2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 481 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40368Likes

post #14401 of 19060 Old 04-04-2018, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mart541 View Post
That's exactly what I was getting. Stuttering during pans and after cuts to a different angle if there was movement on screen. It's gone now.
Awesome! High five for us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14402 of 19060 Old 04-04-2018, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So I was looking at some YouTube videos about settings for gaming on this set, and now I heard something about only certain HDMI ports being HDR capable? Is that true? If so, which ones are they?
post #14403 of 19060 Old 04-04-2018, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
quick note: the DTV Now offer does not require a dish in any way. it's an online streaming service which you can cancel at any time (i have a calendar reminder at 3 months to cancel it before the start charging me for month 4), so it is painless. just create an account, pay $105 (and use your favorite "electronic rebate" company (i use ebate but there are other that may yield more than $16)), and then a week or so later, a Apple TV shows up on your doorstep. not bad at all.

Mac128: what is your exact setup for wiring/connection?

me:
AppleTV goes into HDMI 2 and optical out of TV goes into Emotiva Processor feeding 7.1 system.
i also have the Emotiva connected to HDMI3 which outputs my 1080p sources to the TV.
Thanks for clarifying. Didn't realize that was for ATTs DTV Now streaming service. That's excellent. I presume that requires ATT internet though, or does it work with any ISP?

My ATV is wired directly into port 3 with a high speed HDMI cable. Nothing special involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoZags13 View Post
I'm running my ATV to my reciever, and then a single HDMI to the TV (HDMI3). I've had to restart my system at times because of audio, but I think that has more to do with HDMI passthrough. Whatever it is, simply doing a quick restart seems to fix everything. I'm still willing to live with it over using the native apps on the tv, I simply like the ATV remote and UI so much more.
I see, yeah, mine is wired directly into port 3, so I've had no audio issues at all. Mine is strictly video & CEC related. Your receiver is probably maintaining the CEC connection. Not sure why mine keeps dropping, but hopefully the latest update fixed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndrinkableWater View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up doing something similar to that (smoothness to 1) and noticed an improvement, although I'd prefer if there was an option without the soap opera effect.

Another concern I have if anyone knows the answer to this, is I noticed when I turn local dimming off on my TV and have a black screen playing that it looks very splotchy and uneven, with light bleeding in the corners of the TV. Is this normal? With local dimming on it's evenly black, however turning local dimming off and seeing that just has me very concerned there's something wrong with my TV.
Local Dimming should always be on. That's why we all bought this set. That said, I wouldn't critique it on a black screen (what is your source for this black screen?). Use a gray screen as you can find on YouTube to get an idea of the screen uniformity. If you still see a lot of uneven lighting, or banding, or other issues, then you may have a problem. The corners of the TV should be dark if anything, as is the nature of FALD displays. Post pictures if you're still concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom View Post
So I was looking at some YouTube videos about settings for gaming on this set, and now I heard something about only certain HDMI ports being HDR capable? Is that true? If so, which ones are they?
All four ports are HDR compatible. The distinction is that only ports 2 & 3 support 4K at 60Hz. There are various other configurations that can exceed the bandwidth of ports 1 & 4, which is why it's recommended to attach gear that supports high bit depth chroma, and 60-120p frame rate to 2 & 3 with enhancement enabled in settings.

Last edited by Mac128; 04-04-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14404 of 19060 Old 04-04-2018, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks, Mac. So I have some follow-ups hopefully you or someone else can answer.

First, what kind of sources would need use of those higher bandwidth ports? My Cable box I know it doesn't matter, so that can live on HDM1. On the other ports I have:

HDMI 2 Fire TV
HDMI 3 Soundbar
HDMI 4 Xbox One X

I was thinking maybe I could pass my Fire TV through the Xbox One X, but I don't know if that even matters. Is anything coming out of the Fire TV doing 4k at 60Hz? Or anything that would require the advanced port? If not, maybe I can just swap the Xbox and the Fire TV, problem solved.

(I have to say, that is an irritating wrinkle, though!)
post #14405 of 19060 Old 04-04-2018, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Oh, or maybe I should use Optical to the soundbar instead, if that makes any difference. It's a Sony HT-C390.
post #14406 of 19060 Old 04-04-2018, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
Thanks for clarifying. Didn't realize that was for ATTs DTV Now streaming service. That's excellent. I presume that requires ATT internet though, or does it work with any ISP?

My ATV is wired directly into port 3 with a high speed HDMI cable. Nothing special involved.

I see, yeah, mine is wired directly into port 3, so I've had no audio issues at all. Mine is strictly video & CEC related. Your receiver is probably maintaining the CEC connection. Not sure why mine keeps dropping, but hopefully the latest update fixed it.

Local Dimming should always be on. That's why we all bought this set. That said, I wouldn't critique it on a black screen (what is your source for this black screen?). Use a gray screen as you can find on YouTube to get an idea of the screen uniformity. If you still see a lot of uneven lighting, or banding, or other issues, then you may have a problem. The corners of the TV should be dark if anything, as is the nature of FALD displays. Post pictures if you're still concerned.

All four ports are HDR compatible. The distinction is that only ports 2 & 3 support 4K at 60Hz. There are various other configurations that can exceed the bandwidth of ports 1 & 4, which is why it's recommended to attach gear that supports high bit depth chroma, and 60-120p frame rate to 2 & 3 with enhancement enabled in settings.
I've attached an image which shows what I see when local dimming is off and I watch a video of a pure black screen test on YouTube. The light bleeding in the right corner especially has me concerned it's an issue with my TV specifically.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	2384954  
post #14407 of 19060 Old 04-04-2018, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
I've attached an image which shows what I see when local dimming is off and I watch a video of a pure black screen test on YouTube. The light bleeding in the right corner especially has me concerned it's an issue with my TV specifically.
Bottom right corner is the same as mine, I notice it when loading Brooklyn 99 and the screen is black except for the FOX logo. The bleed seems pretty localized, I'd say it's limited to a 3" area around the logo. But it's not so bad that I'm gonna return it. Also I'm pretty sure no one else notices...
post #14408 of 19060 Old 04-04-2018, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1256 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
How does it look with local dimming on? Nobody would watch this tv with local dimming off. If you turn local dimming on and you don't have those issues then I wouldn't worry about it. No Sony FALD tv looks good with local dimming off...

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
post #14409 of 19060 Old 04-04-2018, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
The ATV accesses your Mac via the Computer App on the Home screen. It's designed to work with iTunes, so your media library needs to be set up through that. You basically enable HomeSharing on your Mac & ATV.
That's the way I used to do it, from a Mac in my office, using ethernet LAN, to a 2nd Gen ATV. But it's only one of the ways to do it, and it is not ideal for audiophile purposes for a variety of reasons: music has to be resampled to 48KHz for the ATV, whereas CD rips are 44.1khz (or were resampled when rip'd); jitter may well be an issue (if you're feeding a digital signal to a DAC; and iTunes may molest that digital stream (if you can't use something like BitPerfect).

That's why I added a MacMini, instead of continuing to use the machine in my office. I can run BitPerfect on it and feed to digital stream directly via USB to my DAC. So I need to control the Mini directly, and I'm hoping this Remote Buddy thing will be a better way. If all it does is enable home-sharing from the Mini to the ATV, it's not doing anything my 2ndGen ATV couldn't do natively and I'm be disappointed. Thankfully it's free, at least for the trial.
post #14410 of 19060 Old 04-04-2018, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
any of you got ChromeCast Ultra to work i HDR on HDMI 1 or 4 ,no problem on HDMI 2 or 3 , but are the are in use

Kef R500,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-1000, Onkyo TX-NR818,BlueSound Node2 , Sony 65XE90, Xbox One S. ,Apple Tv4K
post #14411 of 19060 Old 04-05-2018, 12:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up doing something similar to that (smoothness to 1) and noticed an improvement, although I'd prefer if there was an option without the soap opera effect.

Another concern I have if anyone knows the answer to this, is I noticed when I turn local dimming off on my TV and have a black screen playing that it looks very splotchy and uneven, with light bleeding in the corners of the TV. Is this normal? With local dimming on it's evenly black, however turning local dimming off and seeing that just has me very concerned there's something wrong with my TV.
I’ve had my 75x900e for about a week now. My TV is the same way with local dimming off and it’s probably normal. That being said I couldn’t imagine ever using the TV with dimming off lol. I’ve been messing with motion settings since then. Lots of stuff is fine for the most part. I absolutely hate SOE and I’ve used custom smooth on 1 and cinemotion on high and it’s too smooth for me too lol. Best I’ve come up with so far. Gonna play some more this weekend and try using smooth on 2 and lowering cinemotion to med or low.

I think if you set smooth to min it still applies light smoothing to it but I can’t confirm. Worth a shot putting it on min and keeping cinemotion on high. If you do find anything better for you please let me know. I won’t be able to mess around with it again until the weekend.

Another area I’m having issues with is playback using the native video app of 4K HDR rips. I’m playing directly from the PC which is hardwired to my router via gigabit. Router is hardwired to another router in my entertainment center via gigabit and TV is direct wired from it via 100mbit. I don’t think it’s a bandwidth issue as the rips are only around 20gb and I’ve never had any network issues with the setup on other devices, but I plan on trying via USB 3.0 flash drive this weekend too just to confirm.

I can’t get motion interpolation to work via the native video app or kodi which I’ve installed via the play store. I won’t be using kodi anyway as if you have a video playing and enter the action menu it stops the video making it hard to see adjustments in action. I’ve cranked smooth up to 5 playing a few different videos on kodi and the native app and it’s definitely not applying interpolation at all. I’m not sure if it’s a bug that needs to be addressed or if it’s just not possible to use those processing features on those apps.

If anyone has any information about that it would be greatly appreciated. If it’s not possible to play my rips and enabling motion interpolation to smooth it out a little I’ll be looking into a separate device for that purpose—Roku, Apple TV, or Shield. I don’t really know a whole lot about using those devices or what they are capable of natively though. I just need them to play a wide variety of different things without being fussy and would prefer if they could be direct played without using something like Plex which I do have installed and was using it to play my rips via PS4.

I’d love to be able to just either play them natively using processing features or be able to turn on a separate device and not have to make sure I’ve got plex running on my PC at the time or etc. Ease of use.

As far as the TV goes aside from those issues it’s fantastic. I have no complaints with watching my directv on it from 10.5ft back. I was watching Logan on HBO on it using the native 1080i feed and it was fantastic looking albeit motion settings. Even watched some ABC programming which looked the same as or better than my old TV. Have done some light gaming on it via PS4 Pro and have no complaints with that either. Really is a great buy. Now if I could resolve the few issues I have with playback and motion I’ll be set. On my old TV I’ve learned to live with the motion or avoided watching things that were too bad on camera pans because of limited adjustments. All I want is a natural looking camera pan that doesn’t bother my eyes.
post #14412 of 19060 Old 04-05-2018, 01:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
I’ve had my 75x900e for about a week now. My TV is the same way with local dimming off and it’s probably normal. That being said I couldn’t imagine ever using the TV with dimming off lol. I’ve been messing with motion settings since then. Lots of stuff is fine for the most part. I absolutely hate SOE and I’ve used custom smooth on 1 and cinemotion on high and it’s too smooth for me too lol. Best I’ve come up with so far. Gonna play some more this weekend and try using smooth on 2 and lowering cinemotion to med or low.

I think if you set smooth to min it still applies light smoothing to it but I can’t confirm. Worth a shot putting it on min and keeping cinemotion on high. If you do find anything better for you please let me know. I won’t be able to mess around with it again until the weekend.

Another area I’m having issues with is playback using the native video app of 4K HDR rips. I’m playing directly from the PC which is hardwired to my router via gigabit. Router is hardwired to another router in my entertainment center via gigabit and TV is direct wired from it via 100mbit. I don’t think it’s a bandwidth issue as the rips are only around 20gb and I’ve never had any network issues with the setup on other devices, but I plan on trying via USB 3.0 flash drive this weekend too just to confirm.

I can’t get motion interpolation to work via the native video app or kodi which I’ve installed via the play store. I won’t be using kodi anyway as if you have a video playing and enter the action menu it stops the video making it hard to see adjustments in action. I’ve cranked smooth up to 5 playing a few different videos on kodi and the native app and it’s definitely not applying interpolation at all. I’m not sure if it’s a bug that needs to be addressed or if it’s just not possible to use those processing features on those apps.

If anyone has any information about that it would be greatly appreciated. If it’s not possible to play my rips and enabling motion interpolation to smooth it out a little I’ll be looking into a separate device for that purpose—Roku, Apple TV, or Shield. I don’t really know a whole lot about using those devices or what they are capable of natively though. I just need them to play a wide variety of different things without being fussy and would prefer if they could be direct played without using something like Plex which I do have installed and was using it to play my rips via PS4.

I’d love to be able to just either play them natively using processing features or be able to turn on a separate device and not have to make sure I’ve got plex running on my PC at the time or etc. Ease of use.

As far as the TV goes aside from those issues it’s fantastic. I have no complaints with watching my directv on it from 10.5ft back. I was watching Logan on HBO on it using the native 1080i feed and it was fantastic looking albeit motion settings. Even watched some ABC programming which looked the same as or better than my old TV. Have done some light gaming on it via PS4 Pro and have no complaints with that either. Really is a great buy. Now if I could resolve the few issues I have with playback and motion I’ll be set. On my old TV I’ve learned to live with the motion or avoided watching things that were too bad on camera pans because of limited adjustments. All I want is a natural looking camera pan that doesn’t bother my eyes.
As far as playing from an external drive, you should have no problem at all. I play 4k hdr rips from an external drive all the time without issue and can adjust motion and all other settings. If you turn on smoothing in the Custom Motionflow menu, you'll need to turn cinemotion on for it to apply. Try Smoothness at 1, Clearness at Min, and Cinemotion on Med and see if that is enough smoothing without too much SOE. But if you turn smoothing on and leave Cinemotion off, I don't think it will apply any smoothing. I believe it has to be on at least low.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
post #14413 of 19060 Old 04-05-2018, 01:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
As far as playing from an external drive, you should have no problem at all. I play 4k hdr rips from an external drive all the time without issue and can adjust motion and all other settings. If you turn on smoothing in the Custom Motionflow menu, you'll need to turn cinemotion on for it to apply. Try Smoothness at 1, Clearness at Min, and Cinemotion on Med and see if that is enough smoothing without too much SOE. But if you turn smoothing on and leave Cinemotion off, I don't think it will apply any smoothing. I believe it has to be on at least low.
I’ve had cinemotion on high and smooth maxed out adjusting everything in between during playback of my rips. I’m specifically trying to get the slow panning scene in 10 cloverfield lane about 22 minutes in to seem realistic to me without too much SOE but changing settings during playback didn’t change it at all. Is it possible for a certain scene to just be immune to it?

Now that I think about it I played a rip of Star Trek into darkness last weekend and it was smoother and I had to turn it down and completely forgot about that. I’m guessing this specific scene I was testing on just isn’t able to be smoothed it must be too complex for the TV to generate the proper frames. Wish I’d have remembered that earlier when I was playing around with it for 2 hours lol.

I mostly used true cinema with cinemotion on high but I can’t take the panning shots like that on some films. So started experimenting with custom motionflow. I’m pretty sure I’ve tried what you suggested and couldn’t tell the difference between cinemotion on medium vs high. It’s possible it was very subtle difference though I’ll try again watching a whole movie this weekend and see what it feels like. Thanks for the suggestion.

I’m also going to try smoothness at min with cinemotion on high. I’m assuming min still applies light smoothing but could be wrong. I’ll also try smoothing at 2 and cinemotion on low. I’ll see what happens over the weekend. Thanks again for the input.
post #14414 of 19060 Old 04-05-2018, 01:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’ve had cinemotion on high and smooth maxed out adjusting everything in between during playback of my rips. I’m specifically trying to get the slow panning scene in 10 cloverfield lane about 22 minutes in to seem realistic to me without too much SOE but changing settings during playback didn’t change it at all. Is it possible for a certain scene to just be immune to it?

Now that I think about it I played a rip of Star Trek into darkness last weekend and it was smoother and I had to turn it down and completely forgot about that. I’m guessing this specific scene I was testing on just isn’t able to be smoothed it must be too complex for the TV to generate the proper frames. Wish I’d have remembered that earlier when I was playing around with it for 2 hours lol.

I mostly used true cinema with cinemotion on high but I can’t take the panning shots like that on some films. So started experimenting with custom motionflow. I’m pretty sure I’ve tried what you suggested and couldn’t tell the difference between cinemotion on medium vs high. It’s possible it was very subtle difference though I’ll try again watching a whole movie this weekend and see what it feels like. Thanks for the suggestion.

I’m also going to try smoothness at min with cinemotion on high. I’m assuming min still applies light smoothing but could be wrong. I’ll also try smoothing at 2 and cinemotion on low. I’ll see what happens over the weekend. Thanks again for the input.
Smoothness at 2 with cinemotion on Medium is really smooth. There is some SOE, but almost 0 artifacting. It's like watching a video that was shot in 60 fps on a nice video camera. I like it.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
post #14415 of 19060 Old 04-05-2018, 01:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Smoothness at 2 with cinemotion on Medium is really smooth. There is some SOE, but almost 0 artifacting. It's like watching a video that was shot in 60 fps on a nice video camera. I like it.
I’m guessing it’s impossible for me to get it how I want it without adding some SOE into it. But I’m gonna try those several settings and see which I like best and roll with it. I’m guessing it’s so much worse looking with the bigger screen (75” compared to old 65”). I’ll eventually find settings that are passable for me. Until then TV is still a pleasure to watch.
post #14416 of 19060 Old 04-05-2018, 01:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
I’m guessing it’s impossible for me to get it how I want it without adding some SOE into it. But I’m gonna try those several settings and see which I like best and roll with it. I’m guessing it’s so much worse looking with the bigger screen (75” compared to old 65”). I’ll eventually find settings that are passable for me. Until then TV is still a pleasure to watch.
Yeah I even find some movies look better with some smoothing and some look better with all motion processing off. So I have different picture presets with all the same settings except motion. If I want to change quick I just change the preset, that way I don't have to go digging into the settings. I think it annoys my wife when I go changing settings mid movie lol

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
post #14417 of 19060 Old 04-05-2018, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by wessieball View Post
Hey, did you get a replacement unit? I checked your video again and actually it's not that bad (originally I viewed it on my phone). So my banding is more noticeable during HDR content. I really don't notice it at all in HD or SD content. My guess is that's because it's at max brightness so any flaw will be more visible. I more than likely will end up keeping the TV because it's not that terrible. Again, I'm just more concerned about getting a worse panel vs. dealing with a little banding in some content.
Yes I did and it is much better. There will always be some banding on these sets but watched the same clip from justice league and it is definitely better then the previous set. For some reason too motion seems quite a bit better. When played far cry 5 for xbox one x it seemed much smoother and less motion blur. Maybe there could have been something wrong with the processor in the previous tv not sure. Overall much happier with the new set I received.
wessieball likes this.
post #14418 of 19060 Old 04-05-2018, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:

That Cloverfield Lane scene where John Goodman first shows them the common room of the bunker is hands down the definitive scene to test for proper motion settings. That's my go to litmus test.

That said, I'm using TrueCinema and Cinemotion with 24p streaming sources, and that scene is still a bit bumpy. I have used Custom motion and managed to dial in just enough SOE to smooth that scene out perfectly without affecting the way the rest of it looks. However, I couldn't live with the idea of taking it off native 24p, so I just live with the slightly less perfect motion in scenes like this.

I never saw this movie in theaters, so I have no idea whether it looks perfectly smooth natively to begin with -- and let me say that I have sat in a movie theater and watched movies with panning scenes that threatened to make me nauseous they were so choppy. What I do know is that it's possible to artificially make it smooth as butter on this TV. So again, I'm streaming it from online sources like Netflix and Amazon. I have not tried to stream a rip with the native app or my Apple TV, so I can't advise whether the built-in video app is capable of responding to those adjustments in the same way, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't. So I'd question your source as well. Regardless, I can confirm that scene can be made to look perfect with no judder whatsoever.

Last edited by Mac128; 04-05-2018 at 06:57 AM.
post #14419 of 19060 Old 04-05-2018, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by mart541 View Post
That's exactly what I was getting. Stuttering during pans and after cuts to a different angle if there was movement on screen. It's gone now.
Sony seems to been steadily improving the motion on this over the last few months. When I first got mine in September it was noticeably stuttery compared to the silky-smooth W700B I was coming from but now that gap has been largely, if not entirely, closed. Really glad to see the regular improvements in this area as it was a large weakness in the set.
post #14420 of 19060 Old 04-05-2018, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
Sony seems to been steadily improving the motion on this over the last few months. When I first got mine in September it was noticeably stuttery compared to the silky-smooth W700B I was coming from but now that gap has been largely, if not entirely, closed. Really glad to see the regular improvements in this area as it was a large weakness in the set.
After playing around last night I gotta say I was a bit hasty to claim that the issue is gone, but it is definitely significantly improved. It was driving me nuts. I'm 50% happy to see the improvement and 50% pissed off that Sony sold a multi thousand dollar set that can't show smooth playback and it took them a year to fix while they never even admitted it was an issue.
post #14421 of 19060 Old 04-05-2018, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_tr View Post
Finally received my TV. Heavier than I thought. I have my 67" DLP on a 60" glass top stand. Not sure what the weight specs on it. Was planning on putting tv on it but now kinda of afraid. Any recommendations?

You can always set it up and just place a couple small children under it to break the fall of the tv. A couple good pudgy ones should do.

Just make sure you write down your video settings, I’d hate for that tv to come crashing down on those kids and you lose your dialed in picture adjustments!

Sony XBR65X900E
Xbox X
Denon X4300H
5.1.4- Klipsch RC-62 ii, R-26F, R-15M, R-10SW, Monoprice 8" Black Back Ceiling Speakers
post #14422 of 19060 Old 04-05-2018, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Went from LG 75UH8500 to a 65X900E

Just want to know a few picture settings that the expert here are using.

4k UltraHD
XBOX ONE X
PS4 PRO
and ROKU 4K HDR

Thanks!
post #14423 of 19060 Old 04-05-2018, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6513 Post(s)
Liked: 6483
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan456 View Post
Yes I did and it is much better. There will always be some banding on these sets but watched the same clip from justice league and it is definitely better then the previous set. For some reason too motion seems quite a bit better. When played far cry 5 for xbox one x it seemed much smoother and less motion blur. Maybe there could have been something wrong with the processor in the previous tv not sure. Overall much happier with the new set I received.
Second time is a charm, as you noted uniformity issues are usually on every tv out there. There is nothing out there for this price that is as good.....
post #14424 of 19060 Old 04-05-2018, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Every Panel I have owned has had some level of clouding. I have learned to accept it. I never watch shows in the dark, so I usually don't ever notice it. This 75x900E is much better than my previous 75x850C for sure, but it is there no doubt -especially in the upper corners and randomly around the screen slightly.

Doubt this helps you, but wanted to share my experience.
post #14425 of 19060 Old 04-05-2018, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
How does it look with local dimming on? Nobody would watch this tv with local dimming off. If you turn local dimming on and you don't have those issues then I wouldn't worry about it. No Sony FALD tv looks good with local dimming off...
Good point, with local dimming set to medium it becomes minimal (to the point where my wife thought I was crazy). It certainly meets all my expectations.
post #14426 of 19060 Old 04-05-2018, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am working on getting my 75" setup. Right now I have all my audio connections going to my Onkyo 656 than output to the tv. I am trying to figure out how to connect so I can get audio from tv to AVR so when using youtube or what ever I can get audio to go through receiver. I have connected to the ARC hdmi. My old tv had an hdmi output but do not see one on sony. My brain is fried right now. Need to take a break. What do I need to do?
post #14427 of 19060 Old 04-05-2018, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_tr View Post
I am working on getting my 75" setup. Right now I have all my audio connections going to my Onkyo 656 than output to the tv. I am trying to figure out how to connect so I can get audio from tv to AVR so when using youtube or what ever I can get audio to go through receiver. I have connected to the ARC hdmi. My old tv had an hdmi output but do not see one on sony. My brain is fried right now. Need to take a break. What do I need to do?

Was using the wrong hdmi output on receiver.
nihilan likes this.
post #14428 of 19060 Old 04-05-2018, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am considering this TV for our movie & tv setup. 75" is the one I am interested in as we sit about 14-15" away.

I am running my content (Comcast, AppleTV & blue-ray player) thru my Denon with only one HDMI cord going to my current Samsung (55"). This been functioning well so I have all my sound going thru my surround speaker setup. Long winded...but I like the idea of a screen being just a screen. From my limited research, it appears I can turn off or just not connect the Sony X900E to my network. Have others not connected theirs to the internet? I guess the only concern would be the lack of updates?

Anyone have experience in turning this TV into just a monitor?

Cheers,
Mike

Denon AVR-X1200W
post #14429 of 19060 Old 04-05-2018, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekelund View Post
any of you got ChromeCast Ultra to work i HDR on HDMI 1 or 4 ,no problem on HDMI 2 or 3 , but are the are in use
HDR doesn't work on those ports as far as I know
post #14430 of 19060 Old 04-05-2018, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anyone else been prompted to do an update? I'm too nervous to update since I heard that the last one broke game mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page