2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 482 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40346Likes

post #14431 of 19002 Old 04-05-2018, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcracken View Post
Anyone have experience in turning this TV into just a monitor?

Cheers,
Mike
I don't use any of the built in stuff. Well very rarely. Everything I run is plugged into the TV and ARC to my AVR. Works just fine as a glorified monitor and all the game consoles and Media PC work just fine with it. I like custom picture settings for the peripherals so they are all plugged in directly to the TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14432 of 19002 Old 04-05-2018, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 946 Post(s)
Liked: 294
What picture setting are you guys using to watch BasketBall?
post #14433 of 19002 Old 04-05-2018, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthemidget View Post
hdr doesn't work on those ports as far as i know
all four ports are capable of hdr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14434 of 19002 Old 04-05-2018, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekelund View Post
any of you got ChromeCast Ultra to work i HDR on HDMI 1 or 4 ,no problem on HDMI 2 or 3 , but are the are in use
Check your ChromeCast Ultra output settings. Does it support HDR in general (I don't know). If so, then make sure you're getting it on port 2 or 3. Then confirm the output is not set above 30Hz, and that the Chroma is set to 4.2.0 for use with port 1 & 4.

Ports 1 & 4 support HDR, but not at high bit rates. If your ChomrCast Ultra supports 60Hz and 4.2.2 chroma, or above, then you'll probably want to put it on 2 or 3 anyway. However, a streaming device is not likely to give you a much noticeably different picture maxing out its bandwidth, so you're probably better off limiting it's output with port 1 or 4.

Once you get the output to low enough bitrate that you're seeing HDR, you may be able to go back up to 60Hz with a lower Chroma setting.

Last edited by Mac128; 04-05-2018 at 07:02 PM.
post #14435 of 19002 Old 04-05-2018, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
That Cloverfield Lane scene where John Goodman first shows them the common room of the bunker is hands down the definitive scene to test for proper motion settings. That's my go to litmus test.

That said, I'm using TrueCinema and Cinemotion with 24p streaming sources, and that scene is still a bit bumpy. I have used Custom motion and managed to dial in just enough SOE to smooth that scene out perfectly without affecting the way the rest of it looks. However, I couldn't live with the idea of taking it off native 24p, so I just live with the slightly less perfect motion in scenes like this.

I never saw this movie in theaters, so I have no idea whether it looks perfectly smooth natively to begin with -- and let me say that I have sat in a movie theater and watched movies with panning scenes that threatened to make me nauseous they were so choppy. What I do know is that it's possible to artificially make it smooth as butter on this TV. So again, I'm streaming it from online sources like Netflix and Amazon. I have not tried to stream a rip with the native app or my Apple TV, so I can't advise whether the built-in video app is capable of responding to those adjustments in the same way, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't. So I'd question your source as well. Regardless, I can confirm that scene can be made to look perfect with no judder whatsoever.
I’m torn between true cinema with cinemotion on high, custom smooth min and cinemotion high or custom smooth 2 cinemotion low.

All look roughly the same to me and don’t add any noticeable SOE. Spent the past few hours playing with motion settings watching directv on various channels. Came to the conclusion that this is what it’s gonna be like on a modern TV. Just gotta try and find the best balance. I’m assuming my eyes are just more sensitive to both judder and stutter than most. I’m also expecting it to be less noticeable when watching TV and movies at night on cinema pro with brightness at 15 as opposed to cinema home during the day with it at 25.

My wife does notice SOE when I have smoothness cranked up but appears to be oblivious to motion problems for the most part with it off. I’m sure I’ll eventually get used to how these modern TVs display things and I’m playing with settings because of the new TV wow factor. I can live with it how it is as long as it doesn’t ruin football when the upcoming NFL season is upon us.
post #14436 of 19002 Old 04-05-2018, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nates4Christ View Post
Has anyone else been prompted to do an update? I'm too nervous to update since I heard that the last one broke game mode.
I was just on game mode 5 minutes ago and it works fine.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
post #14437 of 19002 Old 04-05-2018, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Still loving it

Sometimes I still turn the tv on and am blown away by the picture. When i first got the set i was a little bummed out about the picture leaving a little to be desired, but once you get it dialed in, man it's pretty incredible. I like to post some shots every now and then to give new owners who might be feeling the way I did some hope. This is a great set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04-05-2018_21-37_0246.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	626.2 KB
ID:	2385738   Click image for larger version

Name:	04-05-2018_21-36_0245.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	740.2 KB
ID:	2385740   Click image for larger version

Name:	04-05-2018_21-36_0244.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	672.0 KB
ID:	2385742   Click image for larger version

Name:	04-05-2018_21-34_0241.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	671.2 KB
ID:	2385744   Click image for larger version

Name:	04-05-2018_21-32_0236.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	2385746  

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
post #14438 of 19002 Old 04-06-2018, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
I’m torn between true cinema with cinemotion on high, custom smooth min and cinemotion high or custom smooth 2 cinemotion low.

All look roughly the same to me and don’t add any noticeable SOE. Spent the past few hours playing with motion settings watching directv on various channels. Came to the conclusion that this is what it’s gonna be like on a modern TV. Just gotta try and find the best balance. I’m assuming my eyes are just more sensitive to both judder and stutter than most. I’m also expecting it to be less noticeable when watching TV and movies at night on cinema pro with brightness at 15 as opposed to cinema home during the day with it at 25.

My wife does notice SOE when I have smoothness cranked up but appears to be oblivious to motion problems for the most part with it off. I’m sure I’ll eventually get used to how these modern TVs display things and I’m playing with settings because of the new TV wow factor. I can live with it how it is as long as it doesn’t ruin football when the upcoming NFL season is upon us.
I've had the 65" since June last year. Blooming and studder definitely stood out for me. I went back and forth with your same motion settings above and now just keep it on True Cinema / High. If I'm watching a documentary, I will ramp up the SOE. Anyway, I can tell you now that I very rarely notice any of these issues. Bias lighting has helped tremendously with blooming/bleeding and maybe the updates have done something with judder, but I've probably just got used to my settings and have been able to enjoy the picture, so get your settings dialed in and just sit back and watch. You will adjust and all of these imperfections will go away.

I have Xfinity X1 box and my cable doesn't look great. I had a digital adapter before the box and I thought that looked better. I'm working on getting my hockey settings dialed in and I think I found a happy place last night with STANDARD and using NEUTRAL for color. My normal Cinema Pro settings work pretty well except I don't really like the EXPERT 1 color with hockey. The ice looks much better with Neutral and it seems easier to use Standard rather than switching Cinema Pro settings on and off. I also thought I've seen people say in here that Standard handles cable well for whatever reason...
post #14439 of 19002 Old 04-06-2018, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddysnake View Post
I've had the 65" since June last year. Blooming and studder definitely stood out for me. I went back and forth with your same motion settings above and now just keep it on True Cinema / High. If I'm watching a documentary, I will ramp up the SOE. Anyway, I can tell you now that I very rarely notice any of these issues. Bias lighting has helped tremendously with blooming/bleeding and maybe the updates have done something with judder, but I've probably just got used to my settings and have been able to enjoy the picture, so get your settings dialed in and just sit back and watch. You will adjust and all of these imperfections will go away.

I have Xfinity X1 box and my cable doesn't look great. I had a digital adapter before the box and I thought that looked better. I'm working on getting my hockey settings dialed in and I think I found a happy place last night with STANDARD and using NEUTRAL for color. My normal Cinema Pro settings work pretty well except I don't really like the EXPERT 1 color with hockey. The ice looks much better with Neutral and it seems easier to use Standard rather than switching Cinema Pro settings on and off. I also thought I've seen people say in here that Standard handles cable well for whatever reason...
Pls share your hockey settings or the base of them as Ive been tweaking as well, but not yet satisfied either

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
post #14440 of 19002 Old 04-06-2018, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by debrain View Post
Pls share your hockey settings or the base of them as Ive been tweaking as well, but not yet satisfied either

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Still a work in progress, but this is what I used last night and got jersey and ice dialed in pretty nice. Still some artifacts and sharp edges (and I'm not real sure if that's cable and if any settings here can help that)

I welcome all others to share what works for them with Hockey.

Spoiler!
post #14441 of 19002 Old 04-06-2018, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddysnake View Post
Still a work in progress, but this is what I used last night and got jersey and ice dialed in pretty nice. Still some artifacts and sharp edges (and I'm not real sure if that's cable and if any settings here can help that)

I welcome all others to share what works for them with Hockey.
Dialing down the sharpness may get rid of some of the artifact issues, mine is at 30.
Still playing with my sports settings but i've noticed on all sports that when the camera zooms in the pic quality is outstanding.
post #14442 of 19002 Old 04-06-2018, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
Sometimes I still turn the tv on and am blown away by the picture. When i first got the set i was a little bummed out about the picture leaving a little to be desired, but once you get it dialed in, man it's pretty incredible. I like to post some shots every now and then to give new owners who might be feeling the way I did some hope. This is a great set.

what settings are you using to get the best blacks?

I set up my sisters 65" last night and the PQ was pretty good, but I thought the blacks were lacking.

that said, I didnt have much time to mess with the settings.

do we want cinema pro or custom? etc.

64PNF8500 Plasma, Yamama RX-V1900, BIC Acoustech 5.1
post #14443 of 19002 Old 04-06-2018, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcracken View Post
I am considering this TV for our movie & tv setup. 75" is the one I am interested in as we sit about 14-15" away.

I am running my content (Comcast, AppleTV & blue-ray player) thru my Denon with only one HDMI cord going to my current Samsung (55"). This been functioning well so I have all my sound going thru my surround speaker setup. Long winded...but I like the idea of a screen being just a screen. From my limited research, it appears I can turn off or just not connect the Sony X900E to my network. Have others not connected theirs to the internet? I guess the only concern would be the lack of updates?

Anyone have experience in turning this TV into just a monitor?

Cheers,
Mike
You certainly don't need to connect your TV to your home network. Keeping it as a "monitor" will mean that you're going to be responsible for watching for firmware updates and loading them from USB. This is not at all hard to do, but again - you have to be the one that checks for updates.

Regardless of what you opt to do, I would definitely suggest that you update to the latest firmware BEFORE you customize anything. Firmware update, factory reset, THEN do your customizations. This should give you the best chance at only having to set things up once, AND get a nice quality picture.
post #14444 of 19002 Old 04-06-2018, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
Quote:

what settings are you using to get the best blacks?

I set up my sisters 65" last night and the PQ was pretty good, but I thought the blacks were lacking.

that said, I didnt have much time to mess with the settings.

do we want cinema pro or custom? etc.
The picture preset doesn't matter as they can all be adjusted, they are just "slots" so you can change them all if u want. Try these as a start and adjust to your liking.

https://youtu.be/JUeu25SX178. For non 4k hdr

https://youtu.be/MLlFPUSswkU For 4k hdr

You could probably bring the black level up to 48 to get a little more shadow detail if you find it lacking
Breathing Borla likes this.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
post #14445 of 19002 Old 04-06-2018, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Randomly changing inputs without user input!

UGH... i thought i just had a random gremlins after updating the latest firmware a couple weeks ago, but this issue again reared it's ugly head multiple times last night.

Last night, while watching a half hour show (HDMI4, Tivo Roamio), the TV suddenly changed the input to HDMI3/ARC which is the output of our Emotiva Processor which has our Opp BR player attached to it.

i was annoyed, but quickly switched it back, but it happened again after about 5 minutes. i then shut down the TV, rebooted it, and resumed our show. it happened again! i then went in and turned of Bravia Sync (needing to power off the EMotiva so i could disable it), only have have it happen a 4th time at the end of the show!

needless to say, that was not a fun nor relaxing half hour of TV to unwind after a long day (my wife and i are not heavy TV watchers, but when our old Sony Bravia starting have video issues that required power cycling the TV every 20 minutes last month), we immediately bought a TV knowing we couldn't live without one nor one which wasn't reliable.

anyone have a clue what is going on? i can only think this has something to do with Bravia Sync which for the life of me, never seems to function as set up (whether or nor off).

at this point, i'm at a loss. i know Android isn't that great, and i've tried to avoid using the built in Apps by having an Apple TV, but this is ridiculous. a TV that decides to change inputs on its own, isn't very useful nor functional.

of course a call (going to be hard to call them during the day since i'm in a crazy stretch at work and there is no way i can be at home with the TV in hand when calling them during the day) or email to Sony is probably in order, but i'd love to hear some suggestions or experiences from you all.

my only thoughts are (and not looking forward to them):

- do a factory reset of the TV and hope that somehow gets rid of any glitches
- make sure Bravia Sync is entirely disabled from the get-go.
- come up with some other HDMI / wiring setup. right now our Tivo is going to HDMI4 for the simplicity of being able to use it without the 7.1 audio system if we wish. but 90% of the time we find ourselves using the audio through the 7.1 system, so it would probably make sense to plug it into the Emotiva (both are 1080p) and that may solve the Tivo Problem, and then hopefully, i won't witness input switching issues using my Apple TV on HDMI3.

yet, this seems a bit crazy. shouldn't inputs stay as they are. is there any reason Bravia Sync or ARC could cause problems such as this?

thanks for listening to my frustrations and maybe by some miracle, offering me a solution.
post #14446 of 19002 Old 04-06-2018, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hello everyone, just received my new XBR65X900E from a warranty exchange from Best Buy. My old XBR65X850C had a bad panel, I thought that TV was great, this set is a HUGE step up in quality over that model its night and day. After adjusting some of the picture settings ( not calibrating big difference ) I must say this TV just pops. 1st movie i watched was Planet Earth 2 4K on my Sony UBPX800U....Looked good on the 850c didn't have that HDR wow factor i have seen on other sets. With the 900e its a whole other ball game.. Colors, motion, clarity and HDR its like I was in the Jungle of Madagascar....
Gaming on my Xbox one (NOT S OR X) was night and day and on my PS4 Pro is jaw dropping. Even my SNES Classic looked better.
Cant wait till tonight when we have movie night. We picked up Star Wars The Last Jedi in 4k. For listening I have a little older receiver, Denon AVRX3100W with some older NHT SB1'S and SW10 Sub. still sounding just as clear as the day i bought them.
post #14447 of 19002 Old 04-06-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
The picture preset doesn't matter as they can all be adjusted, they are just "slots" so you can change them all if u want. Try these as a start and adjust to your liking.

You could probably bring the black level up to 48 to get a little more shadow detail if you find it lacking
thank you, Ill try these for a starters.

appreaciete the help

I'm used to my plasma blacks, so I have to reset my expectations, but this looks like one hell of a set and the thin bezels are cool.

I went with this over the vizio for her as I kept reading about reliability issues with the newer set.

post #14448 of 19002 Old 04-06-2018, 08:56 AM

how are you guys handling that huge power pack when wall mounting?

Im going to install an outlet behind the TV but will that thing fit behind the TV with an ultra slim tilting mount?

Im going with this stuff I think

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JJ57CR6...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0753GB7P1...v_ov_lig_dp_it

maybe try and zio tie it to the mount or something?

post #14449 of 19002 Old 04-06-2018, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Im going to install an outlet behind the TV but will that thing fit behind the TV with an ultra slim tilting mount?

I have a 55 inch 930d in my bedroom with a huge power brick. I just placed on top of the mount with TV tilted forward a bit

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
Breathing Borla likes this.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
post #14450 of 19002 Old 04-06-2018, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nates4Christ View Post
Has anyone else been prompted to do an update? I'm too nervous to update since I heard that the last one broke game mode.
I got prompted to do an update yesterday and it went smoothly. It took a little longer than I expected and there seemed to be an Android update as well.
post #14451 of 19002 Old 04-06-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:

I had it attached with heavy duty Velcro to the back of the panel. Not going anywhere.
post #14452 of 19002 Old 04-06-2018, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6405 Post(s)
Liked: 6399
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr6 View Post
Hello everyone, just received my new XBR65X900E from a warranty exchange from Best Buy. My old XBR65X850C had a bad panel, I thought that TV was great, this set is a HUGE step up in quality over that model its night and day.
Ya, that is a great trade, congrats
post #14453 of 19002 Old 04-06-2018, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
UGH... i thought i just had a random gremlins after updating the latest firmware a couple weeks ago, but this issue again reared it's ugly head multiple times last night.

Last night, while watching a half hour show (HDMI4, Tivo Roamio), the TV suddenly changed the input to HDMI3/ARC which is the output of our Emotiva Processor which has our Opp BR player attached to it.

i was annoyed, but quickly switched it back, but it happened again after about 5 minutes. i then shut down the TV, rebooted it, and resumed our show. it happened again! i then went in and turned of Bravia Sync (needing to power off the EMotiva so i could disable it), only have have it happen a 4th time at the end of the show!

needless to say, that was not a fun nor relaxing half hour of TV to unwind after a long day (my wife and i are not heavy TV watchers, but when our old Sony Bravia starting have video issues that required power cycling the TV every 20 minutes last month), we immediately bought a TV knowing we couldn't live without one nor one which wasn't reliable.

anyone have a clue what is going on? i can only think this has something to do with Bravia Sync which for the life of me, never seems to function as set up (whether or nor off).

at this point, i'm at a loss. i know Android isn't that great, and i've tried to avoid using the built in Apps by having an Apple TV, but this is ridiculous. a TV that decides to change inputs on its own, isn't very useful nor functional.

of course a call (going to be hard to call them during the day since i'm in a crazy stretch at work and there is no way i can be at home with the TV in hand when calling them during the day) or email to Sony is probably in order, but i'd love to hear some suggestions or experiences from you all.

my only thoughts are (and not looking forward to them):

- do a factory reset of the TV and hope that somehow gets rid of any glitches
- make sure Bravia Sync is entirely disabled from the get-go.
- come up with some other HDMI / wiring setup. right now our Tivo is going to HDMI4 for the simplicity of being able to use it without the 7.1 audio system if we wish. but 90% of the time we find ourselves using the audio through the 7.1 system, so it would probably make sense to plug it into the Emotiva (both are 1080p) and that may solve the Tivo Problem, and then hopefully, i won't witness input switching issues using my Apple TV on HDMI3.

yet, this seems a bit crazy. shouldn't inputs stay as they are. is there any reason Bravia Sync or ARC could cause problems such as this?

thanks for listening to my frustrations and maybe by some miracle, offering me a solution.
Any neighbors around with a similar TV? Sounds like someone is messing with you.

I would disable CEC control features and just run an optical cable for from the TV to the receiver for ARC. See if that makes the problem disappear.
post #14454 of 19002 Old 04-06-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Ya, that is a great trade, congrats
Thank you, i guess the one time i got the extended warranty it truly paid off.
post #14455 of 19002 Old 04-06-2018, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Scott View Post
Any neighbors around with a similar TV? Sounds like someone is messing with you.

I would disable CEC control features and just run an optical cable for from the TV to the receiver for ARC. See if that makes the problem disappear.
i would doubt i have neighbors with the same TV. like i said, this seemed to happen exactly coincident with the new firmware. i did get online with Sony tech support and they, as expected, suggested i do a full factory reset.

not fun, but but honestly, shouldn't take too long to jot down my settings for different inputs and then do it. i hope this resolves it and maybe, just maybe, it will also with some of my Apple TV issues.

but you raise a good topic which i feel ignorant on since there are way too many settings in different places on the TV. so here are some follow-up questions:

- how do i ensure that CEC (what i think is called Bravia Sync) is completely off? it's set with its slider as "OFF" under input settings/bravia sync. and last night, i wiped the two devices (Emotiva Processor and ATV4k from the list of known devices). is there anything else i should set/turn off?

- is there any way to tell the TV to not use ARC over HDMI3? i do already have the optical out from the TV feeding the Emotiva as an input.

as i noted in my first post, i'd like to keep things wired roughly the way i have it set up since it allows use of the Tivo without using the 7.1 sound system, but i'd be open to other suggestions if it would get rid of this phantom input switch and my need to reboot the Apple TV every day since it and Sony seem to forget each other (symptom: i find the TV flashing between "no input" and "Apple TV video")

thanks Todd and everyone else. i hope the collective group can help me out there. (i'm not 100% convinced a factory reset will solve the problem, but i have some hope)
post #14456 of 19002 Old 04-06-2018, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Sony 65 X900E calibration settings...

I have been testing the various modes: Pro Cinema, Home Cinema, Custom and the Game mode.

Calibration equipment: Spectracal Calman and the X-rite i1 Display Pro.

Patterns: Spectracal Mobile Forge with Apple TV and the Xbox One X with Ted's Light Space Blu Ray.

There are slight differences between all of the modes.

The RGB controls are different depending on the mode you have selected.

I've seen people say all of the modes are the same and that is not accurate.

Your Red, Green and Blue settings are slightly different when using calibration gear.

Also the Brightness and Contrast work in conjunction with your gamma and your RGB settings.

For example Pro Cinema RGB settings are different than Home Cinema RGB settings.

Even when all other settings remain the same. There are slight differences that require tweaks...

To the RGB settings when measured at 30% and 80% as well as 30% and 100%

I'll post a video soon of a walk trough of the calibration process.
post #14457 of 19002 Old 04-06-2018, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

These calibrations or the best I have tried so far. Thanks for sharing. The blacks really do look great. I did turn down the color to my liking some along with motion settings.
post #14458 of 19002 Old 04-06-2018, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbeckta View Post
Sony 65 X900E calibration settings...

I have been testing the various modes: Pro Cinema, Home Cinema, Custom and the Game mode.

Calibration equipment: Spectracal Calman and the X-rite i1 Display Pro.

Patterns: Spectracal Mobile Forge with Apple TV and the Xbox One X with Ted's Light Space Blu Ray.

There are slight differences between all of the modes.

The RGB controls are different depending on the mode you have selected.

I've seen people say all of the modes are the same and that is not accurate.

Your Red, Green and Blue settings are slightly different when using calibration gear.

Also the Brightness and Contrast work in conjunction with your gamma and your RGB settings.

For example Pro Cinema RGB settings are different than Home Cinema RGB settings.

Even when all other settings remain the same. There are slight differences that require tweaks...

To the RGB settings when measured at 30% and 80% as well as 30% and 100%

I'll post a video soon of a walk trough of the calibration process.
In my latest measurements (European model 65XE9005, ColorMunki Display, HCFR), I noticed that Cinema Home and Cinema Pro have about 0.2 lower gamma with the same settings compared to the other modes, and that Vivid is in a blue world of its own.

But when it comes to grayscale and gamma, I measured the other modes as very similar to one other when all the settings are identical (slight variances that are barely bigger than measurement run to measurement run variances). I do turn off all the extra picture processing when measuring.
RUBEN PORTILLO likes this.

Last edited by babator; 04-06-2018 at 12:19 PM.
post #14459 of 19002 Old 04-06-2018, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiq21 View Post
Quote:

These calibrations or the best I have tried so far. Thanks for sharing. The blacks really do look great. I did turn down the color to my liking some along with motion settings.
Cool man. Glad to help

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
post #14460 of 19002 Old 04-06-2018, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Also, you can replace the AC cable going from the brick to the wall, so you don't have so much cord to deal with. I replaced mine with a 1-foot cord.

On my 65" the brick fits perfectly fine above the slim mounting brackets, between them at an angle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page