2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 460 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40382Likes

post #13771 of 19200 Old 03-18-2018, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leila80 View Post
Using this set (55") mainly for gaming and I noticed what seems to be smearing/trailing/ghosting, whatever is called...

This video I found on YouTube shows what I mean:
youtube.com/watch?v=27fCKZGAgFA

When for example I move the camera right to left, from assassin's creed origins, on bright areas, like desert, if there is a high contrast object, shadow etc, like a pilar, there is a red line that follows said image....

Can it be that my set is somehow broken? I'm still on return window, so any help, would be really appreciated..

Thanks
I made a video, using my phone:

https://streamable.com/5njjj

Focus on the big rocks, as i move the camera...

Can someone enlight me please? is this normal? or i better seek for a replacement/return?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13772 of 19200 Old 03-18-2018, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
You've kind of piecemealed this issue to us, so it's a bit confusing to follow all the details. As I said, in over 13K posts, I don't recall reading about this issue. Here's the issue as I now understand it: you don't have a problem per se, but you are concerned there won't be one. Unfortunately since you're out of your return window, you're at the mercy of the retailer as to what you can do about it. At this point, unless your retailer agrees there's something worthy of returning which is likely to develop into a defect, you should just forget about it, until it actually becomes a problem. No one is likely going to preempt a potential problem, especially if there's no gurantee it will become one. Sadly some products, like these, should be unpacked and examined the day they're purchased for this exact reason. Good luck.
Not sure why you're saying I've piece-mealed the situation... The only detail that I missed in the original post is that the oily film strips are visible when the TV is off. Otherwise, everything I'm seeing is in the first post.

My inquiry is to try and understand two things: 1) Is this a [somewhat] common thing and 2) has anyone encountered this and seen their set degrade (or possibly can state that this is an actual defect)?

I have not -noticed- this in at least four other very similar sets, but I also haven't had the chance to actually do an in-person examination of any of those other sets yet to understand if the problem is wider-spread or not. I know that I should have taken this out of the box and tested it. Still, I don't believe that would have done anything for me since it took a specific set of conditions for me to even notice it on this one, and that was after it had been set up for over a week. Noticing it was somewhat of a fluke. So, even if I had opened it the day it came, I don't know that I would have seen it.

While I can understand the sentiment you're expressing with the notion of not worrying until it becomes a problem, that isn't acceptable to me. If there's a manufacturing issue with this panel, I need to address NOW - not two months after the warranty expires. Sony is going to go by the purchase date, and is definitely not going to accept the notion of it sitting in the box before being put into use. And that's significant.

If the TV has an issue, and it's going to degrade over time until it makes the set unwatchable, I want it dealt with now. In doing so, and getting a panel that's manufactured correctly, I -SHOULD- be able to get YEARS of use without issue. I don't want to be replacing a set this expensive a year or two in because I neglected to deal with it right away.

I've reached out to the retailer and am awaiting their feedback to see whether it's something they could still help with by doing a swap or if I'm going to be at the mercy of Sony.
post #13773 of 19200 Old 03-18-2018, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
Not sure why you're saying I've piece-mealed the situation... The only detail that I missed in the original post is that the oily film strips are visible when the TV is off. Otherwise, everything I'm seeing is in the first post.

My inquiry is to try and understand two things: 1) Is this a [somewhat] common thing and 2) has anyone encountered this and seen their set degrade (or possibly can state that this is an actual defect)?

I have not -noticed- this in at least four other very similar sets, but I also haven't had the chance to actually do an in-person examination of any of those other sets yet to understand if the problem is wider-spread or not. I know that I should have taken this out of the box and tested it. Still, I don't believe that would have done anything for me since it took a specific set of conditions for me to even notice it on this one, and that was after it had been set up for over a week. Noticing it was somewhat of a fluke. So, even if I had opened it the day it came, I don't know that I would have seen it.

While I can understand the sentiment you're expressing with the notion of not worrying until it becomes a problem, that isn't acceptable to me. If there's a manufacturing issue with this panel, I need to address NOW - not two months after the warranty expires. Sony is going to go by the purchase date, and is definitely not going to accept the notion of it sitting in the box before being put into use. And that's significant.

If the TV has an issue, and it's going to degrade over time until it makes the set unwatchable, I want it dealt with now. In doing so, and getting a panel that's manufactured correctly, I -SHOULD- be able to get YEARS of use without issue. I don't want to be replacing a set this expensive a year or two in because I neglected to deal with it right away.

I've reached out to the retailer and am awaiting their feedback to see whether it's something they could still help with by doing a swap or if I'm going to be at the mercy of Sony.
It's worse than you think. How many weeks did it sit in the box before you unpacked it? Unless you have a strong relationship with the retailer, they might be concerned that the panel was damaged during shipping, or even storage by you during the period it went unused.

Again, I've read all 13K + posts and have never seen this issue mentioned. It's either a brand new problem which Sony knows about, or not at all widespread, and therefore subject to your unique situation and what external forces may have played into the defect you're seeing.

So as I said before, good luck. If you're able to obtain an extended warranty on the set, you likely should do it if the retailer won't let you exchange it, or Sony won't replace it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13774 of 19200 Old 03-18-2018, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzakusReturns View Post
The gamma or perhaps the black levels seems to dynamically increase themselves in certain scenes aswell. Some, but not all, dark scenes blow out their levels for no apparent reason. This perhaps doesn’t show in grey scale calibration as it seems to be related to the scene composition.
So true, I put up several different test patterns and noticed some clipping or crushing on different parts of the screen depending on the pattern. It also varied with different local dimming settings so it seems to be related to that.

LG 77C9 OLED Theatre Room- LG 65EF9500 OLED Living Room
Panasonic UB820 Blu-Ray Player - Denon X4500H AVR
Chord 2Qute DAC - Rogue RP-1 Pre Amp - Rogue Atlas Magnum II Tube Amp

Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Speakers--B&W HTM62 Center--Axiom QS4 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos Speaker Addons -- SVS PC-2000 SUBWOOFER
post #13775 of 19200 Old 03-18-2018, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
So I finally got a Windows PC into the house and was able to format my 320GB HD into NTFS. I put a 4K HDR file as well as a downloaded Youtube file on the drive. The 900e was able to read it and play the files without issues using the build in video player (No VLC)

It will still not read my 2 TB drive formatted on my Mac where all of my other files reside. This is fine, knowing I purchased and took back the Nvidia Shield TV saving 200 bucks and my TV can do the same as long as the drive is formatted correctly.

Just a heads up for those who have been asking HD questions and so on.
post #13776 of 19200 Old 03-18-2018, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLion View Post
So I finally got a Windows PC into the house and was able to format my 320GB HD into NTFS. I put a 4K HDR file as well as a downloaded Youtube file on the drive. The 900e was able to read it and play the files without issues using the build in video player (No VLC)

It will still not read my 2 TB drive formatted on my Mac where all of my other files reside. This is fine, knowing I purchased and took back the Nvidia Shield TV saving 200 bucks and my TV can do the same as long as the drive is formatted correctly.

Just a heads up for those who have been asking HD questions and so on.
Windows? Are you of the false belief that you have to format your disk ONLY with Windows for it to work?

Any machine capable of creating an exFAT filesystem on a disk can be used to format a drive correctly to use on the Bravia TV's. I used an iMac to format a 128G flash drive and then stored a number of HD BluRay rips on it and played them back just fine on the 900E. At one point, there may have been some legitimacy to having to use a Windows machine to format the disk because of what OS'es supported what file systems. That has most definitely relaxed and the incorrect "requirement" to use a Windows machine still does not have to be followed.

Formatted with NTFS or exFAT, drives can be up to 16TB in size as can individual files.

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51840
post #13777 of 19200 Old 03-18-2018, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What's the best motion settings that everyone has found for streaming 1080p content? Standard network shows like Walking Dead, American Idol, etc. I've been trying several, including different levels for CineMotion, but everything looks fake to me. But, if I turn all motion settings off, I get jutter in fast moving scenes.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
post #13778 of 19200 Old 03-18-2018, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 898
I updated my signature

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #13779 of 19200 Old 03-18-2018, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledvedder View Post
What's the best motion settings that everyone has found for streaming 1080p content? Standard network shows like Walking Dead, American Idol, etc. I've been trying several, including different levels for CineMotion, but everything looks fake to me. But, if I turn all motion settings off, I get jutter in fast moving scenes.

I don't get any motion issues watching cable, but I have directv. Only on lower resolution content.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
post #13780 of 19200 Old 03-18-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
I don't get any motion issues watching cable, but I have directv. Only on lower resolution content.
Do you have everything turned off?

post #13781 of 19200 Old 03-18-2018, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you have everything turned off?

Yeah, all motion enhancements are off for cable tv. One thing that helped was to set my cable bot to native resolution rather than trying to force it to "upscale" everything on the box. It takes a second or 2 longer to produce an image on channel changes, but the picture looks better.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #13782 of 19200 Old 03-18-2018, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Using this set (55") mainly for gaming and I noticed what seems to be smearing/trailing/ghosting, whatever is called...

When for example I move the camera right to left, from assassin's creed origins, on bright areas, like desert, if there is a high contrast object, shadow etc, like a pilar, there is a red line that follows said image....

Can it be that my set is somehow broken? I'm still on return window, so any help, would be really appreciated..

Thanks

Can someone enlight me please? is this normal? or i better seek for a replacement/return?[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG]
What are your picture settings

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #13783 of 19200 Old 03-18-2018, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davird_Jr View Post
Have you tried deleting the TV as a device and re-adding it? Is your TV using Wi-Fi or do you have Ethernet connection?
Super late on getting back to this, I've been traveling for work...

Yes, I deleted the TV as a device and re-added it via "add WiFi Devices" in the Harmony App.... Nothing works. I now have to use the Sony remote to turn the TV on and off. It's ridiculous.
post #13784 of 19200 Old 03-18-2018, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anyone confirm there's no software updates available since Dec 13th 2017? I've read about he January update causing sound issues but, my TV tells me there is no update available, and my version is dated Dec 13th 2017... Did Sony take the Jan update down?
post #13785 of 19200 Old 03-19-2018, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks

Can someone enlight me please? is this normal? or i better seek for a replacement/return?[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG]
What are your picture settings
They are all on default, on game mode.

Only changes I did was set local dimming to high, x-tended to medium and turn off smooth gradation.
post #13786 of 19200 Old 03-19-2018, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I’m sure this has been covered but I tried forum searching and having trouble finding the information I seek. Does anyone know how long the 75” model power cord is? Just ordered it and want to make sure I don’t need to buy a longer one. If the cord is around 6 feet I should be good.
post #13787 of 19200 Old 03-19-2018, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G_33 View Post
Has anyone figured out how to make it so the USB ports stay powered down while the TV is off?

I really want to use a USB port to power bias lighting, but the ports keep powering on intermittently while the TV is off. It drives me nuts.
This! This is making me crazy.

post #13788 of 19200 Old 03-19-2018, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiD View Post
I appreciate your response, but in general sound bars are pretty generic. Just wondering if the ARC connection on the 900E provides controls.
The 900E does very well with controlling things through ARC. I don't have that soundbar specifically but I've already used two different receivers with my 900E and it instantly worked with them.

I don't use your setup nor do I know anyone who has it, but I'm willing to be they have their bases covered on controlling most of the gear put out by major brands.

My friend controls his Insignia soundbar with his 49" 900E so it's safe to say it should work with a Samsung one.
DesiD likes this.

TV: Sony XBR65X900E
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V479
Speakers: Fronts: Sony SS-F6000, Center: Sony SS-CN5000 , Rears: Sony SS-B1000, Sub: Sony SA-W3000
-pete-
post #13789 of 19200 Old 03-19-2018, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change View Post
Anyone confirm there's no software updates available since Dec 13th 2017? I've read about he January update causing sound issues but, my TV tells me there is no update available, and my version is dated Dec 13th 2017... Did Sony take the Jan update down?
It's quite possible. I checked it when I heard about the issues and I still have the Dec 13th update as the newest one. And I have my TV set to update automatically. Maybe they stopped the rollout after problems sprang up?

TV: Sony XBR65X900E
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V479
Speakers: Fronts: Sony SS-F6000, Center: Sony SS-CN5000 , Rears: Sony SS-B1000, Sub: Sony SA-W3000
-pete-
post #13790 of 19200 Old 03-19-2018, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
I’m sure this has been covered but I tried forum searching and having trouble finding the information I seek. Does anyone know how long the 75” model power cord is? Just ordered it and want to make sure I don’t need to buy a longer one. If the cord is around 6 feet I should be good.
It's 5 feet.
post #13791 of 19200 Old 03-19-2018, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavytoo View Post
Is there a way to use that with a Harmony remote perchance ?
I don't believe the Harmony software allows any sort of direct hex code input. One of many reasons why I went with the URC custom installer remote.

This solution looks like a possible way to do it. I haven't tried so if you want explore this option then you are on your own...
If you have an Android device with an IR blaster, you can embed the Pronto hex code into a small HTML file and then import it to a button in irplus by using the "edit" function. Then use the IR led on the device to teach the Harmony remote. Not an easy solution but it could get you those direct TV inputs.

The irplus app for Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...android.irplus
Teach the Logitech IR code to the remote: https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...rmony-database
wavytoo likes this.
post #13792 of 19200 Old 03-19-2018, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpete987 View Post
The 900E does very well with controlling things through ARC. I don't have that soundbar specifically but I've already used two different receivers with my 900E and it instantly worked with them.

I don't use your setup nor do I know anyone who has it, but I'm willing to be they have their bases covered on controlling most of the gear put out by major brands.

My friend controls his Insignia soundbar with his 49" 900E so it's safe to say it should work with a Samsung one.
Thank you my friend. I was hoping someone would have shared their experience w/other sound bars.
post #13793 of 19200 Old 03-19-2018, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavytoo View Post
Is there a way to use that with a Harmony remote perchance ?
My Harmony setup already has all of those codes for changing inputs directly.
I believe that you can also contact Logitech support with this information and they will add it to your profile of commands.
I did that long time ago though.
Todd Scott and wavytoo like this.

Sony x900e, Sony STR-DN1080, Sony Core Series speakers (5.1.2), NVidia Shield TV, Synology 4 bay NAS (12TB total)
post #13794 of 19200 Old 03-19-2018, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Scott;55881128

This solution looks like a possible way to do it. I haven't tried so if you want explore this option then you are on your own...
If you have an Android device with an IR blaster, you can embed the Pronto hex code into a small HTML file and then import it to a button in irplus by using the "edit" function. Then use the IR led on the device to teach the Harmony remote. Not an easy solution but it could get you those direct TV inputs.

The irplus app for Android: [URL
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.binarymode.android.irplus[/URL]
Teach the Logitech IR code to the remote: https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...rmony-database
Thanks Todd
While I do not have an android device with ir I do have one connected to a serial port on my computer, I will keep you updated if I get around to trying it out.
Todd Scott likes this.

Sony XBR-55X900E
Roku 3
Windows 10 PC /KODI/Media Player/VLC/CyberlinkPowerDVD
Philips DVP640 >> Sony UBP X-800 Harmony One
Yamaha RX-V592
post #13795 of 19200 Old 03-19-2018, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
N.B. - I have not yet even attempted to read through this thread, so I will apologize in advance if this has already been discussed.

I have noticed something odd with the display on a 65" set today... When looking at the panel from off-angle, there are vertical stripes / bands of what I can only think to describe as oily looking material inside the panel. The bands are approximately 5" wide and generally run the entire height of the panel. I tried a clean microfiber towel both with spray cleaner and dry, and neither will either clean any of it or even "smear it around". So, this leads me to believe that the issue is inside the panel.

I have not noticed any sort of issues with viewing images on the set, but I have two other 900E sets and a 940D that I have not [yet] noticed this specific condition on. Should I be chasing down a replacement? And, is there any possibility that the fact that it was stored, in its original box unopened, in my 55 degree basement for 60 days to blame for this? I have read that LCD panels are NOT susceptible to damage from freezing temperatures, so I would not believe that it would be related. I also won't have a chance to compare to the other sets I mentioned for about a week.

If anyone has any input or ideas, I'd be interested in reading through it.

Thanks.

I have this EXACT same "issue". I assumed it was normal but perhaps not. With TV off and viewed from the side, it looks like someone spilled oil all over the screen and then added water. Think rainbowy parking lots after a rain storm. The image quality is unaffected so Im not too concerned but it is odd. I actually thought it was a thin plastic protector on the screen but I certainly cant find one to peel off. TV is about 3 weeks old and bought from BB. Otherwise, the panel seems great. Zero edge bleeding and only the slightest of darkening in the corners only visible on solid color scenes.

I will try to grab a picture too.
post #13796 of 19200 Old 03-19-2018, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
They are all on default, on game mode.

Only changes I did was set local dimming to high, x-tended to medium and turn off smooth gradation.
Try changing the motion settings a bit. Not sure if you can do this in game mode though. Looks like you were playing Assasins Creed, don't think you would need super low input lag for that game. Try putting motion to Custom, Smoothness to 2, Clearness to Min, Cinemotion to Med. That should clear that up...

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #13797 of 19200 Old 03-19-2018, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This! This is making me crazy.

But a cheap powered USB hub from Amazon. They have on/off switches. That's what I had to do. Works perfectly.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #13798 of 19200 Old 03-19-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Yes - HD / SD is both 99 cents before tax. Great upscaling by the Sony 900E!
I was looking for 99 cent movies but none are displayed at
https://play.google.com/store/movies

is there a way to search for 99 cent movies? Will there always be some available?

Sony XBR-55X900E
Roku 3
Yamaha RX-V592
post #13799 of 19200 Old 03-19-2018, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakAHearts View Post
I have this EXACT same "issue". I assumed it was normal but perhaps not. With TV off and viewed from the side, it looks like someone spilled oil all over the screen and then added water. Think rainbowy parking lots after a rain storm. The image quality is unaffected so Im not too concerned but it is odd. I actually thought it was a thin plastic protector on the screen but I certainly cant find one to peel off. TV is about 3 weeks old and bought from BB. Otherwise, the panel seems great. Zero edge bleeding and only the slightest of darkening in the corners only visible on solid color scenes.

I will try to grab a picture too.
I would say not normal. I have a 75 inch and when the screen is off and I look at it from the side it's jet black. I'd get it replaced. Contact Sony, who knows, they might replace it with the 900f at this point if they find it's defective...

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #13800 of 19200 Old 03-19-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n View Post
My Harmony setup already has all of those codes for changing inputs directly.
I believe that you can also contact Logitech support with this information and they will add it to your profile of commands.
I did that long time ago though.
Ok gotta go check that out.

Sony XBR-55X900E
Roku 3
Yamaha RX-V592
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e