2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 470 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40396Likes

post #14071 of 19274 Old 03-23-2018, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledvedder View Post
Yeah, I watch some series on Netflix that are 4K ultra HD but not hdr.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
So what do you think is lacking when you watch those types of 4k shows with your SDR settings? Too dim? not enough "pop"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14072 of 19274 Old 03-23-2018, 10:31 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledvedder View Post
I updated via USB and now I'm getting a gray and black flashing screen.

It's things like this that make me resist updating firmware unless there is a compelling reason. I have been burned in the past myself. Hope you resolve the issue.
post #14073 of 19274 Old 03-23-2018, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Update problems

Update has not gone as smooth as i would have hoped and i should have resisted just as suggested above.

first, i installed using the USB method and instructions. first, i was a worried: i did the update by USB and it finished but never powered the TV up again. after 40 minutes, i gave the TV a discrete Power On command (since there is a warning to not power off during the the update process), and it came up fine.

anyone else encounter this? the instructions seem to suggest that it should power up and tell you the update is done (which i was only able to accomplish by powering up the TV myself.

i also just encountered another oddity. it seemed that the TV started randomly changing input even though i didn't try to change input with the remote nor my universal remote. sort of freaky.

i just rebooted the TV again and it stayed on my input i wanted for a while but then it just magically flipped inputs again. very strange and frustrating. anyone else seeing this? i have brava sync control off.

Last edited by Derek87; 03-23-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14074 of 19274 Old 03-23-2018, 10:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked: 1282
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic dog View Post
It's things like this that make me resist updating firmware unless there is a compelling reason. I have been burned in the past myself. Hope you resolve the issue.
Updating via USB can be iffy at times. With my old Samsung LCD, I totally turned off updates early on within the first year of ownership. Samsung updates were affecting picture quality.

I believe (hope) that the Sony updates won’t mess with the picture settings. The update was pushed to my 49” 900E already but not my 75”. At some point, you have to trust the manufacturer to provide a worry free, update process and the benefits of the update(s). Often times, the explanations can be real kludgy on the benefits.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #14075 of 19274 Old 03-23-2018, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maugrim View Post
I can get 10Gb/s for $65/month
I h8 you.
Maugrim likes this.

Last edited by jge1; 03-23-2018 at 11:02 PM.
post #14076 of 19274 Old 03-23-2018, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjspr9 View Post
So what do you think is lacking when you watch those types of 4k shows with your SDR settings? Too dim? not enough "pop"?
Nothing really. I was just curious what others do.

post #14077 of 19274 Old 03-24-2018, 02:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello friends.
In 3-4 days the TV is not turned on and the red light is on.
I can not count how many times it burned.
I found this error when I entered service mode.
what is the meaning of this error?
post #14078 of 19274 Old 03-24-2018, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowashere View Post
Hello friends.
I forgot to add photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180324_103709.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	486.5 KB
ID:	2379480  
post #14079 of 19274 Old 03-24-2018, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
Hi all,

I'm getting a few requests for my personal settings so I thought I'd type them out so if you wanted to try you didn't have to sit through my lame YouTube videos...lol Here they are. A few slight tweaks since the videos were posted but they are very similar. Turned the black level down a little further on SDR content.

SDR
Picture Mode (doesn't matter really once you edit them, they are just "slots" but I use Standard)
Auto Picture Mode Off
Brightness 20-30 depending on brightness of room
Color- 65
Light Sensor- Off

Advanced Settings
Brightness 20-30
Contrast 95
Gamma -1
Black Level 42
Black Adjust Medium
Adv Contrast Enhancer Medium
Local Dimming Medium or High
Xtended Dynamic Range Med

Color 65
Hue 0
Color Temp Warm
Adv Color - Don't touch
Live Color Low

Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Off
Random Noise Reduction Off
Digital Noise Reduction Off for blu ray, netflix, etc or Auto for cable/satelite
Smooth gradation Low

Motionflow (depends on content)
Everything off OR
Custom- Smoothness 2, Clearness Min, Cinemotion Medium

HDR Mode Auto
HDMI Range Auto
Color Space Auto (some blu rays I will turn on BT2020 to get some more pop but it only looks good on some- personal preference)

HDR is pretty similar- The tv will auto adjust just a few settings- Brightness, Contrast, Xtended Dynamic Range- so these can be adjusted on the same picture preset and they will stick and not effect your SDR settings at all) Or you can use a different picture preset and just manually change it if you're watching HDR video

Picture Mode (doesn't matter really once you edit them, they are just "slots" but I use Standard)
Auto Picture Mode Off
Brightness Max
Color- 70
Light Sensor- Off

Advanced Settings
Brightness Max
Contrast Max
Gamma -1
Black Level 45
Black Adjust Medium
Xtended Dynamic Range High

Color 70
Hue 0
Color Temp Warm
Adv Color - Don't touch
Live Color Low or Med (netflix tends to be a little dull so I ramp up to Medium)

Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Off
Digital Noise Reduction Off for blu ray, netflix, etc or Auto for cable/satelite
Smooth gradation Low

Everything off OR

HDR Mode Auto
HDMI Range Auto
Color Space Auto

Hope this helps someone get more out of their tv :-)
How do you set separate Standard settings for SDR and HDR?
post #14080 of 19274 Old 03-24-2018, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I posted this same question on the Denon X-Series Owner thread, but am posting here as well, as I don't know if my problem is a setting I am missing on the receiver or tv.

I have the X2400H receiver and a Sony XBR-75X900E television. I run all my components through the receiver and a single HDMI out to the ARC input on the TV. Everything works fine, except the annoying "Switching audio to external speakers" notification that pops up when turning my setup to various activities via my Harmony remote. So, as the original post states in the ARC section, I figured I would just connect via optical cable for audio for the internal TV apps since I already had an optical cable run.

I have turned ARC off in the receiver settings. I have set the TV to audio receiver I think it's called instead of internal speakers, and in the Digital Audio out section of the TV settings, I have (3) options and have tried them all and get no sound.

My optical cable has been plugged into the TV Audio and the CD optical inputs and no audio on either. I have tried a second optical cable, connecting to both optical inputs on the receiver, and still no audio.

There must be some setting I am missing on the TV or receiver, but I have gone through the options on both and am definitely not seeing what it could be.

Any ideas? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0806.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2379538  
post #14081 of 19274 Old 03-24-2018, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 6785 Post(s)
Liked: 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by isowashere View Post
Hello friends.
Sounds like you need to call Sony for service, they are normally pretty good so you should get hooked up fast
post #14082 of 19274 Old 03-24-2018, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post
Make the adjustments when in HDR mode, i.e. Watching an HDR program. It's an automatic switch depending on the program type. I presume you could force it into HDR using the settings menu for HDR, but I usually just adjust it when watching an HDR program, so I can see how it actually affects the picture of true HDR content. The settings are retained and applied whenever the content triggers the HDR mode.

Last edited by Mac128; 03-24-2018 at 09:34 AM.
post #14083 of 19274 Old 03-24-2018, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
Make the adjustments when in HDR mode, i.e. Watching an HDR program. It's an automatic switch depending on the program type. I presume you could force it into HDR using the settings menu for HDR, but I usually just adjust it when watching an HDR program, so I can see how it actually affects the picture of true HDR content. The settings are retained and applied whenever the content triggers the HDR mode.
Thank-U...I couldn't find a dedicated SDR or HDR toggle...This makes sense!
post #14084 of 19274 Old 03-24-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
Hi all,

I'm getting a few requests for my personal settings so I thought I'd type them out so if you wanted to try you didn't have to sit through my lame YouTube videos...lol Here they are. A few slight tweaks since the videos were posted but they are very similar. Turned the black level down a little further on SDR content.

SDR
Auto Picture Mode Off
Brightness 20-30 depending on brightness of room
Color- 65
Light Sensor- Off

Advanced Settings
Brightness 20-30
Contrast 95
Gamma -1
Black Level 42
Black Adjust Medium
Xtended Dynamic Range Med

Color 65
Hue 0
Color Temp Warm
Adv Color - Don't touch
Live Color Low

Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Off
Smooth gradation Low

Everything off OR

HDR Mode Auto
HDMI Range Auto
Color Space Auto (some blu rays I will turn on BT2020 to get some more pop but it only looks good on some- personal preference)

HDR is pretty similar- The tv will auto adjust just a few settings- Brightness, Contrast, Xtended Dynamic Range- so these can be adjusted on the same picture preset and they will stick and not effect your SDR settings at all) Or you can use a different picture preset and just manually change it if you're watching HDR video

Auto Picture Mode Off
Brightness Max
Color- 70
Light Sensor- Off

Advanced Settings
Brightness Max
Contrast Max
Gamma -1
Black Level 45
Black Adjust Medium
Xtended Dynamic Range High

Color 70
Hue 0
Color Temp Warm
Adv Color - Don't touch
Live Color Low or Med (netflix tends to be a little dull so I ramp up to Medium)

Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Off
Smooth gradation Low

Everything off OR

HDR Mode Auto
HDMI Range Auto
Color Space Auto

Hope this helps someone get more out of their tv :-)
There aren't really that many things that are different, but you can only really change a few options if you leave it on the same picture settings.

If you want to use totally different settings, then you would need to use different presets and manually change it for SDR and HDR content.

If you want it to just stay on the same preset once HDR video loads then I think you can only change brightness contrast gamma and extended dynamic range. Everything else will be the same and if you change it in HDR mode it will also be changed in SDR mode

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
post #14085 of 19274 Old 03-24-2018, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Back on 3/12 and 3/13 i posted here wondering how much of an upgrade the 55X900E would be compared to my 2014 Sony 55W800B 1080p LCD TV in my Man-Room, but for watching my regular Non-4K content (primarily local and cable news, primetime programming, some Blu-Ray movies, some sports, and lots of auto racing via Roof Antenna, Time Warner Cable, and Netflix). All year i've been reading posts and reviews and the general consensus seems to be that a good UHD "4K" TV will display good Non-4K sources and content pretty well, with some folks saying the TV upscales such content to "near 4K quality" which i thought is a bit of a stretch.

So last weekend i picked up a 55X900E before the remaining inventory dries up and set it up next to my 55W800B in my Man-Room (both fed by an HDMI splitter) to do some side-by-side comparisons for the first few hours. When i first turned it on it looked like absolute crap on the factory settings but after several minutes exploring the settings menus i had it looking better than the W800B, and after more experimenting and tweaking this TV has exceeded my expectations. Not unexpectedly it does have a better contrast ratio, deeper black levels, better shadow detail, better colors, better processing, and a clearer image and is a definite upgrade over my W800B in every category. My favorite improvement is the much better facial detail and more accurate skin tones which are my two most important aspects. This TV does not disappoint. It's considerably better than my 55W800B when i had them side-by-side, and is very comparable to my 55ST60 (currently lonely in the guest room) and even exceeds that in some categories (except for consistent Shadow Detail).

As for settings, i always adjust my TVs by eye while tuned to my local news broadcasts because the news anchors' faces in the studio are a good source for fine-tuning facial detail and skin tones, and their suits and dresses are good for adjusting black levels and shadow detail (pin stripes and button holes etc). Once these are set everything else pretty much falls into place, but some areas sometimes need more tweaking. KCBS ch 2.1 here has an excellent 1080i signal but some of the other local channels (like KTLA ch 5.1) are good too so i'm lucky there. My Elysium Blu-Ray looks incredible !! And when i turn my Darbee on it all gets even better. Formula One Qualifying this morning looked amazing.

I've posted my initial settings below. People have liked my eye-balled W800B settings as well as my ST60 and other Plasma TV settings so maybe some of you would like these. I tend to lean more towards a realistic look where others seem to like it more saturated etc, but this TV still pops even with my modest settings. I do find myself bumping the Color up but then it starts to look fake so i back it off. I'm going to experiment with other Picture Modes again but so far i'm finding Cinema Home the best fit for my particular content. I've also tried some 4K videos from the onboard apps and my settings seem to work well for that as well, but i'm still learning about the new unfamiliar-to-me categories and experimenting. I'm enjoying this TV more than i thought i would !!

Edit on 4/7: I've been trying different picture modes and other settings but i keep coming back to Cinema Home, and i have fine-tuned some of my settings as i discover issues. My biggest struggle is getting consistent Shadow Detail - on some broadcasts and channels i get it looking good, then on other shows or channels it's not so good so i keep bouncing back and forth with the Black Level setting. I'm still very happy with this TV and it's a big improvement over my 2014 55W800B in all categories.

Edit - i've updated my settings as of 4/23/18 below and they're looking good on my Spectrum Cable and Antenna content.

On my Spectrum Arris DVR and my Tivo Roamio i set them to output everything at 1080i instead of Native or 720p. I've actually compared all three methods at home and on installs for other people over the years and have repeatedly found that doing this results in more detail. Even on 720p channels, things like blades of grass and close-ups of faces shows more detail when using the 1080i setting. The same holds true on my new 4K TV.

PICTURE

Picture Mode: Cinema Home
Auto Picture Mode: Off
Brightness: (see below)
Color: (see below)
Light Sensor: Off

BRIGHTNESS

Brightness: was 15, now 26
Contrast: 98
Gamma: was 2 , then -1, now 0
Black Level: was 45, then 49, now 42
Black Adjust: High
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: was High, now Off
Auto Local Dimming: Medium
X-Tended Dynamic Range: Medium

COLOR

Color: was 50, then 48, now 40
Hue: was R1 now R2
Color Temp: Expert 1
Adv. Color Temp (B-Gain, R-Bias, etc): (See these settings below)
Live Color: Low

[Adv. Color Temperature in the Color section]

R-Gain: Max
G-Gain: Max
B-Gain: -6

R-Bias: -7
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: -12 (reduced blue push in news anchors' black suits and dresses)

R-Offset: 0
G-Offset: 0
B-Offset: 0

CLARITY

Sharpness: was 60 now 55
Reality Creation: Manual
Resolution: was 80 now 78
Mastered in 4K: On
Random Noise Reduction: Low
Digital Noise Reduction: Low
Smooth Gradiation: Low

MOTION

Motionflow: Was Custom, now Standard
Smoothness: was 4, now 2
Clearness: Min
Cinemotion Off

VIDEO Options

HDR Mode: Auto
HDMI Video Range: was Auto now Limited
Color Space: Auto

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...

Last edited by RandyWalters; 11-22-2018 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Updated my settings a little
post #14086 of 19274 Old 03-24-2018, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsnov73 View Post
I posted this same question on the Denon X-Series Owner thread, but am posting here as well, as I don't know if my problem is a setting I am missing on the receiver or tv.

I have the X2400H receiver and a Sony XBR-75X900E television. I run all my components through the receiver and a single HDMI out to the ARC input on the TV. Everything works fine, except the annoying "Switching audio to external speakers" notification that pops up when turning my setup to various activities via my Harmony remote. So, as the original post states in the ARC section, I figured I would just connect via optical cable for audio for the internal TV apps since I already had an optical cable run.

I have turned ARC off in the receiver settings. I have set the TV to audio receiver I think it's called instead of internal speakers, and in the Digital Audio out section of the TV settings, I have (3) options and have tried them all and get no sound.

My optical cable has been plugged into the TV Audio and the CD optical inputs and no audio on either. I have tried a second optical cable, connecting to both optical inputs on the receiver, and still no audio.

There must be some setting I am missing on the TV or receiver, but I have gone through the options on both and am definitely not seeing what it could be.

Any ideas? Thanks
I don't know if its a coincidence but my receiver was working fine for a few days and i hooked it up the way your describing and i also lost all audio that receivers toast now.
post #14087 of 19274 Old 03-24-2018, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bought a 65900E a week ago and am happy with this TV and have had no picture problems at all! Been reading on this forum for the last week or so trying to find out the best picture setting for my eyes and viewing room. I think I have been spending more time reading posts here than actually watching the TV! I have learned a lot and have been trying to put it to good use in in understanding everything
about this TV. So many settings but I am actually having fun trying to dial in this TV for a perfect picture! Thanks everybody for all of your posts!
post #14088 of 19274 Old 03-24-2018, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
Back on 3/12 and 3/13 i posted here wondering how much of an upgrade the 55X900E would be compared to my 2014 Sony 55W800B 1080p LCD TV in my Man-Room, but for watching my regular Non-4K content (primarily local and cable news, primetime programming, some Blu-Ray movies, some sports, and lots of auto racing via Roof Antenna, Time Warner Cable, and Netflix). All year i've been reading posts and reviews and the general consensus seems to be that a good UHD "4K" TV will display good Non-4K sources and content pretty well, with some folks saying the TV upscales such content to "near 4K quality" which i thought is a bit of a stretch.

So last weekend i picked up a 55X900E before the remaining inventory dries up and set it up next to my 55W800B in my Man-Room (both fed by an HDMI splitter) to do some side-by-side comparisons for the first few hours. When i first turned it on it looked like absolute crap on the factory settings but after several minutes exploring the settings menus i had it looking better than the W800B, and after more experimenting and tweaking this TV has exceeded my expectations. Not unexpectedly it does have a better contrast ratio, deeper black levels, better shadow detail, better colors, better processing, and a clearer image and is a definite upgrade over my W800B in every category. My favorite improvement is the much better facial detail and more accurate skin tones which are my two most important aspects. This TV does not disappoint. It's considerably better than my 55W800B when i had them side-by-side, and is very comparable to my 55ST60 in the wife's den and even exceeds that in some categories.

As for settings, i always adjust my TVs by eye while tuned to my local news broadcasts because the news anchors' faces in the studio are a good source for fine-tuning facial detail and skin tones, and their suits and dresses are good for adjusting black levels and shadow detail (pin stripes and button holes etc). Once these are set everything else pretty much falls into place, but some areas sometimes need more tweaking. KTLA ch 5.1 here has an excellent signal but the other local channels are good too so i'm lucky there. My Elysium Blu-Ray looks incredible !! And when i turn my Darbee on it all gets even better. Formula One Qualifying this morning looked amazing.

I've posted my current settings below. People have liked my eye-balled W800B settings as well as my ST60 and other Plasma TV settings so maybe some of you would like these. I tend to lean more towards a realistic look where others seem to like it more saturated etc, but this TV still pops even with my modest settings. I do find myself bumping the Color up but then it starts to look fake so i back it off. I'm going to experiment with other Picture Modes again but so far i'm finding Cinema Home the best fit for my particular content. I've also tried some 4K videos from the onboard apps and my settings seem to work well for that as well, but i'm still learning about the new unfamiliar-to-me categories and experimenting. I'm enjoying this TV more than i thought i would !!

PICTURE

Picture Mode: Cinema Home
Auto Picture Mode: Off
Brightness: (see below)
Color: (see below)
Light Sensor: Off

BRIGHTNESS

Brightness: 15
Contrast: 98
Gamma: 2
Black Level: 45
Black Adust: High
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: High
Auto Local Dimming: Med
X-Tended Dynamic Range: Med

COLOR

Color: 50
Hue: R1
Color Temp: Expert 1
Adv. Color Temp (B-Gain, R-Bias, etc): (See these settings below)
Live Color: Low

[Adv. Color Temperature in the Color section]

R-Gain: Max
G-Gain: Max
B-Gain: -6

R-Bias: +7
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: -12 (reduced blue push in news anchors' black suits and dresses)

R-Offset: 0
G-Offset: 0
B-Offset: 0

CLARITY

Sharpness: 60
Reality Creation: Manual
Resolution: 80
Mastered in 4K: On
Random Noise Reduction: Low
Digital Noise Reduction: Low
Smooth Gradiation: Low

MOTION

Motionflow: Custom
Smoothness: 4
Clearness: Min
Cinemotion Off

VIDEO Options

HDR Mode: Auto
HDMI Video Range: Auto
Color Space: Auto

These are cable TV settings? What provider do you use?

I get my broadcast TV OTA. But I tired your settings on the SD channels I watch, and can see how these would really clean up a poor cable signal.
post #14089 of 19274 Old 03-24-2018, 05:00 PM

Got the 75" Thursday and updated via wifi today (about 10 mins), so far so good. Used vipergts2207 settings from page 12 of this thread.

Love it
post #14090 of 19274 Old 03-24-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
These are cable TV settings? What provider do you use?
You must have skipped past the write-up above the settings

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
post #14091 of 19274 Old 03-24-2018, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
You must have skipped past the write-up above the settings

Sorry, re-read it and still don't know if this is meant for everything, or primarily cable. I see now you say Time Warner, which is now Spectrum.

Quote:
primarily local and cable news, primetime programming, some Blu-Ray movies, some sports, and lots of auto racing via Roof Antenna, Time Warner Cable, and Netflix).
That said based on what these setting do for my poor quality local SD OTA stations, I'm assuming you use different settings for Blu-Ray, and Netflix? They look good, but there's some heavy processing going on. Just comparing my previous settings and yours on CBS golf, which is an excellent OTA channel for me, it's creating some unpleasant artifacting on signals that are already pretty clean.
post #14092 of 19274 Old 03-24-2018, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by al210 View Post
I agree that some people don’t like pro calibration settings. I don’t mind if some like picture enhancements turned on. To each his own. If you like how the picture looks then all is good. But your really crushing a ton of black details not just a little bit with your black adjust settings. Picture enhancement settings or not that’s just too much loss of shadow detail IMO.
I agree. theres a little bit too much "pop" for me. The saturation is too much for me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Updating via USB can be iffy at times. With my old Samsung LCD, I totally turned off updates early on within the first year of ownership. Samsung updates were affecting picture quality.

I believe (hope) that the Sony updates won’t mess with the picture settings. The update was pushed to my 49” 900E already but not my 75”. At some point, you have to trust the manufacturer to provide a worry free, update process and the benefits of the update(s). Often times, the explanations can be real kludgy on the benefits.
Software/firmware updates are always unpredictable on individual hardware. I always backup the device if I can. Unfortunately that's not possible here. All of my updates have bones smoothly except for one last fall, which reset all of my picture settings to the default. I have no idea why, as it didn't seem to affect anyone reporting here that way.
post #14093 of 19274 Old 03-24-2018, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Can anyone recommend HDMI cables I should be using for the best quality with this TV without breaking the bank? The guy at best buy was trying to sell me cables for $99 each (think they were called "chocolate" but that seems way too expensive). Thanks!
post #14094 of 19274 Old 03-24-2018, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I picked up some premium certified monoprice HDMI cables for about $6 on Amazon, saw them referenced a lot when I was searching for the similar question. I only run them about 6”, not sure about long runs

Peter L.
post #14095 of 19274 Old 03-24-2018, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitching101 View Post
Can anyone recommend HDMI cables I should be using for the best quality with this TV without breaking the bank? The guy at best buy was trying to sell me cables for $99 each (think they were called "chocolate" but that seems way too expensive). Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiba5 View Post
I picked up some premium certified monoprice HDMI cables for about $6 on Amazon, saw them referenced a lot when I was searching for the similar question. I only run them about 6”, not sure about long runs
I also purchased from Mono price: Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, 4K @ 60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YUV 4:4:4, 6ft, White
post #14096 of 19274 Old 03-24-2018, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks guys, wish I waited another minute or two before pulling the trigger on these. These should be solid right? Tried to get similar specs to what Toshiba recommended

4K HDMI Cable 10 FT - Atevon High Speed 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 Cable - HDCP 2.2 - 4K HDR, 3D, UHD 2160P, HD 1080P, Ethernet - 28AWG Braided HDMI Cord - Audio Return for TV, Display, PC, Xbox, PS4/3, Apple TV

Would post link but don't have enough posts
post #14097 of 19274 Old 03-24-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Sorry, re-read it and still don't know if this is meant for everything, or primarily cable. I see now you say Time Warner, which is now Spectrum.
Yeah Spectrum. Up till a few months ago my statements still said Time Warner, and TWC is an old habit. I watch a mix of OTA and Cable TV on my Tivo Premiere, and on my Roamio Pro it's just cable. I also have a TWC DVR. I'm lucky that i get a really good signal on my small TWC/Spectrum network - it's definitely cleaner than at my MIL's house in WLA and my friends's houses in OC. Mine is almost OTA quality (Cable channel File sizes on my Tivo are very close to the same OTA channel).

Quote:
That said based on what these setting do for my poor quality local SD OTA stations, I'm assuming you use different settings for Blu-Ray, and Netflix? They look good, but there's some heavy processing going on. Just comparing my previous settings and yours on CBS golf, which is an excellent OTA channel for me, it's creating some unpleasant artifacting on signals that are already pretty clean.
Actually for the time being at least i'm just using those settings for everything. I route all my source devices through my Onkyo AVR then run a single HDMI cable to the TV.

On my ST60 and W600B i did split the HDMI run to two different inputs on the TV and had one optimized for TV, and the other input was optimized for Blu-Ray using a different picture mode. I'll probably do that later on this new TV when i get more time, maybe using Cinema Pro for Blu-Ray. And i'll have to reprogram my URC Remote to make it all work seemlessly.

But i do think these settings are a good starting point, but they should be tweaked to suit an individual's particular taste or source quality.

Randy
post #14098 of 19274 Old 03-24-2018, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
Update has not gone as smooth as i would have hoped and i should have resisted just as suggested above.

first, i installed using the USB method and instructions. first, i was a worried: i did the update by USB and it finished but never powered the TV up again. after 40 minutes, i gave the TV a discrete Power On command (since there is a warning to not power off during the the update process), and it came up fine.

anyone else encounter this? the instructions seem to suggest that it should power up and tell you the update is done (which i was only able to accomplish by powering up the TV myself.

i also just encountered another oddity. it seemed that the TV started randomly changing input even though i didn't try to change input with the remote nor my universal remote. sort of freaky.

i just rebooted the TV again and it stayed on my input i wanted for a while but then it just magically flipped inputs again. very strange and frustrating. anyone else seeing this? i have brava sync control off.
I updated mine like you did and it shut down and took awhile to power back up but it did. I then unplugged it so it could do a full Android reboot and all is well. I've also done many bios updates to my PC's and peripherals and have had good luck so far...
I didn't see any big improvement or any at all so in the end I don't see the need.

Ursa
post #14099 of 19274 Old 03-24-2018, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Does anyone have a pro calibration setting for the 900e 55''?

Also do you REALLY need to re-do these settings to each individual HDMI input? if so that is the dumbest thing i have ever seen.

On my old plasma 1 setup = all.

thanks guys!
post #14100 of 19274 Old 03-25-2018, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by omston View Post
I don't know if its a coincidence but my receiver was working fine for a few days and i hooked it up the way your describing and i also lost all audio that receivers toast now.
This receiver is only a month old.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page