2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 477 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40382Likes

post #14281 of 19200 Old 03-29-2018, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by wessieball View Post
Hey everybody. Fairly new to the forum. I've had the X900E for about a month now and it's been great. The only issues I've noticed are vertical banding in certain content. I've been scouring the web about issues of banding, DSE, etc.

I've finally just decided to post a video here to gather anybody's opinions on if my TV has an "acceptable" amount of vertical banding. The banding isn't present in any content unless you're viewing a dark gray scene with a few highlights. The worst is playing a game like Project Cars 2 with heavy fog at night.

I've included a video of Okja (on Netflix). This scene does a good job of representing the severity of it. It might be a bit amplified in the video but it's close. As the camera pans you'll see it in the middle-right of the screen (sorry about the reflection...not much banding on that side anyway). Any thoughts? My main concern is getting it replaced with a potentially worse panel.

I realize all panels will have it to some degree if you look hard enough...the problem is I tend to look hard enough.

I dont see any banding on thay clip. I actually purchased this tv about 3 weeks ago and noticed a verticle band right down the middle of the screen while watching justice league 4k. Best buy is bringing me another tv on tuesday. Best advice I can give you, if you are not happy with your tv and feel there is a issue return it and get another one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14282 of 19200 Old 03-29-2018, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 8
HELP!!

I played s short video on YouTube and now when watching TV I keep getting "YouTube has stopped" Closing the app has no affect and I already tried a force quit. What else can I do
post #14283 of 19200 Old 03-29-2018, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For the 900e do you need to wait 100 hrs to calibrate the set? also do you guys use a HDMI splitter / HUB to maximize port 2-3 which are full 4k HDR highest settings @ 60hz if so what brand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14284 of 19200 Old 03-29-2018, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
I'm not seeing any banding issues?

Are you maybe talking about the auto-dimming blooming, because I do see that ...
No. It does have some inherent blooming but that's amplified in the video my iPhone took. I'm talking about the vertical bands on the mid-right side of the screen. It's most obvious right before it pans past the woman's head.
post #14285 of 19200 Old 03-29-2018, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraweiss View Post
a five year old 46" Samsung 1080P set that in turn will replace a 13 year old 32" 720P Hitachi in my work out room. The Samsung weighs about 30 pounds, the Hitachi LCD weighs 86. Glad I'm not the one carrying it out for recycling!!!

Just make it part of your workout. ; )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14286 of 19200 Old 03-29-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
I'm not seeing any banding issues?

Are you maybe talking about the auto-dimming blooming, because I do see that ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan456 View Post
I dont see any banding on thay clip. I actually purchased this tv about 3 weeks ago and noticed a verticle band right down the middle of the screen while watching justice league 4k. Best buy is bringing me another tv on tuesday. Best advice I can give you, if you are not happy with your tv and feel there is a issue return it and get another one.
It's most noticeable right before it pans to the woman (you can see it near her head).

The TV is great and near perfect otherwise. It's just a few low-light scenes I've noticed it on. I'm outside the return window so it would be dealing directly with Sony unfortunately...but also there's the issue of getting a TV that's the same or worse in return.
post #14287 of 19200 Old 03-30-2018, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Far Cry 5 looks bananas on this set
I just got FC5, but this would require me to move my PC into the living room... If I decide to do this, are you using a preset, like 'gaming' or do you have custom video settings on the television already?
post #14288 of 19200 Old 03-30-2018, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1696 Post(s)
Liked: 4922
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankhill11 View Post
I just got FC5, but this would require me to move my PC into the living room... If I decide to do this, are you using a preset, like 'gaming' or do you have custom video settings on the television already?
D-Nice calibrated my set, but I'm using the following settings for game mode
RUBEN PORTILLO likes this.
post #14289 of 19200 Old 03-30-2018, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Just got my 75x900e yesterday. Out of the box first impressions are good. Directv looks the same if not better than my 2015 Vizio e65. Playing with motion settings to find a happy medium. Slowly playing with settings but will do rough calibration over the weekend. Native 4K content looks great as does the one HDR episode of altered carbon I watched. Have a PS4 Pro but haven’t played anything on it yet.

Haven’t seen any major blooming nor any light strips yet that some have seen. So far looks good. Corners are only slightly darker. Overall pretty happy with it and looks decent enough to watch out of the box. Installed some bias lighting behind the set for nighttime HDR viewing. On my old set I had the gamma at 2.2 instead of 2.4 but I can’t remember why I changed the gamma. What are the pros and cons of changing the gamma?
Ricoflashback likes this.
post #14290 of 19200 Old 03-30-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
It's most noticeable right before it pans to the woman (you can see it near her head).

The TV is great and near perfect otherwise. It's just a few low-light scenes I've noticed it on. I'm outside the return window so it would be dealing directly with Sony unfortunately...but also there's the issue of getting a TV that's the same or worse in return.
I definitely agree with you that there is always is a possibility of getting a tv that is worse. I personally really have no choice because the band is right down the middle of the tv and very noticeable on 15 % gray background.
post #14291 of 19200 Old 03-30-2018, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked: 6685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastien Lemay View Post
For the 900e do you need to wait 100 hrs to calibrate the set?
The LED panels do not age so it does not matter, I personally would wait about 200 hours though, why not right?
post #14292 of 19200 Old 03-30-2018, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I’m kind of new here so I hope this posts right. I have this tv for about 3 months now and I love it. Having said that, I got up the other day and turned it on only to be met with a screen full of 3” wide alternating white and green horizontal stripes. This was every mode. I was able to have them go away by unplugging the set and plugging it back in. My question is - is this normal ? In other words, is something broken ? I contacted Sony and they were no help. Neither did they understand the issue nor did they say anything to ease my fears other than give me a case number for “ if this happens again “. Fortunately I’m under warranty so worst case, it can be fixed/replaced. Thanks for any help or advice.
post #14293 of 19200 Old 03-30-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I definitely agree with you that there is always is a possibility of getting a tv that is worse. I personally really have no choice because the band is right down the middle of the tv and very noticeable on 15 % gray background.
For me it's a tough call. I've run all different shades of gray test screens and it looks super clean. At first I thought this was the cleanest screen I've had. You only see the banding on gray content if things are panning and especially if you have pops of light mixed in.
post #14294 of 19200 Old 03-30-2018, 08:16 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsnov73 View Post
I had the same RX-V673 receiver and recently upgraded to a Denon X2400H. I connect everything through my receiver and then connect via ARC to the TV.

The reason I upgraded was the V673 will not pass HDR, from what I understand. For this reason, you will want to connect your X700 directly to the TV through either HDMI 2 or 3, as those are the full speed inputs I think. I’m still not sure how this will affect the audio out of the tv back to the receiver.
Thanks for the info. guys. Much appreciated!
post #14295 of 19200 Old 03-30-2018, 08:17 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Neuwirth View Post
There is always more than one way to hookup your system...my personal hookup is to let the receiver do all the work. That means I plug in everything I can into it. Then one 4k hdmi certified cable back to the tv. You will need a 4k certified cable on the bluray player (out) and if you have it going into your receiver then another one back to the tv 4k hdmi input—two of the tv inputs are 4k ready the other 2 aren’t. I use a harmony smart remote to take care of all the switching. It’s been awhile since I made my connections...but you may need to setup the bluray/receiver (one or both)to let it know you are playing back a 4k disc. Sorry just can’t remember since I have atmos on my Yamaha receiver and that may be the reason I had to change a setting on the receiver.

I changed out my tv,receiver,bluray player,added atmos speakers at the same time and since every piece was new for me it makes things harder — so hang in there!
Thank you!
post #14296 of 19200 Old 03-30-2018, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Turning off Bravia Sync/ARC

so, i plead ignorance, but i'm confused with how Bravia Sync and ARC work. from what i would have understood, i have them all turned off, yet i don't believe they are behaving as i would think they should with everything turned off.

my setup/configuration for the 900e:
Apple TV 4k -> HDMI2
Emotiva Processor (fed by Oppo BR player) --> HDMI3
Tivo Roamio -> HDMI4

Also, Optical output of TV goes back to the Emotiva (so i can get 5.1 sound for Tivo and ATV programming through our Audio system)

here's what i'm surprised by:

1. if i tell the Apple TV to sleep now, EVERYTHING shuts itself off (the Emotiva, the TV, and the apple TV)

2. my Apple TV refuses to sleep unless i force it to do it. somehow, even with the TV powered off (and Emotiva and Oppo off too), the ATV never sleeps regardless of whether i set the sleep to 15min, 30 min, 1 hr.

i am guessing that somehow, in spite of my best efforts, ARC/Bravia Sync is now fully off.

can anyone help out here? i would love to disable all of these things because i think they are the root of many problems i am having with the setup including the ATV getting into a weird state of not knowing whether to connect itself to the TV or not (seems common for Sony TVs and ATVs) and also behavior of the TV switching to HDMI3 when i reboot the ATV4k (i would love for it to stay on the source selected even if nothing is there)

Life seemed so much simpler with my Dumb TV Bravia (circa 2008) where i had none of these sorts of issues and my carefully crafted Macros on my URC MX-500 "just worked."

Last edited by Derek87; 03-30-2018 at 09:12 AM.
post #14297 of 19200 Old 03-30-2018, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilan View Post
Just make it part of your workout. ; )

I've had two hernia surgeries already and do not want a third (woke up in the middle of the second surgery - not fun!).
post #14298 of 19200 Old 03-30-2018, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraweiss View Post
I've had two hernia surgeries already and do not want a third (woke up in the middle of the second surgery - not fun!).

Yikes!!

post #14299 of 19200 Old 03-30-2018, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiD View Post
HELP!!

I played s short video on YouTube and now when watching TV I keep getting "YouTube has stopped" Closing the app has no affect and I already tried a force quit. What else can I do
Mine went away by itself after an evening. I haven't even used the built-in app for weeks. But I did read this advice to my query. Go into settings/Apps and disable YouTube. Then re-enable it. If that doesn't solve your problem, you might just do what I did -- disable it for good. I don't use the built-in apps so this was preferable to a box constantly popping up in my screen. I'm not sure the YouTube App can be uninstalled anymore, so you might be looking at a factory reset if this doesn't so,be your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
The LED panels do not age so it does not matter, I personally would wait about 200 hours though, why not right?
If it doesn't age, then how do you explain the burn-in suffered by another forum member who posted pics of it, after leaving his game console on for 24 hours at a time? LED panels aren't supposed to suffer burn-in either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheifert1 View Post
I’m kind of new here so I hope this posts right. I have this tv for about 3 months now and I love it. Having said that, I got up the other day and turned it on only to be met with a screen full of 3” wide alternating white and green horizontal stripes. This was every mode. I was able to have them go away by unplugging the set and plugging it back in. My question is - is this normal ? In other words, is something broken ? I contacted Sony and they were no help. Neither did they understand the issue nor did they say anything to ease my fears other than give me a case number for “ if this happens again “. Fortunately I’m under warranty so worst case, it can be fixed/replaced. Thanks for any help or advice.
It's not normal. That said, I seem to recall seeing something like that at some point. I've seen a number of issues that have never repeated themselves. Turning on this TV is always an adventure. I'd say only 98% of the time over the last year the TV has turned on without some unexpected issue, requiring a reset of some sort. Just keep an eye on it. I'd actually give it a month, and even if it happens again, I'd wait to see if resolves itself after that. I can't tell you how many strange issues I've had linger for a few weeks, then never occur again.
post #14300 of 19200 Old 03-30-2018, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Was trying to update via usb and wouldn't work. Kodi was poping up after a reboot so i unistalled it and now its updating

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
post #14301 of 19200 Old 03-30-2018, 05:42 PM

Link to show Banding issue on my

tv A short clip from the movie justice league.

https://youtu.be/Ie4dM6UXSCc
post #14302 of 19200 Old 03-30-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Link to show Banding issue on my

tv A short clip from the movie justice league.

https://youtu.be/Ie4dM6UXSCc
Yeah, I can see it a bit in your clip. I don't get it in "normal" content (anything with some contrast and light) which is most content. I don't see it in sports (panning shots) either. It's just whenever you have low light scenes and some pops of light.

Whisper Status 74 on Youtube had a post about banding on his X900E. I don't really see it in his clip but he thinks a certain amount is acceptable. The problem is what one person sees, another can't:

post #14303 of 19200 Old 03-30-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I can see it a bit in your clip. I don't get it in "normal" content (anything with some contrast and light) which is most content. I don't see it in sports (panning shots) either. It's just whenever you have low light scenes and some pops of light.

Whisper Status 74 on Youtube had a post about banding on his X900E. I don't really see it in his clip but he thinks a certain amount is acceptable. The problem is what one person sees, another can't:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5K5C-6BK-g&t=2s
Yeah, I am hoping I don't wind up getting a tv that has even more banding come tuesday. Such a risk returning because you may get a tv that has more banding then the one you are returning.
post #14304 of 19200 Old 03-31-2018, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Youtube HDR now is working!!

SmartYouTubeTV CAN play HDR youtube on Sony TV's and its a modified official application.

1.download SmartYouTubeTV from here: github.com/yuliskov/SmartYouTubeTV
2.install on your tv
3. on the loader screen choose "4k Alt version" and check "update","autoframerate" and "remember"

launch the new youtube and enjoy! (tested succesfully on 55XE9005)
jvilla likes this.
post #14305 of 19200 Old 03-31-2018, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 297
post #14306 of 19200 Old 03-31-2018, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie78 View Post
Will this TV get Dolby Vision update?
No.
post #14307 of 19200 Old 03-31-2018, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
New firmware update

Anyone know what was in this latest update ?
post #14308 of 19200 Old 03-31-2018, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Can’t seem to get my TV to update, Oct is the last time it updated when I bought it

Sony XBR65X900E, Oppo UDP-203 Universal Player
Front L&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds & Rears - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Marantz SR6012
post #14309 of 19200 Old 03-31-2018, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6689 Post(s)
Liked: 6685
Quote:
If it doesn't age, then how do you explain the burn-in suffered by another forum member who posted pics of it, after leaving his game console on for 24 hours at a time? LED panels aren't supposed to suffer burn-in either.
There are always exceptions to the rule, as I noted I would wait 200 hours
post #14310 of 19200 Old 03-31-2018, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
For watching 4k movies from Movies Anywhere, is Amazon Prime the best native app to use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page