2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 462 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40396Likes

post #13831 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledvedder View Post
Wow this TV is dark. I keep playing with all the picture adjustments. Maybe I'm just so used to my Samsung that it's difficult to get used to how dark this Sony's picture is.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
As others have stated, it sounds like you have something like auto brightness or the BFI (clearness under the motion setting) on because this TV is anything but dark. That or your set is broken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13832 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
i'm not at home, but if you aren't using the built in tuner at all, you can disable the TV input on the External inputs screen. i've only enabled the three inputs i'm using (removing TV, screen sharing, etc.). i have my MX-500 remote set to return to HDMI 4 (our Tivo) when everything is powered off. when powering up, the Tivo comes up immediately.

you can also program what the TV button on the remote does (under Settings on the Home page)

(i've done this so that if we don't want to fire up the whole home theater, we can watch shows on the Tivo using the TV's speakers. i have a separate macro for TV w/HT on the remote)
I do have the TV button send it to hdmi-3. Unfortunately I am using the built in tuner for OTA, so disabling the input isn't an option. I'm thinking I might find a blank channel and leave the TV on it, since we only use broadcast to watch football.
post #13833 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoZags13 View Post
I do have the TV button send it to hdmi-3. Unfortunately I am using the built in tuner for OTA, so disabling the input isn't an option. I'm thinking I might find a blank channel and leave the TV on it, since we only use broadcast to watch football.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_In_Louisville View Post
This may be in the wrong forum but I thought it may be better here since people here may have more experience with what works best with this TV.

After the expense of the TV my wife has limited me on my player outlay. I was looking at the Samsung UBD-M7500/ZA or the LG UP870 because they are around $100 on Amazon.

You guys convinced me what a great TV this was so I don’t know want to over spend on a UHD player if the TV can do what is needed better.
Search the web for a deal on a Sony UBP-X800, very solid player and regular BR's look great on it . I got one half price during BF week.
I WANT MORE and Scarriere like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13834 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
so, with the TV button set to HDMI3, it still flashes and goes to the OTA tuner momentarily before going to HDMI3? is this on start-up or even if the TV is on, and you were already using another source (HDMI2, for eg)?
post #13835 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked: 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoshinta View Post
Thanks so much for the fast response! . I’ve an Onkyo HTIB from 2010, wich since then, I use with my windows pc to obtain DTS-HD and DOLBY True-HD.
This time I need to output to my non 4K Onkyo receiver Dts-HD and True-HD, from the tv itself/without the pc. It is possible trough ARC?

Thanks so much again
Answer: I do not know of any cable, satellite or broadcast signals that are Dolby True-HD or DTS-HD. Those large and uncompressed (lossless) codecs are only available via a Bluray disc & player and usually handled by your AVR. It sounds like with the LG that you can get advanced codecs with an application but only for the native speakers. My guess is that any other format that you send via ARC will be like everything else - - DD+ (Dolby Digital Plus) - which is capable of Dolby Atmos but there is not much content available outside of more expensive streaming sites (PPV - Pay Per View) and Netflix. Again - if you're using ARC to your AVR, I'm not sure how this works. I know with a One Box X/S - the application is loaded on the Xbox and then the HDMI out to your AVR is Dolby Atmos (not via ARC).

And separate question for all...if you can buy the B7P for $200 bucks cheaper than the X900E, you’ll do it?

Answer: Boy, that's a personal preference question. Assuming they are the same size set - - it's up to you what you like the most. Either way - make sure you get a solid return policy. Then, if there are problems, you can switch from one to the other. Hope this helps.
Neoshinta likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #13836 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Answer: I do not know of any cable, satellite or broadcast signals that are Dolby True-HD or DTS-HD. Those large and uncompressed (lossless) codecs are only available via a Bluray disc & player and usually handled by your AVR. It sounds like with the LG that you can get advanced codecs with an application but only for the native speakers. My guess is that any other format that you send via ARC will be like everything else - - DD+ (Dolby Digital Plus) - which is capable of Dolby Atmos but there is not much content available outside of more expensive streaming sites (PPV - Pay Per View) and Netflix. Again - if you're using ARC to your AVR, I'm not sure how this works. I know with a One Box X/S - the application is loaded on the Xbox and then the HDMI out to your AVR is Dolby Atmos (not via ARC).

And separate question for all...if you can buy the B7P for $200 bucks cheaper than the X900E, you’ll do it?

Answer: Boy, that's a personal preference question. Assuming they are the same size set - - it's up to you what you like the most. Either way - make sure you get a solid return policy. Then, if there are problems, you can switch from one to the other. Hope this helps.

Very much. Thanks! Btw, with atmos and dts-hd... I mean br remux movies loaded from the usb hard drive to the tv, and if the ARC can handle those sound formats
post #13837 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes...but I'd make sure the store has a good return/exchange policy since panel lottery (to try and get one with minimal vertical banding or tinting issues) seems to be a bigger issue with oled sets than it does lcd.
Neoshinta likes this.
post #13838 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
Yes...but I'd make sure the store has a good return/exchange policy since panel lottery (to try and get one with minimal vertical banding or tinting issues) seems to be a bigger issue with oled sets than it does lcd.

And with the SONY too, right? I’ve read here of others with oil-like lines on x900 turned off in an angle, or the bleeding and blooming of a bad panel
post #13839 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And with the SONY too, right? I’ve read here of others with oil-like lines on x900 turned off in an angle, or the bleeding and blooming of a bad panel
There will be some form of panel lottery with every single model so yes, you should want to have a good return/exchange policy if you decide to go for the 900E. Thankfully this 75" 900E I am borrowing right now has none of those issues that have been mentioned. I am pretty impressed with its uniformity.
Neoshinta likes this.
post #13840 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6772 Post(s)
Liked: 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledvedder View Post
Wow this TV is dark. I keep playing with all the picture adjustments. Maybe I'm just so used to my Samsung that it's difficult to get used to how dark this Sony's picture is.
Was your Samsung FALD or edge lit? Steeping into FALD is a HUGE step in the right direction
Scarriere likes this.
post #13841 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 64
SDR and HDR settings are linked together on HDMI inputs

Someone posted here that the X900 has different settings for SDR and HDR. This may be true for built-in streaming apps (I didn't check) but is definitely not true for HDMI inputs. Correct me if I'm wrong but on my set it's clear that the settings (except for brightness) are tied together under the same preset.

For example: If I am watching a 4K HDR bluray on HDMI3 and I choose CinemaPro for my settings, and I make changes to the picture settings, those changes (excluding brightness) also apply when viewing regular blu-ray SDR under the CinemaPro preset. If you use the same preset for SDR and HDR and make changes for one type of content it affects both, they are linked.

So what I have had to do is use CinemaPro for HDR blu-ray and CinemaHome for SDR. My SDR and HDR settings are quite different in terms of black level adjustments.

Ideally the TV should not link SDR and HDR settings together under the same preset as they are two very different things. I'm quite disappointed by this discovery.
post #13842 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
There will be some form of panel lottery with every single model so yes, you should want to have a good return/exchange policy if you decide to go for the 900E. Thankfully this 75" 900E I am borrowing right now has none of those issues that have been mentioned. I am pretty impressed with its uniformity.

That’s good to hear . I will decide this days until friday.
Thanks so much for your help!
rlindo likes this.
post #13843 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
New issue- Has anyone figured out how to "kill" the native Sling app? Here's my issue:

I'm a Sling subscriber (single viewer mode). If I use the tv's native Android app to watch sling, it works great. But if I want to watch Sling via the xbox one or Roku on the same tv, even though I have hit stop on playing the native app and back out to the home screen prior to launching the xbox or Roku app, those apps tell me that Sling is already running. I've tried launching other native apps on the tv's home screen, I've tried restarting the tv. Nothing works---the Xbox and Roku always tell me that Sling is already being used.

The only thing I've found that works is to uninstall the native Sling app and just not use it. Which is fine, except when it isn't

Anyone else experiencing this?
post #13844 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Scott View Post
Someone posted here that the X900 has different settings for SDR and HDR. This may be true for built-in streaming apps (I didn't check) but is definitely not true for HDMI inputs. Correct me if I'm wrong but on my set it's clear that the settings (except for brightness) are tied together under the same preset.

For example: If I am watching a 4K HDR bluray on HDMI3 and I choose CinemaPro for my settings, and I make changes to the picture settings, those changes (excluding brightness) also apply when viewing regular blu-ray SDR under the CinemaPro preset. If you use the same preset for SDR and HDR and make changes for one type of content it affects both, they are linked.

So what I have had to do is use CinemaPro for HDR blu-ray and CinemaHome for SDR. My SDR and HDR settings are quite different in terms of black level adjustments.

Ideally the TV should not link SDR and HDR settings together under the same preset as they are two very different things. I'm quite disappointed by this discovery.
Each of the TV's inputs, plus internal apps, as well as the OTA tuner have unique settings. For each input, some settings are further unique for SDR versus HDR content. For instance, Brightness, Gamma, X-Tended Dynamic Range, and perhaps others can be uniquely set at different values for SDR and HDR content on each input. Most other settings (Black Level, Auto Local Dimming, etc.) are shared for SDR/HDR content on each input.
wavytoo likes this.
post #13845 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, most are linked. Gamma also isn't. X-tended range as well but I gather that one not being linked would be obvious.

How come your black level adjustment is different between the two? Is this change the result of using a test pattern or just personal preference? I have an alright knowledge when it comes to calibrating with sdr material (and by calibrating I mean real calibrating using calibration software and hardware) but don't know much when it comes to calibrating hdr so if it does change in hdr then I am not aware of that. Wish I had the same type of calibration patterns in hdr that I do for sdr.

Also, what is your black level set at in each mode?

Last edited by rlindo; 03-20-2018 at 12:05 PM.
post #13846 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Yeah, most are linked. Gamma also isn't. X-tended range as well but I gather that one not being linked would be obvious.

How come your black level adjustment is different between the two? Is this change the result of using a test pattern or just personal preference? I have an alright knowledge when it comes to calibrating with sdr material (and by calibrating I mean real calibrating using calibration software and hardware) but don't know much when it comes to calibrating hdr so if it does change in hdr then I am not aware of that. Wish I had the same type of calibration patterns in hdr that I do for sdr.

Also, what is your black level set at in each mode?
I bought a digital download of these 4K HDR test patterns: https://diversifiedvideosolutions.com/dvs_products.html

The black level clipping pattern has flashing bars. You turn up the brightness until you start to see bar 28 (which is slightly above reference black) start to flash. This has me turning up the "black level" because HDR has brightness already maxed out and I have contrast set to 90. Black level is then high enough that it causes SDR on the same input to have a grey washed out look and SDR brightness is already down around 30. I don't recall the exact black level without looking at my set tonight.
rlindo likes this.
post #13847 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Very much. Thanks! Btw, with atmos and dts-hd... I mean br remux movies loaded from the usb hard drive to the tv, and if the ARC can handle those sound formats
I don't load anything directly to my Sony 900E (file wise) to play. I find it much easier to get an uncompressed audio track, including Dolby Atmos, via a .mkv file from my OPPO 103 player (hard drive connected to OPPO via USB.)

A lot more processing power and ease of use, IMHO.

Home Theater Setup
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
post #13848 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
so, with the TV button set to HDMI3, it still flashes and goes to the OTA tuner momentarily before going to HDMI3? is this on start-up or even if the TV is on, and you were already using another source (HDMI2, for eg)?
Its just on the initial startup. Even when the TV was left on HDMI3, it still rolls through the tuner. If I switch inputs on the TV (HDMI 2 to 3), it does a momentary black screen which is ideal.
post #13849 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Was your Samsung FALD or edge lit? Steeping into FALD is a HUGE step in the right direction
If he thinks the TV is too dark what difference does it make? Either he thinks it is too dark or it isn't.
post #13850 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked: 1147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_In_Louisville View Post
This may be in the wrong forum but I thought it may be better here since people here may have more experience with what works best with this TV.

After the expense of the TV my wife has limited me on my player outlay. I was looking at the Samsung UBD-M7500/ZA or the LG UP870 because they are around $100 on Amazon.

You guys convinced me what a great TV this was so I don’t know want to over spend on a UHD player if the TV can do what is needed better.
I have the Samsung 7500 on my bedroom TV, it works very well and is a steal at $100 IMHO. Wired internet connection only, but if you are using it just for UHD discs, that's no big deal.

FWIW, I feel that UHD discs are definitely worth it. YMMV.

My humble main system:
Vizio M75-E1; Oppo 203 universal UHD player; Denon 4300H AVR, Dual PSA S1801's; Monitor Audio Silver RX-6 mains, RX center, and RX surrounds; one pair NHT mini Atmos speakers; Home-built HTPC (Xeon E1230, 16gb RAM, Crucial M500 480gb SSD, GeForce 980Ti, Corsair CX600, CoolerMaster mini-ITX case); Roku Premiere+; Amazon 4K Fire TV
post #13851 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Its just on the initial startup. Even when the TV was left on HDMI3, it still rolls through the tuner. If I switch inputs on the TV (HDMI 2 to 3), it does a momentary black screen which is ideal.
this may be a wild suggestion, but it might help you...

even with the OTA tuner disabled from "inputs," if i type a channel number, it will actually go to the OTA tuner (for us, there is nothing there since we do OTA through our Roamio). potentially, you can use this is a way to use the OTA tuner and not have the glitch at startup if it's bothering you enough.
GoZags13 likes this.
post #13852 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithian View Post
If he thinks the TV is too dark what difference does it make? Either he thinks it is too dark or it isn't.
Well - that's the first I've ever heard on this forum about the Sony 900E being "too dark." I use the light sensor in my man cave because the picture is too bright.

Home Theater Setup
post #13853 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
I don't load anything directly to my Sony 900E (file wise) to play. I find it much easier to get an uncompressed audio track, including Dolby Atmos, via a .mkv file from my OPPO 103 player (hard drive connected to OPPO via USB.)

A lot more processing power and ease of use, IMHO.

That’s a game changer. So you recommend get the Oppo 103 to watch mkv rips of Bluray to pass the audio too?
post #13854 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That’s a game changer. So you recommend get the Oppo 103 to watch mkv rips of Bluray to pass the audio too?
Or the OPPO 203! (4K/HDR) I'm a big OPPO fan but any other Bluray player that handles .mkv files (most popular) should do a better job than just plugging in a hard drive or USB for file playing, directly, from the Sony 900E.

Upscaled, plain old Bluray discs, look phenomenal on my Sony 900E.
Neoshinta likes this.

Home Theater Setup
post #13855 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Anyone else notice the TV keeps an active power supply going even when turned off? I have fans and a usb light plugged into the back USB ports and with the tv off, even after all night, I hear my fans kick on for a short period of time almost every 2-3 minutes. I also see the plugged in light flash quickly for a sec. just seems odd the tv is cycling power to the USB ports constantly. Any reason for this? Is there a way to stop this(if I should)?
post #13856 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
For anyone that has the 75inch XBR900E, I need to wall mount the bracket before the buying TV for construction purposes. On the back of the Sony TV, the holes where the bracket would go don't seem to be centered between the top and the bottom (looks to be centered on the bottom third of the TV). Can anyone confirm if the bracket holes on the bottom are 6 inches from the bottom of the TV and the top holes are 16 inches from the top of the TV.

Want to make sure the bracket I install on the wall is the right height, but if I assume it's centered on the back of the TV I'm afraid I'd be wrong in doing that since it seems like it would attach to the mount much lower.

FYI - I have the Sanus Advanced Tilt Mount

Thanks in advance!
post #13857 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitching101 View Post
For anyone that has the 75inch XBR900E, I need to wall mount the bracket before the buying TV for construction purposes. On the back of the Sony TV, the holes where the bracket would go don't seem to be centered between the top and the bottom (looks to be centered on the bottom third of the TV). Can anyone confirm if the bracket holes on the bottom are 6 inches from the bottom of the TV and the top holes are 16 inches from the top of the TV.

Want to make sure the bracket I install on the wall is the right height, but if I assume it's centered on the back of the TV I'm afraid I'd be wrong in doing that since it seems like it would attach to the mount much lower.

FYI - I have the Sanus Advanced Tilt Mount

Thanks in advance!
I don't know the dimension from the bottom, but the dimension down from the top is 16.25" I believe from when I measured it.
pitching101 likes this.
post #13858 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
this may be a wild suggestion, but it might help you...

even with the OTA tuner disabled from "inputs," if i type a channel number, it will actually go to the OTA tuner (for us, there is nothing there since we do OTA through our Roamio). potentially, you can use this is a way to use the OTA tuner and not have the glitch at startup if it's bothering you enough.
That's a good idea, especially as we only watch one or two channels anyway.
post #13859 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitching101 View Post
I would wait to put the bracket on the wall till you get the bracket on the TV and then measure it exactly. Also the TV comes with a cardboard piece that's the exact size of the TV that you can use to hold up to the wall and see if you like the height. I found that very handy for determining where I wanted the TV. You think you know until you see the screen/cardboard on the wall, and then you might change your mind.
post #13860 of 19268 Old 03-20-2018, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I bought a digital download of these 4K HDR test patterns: https://diversifiedvideosolutions.com/dvs_products.html

The black level clipping pattern has flashing bars. You turn up the brightness until you start to see bar 28 (which is slightly above reference black) start to flash. This has me turning up the "black level" because HDR has brightness already maxed out and I have contrast set to 90. Black level is then high enough that it causes SDR on the same input to have a grey washed out look and SDR brightness is already down around 30. I don't recall the exact black level without looking at my set tonight.
Thanks for the link and I'll have to grab that in the future for trying my hand at future hdr calibrating. I do have the demo he posted here on AVS and I used that to measure this 900E's hdr brightness when I started using this tv a few weeks ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page