2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 446 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40445Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #13351 of 19525 Old 03-06-2018, 10:58 PM
Senior Member
 
undersinjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
Yeah, I'm not willing to invest that much into a TV which is at the low end of its class. I assume you read the rtings.com review of your specific OLED set, which says it has as long as a 10 minute picture retention? That's not true of the other models, so no, they're not all the same panel with different bells and whistles. It's those kinds of issues which will keep me away from OLED, especially a bottom-end model, until it's been out there a few years.

That said, I returned an LG 65" LED which had a horrible picture. While I'd certainly give them a shot for OLED, I would never buy another LG LED. But I totally agree about the TV OS -- LG was a dream to use. Their Web OS is likely the best Smart TV interface their is at the moment. Even so, the Android TV OS doesn't bother me, because I have an Apple TV 4K, which now that it offers Amazon Prime, I use it for everything, and don't even touch the onboard smart apps.
But they are the same and same chipset so I don't see how one would have more burn in then the other...
Also I just don't feel like those tests accurately reflect real world usage. Idk I'm not that worried about it and have a good return window with Costco aomif it's really bad at least there is that.
Plus the Sony is at the bottom end of their range so what's the difference? You could say the same thing and say you're not willing to spend that much for the bottom of theirs and then go even lower for a different tv? I do agree about the older lg LEDs I had a buddy who had one and I just have never been a fan of lg tvs except for this so far.
undersinjake is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13352 of 19525 Old 03-06-2018, 11:06 PM
Senior Member
 
undersinjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 423
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Dova View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it just seems a little troll like to post that stuff here in the 900E thread. I am writing this on my x1 Yoga Thinkpad OLED, so I stare at OLED screen a lot. OLED is great for reading, writing, viewing photos, and using Photoshop. And the most obvious, yes black is black. But I own two 900Es and they are right up there with the OLED in terms of color reproduction and the blacks are ridiculously good for a non OLED panel. What source material were you using to compare sets a few pages back, probably a cable box I reckon...

Arguing points of image and panel quality are subjective, everyone has different taste. Some people prefer deep blacks, some prefer motion. Some are easily bothered by inaccurate color and others need brightness. Everyone also has different viewing conditions, so one person's need might not be another's. The 900E just so happens to check a lot of boxes while also coming in at a very decent price, hence its popularity. To many owners the 900E is the Goldilock's principle. Congrats on making the right decision for yourself and enjoy your time in the OLED owners forum smoking cigars and drinking brandy
You're right and I apologize. But I never meant it that way the only reason I ever even posted about here was because others have had the same question and I was geniunly trying to choose between the Sony and the LG and have both right now. If I didn't keep the LG I would definitely keep the Sony compared to the other choices out there. And no I don't even have cable I use PS Vue and I was comparing Netflix 4k and hdr which is what I watch the most of. I don't have a 4k Blu Ray player or anything yet.
undersinjake is offline  
post #13353 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 25,739
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7318 Post(s)
Liked: 7346
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Ooh man oh man does Grand Tour look amazing on this set!
Most things do Last year, around this time, Sony released the best and most affordable FALD set ever....... Period !
steve1971 and subacabra like this.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13354 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 07:03 AM
Newbie
 
solid12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just picked this TV up last night at BB. I admit i've kept out of the loop with changing TV technologies and I was just shocked and amazed how black LCDs can get now, the black on the 900 was actually darker than the bezel, and this was in a bright showroom. I had originally been waiting to jump on the OLED train but this gives it a run for its money without all the nasty side effects.
solid12345 is offline  
post #13355 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 07:27 AM
Member
 
marcusb84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by solid12345 View Post
Just picked this TV up last night at BB. I admit i've kept out of the loop with changing TV technologies and I was just shocked and amazed how black LCDs can get now, the black on the 900 was actually darker than the bezel, and this was in a bright showroom. I had originally been waiting to jump on the OLED train but this gives it a run for its money without all the nasty side effects.
The bright lighting would make it easier for the screen to look black vs the shiny bezel.
marcusb84 is offline  
post #13356 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
al210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Dova View Post
I bought one from Best Buy and one from Amazon. The one from Amazon had a residual crack in the screen, seemingly from the extra shipping and handling. I returned it and bought another from Best Buy, both are close to perfect. I suspect that Best Buy handles their own shipping and handling and takes much better care than the average UPS or Fed Ex employee. We have all seen the videos of them tossing packages around like rag dolls during the holidays. IMO you have a better chance of getting a perfect panel from BB, and returns are easier and much faster than mailing it back to Amazon.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Mine is being delivered tomorrow from Pilot Freight. Fingers crossed. Origin was only 1 state away from where I live so not too many stops in between.
I'm curious to know how many of these really get damaged in deliveries. This is how these delivery companies make their money so I would think their lively hood depends on taking care of what ever they are shipping. I have had two other 65" sets delivered over the past 5 or so years with no issues. Hope I didn't jinx myself.
J_Dova likes this.

LG 77C9 OLED Theatre Room- LG 65EF9500 OLED Living Room
Panasonic UB820 Blu-Ray Player - Denon X4500H AVR
Chord 2Qute DAC - Rogue RP-1 Pre Amp - Rogue Atlas Magnum II Tube Amp

Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Speakers--B&W HTM62 Center--Axiom QS4 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos Speaker Addons -- SVS PC-2000 SUBWOOFER
al210 is offline  
post #13357 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
TonyS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 738
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I'm going to follow rico's lead and make my second, and last, post regarding this whole OLED vs 900E business...

Looking at comparable sizes (i.e., 65" OLED vs. 65" 900E), I would hope to God that the OLED at upwards of $1K+ more, looks better! If not, I'd be pretty pi$$ed off and beating myself senseless! These are two different technologies - each with their strengths and weaknesses.

I came from a 50" Panasonic V-Series Plasma that, at the time, was the top of their line. I was dead set on getting an OLED to replace it and spent a year or so researching, etc., all the time not even considering LED. Every time I went into the store, I was impressed with the OLEDs but, at the same time, I almost always saw burn-in. Now, knowing they play loops repeatedly and coming from a plasma, I really had no concerns about burn-in (my 8+ year old plasma has none). It wasn't until I started reading the OLED threads about the burn-in that I became concerned. Even then, I still strongly considered it as I was still comparing it to my plasma and IR/BI on that technology. What finally pushed me away from pursuing OLED was LG's response to the burn-in issue - which is basically giving a big middle finger to everyone who has a problem, despite marketing the TV that burn-in is not a concern and next to impossible to get).

So, wanting a bigger screen, that pushed me to look into full-array LED sets. I spent a good 8 months researching the 900E before taking the plunge on the 65". Aside from gaining an almost 70% increase in screen real estate, this TV is better (overall and IMO) than my plasma (and, yes, I calibrate my sets using test patterns, blue filters, etc. and not just relying on settings posted online). The black levels are superior - something I never would have imagined - and I have no issues with motion. The only area the Sony falls behind the plasma in is the viewing angles (which I knew going in). Fortunately for me, it is a non-issue where the TV is set up in the home theater. My only regret about getting the 900E is that I waited until the Black Friday time to do it! While my wallet appreciates the savings, I regret not having it sooner to enjoy!

In the end, I am hoping to get a good 5 years out of this set before "retiring" it to another room. At that point, I can assess the state of OLED and LED technology and whatever else is new out there.

I will now return to regularly-scheduled 900E programming...
TonyS is offline  
post #13358 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
Derek87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Keep the original box? [how would i get warranty work done?]

we just purchased hastily (our 10 year old Bravia TV died) this weekend the 55x900e, a floor model for a great price, and am very impressed thus far.

i was hoping to get feedback and maybe experience from the collective group here: should i keep the box for more than 30 days? (return policy of my local retailer)

if something went wrong in the first 1-2 years (using extended warranty on my credit card to get the 2nd year), how would i make a warranty claim? does Sony provide in-home warranty services or would i bring it to an authorized Sony repair facility? (i live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so i would assume that there have to be a few authorized repair places around)

i'd love to hear some thoughts and experiences on this. i'm still mulling over the 5 year extended warranty offered to me (i have 30 days to take it, but not sure its worth $120-- any side thoughts on this?), but i have never bought extended warranties for my TVs in the past.

thanks!
Derek87 is offline  
post #13359 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
Todd Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Posts: 928
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
we just purchased hastily (our 10 year old Bravia TV died) this weekend the 55x900e, a floor model for a great price, and am very impressed thus far.

i was hoping to get feedback and maybe experience from the collective group here: should i keep the box for more than 30 days? (return policy of my local retailer)

if something went wrong in the first 1-2 years (using extended warranty on my credit card to get the 2nd year), how would i make a warranty claim? does Sony provide in-home warranty services or would i bring it to an authorized Sony repair facility? (i live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so i would assume that there have to be a few authorized repair places around)

i'd love to hear some thoughts and experiences on this. i'm still mulling over the 5 year extended warranty offered to me (i have 30 days to take it, but not sure its worth $120-- any side thoughts on this?), but i have never bought extended warranties for my TVs in the past.

thanks!
I think beyond the 30 days, a tech needs to come out if you have a problem. $120 isn't bad for 5 years. If you have to repair it just once that will pay for itself. But only if you keep the TV that long.

I threw my box in the cold storage room. It's always a good thing to have if you move, or sell the TV in the future. I know not everyone has space to store such a large box.

Last edited by Todd Scott; 03-07-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Todd Scott is offline  
post #13360 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 08:38 AM
Member
 
guitarpete987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
I haven't seen this behavior with my 75" set but that doesn't mean you aren't seeing it. Sony is usually very good to work with. What are your settings? Maybe other 75" Sony 900E owners can chime in here. You would think that there isn't a "break in" time for a TV like this but keep an eye on it and see if you still notice it after watching the panel for a couple of days. If it still persists - - document and work with Sony to get the panel corrected or replaced.
There most definitely IS a break-in on these TVs. When I first got it, I went through several returns -- four in total -- because my sets had "edge haloing". Now that I went through a sizable break in period, a month of use and one of those weeks doing a "hard" break in where I ran content continuously for a week 24 hours a day, I can honestly say that any edge haloing has faded out almost completely.

I can still see it WAAAAAY faintly on the right side, but it's definitely to the point where I cannot see it or notice it whatsoever on normal viewing unless I totally strain to look for it. And if you're doing that constantly, straining to look for it, I think that might come down to one's own psychological issues.

I'm thinking a lot of us just get too impatient. We need to let even these LED panels work through some stuff and warm up a bit before we give up on them.

TV: Sony XBR65X900E
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V479
Speakers: Fronts: Sony SS-F6000, Center: Sony SS-CN5000 , Rears: Sony SS-B1000, Sub: Sony SA-W3000
-pete-
guitarpete987 is offline  
post #13361 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 09:27 AM
Member
 
RolandM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Apple TV 4K Apps vs TV Apps

Both my television and ATV have ethernet connections to my router. It seems to me that the ATV apps perform better than the TV's apps; better picture, faster, etc. Does anyone else here see a difference between the two sources?
Thanks.
RolandM is online now  
post #13362 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 09:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 50
My Onkyo TX-NR515 quit outputing sound all together today. I tried a factory reset and unplug reset and it didn't help. I'm not using the sync just switching manually the onscreen menus and video pass thru look fine, just no audio. I'm not getting sound from the fm tuner either did this thing just give it up or am i missing something?
omston is offline  
post #13363 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
jayw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Northern Va. USA
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by omston View Post
My Onkyo TX-NR515 quit outputing sound all together today. I tried a factory reset and unplug reset and it didn't help. I'm not using the sync just switching manually the onscreen menus and video pass thru look fine, just no audio. I'm not getting sound from the fm tuner either did this thing just give it up or am i missing something?
So I'm about ready to take the plunge on the XBR75X900E. The lack of Dolby Vision is my only hesitation. If something is authored for Dolby Vision will it "degrade gracefully" to HDR10 on this set or will the content just not be rendered in HDR? I have looked everywhere for the answer to this question but just couldn't find it.

Thanks!

Check here later for a thoughtful, funny, profound .sig line.
jayw is offline  
post #13364 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
al210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayw View Post
So I'm about ready to take the plunge on the XBR75X900E. The lack of Dolby Vision is my only hesitation. If something is authored for Dolby Vision will it "degrade gracefully" to HDR10 on this set or will the content just not be rendered in HDR? I have looked everywhere for the answer to this question but just couldn't find it.

Thanks!
So far any content that has Dolby Vision will also have HDR10.

LG 77C9 OLED Theatre Room- LG 65EF9500 OLED Living Room
Panasonic UB820 Blu-Ray Player - Denon X4500H AVR
Chord 2Qute DAC - Rogue RP-1 Pre Amp - Rogue Atlas Magnum II Tube Amp

Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Speakers--B&W HTM62 Center--Axiom QS4 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos Speaker Addons -- SVS PC-2000 SUBWOOFER
al210 is offline  
post #13365 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mac128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 931
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by al210 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayw View Post
So I'm about ready to take the plunge on the XBR75X900E. The lack of Dolby Vision is my only hesitation. If something is authored for Dolby Vision will it "degrade gracefully" to HDR10 on this set or will the content just not be rendered in HDR? I have looked everywhere for the answer to this question but just couldn't find it.

Thanks!
So far any content that has Dolby Vision will also have HDR10.
While that's true for Blu-Ray, I'm not sure every streaming service that offers DV also offers HDR-10. Vudu for example states that their HDR is offered via Dolby Vision. I don't have a Vudu app that supports UHD HDR to test, but that statement implies some kind of exclusivity. As for Netflix, and Apple, they most definitely stream in HDR, where DV is otherwise indicated (as well as HDR in 1080o). If Amazon is offering content with DV outside of the HDR content they offer I wouldn't know it. So at least the major streaming services seem to have this covered. So I'm not sure we can yet say conclusively that HDR-10 is offered wherever DV is otherwise indicated.
Ricoflashback likes this.
Mac128 is offline  
post #13366 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 11:06 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake View Post
Ive always thought the OLEDs looked way better than everything else in the store so I definitely think you can tell even if its not side by side. In fact, I always felt something was missing with the x900e even though I didn't have the oled yet to compare. The OLED is much closer to the quality of my Samsung s8 plus, MacBook Pro, PC monitor etc. I do agree that size is more important than PQ to most people but I don't get that. Most people don't even really know the difference of quality in different cell phone screens or resolution on pc monitors, etc, but I care a lot about it. I wouldn't get a better PQ tv and have to get a 40 inch or something but at 55" which is a decent size for my space I then want the best PQ before moving up in size. I also could get a 75" in something else or at least 65" for the same price but at this point I like the OLED too much to go back and will probably end up spending the extra for the 65" if I need bigger. If I had a dedicated theater room size would be even more important but if you really want to say that then why not get a projector? 75" for a theater room I would argue is too small and it would be best to get the best projector you can for 120"+

I guess I just don't see what you guys are seeing and the PQ isn't close enough for what I like on the SONY to the LG to justify getting it with a bigger size. But hey, that's just me. If you say an LG oled is 9/10 PQ then I would say the SONY was more like 6 maybe 7/10. My wife who definitely doesn't care about PQ as much as me didn't really like the TCL p series which I first brought home to save money or then the Sony either and 5 seconds after turning the Oled on immediately said something about the difference. And again, I think the OS on the Sony is embarrassing to be on a 1000+ TV so I would probably recommend adding a streaming device into your budget if you want to buy the TV.
I also know myself and I get tired of technology fast so even if this tv does get bad burn in which I think it won't if I can't get it warrantied then ill probably want to upgrade anyways and at least I got to enjoy it for a couple years.

Glad you like it and are comfortable with the size! ...You will likely find a more receptive audience to your personal preference and more support for the choice in the OLED forum.... Unless you're still considering the awesome experience of a huge friggin screen and want to get the 65" 900e for the same price. Just saying

Last edited by dubvdingo; 03-07-2018 at 11:56 AM.
dubvdingo is offline  
post #13367 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member
 
Mac128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 931
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake View Post
But they are the same and same chipset so I don't see how one would have more burn in then the other...
Also I just don't feel like those tests accurately reflect real world usage. Idk I'm not that worried about it and have a good return window with Costco aomif it's really bad at least there is that.
If you say so, no point in debating your feelings. Regardless, I'm not interested in spending that kind of money on unproven technology, especially when the 900E otherwise meets my needs for much less. I'll give it a few more years, when I'll likely also be able to get much more for the same money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake View Post
Plus the Sony is at the bottom end of their range so what's the difference? You could say the same thing and say you're not willing to spend that much for the bottom of theirs and then go even lower for a different tv?
This is quantifiably untrue. First -- Apples and Oranges: OLED is a totally different technology, and does not have the field testing history that LED does by a long shot, especially at this volume and price point. Second -- I'm classing OLED as a range of products, and LED as a range of products, for which the C7 is at the bottom of the LG OLED Range (and the OLED class overall). Third -- whether you class the 900E as part of the entire lineup including OLED or not, it is still firmly in the middle of the product range, not the bottom. As part of the LED class, it's in the upper middle of the range, with four models below it, and three above. And it's solid technology which is well understood in mass production. In short it is a "deal" considering what it offers and it's placement within the lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake View Post
I do agree about the older lg LEDs I had a buddy who had one and I just have never been a fan of lg tvs except for this so far.
I was talking about a 2017 LG contemporary with the 900E. Horrible picture at the mid-range of LGs LED offerings, so I returned it within the 15 day window. The experience makes me further question the quality of LG's low-end OLED, if their mid-tier LED is so bad.

Last edited by Mac128; 03-07-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Mac128 is offline  
post #13368 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
al210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 904
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
While that's true for Blu-Ray, I'm not sure every streaming service that offers DV also offers HDR-10. Vudu for example states that their HDR is offered via Dolby Vision. I don't have a Vudu app that supports UHD HDR to test, but that statement implies some kind of exclusivity. As for Netflix, and Apple, they most definitely stream in HDR, where DV is otherwise indicated (as well as HDR in 1080o). If Amazon is offering content with DV outside of the HDR content they offer I wouldn't know it. So at least the major streaming services seem to have this covered. So I'm not sure we can yet say conclusively that HDR-10 is offered wherever DV is otherwise indicated.
Maybe someone here that has the 900e and uses Vudu and other apps can chime in but i thought Vudu said they had full HDR10 support late in 2017?

LG 77C9 OLED Theatre Room- LG 65EF9500 OLED Living Room
Panasonic UB820 Blu-Ray Player - Denon X4500H AVR
Chord 2Qute DAC - Rogue RP-1 Pre Amp - Rogue Atlas Magnum II Tube Amp

Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Speakers--B&W HTM62 Center--Axiom QS4 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos Speaker Addons -- SVS PC-2000 SUBWOOFER
al210 is offline  
post #13369 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
groove93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 2,238
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Ooh man oh man does Grand Tour look amazing on this set!
I believe it's episode 8, during the Ford GT Segment, 100% HDR Eye Candy!!
subacabra likes this.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
groove93 is offline  
post #13370 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mac128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 931
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by al210 View Post
Maybe someone here that has the 900e and uses Vudu and other apps can chime in but i thought Vudu said they had full HDR10 support late in 2017?
I do use Vudu, but the built-in app on the 900E does not support HDR. I'm not sure it even supports 4K. The Vudu website, only references DV with respect to HDR, and does not elaborate.
Mac128 is offline  
post #13371 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,527
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1921 Post(s)
Liked: 1363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
I do use Vudu, but the built-in app on the 900E does not support HDR. I'm not sure it even supports 4K. The Vudu website, only references DV with respect to HDR, and does not elaborate.
I haven't tried VUDU and am not sure what it brings to the table. Most 4K/HDR movies are kind of pricey but I'm open to trying anything out in search of more 4K/HDR content.

I researched Vudu UHD and came up with this:
Vudu UHD - Compatible Devices List

10-16-2015, 11:41 AM

An on-going list of devices that are certified for Vudu UHD content playback.

Last update: 3/6/18

**HDR10 playback is now available for select movies and can be viewed on Vudu-certified 4K UHD devices.**

You may purchase or rent Vudu UHD movies via a web browser, mobile apps and the following living room devices.

4K Ultra HD Playback only
  • Roku 4
  • Roku Premiere
  • Roku 4K TVs (without HDR support)
  • Samsung KS-Series 4K TVs
  • VIZIO P-Series & M-Series 4K HDTVs (Non-SmartCast)
4K Ultra HD + HDR Playback
  • Google Chromecast Ultra
  • LG 2016 & 2017 UHD, Super UHD and OLED TVs
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Roku Streaming Stick+, Premiere+, Ultra
  • Samsung Q & MU-Series 4K TVs
  • Samsung Blu-ray Disc Player UBD-M9500
  • Sony 2018 4K TVs *newly added*
  • Roku 4K TVs with HDR support (e.g. TCL P & C-Series)
  • VIZIO 2016 & 2017 Smartcast P & M-Series 4K TVs
  • Xbox One S, One X
More information at: www.vudu.com/UHD
App or Firmware update may be required. Due to variances in manufacturing not all devices within models may not compatible.

***LINK to VUDU 4K/HDR Movies***

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/collection/content/featured/12434#{%22minVisible%22:0}

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 03-07-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #13372 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 12:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by al210 View Post
So far any content that has Dolby Vision will also have HDR10.
True for uhd discs but not necessarily true for streaming services...
ptk70 is offline  
post #13373 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 12:46 PM
Member
 
Sanookdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
I do use Vudu, but the built-in app on the 900E does not support HDR. I'm not sure it even supports 4K. The Vudu website, only references DV with respect to HDR, and does not elaborate.
You are correct, the Sony 900e native Vudu app doesn't support HDR or 4K. I found this out when I was going to watch The Dark Knight which I have purchased as UHD, but the Vudu app plays it as "HDX" only. GooglePlay can play UHD but not HDR.

My Home theater Set-Up:
Sony XBR75X900E (Prior TVs included LG OLED65B6P, Samsung KS8000/8500, KU6300)
LG LAS465 2.1-Channel 300W Sound Bar w/ Wireless Subwoofer
Philips BDP7501 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player with HDR support
Other TV: Sony XBR49X900E (Returned Samsung UN49MU8000FXZA)
Sanookdi is offline  
post #13374 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 02:16 PM
Senior Member
 
nihilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandM View Post
Both my television and ATV have ethernet connections to my router. It seems to me that the ATV apps perform better than the TV's apps; better picture, faster, etc. Does anyone else here see a difference between the two sources?
Thanks.


Funny I as was just thinking of posting about this. I was comparing “The Expanse” between the iTunes version (HD with 5.1 audio), the Amazon app on AppleTV (UHD but only 2.1 audio) and the amazon app on the Sony (UHD and 5.1 audio).

The iTunes version looked far better than the Amazon on Sony version. The internal amazon app kept dropping audio, buffering, and the picture looked like crap. The UHD version on the Apple TV amazon app looked slightly (but barely) better than the iTunes version.

Needless to say, I won’t be using the internal apps unless there’s just no other choice.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
nihilan is offline  
post #13375 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 02:31 PM
Member
 
J_Dova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by undersinjake View Post
You're right and I apologize. But I never meant it that way the only reason I ever even posted about here was because others have had the same question and I was geniunly trying to choose between the Sony and the LG and have both right now. If I didn't keep the LG I would definitely keep the Sony compared to the other choices out there. And no I don't even have cable I use PS Vue and I was comparing Netflix 4k and hdr which is what I watch the most of. I don't have a 4k Blu Ray player or anything yet.
That’s good to hear. Lots of folks don’t use the proper source material or resolution and complain that panels look as good as their 5 year old TVs. I don’t have cable either although I just got YouTube TV and it is very good so far for sports (Celtics fan). I can see why your posts were taken in a negative manner, you just don’t see those gripes too often in this thread. The day after I got my 1st 900E I bought the XBP-800 player and now I have one for each of mine. It upconverts your Blu Rays and is worth the investment despite the growing source of 4K material these days. Dolby Atmos is really cool.

There are plenty of concessions with the 900e, but the positives greatly outweigh the negatives. OLED is likely the future of panel tech and will be perfected eventually. Lots of 900e owners are those of us who don’t want to take the risk of burn in or any other side effect of the tech. The negative reviews and horror stories are there to read. But the debate between the two is kinda like arguing PlayStation vs XBox, it’s just a user preference...

Quote:
The greatest teacher, failure is.... -Yoda TLJ
J_Dova is offline  
post #13376 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 02:47 PM
Senior Member
 
nihilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilan View Post
Funny I as was just thinking of posting about this. I was comparing “The Expanse” between the iTunes version (HD with 5.1 audio), the Amazon app on AppleTV (UHD but only 2.1 audio) and the amazon app on the Sony (UHD and 5.1 audio).

The iTunes version looked far better than the Amazon on Sony version. The internal amazon app kept dropping audio, buffering, and the picture looked like crap. The UHD version on the Apple TV amazon app looked slightly (but barely) better than the iTunes version.

Needless to say, I won’t be using the internal apps unless there’s just no other choice.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


By the way, watching “The Expanse” is fantastic on this TV. On my old 2007 Sony the dark scenes were washed out and star fields looked terrible with lots of blooming/haloing. It was that show that made me want to upgrade. On the 900e it’s looks amazing. Nice detail in the many dark scenes, and the stars look like they’re supposed to. Very happy with the upgrade.

My one complaint is with letterboxed content that is HDR. At least in the film “Mother!”, I noticed blooming in the letterbox bars whenever bright lights were near the edge of the shot. Not sure if it’s that particular film, because I didn’t see it happen in Altered Carbon.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
nihilan is offline  
post #13377 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mac128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 931
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanookdi View Post
You are correct, the Sony 900e native Vudu app doesn't support HDR or 4K. I found this out when I was going to watch The Dark Knight which I have purchased as UHD, but the Vudu app plays it as "HDX" only. GooglePlay can play UHD but not HDR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
I haven't tried VUDU and am not sure what it brings to the table. Most 4K/HDR movies are kind of pricey but I'm open to trying anything out in search of more 4K/HDR content.

I researched Vudu UHD and came up with this:
Vudu UHD - Compatible Devices List

10-16-2015, 11:41 AM

An on-going list of devices that are certified for Vudu UHD content playback.

Last update: 3/6/18

**HDR10 playback is now available for select movies and can be viewed on Vudu-certified 4K UHD devices.**

You may purchase or rent Vudu UHD movies via a web browser, mobile apps and the following living room devices.

4K Ultra HD Playback only
  • Roku 4
  • Roku Premiere
  • Roku 4K TVs (without HDR support)
  • Samsung KS-Series 4K TVs
  • VIZIO P-Series & M-Series 4K HDTVs (Non-SmartCast)
4K Ultra HD + HDR Playback
  • Google Chromecast Ultra
  • LG 2016 & 2017 UHD, Super UHD and OLED TVs
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Roku Streaming Stick+, Premiere+, Ultra
  • Samsung Q & MU-Series 4K TVs
  • Samsung Blu-ray Disc Player UBD-M9500
  • Sony 2018 4K TVs *newly added*
  • Roku 4K TVs with HDR support (e.g. TCL P & C-Series)
  • VIZIO 2016 & 2017 Smartcast P & M-Series 4K TVs
  • Xbox One S, One X
More information at: www.vudu.com/UHD
App or Firmware update may be required. Due to variances in manufacturing not all devices within models may not compatible.

***LINK to VUDU 4K/HDR Movies***

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/collection/content/featured/12434#{%22minVisible%22:0}
Thanks for finding that. I still can't find it anywhere on the Vudu website, even when I click on the link. It looks like HDR-10 support is an extremely recent addition, like yesterday.

It's interesting the App on Sony's 2018 TVs support 4K HDR, but not the App available for the older models. I wonder if they've done something like Amazon has done, and it's part of the OS, rather than a stand alone app? It's extremely frustrating if so. Hopefully we'll get it as an update.

So, all good news, but again, makes my point that the DV/HDR-10 issue is far from settled. Moreover, not every streaming app supports all features uniformly across all devices, or on the 900E. Though I would assume it will all eventually support all forms of HDR as the industry realizes it's the best way to capitalize on 4K purchases, especially since they're already doing it for blu-rays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilan View Post
By the way, watching “The Expanse” is fantastic on this TV. On my old 2007 Sony the dark scenes were washed out and star fields looked terrible with lots of blooming/haloing. It was that show that made me want to upgrade. On the 900e it’s looks amazing. Nice detail in the many dark scenes, and the stars look like they’re supposed to. Very happy with the upgrade.

My one complaint is with letterboxed content that is HDR. At least in the film “Mother!”, I noticed blooming in the letterbox bars whenever bright lights were near the edge of the shot. Not sure if it’s that particular film, because I didn’t see it happen in Altered Carbon.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's common on this TV. Bright light sources will bleed into the black bars. If you stop looking for it, you'll eventually barely notice it. It's a far better trade-off than the edge-lit displays which wash out the entire panel.
Mac128 is offline  
post #13378 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 04:15 PM
Member
 
sixtytooneratio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If anyone is undecided about purchasing the 900e.....get it! Just watched Planet Earth and the hunt on netflix and thought the Cheetah was going to slide into my living room.I stood four feet in front of a 75" screen and the picture was still detailed. At this price point you won't be able to do much better.
sixtytooneratio is offline  
post #13379 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,527
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1921 Post(s)
Liked: 1363
RE: Mac128 "So, all good news, but again, makes my point that the DV/HDR-10 issue is far from settled. Moreover, not every streaming app supports all features uniformly across all devices, or on the 900E. Though I would assume it will all eventually support all forms of HDR as the industry realizes it's the best way to capitalize on 4K purchases, especially since they're already doing it for blu-rays."

***Good point. And yes, DV/HDR10 not settled yet BUT - I really think HDR10 is the base level that will be adopted by virtually all the providers. Dolby Vision might have more potential with 10,000 nits but geez, louise, my Sony 900E is bright enough already. And let me know when they have a projector that can get to 10,000 nits that is under $100K or doesn't blow up on bright scenes.

I found it interesting that VUDU is supported by the 2018 Sony's. That's o.k. - - I'm still glad I bought the Sony 900E when I did. Netflix still provides the best 4K/HDR experience for me outside of the occasional YouTube 4K/HDR clip.

I really wish HLG would progress with broadcasters in the U.S. Like we've all said before, the TV technology is so far advanced in terms of TV capability compared to the source content we get today. Live sports broadcasts can really run the gamut from a great picture to a fuzzy mess. Streaming seems to be the best method to get 4K/HDR to folks homes. I know Directv has some 4K channels and Comcast has a new STB but alas, all canned 4K/HDR content. Unless you consider streaming Netflix from your Comcast 4K/STB to be 4K capability.

All good, though. The Sony 900E's upscaling ability makes the best of a bad situation.

More info on HDR10 & DV below, including an interesting article from "The Verge."

Link to article: https://www.theverge.com/2017/1/5/14...anced-ces-2017
HDR10

HDR10 is the more open standard for HDR developed by device manufacturers (including Samsung and Sony) to avoid having to submit to Dolby’s own standard and fees. It's the default standard for 4K Ultra-HD Blu-ray disks, and has been embraced by both Sony and Microsoft for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One S.
The downside is that while HDR10 is more open, it holds to a lower standard of video quality than Dolby Vision, mastering content at 1,000 nits of brightness compared to Dolby Vision's theoretical 10,000-nit limit. The former also supports 10-bit color to Dolby Vision's 12-bit, which translates to a smaller color range.
Dolby Vision

Developed by Dolby, Dolby Vision is the other primary competing standard for HDR content. Unlike HDR10, Dolby’s format requires TV sets and media devices that have been specifically designed with a Dolby Vision hardware chip — from which the company receives licensing fees.


It's also the more future-proof of the two formats, with content being mastered for a higher level of brightness and color gamut than what today's top sets can provide. Of the four formats Dolby Vision has the highest barrier to entry since it requires specific hardware to support. But it also offers the best HDR experience of any of the four standards since it can calibrate the picture for the specific TV hardware, in addition to the high mastering requirements.
HLG

HLG, or Hybrid-Log Gamma, is a one of the newer standards on the market, but it's an entirely different beast from Dolby Vision and HDR. HLG was developed by the BBC and NHK broadcasting networks to serve as an HDR format for live video. Unlike other HDR methods, which pre-encode the content with metadata to properly display the HDR effect, the HLG system is designed to work similar to regular broadcast television. It simply includes additional information regarding the HDR effect that compatible sets can implement. The broadcast is also backwards compatible with older standard dynamic range images should the set not offer HLG compatibility.


While HLG is still years away from any mainstream rollout, there’s nothing about the spec that would prevent any HDR set from offering a firmware update to support it later on.
Mac128 likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is offline  
post #13380 of 19525 Old 03-07-2018, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
eddysnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 81
For those hockey fans, what settings do you watch on? My Comcast NBCSN feed for the pens game looks terrible.
eddysnake is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off