2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 480 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40398Likes

post #14371 of 19279 Old 04-03-2018, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerdude View Post
What's the replacement for the Sony 65 inch X940 for 2018?.. . I really liked the pic on the X940 at BB but the price is too high.
There is no 65 940. They only come in 75. There is only the 900f for this year, the 930e and 940e are staying and may not be replaced
Soccerdude likes this.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14372 of 19279 Old 04-03-2018, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anyone experienced sound that's late? I'm using a vizio sb4551 sound bar. Its their high end one from 2016 or 2017. The sound comes is just a bit after the video. Using optical cable

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #14373 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 04:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Finally received my TV. Heavier than I thought. I have my 67" DLP on a 60" glass top stand. Not sure what the weight specs on it. Was planning on putting tv on it but now kinda of afraid. Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14374 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_tr View Post
Finally received my TV. Heavier than I thought. I have my 67" DLP on a 60" glass top stand. Not sure what the weight specs on it. Was planning on putting tv on it but now kinda of afraid. Any recommendations?
Not sure what you're looking for here - what size did you get, how much does it weigh (can you not look it up?), and how much weight is the stand rated for? I have a hard time thinking that a similarly-sized 900E would weight much more than a DLP, and I'm thinking the 65 would weigh much less.

The downside of the stand design on the 900E is that all the weight is in the middle and not distributed across two feet, so if it's just a glass shelf with no middle support and you got a larger one (particularly the 75") then your might need to consider a new stand or wall-mounting.
post #14375 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
Not sure what you're looking for here - what size did you get, how much does it weigh (can you not look it up?), and how much weight is the stand rated for? I have a hard time thinking that a similarly-sized 900E would weight much more than a DLP, and I'm thinking the 65 would weigh much less.

The downside of the stand design on the 900E is that all the weight is in the middle and not distributed across two feet, so if it's just a glass shelf with no middle support and you got a larger one (particularly the 75") then your might need to consider a new stand or wall-mounting.
I got the 75". It weighs 106 lbs and my dlp is 86. Wish I could wall mount but there is a window behind it. I remember reading an earlier post about someones hit the floor and breaking. I might just put a board on stand for now until I find one. Seen some stands that have a post on back of them to mount to but they say 70" max. Guess need to take some measurements and see if 75" will fit on them.
post #14376 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Kodi Users

Does anybody have this issue using Kodi app? Watching a movie when i click the "Action Menu" Button to bring up my picture settings it will exit the movie back to the Kodi menu. Is there another way to bring up picture settings while watching a movie?
post #14377 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_tr View Post
I got the 75". It weighs 106 lbs and my dlp is 86. Wish I could wall mount but there is a window behind it. I remember reading an earlier post about someones hit the floor and breaking. I might just put a board on stand for now until I find one. Seen some stands that have a post on back of them to mount to but they say 70" max. Guess need to take some measurements and see if 75" will fit on them.
According to Sony the 75" 900E weighs 77 lbs with the stand - you're looking at the shipping weight. That said, the point about the stand may still apply if your DLP's weight is distributed differently.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/tel...specifications
post #14378 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My 65-inch 900E prompted me to install the update this morning.

The previous update, which caused the sound issues, never got to my set...at least not that I know of.
post #14379 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
According to Sony the 75" 900E weighs 77 lbs with the stand - you're looking at the shipping weight. That said, the point about the stand may still apply if your DLP's weight is distributed differently.

Excellent point. All the weight is on a 12"x18" pedestal. I also have a glass top stand, no clue what the weight limit is, but it is fully braced front, sides and back, and the glass is thick. So there is no flex at all.

That all being said, I would bet he will be fine.
post #14380 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:

Thanks. Was looking at the shipping weight. Think stand will work ok but will be looking for one that has a mount on it. Looking forward to getting this monster set up. Going to need to check into how to calibrate. My disk I have is probably outdated.
KSpan likes this.
post #14381 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jge1 View Post
For me, just PBS, Vimeo, and TBS, I believe. I've limited background processes to 4 and disabled Samba.

The big problem that I had with Samba may have been "my fault" for allowing it to be enabled on my initial setup.

The problem I'm having now, that TBS will not run even though I've uninstalled and re-installed it, twice, and done a soft reset, is unconscionable. I literally do not know what else to do, short of a factory reset.

So my TV is working ok now; I'm not confident it will continue to do so. Also, I must re-iterate, I am more tech-savvy than the average user (decades of work as a computer hardware engineer). And I doubt seriously that I'm alone; just the fact that each of us is participating in these forums is indicative of that.

Instead I'm going to buy an Apple TV 4K. It's worth the $120 (NIB ones are going cheap on craigslist around here, evidently lots of people got free ones as part of some promotion, Direct TV I think). And - unless Apple has managed to screw it up since my ATV 2nd gen, entirely possible - the interface is way superior to my retired Roku and these TVs; the rewind and fast-forward buttons work EXACTLY the same way, regardless of what streaming service you're using - what a concept !
I have an Apple TV as well. It's a much more reliable interface than the built-in apps. Now when the internal apps crap out while I'm not using them, I just disable them. Now I don't have to worry about making picture adjustments while watching Amazon, and dealing with sluggish response, stuttering AV, and other annoying issues. I can also stream from my iPhone, and access my Mac. Much happier than trying to use the internal apps. Also, iTunes, along with Netflix, offers 1080p HDR, which further speeds up viewing content when I'm just browsing. One note to mention, the ATV only outputs fixed resolution. It will automatically match native framerate and chroma, but it will only output he fixed resolution you select. I default to 1080p allowing the ATV to upscale 720p sources, and the TV to upscale to 4K. Since it auto switches into HDR on most sources, I only switch to 4K if I'm watching a real 4K movie as an "event".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post

The previous update, which caused the sound issues, never got to my set...at least not that I know of.
Same here, last night when I got home. So far so good.
post #14382 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6789 Post(s)
Liked: 6792
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
There is no 65 940. They only come in 75. There is only the 900f for this year, the 930e and 940e are staying and may not be replaced
930E and 940E are still current, there is no announcement if there will or will not be new models of the 930E, 940E, Z9D. They could be a late year release.......its been done many times before in the past.
post #14383 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just got the update. I may be a bit hasty with this, but I was having consistent annoying motion issues that seem to have vanished. The motion issues were bad enough that my better half, who makes it a point of pride to not be able to tell the difference between av upgrades, admitted that something was off. It's like I have a new TV.
I WANT MORE likes this.
post #14384 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan456 View Post
Just curious what everybody thinks on this forum if the banding issue on my 5v is bad enough to get a replacement set or am I being to picky. Bestbuy is coming out to replace it on tuesday just afraid I might het a set that is worse. I only see the banding in gray backgrounds like the one in this clip.

https://youtu.be/Ie4dM6UXSCc
Hey, did you get a replacement unit? I checked your video again and actually it's not that bad (originally I viewed it on my phone). So my banding is more noticeable during HDR content. I really don't notice it at all in HD or SD content. My guess is that's because it's at max brightness so any flaw will be more visible. I more than likely will end up keeping the TV because it's not that terrible. Again, I'm just more concerned about getting a worse panel vs. dealing with a little banding in some content.
post #14385 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mart541 View Post
The motion issues were bad enough that my better half, who makes it a point of pride to not be able to tell the difference between av upgrades, admitted that something was off.
I have one of those LOL. It helps because then I know when something is a REAL issue or just me being picky.
post #14386 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
I have an Apple TV as well. ..... I can also ... access my Mac.
I'm going to go pick one up today - psyched !

How do you access your Mac ? One thing I forgot to mention that will also be nice: I just added a "headless" Mac Mini to my AV area, to use as a music (and maybe or media like photos) server. So far I can control it with my laptop (which is always next to my "command chair") using "Finder sidebar screen sharing", but it's a little hinky. Also, the wife can use iTunes remote on her iPad; but if anything gets weird, where one must interact with MacOS to get the thing right, then the laptop must be used. So I found this thing called "Remote Buddy", which along with "Remote Buddy Display" should allow control of the Mini from the ATV4K.

https://www.iospirit.com/products/remotebuddy/

Not only will it work better I hope, I like the idea of not having to mess with one of our "computing" devices in order to play music or view photos. I can't seem to find any user reporting on actual experience with this though (just breathless trade-rag articles), but the ATV end is free and the Mac end has a 30-day free trial.

Thanks for all the beta on how resolution settings work.

Last edited by jge1; 04-04-2018 at 10:49 AM.
post #14387 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hey everyone,

I will be shooting a YouTube video next week, walking you through...

How to calibrate a Sony 65 X900E.

I'll be using Calman software and a X-rite i1 Display Pro meter.

I'll also show you how to use test patterns with the Apple TV using the Mobile Forge app.

As well as using a Blu Ray disc with test patterns manually using the Xbox One X.

Each TV panel differs but you are welcome to try my settings in the video when it's released...

Look out for that video soon.

If you have any questions in the meantime, post them here...

Craig
post #14388 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

How do you access your Mac ? One thing I forgot to mention that will also be nice: I just added a "headless" Mac Mini to my AV area, to use as a music (and maybe or media like photos) server. So far I can control it with my laptop (which is always next to my "command chair") using "Finder sidebar screen sharing", but it's a little hinky. Also, the wife can use iTunes remote on her iPad; but if anything gets weird, where one must interact with MacOS to get the thing right, then the laptop must be used. So I found this thing called "Remote Buddy", which along with "Remote Buddy Display" should allow control of the Mini from the ATV4K.

Not only will it work better I hope, I like the idea of not having to mess with one of our "computing" devices in order to play music or view photos. I can't seem to find any user reporting on actual experience with this though (just breathless trade-rag articles), but the ATV end is free and the Mac end has a 30-day free trial.

i'd highly recommend pursuing the DTV Now deal which is $105 (3 months of $35 service), and if you use Ebates, it will drop the cost down to $89 ($16 ebate).

https://www.directvnow.com/appletv

it took me about 1 week to receive the Apple TV 4k from this deal.

that being said, while i like the Apple TV 4k for its interface and many other things, i, have had several niggling issues which have required me to reboot the ATV4k regularly. it never has had a problem when watching content, but there appears to be some odd interaction issues with the Sony 900e and it.

i'm still working through different tests to determine the fix, but the short story is it seems that the Apple TV sometimes won't go to sleep properly on its own so that when we don't watch for several hours and come back to using the TV and ATV4k, the setup is in a weird state where the screen flashes showing "no input signal" and the Apple TV . this is solved quickly by a reboot, but it's frustrating.
post #14389 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post

Me too and after the update my audio sounded like crap, like a crackling noise.
Thought maybe it was from the recorded show i was watching (Xfinity X1 DVR) so i shut everything down and rebooted tv and cable box. While the cable box was cycling through the reboot the tv prompted me about the update again. So i installed update again which took a good 10-15 minutes longer than the first time and so far no issues.
post #14390 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, I've been contemplating getting a Mac mini for this purpose as well. As it is now, I have to plug in an external SSD, so I'm constantly setting up that and Plex server, every time I take my MacBook anywhere (which is daily!).

The ATV accesses your Mac via the Computer App on the Home screen. It's designed to work with iTunes, so your media library needs to be set up through that. You basically enable HomeSharing on your Mac & ATV.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202190

You'll also need an iCloud account for file sharing access across Apple devices. For anything more than Apple's built-in apps, like streaming 4K HDR rips of BDs, you'll want a Plex server, or something similar. Again, all of this is accessible via your ATV remote, or an iPhone or iPad remote, without the need to have direct access to your Mac controls. That said, there's no browser on the ATV. So if you need that, you'll have to mirror from your Mac, iPad or iPhone. I must admit, when I need a browser, I'm still using Puffin on the 900E's built-in apps, downloaded from Google Play. Setup is a bit strange, but for websites that don't have apps for TV presentation, it's nice to have.
post #14391 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
i'd highly recommend pursuing the DTV Now deal which is $105 (3 months of $35 service), and if you use Ebates, it will drop the cost down to $89 ($16 ebate).

https://www.directvnow.com/appletv

it took me about 1 week to receive the Apple TV 4k from this deal.

that being said, while i like the Apple TV 4k for its interface and many other things, i, have had several niggling issues which have required me to reboot the ATV4k regularly. it never has had a problem when watching content, but there appears to be some odd interaction issues with the Sony 900e and it.

i'm still working through different tests to determine the fix, but the short story is it seems that the Apple TV sometimes won't go to sleep properly on its own so that when we don't watch for several hours and come back to using the TV and ATV4k, the setup is in a weird state where the screen flashes showing "no input signal" and the Apple TV . this is solved quickly by a reboot, but it's frustrating.
Yup the DTV deal is great, if you have a dish installed, or intend to keep it for a while.

Interesting you say that about the ATV. I also have had to reboot it almost every time I go to watch Netflix or Amazon as I receive a notice about my device not being HDCP compatible, or my HDMI cables not supporting it (which they do). So I get audio without picture. Rebooting the ATV solves the problem. In addition the CEC controls seem to drop off inexplicably such that the 900E no longer controls it, and vice versa. That also requires a reboot.

I have never had the problem you're describing though. I do fault Apple for most of these issues, though since the initial software release seems to have been half-baked in the first place. However, I must admit I don't fully understand the issues with respect to HDCP and CEC, so the Sony could just as well be at fault. I'm hoping the update I receive last night solves some of those issues. Either way, here's hoping Apple get's theirs all sorted out soon, along with adding support for Dolby Atmosphere as they've promised!
post #14392 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Yup the DTV deal is great, if you have a dish installed, or intend to keep it for a while.

Interesting you say that about the ATV. I also have had to reboot it almost every time I go to watch Netflix or Amazon as I receive a notice about my device not being HDCP compatible, or my HDMI cables not supporting it (which they do). So I get audio without picture. Rebooting the ATV solves the problem. In addition the CEC controls seem to drop off inexplicably such that the 900E no longer controls it, and vice versa. That also requires a reboot.

I have never had the problem you're describing though. I do fault Apple for most of these issues, though since the initial software release seems to have been half-baked in the first place. However, I must admit I don't fully understand the issues with respect to HDCP and CEC, so the Sony could just as well be at fault. I'm hoping the update I receive last night solves some of those issues. Either way, here's hoping Apple get's theirs all sorted out soon, along with adding support for Dolby Atmosphere as they've promised!
quick note: the DTV Now offer does not require a dish in any way. it's an online streaming service which you can cancel at any time (i have a calendar reminder at 3 months to cancel it before the start charging me for month 4), so it is painless. just create an account, pay $105 (and use your favorite "electronic rebate" company (i use ebate but there are other that may yield more than $16)), and then a week or so later, a Apple TV shows up on your doorstep. not bad at all.

Mac128: what is your exact setup for wiring/connection?

me:
AppleTV goes into HDMI 2 and optical out of TV goes into Emotiva Processor feeding 7.1 system.
i also have the Emotiva connected to HDMI3 which outputs my 1080p sources to the TV.
post #14393 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@logan456 I would definitely take that exchange...I have zero banding on my 75 inch and larger tvs are harder to get without. So i would not deal with that on a 55 for sure.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #14394 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 12:34 PM

Hi I just received my 49 inch x900e yesterday and I have a couple questions. First of all I've seen a lot of mention about a panel lottery. Is there any specific way to tell if you have a good panel?

And also the main reason I bought this TV was to watch movies and from what I read 120hz is good since it can play 24p movies. However I notice during long panning shots on any Blu-Ray I watch, I'm seeing very noticeable stuttering. This isn't just a case of me not used to 24p playback because I'm a huge movie watcher and I've never seen jaggedy movement like this during any panning in movies before. I tried putting on True Cinema and Cinemotion to high as I have seen recommended in many places, but it doesn't seem to help at all. Is there any way to fix this or does anyone know why this is? Any help would be much appreciated.
post #14395 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 33
hey fellas,

wondering if someone could help me out.

i have a new 65 900e coming thursday for my sister from cleavland plasma.

anyway, I will have limited time to set it up and power on that night so I was wondering if someone could just give me a fast and basic cheat sheet for basic settings to get her going.

any basic stuff that I could adjust right of the box. like for my F8500 you wanted warm picture, etc.

sources, fire TV, PS4 are the main ones

i would appraciate it.

thanks

64PNF8500 Plasma, Yamama RX-V1900, BIC Acoustech 5.1
post #14396 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

I'm running my ATV to my reciever, and then a single HDMI to the TV (HDMI3). I've had to restart my system at times because of audio, but I think that has more to do with HDMI passthrough. Whatever it is, simply doing a quick restart seems to fix everything. I'm still willing to live with it over using the native apps on the tv, I simply like the ATV remote and UI so much more.
post #14397 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by UndrinkableWater View Post
Hi I just received my 49 inch x900e yesterday and I have a couple questions. First of all I've seen a lot of mention about a panel lottery. Is there any specific way to tell if you have a good panel?

And also the main reason I bought this TV was to watch movies and from what I read 120hz is good since it can play 24p movies. However I notice during long panning shots on any Blu-Ray I watch, I'm seeing very noticeable stuttering. This isn't just a case of me not used to 24p playback because I'm a huge movie watcher and I've never seen jaggedy movement like this during any panning in movies before. I tried putting on True Cinema and Cinemotion to high as I have seen recommended in many places, but it doesn't seem to help at all. Is there any way to fix this or does anyone know why this is? Any help would be much appreciated.
If TrueCinema doesn't cut it, try these motion settings:

Motionflow: Custom
Smoothness: 2
Clearness: Min
Cinemotion: High

Last edited by Todd Scott; 04-04-2018 at 02:22 PM.
post #14398 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mart541 View Post
I just got the update. I may be a bit hasty with this, but I was having consistent annoying motion issues that seem to have vanished. The motion issues were bad enough that my better half, who makes it a point of pride to not be able to tell the difference between av upgrades, admitted that something was off. It's like I have a new TV.
Were they stuttering issues like when the camera pans? I got the update last night and I watched Pacific Rim on 4K bluray today, which I remember having those issues the first time I watched it, and I didnt notice it. I dont know if I’ve just gotten use to it or if the update improved it, but it was definitely something that drove me crazy when I first made the switch to 4K.
post #14399 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer View Post
Were they stuttering issues like when the camera pans? I got the update last night and I watched Pacific Rim on 4K bluray today, which I remember having those issues the first time I watched it, and I didnt notice it. I dont know if I’ve just gotten use to it or if the update improved it, but it was definitely something that drove me crazy when I first made the switch to 4K.
That's exactly what I was getting. Stuttering during pans and after cuts to a different angle if there was movement on screen. It's gone now.
post #14400 of 19279 Old 04-04-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Scott View Post
If TrueCinema doesn't cut it, try these motion settings:

Motionflow: Custom
Smoothness: 2
Clearness: Min
Cinemotion: High
Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up doing something similar to that (smoothness to 1) and noticed an improvement, although I'd prefer if there was an option without the soap opera effect.

Another concern I have if anyone knows the answer to this, is I noticed when I turn local dimming off on my TV and have a black screen playing that it looks very splotchy and uneven, with light bleeding in the corners of the TV. Is this normal? With local dimming on it's evenly black, however turning local dimming off and seeing that just has me very concerned there's something wrong with my TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page