Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma
This may be one of those time where what you put in is what you get out, well at least part of it. In the end the older TV's do better with worse content as that content was around more, as our display devises get better they do display this material worse as the crap material as it is played less and less....
Problem is, for many of us, the "crap material" is what we use our TV's for the most.
I can't speak for everyone, but the quality of movies released by the studios is at an all-time low, the major networks are cutting budgets markedly and struggling to maintain an audience, and the streamers like Netflix and Prime do a good job but release the fewest new titles.
While the wife and I may watch Kimmy Schmidt on Netflix or Mrs. Meisel on Prime, or find a movie that's good that we didn't see in theaters, that's only 10% of our total viewing experience. The other 90% is live NFL, MLB, NHL sports, live nightly local news, live local national news, an awards show, a documentary on Lifetime, a car show on Velocity, then the evening news, then a late night talkshow before bed.
And all those shows, all that content that comprises 90% of our viewing time, that's in good 'ol 1080i and 720p and on a 4K panel its all a step back from our old HDTV's. And let's face it- outside a few gamer/cord-cutter outliers 4K and HDR is just a gimmick. It's like 3D TV but with a smidge more content. But at least with the 3D scam there was no tradeoff to Cable TV picture quality like there is with 4K. It's just awful that the TV manufacturers decided to go down this path at a time when the TV industry is suffering and can't supply 4K content. There isn't even a roadmap to get the NFL or any other major sport into 4K programming. So we all are forced into TV's optimized for YouTube drone videos and de-optimized for what everyone is actually watching, it's a terrible scam.