2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 443 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40469Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #13261 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 07:59 AM
Senior Member
 
Javelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 273
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpete987 View Post
Hey...

It's kind of a side topic, but...

Does anybody know of any enthusiast sites like this, but for computers?
Check out pcper.com , good hardware reviews and they do a podcast also!
Javelin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13262 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
leojj25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Boston, Mass
Posts: 664
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake View Post
Also they have the Vizio 65 inch p series at Costco for slightly more than the x900e 55. Would you still go with the x900e 55 inch for less or go with the Vizio p 65
If you are able to buy both and compare them at home then that would be a nice idea to try. I have both (49X900E) (P65 E1) and love both for different reasons. Both great TVS. The Vizio has DV HDR and HLG HDR but the Sony gets brighter which makes HDR pop more which in turn makes it a better tv for brighter rooms. Plus the x900e has a built in tuner and the Vizio does not. No wrong choice either way ultimately it comes down to which one you like best.

Vizio P65-E1 // Sony XBR49X900E
Sony Ht-ST5000 // RCA RTS7015B
Chromcast Ultra // Apple TV 4K
PS4 PRO
leojj25 is offline  
post #13263 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 09:26 AM
Senior Member
 
undersinjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What settings are you guys using? I guess I've only compared 4k and 4k hdr Netflix so far with this maybe that's not the best thing to use? Is there going to be much difference between tvs with that? I guess I am just not liking the veiwing angles of the VA panels they are pretty terrible. But it looks like all these tvs in this range are using va. Is there anything that is possibly only slightly pricier that has better viewing angles? Maybe I'm being too picky but Its sort of ridiculous when just sitting on the side couch how almost every living room is set up looks washed out and only the person sitting directly in front if the TV gets a good viewing experience. Maybe I'm just used to it but it's not impressing me much more than my 8 year old samsung ln40b640 and that thing has way better viewing angles. Maybe I need to watch some 4khdr blu rays or something just don't have any yet.
I know I'm complaining a lot just finding that right there is so frustrating.
I might have to get the Vizio m55 e0 and compare them side by side. But that one is va too. But if the viewing angles are going to be terrible might as well pay less if it looks similar.
Or I might just have to pay more but not sure what else to get.

Any help appreciated!
undersinjake is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13264 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Posts: 2,817
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by omston View Post
The 900e has a way about it to make you overlook minor annoyances. I hate to keep slobbering over it but im just blown away every morning when i turn it on. In short i love this tv.

I'm in the same boat as you as they say so dont feel bad! LOL
steve1971 is offline  
post #13265 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 09:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Drew_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 45
An update from my posts a few pages back. I received my 75” 900E that was an out of pocket replacment for a 940D. It’s not even close...the 900E destroys the 940D that I had in motion and sharpness.

Hockey? Beautiful. Animation? No streaks whatsoever. I have yet to see any drop off with black levels or notice less zones. I’m just absolutely in love with this set. It even had a small price drop since I purchased, and was able to get that back with price matching.

I do have one question regarding HDR. On the 940, when HDR was enabled it had it’s own picture setting. Now when I watch HDR, I see that its enabled going into action menu -> picture settings. But rather than having its own “HDR” picture setting, its still on Cinema Pro. I just wanted to confirm that this is expected behavior. I know HDR is working...the Grand Tour looks gorgeous via ATV4k.
steve1971 likes this.
Drew_N is offline  
post #13266 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 09:31 AM
Senior Member
 
undersinjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leojj25 View Post
If you are able to buy both and compare them at home then that would be a nice idea to try. I have both (49X900E) (P65 E1) and love both for different reasons. Both great TVS. The Vizio has DV HDR and HLG HDR but the Sony gets brighter which makes HDR pop more which in turn makes it a better tv for brighter rooms. Plus the x900e has a built in tuner and the Vizio does not. No wrong choice either way ultimately it comes down to which one you like best.
Yeah I might have to do that. Have you compared the m serries e0 to the p series that wasn't updated this year? I just wish these all didn't have VA panels
undersinjake is offline  
post #13267 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 09:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikay View Post
First time long time here.

Am feeling a bit better anyway now that I know I am not the only one experiencing the edge bleed / edge brightness differential / halo effect with my 65". I contacted Sony too and after my initial set of pics they too said it was within spec. I just recently sent another picture and asked them to re-evaluate. I need to check my build date FWIW - I did just take delivery of it about a month ago, and had to wait for it, so it is a fresh one.

To me my TV's panel performance isn't acceptable at all! It's all I can see now when I watch it. Granted my set is still quite new and has low hours on it - some say it might go away with some burn in, others say it won't.

FYI my on my whole screen shot I did edit the brightness and contrast of the picture etc. so the symptom is more noticeable.

My retailer is being cooperative to an extent and offered to buy it back so to speak minus some depreciation, and allow me to upgrade to a 930E for the price difference. However between the "trade in value" of my 900E and the cost difference they are charging me for the 930E it is a $700 difference which I really shouldn't be spending.

Just had to vent. If anyone has success with Sony admitting to this problem, and getting some resolution, please post!
I'm noticing this issue with my TV as well. It's mostly noticeable with dark scenes in movies on cable or Netflix. I don't notice it when gaming or watching 4k Blu Rays. Is there a fix for this? I'm hesitant to swap out the TV because the issue could obviously happen again and could be even worse, with added blooming, which is something that I'm currently not experiencing, but read about. This TV is awesome and it's PQ is amazing, but that is one glaring issue. The funny thing is, I'm not sure I would've noticed it if I didn't read your post.
Dirk504 is offline  
post #13268 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Posts: 2,817
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk504 View Post
I'm noticing this issue with my TV as well. It's mostly noticeable with dark scenes in movies on cable or Netflix. I don't notice it when gaming or watching 4k Blu Rays. Is there a fix for this? I'm hesitant to swap out the TV because the issue could obviously happen again and could be even worse, with added blooming, which is something that I'm currently not experiencing, but read about. This TV is awesome and it's PQ is amazing, but that is one glaring issue. The funny thing is, I'm not sure I would've noticed it if I didn't read your post.
Not having any issues like this with my x900e. No banding, light bleed ect. Nothing. The best tv I've ever owned.
bradman likes this.
steve1971 is offline  
post #13269 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Posts: 2,817
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake View Post
What settings are you guys using? I guess I've only compared 4k and 4k hdr Netflix so far with this maybe that's not the best thing to use? Is there going to be much difference between tvs with that? I guess I am just not liking the veiwing angles of the VA panels they are pretty terrible. But it looks like all these tvs in this range are using va. Is there anything that is possibly only slightly pricier that has better viewing angles? Maybe I'm being too picky but Its sort of ridiculous when just sitting on the side couch how almost every living room is set up looks washed out and only the person sitting directly in front if the TV gets a good viewing experience. Maybe I'm just used to it but it's not impressing me much more than my 8 year old samsung ln40b640 and that thing has way better viewing angles. Maybe I need to watch some 4khdr blu rays or something just don't have any yet.
I know I'm complaining a lot just finding that right there is so frustrating.
I might have to get the Vizio m55 e0 and compare them side by side. But that one is va too. But if the viewing angles are going to be terrible might as well pay less if it looks similar.
Or I might just have to pay more but not sure what else to get.

Any help appreciated!

Alot of tv's using VA panels have issues with viewing angles, always has been that way no matter what brand they are. It's part of the tech. I know from experience I wouldnt touch a Vizio with a 10ft pole but that's just me and as of right now I feel the same for Samsung due to the crap I'm going through with their 4K Blu ray player. My advise is if your not liking the viewing angles on a VA Panel tv then your best bet would be the sets that use IPS panels. But there is trade off's to them as well. Just my thoughts.
steve1971 is offline  
post #13270 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
leojj25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Boston, Mass
Posts: 664
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake View Post
Yeah I might have to do that. Have you compared the m serries e0 to the p series that wasn't updated this year? I just wish these all didn't have VA panels
No I haven't but from my understanding the P series is much better and worth the $ over the M series simply because of more dimming zones and software being a little better for everything else. I have not had any issues with my P series. I personally prefer the VA panel because of better contrast and I am not bothered by the viewing angles but the P55-E1 is an IPS panel FYI.
steve1971 likes this.

Vizio P65-E1 // Sony XBR49X900E
Sony Ht-ST5000 // RCA RTS7015B
Chromcast Ultra // Apple TV 4K
PS4 PRO
leojj25 is offline  
post #13271 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 10:20 AM
Senior Member
 
undersinjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leojj25 View Post
No I haven't but from my understanding the P series is much better and worth the $ over the M series simply because of more dimming zones and software being a little better for everything else. I have not had any issues with my P series. I personally prefer the VA panel because of better contrast and I am not bothered by the viewing angles but the P55-E1 is an IPS panel FYI.

Ah yes it would be nice to try the p55 but I am having trouble finding it anywhere. Even Costco doesn't seem to have the p series on their site anymore. I found a store with some.but only the 65 inch.

I just don't know if I see a huge difference in contrast between an ips and va and the VA has a lot worse viewing angles so not sure if it's worth the trade off though. Are there any suggestions for some good ips panels? I have been looking but they don't always list the panel type which is annoying. Thanks for the help
undersinjake is offline  
post #13272 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 10:20 AM
Member
 
Sanookdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake View Post
What settings are you guys using? I guess I've only compared 4k and 4k hdr Netflix so far with this maybe that's not the best thing to use? Is there going to be much difference between tvs with that? I guess I am just not liking the veiwing angles of the VA panels they are pretty terrible. But it looks like all these tvs in this range are using va. Is there anything that is possibly only slightly pricier that has better viewing angles? Maybe I'm being too picky but Its sort of ridiculous when just sitting on the side couch how almost every living room is set up looks washed out and only the person sitting directly in front if the TV gets a good viewing experience. Maybe I'm just used to it but it's not impressing me much more than my 8 year old samsung ln40b640 and that thing has way better viewing angles. Maybe I need to watch some 4khdr blu rays or something just don't have any yet.
I know I'm complaining a lot just finding that right there is so frustrating.
I might have to get the Vizio m55 e0 and compare them side by side. But that one is va too. But if the viewing angles are going to be terrible might as well pay less if it looks similar.
Or I might just have to pay more but not sure what else to get.

Any help appreciated!
There's a spreadsheet floating around in this thread which has tons of settings to try. I'm no videophile so I'm just using CinemaPro's default setting for now (I just changed the brightness). Everything looks great to me.

In terms of viewing angles, my 900e beats the MU8000 by a long shot in my living room. So it could be worse.
bradman, steve1971 and Mac128 like this.

My Home theater Set-Up:
Sony XBR75X900E (Prior TVs included LG OLED65B6P, Samsung KS8000/8500, KU6300)
LG LAS465 2.1-Channel 300W Sound Bar w/ Wireless Subwoofer
Philips BDP7501 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player with HDR support
Other TV: Sony XBR49X900E (Returned Samsung UN49MU8000FXZA)
Sanookdi is offline  
post #13273 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Colorful Colorado
Posts: 3,756
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2080 Post(s)
Liked: 1572
I initially bought the 49" Sony 900E after reading many reviews and also hearing about "HDR" and how great the picture was. I also wanted a full array design after living with banding for five years with my Samsung 65" edge lit set. The Sony 49" 900E was purchased for our bedroom and after watching it for a month, I knew I had to upgrade my man cave with the beastly 75" 900E.

What I did not know at the time of purchase was the superior capabilities of the Sony 4K HDR Processor X1 and the "upscaling" effect - especially on non 4K sources. Of course, 4K and HDR material look incredible but that is not my main source of content which is Comcast cable & regular broadcast TV. Another bonus is the incredible shadow detail you get with the Sony 900E. Once you have the picture settings dialed in - - it's an absolutely incredible picture! Fabulous color, clarity and detail.

Those of you coming from Vizio or other brands - - this is what you will notice the most in comparing picture quality.

Is the Sony 900E a perfect TV? No. No TV is. Price performance wise - is it best in class, best in breed? Absolutely. A genuine, gold medal winner.


Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, Denon X6700H & Emotiva XPA-3, OPPO 103 - 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's-V.5 (FL/FR), CC-690-V.5 (C), ADP 590-V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub, Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides). Stereo 2 Channel Only - Dali Evidence 470 & MartinLogan Forte Amplifier/Streamer with ARC.
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #13274 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Posts: 2,817
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
I initially bought the 49" Sony 900E after reading many reviews and also hearing about "HDR" and how great the picture was. I also wanted a full array design after living with banding for five years with my Samsung 65" edge lit set. The Sony 49" 900E was purchased for our bedroom and after watching it for a month, I knew I had to upgrade my man cave with the beastly 75" 900E.

What I did not know at the time of purchase was the superior capabilities of the Sony 4K HDR Processor X1 and the "upscaling" effect - especially on non 4K sources. Of course, 4K and HDR material look incredible but that is not my main source of content which is Comcast cable & regular broadcast TV. Another bonus is the incredible shadow detail you get with the Sony 900E. Once you have the picture settings dialed in - - it's an absolutely incredible picture! Fabulous color, clarity and detail.

Those of you coming from Vizio or other brands - - this is what you will notice the most in comparing picture quality.

Is the Sony 900E a perfect TV? No. No TV is. Price performance wise - is it best in class, best in breed? Absolutely. A genuine, gold medal winner.


I couldnt agree more! Well said.
steve1971 is offline  
post #13275 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 10:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I've had my 65" 900E for about two weeks now and i absolutely love it.
Just a few things though about what i've been experiencing so far with this set.
Viewing angles are actually better than what i've read in the reviews prior to buying.
The room i watch it in is pretty bright and this set handles the glare very well, no complaints here.
As far as edge bleeding it seems very minimal on my set, only really notice it when i'm looking for it.
Netflix is un f**king believable! I can stand nose against the tv (not that i actually do that) while viewing and not notice any imperfections.
As far as sports goes so far it seems different channels come in a little better than others.
I'm on the Xfinity X1 platform in NJ and watch a lot of Devils games and they're ok but i think it's mainly my MSG feed that's not great so clarity could be a little better on that.
ESPN, FS1, and NBCSN are great so far as well as the local CBS, ABC, etc.. broadcasts.
I've haven't noticed any issues with motion blur, blotchiness, or flicker while watching sports.
Premium channels like HBO, SHO, etc.. all look great as well. Even broadcasts in SD aren't too bad, much better than my old set.
As for settings i've been using Ricoflashback setting from the spreadsheet when i'm bouncing back and forth between regular tv shows and sports, and the Rtings settings while viewing movies and shows on Netflix.
Everyday the picture seems to get better, i'm really impressed with this tv and don't regret my choice.
Venez68 is offline  
post #13276 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 11:21 AM
Member
 
dshmel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 133
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 71


I am now the proud owner of a 65" 900E. I too, had a Samsung edge lit TV (KS8000) and had to ultimately return it because of vertical banding. So far I am impressed with the white screen uniformity (I watch a lot of hockey) and the overall PQ. Looking forward to reading the posts in this thread to get the most out of the TV.

Last edited by dshmel; 03-06-2018 at 04:43 AM.
dshmel is offline  
post #13277 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 11:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I'm sending mines back to Amazon this Friday and buying one from Best Buy after work today. Since they're now on sale at Best Buy, the price will be the same. Hopefully the new one won't have any issues with the edge bleed.

I'm using Ricoflashback settings for all 3 imports and they're awesome!
Dirk504 is offline  
post #13278 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 11:32 AM
Senior Member
 
undersinjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
I initially bought the 49" Sony 900E after reading many reviews and also hearing about "HDR" and how great the picture was. I also wanted a full array design after living with banding for five years with my Samsung 65" edge lit set. The Sony 49" 900E was purchased for our bedroom and after watching it for a month, I knew I had to upgrade my man cave with the beastly 75" 900E.

What I did not know at the time of purchase was the superior capabilities of the Sony 4K HDR Processor X1 and the "upscaling" effect - especially on non 4K sources. Of course, 4K and HDR material look incredible but that is not my main source of content which is Comcast cable & regular broadcast TV. Another bonus is the incredible shadow detail you get with the Sony 900E. Once you have the picture settings dialed in - - it's an absolutely incredible picture! Fabulous color, clarity and detail.

Those of you coming from Vizio or other brands - - this is what you will notice the most in comparing picture quality.

Is the Sony 900E a perfect TV? No. No TV is. Price performance wise - is it best in class, best in breed? Absolutely. A genuine, gold medal winner.

Can you share what settings you are using? Also anyone know what page or post number the spreadsheet is on?
I have the 55 inch version but do you think a 65 inch will help with viewing angles on the side? I guess you'd be the same distance from center but would have more tv on the sides if that makes sense lol

Also is anyone else's software pretty slow? Maybe there is something wrong with mine but it's pretty laggy when going through menus

Last edited by undersinjake; 03-05-2018 at 11:38 AM.
undersinjake is offline  
post #13279 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 11:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Alot of tv's using VA panels have issues with viewing angles, always has been that way no matter what brand they are. It's part of the tech. I know from experience I wouldnt touch a Vizio with a 10ft pole but that's just me and as of right now I feel the same for Samsung due to the crap I'm going through with their 4K Blu ray player. My advise is if your not liking the viewing angles on a VA Panel tv then your best bet would be the sets that use IPS panels. But there is trade off's to them as well. Just my thoughts.
I have a "U" shaped setup in my great room; 2-seat recliner directly in line with my TV and 2 3-seat sofas on the left and right so laying down the viewing angle is about 15-18% offset. I'm replacing my 2016 Sammy 55" SUHD (going on the bedroom) with a 65" and its a toss up between the Sammy MU8000 or the Sony 900E (bestbuy reduced the price another $200). My current Sammy looks very good from the offset angle.
DesiD is offline  
post #13280 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mac128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 931
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake View Post
What settings are you guys using? I guess I've only compared 4k and 4k hdr Netflix so far with this maybe that's not the best thing to use? Is there going to be much difference between tvs with that? I guess I am just not liking the veiwing angles of the VA panels they are pretty terrible. But it looks like all these tvs in this range are using va. Is there anything that is possibly only slightly pricier that has better viewing angles? Maybe I'm being too picky but Its sort of ridiculous when just sitting on the side couch how almost every living room is set up looks washed out and only the person sitting directly in front if the TV gets a good viewing experience. Maybe I'm just used to it but it's not impressing me much more than my 8 year old samsung ln40b640 and that thing has way better viewing angles. Maybe I need to watch some 4khdr blu rays or something just don't have any yet.
I know I'm complaining a lot just finding that right there is so frustrating.
I might have to get the Vizio m55 e0 and compare them side by side. But that one is va too. But if the viewing angles are going to be terrible might as well pay less if it looks similar.
Or I might just have to pay more but not sure what else to get.

Any help appreciated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake View Post
Yeah I might have to do that. Have you compared the m serries e0 to the p series that wasn't updated this year? I just wish these all didn't have VA panels
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake View Post
Ah yes it would be nice to try the p55 but I am having trouble finding it anywhere. Even Costco doesn't seem to have the p series on their site anymore. I found a store with some.but only the 65 inch.

I just don't know if I see a huge difference in contrast between an ips and va and the VA has a lot worse viewing angles so not sure if it's worth the trade off though. Are there any suggestions for some good ips panels? I have been looking but they don't always list the panel type which is annoying. Thanks for the help
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake View Post
If I bought a Roku or a chrome cast ultra would then be able to get HDR youtube? haven't ever used it so not sure if I need it but just something to consider. I also have a Samsung s8 plus that I can cast to the tv would I be able to do youtube HDR that way?

Also I just bought the x900e 55 inch today and took back the tcl p series. I am not sure if it is worth the extra money yet. I did not like the TCL and this TV is definitely better just not super impressed yet. The viewing angles are still not very good. Sitting on my side couch that is only a little bit off center there is still a noticeable difference. This is the issue with VA I don't think the black level difference between VA and IPS is enough to give up the viewing angle. My 8 year old 40 inch Samsung LN40B640 that this is replacing has a way better viewing angle. I have really only compared Netflix 4k HDR so maybe that doesn't ever really look that great? Idk this is the first time using it. Also, the interface on this TV is SLOW. Is this how it is for everyone?
Almost thinking I need to spend even more to get something from this decade that is comparable in quality to my old Samsung. Maybe I just need to change the settings...
sigh, this search is so difficult! I really just don't want to spend upwards of 2000 or more on a TV right now.
Bottom line:

You need to decide what your priorities are. For most of us here, we're looking for a mid-range TV that will get us as close to OLED performance as possible with an LED.

Nothing produced so far has the blacks afforded by the 900E in this range. You're complaining about the viewing angle for mostly watching Netflix movies, and I would argue that you don't want to watch movies off-axis as you describe your setup. If the viewing angle is important to you, then you will have to sacrifice the black levels this TV affords, for the wider viewing angles of an IPS panel.

I have a 720p 32" Samsung panel from the same era yours is. While the picture looks sharper than my 65" TV due to the much smaller pixel size and average viewing distance, there is no doubt that the PQ is so much worse. There is no contrast whatsoever. The whole panel looks gray in a dark scene. The 900E is a whole other experience. If you're not seeing that then you you really need to adjust your settings.

That said, again, if you don't care about the black levels, and think they are no more impressive properly adjusted on the 900E than your smaller, older Samsung, then you don't need the 900E, especially if you want a wider viewing angle. Take it back now. Because if you don't like the viewing angle, then you're never going to be happy with it. There are no perfect TVs, every one will have a trade off -- your priority is viewing angle.

However, I don't notice a significant viewing angle drop off, at least not one worth reporting. Oh I see it when I deliberately stand in front of the TV and move off-axis, side-to-side, and up-and-down, but generally speaking with the exception of some color saturation loss, I don't notice it and it doesn't bother me. But as I said before ... if you're primarily watching Netflix movies, the last place I'd want to be sitting is off to the side of the room from the TV. Then again, if you're watching movies from that angle routinely, then you likely don't care that much about picture quality in the first place -- other than glaring imperfections that is.
rlindo and omston like this.
Mac128 is offline  
post #13281 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mac128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 931
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake View Post
Also is anyone else's software pretty slow? Maybe there is something wrong with mine but it's pretty laggy when going through menus
The Android TV OS is terrible. Best case scenario is to disable as much background apps and tasks as possible and use outboard gear for your streaming needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiD View Post
I have a "U" shaped setup in my great room; 2-seat recliner directly in line with my TV and 2 3-seat sofas on the left and right so laying down the viewing angle is about 15-18% offset. I'm replacing my 2016 Sammy 55" SUHD (going on the bedroom) with a 65" and its a toss up between the Sammy MU8000 or the Sony 900E (bestbuy reduced the price another $200). My current Sammy looks very good from the offset angle.
I returned the MU8000 -- edge bleed was horrific in a dark room watching a letterboxes movie. That said, if you mostly watch sports then the MU8000 had a beautiful bright picture.

The viewing angle on the 900E may not be appropriate for viewing from extreme side angles. It doesn't particularly bother me, but it is there nevertheless. I wouldn't say the 900E is significantly worse than the MU8000 in off-axis viewing, but it's definitely there.
DesiD likes this.
Mac128 is offline  
post #13282 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 12:03 PM
Senior Member
 
undersinjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
Bottom line:

You need to decide what your priorities are. For most of us here, we're looking for a mid-range TV that will get us as close to OLED performance as possible with an LED.

Nothing produced so far has the blacks afforded by the 900E in this range. You're complaining about the viewing angle for mostly watching Netflix movies, and I would argue that you don't want to watch movies off-axis as you describe your setup. If the viewing angle is important to you, then you will have to sacrifice the black levels this TV affords, for the wider viewing angles of an IPS panel.

I have a 720p 32" Samsung panel from the same era yours is. While the picture looks sharper than my 65" TV due to the much smaller pixel size and average viewing distance, there is no doubt that the PQ is so much worse. There is no contrast whatsoever. The whole panel looks gray in a dark scene. The 900E is a whole other experience. If you're not seeing that then you you really need to adjust your settings.

That said, again, if you don't care about the black levels, and think they are no more impressive properly adjusted on the 900E than your smaller, older Samsung, then you don't need the 900E, especially if you want a wider viewing angle. Take it back now. Because if you don't like the viewing angle, then you're never going to be happy with it. There are no perfect TVs, every one will have a trade off -- your priority is viewing angle.

However, I don't notice a significant viewing angle drop off, at least not one worth reporting. Oh I see it when I deliberately stand in front of the TV and move off-axis, side-to-side, and up-and-down, but generally speaking with the exception of some color saturation loss, I don't notice it and it doesn't bother me. But as I said before ... if you're primarily watching Netflix movies, the last place I'd want to be sitting is off to the side of the room from the TV. Then again, if you're watching movies from that angle routinely, then you likely don't care that much about picture quality in the first place -- other than glaring imperfections that is.

I am at work now so I'll reply later with more about my current setup. But for now would a 65 inch provide better viewing angles than a 55 because there is more screen in your view or would it be worse because you'd be further from the far corners?
undersinjake is offline  
post #13283 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 12:05 PM
Senior Member
 
undersinjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
The Android TV OS is terrible. Best case scenario is to disable as much background apps and tasks as possible and use outboard gear for your streaming needs.



I returned the MU8000 -- edge bleed was horrific in a dark room watching a letterboxes movie. That said, if you mostly watch sports then the MU8000 had a beautiful bright picture.

The viewing angle on the 900E may not be appropriate for viewing from extreme side angles. It doesn't particularly bother me, but it is there nevertheless. I wouldn't say the 900E is significantly worse than the MU8000 in off-axis viewing, but it's definitely there.
Good to know but somewhat unfortunate.
The tcl Roku os was pretty snappy. I have a fire TV but the older non 4k version so I'll have to get a new one or a Roku or something
undersinjake is offline  
post #13284 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 12:34 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake View Post
Good to know but somewhat unfortunate.
The tcl Roku os was pretty snappy. I have a fire TV but the older non 4k version so I'll have to get a new one or a Roku or something
Hmmm, this is giving me pause. Assumed I could use Kodi instead of buying another Nvidia Shield (or similar). Is it THAT bad? On a slightly different topic, rtings.com suggests the sound isn't that great, would it be acceptable enough for a bedroom TV?
coolkidsdoit is offline  
post #13285 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 12:40 PM
Senior Member
 
undersinjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkidsdoit View Post
Hmmm, this is giving me pause. Assumed I could use Kodi instead of buying another Nvidia Shield (or similar). Is it THAT bad? On a slightly different topic, rtings.com suggests the sound isn't that great, would it be acceptable enough for a bedroom TV?
I mean it's a tv so the sound isn't too great but I definitely thought it was above average and think it'd be ok for a bedroom.
And I guess it's not THAT bad but will liter have like a second pause when opening menues or scrolling between apps on the main screen a lot of times. Can you get Kodi directly on the TV? It is bad enough though that I think it's going to get very annoying and worth spending the extra 50 to 80 dollars on a Roku or fire TV or something. It's usable though if you don't want to spend that.
undersinjake is offline  
post #13286 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rlindo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 6,328
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake View Post
I am at work now so I'll reply later with more about my current setup. But for now would a 65 inch provide better viewing angles than a 55 because there is more screen in your view or would it be worse because you'd be further from the far corners?
Yes, the bigger the screen the less you'll notice that from the same seating distance.

I know you mentioned having a B640 before and made a comment about getting the same quality as it. I didn't have a B640 but did have a Sammy 46D630 which I imagine was similar and while it was a nice set, the 900E is clearly superior in basically every way. I can't comment on the viewing angles though since I don't have the 630 to compare. It wouldn't surprise me if the D630 was a little better there though.

As for settings, on this 75" I am testing out, Cinema Pro was very accurate out of the box with me just having to turn the B-gain setting down to -3. I also bumped the gamma up to -1 since I was targeting a 2.3 curve instead of what I gather is 2.4 that the -2 default setting gives. If this were my TV then I'd keep it at 2.4 in my dark room yet it will be going in a room with more light so I went for 2.3.

With the OS, I don't find it to be terribly slow. I read all these comments on the Android system Sony uses being so slow and clunky I was expecting a disaster and I fail to see the huge complaints. Then again, I have only gone into the picture setting menu and Netflix so maybe the issues are elsewhere.

This is a very nice tv and if you aren't impressed with the performance then you'll probably need to go for an OLED as there isn't going to be anything in the same price range that is going to be a big improvement, if an improvement at all. This is especially true with viewing angles.
rlindo is offline  
post #13287 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 12:57 PM
Member
 
johnbrooke26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake View Post
Can you share what settings you are using? Also anyone know what page or post number the spreadsheet is on?
I have the 55 inch version but do you think a 65 inch will help with viewing angles on the side? I guess you'd be the same distance from center but would have more tv on the sides if that makes sense lol

Also is anyone else's software pretty slow? Maybe there is something wrong with mine but it's pretty laggy when going through menus
Post #10996 has a link to the spreadsheet with Rico's settings, among many others. Good luck!
Ricoflashback likes this.

Sony XBR-##X900E Picture Settings Summary spreadsheet
Vizio 2015 M-series Picture Settings Summary spreadsheet
Sony XBR-65X900E | Vizio M65-C1 | Yamaha TSR-7790BL AVR | DirecTV HR54-700 Genie | DirecTV C61K-700 4K Genie Minis | Roku Streaming Stick+ | XBox One Elite | AppleTV Gen 3 | Panasonic Blu-ray
johnbrooke26 is offline  
post #13288 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 01:00 PM
Senior Member
 
undersinjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
Yes, the bigger the screen the less you'll notice that from the same seating distance.

I know you mentioned having a B640 before and made a comment about getting the same quality as it. I didn't have a B640 but did have a Sammy 46D630 which I imagine was similar and while it was a nice set, the 900E is clearly superior in basically every way. I can't comment on the viewing angles though since I don't have the 630 to compare. It wouldn't surprise me if the D630 was a little better there though.

As for settings, on this 75" I am testing out, Cinema Pro was very accurate out of the box with me just having to turn the B-gain setting down to -3. I also bumped the gamma up to -1 since I was targeting a 2.3 curve instead of what I gather is 2.4 that the -2 default setting gives. If this were my TV then I'd keep it at 2.4 in my dark room yet it will be going in a room with more light so I went for 2.3.

With the OS, I don't find it to be terribly slow. I read all these comments on the Android system Sony uses being so slow and clunky I was expecting a disaster and I fail to see the huge complaints. Then again, I have only gone into the picture setting menu and Netflix so maybe the issues are elsewhere.

This is a very nice tv and if you aren't impressed with the performance then you'll probably need to go for an OLED as there isn't going to be anything in the same price range that is going to be a big improvement, if an improvement at all. This is especially true with viewing angles.
Thanks for the response. Maybe I'll just try that 65 inch and see if that helps. I am always impressed with OLED in the stores but everyone always says it's not as good after awhile when you actually own it. Are the 1500 lg OLEDs even any good or do you need to spend a lot more for a decent oled set?

I had the Samsung ln40b640 in my house in AZ and we actually just moved to San Francisco and I didn't bring it with me so I don't have it to directly compare. I just remember it having pretty good black levels and clarity especially compared to other 1080p Samsungs and lgs from recent years. Everyone always complimented on it except for obviously the size and huge bezels. I thought it was an ips panel but now not sure.
undersinjake is offline  
post #13289 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mac128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 931
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkidsdoit View Post
Hmmm, this is giving me pause. Assumed I could use Kodi instead of buying another Nvidia Shield (or similar). Is it THAT bad? On a slightly different topic, rtings.com suggests the sound isn't that great, would it be acceptable enough for a bedroom TV?
I actually use the built-in speakers for everyday TV watching, even most movies unless it's an "event" where I get out the popcorn LOL. I don't mind them at all, and they verbally sound pretty good. I adjusted the internal equalizer, and added a wireless subwoofer via the headphone jack. That said, without the sub, the sound would be severely lacking. However, for a bedroom TV it's more than adequate. If you can justify adding even a small desktop sub to the system, it'll really make a difference to overall sound. But if you can't it'll be fine for the bedroom.

Here's the thing about the OS -- it's sluggish. I hate pressing the volume button, and not knowing if it's working or not because the volume indicator doesn't immediately appear. Sometimes it doesn't appear at all even though the volume is changing, but that's rare. Usually it's just a short lag. It may not bother you like it does me.

However, streaming a 4K HDR movie on the internal Amazon app and trying to adjust picture settings, will cause the movie to stutter and menus to open slowly. Otherwise they're not that bad.

Again, it's all about what you can tolerate. I'd just as soon not have to deal with it.
Mac128 is offline  
post #13290 of 19671 Old 03-05-2018, 02:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 50
@undersinjake I have mine sitting on a stand at center eye level as others have stated above or below i see a difference in contrast but as long as i'm seated at eye level i can get a good picture maybe 20 deg off center.
omston is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off