2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 508 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40382Likes

post #15211 of 19197 Old 05-06-2018, 03:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hello!
Happy new owner of a 55x900E, though as my model is a EMEA one they have disabled HDD recording, any tricks to enable it by installing the missing settings given it's an Android OS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15212 of 19197 Old 05-06-2018, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaslitnation View Post
Please always remember tht the cheapest is never the least expensive. Also, try using one of the cashback sites. Still purchase directly from your chosen dealers but you're sent the referral amount when the cashback site receive it, usually 60 days. I saved a fortune. Best be careful on this thread talking about any type of pricing. Good luck.
I do not think this discussion is out of line. And to me - it’s a great way to get the best price AND purchase from an authorized dealer or a smaller, local, “brick and mortar” shop that can provide excellent service AFTER the sale, if needed.

I have two such credit cards that have saved me close to a thousand dollars this past year. For my Sony 75” 900E, I used the Chase Freedom credit card that matched the lowest internet price. I bought from a local Sony Authorized Dealer who took all the worry out of my purchase by carrying my 75” 900E down to my basement, unboxing it and setting it up to ensure it was working properly. Then, they took out the box and packing materials.

While this example is not TV related, it’s a more automated way to ensure you get the best price for any product, including audio & video equipment. The Citi card enables you to register your purchase and then it looks, proactively, on the web for the lowest price. I did this with a lawn mower where I was able to have my local dealer (who would support the manufacturers warranty anyway) order, assemble the mower and test it as opposed to just getting a box shipped to me.

Big box shops like Best Buy will match major Internet prices but not other online companies who might have a much lower price. Using these types of “price match-refund” credit cards give you the best of both worlds.

Getting the best price with a full manufacturers warranty provides a great piece of mind for any purchaser. And, this is also a great way to support local businesses.
Sweetmeat likes this.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #15213 of 19197 Old 05-06-2018, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
I do not think this discussion is out of line. And to me - it’s a great way to get the best price AND purchase from an authorized dealer or a smaller, local, “brick and mortar” shop that can provide excellent service AFTER the sale, if needed.

I have two such credit cards that have saved me close to a thousand dollars this past year. For my Sony 75” 900E, I used the Chase Freedom credit card that matched the lowest internet price. I bought from a local Sony Authorized Dealer who took all the worry out of my purchase by carrying my 75” 900E down to my basement, unboxing it and setting it up to ensure it was working properly. Then, they took out the box and packing materials.

While this example is not TV related, it’s a more automated way to ensure you get the best price for any product, including audio & video equipment. The Citi card enables you to register your purchase and then it looks, proactively, on the web for the lowest price. I did this with a lawn mower where I was able to have my local dealer (who would support the manufacturers warranty anyway) order, assemble the mower and test it as opposed to just getting a box shipped to me.

Big box shops like Best Buy will match major Internet prices but not other online companies who might have a much lower price. Using these types of “price match-refund” credit cards give you the best of both worlds.

Getting the best price with a full manufacturers warranty provides a great piece of mind for any purchaser. And, this is also a great way to support local businesses.
That's what I did. Used payback CC along with my cashback site to purchase new. On Black Friday they ran a special with Dell for 21% and they stocked exactly what I was looking for, the 55" 900E.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Topcashback dell.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	2399456  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15214 of 19197 Old 05-06-2018, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi folks, Just got my 75in X900e, which replaced my Panny plasma and I’m wondering if anyone has had any issues with HDMI CEC? Every time I turn off the TV it turns off the AVR (which it should with CEC enabled), but immediately after the AVR turns back on but it’s on the “TV” input instead of the “cab/sat” input it was just on before powering down. I can’t seem to prevent this and I’ve gone thru the CEC options on both devices.
post #15215 of 19197 Old 05-06-2018, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just picked up a 65 900e at bb last night, probably the last one to roll off the assembly line March 2018 date, I love the new qled tvs but the price doesn't justify it, can anyone point me to some good calibrations. I'll be using this for streaming movies and playing ps4 pro.
post #15216 of 19197 Old 05-06-2018, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Am I the only one?
I'm an old videophile and find the picture right out of the box perfect. The only thing I've changed is picture settings to Vivid. Everything else to me is striking.

Videophile + Vivid =
rlindo and I WANT MORE like this.
post #15217 of 19197 Old 05-06-2018, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonviper04 View Post
Hi folks, Just got my 75in X900e, which replaced my Panny plasma and I’m wondering if anyone has had any issues with HDMI CEC? Every time I turn off the TV it turns off the AVR (which it should with CEC enabled), but immediately after the AVR turns back on but it’s on the “TV” input instead of the “cab/sat” input it was just on before powering down. I can’t seem to prevent this and I’ve gone thru the CEC options on both devices.
Lots of problems with CEC & ARC with the Sony 900E. What type is your AVR? I have a 75" Sony 900E with a Denon x5200 AVR. Even though I have my Harmony remote programmed correctly, when I start the TV & AVR for cable TV - many times it will not correctly switch to "External Speakers." It will sometimes do a loop, back and forth, between "External Speakers" and "TV/Audio." So, my workaround is to just press the Cable/Sat button on my Denon remote. Then, everything works correctly. Shouldn't be this way but it is.

Some other anomalies with Sony's implementation of CEC (Bravia Link):

1. Occasional turning on of your AVR AFTER you've turned everything off. This can be delayed from an hour to even greater. We were upstairs one night and we heard voices in the basement (man cave) where my 75" Sony 900E is. After grabbing my shotgun, AR-15 and some tear gas (just kidding, folks) - I walked downstairs and sure enough, my AVR was providing audio to my speakers from my cable box. I just turned it off. It happens less frequently these days but still a PIA.

2. ARC - dropping audio. I find Netflix and Google Play Movies, knock knock, to work flawlessly. ARC audio from my "OTA" - Over The Air antenna works great, as well. Amazon Prime has many "drop outs" where I have to toggle between any other "input" on my Denon remote and then back to "TV/Audio" to get it working again. Another PIA that I've just learned to live with.

I'm not sure if other TV manufacturers have problems with their CEC implementations but Sony doesn't have this one figured out, yet. Here's hoping a firmware update will eventually solve the problem. All in all, a minor convenience to put up with in light of the splendid picture and price performance of the Sony 900E. Hope this helps.

Home Theater Setup
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 05-06-2018 at 09:43 AM.
post #15218 of 19197 Old 05-06-2018, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

I did the same thing with a projector I bought last year. I paid full price so I could get 60 months interest free financing, put $500 of the cost on my Citi card, then found the same projector online for $500 less than I paid. I submitted a claim to Citi and they refunded me $500.

So in the end I got $500 off, AND 60 months interest free financing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xbr75x900E and JVC RS420 with Elite 120" screen
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3060/RX-A3000, WXA-50 MusicCast Amp for Zone 2
L/C/R - B&W CM9/CMC2, Side - DS3, Rear - CM5, F/R Atmos - CCM663
Subs - SVS PB12+ and PB13 Ultra
Harmony Elite, ATV 4K, Nvidia Shield Pro, HDHomeRun Extend
post #15219 of 19197 Old 05-06-2018, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 6680 Post(s)
Liked: 6677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjulius View Post
Wonderful info there ty for the warning. I really want the tv, I cant afford any more than what they offered and im going to try to low ball them a lot more due to the reasons you just mentioned.
Buy it then, if worried, get them to give the extended warranty at like $100 or buy the Costco warranty.
post #15220 of 19197 Old 05-06-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Lots of problems with CEC & ARC with the Sony 900E. What type is your AVR? I have a 75" Sony 900E with a Denon x5200 AVR. Even though I have my Harmony remote programmed correctly, when I start the TV & AVR for cable TV - many times it will not correctly switch to "External Speakers." It will sometimes do a loop, back and forth, between "External Speakers" and "TV/Audio." So, my workaround is to just press the Cable/Sat button on my Denon remote. Then, everything works correctly. Shouldn't be this way but it is.

1. Occasional turning on of your AVR AFTER you've turned everything off. This can be delayed from an hour to even greater. We were upstairs one night and we heard voices in the basement (man cave) where my 75" Sony 900E is. After grabbing my shotgun, AR-15 and some tear gas (just kidding, folks) - I walked downstairs and sure enough, my AVR was providing audio to my speakers from my cable box. I just turned it off. It happens less frequently these days but still a PIA.

2. ARC - dropping audio. I find Netflix and Google Play Movies, knock knock, to work flawlessly. ARC audio from my "OTA" - Over The Air antenna works great, as well. Amazon Prime has many "drop outs" where I have to toggle between any other "input" on my Denon remote and then back to "TV/Audio" to get it working again. Another PIA that I've just learned to live with.

I'm not sure if other TV manufacturers have problems with their CEC implementations but Sony doesn't have this one figured out, yet. Here's hoping a firmware update will eventually solve the problem. All in all, a minor convenience to put up with in light of the splendid picture and price performance of the Sony 900E. Hope this helps.
I have a Pioneer AVR (SC-LX901). Disappointing to hear so many issues with this.
Lol I almost did the same as you did last night. I walked into the living room to find the tv and AVR turned on. I think I resolved that aspect by changing the settings in Bravia sync which allows the tv to be turned on by other devices.
post #15221 of 19197 Old 05-06-2018, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In the past I’ve had problems with different implementations of HDMI CEC and I’ve been able to get around them by changing the order of when the devices were turned on within the Harmony software.

Whatever order you normally turn stuff on when you have the CEC problem, try reversing the order and see if that resolves it. Make sure you power off your devices in the opposite order in which they’re turned on.

bradman and jasonviper04 like this.

post #15222 of 19197 Old 05-06-2018, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
I have a Pioneer AVR (SC-LX901). Disappointing to hear so many issues with this.
Lol I almost did the same as you did last night. I walked into the living room to find the tv and AVR turned on. I think I resolved that aspect by changing the settings in Bravia sync which allows the tv to be turned on by other devices.
I have a pioneer as well. I never have issues with the arc so I can't Really help but just amazed reading all the issues when I've had none.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #15223 of 19197 Old 05-06-2018, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedHelp123 View Post
What hdmi devices are connected? Sounds like some device may be doing it

Edit: this actually happened (sort of) yesterday when I FINALLY set up my Nintendo Switch to test it. I was charging it in the base, I accidentally turned the Switch on, and it caused the tv to change inputs to Switch. I have it connected directly to the tv for now.
So I figured out that when I stream music to my Apple TV that is connected to my Integra pre/pro it turns the tv on. Does anybody know why this is and how I can fix it? Thanks!

Mirkwood Home Theater
This is my very, very, very outdated website. So embarrassing.
post #15224 of 19197 Old 05-06-2018, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post
In the past I’ve had problems with different implementations of HDMI CEC and I’ve been able to get around them by changing the order of when the devices were turned on within the Harmony software.

Whatever order you normally turn stuff on when you have the CEC problem, try reversing the order and see if that resolves it. Make sure you power off your devices in the opposite order in which they’re turned on.

Thanks for the post. I'll try the Harmony changes.

Home Theater Setup
post #15225 of 19197 Old 05-06-2018, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Williams View Post
I have a pioneer as well. I never have issues with the arc so I can't Really help but just amazed reading all the issues when I've had none.

Glad to hear that ARC is working for you.

BUT!!!! For all the other Sony 900E owners that are having problems with ARC, we hereby commit you to one Novena with all specialized prayers directed towards those AVS Forum members who ARE having problems with ARC. You can start your nine day Novena tomorrow.

Home Theater Setup
post #15226 of 19197 Old 05-06-2018, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

BUT!!!! For all the other Sony 900E owners that are having problems with ARC, we hereby commit you to one Novena with all specialized prayers directed towards those AVS Forum members who ARE having problems with ARC. You can start your nine day Novena tomorrow.
Well I would like to help. I know I had Monoprice hdmi issues when I first set this all up and replaced them all with Amazon basics cables and that fixed a lot of black out stuff. Also I use a harmony remote so that helps. Whenever I turn the TV off the receiver turns off. I did something in the menu too to disable the TV sound. However when I use the volume on the Sony remote it turns up both the TV and receiver even though no sound is coming through the TV.

post #15227 of 19197 Old 05-06-2018, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Well I would like to help. I know I had Monoprice hdmi issues when I first set this all up and replaced them all with Amazon basics cables and that fixed a lot of black out stuff. Also I use a harmony remote so that helps. Whenever I turn the TV off the receiver turns off. I did something in the menu too to disable the TV sound. However when I use the volume on the Sony remote it turns up both the TV and receiver even though no sound is coming through the TV.

I'm using Monoprice HDMI cables. When I hit the power button on my Dish remote, it turns on/off the Dish Box, Denon AVR, and the 900e...I've never had a problem with ARC...Guess I got lucky!!!
post #15228 of 19197 Old 05-06-2018, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Congrats and you're going to have some fun!! Best purchase I've ever made in a set. So, I use comcast as well and pay for the boost. However, i ordered, from Amazon, a long Enet cable and hardwired it.
Enjoy it!!
Looking forward to it. WRT hard-wired Ethernet - I would *love* to do it
that way. In fact, my built-in-2008 house has CAT5 to all the rooms, unfortunately dedicated to POTS ( Plain Old Telephone Service ). Note: The trouble with having a newish stucco house is that one is reluctant to festoon it with wires .

There is in fact an Ethernet jack on the same wall as the TV, HOWEVER - this jack is connected to my *other* Internet connection, which is a 6-megabit DSL with static IP that I use for my business. 6 megabits per second doesn't cut it for 4K.

I might be able to get the Comcast connection out to that jack with judicious use of tagged VLANs. With tagged VLANs I can put two separate subnets on the same wire. A router at one end would put them together, and another router
at the other end would split them apart. I have a pair of Ubiquiti Edgerouter X's that would be ideal. But that's a project for another day. For now, I think the wifi will do.
post #15229 of 19197 Old 05-06-2018, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post
I'm using Monoprice HDMI cables. When I hit the power button on my Dish remote, it turns on/off the Dish Box, Denon AVR, and the 900e...I've never had a problem with ARC...Guess I got lucky!!!
Gee, I just bought 4 Monoprice certified cables for my new installation. Ka-ching! Hope they work. Both the new TV and my Yamaha receiver ostensibly support ARC. If it doesn't work, I also got a Toslink cable.
HuskerHarley likes this.
post #15230 of 19197 Old 05-06-2018, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by james138 View Post
So I figured out that when I stream music to my Apple TV that is connected to my Integra pre/pro it turns the tv on. Does anybody know why this is and how I can fix it? Thanks!
Try turning off Bravia Sync on the TV.

I seem to remember there being an option about allowing other device to power the TV on, too... So, maybe just that setting? I might be thinking of a different set, though.
bradman likes this.
post #15231 of 19197 Old 05-06-2018, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

No ARC issues here, but I am using a Sony AVR.
post #15232 of 19197 Old 05-06-2018, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

I will chip on and add that ARC works with my Sony AVR and my now Yamaha AVR. Not a single issue. It does certainly seem that some brands don't work so well with ARC on these Sony TVs. Putting this out there just in case people are looking for an AVR with this set.
post #15233 of 19197 Old 05-07-2018, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetmeat View Post

This actually worked for me! Thanks for the tip!
Sweetmeat likes this.
post #15234 of 19197 Old 05-07-2018, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Am I the only one?
I'm an old videophile and find the picture right out of the box perfect. The only thing I've changed is picture settings to Vivid. Everything else to me is striking.
I'm with you. When I first got the 900E, I tried a couple of different picture modes, but went back to all the defaults. Picture Quality is outstanding. I did, however, add an ethernet attached ATV4K, which I use now, after joining other cord cutters, for most of my television viewing. But even the picture quality with my antenna is fine.

I'm sure that the many experts in this forum are experiencing even higher PQ, but for me I'm more than satisfied.
post #15235 of 19197 Old 05-07-2018, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1690 Post(s)
Liked: 4913
Goliath on Amazon video looks spectacular on this tv. Great hdr
post #15236 of 19197 Old 05-07-2018, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Goliath on Amazon video looks spectacular on this tv. Great hdr
Are you playing it throw the built in android TV app or an external player?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #15237 of 19197 Old 05-07-2018, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1690 Post(s)
Liked: 4913
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanvm View Post
Are you playing it throw the built in android TV app or an external player?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Should've mentioned that. Through my Roku Ultra.
post #15238 of 19197 Old 05-07-2018, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This actually worked for me! Thanks for the tip!

Glad it worked for you. CEC issues are a PITA.

jasonviper04 likes this.

post #15239 of 19197 Old 05-07-2018, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Quote:
I have a Marantz 7011 and have had no issues with my previous 850D and my new 900E. They both turn on and off correctly. TV turns on first then there's a 1-2 second gap then AVR turns on. When turning off the tv shuts down first then AVR powers down.

Sony 75X900E 4K
Marantz SR7011 Parasound Halo A52+
Klipsch RF7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's, RP500SAs Atmos
SVS Dual SB13 Ultra's
Oppo UDP-203 4K Sony PS4 Pro Panamax 5300PM
post #15240 of 19197 Old 05-07-2018, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McCarthy View Post
Just picked up a 65 900e at bb last night, probably the last one to roll off the assembly line March 2018 date, I love the new qled tvs but the price doesn't justify it, can anyone point me to some good calibrations. I'll be using this for streaming movies and playing ps4 pro.
What is your viewing environment? Well lit room, dim, dark? What device will you be using for streaming? Builtin Android App?

LG 77C9 OLED Theatre Room- LG 65EF9500 OLED Living Room
Panasonic UB820 Blu-Ray Player - Denon X4500H AVR
Chord 2Qute DAC - Rogue RP-1 Pre Amp - Rogue Atlas Magnum II Tube Amp

Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Speakers--B&W HTM62 Center--Axiom QS4 surrounds, PSB Imagine XA Atmos Speaker Addons -- SVS PC-2000 SUBWOOFER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page