2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 498 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40345Likes

post #14911 of 19001 Old 04-23-2018, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb23 View Post
See above in red.
Probably yes. But you can just try it for now and see if you notice a difference. I don't have a PS4 Pro so I'm not sure how well it upscales lesser res content to 4K. Generally its more times than not best to let the TV do the upscaling. Especially the Sony sets.

LG 77C9 OLED Theatre Room- LG 65EF9500 OLED Living Room
Panasonic UB820 Blu-Ray Player - Denon X4500H AVR
Chord 2Qute DAC - Rogue RP-1 Pre Amp - Rogue Atlas Magnum II Tube Amp

Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Speakers--B&W HTM62 Center--Axiom QS4 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos Speaker Addons -- SVS PC-2000 SUBWOOFER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14912 of 19001 Old 04-23-2018, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1775 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
We're on the same page, Rico, and I thank you for your help and guidance these past months, you are the most helpful person in the thread.

That said, I think there's a frame of reference that needs to be taken into consideration when responding to posters especially those who aren't into 4K at all, just average people whose 2008 Sony XBR 1080p HDTV's are a decade old, lack smart features, and are ready for an upgrade. These people have a minimum expectation that any TV they can buy today will have the same picture quality they are used to on their 10-year-old panels and then have a realistic expectation that it will actually look better. So when they hire an installer, open it up, mount it, use the recommended settings, and fire up the Cable TV DVR and see a picture full of smears and artifacts bereft with motion problems it's a shocking situation, they can't believe that their old TV looks better than the brand new one. It goes against all consumer logic.

You and I know the answer really isn't "a weak cable signal will impact picture quality" because these people have had fantastic picture quality on their Sony 1080p panels for a decade! It's the fact that the TV manufacturers discontinued 1080p production, forced us all into 4K for no reason, and for the 90% of us who spend 90% of our time watching 720p/1080i Cable TV we're deceived and no one tells us the truth until we've made a purchase, hung it on a wall, and it's too late to turn back.

What I can tell you is that my 10 year old Sony had no motion issues, smearing, or pixelation and my brand new Sony has too much of it on the programming I watch the most like NFL, MLB, NHL, Golf, etc. Hey, it's off the charts wonderful when I watch 4K drone videos on YouTube and HDR filmed series on Amazon Prime, zero complaints. But, again, it's what I expected, I expected 4K HDR to look fantastic. What I didn't expect was for Cable TV to look worse and I've got Verizon Fios which is generally thought to be tops in bandwidth and picture quality.

So, IMO, when talking to newbs, it should be put in this context. Instead of starting with "tweak this" and "watch an obscure HDR program on Prime" start with "Cable TV content is going to look worse than on your old TV no matter what you do" and save us all the hours of button presses. It's a pointless exercise.
Well said - set expectations properly.
boltjames likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #14913 of 19001 Old 04-23-2018, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
If you're getting a picture now and have seen quality content - - your cables should be fine. The settings I have in the spreadsheet are the settings I use for all content. I'm curious to hear how changing your cable box to 720p output works. I tried them all with my Comcast provider and if I set it to 1080p (Comcast Xfinity - non 4K STB) - the picture was "softer."

Try the native apps. I believe they will look better than any of your PS content. Native apps certainly look better than my Roku Ultra streaming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by al210 View Post
Probably yes. But you can just try it for now and see if you notice a difference. I don't have a PS4 Pro so I'm not sure how well it upscales lesser res content to 4K. Generally its more times than not best to let the TV do the upscaling. Especially the Sony sets.
Thanks to both of you.

Rico, I will try this once I get home.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14914 of 19001 Old 04-23-2018, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 6397 Post(s)
Liked: 6395
Quote:
Please share your Sony 900E as well as cable provider settings. Impossible to troubleshoot unless we know basic parameters. Cable wise, you DO NOT want your cable box upscaling anything. Lastly - do you have an antenna? Checking uncompressed OTA channels against the same cable channel can be very enlightening. Don’t give up yet. I have a 75” and 49” Sony 900E and have been thrilled with the picture quality and performance

On the other hand, I sold my 4K Blu-ray player as I was underwhelmed and very disappointed in the lack of quality 4K/HDR discs (fake 4K - post processed 2K sources not shot with 4K cameras.).
This may be one of those time where what you put in is what you get out, well at least part of it. In the end the older TV's do better with worse content as that content was around more, as our display devises get better they do display this material worse as the crap material as it is played less and less....
post #14915 of 19001 Old 04-23-2018, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
This may be one of those time where what you put in is what you get out, well at least part of it. In the end the older TV's do better with worse content as that content was around more, as our display devises get better they do display this material worse as the crap material as it is played less and less....
Problem is, for many of us, the "crap material" is what we use our TV's for the most.

I can't speak for everyone, but the quality of movies released by the studios is at an all-time low, the major networks are cutting budgets markedly and struggling to maintain an audience, and the streamers like Netflix and Prime do a good job but release the fewest new titles.

While the wife and I may watch Kimmy Schmidt on Netflix or Mrs. Meisel on Prime, or find a movie that's good that we didn't see in theaters, that's only 10% of our total viewing experience. The other 90% is live NFL, MLB, NHL sports, live nightly local news, live local national news, an awards show, a documentary on Lifetime, a car show on Velocity, then the evening news, then a late night talkshow before bed.

And all those shows, all that content that comprises 90% of our viewing time, that's in good 'ol 1080i and 720p and on a 4K panel its all a step back from our old HDTV's. And let's face it- outside a few gamer/cord-cutter outliers 4K and HDR is just a gimmick. It's like 3D TV but with a smidge more content. But at least with the 3D scam there was no tradeoff to Cable TV picture quality like there is with 4K. It's just awful that the TV manufacturers decided to go down this path at a time when the TV industry is suffering and can't supply 4K content. There isn't even a roadmap to get the NFL or any other major sport into 4K programming. So we all are forced into TV's optimized for YouTube drone videos and de-optimized for what everyone is actually watching, it's a terrible scam.
post #14916 of 19001 Old 04-23-2018, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Problem is, for many of us, the "crap material" is what we use our TV's for the most.

I can't speak for everyone, but the quality of movies released by the studios is at an all-time low, the major networks are cutting budgets markedly and struggling to maintain an audience, and the streamers like Netflix and Prime do a good job but release the fewest new titles.

While the wife and I may watch Kimmy Schmidt on Netflix or Mrs. Meisel on Prime, or find a movie that's good that we didn't see in theaters, that's only 10% of our total viewing experience. The other 90% is live NFL, MLB, NHL sports, live nightly local news, live local national news, an awards show, a documentary on Lifetime, a car show on Velocity, then the evening news, then a late night talkshow before bed.

And all those shows, all that content that comprises 90% of our viewing time, that's in good 'ol 1080i and 720p and on a 4K panel its all a step back from our old HDTV's. And let's face it- outside a few gamer/cord-cutter outliers 4K and HDR is just a gimmick. It's like 3D TV but with a smidge more content. But at least with the 3D scam there was no tradeoff to Cable TV picture quality like there is with 4K. It's just awful that the TV manufacturers decided to go down this path at a time when the TV industry is suffering and can't supply 4K content. There isn't even a roadmap to get the NFL or any other major sport into 4K programming. So we all are forced into TV's optimized for YouTube drone videos and de-optimized for what everyone is actually watching, it's a terrible scam.
I agree. I personally did not know that I would be essentially taking a step back with regard to cable tv viewing experience when upgrading my tv. However.......I am cautiously optimistic that upgrading my cable box to a "4k box" (probably just supports 4k apps) will alleviate some of the issues I have.I also use my tv mostly for cable. Sh*y picture for nfl games isn't an option. I can say though...was watching a hockey game recently and it really looked good with no stuttery or blurry video. But channels will vary...

Edit: I'm with Comcast
boltjames likes this.
post #14917 of 19001 Old 04-23-2018, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

i come from a similar equipment upgrade (2008 Sony Bravia LCD panel (Z series, just below the XBR series at the tim). our saving grace is perhaps we don't use Cable. we have an antenna mounted in our attic, and so, at least for OTA material (1080i or 720p) which i let the TV upsample, my wife and i both find the picture on our 900e is an improvement over the 10 year old Sony Bravia.

1080p BR are also improved over the Bravia too...i think the better contrast ratio and wider color gamut are all improving even the sub-4K material.
boltjames, wavytoo and sk373 like this.
post #14918 of 19001 Old 04-23-2018, 03:52 PM

Watching bravo hd (my wife watches vanderpump rules)....the judder started to bother me again with motionflow = standard and cinemotion = medium...I'm back to smooth/high for now (at least for cable). I really can't stand the jerky video!
post #14919 of 19001 Old 04-23-2018, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 887
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. My cable is Optimum TV from NJ, what other settings can I get from the cable box? I'm not sure what you mean by cable provider settings. On the HD settings from the cable box I have 1080i, 16:9 and normal for the screen size. (Sorry not really an expert on these subjects). The settings on the 900E for HDMI1 for the cable box are actually yours from the spreadsheet , the only thing I changed was the motion to custom, smoothness=3, clearness=Min and cinemotion = low, plus your other settings.
I do not have an antenna, sorry.
See if your cable box has a Sharpness setting. Mine has this hidden in the service menu, and it was set on 3 (scale of 0-5). I lowered it to zero and my picture smoothed out quite a bit (was grainy before).

Anyway, i posted my initial settings back on 3/24 but kept trying other people's settings, but i keep coming back to variations of my own. Here are my current updated settings if you want to try them......

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post55912658

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #14920 of 19001 Old 04-23-2018, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
See if your cable box has a Sharpness setting. Mine has this hidden in the service menu, and it was set on 3 (scale of 0-5). I lowered it to zero and my picture smoothed out quite a bit (was grainy before).

Anyway, i posted my initial settings back on 3/24 but kept trying other people's settings, but i keep coming back to variations of my own. Here are my current updated settings if you want to try them......

I'm going to give your settings a try tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.
post #14921 of 19001 Old 04-23-2018, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreder75 View Post
Played some ps4 pro on my brother in law's x900e. Everything looked much the same as mine. There seems to be a microstutter in assassin's creed origins. He played some fortnite at 60fps, and the motion was basically the same.

I'm still getting used to led after so much time with plasma, but I'm growing fonder of the set. For normal tv, I bumped up the color a bit (55,I think? ) raised the sharpness to 65 (didn't realize 50 was actually zero lol), and lowered the contrast from 86 to 76. Has more depth that way. I also messed with motion for tv. Set flow to standard, with cinemotion to low. I think those were your recommendation earlier in the thread? Anyway, that is working out well for all tv content. Looks smooth, very little artifacts, no judder, newstickers don't blur, and no soe.
So the micro stuttering is kind of what I was getting in Far Cry 5, I tried it on my friends TCL - it was definitely worse. Interesting point I found is that if you can get it to stutter in panning around in the game - you can essentially 'lock' the 30hz frequency mode until you stop panning

Getting further into the stuttering/judder - I now have noticed it becoming more and more in other video formats - especially noticeable on my Apple TV 4k, none of this was noticeable before the update a few weeks ago, so i'm leaning that the update has some rubbish that is messing with the set. Gaming mode on mine whilst is faster on the response, makes FC5 completely unplayable with the judder being so poor - now I run games in animation mode.

One test I found with FC5 to reduce the judder was to turn 'Clear' setting in 'Motion' to the left - this considerably reduced the judder. I think the game is a little buggy too Huge artefacts around the weapons when panning.

For the other people who had their settings change with the update - mine did also, and have had to reset all the calibrated settings, colour is out, motion is out. I would love to downgrade the firmware if anyone knows how to do that? Im tempted to just factory reset it too - could be an android thing.
post #14922 of 19001 Old 04-23-2018, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Several of the recent posts have talked about expectations of new 4k owners and the problems they are having with cable signals looking worse than there old tvs. What I havn't heard is what the picture looks like on the Sony 900e via Dish or Direct satellite signals(i.e. Hopper 3 with HDMI out). Does the same motion, definition, blurring issues happen with those providers?

Vizio P75-F1, Denon AVR X4300H 7.1.4, Oppo 203, Panasonic UB820
Atlantic Technology THX speakers: System 20 LCR, System 20 SR,
IW-155SR's, IC-6 OBA, 272 PBM Sub, Kordz and PixelGen cables
post #14923 of 19001 Old 04-23-2018, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Gents, an open question about eye fatigue. I am finding my eyes are sore and tired from watching the picture. I am unsure if this is the high brightness these set can achieve or my settings are ****e.

Anyone else finding this or have had it happen?
post #14924 of 19001 Old 04-24-2018, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoBalls View Post
Gents, an open question about eye fatigue. I am finding my eyes are sore and tired from watching the picture. I am unsure if this is the high brightness these set can achieve or my settings are ****e.

Yes! I find this TV can fry my eyeballs it is so bright. I set a couple picture modes with much lower brightness and contrast and a warmer picture (less blue) in order not to get eye fatigue when viewing regular cable (which is trash quality anyway) and general viewing.

I still have standard and vivid if I am watching a movie or something that I need more brightness.
post #14925 of 19001 Old 04-24-2018, 12:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I had no picture quality issues watching directv with the genie set on native letting the 900e do the upscaling when I had the 900e. Picture quality on several channels (both 720p and 1080i) was excellent. I had no complaints of picture quality on my 900e when watching my directv and certainly not when watching 1080p and better content. I also went up 10” in size (65” to 75”) at the same distance (10.5ft) from my old 1080p TV.

Mine definitely had defective motion though. My replacement 900f is worlds better with motion. I pretty much watch directv on it with motionflow true cinema and cinemotion medium with no issues—that wasn’t possible on my defective 900e it would stutter and jitter too bad. That being said: I’m sure if my retailer would’ve have any other 900e units to send me instead of just the new f that my replacement 900e likely wouldn’t have had defective motion like my original placing it directly in line with my 900f. I spent several weeks with the 900e before giving up and assuming I was just extra sensitive to motion issues—then a bit later I decided to reach out to my retailer and they offered a replacement saying that Sony is the best at motion for a reason and that if I couldn’t be happy with any motion settings on my set it is probably defective. Take that how you will.
post #14926 of 19001 Old 04-24-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Thanks. I checked the box and couldn't find any sharpness settings. I'll try your settings tonight.
Thank you.
post #14927 of 19001 Old 04-24-2018, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Have any of you had issues with noise/graininess in brighter areas of a scene? I have noticed with this with older source material (Gladiator Blu Ray, Mission Impossible II). It is very noticeable in shots of a bright background sky. Almost looks like it is an up-conversion issue or contrast issue. It is noticeable on all picture setting modes, some more than others. Tried Bluray, HD DVD and Amazon app. Any ideas?
post #14928 of 19001 Old 04-24-2018, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Thanks. I checked the box and couldn't find any sharpness settings. I'll try your settings tonight.
Thank you.
For what it's worth the biggest problem with cable is garbage in -> garbage out. No matter what settings I use on my Cox cable box the colors always look washed out, and the compression artifacts (such as macro blocks when panning) are horrible. This is exacerbated by blowing the image up to 75" because they become much more apparent. Remember the signal your cable box gets is not clean, it's actually pretty horribly compressed.

I am not sure you will ever be satisfied with the quality of cable television compared to almost every kind of input. I sure am not. This pushed me to streaming as much content as possible because it is usually much better than cable.

You may find this small article interesting: https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-th...y-tvs-picture/
post #14929 of 19001 Old 04-24-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
If you're getting a picture now and have seen quality content - - your cables should be fine. The settings I have in the spreadsheet are the settings I use for all content. I'm curious to hear how changing your cable box to 720p output works. I tried them all with my Comcast provider and if I set it to 1080p (Comcast Xfinity - non 4K STB) - the picture was "softer."

Try the native apps. I believe they will look better than any of your PS content. Native apps certainly look better than my Roku Ultra streaming.

Hi Rico,

Update from yesterday, the only thing my cable box had was 720p option not native, so I changed it from 1080i to 720p. It seemed to help a bit only while using Cinema Home. When I tried your settings and NeedHelp123 settings I did not like it. While using 720p and Cinema Home most of the channels looked good but when I started watching the NBA on TNT I was disappointed again. I'm a big NFL fan and I'm afraid when the season starts I'll really be frustrated with this TV if I can't get the settings right. While watching the NBA, when the camera comes close to the players it looks awesome but when they show the game play from the further cameras it looks awful, all blurry and I can't see the players that well.

Thanks
post #14930 of 19001 Old 04-24-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic dog View Post
For what it's worth the biggest problem with cable is garbage in -> garbage out. No matter what settings I use on my Cox cable box the colors always look washed out, and the compression artifacts (such as macro blocks when panning) are horrible. This is exacerbated by blowing the image up to 75" because they become much more apparent. Remember the signal your cable box gets is not clean, it's actually pretty horribly compressed.

I am not sure you will ever be satisfied with the quality of cable television compared to almost every kind of input. I sure am not. This pushed me to streaming as much content as possible because it is usually much better than cable.

You may find this small article interesting: https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-th...y-tvs-picture/
I am not feeling satisfied at all right now. I am really considering bringing the TV back to best buy and keeping my 4 yr old 70 inch 1080p tv. I had no complaints with sports on my old TV and I cant stand sports in this 4k TV. Do you know if the NFL is going 4K any time soon?
Thanks for the article.
post #14931 of 19001 Old 04-24-2018, 08:22 AM

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiq21 View Post
Have any of you had issues with noise/graininess in brighter areas of a scene? I have noticed with this with older source material (Gladiator Blu Ray, Mission Impossible II). It is very noticeable in shots of a bright background sky. Almost looks like it is an up-conversion issue or contrast issue. It is noticeable on all picture setting modes, some more than others. Tried Bluray, HD DVD and Amazon app. Any ideas?
Try setting "X-Tended Dynamic Range" to OFF (or at least LOW) for non-HDR sources. I believe it defaults to HIGH for all sources and blows out whites/light colors with noisy/grainy artifacts. I do have X-Tended Dynamic Range set to HIGH for HDR.
post #14932 of 19001 Old 04-24-2018, 08:33 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 6397 Post(s)
Liked: 6395
Quote:
Watching "power" as we speak, the new "lost in space" before that, and I did want a good laugh so it took a while to get thru all of the "Two and a 1/2 men". I like the shows, I will have to watch as presented......

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 04-24-2018 at 08:36 AM.
post #14933 of 19001 Old 04-24-2018, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 173
A lot here are really complaining on cable content not looking watchable. Its obviously your provider and on how you 900E is setup. I have Sony's Vue streaming service for my "cable TV package" and I am quite pleased with the picture quality overall. Vue lets you stream on 5 devices simultaneously as well. I have it on all 3 TVs and my ipad and iphone. It has it quirks occasionally but I think it looks pretty good. I also have an OTA for my locals although Vue does have them as well. OTA looks a bit better than Vue. 4K Blu Rays look stunning and regular 1080 Blu Rays look great as well. Xbox OneX 4K gaming is also quite stunning. Maybe those that are having all these issues should re-check your settings or better yet try one of these streaming cable TVs services. They all offer a free trial period and are available right on your 900E android apps! I'm quite happy with my 900e and my content providers. No regrets on the purchase.

LG 77C9 OLED Theatre Room- LG 65EF9500 OLED Living Room
Panasonic UB820 Blu-Ray Player - Denon X4500H AVR
Chord 2Qute DAC - Rogue RP-1 Pre Amp - Rogue Atlas Magnum II Tube Amp

Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Speakers--B&W HTM62 Center--Axiom QS4 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos Speaker Addons -- SVS PC-2000 SUBWOOFER

Last edited by al210; 04-24-2018 at 09:10 AM.
post #14934 of 19001 Old 04-24-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
I had no picture quality issues watching directv with the genie set on native letting the 900e do the upscaling when I had the 900e. Picture quality on several channels (both 720p and 1080i) was excellent. I had no complaints of picture quality on my 900e when watching my directv and certainly not when watching 1080p and better content. I also went up 10” in size (65” to 75”) at the same distance (10.5ft) from my old 1080p TV.

Mine definitely had defective motion though. My replacement 900f is worlds better with motion. I pretty much watch directv on it with motionflow true cinema and cinemotion medium with no issues—that wasn’t possible on my defective 900e it would stutter and jitter too bad. That being said: I’m sure if my retailer would’ve have any other 900e units to send me instead of just the new f that my replacement 900e likely wouldn’t have had defective motion like my original placing it directly in line with my 900f. I spent several weeks with the 900e before giving up and assuming I was just extra sensitive to motion issues—then a bit later I decided to reach out to my retailer and they offered a replacement saying that Sony is the best at motion for a reason and that if I couldn’t be happy with any motion settings on my set it is probably defective. Take that how you will.
I'm taking this as I should reach out to my blue and yellow retailer and have them come take a look...
post #14935 of 19001 Old 04-24-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiq21 View Post
4k netflix content, yes. Specifically, marvel shows (very noticeable with large, solid, white backgrounds)
post #14936 of 19001 Old 04-24-2018, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Okay, I used to be able to keep up with this thread post to post, but wowzers, it’s a popular one...

What settings are people using for their Netflix non-HDR content for their Xbox/ PS4 apps?

As you may know, Netflix has HDR always on for the two consoles and it is making sdr (including 4K content like Narcos) look terrible.

Example. I was watching Narcos and during dark scenes all the blacks are crushed and the detail is lost. I was using my Cinema Home, which thought it was in HDR and it was ****. I messed around and turned black levels up to about 90 and what do you know, I could actually see detail, but obviously this created other issues, not to mention messes up my settings when I play true HDR content.

I’m thinking of setting up Custom as my Netflix sdr default. You guys messing with this at all and getting reasonable results? I tried turning HDR from auto to Off, but still will have to tweak the other settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65X900E
Xbox X
Denon X4300H
5.1.4- Klipsch RC-62 ii, R-26F, R-15M, R-10SW, Monoprice 8" Black Back Ceiling Speakers
post #14937 of 19001 Old 04-24-2018, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlambe View Post
So the micro stuttering is kind of what I was getting in Far Cry 5, I tried it on my friends TCL - it was definitely worse. Interesting point I found is that if you can get it to stutter in panning around in the game - you can essentially 'lock' the 30hz frequency mode until you stop panning

Getting further into the stuttering/judder - I now have noticed it becoming more and more in other video formats - especially noticeable on my Apple TV 4k, none of this was noticeable before the update a few weeks ago, so i'm leaning that the update has some rubbish that is messing with the set. Gaming mode on mine whilst is faster on the response, makes FC5 completely unplayable with the judder being so poor - now I run games in animation mode.

One test I found with FC5 to reduce the judder was to turn 'Clear' setting in 'Motion' to the left - this considerably reduced the judder. I think the game is a little buggy too Huge artefacts around the weapons when panning.

For the other people who had their settings change with the update - mine did also, and have had to reset all the calibrated settings, colour is out, motion is out. I would love to downgrade the firmware if anyone knows how to do that? Im tempted to just factory reset it too - could be an android thing.
Micro stutter in AC origins was a thing on pc, too, so maybe far cry is the same?

Fwiw, I don't notice any stutter with tv shows. 24 fps content like film, etc, is never going to look as smooth as the news or a sports broad cast unless you use interpolation.

Back to gaming, that flicker while panning is always going to be there on 30fps games because it holds each frame twice before rendering the new one. Why 30fps is still a thing in 2018 is beyond me. Guess they'd target visuals over fluidity of motion
post #14938 of 19001 Old 04-24-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Micro stutter in AC origins was a thing on pc, too, so maybe far cry is the same?

Fwiw, I don't notice any stutter with tv shows. 24 fps content like film, etc, is never going to look as smooth as the news or a sports broad cast unless you use interpolation.

Back to gaming, that flicker while panning is always going to be there on 30fps games because it holds each frame twice before rendering the new one. Why 30fps is still a thing in 2018 is beyond me. Guess they'd target visuals over fluidity of motion
The motion certainly is interesting - as I never noticed it before this game. All other games looks perfect. People have been mentioning that the gameplay is smooth because of the 30fps - which to me (and maybe im more sensitive to it) is far from smooth.

For content, yes I turn interpolation on a touch - avoiding the soap opera effect, but ensuring that the moving picture is good to my eye.
post #14939 of 19001 Old 04-24-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlambe View Post
So the micro stuttering is kind of what I was getting in Far Cry 5, I tried it on my friends TCL - it was definitely worse. Interesting point I found is that if you can get it to stutter in panning around in the game - you can essentially 'lock' the 30hz frequency mode until you stop panning [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]

One test I found with FC5 to reduce the judder was to turn 'Clear' setting in 'Motion' to the left - this considerably reduced the judder. I think the game is a little buggy too [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG] Huge artefacts around the weapons when panning.

Which is likely the case for me with god of war on ps4 with hdr enabled (assuming the flicker is like a frame skip or the appearance somewhat stuttery output). Trying to get in touch with the rep who sold me the x900 and tell her what I've been experiencing to see what she recommends...
post #14940 of 19001 Old 04-24-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoBalls View Post

I found that this TV was super bright, and if you are having a hard time watching this at night - definitely upgrade to BIAS lighting.

Like my other TV's before this one, once you experience the lighting, its hard to watch it without it.

Better blacks, contrast, and zero eye strain.

Price - usually around the $30-50 mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0369.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	2395022  
Furyus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags