2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 504 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40368Likes

post #15091 of 19060 Old 04-30-2018, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
So I’m watching the Pens/Caps hockey game and I first looked at my Comcast cable NBC feed. Then I switched to my OTA NBC channel. What a difference. The Comcast picture is good but the OTA quality is outstanding. Near Blu-ray quality (1080i). Deep colors (especially the Caps jerseys).

The graphics on the top left of the screen are incredibly sharp and clear. When they put the graphic up on the leading, active playoff goal scorers, the teeny logo for Patrick Marleau of the Toronto Maple Leafs was clear as a bell — and I’m talking about real tiny print.

If you have access to over the air broadcasts, I’d strongly suggest you get an antenna, either indoor (if you are close enough) or outdoor (or hang it in your attic if you have a ranch home).

The PQ difference is worth it, IMHO, for live sports on the major broadcast channels.
No doubt. The PQ on the OTA feed was quite stunning on the 900E.
Ricoflashback likes this.

LG 77C9 OLED Theatre Room- LG 65EF9500 OLED Living Room
Panasonic UB820 Blu-Ray Player - Denon X4500H AVR
Chord 2Qute DAC - Rogue RP-1 Pre Amp - Rogue Atlas Magnum II Tube Amp

Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Speakers--B&W HTM62 Center--Axiom QS4 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos Speaker Addons -- SVS PC-2000 SUBWOOFER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15092 of 19060 Old 04-30-2018, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by C17chief View Post
Just about all content from all sources. This is really what makes me think something may be up and prompted me to try this little experiment since the opportunity presented itself to do this at no cost finding the parts so cheap (assuming I can unload them anyways if nothing changes). While there have been several posts about motion, another thing that prompted me to try this is the guy relatively recently posting about what I'm pretty much seeing that returned his for a 900F and now has no such issues. I cant do that nor am I really interested in ditching mine for another model. Results vary widely of course when your talking everything from lower bitrate youtube vids to 4k bluray and everything in between, as lower quality content has those issues in the source. Besides comparing the same content on sets in my home which are not as big nor 4k, I've also kept an eye on same/similar content on our break room tv at work which is the same size 4k LCD, but a cheap RCA, even though it's far less of a direct comparison without having exact same source hardware and no viewing right next to eachother or bouncing room to room seconds apart. Even the work tv seems generally better. Best way I can describe it is it's almost like having a baseline of stuttering across the board, then add to it any that exists in low quality content inherently which amplifies it.

One pretty extreme example I can think of off the top of my head is the new Rosanne series on ABC. This show is pretty choppy on ALL sets I have viewed it on, regardless of the source (OTA via internal tuner, FiOS via TiVo, and streamed via Hulu), but on my X900 it's just a complete blury stuttering mess with any significant scene movement that isn't even remotely enjoyable to watch never mind minor annoyance of gee could be smoother. Good content has the same look (as far as motion goes) as lower quality content on my other sets. Another weird bit is the less movement on the screen the better it is and vice versa. Like talking heads with tickers running across the bottom ala news channels etc, tickers are fine, even quick sudden movement of heads and hands are fine, but if there is much more movement on the screen, even at the same rate of movement, such as panning, stutter city. Speaking of panning, I don't think I have ever seen a smooth pan on this set, regardless of fast/slow, content/source, or setting combination. Even prime network stations OTA with good bitrate, and even SOE cranked up via smooth or standard and cinemotion med or high wont give a smooth pan. Smother than more normal settings or no interpolation yes, but not at the level you would think with SOE so high.

Anyhow, the boards are due in today. I'm going to start doing the swaps within the next few days and see what happens.
Either your panel is defective or your really sensitive to movement. Some people are. You have a faster processor in your brain. No, seriously did you by chance go to a local store and see if you notice the same thing? You just maybe over sensitive and might be better off with an OLED set. My other set is an older generation OLED and it does have slightly better motion than my 900e. I've only noticed a motion issue now and again but it was always with a bad feed. I have seen nothing even close to what you are describing.

LG 77C9 OLED Theatre Room- LG 65EF9500 OLED Living Room
Panasonic UB820 Blu-Ray Player - Denon X4500H AVR
Chord 2Qute DAC - Rogue RP-1 Pre Amp - Rogue Atlas Magnum II Tube Amp

Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Speakers--B&W HTM62 Center--Axiom QS4 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos Speaker Addons -- SVS PC-2000 SUBWOOFER
post #15093 of 19060 Old 04-30-2018, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
XBR 75X900E and Onkyo TX-SR608 - ARC troubleshooting

Hi all

I am passing the 900E built in apps sound to my old Onkyo TX-SR608 via HDMI 3 ARC. ARC is enabled in the settings on the old AVR and the whole set up is working fine. By that i mean the 900E remote is controlling the AVR sound and powers it on/off as well as passing the sound from TV apps. Although the latter sometimes (very rarely and mostly after messing around with sound settings) stops working (no sound at all passed to the AVR). After a restart, things seem to return to normal.

However, it seems that it's not always passing 5.1 correctly - in some apps i only get stereo sound, like youtube for example.

I played with the various audio options in the TV menu. DD, DD+, PCM... Auto 1 and 2... Cant seem to solve this. Is anyone else having similar issues?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by tefloncoated; 04-30-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15094 of 19060 Old 04-30-2018, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tefloncoated View Post
Hi all

I am passing the 900E built in apps sound to my old Onkyo TX-SR608 via HDMI 3 ARC. ARC is enabled in the settings on the old AVR and the whole set up is working fine. By that i mean the 900E remote is controlling the AVR sound and powers it on/off as well as passing the sound from TV apps. Although the latter sometimes (very rarely and mostly after messing around with sound settings) stops working (no sound at all passed to the AVR). After a restart, things seem to return to normal.

However, it seems that it's not always passing 5.1 correctly - in some apps i only get stereo sound, like youtube for example.

I played with the various audio options in the TV menu. DD, DD+, PCM... Auto 1 and 2... Cant seem to solve this. Is anyone else having similar issues?

Thanks in advance!
What other apps? I think most YouTube vids are only 2 channel anyway. Have you tried netflix, Amazon, or media files (ie running off of a thumb drive)?
post #15095 of 19060 Old 04-30-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedHelp123 View Post
What other apps? I think most YouTube vids are only 2 channel anyway. Have you tried netflix, Amazon, or media files (ie running off of a thumb drive)?
The Amazon and Netflix seem to work... Unless the limitation was with the YouTube app itself, the videos i tried were supposed to be 5.1

I have not tried the media files off attached devices - i dont really have a use case for that option. I can try though. I also heard that our 900Es do not support 5.1 pass through from attached devices... which probably accounts for the lack of 5.1 sound on the PS4 (stereo only) that's attached to via HDMI 2.
post #15096 of 19060 Old 04-30-2018, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
When was the hdr10 update? im on a old update from September I believe. I'm kinda hesitat to update.
post #15097 of 19060 Old 04-30-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
The Amazon and Netflix seem to work... Unless the limitation was with the YouTube app itself, the videos i tried were supposed to be 5.1

I have not tried the media files off attached devices - i dont really have a use case for that option. I can try though. I also heard that our 900Es do not support 5.1 pass through from attached devices... which probably accounts for the lack of 5.1 sound on the PS4 (stereo only) that's attached to via HDMI 2.
I have my ps4 hooked up to my tv directly and have watched media on a thumb dive....5.1 worked fine via arc
post #15098 of 19060 Old 04-30-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I have my ps4 hooked up to my tv directly and have watched media on a thumb dive....5.1 worked fine via arc
Ok, cool! Thank you for letting me know. Could I ask you to post your tv sound settings? Want to make sure mine are correct
post #15099 of 19060 Old 04-30-2018, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Just about all content from all sources. This is really what makes me think something may be up and prompted me to try this little experiment since the opportunity presented itself to do this at no cost finding the parts so cheap (assuming I can unload them anyways if nothing changes). While there have been several posts about motion, another thing that prompted me to try this is the guy relatively recently posting about what I'm pretty much seeing that returned his for a 900F and now has no such issues. I cant do that nor am I really interested in ditching mine for another model. Results vary widely of course when your talking everything from lower bitrate youtube vids to 4k bluray and everything in between, as lower quality content has those issues in the source. Besides comparing the same content on sets in my home which are not as big nor 4k, I've also kept an eye on same/similar content on our break room tv at work which is the same size 4k LCD, but a cheap RCA, even though it's far less of a direct comparison without having exact same source hardware and no viewing right next to eachother or bouncing room to room seconds apart. Even the work tv seems generally better. Best way I can describe it is it's almost like having a baseline of stuttering across the board, then add to it any that exists in low quality content inherently which amplifies it.

One pretty extreme example I can think of off the top of my head is the new Rosanne series on ABC. This show is pretty choppy on ALL sets I have viewed it on, regardless of the source (OTA via internal tuner, FiOS via TiVo, and streamed via Hulu), but on my X900 it's just a complete blury stuttering mess with any significant scene movement that isn't even remotely enjoyable to watch never mind minor annoyance of gee could be smoother. Good content has the same look (as far as motion goes) as lower quality content on my other sets. Another weird bit is the less movement on the screen the better it is and vice versa. Like talking heads with tickers running across the bottom ala news channels etc, tickers are fine, even quick sudden movement of heads and hands are fine, but if there is much more movement on the screen, even at the same rate of movement, such as panning, stutter city. Speaking of panning, I don't think I have ever seen a smooth pan on this set, regardless of fast/slow, content/source, or setting combination. Even prime network stations OTA with good bitrate, and even SOE cranked up via smooth or standard and cinemotion med or high wont give a smooth pan. Smother than more normal settings or no interpolation yes, but not at the level you would think with SOE so high.

Anyhow, the boards are due in today. I'm going to start doing the swaps within the next few days and see what happens.
Skip the swaps, dump the set. You're not going to be happy with it. You must see something countless owners and every reviewer of the set haven't noticed. I would have gotten rid of the thing in two days if it had performed the way yours has.
post #15100 of 19060 Old 04-30-2018, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Quote:

Can't speak to files, but the 900e passes DD 5.1, DTS and DD+ from any connected source, via ARC. And yeah, good luck with 5.1 via YouTube.
post #15101 of 19060 Old 04-30-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Ok, cool! Thank you for letting me know. Could I ask you to post your tv sound settings? Want to make sure mine are correct
Sure, what specifically? IIRC there is only one option and that's external or tv speakers...it's set to external. If there is another option you'd like me to check I'm happy to do so
post #15102 of 19060 Old 04-30-2018, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
Currently trying to decide on whether or not to pick up one of these 900E flavors, or go with the new TCL 6 series.

Two BIG things for me are viewing angles and motion with quick paced video games. I'm currently still rocking my Panasonic Plasma P65VT50 from 2012....so my expectations are pretty high for both of those categories. LOL.

Any thoughts/comments?
I read reviews that all said viewing angles were an issue.While it is true that the deepest blacks are seen head on like any TV, I watch my TV from the patio where the angle is about 55 or 60 degrees and the brightness is about the same but the contrast diminishes. In my opinion it is still very watchable. I mean everybody is different, but compared to my 75850C's IPS panel this TV is much more watchable at angle. My old 850C really washed out at angle far worse in my opinion.

I have no problems with the PS4 or XBONE. Supposedly this panel has fairly low latency for a 4k TV. It's just too bad most games are 30FPS because that is always noticeable -some games I actually play with motion smoothing just to get the illusion of more FPS.
post #15103 of 19060 Old 04-30-2018, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by james138 View Post
I just got a 75" 900e yesterday. Three times this morning I think the tv may have turned it self on! Anybody have any experience with this?
Yes that's happened to me, early on. It rarely if ever turns itself on now. It's been maybe 6 months since I last noticed that.

Unfortunately, it still occasionally refuses to turn on, forcing me to unplug it from the wall for 15 minutes and doing a complete reboot, when all I want to do is plop down on the couch and veg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackblades View Post
When was the hdr10 update? im on a old update from September I believe. I'm kinda hesitat to update.
It's always had hdr10.
post #15104 of 19060 Old 04-30-2018, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Quote:

I’m probably that guy you’re referring to. My retailer didn’t have anymore e’s in stock and offered to send me an f. Here’s the thing: I’m about to be on my third 900f too. My first one had awesome motion but a cluster of dead pixels in the center of the screen, my second one has motion as bad as my 900e had but it arrived with the top of the frame bent and my third one comes this week. From what I’ve seen personally either they can come with motion defects so if you’re able I’d suggest trying to get an exchange. Since you’re switching boards I’m assuming your past that stage though. I would like to know if it clears it up for you.

I doubt I have a motion sensitivy problem. It’s possible but based on my personal experience I’m guessing if it’s so bad it’s unwatchable that it’s defective in most people’s cases.
post #15105 of 19060 Old 05-01-2018, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Sure, what specifically? IIRC there is only one option and that's external or tv speakers...it's set to external. If there is another option you'd like me to check I'm happy to do so
Thank you! yeah that one is good to go.

If you scroll down on the home menu to Settings item then:

Settings-Sound-Digital Audio out - what do you have?

and also:

Settings-Sound-Sound Adjustments-Advanced Settings-Input related
post #15106 of 19060 Old 05-01-2018, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked: 1264
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman View Post
Skip the swaps, dump the set. You're not going to be happy with it. You must see something countless owners and every reviewer of the set haven't noticed. I would have gotten rid of the thing in two days if it had performed the way yours has.
I'd have to agree with this statement. At some point, you have to make a decision whether the squeeze is worth the juice. Unless you're stuck with the set - I'd never contemplate swapping out boards or any tinkering with any of the internals of the TV.

Maybe it's bad luck or maybe the original poster received bad panels, etc. -- but the result is the same - it's not working. This is supposed to be a fun hobby. Like the other poster who is unhappy with standard broadcasts or even PS Vue streaming on the Sony 900E - - if you don't like the picture, return it and move on. Eventually, you'll find a solution that meets or exceeds your expectations.
TonyS and Furyus like this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 05-01-2018 at 05:28 AM.
post #15107 of 19060 Old 05-01-2018, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
That wasn't necessary.

If I were attempting to upgrade from a 2008 Sony 55" and were that disillusioned with the 2017 Sony 65" 900E I'd buy a well maintained preowned 2015 65" Sony 1080p HDTV for $500 and be very happy with the results. The market will continue to be flush with gently used Sony 1080p HDTV's for the foreseeable future as cord-cutters upgrade to 4K.

Thanks Boltjames,

I did not have to buy anything because I still had my 70 1080p, its only like 3 years old. I don't think they sell 1080p at the stores anymore, right? I bought the ps4 pro and wanted to go 4k on the TV. I didn't research enough to know that the cable channels would not look good, PS4 and bluray movies looked stunning but not TV channels. My 1080p is good enough for now. I'll try 4k again a few years down the road. I don't need 4K and I'm happy with how my 3 year old 1080p TV looks with anything I throw at it.
boltjames likes this.
post #15108 of 19060 Old 05-01-2018, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have watched 3 HRD movies from Google Play and could not tell if they where HDR or not. Just read that google play does not support hdr on android tv. Is this still true? Do I need to break out my Chromecast?

Last edited by brian_tr; 05-01-2018 at 10:54 AM.
post #15109 of 19060 Old 05-01-2018, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb23 View Post
thanks boltjames,

i did not have to buy anything because i still had my 70 1080p, its only like 3 years old. I don't think they sell 1080p at the stores anymore, right? I bought the ps4 pro and wanted to go 4k on the tv. I didn't research enough to know that the cable channels would not look good, ps4 and bluray movies looked stunning but not tv channels. My 1080p is good enough for now. I'll try 4k again a few years down the road. I don't need 4k and i'm happy with how my 3 year old 1080p tv looks with anything i throw at it.
lmfao
post #15110 of 19060 Old 05-01-2018, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
So I’m watching the Pens/Caps hockey game and I first looked at my Comcast cable NBC feed. Then I switched to my OTA NBC channel. What a difference. The Comcast picture is good but the OTA quality is outstanding. Near Blu-ray quality (1080i). Deep colors (especially the Caps jerseys).

The graphics on the top left of the screen are incredibly sharp and clear. When they put the graphic up on the leading, active playoff goal scorers, the teeny logo for Patrick Marleau of the Toronto Maple Leafs was clear as a bell — and I’m talking about real tiny print.

If you have access to over the air broadcasts, I’d strongly suggest you get an antenna, either indoor (if you are close enough) or outdoor (or hang it in your attic if you have a ranch home).

The PQ difference is worth it, IMHO, for live sports on the major broadcast channels.
So luckily for me, I thought the NBC was pretty good with my comcast. Do you need an antenna for OTA or can I still get that through the coaxial cable?
post #15111 of 19060 Old 05-01-2018, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 6511 Post(s)
Liked: 6483
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic dog View Post
I read reviews that all said viewing angles were an issue.While it is true that the deepest blacks are seen head on like any TV, I watch my TV from the patio where the angle is about 55 or 60 degrees and the brightness is about the same but the contrast diminishes. In my opinion it is still very watchable. I mean everybody is different, but compared to my 75850C's IPS panel this TV is much more watchable at angle. My old 850C really washed out at angle far worse in my opinion.
Its a great thing, when problem solve themselves !
mgh26 likes this.
post #15112 of 19060 Old 05-01-2018, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I'm not really sure how much of any of this means anything, but it looks like there is a new website www.txhstandard.com that scores products based on their measurements and it looks like the 900e is tops on the display list for now

http://www.thxstandard.com/#!/category/Displays/sub/39/
hsinnott and bradman like this.
post #15113 of 19060 Old 05-01-2018, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddysnake View Post
So luckily for me, I thought the NBC was pretty good with my comcast. Do you need an antenna for OTA or can I still get that through the coaxial cable?
Yes - I thought the NBC feed via my Comcast cable provider was very good but the OTA broadcast was "lights out." I could really see the difference in color and sharpness.

First - go to https://www.antennaweb.org/ and type in your full street address.

Second - see what channels are available to you and the distance they are broadcast from your home. That will dictate what type of antenna (indoor or outdoor) that you need. There are many ways to research what type of antenna will work best for your situation. And, lots of solutions to fit your budget.

RE: Coaxial cable. "Coax" is the connection that is used with large outdoor antennas and even smaller indoor antennas. If you have an older house or if there was a UHF/VHF antenna installed in the past - - you might be able to use that, as well.

Not only do you get a great signal with OTA - - it's a nice backup if your cable or satellite goes out. Sure, you won't get all the stations but you'll probably get your major channels and then some.

***Side note - when setting the output on my Comcast cable box, I have the option of 720p, 1080i or have the box upscale to 1080p60 HD. I have tried them all and 720p provides the best picture quality to my eyes. There are posters that have recommended 1080i as the best resolution but for me - 720p does it best as I do not want the Comcast cable box to upscale anything - - that's the job of our Sony 900E. So - with this scenario, 1080i gets down converted to 720p. Some posters recommend 1080i as the best resolution and I can understand that rationale, as well. From there, 720p gets upscaled to 1080i by the cable box.

Now, here's where it gets interesting. It is definitely a better picture with the native "OTA - Over The Air" 1080i channels versus the 720p channels! It's very noticeable on it's way to being upscaled to 4K by the Sony 900E. Clear as a bell. I can only think that the native 1080i that is broadcast locally is marginalized (degraded/compressed?) some how after it gets to my Comcast cable box. At any rate, I thought it was an interesting observation.
eddysnake likes this.

Home Theater Setup
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 05-01-2018 at 01:02 PM.
post #15114 of 19060 Old 05-01-2018, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_tr View Post
I have watched 3 HRD movies from Google Play and could not tell if they where HDR or not. Just read that google play does not support hdr on android tv. Is this still true? Do I need to break out my Chromecast?
Yes, unfortunately.
post #15115 of 19060 Old 05-01-2018, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I have a couple of ignorant, dinosaur questions, coming to you from the Stone Age and wishing, in part, to remain here.

Bought this set 75" and it arrives Saturday. Am coming from a 61" Samsung DLP that honestly I would not be giving it up if I didn't have to. Anyway ... I am ignorant about Smart TVs and right now have no need/want for that part of it. Just want a TV. I have several Tivos and am happy using YouTube, Amazon Prime, Pandora through it - unchecked all the other apps. Don't want anything else at this point. Clearly my needs will change in time, but it's where I am now.

When I set up the Sony, is there a way to make it a dumb TV without showing any apps? And what about ads? I don't understand that part at all - can I plug in the TV to be more a monitor and just not sign up for any apps? Or delete them?

Looking for best advice coming out of the gate on the set.

Thanks for your tolerance. At least I gave you a good laugh!
post #15116 of 19060 Old 05-01-2018, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 240
My Sony 49XE9005 - European version of the 49" XBR900E I believe - is being swapped out by Sony this week for an XF9005 (XBR900F equivalent I believe)

A number of us in the UK have had replacements arranged after demonstrating a fault on 50Hz (I've also demonstrated it on 59.94Hz) native content that exhibits itself as pairs of 720/50p frames (or pairs of 1080/50i deinterlaced fields) being dropped on shot changes, and then following this two frame pairs are shown twice (again often after a shot change). This looks like a brief freeze or jerk just after a camera cut, particularly noticeable on cranes, jibs and steadicam shots with movement.

The UK show Strictly Come Dancing (aka the original Dancing with the Stars) exhibits it hugely, but people are seeing it on sport, entertainment and news shows (I see it as a jump on news channel tickers).

I have a test disc and test file I've made that I've taken into shops to test display models (and they consistently do it) and shared with others and we all see the same thing. The same material played on an older Sony UHD set is rock solid.

This test has burned in time code (a unique number for every frame) - and when you film the result on an iPhone in slow motion you can clearly document the frame drops and repeats. Only Game mode and one of the two Photo modes avoids it.

I may have posted earlier on in this thread about it - but 6 months of having to watch in Game mode to avoid motion judder was enough. I've been assured by others that the issue is resolved in the 49XF9005. Sony are very aware of the issue I've been told by a contact within Sony.
post #15117 of 19060 Old 05-01-2018, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneals2000 View Post
My Sony 49XE9005 - European version of the 49" XBR900E I believe - is being swapped out by Sony this week for an XF9005 (XBR900F equivalent I believe)

A number of us in the UK have had replacements arranged after demonstrating a fault on 50Hz (I've also demonstrated it on 59.94Hz) native content that exhibits itself as pairs of 720/50p frames (or pairs of 1080/50i deinterlaced fields) being dropped on shot changes, and then following this two frame pairs are shown twice (again often after a shot change). This looks like a brief freeze or jerk just after a camera cut, particularly noticeable on cranes, jibs and steadicam shots with movement.

The UK show Strictly Come Dancing (aka the original Dancing with the Stars) exhibits it hugely, but people are seeing it on sport, entertainment and news shows (I see it as a jump on news channel tickers).

I have a test disc and test file I've made that I've taken into shops to test display models (and they consistently do it) and shared with others and we all see the same thing. The same material played on an older Sony UHD set is rock solid.

This test has burned in time code (a unique number for every frame) - and when you film the result on an iPhone in slow motion you can clearly document the frame drops and repeats. Only Game mode and one of the two Photo modes avoids it.

I may have posted earlier on in this thread about it - but 6 months of having to watch in Game mode to avoid motion judder was enough. I've been assured by others that the issue is resolved in the 49XF9005. Sony are very aware of the issue I've been told by a contact within Sony.
The issue you are referencing I’ve seen in NFL games on my 900e. Seen it on both 720p60 and 1080i60 games. When they go quickly from field to say a coach on the sideline or etc. My retailer hooked me up with a 900f since they were out of e’s. I’m happy to report I haven’t noticed it happening at all on any of the f’s I’ve had. Rtings also mentioned testing for the issue and reported that it wasn’t present on the f.
post #15118 of 19060 Old 05-01-2018, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

***Side note - when setting the output on my Comcast cable box, I have the option of 720p, 1080i or have the box upscale to 1080p60 HD. I have tried them all and 720p provides the best picture quality to my eyes. There are posters that have recommended 1080i as the best resolution but for me - 720p does it best as I do not want the Comcast cable box to upscale anything - - that's the job of our Sony 900E. So - with this scenario, 1080i gets down converted to 720p. Some posters recommend 1080i as the best resolution and I can understand that rationale, as well. From there, 720p gets upscaled to 1080i by the cable box.
I have Comcast as well and have some pretty noticeable stutter while watching sports on my 65900E. I have the box output set to 1080p but switched it to 720p and noticed that the stuttering has stopped, it has even stopped with the box output set to 1080i as well. Now when i hit the display button on the Sony remote it says 720p so is it still converting that 720 box output signal to 1080p?
post #15119 of 19060 Old 05-01-2018, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonscape View Post
I have a couple of ignorant, dinosaur questions, coming to you from the Stone Age and wishing, in part, to remain here.

Bought this set 75" and it arrives Saturday. Am coming from a 61" Samsung DLP that honestly I would not be giving it up if I didn't have to. Anyway ... I am ignorant about Smart TVs and right now have no need/want for that part of it. Just want a TV. I have several Tivos and am happy using YouTube, Amazon Prime, Pandora through it - unchecked all the other apps. Don't want anything else at this point. Clearly my needs will change in time, but it's where I am now.

When I set up the Sony, is there a way to make it a dumb TV without showing any apps? And what about ads? I don't understand that part at all - can I plug in the TV to be more a monitor and just not sign up for any apps? Or delete them?

Looking for best advice coming out of the gate on the set.

Thanks for your tolerance. At least I gave you a good laugh!
The apps are accessible through the Home button. As long as you don't ever press the Home button you'll never see the apps. The only time you'd press the Home button then is to access the Settings menu -- and that should be a one time event. Most of the typical settings you will be accessing are through the Action Menu which doesn't really access the apps.
post #15120 of 19060 Old 05-01-2018, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venez68 View Post
I have Comcast as well and have some pretty noticeable stutter while watching sports on my 65900E. I have the box output set to 1080p but switched it to 720p and noticed that the stuttering has stopped, it has even stopped with the box output set to 1080i as well. Now when i hit the display button on the Sony remote it says 720p so is it still converting that 720 box output signal to 1080p?
If you are seeing 720p when you hit the display button on your Sony remote, that is the native signal that your Sony 900E is upscaling to 4K.

I suspect that a progressive 720p source from my Comcast cable box is easier to convert and be upscaled to 4K, motion wise, than a 1080i source (think of a faster display all at once with less lines as progressive as opposed to more lines of your picture but displayed one after the of other as interlaced.) It's only a guess on my part based on my experience with Comcast.

Now- when I watch sports like a hockey game via my OTA (antenna), with a 1080i native source, it's the best picture I can get from broadcast TV. My assumption is that there is no middleman, so to speak, in getting the signal via OTA and there is less compression compared to the same broadcast channel via Comcast cable.

If I could get all my cable stations at 1080i, uncompressed, I'd be a happy camper.

Home Theater Setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page