2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 478 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40381Likes

post #14311 of 19189 Old 03-31-2018, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodom76 View Post
For watching 4k movies from Movies Anywhere, is Amazon Prime the best native app to use?
Yes. I think it's the only native app that has 4K HDR at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14312 of 19189 Old 03-31-2018, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
And Netflix too

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #14313 of 19189 Old 03-31-2018, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyjoebob007 View Post
Anyone know what was in this latest update ?
This is what i was hoping for, the hdr gaming fix:

This software update (version PKG6.2858.0082NAA) provides the following benefits:

Improves general performance of the TV
Resolves a condition where the TV goes to 8X red LED blinking when starting to play games (HDR content) from the PS4™ Pro gaming console (XBR49X900E, XBR55X900E, XBR65X850E, XBR65X900E, XBR75X850E, XBR75X900E)
Improves performance for Amazon Prime® video playback
Resolves a condition where a short beeping sound is heard when changing channels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14314 of 19189 Old 03-31-2018, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Perhaps just a fluke but I had installed the January update via USB, and just installed the 3/20 update via USB. TV loaded and installed the update and rebooted and told me to remove the USB device. After removing USB and pressing OK I was greeted to blinking/flashing white screen. Only choice was a hard reboot by removing power, after power up it was back to the flashing and blinking screen. Only choice was a hard factory reset(pressing and holding power and vol down while plugging in TV). I had the January update installed, and I had also ran the debloat script from earlier in thread from XDA forum, also Kodi was installed since a few posts back someone said it affected the update from happening at all. I'm thinking some of the disabled/debloated apps were the root cause, or maybe just a fluke. Just sharing that if you had a similar setup that it is a possibility. Pain in the a$$ to set everything back up.
post #14315 of 19189 Old 04-01-2018, 03:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aicjofs View Post
Perhaps just a fluke but I had installed the January update via USB, and just installed the 3/20 update via USB. TV loaded and installed the update and rebooted and told me to remove the USB device. After removing USB and pressing OK I was greeted to blinking/flashing white screen. Only choice was a hard reboot by removing power, after power up it was back to the flashing and blinking screen. Only choice was a hard factory reset(pressing and holding power and vol down while plugging in TV). I had the January update installed, and I had also ran the debloat script from earlier in thread from XDA forum, also Kodi was installed since a few posts back someone said it affected the update from happening at all. I'm thinking some of the disabled/debloated apps were the root cause, or maybe just a fluke. Just sharing that if you had a similar setup that it is a possibility. Pain in the a$$ to set everything back up.
Exact same thing happened here. I think the debloat was the culprit, too.
post #14316 of 19189 Old 04-01-2018, 05:49 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Same exact thing happened to me, and I also ran the debloat script.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
post #14317 of 19189 Old 04-01-2018, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
There are always exceptions to the rule, as I noted I would wait 200 hours
I thought the reason to run panel prep slides, or, "aging the panel" was to ensure that the pixels progress at the same rate, which in turn allow your settings to stick. In other words, aging the panel had nothing to do with preventing burn in.

I really wish I had back up on this, but it was years ago when I was on the Panny ST50, and D-Nice had his thread on HiDefJunkies.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #14318 of 19189 Old 04-01-2018, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just got my XBR65X900E. Beautiful 4K Picture!!!

Quick question...

My setup run run through a Denon AVR-S720W All HDMI inputs go through that the exit from the receiver via HDMI ARC to the Sony's HDMI ARC in. My question is... HOw do I know that the Sony is upscaling to 4K. For exampe when I look at Fox New for example and press the display button on the Sony remote, it shows 1080p. Should it say that or 4k if it's being upscaled? Is there a setting on the TV that I need to adjust or is the setting on the receiver? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
DesiD likes this.
post #14319 of 19189 Old 04-01-2018, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 154
2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptwyzard View Post

Quick question...

My setup run run through a Denon AVR-S720W All HDMI inputs go through that the exit from the receiver via HDMI ARC to the Sony's HDMI ARC in. My question is... HOw do I know that the Sony is upscaling to 4K. For exampe when I look at Fox New for example and press the display button on the Sony remote, it shows 1080p. Should it say that or 4k if it's being upscaled? Is there a setting on the TV that I need to adjust or is the setting on the receiver? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The Sony’s native resolution is 4K so it upscales everything to that. How good that looks on the TV depends on the source resolution (720p, 1080i, 1080p) as well as a few other factors (signal compression etc).

If you’re running through your receiver it may have an upscaler in play as well. I let the Sony do the work.

I can’t remember if the display button shows the source resolution or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR-65X900E / Sony STRDN1080 / Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 Series / Vizio P55-C1 / Vizio SB4031-D5 / DirecTV Genie (non-4K) / Apple TV 4 / Apple TV 4K / Roku Premiere+

Last edited by Furyus; 04-01-2018 at 07:40 AM.
post #14320 of 19189 Old 04-01-2018, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:

Quick question...

Thanks.
Everything you see on the screen is upscaled out of necessity since it's a native 4K panel with that many pixels - if it wasn't upscaled you would see a much smaller picture with a bunch of black area on the screen.

The display button shows the resolution of the source content, meaning that depending on what you watch you could see anything from 480 (standard definition) to 2160 (4K). You do not need to adjust your receiver to accommodate 4K passthrough.
post #14321 of 19189 Old 04-01-2018, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6672 Post(s)
Liked: 6670
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhand1 View Post
I thought the reason to run panel prep slides, or, "aging the panel" was to ensure that the pixels progress at the same rate, which in turn allow your settings to stick. In other words, aging the panel had nothing to do with preventing burn in. I really wish I had back up on this, but it was years ago when I was on the Panny ST50, and D-Nice had his thread on HiDefJunkies.
That was a plasma TV, these are not, that is the difference. I personally never broke in any TV I bought, I just use them.... As I noted, I would not calibrate a new TV, I would wait a bit, whats the rush, not to mention you could appreciate what a calibration would do for you as you have used it before and after calibration.....
post #14322 of 19189 Old 04-01-2018, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
google assistant available only sony tv usa model?
i m receive latest sw update but didn't find google assistant features..
post #14323 of 19189 Old 04-01-2018, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodom76 -- For watching 4k movies from Movies Anywhere, is Amazon Prime the best native app to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Williams View Post
And Netflix too

That was in reference to @bodom76 question about built-in apps that support Movies Anywhere. The built-in Netflix app does offer 4K support, but it does not offer MA access.

Quote:
And this is why I won't mess with the Android TV OS on this TV. What a mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
Everything you see on the screen is upscaled out of necessity since it's a native 4K panel with that many pixels - if it wasn't upscaled you would see a much smaller picture with a bunch of black area on the screen.

The display button shows the resolution of the source content, meaning that depending on what you watch you could see anything from 480 (standard definition) to 2160 (4K). You do not need to adjust your receiver to accommodate 4K passthrough.
Obviously the receiver is passing through the native signal, which is a good thing. Otherwise the Display button would report everything at 4K, which in most cases is not desirable.

Last edited by Mac128; 04-01-2018 at 12:32 PM.
post #14324 of 19189 Old 04-01-2018, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 617
I'm glad my TV doesn't seem to want to update, if it ain't broke don't fix it I guess is the phrase.

Would like to know why the TV says its up to date though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65X900E, Oppo UDP-203 Universal Player
Front L&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds & Rears - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Marantz SR6012
post #14325 of 19189 Old 04-01-2018, 03:04 PM

Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airsculpture View Post
I'm glad my TV doesn't seem to want to update, if it ain't broke don't fix it I guess is the phrase.

Would like to know why the TV says its up to date though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It will show the update whenSony pushes it out. Don't know why some would force it, i always wait and then wait some more to be sure it's ok
Furyus likes this.
post #14326 of 19189 Old 04-01-2018, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 117
2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk)

Well, I just helped my parents tweak their new 75” 900e this weekend. They had it on the standard pic setting which is how BB left it after installing it. I actually did minimal adjustments to it and the picture looked really good. On the standard preset...I turned down the brightness to 20, set contrast at 92, turned color down to 52, turned off cine motion, turned off dynamic contrast and left everything else alone. I actually like the pic quality so much that I’m resetting my 65” at home to the same settings. I’ve had my set since early last year and had been running the set with most of the adjustment settings turned off and the above settings with expert one for the tone setting. Well, I’m now thinking that the factory presets may be better left mostly alone aside from what I mentioned above. The colors just seem so much better than what I had been running. Anyone else had the same experience? I do realize cinema pro is the most accurate preset but the standard preset looks excellent to me for cable and also blue rays via my oppo 203. Thoughts?

EDIT: Just reset my cinema pro settings as well. Turned off cine motion and turned down brightness a bit. Looks really similar to the settings I mentioned above so to me it’s really good as well.

Last edited by tidwelr1; 04-01-2018 at 04:48 PM.
post #14327 of 19189 Old 04-01-2018, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Just curious what everybody thinks on this forum if the banding issue on my 5v is bad enough to get a replacement set or am I being to picky. Bestbuy is coming out to replace it on tuesday just afraid I might het a set that is worse. I only see the banding in gray backgrounds like the one in this clip.

https://youtu.be/Ie4dM6UXSCc
post #14328 of 19189 Old 04-01-2018, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Been debating on getting the 75inch 900E or waiting until later this year when the 75inch 900f is the same price. Thoughts?
post #14329 of 19189 Old 04-01-2018, 10:47 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by piermark View Post
Youtube HDR now is working!!

SmartYouTubeTV CAN play HDR youtube on Sony TV's and its a modified official application.

1.download SmartYouTubeTV from here: github.com/yuliskov/SmartYouTubeTV
2.install on your tv
3. on the loader screen choose "4k Alt version" and check "update","autoframerate" and "remember"

launch the new youtube and enjoy! (tested succesfully on 55XE9005)

thanks this works in 75 xbr900e but i had to select the legacy 4k version instead of alt.
post #14330 of 19189 Old 04-02-2018, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:

Quick question...

Thanks.
If Fox News is showing as 1080p either your STB or AVR is upscaling.
Fox News should be showing as 720p.
Myself, I prefer everything as native and let the 900e handle any scaling.
meburdick likes this.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #14331 of 19189 Old 04-02-2018, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Larkins View Post
Been debating on getting the 75inch 900E or waiting until later this year when the 75inch 900f is the same price. Thoughts?
If you are interested enough in Dolby vision i would get the 900f otherwise you can't really go wrong with the 900e. I've been extremely happy with mine.

post #14332 of 19189 Old 04-02-2018, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfly75 View Post
I can see it at slomotion, but barely at full speed.
Maybe like you said not the best example.
But believe me. When I'm watching sports it's way more obvious.
No matter if it's football or darts.....this is extremely annoying.
Every 1-2 minutes there is this frame backskip after certain shot changes.

The only solution for me is game mode. Motion is flawless as it should be in all the other picture modes.

The german sony community manager said that sony japan is investigating this issue.
No idea wheter they actually take the problem seriously or not, but fingers crossed.

Are people still seeing this "issue?" I keep hoping that with each new software update this gets addressed but it does not.

I live with it, but I tell you, it is getting more aggravating each time that I watch live sports. Game/Graphics mode does not work in resolving the issues as some people have claimed works for them. These modes are too dark for me anyway so I wouldn't like this workaround if it was plausible.

Also, the audio continues to be slightly out of sync at times, but it appears to be getting better. Sometimes the broadcast appears right on, other times it is slight.
It's this frame skip, or judder, or whatever it is that is really getting on my nerves increasingly. I hope that there is a fix coming. I suppose that I should at least be another individual that contacts Sony to complain about it but I'm not sure how to describe it to them so they'll understand.

Kev
post #14333 of 19189 Old 04-02-2018, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by piermark View Post
Youtube HDR now is working!!

SmartYouTubeTV CAN play HDR youtube on Sony TV's and its a modified official application.

1.download SmartYouTubeTV from here: github.com/yuliskov/SmartYouTubeTV
2.install on your tv
3. on the loader screen choose "4k Alt version" and check "update","autoframerate" and "remember"

launch the new youtube and enjoy! (tested succesfully on 55XE9005)
Where is the option to download located in the TV menus, I've looked...I'm LOST?
mgh26 likes this.
post #14334 of 19189 Old 04-02-2018, 06:14 AM

Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwelr1 View Post
Well, I just helped my parents tweak their new 75” 900e this weekend. They had it on the standard pic setting which is how BB left it after installing it. I actually did minimal adjustments to it and the picture looked really good. On the standard preset...I turned down the brightness to 20, set contrast at 92, turned color down to 52, turned off cine motion, turned off dynamic contrast and left everything else alone. I actually like the pic quality so much that I’m resetting my 65” at home to the same settings. I’ve had my set since early last year and had been running the set with most of the adjustment settings turned off and the above settings with expert one for the tone setting. Well, I’m now thinking that the factory presets may be better left mostly alone aside from what I mentioned above. The colors just seem so much better than what I had been running. Anyone else had the same experience? I do realize cinema pro is the most accurate preset but the standard preset looks excellent to me for cable and also blue rays via my oppo 203. Thoughts?

EDIT: Just reset my cinema pro settings as well. Turned off cine motion and turned down brightness a bit. Looks really similar to the settings I mentioned above so to me it’s really good as well.

Pretty much the same settings i use for every day use except i have the brightness down a hair more and i do have the motion settings turned on. I tried cinema pro but the picture lacked pop to me. I'm using the custom setting for BR and netflix streaming on my Roku.
post #14335 of 19189 Old 04-02-2018, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 81
ARC and sync issues happened again yesterday. I have no idea what's going on here. I've had zero issues since I've had this TV last June and nothing has changed and all of a sudden twice in the last few days, the TV no longer syncs with my AVR and plays sound through TV speakers. I re-enable the sync settings again and 20 minutes later it's back to working.
post #14336 of 19189 Old 04-02-2018, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've had ARC audio sync issues ever since I bought the TV with my Sony 1080DN receiver. It's only on OTA channels & other TV HDMI inputs though. Anything I plug into the receiver or the internal apps don't have sync issues.

I opened a ticket with Sony a while back & they said it would be fixed in a future firmware update. Either that wasn't the truth or they didn't get it in on this firmware update.
post #14337 of 19189 Old 04-02-2018, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
Pretty much the same settings i use for every day use except i have the brightness down a hair more and i do have the motion settings turned on. I tried cinema pro but the picture lacked pop to me. I'm using the custom setting for BR and netflix streaming on my Roku.

That’s exactly what I was thinking in terms of lack of pop with cinema pro. I also found custom to be good for streaming as well. I could only write so much in my initial post. I turn dynamic contrast on low or med for hdr viewing as well. Watched the movie zootopia blueray again with the kids last night on standard. It looked fantastic.

post #14338 of 19189 Old 04-02-2018, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 27
My apologies if this question has been answered earlier in this thread. Can someone please explain what ARC means, and it's significance?

Thank You!
post #14339 of 19189 Old 04-02-2018, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislax19 View Post
My apologies if this question has been answered earlier in this thread. Can someone please explain what ARC means, and it's significance?

Thank You!

Simply , it’s when the TV audio is routed back through the receiver along the same HDMI which feeds it a signal , as far as I am aware

chrislax19 likes this.

Sony XBR65X900E, Oppo UDP-203 Universal Player
Front L&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds & Rears - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Marantz SR6012
post #14340 of 19189 Old 04-02-2018, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I thought I'd give a general update, as I've had my 49x900e for a couple of weeks now.

So far, I love, love the set. I really couldn't be happier with its performance to this point. It fit right in where I had hoped from a dimensions standpoint, and I didn't need to do any extra work other than remove the old TV from the mount and put the 900e in its place. (Thank you VESA for that.) It works great with my Sony CT390 sound bar, which for some reason didn't seem to perform as well with the older TV, but does really well now. I also didn't realize I'd get 5 free 4k movies with the set via Google play, but that was a nice bonus. It was a limited selection, but I was overall happy with what I got. (Spiderman Homecoming, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Baby Driver, Ghostbusters [2017], and Jumanji [the older one.] I actually realized I don't think I EVER saw all of Close Encounters - what a great movie!)

I also went ahead and got my Harmony Smart Hub and remote set up that I had bought in anticipation of getting a new TV. Now my Cable Box, FireTV and other stuff are all tucked away and the remote does everything I'd want. (I had an older Harmony 650, but this remote is MUCH better with its BT and non-ir reliant capabilities.)

As far as what I've watched 4k wise thus far, I really love Planet Earth II on Netflix. It's one of the best things I've found that really showcases the new format. Spiderman looked great in 4k, as did my The Force Awakens BluRay even though that was only upscaled. I do have a few 4k discs, and have an Xbox One X on the way to take advantage of those. (Coco, The Last Jedi, The Martian.) I also hope to soon watch one of the Netflix shows that is in HDR, but I haven't gotten to that yet.

Thanks for all the help in this thread, I'm very happy I ended up here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page