2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 464 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40396Likes

post #13891 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6775 Post(s)
Liked: 6784
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitching101 View Post
Totally agree but my wife is doing some sort of stacked stone look on the living room wall so the guy was going to install the mount and then stack the stone around it lol. Did you find the mount attached slightly lower on the TV? Thanks again guys, super helpful.

When the guy came to sketch it out on the sheetrock, he drew the dimensions of the TV where we wanted it, then put a dot in the center of the drawn TV to note to himself to install mount there. Thinking he should go about 5 inches lower now since the mount isn't centered on the back of the TV. (Sounds like true measurement is 16.25 inches from top of the TV and around 6 inches from the bottom of the TV - so moving it down 5 inches would meet in the middle)
The TV is going to cover what is not bricked, leave your self plenty of room unbricked as this will surely not be your last tv and the next set may require something different
RandyWalters and pitching101 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13892 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post
I'm thinking about purchasing something like an ATV (Maybe the ATV?) can it be hooked directly to an AVR then to the 900e?
Yes. I connect everything to my Denon AVR and a single HDMI out to HDMI Input 3(ARC).
post #13893 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarriere View Post
I did the update and have no new problems.
I didn't have any old problems though.
So far, so good!

What was the update for?
My tv got the update yesterday and it fixed my sound problem, which affected some people. Plenty of mad people on the official Sony forum about it since the problem lasted 2 months. A lot of them returned their tv and some wanted a class action lawsuit brought against Sony. I didn't see as many people affected by it in this thread though, possibly because if you don't use TV speakers then you aren't affected and I assume the majority of people here don't use TV speakers.

Scarriere likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13894 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So what are people's thoughts on the need for a 4k Blu Ray player with this set? It seems many think it unnecessary due to the strong upscaling. Anyone see a big benefit?
post #13895 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsnov73 View Post
Yes. I connect everything to my Denon AVR and a single HDMI out to HDMI Input 3(ARC).
1st, Thank-U!

Is ATV the best of the streaming boxes, devices, services (not sure what to call it)?
post #13896 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom View Post
So what are people's thoughts on the need for a 4k Blu Ray player with this set? It seems many think it unnecessary due to the strong upscaling. Anyone see a big benefit?
The leap from 1080p to 4K is huge, but not as huge as SD to HD. You'll want a 4K-UHD player for sure. $150 for an xbox one works great!
post #13897 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Are you talking about having the player just for how it upscales blu rays vs the TV or having the player to also watch uhd blurays?

If just for upscaling then I highly doubt it. If to also watch uhd blu rays then regarding benefit, for sure. You get wcg and hdr with the uhd blu rays along with a clearer and usually more detailed image. The upscaling of the set is indeed very nice yet it's not mistaken for actual 4k content.

As for need, that's a purely subjective thing as well as financial. For me, I don't need to watch a movie in 4k but I prefer to when possible.
post #13898 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
1st, Thank-U!

Is ATV the best of the streaming boxes, devices, services (not sure what to call it)?
I don't think so myself. I've really liked my Fire TV and it does everything I want it to do. I'm also in no way married to Apple's ecosystem, while I know some people are.
post #13899 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindo View Post
Are you talking about having the player just for how it upscales blu rays vs the TV or having the player to also watch uhd blurays?

If just for upscaling then I highly doubt it. If to also watch uhd blu rays then regarding benefit, for sure. You get wcg and hdr with the uhd blu rays along with a clearer and usually more detailed image. The upscaling of the set is indeed very nice yet it's not mistaken for actual 4k content.

As for need, that's a purely subjective thing as well as financial. For me, I don't need to watch a movie in 4k but I prefer to when possible.
Yeah, I'm talking about playing actual 4k discs. I have both The Martian and Coco 4k discs (they were only a few bucks more to be "future proof" I thought.) I'd REALLY probably like to buy an Xbox One X, but man it's hard to swallow the $500 when I just dropped almost $1k on the TV itself. I thought I saw some 4k players open box at the best buy for like $117 or something like that.
post #13900 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskeg View Post
The leap from 1080p to 4K is huge, but not as huge as SD to HD. You'll want a 4K-UHD player for sure. $150 for an xbox one works great!
Xbox One S or Xbox One X. The original Xbox One won't do 4K. Just in case you find a deal on a used Xbox One. You won't find any NEW original Xbox Ones, but Craigslist and eBay have plenty.
Muskeg likes this.

Xbox: Deezul
Sony XBR-65X900E, Sony XBR-49X900E
Go Jackets!
post #13901 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Quote:
1st, Thank-U!

I have an ATV and Roku. I like the Roku remote and ability to plug headphones into the Roku remote but ATV is really nice as it upgraded a lot of my digital movies to the 4K version for free but absolutely hate the remote.
post #13902 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
That's a very subjective question. If you own lots of apple products, it is unparalleled in its ease of integration. Also, even if you don't have a lot of apple stuff it still is a very good device, and has most of the apps you'd want on it now (some didn't exist originally). I've used Hulu, YoutubeTV, Amazon, Netflix, HBOgo, Disney all with no complaints. I also like that it automatically will control the TV via HDMI, turning it on/off and adjusting speaker volume. The voice commands also work very well, even the 4 year old can get it to find movies.

The downside is the cost is higher than similar products.
post #13903 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Yeah, I'm talking about playing actual 4k discs. I have both The Martian and Coco 4k discs (they were only a few bucks more to be "future proof" I thought.) I'd REALLY probably like to buy an Xbox One X, but man it's hard to swallow the $500 when I just dropped almost $1k on the TV itself. I thought I saw some 4k players open box at the best buy for like $117 or something like that.
With 4k blu rays based on reviews I have read (I only own 4 or 5), I think there will be a decent range of how much better they will be than their regular blu counterparts so that is something to keep in mind. I double dipped a lot of movies I had on dvd when hd-dvd and blu ray came out but my view with uhd blu is that if I want a new release then I'd for sure buy the 4k version but for catalog titles I already have on blu, I won't double or triple dip unless it is a movie I really like and the 4k version is said to be a really great improvement.

As for players, since this tv doesn't support DV, I think that in general (key word being think as I am not sure) any/most of the uhd players should do a pretty good job. Not completely certain of how the xbox one s and x are with uhd playback though.
post #13904 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjspr9 View Post
I have an ATV and Roku. I like the Roku remote and ability to plug headphones into the Roku remote but ATV is really nice as it upgraded a lot of my digital movies to the 4K version for free but absolutely hate the remote.
While I love the remote...I enjoy the touch screen, and never will use a headphone jack so it works for me.
post #13905 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
1st, Thank-U!

If you play games my vote would go to the nvidia shield, not only can you download and play android games, but you can also subscribe to their streaming game service and you can also stream any game from your PC in another room over the network and it works really well, not to mention movies and media.

Sony 85" 900F
Denon x4200w
BIC F12
6x Energy RC-10
DirecTV 4k/ Nvidia Shield 2019 / PS4 Pro / 1080 TI
post #13906 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Is there a trick to having the IR blaster control your av receiver? I program it, it tests fine, but the remote still controls the tv volume rather than the receiver volume. Set top box control works fine though.
post #13907 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpete987 View Post
Yeah, due to some incredible upscaling tech that exists in modern TVs, especially Sonys, 4K Blu-rays just don't have that same wow factor over regular Blu-ray that IT had over regular DVD. I swear from my sitting position of about 10 feet from my 65", I CANNOT tell the difference, I've ever compared a couple of films just to test it out. The upscaling of 1080p Blu is that good.
Quote:
New issue- Has anyone figured out how to "kill" the native Sling app? Here's my issue:

I'm a Sling subscriber (single viewer mode). If I use the tv's native Android app to watch sling, it works great. But if I want to watch Sling via the xbox one or Roku on the same tv, even though I have hit stop on playing the native app and back out to the home screen prior to launching the xbox or Roku app, those apps tell me that Sling is already running. I've tried launching other native apps on the tv's home screen, I've tried restarting the tv. Nothing works---the Xbox and Roku always tell me that Sling is already being used.

The only thing I've found that works is to uninstall the native Sling app and just not use it. Which is fine, except when it isn't

Anyone else experiencing this?
I don't know if the problem is with the app - it could be with Sling recognizing that you're "already logged in" from your IP Address and all devices in your house attempt to access the service with the same IP. Does the problem only show up after you've used the built-in app and then try to go to an external app? How many simultaneous logins does Sling support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddn149 View Post
Anyone else notice the TV keeps an active power supply going even when turned off? I have fans and a usb light plugged into the back USB ports and with the tv off, even after all night, I hear my fans kick on for a short period of time almost every 2-3 minutes. I also see the plugged in light flash quickly for a sec. just seems odd the tv is cycling power to the USB ports constantly. Any reason for this? Is there a way to stop this(if I should)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledvedder View Post
This! This is making me crazy.
The set doesn't light up the USB ports only - if you have a sound bar connected via TOSLINK and have -it- set to auto power-on, it will periodically turn on while the TV is off. The TV is doing short power-on cycles, but I don't know for sure why.

You could -TRY- to turn off the option that allows remote IP devices to wake up the TV. Be aware, though, that this will likely kill off any functionality from Alexa to start up the the TV. It's also possible that you would need to turn off the auto-download firmware updates option as maybe that's why it periodically wakes up.

Quote:
Quote:
I have the Sony 4K player and it's a nice deck. I have a few 4K DVD's and quite a few BluRay discs. "On paper", the increase in resolution from HD to UHD (2K to 4K, 1080 to 4K - however you want to say it) is as impressive as it was when going from Standard Definition (480) to High Definition. The problem with the jump to 4K is that A) some discs simply aren't mastered for it, B) your eyes aren't able to discern all of the additional pixels, and/or C) you're sitting too far from your TV to be able to tell.

I have standard DVD's (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade) that look awesome on my 940D (75"). I have BluRay's that look so-so (Die Hard 1) played by the same means. It all comes down to the original quality of the movie as it was shot combined with the mastering process. If you want to know WHICH movies to own in 4K, read reviews on the individual movies.

Avatar looks absolutely stellar on my 940D and my copy is HD (BluRay). Definitely a huge improvement to the overall clarity and the color compared to the HD set I had before.
post #13908 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoZags13 View Post
That's a very subjective question. If you own lots of apple products, it is unparalleled in its ease of integration. Also, even if you don't have a lot of apple stuff it still is a very good device, and has most of the apps you'd want on it now (some didn't exist originally). I've used Hulu, YoutubeTV, Amazon, Netflix, HBOgo, Disney all with no complaints. I also like that it automatically will control the TV via HDMI, turning it on/off and adjusting speaker volume. The voice commands also work very well, even the 4 year old can get it to find movies.

The downside is the cost is higher than similar products.
hope this is ok with price rules... there is a deal to get a free AppleTV for prepaying 3 months of DirectTV now. with Ebates, my net cost was $89. that made it a more reasonable "purchase." (i plan to drop DTVN when the three months are up)
I WANT MORE likes this.
post #13909 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Sony has released new firmware for this set.

What Does This Do?

This software update (version PKG6.2858.00082NAA) provides the following benefits:
  • Improves general performance of the TV
  • Improves performance when starting content from the PS4™ Pro gaming console
  • Improves performance for Amazon Prime® video playback
https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-d...os_group_id=18
post #13910 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked: 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post
Sony has released new firmware for this set.

What Does This Do?

This software update (version PKG6.2858.00082NAA) provides the following benefits:
  • Improves general performance of the TV
  • Improves performance when starting content from the PS4™ Pro gaming console
  • Improves performance for Amazon Prime® video playback
https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-d...os_group_id=18
Much thanks for the info. Here's hoping that the "Improves performance for Amazon Prime video playback" takes care of the audio drop outs with native apps.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #13911 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Much thanks for the info. Here's hoping that the "Improves performance for Amazon Prime video playback" takes care of the audio drop outs with native apps.
No problem! It has not come through the automatic updater for me just yet. I even checked manually and nothing. I will just wait until its automatically pushed to me.
post #13912 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
No update in AU since October 2017...Will be my last Sony TV if I don’t see Sony supporting things this side of the pond...

https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/...000e#downloads
post #13913 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Does your Denon power on via HDMI CEC, or are you using a universal remote?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #13914 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
I see a big benefit.
I had the Sony UBP-X800 in my closet until I had a 4K tv, this one, to play it on.
I put The Revenant on and was blown away. The first scene, walking in the water towards the camp had me .
post #13915 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I'm thinking about purchasing something like an ATV (Maybe the ATV?) can it be hooked directly to an AVR then to the 900e?
I have my ATV 4K hooked up to my Denon AVR which is connected to HDMI3 on the TV. The only issue I sometimes have with this setup is the audio/video being out of sync.
post #13916 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by martiansoldier View Post
I have my ATV 4K hooked up to my Denon AVR which is connected to HDMI3 on the TV. The only issue I sometimes have with this setup is the audio/video being out of sync.

Have you tried the auto lip sync feature on your AVR? I had to turn that on and add an additional 20 ms delay, and it seemed pretty good.

I’ll ask you the same question I asked another poster, are you able to power on your AVR using either the TV remote or the ATV remote (using HDMI CEC)?

post #13917 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilan View Post
Have you tried the auto lip sync feature on your AVR? I had to turn that on and add an additional 20 ms delay, and it seemed pretty good.

I’ll ask you the same question I asked another poster, are you able to power on your AVR using either the TV remote or the ATV remote (using HDMI CEC)?

Yes, I have used the sync feature but I have to adjust it to different settings for different apps/devices.

I have HDMI CEC turned off. I use a universal remote with my setup.
post #13918 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is there some kind of special HDMI cable that's needed to get ARC to work? The HDMI cable that I have going from my AVR to the ARC input is a High Speed cable with Ethernet, https://www.walmart.com/ip/ONN-High-...-Feet/20970616 this same cable is hooked up to my Nvidia SHIELD & it plays everything (in terms of audio codecs (atmos, TrueHD, DTSMA, DD+, etc etc), 4K & HDR). I also seem to get the same results no matter what HDMI cable I use, I've tried switching them out, I've used the one that came with the Xbox 1S, same result as far as ARC not sending the sound back to the AVR

My AVR is a Denon S710W, I'm beginning to wonder if maybe this receiver isn't compatible with ARC. It's not really a big issue for me as I can just as easily get everything I want including all audio codecs, 4K resolution, & HDR from my Nvidia SHIELD, XB1-S, & PS4 which are all connected to my receiver's inputs with only that one cable output labeled as HDMI out: Monitor ARC going from the AVR to the TV,. It's a bit perplexing to me as to why I can't seem to get this ARC nonsense to work, it seems like it should be a pretty straightforward thing, but for whatever reason, it's the one issue in my setup that I can't get to cooperate.

900e Settings
  • Dolby Dynamic Range: Standard
  • Dolby Digital Plus output: DD+
  • Bravia Sync Control: On
  • Device auto power off: On
  • TV auto power on: On
  • HDMI signal format: Enhanced 4K HDMI
  • Speakers: Audio System (if I switch it to TV speakers I get audio, but only though the TV & not the speakers hooked up to the AVR)
  • Audio system prioritization: On
  • Headphone/Audio Out: Variable (doesn't work on Fixed either)
  • HDMI audio source: Auto
  • A/V sync: Auto
  • Digital Audio out: Auto 1 (doesn't work in PCM either)

Denon s710w settings
  • HDMI audio out: AVR
  • HDMI control: On
  • ARC: On
  • Pass through: On
  • Pass source: PC
  • TV audio switching: On
  • Power off control: All

Last edited by DreMarceaux; 03-21-2018 at 09:37 PM.
post #13919 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Hey guys! Proud owner of 75x900e here for 3 months.

Lately I have been playing around with some REMUX rip and using the Sony Video app (Plug my WD passport 2TB to the high speed USD port at the back of the TV).

I had a few problem with the app (Sony Video app and also VLC app, installed on the TV). Most new remux file work fine (they are between 55-82gb) but a lot of the older movie reencode to 4k will have judder(laggy). This include new cartoon like Desciple Me 3 Remux.

So tonight after the TV update I gave Kodi a try, all the judder gone, and i THINK the PQ gets better too, lol. Is it safe to save Kodi is that much better as a player? (consider the TV still using the same process power to decode those HD Remux Rip

KEF Q750, Q650c, Kube 12B, Denon AVR-X3400H, Sony XBR75x900e, PS4 Pro
post #13920 of 19268 Old 03-21-2018, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
new software update for usa only
snorge likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags