2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 502 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40346Likes

post #15031 of 19002 Old 04-26-2018, 11:44 AM
KVW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Scott View Post
I've noticed something similar but only on a basically white screen. When I'm not using my TV to watch videos, it's doing PC monitor duty. I've noticed that when the screen is almost all white like a File Explorer window is open, the screen will occasionally blink for a fraction of a second. It's barely noticeable and it doesn't happen often enough to be a problem but it is a concern. I'm talking about 3 or 4 times an hour or less. I also have noticed the blink happens in conjunction with some barely audible ticking noise coming from the power brick. It's as if the power supply is doing a self check, going into protection mode, or it's thermal expansion related. But I've never seen it happen on HDR or SDR video content.
That was my initial fear too. That it was hardware related and that it may possibly be the power supply or something to do with the FALD LED backlight system. And if it was the power supply in particular, that's a bigger concern for 75" users since our power source isn't external. But the fact that power cycling has any sort of effect on it is leaning me back towards software. It's definitely something to keep an eye on though. I have several old school CCFL LCD TVs in my house, some of them about 10 years old and still working great (LG 47LH30 or Panasonic 32LZ800 for example). I would really like to see this TV make it that long but it seems the added complexity of "smart TVs" means more possible things to fail and reading forums will have you feeling paranoid. Flip side to that, there's some comfort in knowing if others are experiencing the same, solutions are more likely to be found.

Your LCD lags. Learn about input lag and be disenchanted by your expensive LCD set.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_lag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15032 of 19002 Old 04-26-2018, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb23 View Post
Hi,

Could you be more specific on why the new ones are no longer a good buy?

Thanks
The 1/2" perimeter light band issue has come up more than a few times commencing with sets bought in late 2017. Since mine was an early 2017 purchase, and has no issues whatsoever with the panel, my (specious) conclusion is that perhaps the more recently produced sets have cut costs which affect the legendary performance most on these boards have observed. Simply put, the retail price began to fall during the Summer last year, and more so with the impending introduction of the 900F. Maybe Sony plans for this, and starts cutting manufacturing costs as the set no longer commands a premium. That would explain why defects started appearing in later units produced than in the original units.

Of course I have no proof of this, merely an explanation for why this defect may be appearing at this time. Either way, if this issue is present in most sets now, then I'd suggest it's not as a good a deal as when it was when I bought my absolutely perfect panel set.
dsb23 likes this.
post #15033 of 19002 Old 04-26-2018, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
The 1/2" perimeter light band issue has come up more than a few times commencing with sets bought in late 2017. Since mine was an early 2017 purchase, and has no issues whatsoever with the panel, my (specious) conclusion is that perhaps the more recently produced sets have cut costs which affect the legendary performance most on these boards have observed. Simply put, the retail price began to fall during the Summer last year, and more so with the impending introduction of the 900F. Maybe Sony plans for this, and starts cutting manufacturing costs as the set no longer commands a premium. That would explain why defects started appearing in later units produced than in the original units.

Of course I have no proof of this, merely an explanation for why this defect may be appearing at this time. Either way, if this issue is present in most sets now, then I'd suggest it's not as a good a deal as when it was when I bought my absolutely perfect panel set.

Now I really want to return mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15034 of 19002 Old 04-26-2018, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by al210 View Post
There are really no differences in the picture modes. These specific modes that have a preset adjustment for certain viewing environments. You should be able to set Cinema Pro and custom up with the same exact settings and the picture should look no different. Also under your custom settings you have black level at 57. Is that a typo because that setting is way too high. The black level adjustment on these sets is a very coarse adjustment. A change of "1" is a lot so 7 up from 50 is a big jump. I'm at 49 on my set with the AVS calibration disk test patterns.
Got home from work and first thought would try using my PS3. I could not ever hardly see the bars in the contrast no mater what I did. Went back to my 4k player. Having the Adv contrast control on was really throwing off the black level. I also turned off Black adjust and Live color. Now back level back to 50. I see a lot of people using Expert 1 for the color temp. On my adjust screen says to adjust until you get the best grey. For me that is cool. Expert 1 looks really off.
post #15035 of 19002 Old 04-26-2018, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagranttwo View Post
The link of the image with the stripe issue didn't properly format. I attached a picture of the green and pink stripe issue. My apologies!

Hey guys,

Like flagranttwo, I also had the pleasure of seeing this today for the first time when turning on my set.

I've had my 65" 900e for about a month and a half and has been fine. Unplugged, plugged back in and Android rebooted and now it's fine again.

Anyone else see have this happen? Hope this won't be an ongoing thing.

Hope flagranttwo doesn't mind me borrowing his photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180420_185306.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	2396000  

Sony 65" X900E Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-Ray Roku Ultra, Apple TV 4K
Onkyo TX-nr656
Polk S15s, S35 and TL1 satellite rears, TL1 satellite heights Atmos 5.1.2
HSU VTF-2 MK5

Last edited by djdel002; 04-26-2018 at 01:16 PM.
post #15036 of 19002 Old 04-26-2018, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdel002 View Post
Hey guys,

Like flagranttwo, I also had the pleasure of seeing this today for the first time when turning on my set.

I've had my 65" 900e for about a month and a half and has been fine. Unplugged, plugged back in and Android rebooted and now it's fine again.

Anyone else see have this happen? Hope this won't be an ongoing thing.

Hope flagranttwo doesn't mind me borrowing his photo.
I've had that with my 65 850D a few times. I also just reset power and a reboot fixed. I think this is more common than not especially with electronics these days. Their gonna have a few hiccups from time to time. I wouldn't worry about it unless it was frequently doing this.

Sony 75X900E 4K
Marantz SR7011 Parasound Halo A52+
Klipsch RF7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's, RP500SAs Atmos
SVS Dual SB13 Ultra's
Oppo UDP-203 4K Sony PS4 Pro Panamax 5300PM
post #15037 of 19002 Old 04-26-2018, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I don't know if every ones experience is like mine but my picture keeps getting better the more this tv ages the blacks look great on it. I very seldom notice blooming any more.
RUBEN PORTILLO likes this.
post #15038 of 19002 Old 04-26-2018, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by omston View Post
I don't know if every ones experience is like mine but my picture keeps getting better the more this tv ages the blacks look great on it. I very seldom notice blooming any more.

It's either that or we're just getting used to it
post #15039 of 19002 Old 04-26-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Now I really want to return mine.
What size is your 900e? I only have the 55" so I'm just going to live with my glow. But I could imagine this on a 65/75 being a real eye sore.

If you're looking for a replacement the 930e is a nice set, better speakers, stand, brightness and just overall build quality, imo of course. Just be warned you will see flash lighting on menu screens before the panel kicks into drive. Owning a FALD already might take some getting used to this.
post #15040 of 19002 Old 04-26-2018, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just received the 55" 2 days ago, build date Jan 2018 and im getting buzzing noise from the right speaker.

I tried updating the firmware, different sources, different sound settings to no avail.

Still thinking if i should ask for a replacement or try Sony warranty repair.
post #15041 of 19002 Old 04-26-2018, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_tr View Post
Got home from work and first thought would try using my PS3. I could not ever hardly see the bars in the contrast no mater what I did. Went back to my 4k player. Having the Adv contrast control on was really throwing off the black level. I also turned off Black adjust and Live color. Now back level back to 50. I see a lot of people using Expert 1 for the color temp. On my adjust screen says to adjust until you get the best grey. For me that is cool. Expert 1 looks really off.
Adv contrast, black adj... etc. Those “false picture enhancements” should always be off for calibration. I personally never use them but some people like the effect they give. Expert1 works but the gray scale needs adjusted. I needed to set red gain @-4 and blue gain at -7 using my colorimeter and Calman mobile forge gray test patterns.
bradman likes this.

LG 77C9 OLED Theatre Room- LG 65EF9500 OLED Living Room
Panasonic UB820 Blu-Ray Player - Denon X4500H AVR
Chord 2Qute DAC - Rogue RP-1 Pre Amp - Rogue Atlas Magnum II Tube Amp

Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Speakers--B&W HTM62 Center--Axiom QS4 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos Speaker Addons -- SVS PC-2000 SUBWOOFER
post #15042 of 19002 Old 04-26-2018, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majcric View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedHelp123 View Post
I haven't noticed this either but will check tonight
It is mostly noticeable in a darkened room on dark content. It just looks like where the bezel is ever so slightly pressing against the screen causing it to have a very faint glow. Notiacle on both sides pretty equal.
Checked for this tonight and didn't notice what you've described

Edit: someone mentioned possibly timing of purchase being related...fwiw, I don't notice this on my set and I purchased in March
post #15043 of 19002 Old 04-26-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I haven't noticed this either but will check tonight
It is mostly noticeable in a darkened room on dark content. It just looks like where the bezel is ever so slightly pressing against the screen causing it to have a very faint glow. Notiacle on both sides pretty equal.
Sorry, did not even turn the tv on last night. Wife will not be home tonight so I would be playing and will take a look.

I also plan on doing some testing with native apps and standard Blu-rays to check/test motion. Will report tonight
Quick update...I watched some netflix (1080 and 4k) as well as played a few Blu-rays on my ps3...and I can say that motion looks so much better than cable. After switching settings back and forth, it looks like custom smoothness at 3 and cinemotion at medium is as good as it's going to get. Motion is nearly flawless. Fingers crossed that an updated xfinity box helps.
post #15044 of 19002 Old 04-27-2018, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I've been seeing a lot of posts about motion issues. I have become pretty disillusioned with this aspect as well. While it keeps getting said that you get used to LCD motion over time, for me it's been the opposite. Coming from plasma, I thought motion was ok at first, but over time the Sony's performance has bugged me more and more. Even going back and forth comparing same content with my plasma (since moved to another room) as well as my 14yo Sony LCD, it's a night and day difference in most content. Sometimes the Sony's motion will ok, but often times it's as if it's only showing like 15fps and is a stuttering mess. No combination of motion settings does anything to mitigate it except for cranking SOE way up high, and even then it's still not buttery smooth like a lot of stuff should be at that level of SOE. Also seems to be just as many people praising how good motion is on these, so it really makes me think something is up, and that people who say motion is fine are likely right, as well people who say it's bad are also likely right. Something not consistent set to set.

Anyhow, warranty is just about up on mine, and recently came across a mainboard + tcon from a new broken (cracked screen) set for about $50, so picked that up to do a little experiment. If there is any real issue, I don't imagine an issue with the panel itself would be causing it. When I receive the parts, I'm going to swap 1 board at a time and see what happens. It'll be interesting to see if the performance changes at all. It would be nice if it did, and for the better, but I'm pretty much expecting the exact same performance. None the less, seems like a worthwhile experiment since I should be able to flip those parts on ebay and get what I put in back if nothing changes. Stay tuned.
post #15045 of 19002 Old 04-27-2018, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C17chief View Post
I've been seeing a lot of posts about motion issues. I have become pretty disillusioned with this aspect as well. While it keeps getting said that you get used to LCD motion over time, for me it's been the opposite. Coming from plasma, I thought motion was ok at first, but over time the Sony's performance has bugged me more and more. Even going back and forth comparing same content with my plasma (since moved to another room) as well as my 14yo Sony LCD, it's a night and day difference in most content. Sometimes the Sony's motion will ok, but often times it's as if it's only showing like 15fps and is a stuttering mess. No combination of motion settings does anything to mitigate it except for cranking SOE way up high, and even then it's still not buttery smooth like a lot of stuff should be at that level of SOE. Also seems to be just as many people praising how good motion is on these, so it really makes me think something is up, and that people who say motion is fine are likely right, as well people who say it's bad are also likely right. Something not consistent set to set.

Anyhow, warranty is just about up on mine, and recently came across a mainboard + tcon from a new broken (cracked screen) set for about $50, so picked that up to do a little experiment. If there is any real issue, I don't imagine an issue with the panel itself would be causing it. When I receive the parts, I'm going to swap 1 board at a time and see what happens. It'll be interesting to see if the performance changes at all. It would be nice if it did, and for the better, but I'm pretty much expecting the exact same performance. None the less, seems like a worthwhile experiment since I should be able to flip those parts on ebay and get what I put in back if nothing changes. Stay tuned.
Hello - what source type(s) and motion settings are most frequently used?
post #15046 of 19002 Old 04-27-2018, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
I've had that with my 65 850D a few times. I also just reset power and a reboot fixed. I think this is more common than not especially with electronics these days. Their gonna have a few hiccups from time to time. I wouldn't worry about it unless it was frequently doing this.

Thanks cchunter! I won't worry about it too much then.

Sony 65" X900E Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-Ray Roku Ultra, Apple TV 4K
Onkyo TX-nr656
Polk S15s, S35 and TL1 satellite rears, TL1 satellite heights Atmos 5.1.2
HSU VTF-2 MK5
post #15047 of 19002 Old 04-27-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
What size is your 900e? I only have the 55" so I'm just going to live with my glow. But I could imagine this on a 65/75 being a real eye sore.

If you're looking for a replacement the 930e is a nice set, better speakers, stand, brightness and just overall build quality, imo of course. Just be warned you will see flash lighting on menu screens before the panel kicks into drive. Owning a FALD already might take some getting used to this.
75 but I don't see this glow around the edge. I factory reset it this morning and I'm packing it up this afternoon to return it. The picture quality for cable sucks and I even tried PS Vue and still sucked. I'll wait for the TV channels to catch up with 4k before buying another one.
post #15048 of 19002 Old 04-27-2018, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6409 Post(s)
Liked: 6404
post #15049 of 19002 Old 04-27-2018, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Curious what everyone is using in regards to BluRay player settings. I picked up an Sony x700 which can upconvert 1080p to 4K, but my understanding is the 900e has a beast of a processor for upscaling. Best choice to output 1080p from the player and let the 900e take care of things?
post #15050 of 19002 Old 04-27-2018, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiq21 View Post
Curious what everyone is using in regards to BluRay player settings. I picked up an Sony x700 which can upconvert 1080p to 4K, but my understanding is the 900e has a beast of a processor for upscaling. Best choice to output 1080p from the player and let the 900e take care of things?

If the player has a "native" setting that would be great. Basically, just let it pass the signal and let the 900 do its work.
post #15051 of 19002 Old 04-27-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkpro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctiq21 View Post

If the player has a "native" setting that would be great. Basically, just let it pass the signal and let the 900 do its work.
Agreed...I use ps3 and it passes native 1080p to the tv (through an avr), and I tested a bit last night and it looked really nice. Watched a bit of Transformers and Underworld Awakening...the latter especially looked crystal clear
post #15052 of 19002 Old 04-27-2018, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
75 but I don't see this glow around the edge. I factory reset it this morning and I'm packing it up this afternoon to return it. The picture quality for cable sucks and I even tried PS Vue and still sucked. I'll wait for the TV channels to catch up with 4k before buying another one.
The picture quality sucks? I'm seriously baffled by this statement but to each their own I guess.

Sony 75X900E 4K
Marantz SR7011 Parasound Halo A52+
Klipsch RF7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's, RP500SAs Atmos
SVS Dual SB13 Ultra's
Oppo UDP-203 4K Sony PS4 Pro Panamax 5300PM
post #15053 of 19002 Old 04-27-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
You're probably making the right decision doing a return as there is no need to have unnecessary Buyers Remorse.

Upon further expecting the 900e and comparing it more to the 930e I have came to the conclusion that what I'm seeing is from a design used on the 900e. For example, the 930's screen runs almost flush with the bezel, the 900e on the other hand the screen runs under the bezel. Right where the screen goes intact with the bezel from my theory is causing the glow/banding on the 900e. What I'm seeing is very, very faint to point most people wouldn't notice. Perhaps there are some sets out there that doesn't have this problem, less pressure from the Bezel is my guess.
post #15054 of 19002 Old 04-27-2018, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post

What would be better is to just tell them the truth- the 900E, like all 4K panels, make Cable TV look worse and it's something they have to live with.
Gosh must be your settings, coming from a 40" Sony my Optimum cable looks great! Of course everyones eyes see things differently. Just glad mine are telling me the PQ looks great!

Sony XBR-55X900E
Roku 3
Windows 10 PC /KODI/Media Player/VLC/CyberlinkPowerDVD
Philips DVP640 >> Sony UBP X-800 Harmony One
Yamaha RX-V592
post #15055 of 19002 Old 04-27-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C17chief View Post

If you don’t mind my asking on what content are you noticing these motion issues... I’m assuming sports but I’ve never been motion sensitive anyway. Any specific content and I’ll try checking it on my set
post #15056 of 19002 Old 04-27-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
The picture quality sucks? I'm seriously baffled by this statement but to each their own I guess.
The blurays and PS4 Pro look awesome. The cable and even PS Vue suck. I was really excited when I bought this TV because of all the good things I read online. Unfortunately I ended up disappointed with how the TV channels look. Not sure if there's something wrong with this unit but being that the blurays and PS4 look great I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Quote:
You're probably making the right decision doing a return as there is no need to have unnecessary Buyers Remorse.

Upon further expecting the 900e and comparing it more to the 930e I have came to the conclusion that what I'm seeing is from a design used on the 900e. For example, the 930's screen runs almost flush with the bezel, the 900e on the other hand the screen runs under the bezel. Right where the screen goes intact with the bezel from my theory is causing the glow/banding on the 900e. What I'm seeing is very, very faint to point most people wouldn't notice. Perhaps there are some sets out there that doesn't have this problem, less pressure from the Bezel is my guess.
yea that makes sense. I really wish the TV content would look better so I can keep it. The ps4 looks awesome.
post #15057 of 19002 Old 04-27-2018, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by al210 View Post
There are really no differences in the picture modes. These specific modes that have a preset adjustment for certain viewing environments. You should be able to set Cinema Pro and custom up with the same exact settings and the picture should look no different. Also under your custom settings you have black level at 57. Is that a typo because that setting is way too high. The black level adjustment on these sets is a very coarse adjustment. A change of "1" is a lot so 7 up from 50 is a big jump. I'm at 49 on my set with the AVS calibration disk test patterns.
There are differences between modes,https://referencehometheater.com/rev...00e-tv-review/
post #15058 of 19002 Old 04-28-2018, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Don’t know if this came up before but I am now having issues with my 65” 900e and am curious if anyone else has the same. Lately, when I power on my system or change modes, my tv audio switches off of the external speaker setting. I also get a tv message stating that speaker has changed to external ( wrong ) and if there was no sound to change to hdmi 3. I have changed receivers and with the prior one I didn’t experience this. I am now using a AVR X1400H Denon. Any one ?
post #15059 of 19002 Old 04-28-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheifert1 View Post
Don’t know if this came up before but I am now having issues with my 65” 900e and am curious if anyone else has the same. Lately, when I power on my system or change modes, my tv audio switches off of the external speaker setting. I also get a tv message stating that speaker has changed to external ( wrong ) and if there was no sound to change to hdmi 3. I have changed receivers and with the prior one I didn’t experience this. I am now using a AVR X1400H Denon. Any one ?
Have you reseated the hdmi cable (both ends)/tried a different cable? This is worth checking.

Only similar issue I'm having is with ARC and native apps (netflix). If stop the sound (switch shows, start show over, pause, anything), the sound stops and I have to switch hdmi inputs then back for the sound to come in again. It is a gigantic pita. I don't have the latest software as I have not installed the last update (yet).
post #15060 of 19002 Old 04-28-2018, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I will try reconnecting and see what happens. Otherwise I’m lost. All equipment has all latest updates. Just a major pain in the a**.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page