2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 500 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40381Likes

post #14971 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
Rico, you should reconsider the "check your cabling" advice that you often give. Those complaining about the 900E's substandard Cable TV picture quality are doing so because earlier that same day that their new 4K panel was installed the picture quality looked stellar on their old 1080p panel. Nothing happened with the cable outside their house in the 5 minutes between the old TV going out and the new TV going in.

What would be better is to just tell them the truth- the 900E, like all 4K panels, make Cable TV look worse and it's something they have to live with.
Not necessarily true. My Spectrum cable picture quality looks much better on my 55X900E than it does on my highly-regarded 1080p 55W800B, and even beats my 55ST60 Plasma in most PQ categories. Same for a friend who upgraded from a 43" Sony 1080p LCD to a UHD 49X800C a few years ago with Cox Cable. I'm very happy with the improvement at my house. My RG6 cable drop from the pole in the alley was replaced well over 20 years ago.

Having installed or setting up Plasma and LCD TVs for people all over Southern California over the years and comparing their Cable PQ to the Antenna signal (i keep Rabbit Ears in my installation tub in case they don't have an antenna), i've found that Cable signal quality varies widely from town to town. My own signal is pretty good, but at my MIL's house 10 miles away her Spectrum PQ is noticeably worse than Antenna despite recent cabling upgrades in her neighborhood. The same Plasma TV that looked great in my house was kinda grainy when i moved it to her house.

Ricoflashback and Majcric like this.

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14972 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
It was just a general suggestion and part of a checklist to get the best possible signal you can.

By the way - the Celtic/Buck basketball game on NBA TV is outstanding. Very, very, clear picture. If you are not getting the same results then I suspect it's a cable or satellite provider issue
Rico, first off I owe you an apology, I shouldn't be criticizing the advice you give others as you give the best advice in this thread. I feel bad I said that, I'm sorry.

Now.....I think I have some good news.....inspired by you and the opinions of others who are having minimal issues with cable content I spent 4 hours last night tweaking my settings like a madman and I think I've landed somewhere really good. Can you take a look at these and let me know your thoughts? Again, optimized for cable programming only- live sports, live news broadcasts, live latenight talk shows, NFL, MLB, NHL, Golf.

Mode:
Cinema Home
Auto Picture Mode Off
Brightness 40
Color 42
Light Sensor Off

Brightness:
Brightness 40
Contrast 95
Gamma 0
Black Level 50
Black Adjust High
Adv Contrast Enhancer Medium
Auto Local Dimming Medium
X-tended Dynamic Range Off

Color:
Color 42
Hue 0
Temp Expert 1
Live Color High
Advanced Color Temp Defaults

Clarity:
Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Manual
Resolution 20
Mastered in 4K Off
Random Noise Reduction Low
Digital Noise Reduction Off
Smooth Gradation Off

Motion:
Motionflow Standard
Smoothness 3
Clearness 0
CineMotion High

Video Options:
HDR Mode Auto
HDMI Range Limited
Color Space Auto

The main changes I made were to a) reduce contrast, b) reduce color, c) turn off x-tended dynamic range, d) enabled analog noise reduction. This finally helps the green grass on a baseball diamond stop vibrating like buzzing bees, the whites on baseball uniforms stop shining too brightly, and screen dooring and pixelating.

If you have a moment and since we know you have stellar cable TV sports performance, can you input these settings and let me know what it looks like on your 65" 900E?
dsb23 likes this.
post #14973 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 07:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
It's not normal. I do not have this band around my TV display.
I must have gotten two lemons in that case. I was slightly off axis that was casing it to look a 1/2 inch on 900e, I would say it’s only 1/4 and mostly noticeable in a darkened room.

You make me want go check otherled/lcd screens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14974 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
I have Directv Now and the pq is leaps and bounds better than when I had Comcast.
Thanks. Another one to try.
post #14975 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Rico, first off I owe you an apology, I shouldn't be criticizing the advice you give others as you give the best advice in this thread. I feel bad I said that, I'm sorry.

Now.....I think I have some good news.....inspired by you and the opinions of others who are having minimal issues with cable content I spent 4 hours last night tweaking my settings like a madman and I think I've landed somewhere really good. Can you take a look at these and let me know your thoughts? Again, optimized for cable programming only- live sports, live news broadcasts, live latenight talk shows, NFL, MLB, NHL, Golf.

Mode:
Cinema Home
Auto Picture Mode Off
Brightness 40
Color 42
Light Sensor Off

Brightness:
Brightness 40
Contrast 95
Gamma 0
Black Level 50
Black Adjust High
Adv Contrast Enhancer Medium
Auto Local Dimming Medium
X-tended Dynamic Range Off

Color:
Color 42
Hue 0
Temp Expert 1
Live Color High
Advanced Color Temp Defaults

Clarity:
Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Manual
Resolution 20
Mastered in 4K Off
Random Noise Reduction Low
Digital Noise Reduction Off
Smooth Gradation Off

Motion:
Motionflow Standard
Smoothness 3
Clearness 0
CineMotion High

Video Options:
HDR Mode Auto
HDMI Range Limited
Color Space Auto

The main changes I made were to a) reduce contrast, b) reduce color, c) turn off x-tended dynamic range, d) enabled analog noise reduction. This finally helps the green grass on a baseball diamond stop vibrating like buzzing bees, the whites on baseball uniforms stop shining too brightly, and screen dooring and pixelating.

If you have a moment and since we know you have stellar cable TV sports performance, can you input these settings and let me know what it looks like on your 65" 900E?
Boltjames - no problema. Lots of great advice from many participants on this thread including yourself.

As far as your settings go - - they look fine to me. I hesitate to change anything on my sets as I'm dialed in, I think, to the best picture I can get right now and I've been enjoying the various sports and TV shows including Amazon Prime & Netflix streaming. (Shows like "The Blacklist," "The Americans," "Billions" and many streaming movies & series from Amazon Prime & Netflix).

Here's the kicker - - at least to me....source content is the number one variable we all face. And by that, I mean your cable or satellite provider. That is where most of the variances occur. Streaming wise - - I think everyone can agree that the content and picture quality is pretty good as long as you have a decent internet connection. Same for an "OTA" signal - - most of us agree that it looks great on our Sony 900E's.

Cable and satellite sources and their quality can vary widely. Once you eliminate the other variables that you can control like the strength of your signal, your cables (adequate high speed cables) and cable/satellite settings (let your Sony 900E do all the "upscaling") - - you get down to what works best for your individual situation. And personal preferences - - what pleases your eyes is what counts here. No right or wrong setting, IMHO, outside of extremes on either side.

You are dead on in that older 1080P TV's handle inferior signals better than 4K TV's that magnify signal imperfections on their way to being upscaled to 4K. But I think you can get close - real close to what you had with your 1080P TV and far exceed it with a quality 4K or 4K/HDR source. And even plain old Blurays as upscaled by your Sony 900E look fantastic.

Sometimes we take a couple steps forward and a step back with technology.
boltjames and djdel002 like this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #14976 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedHelp123 View Post
I haven't noticed this either but will check tonight
It is mostly noticeable in a darkened room on dark content. It just looks like where the bezel is ever so slightly pressing against the screen causing it to have a very faint glow. Notiacle on both sides pretty equal.
post #14977 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mons0160 View Post
Okay, I used to be able to keep up with this thread post to post, but wowzers, it’s a popular one...

What settings are people using for their Netflix non-HDR content for their Xbox/ PS4 apps?

As you may know, Netflix has HDR always on for the two consoles and it is making sdr (including 4K content like Narcos) look terrible.

Example. I was watching Narcos and during dark scenes all the blacks are crushed and the detail is lost. I was using my Cinema Home, which thought it was in HDR and it was ****. I messed around and turned black levels up to about 90 and what do you know, I could actually see detail, but obviously this created other issues, not to mention messes up my settings when I play true HDR content.

I’m thinking of setting up Custom as my Netflix sdr default. You guys messing with this at all and getting reasonable results? I tried turning HDR from auto to Off, but still will have to tweak the other settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is my example

Non HDR content on Netflix app forcing HDR. Cinema Home

Me jacking the black levels way up to get the details back but a washed out image.

I did end up getting Custom dialed in to looks pretty good (not the pic above). I kept comparing to the my other true HDR content go-to setting. In overly dark or light scenes the typical Cinema Home/ Pro settings are damn near black screens or eye scorching.

Sony XBR65X900E
Xbox X
Denon X4300H
5.1.4- Klipsch RC-62 ii, R-26F, R-15M, R-10SW, Monoprice 8" Black Back Ceiling Speakers
post #14978 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majcric View Post
I must have gotten two lemons in that case. I was slightly off axis that was casing it to look a 1/2 inch on 900e, I would say it’s only 1/4 and mostly noticeable in a darkened room.

You make me want go check otherled/lcd screens
I have noticed on my 65x900e this same band you have described...but it's only on the left side of the screen. It is very faint and you are right, it extends only 1/2" along the entire vertical but I don't think anything about it as it is only noticeable on dark scenes.

After hearing about some of the horror stories with "panel lotteries", dealing with Sony customer service or replacement sets I can live with it.
post #14979 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6669 Post(s)
Liked: 6666
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_tr View Post
Good luck with the remote. Should be able to get a replacement. Mine you have to point it right at the tv to work. I been struggling with settings also. Checked on pro calibration and was $500. Just to much for me to spend. Got my Spears and Munsil HD Benchmark disk yesterday. Calibrated the standard and custom. Looks pretty good now. Have not had any luck with the other modes. Not sure if just my TV but they look bad. Good luck.
You have to look at the value of your TV for sure when considering calibration. 55X900E at $1000, $500 to calibrate is probably not worth it. 75X900E at $2500, now you have to think about it.....
Airsculpture likes this.
post #14980 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Is the X900E operating system nice? I am used to WebOS 3.5 and the ability to direct play from a DLNA server and Plex. I figure that Android would be more free/open and potentially could install 3rd party apps so I'm actually excited to make the jump to Android, but just wanted to verify it wasn't some sort of Sony-Locked Android. Thanks
post #14981 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewahl View Post
I have noticed on my 65x900e this same band you have described...but it's only on the left side of the screen. It is very faint and you are right, it extends only 1/2" along the entire vertical but I don't think anything about it as it is only noticeable on dark scenes.

After hearing about some of the horror stories with "panel lotteries", dealing with Sony customer service or replacement sets I can live with it.

Have you tried squaring up with your TV straight center to see if this eliminates what you're seeing. Once I'm set dead straight in front of the TV, it looked like the 1/2" I was seeing went to 1/4" and not nearly as noticeable. But moving just ever so slightly off center makes the band grow to 1/2".

I believe most people won't see this unless they're coming from plasma.
post #14982 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
You have to look at the value of your TV for sure when considering calibration. 55X900E at $1000, $500 to calibrate is probably not worth it. 75X900E at $2500, now you have to think about it.....

Agreed. My calibration was half price at Can$150 so well worth it in relation to the cost of the set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65X900E, Oppo UDP-203 Universal Player
Front L&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds & Rears - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Marantz SR6012
post #14983 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1681 Post(s)
Liked: 4902
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb23 View Post
Thanks. Another one to try.
No prob. I tried to send you a message also but your pm's are disabled.
post #14984 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstl View Post
Is the X900E operating system nice? I am used to WebOS 3.5 and the ability to direct play from a DLNA server and Plex. I figure that Android would be more free/open and potentially could install 3rd party apps so I'm actually excited to make the jump to Android, but just wanted to verify it wasn't some sort of Sony-Locked Android. Thanks
It's not as snappy and fast like an mid/high android phone, but works ok most of the time, also the app store is not exactly the same as the one with the phones, so the apps should be designed for AndroidTV platform, anyways, sideload apps It's quite easy and got a lot of added value whit that.
post #14985 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Boltjames - no problema. Lots of great advice from many participants on this thread including yourself.

Sometimes we take a couple steps forward and a step back with technology.
Rico (and anyone else with a 900E) can you please go to YouTube using the built-in app and watch this video on your 900E:

No, not because of the review of the 900E, forget that. Please look at the white stucco ceiling in the upper left corner and let me know if you see what I see- which is a motionless image that is vibrating like a swarm of bees, all pixelated, looks like a screen door even though the camera isn't moving.

Perhaps I have a defective panel but this white stucco ceiling looking like a vibrating blur is what I'm experiencing and it's making me crazy.

If you (and others too, please) could watch this video on the YouTube app built-in to your 900E's and let me know if you see the same thing it would help me greatly.

Thanks.
post #14986 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Rico (and anyone else with a 900E) can you please go to YouTube using the built-in app and watch this video on your 900E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvxP-DuBaBw

No, not because of the review of the 900E, forget that. Please look at the white stucco ceiling in the upper left corner and let me know if you see what I see- which is a motionless image that is vibrating like a swarm of bees, all pixelated, looks like a screen door even though the camera isn't moving.

Perhaps I have a defective panel but this white stucco ceiling looking like a vibrating blur is what I'm experiencing and it's making me crazy.

If you (and others too, please) could watch this video on the YouTube app built-in to your 900E's and let me know if you see the same thing it would help me greatly.

Thanks.
Is that with the latest settings you posted? I can try it later when I get out from work.
post #14987 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Is that with the latest settings you posted? I can try it later when I get out from work.
Yes, even with the new settings I posted which look really really good to me for cable TV it still is doing that distortion/vibration in that example video. If you can watch that video on the settings that make you happy on the YouTube app built-in to the 900E I'd appreciate it, let me know what you see in that white stucco ceiling area under the lamp. Thanks!
post #14988 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by mons0160 View Post
Here is my example

Non HDR content on Netflix app forcing HDR.

I did end up getting Custom dialed in to looks pretty good (not the pic above). I kept comparing to the my other true HDR content go-to setting. In overly dark or light scenes the typical Cinema Home/ Pro settings are damn near black screens or eye scorching.
Why not just turn hdr off in the ps4 or hdmi enhanced with the 900E when watching stuff that isn't in hdr?

Turning off hdr isn't convenient yet it seems like it'd make more sense than screwing around with a setting to try and fix Netflix's stupid decision.

Or better yet, why not just use the 900E's internal Netflix app that isn't screwed up?
post #14989 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I have found the X-TENDED DYNAMIC RANGE set to anything other than OFF for non-HDR sources (such as OTA and CABLE TV) really distorts, blows-out, whites giving them that "too shiny" noisy look.
boltjames and mons0160 like this.
post #14990 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 02:09 PM
KVW

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by otimus View Post
Asking this question here, that I also asked on Roku's forum, as it pertains to these TV, and I'm just not sure if it's the TV, the Roku App, the Roku itself, or what, and I'd like any help anyone can provide:

This problem is bugging the heck out of me. Everything has been fine for a couple of days since I got the thing, but now, for seemingly no reason (I've changed nothing since the initial set up of the TV, and before anyone asks, the settings are on on my TV to enable 4K HDR 60 on the supported HDMI ports, it's a Sony X900E. I know that's the problem people always suggest first. It's not that!) The problem is this: When I first set everything up, 1080p 60 on youtube worked fine. 4K 60? Also fine. 4K 60 HDR? Fine too!

Come yesterday (and still now), not so. 1080p 60 works... on some 1080p/60 youtube videos (but not all), 4K 60 videos are playing back in 4K at 30 FPS. Likewise with 4K 60 HDR. (The HDR works, though!).

This is only with youtube, too, on the Stick. I don't know a way to test 4K 60 HDR on it outside of youtube, but 4K 60 works on Plex just fine, and every other app is doing what it's supposed to be doing normally. It's just youtube. (I've also ran every speed test I can possibly run. I've got pretty fast internet (300Mb down/50 Up), and the wifi connection to the Roku seems ultra-stable by all metrics I have that I can test it. Other wifi devices are fine. I'm able to consistently get 4K/60 on the TV's built in youtube app (it can't do HDR, though) and I'm also able to consistently get 1080p/60 on my PS4. Is this normal? Is it a Youtube problem? is it a problem with the stick?

Oh, also, some youtube HDR videos have a slight... I guess flicker? Every few seconds, for like a milisecond, the screen will flash black. Doesn't happen with all HDR videos, but it happens with a good few. (For example, if you find the HDR LG test video of like.. chess or something? It's one of the videos on the HDR channel on youtube). Is that normal? It only happens with youtube. Nothing else.

Edit: Here's a video of a video that should be 60 fps, as well as flickering with HDR:

My video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyqUqslBiD0

Original video I'm watching in the clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RIDhA9c8qw
Did you ever find a solution to your problem?

I've been digging through this massive thread pretty heavily and your problem appears to be similar to an issue I'm seeing on my 75" x900e though yours looks worse than mine. Based on your youtube video showing the problem, it happens much less frequently and with a bit less intensity on mine thankfully but still bothers me nonetheless.

Best way to describe it is like the 'picture blinking out for just a fraction of a second' and is easy to miss on regular content but is much more obvious on static screens like when hooked up to a PC and viewing this website for example. Seems to occur several minutes in-between. But now that I know what to look for, I actually even see it in the TV's own smart apps so I know it's not my hdmi cable or anything. It actually makes me wonder if it's happening on a lot of these x900e TVs but the general joe-blow consumer doesn't notice it - my wife doesn't but she sees it in your example video.

Has anyone else noticed it? Watch his video for a more extreme example of it.

Your LCD lags. Learn about input lag and be disenchanted by your expensive LCD set.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_lag

Last edited by KVW; 04-25-2018 at 02:25 PM.
post #14991 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Stucco sucko

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvxP-DuBaBw

Thanks.
I also saw the stucco vibrating on my 55" 900 E as well. Will check my 65" 930 E later but I checked on in a 24" LG 1080p TV I use as a monitor and saw something if I looked real close. I then checked in on a Samsung UN46EH5300 1080p set and it looked even worse. I also saw it on my 930E. Interestingly, after pausing the playback the ceiling image was either partially there or all there. Not sure how much of the problem is in the video itself, camera or how TV's deal with that kind of object.
boltjames likes this.

Last edited by iraweiss; 04-26-2018 at 06:18 AM. Reason: added comments
post #14992 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KVW View Post
Did you ever find a solution to your problem?

I've been digging through this massive thread pretty heavily and your problem appears to be similar to an issue I'm seeing on my 75" x900e though yours looks worse than mine. Based on your youtube video showing the problem, it happens much less frequently and with a bit less intensity on mine thankfully but still bothers me nonetheless.

Best way to describe it is like the 'picture blinking out for just a fraction of a second' and is easy to miss on regular content but is much more obvious on static screens like when hooked up to a PC and viewing this website for example. Seems to occur several minutes in-between. But now that I know what to look for, I actually even see it in the TV's own smart apps so I know it's not my hdmi cable or anything. It actually makes me wonder if it's happening on a lot of these x900e TVs but the general joe-blow consumer doesn't notice it - my wife doesn't but she sees it in your example video.

Has anyone else noticed it? Watch his video for a more extreme example of it.
I've had it happen on my 930E, usually just during the evening news. I do a restart and it's fine.
post #14993 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 03:27 PM
KVW

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraweiss View Post
I've had it happen on my 930E, usually just during the evening news. I do a restart and it's fine.
Interesting. I admit I haven't tried that which is pretty silly of me (troubleshooting step 1), but I've seen the issue since before the latest firmware upgrade and I know the TV goes through a full restart after that. I'll try it as soon as I get home. Maybe it's one of those things where you just have to concede to have to unplug the tv periodically to keep issues like this at bay. I'll report back after. Appreciate the input.

Your LCD lags. Learn about input lag and be disenchanted by your expensive LCD set.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_lag
post #14994 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraweiss View Post
I also saw the stucco vibrating on my 55" 900 E as well. Will check my 65" 930 E later but I checked on in a 24" LG 1080p TV I use as a monitor and saw something if I looked real close. I then checked in on a Samsung UN46EH5300 1080p set and it looked even worse. Not sure how much of the problem is in the video itself, camera and how TV's deal with that kind of object.
It's a relief it's not just me. That stucco vibration is what the green infield grass looks like on every shot from centerfield on YES Yankees games, same for NFL Football on FOX, same for Golf on NBC, drives me crazy, can't get rid of it. My new settings that I posted this morning in this thread helped, but it's still there.

Last edited by boltjames; 04-25-2018 at 03:47 PM.
post #14995 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJHebert View Post
I have found the X-TENDED DYNAMIC RANGE set to anything other than OFF for non-HDR sources (such as OTA and CABLE TV) really distorts, blows-out, whites giving them that "too shiny" noisy look.
Definitely, it's one of my main takeaways from this thread in recent weeks, just how bad XDR is for Cable TV. I did a ton of A/B testing during my all-nighter last night tweaking and getting my picture improved and this was a main culprit of the distortion I was seeing on bright white sports uniforms and such.
BJHebert likes this.
post #14996 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Still less than a week with my new 900e 65 inch. Thanks to the great help from this thread for helping me get everything dialed in. So far I've got HDR working through Netflix streaming and from my UDP-800 Sony player. One thing I can't seem to figure out is how to get 4k on the native Amazon app on the TV. I've checked out titles I know are available that way (such as Bosch), but all I can see is the HD version - no indication anywhere that 4k or HDR is available. With Netflix I had to up my subscription by $3 a month. Is there something I have to do on Amazon to make these show up? I've searched the thread, googled, etc and can't seem to find the answer. Thanks.
post #14997 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstl View Post
The Sony OS is basic Android TV, but has bloatware added and is slow as a turd. Personally I like WebOS on my OLED, it I use dedicated streamers on all my TVs. nVidia Shield is my go to,streamer that also is basic Android TV, but I am warming up to ATV4K.Roku is for my wife's TV since it is simple to use and is the only steamer that does YouTube HDR.

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #14998 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Hi Guys and Gals,

Bought the 900E 75 inch on Friday and to be honest I'm feeling frustrated and thinking about returning it to Best Buy. I was messing with setting all weekend long and can't find a sweet spot for me. Cable TV looks awful, Blurays and PS4 Pro look pretty awesome but sometimes dull at some points. I tried several of the setting from the spreadsheet on this forum. Is this because it is my first 4K tv and I'm having a hard time getting used to it? I'm coming from a 70 inch 1080p led and I really liked it. I bought the Pro and thought I would get a 4K TV, but I might just go back to the 1080p. Any thoughts, recommendations, settings are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Quote:
Yes, that's the dirty little secret that they don't tell you at Best Buy or in this thread for that matter as most here are in love with the 900E and are hardcore gamers, cable-cutters, and streamers who barely watch any regular TV from a cable provider.

Compared to a 1080p panel, Cable TV looks worse on a 4K panel and if you went up a size that is exacerbating the issue. You can tweak it all day and night it's not going to make a difference. Still shots and TV news looks stellar, but NFL crowds look like a blur, MLB grass vibrates, Golf panning is painful, for live sports or any content that relies on motion it's a major step back. So, yes, if you want superior picture quality believe it or not you either have to go back to your 1080p panel or stay with 4K and go down a size to 65". This isn't the 900E's fault. It's the TV companies forcing us all to buy over-spec'd panels in an attempt to generate revenue. If you want a new big screen TV it's going to be 4K, no other options, and you're going to be disappointed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackReilly View Post
Several of the recent posts have talked about expectations of new 4k owners and the problems they are having with cable signals looking worse than there old tvs. What I havn't heard is what the picture looks like on the Sony 900e via Dish or Direct satellite signals(i.e. Hopper 3 with HDMI out). Does the same motion, definition, blurring issues happen with those providers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic dog View Post
For what it's worth the biggest problem with cable is garbage in -> garbage out. No matter what settings I use on my Cox cable box the colors always look washed out, and the compression artifacts (such as macro blocks when panning) are horrible. This is exacerbated by blowing the image up to 75" because they become much more apparent. Remember the signal your cable box gets is not clean, it's actually pretty horribly compressed.

I am not sure you will ever be satisfied with the quality of cable television compared to almost every kind of input. I sure am not. This pushed me to streaming as much content as possible because it is usually much better than cable.

You may find this small article interesting: https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-th...y-tvs-picture/

Atomic Dog said it best with "garbage in, garbage out", but there's more to the story than that.

Firstly, certain content providers have better controls available on the set-top boxes. What you're really going for is to allow ALL of the output formats and then allowing the box to playback any/all content in its original format. The box should NOT be configured to support only 1080 as an output format because that will cause the box to upscale content below 1080 and then everything gets upscaled in the TV to 4K. That means that a LOT of content will get upscaled twice, and that's BAD because the process of upscaling introduces artificial (fake) pixels. Double upscaling does this twice, and you can end up with a terrible picture.

Second, it's important to understand that of the four major networks, two of them broadcast in 720! That's right... ABC and FOX programming tops out at 720 for resolution, and those channels can look slightly "washed out" for some programming.

Quote:
Rico, you should reconsider the "check your cabling" advice that you often give. Those complaining about the 900E's substandard Cable TV picture quality are doing so because earlier that same day that their new 4K panel was installed the picture quality looked stellar on their old 1080p panel. Nothing happened with the cable outside their house in the 5 minutes between the old TV going out and the new TV going in.

What would be better is to just tell them the truth- the 900E, like all 4K panels, make Cable TV look worse and it's something they have to live with.
Cabling from the street to the house (and within the house) shouldn't really have any impact on the picture quality. it's a digital transmission, and the set-top box either decodes it or it doesn't. In some cases, there may be noticeable pixelation. But, a degradation in PQ on a more subtle level shouldn't be a concern.
wavytoo, Furyus and dsb23 like this.
post #14999 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, even with the new settings I posted which look really really good to me for cable TV it still is doing that distortion/vibration in that example video. If you can watch that video on the settings that make you happy on the YouTube app built-in to the 900E I'd appreciate it, let me know what you see in that white stucco ceiling area under the lamp. Thanks!
Hi,

I saw the same thing no matter what settings are used. But I really think that's a poor quality video and that may be why?
post #15000 of 19188 Old 04-25-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
I kind of thought the 900e was one of the better calibrated TVs out the box anyway from everything I’ve read. I think putting $500 in a calibration would be a hard squeeze but I could be wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page