Originally Posted by Mac128
You've kind of piecemealed this issue to us, so it's a bit confusing to follow all the details. As I said, in over 13K posts, I don't recall reading about this issue. Here's the issue as I now understand it: you don't have a problem per se, but you are concerned there won't be one. Unfortunately since you're out of your return window, you're at the mercy of the retailer as to what you can do about it. At this point, unless your retailer agrees there's something worthy of returning which is likely to develop into a defect, you should just forget about it, until it actually becomes a problem. No one is likely going to preempt a potential problem, especially if there's no gurantee it will become one. Sadly some products, like these, should be unpacked and examined the day they're purchased for this exact reason. Good luck.
Not sure why you're saying I've piece-mealed the situation... The only detail that I missed in the original post is that the oily film strips are visible when the TV is off. Otherwise, everything I'm seeing is in the first post.
My inquiry is to try and understand two things: 1) Is this a [somewhat] common thing and 2) has anyone encountered this and seen their set degrade (or possibly can state that this is an actual defect)?
I have not -noticed- this in at least four other very similar sets, but I also haven't had the chance to actually do an in-person examination of any of those other sets yet to understand if the problem is wider-spread or not. I know that I should have taken this out of the box and tested it. Still, I don't believe that would have done anything for me since it took a specific set of conditions for me to even notice it on this one, and that was after it had been set up for over a week. Noticing it was somewhat of a fluke. So, even if I had opened it the day it came, I don't know that I would have seen it.
While I can understand the sentiment you're expressing with the notion of not worrying until it becomes a problem, that isn't acceptable to me. If there's a manufacturing issue with this panel, I need to address NOW - not two months after the warranty expires. Sony is going to go by the purchase date, and is definitely not going to accept the notion of it sitting in the box before being put into use. And that's significant.
If the TV has an issue, and it's going to degrade over time until it makes the set unwatchable, I want it dealt with now. In doing so, and getting a panel that's manufactured correctly, I -SHOULD- be able to get YEARS of use without issue. I don't want to be replacing a set this expensive a year or two in because I neglected to deal with it right away.
I've reached out to the retailer and am awaiting their feedback to see whether it's something they could still help with by doing a swap or if I'm going to be at the mercy of Sony.