2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 510 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40378Likes

post #15271 of 19141 Old 05-09-2018, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
I've made a just a few changes as well - Game mode on my Xboxes, and if I'm watching a movie I'll switch to one of the Cinema modes. But I happy with how it is essentially out of the box as well. I've tried using some disks to adjust the settings, but most of the time I don't notice what they tell me I'm supposed to "see".
Did you notice any lag from the xbox on cinema? Or an improvement on game? Since I use my xbox for gaming and as a bluray player, it tends to be left in cinema. I heard an update to the xbox X will allow it to autoswitch modes, but have no idea if that'll work on this TV. However, in the limited gaming I've done in the last month I haven't noticed lag. I'm wondering if there are certain games it's more prevalent on.

Denon X4300H; Sony XBR75 900E; Definitive Technology RLS-II/DI 5.5LCR/DI 5.5R; NHT SW12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15272 of 19141 Old 05-09-2018, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So does game mode do anything other than disable certain motion settings? My game mode settings are the same as my Cinema Pro settings so if I dont have to scroll from top to bottom and back when I watch a bluray on my Xbox that’d be swell.
post #15273 of 19141 Old 05-09-2018, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So my TH-50PZ80U plasma is finally dying so I decided to take the plunge on one of these. I was going to pick up the 65" X900F but for just $300 more I was able to pick up the 75" of the X900E. I can't wait for it to be delivered! Sadly, I won't be doing much 4K content until I recover my bank account to upgrade my PS4 to a PS4 PRO or pick up the XBONE X.

We looked at the Samsung NU8000/MU8000 both in 75 and I kept going back to the Sony for some reason. It looks good. I just hope once I get it home it'll be better than my plasma!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15274 of 19141 Old 05-09-2018, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Lastly - OTA or "Over the Air" antenna broadcasts, especially in 1080i are breathtaking. No compression.
OTA broadcasts are indeed compressed -using similar compression algorithms as any other digital stream (MPEG-4/AVC). There are less channels in the space so they are generally less compressed, but they certainly compressed and compression artifacts can certainly be seen.

Just wanted to clear that up.
johnbrooke26 likes this.
post #15275 of 19141 Old 05-09-2018, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Well, a nice XPO Logistics truck showed up at 9:00 this morning and delivered my new 900E.
A crew from DISH network came out at 1:00 and hung it on the wall. They kindly took away
the styrofoam from the TV box. Styrofoam is hard to throw away. I may yet regret that...

I gotta say, the picture is drop dead gorgeous. The internal apps work, albeit a bit slowly.
It sees my Dish receiver just fine. The TV's sound is better than I expected, and it does
feed my Yamaha surround receiver through the TOSLINK.

HOWEVER,

It does not work with my OTA antenna. I did find the "scan channels" feature. So I have
it scan the channels, it finds 60 digital channels. Then a moment later, it changes it from "60 digital channels" to "5 digital channels". And no signal on any of those 5 channels. Urk.
Guess there's a phone call to Sony in my future.

Luckily, there's an OTA tuner built into my satellite receiver. My antenna goes both the sat receiver and the TV set through a splitter. And the sat receiver gets all the channels just fine.
But a brand new TV should just work.... shouldn't it?
post #15276 of 19141 Old 05-09-2018, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryk1234 View Post
Well, a nice XPO Logistics truck showed up at 9:00 this morning and delivered my new 900E.
A crew from DISH network came out at 1:00 and hung it on the wall. They kindly took away
the styrofoam from the TV box. Styrofoam is hard to throw away. I may yet regret that...

I gotta say, the picture is drop dead gorgeous. The internal apps work, albeit a bit slowly.
It sees my Dish receiver just fine. The TV's sound is better than I expected, and it does

HOWEVER,

It does not work with my OTA antenna. I did find the "scan channels" feature. So I have
it scan the channels, it finds 60 digital channels. Then a moment later, it changes it from "60 digital channels" to "5 digital channels". And no signal on any of those 5 channels. Urk.

Luckily, there's an OTA tuner built into my satellite receiver. My antenna goes both the sat receiver and the TV set through a splitter. And the sat receiver gets all the channels just fine.
Yes. Mine did. I found the OTA antenna connection a bit finicky, and depending on how I positioned the antenna, received different channels on each scan. So you went to the Channel Setup menu, chose cable/Antenna, selected Antenna as the signal mode, and then auto program?
post #15277 of 19141 Old 05-10-2018, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
google assistant available in sony tv uk model?
please give detail...

Last edited by nilesh.sharma.k; 05-10-2018 at 01:26 AM.
post #15278 of 19141 Old 05-10-2018, 02:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:

HOWEVER,

A) What sort of signal strength do you have ON those channels?

B) Is your antenna UHF, VHF, or both? And, do you have it oriented properly for the specific frequencies you're trying to tune in?

I had a TON of problems with my HD antenna until I oriented it properly for the various UHF channels I was trying to tune. Once I set it correctly, I have had few issues. Antennaweb.org or similar should be able to help you understand the direction for the various channels based on your location.

FWIW - I have a UHF antenna that has two distinct "halves" - I loosened it so that I could orient each half in a different direction (each pointed toward a distinct tower) and it made a HUGE difference. It's possible that your set-top box has an amplifier in it that's sort of forcing it to work...
post #15279 of 19141 Old 05-10-2018, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:

HOWEVER,

THis is a settings issue. I had this exact issue but can’t remember where or what it was called. It was something like “allow digital channels” or something. I essentially found it by luck but it fixes your issue. Another silly Sony thing I guess.
post #15280 of 19141 Old 05-10-2018, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoZags13 View Post
Did you notice any lag from the xbox on cinema? Or an improvement on game? Since I use my xbox for gaming and as a bluray player, it tends to be left in cinema. I heard an update to the xbox X will allow it to autoswitch modes, but have no idea if that'll work on this TV. However, in the limited gaming I've done in the last month I haven't noticed lag. I'm wondering if there are certain games it's more prevalent on.
I didn't notice any lag, and my sons haven't reported any. They do more gaming than I do on it. Often I'll forget to switch it between Cinema and Gaming, since I use the Xbox as my Blu-Ray player as well.

Xbox: Deezul
Sony XBR-65X900E, Sony XBR-49X900E
Go Jackets!
post #15281 of 19141 Old 05-10-2018, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1791 Post(s)
Liked: 1267
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic dog View Post
OTA broadcasts are indeed compressed -using similar compression algorithms as any other digital stream (MPEG-4/AVC). There are less channels in the space so they are generally less compressed, but they certainly compressed and compression artifacts can certainly be seen.

Just wanted to clear that up.
Right you are. Much thanks. And I'm sure that "OTA" quality & availability can depend on the type of antenna you have and where the broadcasts are being transmitted from. We're lucky here in the greater Denver area with broadcasts being transmitted from Lookout Mountain which is about 2,000 feet above Denver and only 20 to 30 miles from most of the metropolitan area surrounding Denver, CO. I find the signal strength to be excellent with very little compression artifacts. Far better than my Comcast cable signal - - especially 1080i.

The current ATSC Standard is 2.0. ATSC 3.0 holds a lot of promise for 4K & HDR but it is still in its infancy. It will require a different tuner and is being rolled out on a voluntary basis - which means we're a long way from having 4K/HDR "OTA" broadcasts. It's still an exciting development and it will be interesting in five years to see where we're at with this technology. I know that five years is a long time and that is my usual TV replacement cycle - - 5 to 6 years. We'll probably be out of the U.S. before then (some place warm like in the Caribbean, Costa Rica or Mexico (Cozumel) and my choices most likely will be via satellite to get my U.S. sports.

More info on the ATSC 3.0 Standard:

https://www.tablotv.com/blog/what-co...-about-atsc-3/

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #15282 of 19141 Old 05-10-2018, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Quote:

HOWEVER,

Its a setting this also happened to me a few weeks ago after I set my 75" up. It took me 5-10mn to figure out setting. It was on digital instead of antenna for set top box setting. Once I switched to antenna boom all the OTA channels came on.

Sony 75X900E 4K
Marantz SR7011 Parasound Halo A52+
Klipsch RF7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's, RP500SAs Atmos
SVS Dual SB13 Ultra's
Oppo UDP-203 4K Sony PS4 Pro Panamax 5300PM
post #15283 of 19141 Old 05-10-2018, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
selected Antenna as the signal mode, and then auto program?
*** I don't remember any setting for signal mode. Which surprised me. I'll look some more. In general, I find the "settings" of the TV kind of scattered, and hidden.
post #15284 of 19141 Old 05-10-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
A) What sort of signal strength do you have ON those channels?
*** Not really sure. The satellite receiver is happy and says "98%" on
at least some of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
B) Is your antenna UHF, VHF, or both? And, do you have it oriented properly for the specific frequencies you're trying to tune in?
*** Both. It's an Antennacraft "Mini-State" indoor antenna. It looks like a big plastic flying saucer on top of my equipment rack. It has its own remote. The antenna is motorized and can rotate inside the plastic shell. It's a serious antenna. The satellite receiver OTA tuner is happy with it.

We are at 600 feet MSL ( mean sea level ) on the side of a hill. With the hill at our backs, we have a line of sight view to the big television tower about 20 miles away. That's why we get away with an indoor antenna.

While the antenna may not be optimum for all channels, the current symptom is that we get *nothing*, which is not reasonable. I even checked for a bad splitter by swapping the connections between the Sat receiver and the TV.
post #15285 of 19141 Old 05-10-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
*** I don't remember any setting for signal mode. Which surprised me. I'll look some more. In general, I find the "settings" of the TV kind of scattered, and hidden.
Still can't find any setting for signal mode. Just the Scan for Channels screen - it does the autoscan and finds the 60 channels. Then it says "Auto Program Complete!" and the only control available is a "next" button.

I click "next", it goes back to the Channel Settings screen, showing the 60 channels ( Yay! ). Then a second or so later, it changes the "60" to a "5" ( Boo! ).
post #15286 of 19141 Old 05-10-2018, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I have a question guys and really do need the help. I have a 720p screen and looking to do a small jump over the 4k side. I'm more into the gaming side of things and I have a hard choose of choosing the 900e vs 930e. Which models would be better for gaming and movies after. I'm also waiting on the new Vizio P 2018 models to come out already so I could read reviews on those as well. Any help would be great.
post #15287 of 19141 Old 05-10-2018, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Still can't find any setting for signal mode. Just the Scan for Channels screen - it does the autoscan and finds the 60 channels. Then it says "Auto Program Complete!" and the only control available is a "next" button.

I click "next", it goes back to the Channel Settings screen, showing the 60 channels ( Yay! ). Then a second or so later, it changes the "60" to a "5" ( Boo! ).
It should be under "Home" -> "Settings" -> "Channels" -> "Channel setup" -> "Cable/Antenna" -> "Signal type".
post #15288 of 19141 Old 05-10-2018, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Quote:

The adjustment was in a different menu spot. I’d look again but I’m not at home. Keep searching the cable options in different menus. 🙂
post #15289 of 19141 Old 05-10-2018, 08:41 AM

OTA problem solved

All,
It turns out that the "type of signal Antenna or Cable" setting is in the Initial Settings area - the wizard that guides you through the stuff you have to do when you pull the TV out of its box. And that particular setting is NOWHERE ELSE. Even through there is a "scan channels" screen.

I found it when I tried going through the initial settings again - luckily it let me skip other things and keep them as they were. After that it went through the autoscan, found the 60 digital channels, and KEPT them ( yay! ).

I had missed the initial setting because I was in a hurry - the wall mount install
guys were standing around and I felt pressured to skip stuff.

Hopping through the channels, they all look perfect.

There's even a program guide for the OTA.
Ricoflashback likes this.
post #15290 of 19141 Old 05-10-2018, 08:44 AM

What remotes are people using with this set? The Sony remote sucks. The buttons are very low and just don't feel right. And it's fairly fussy about where you point it.
post #15291 of 19141 Old 05-10-2018, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
What remotes are people using with this set? The Sony remote sucks. The buttons are very low and just don't feel right. And it's fairly fussy about where you point it.
Harmony Companion with Smart Hub, I really like it because it can use IR, Bluetooth, RF or IP control of your devices eliminating the need for multiple remotes.

It takes some getting used to as you don't directly control devices with it but instead program actions. It also comes with an application for your smart phone that can be used to control your devices in a pinch.
post #15292 of 19141 Old 05-10-2018, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
All,
It turns out that the "type of signal Antenna or Cable" setting is in the Initial Settings area - the wizard that guides you through the stuff you have to do when you pull the TV out of its box. And that particular setting is NOWHERE ELSE. Even through there is a "scan channels" screen.

I found it when I tried going through the initial settings again - luckily it let me skip other things and keep them as they were. After that it went through the autoscan, found the 60 digital channels, and KEPT them ( yay! ).

I had missed the initial setting because I was in a hurry - the wall mount install
guys were standing around and I felt pressured to skip stuff.

Hopping through the channels, they all look perfect.

There's even a program guide for the OTA.

Just to confirm -- before you redid the initial setup, this option was missing from the settings menus?

It should be under "Home" -> "Settings" -> "Channels" -> "Channel setup" -> "Cable/Antenna" -> "Signal type".

But after you redid the initial setup again, this option appears in the settings menus?
post #15293 of 19141 Old 05-10-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Just to confirm -- before you redid the initial setup, this option was missing from the settings menus?

Yes, it was missing. There was only the autoscan page, and no way to set
the signal type.

Quote:
But after you redid the initial setup again, this option appears in the settings menus?

Yes, it does. I just checked it. Weird.
post #15294 of 19141 Old 05-10-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Harmony Companion with Smart Hub, I really like it because it can use IR, Bluetooth, RF or IP control of your devices eliminating the need for multiple remotes.

It takes some getting used to as you don't directly control devices with it but instead program actions. It also comes with an application for your smart phone that can be used to control your devices in a pinch.
It sounds pretty good. No problem with programming, I'm a retired software engineer. I *love* programmable stuff.

Did you have to tape an IR blaster to the front of your TV? Reviews and questions on Amazon hint that the remote talks to the hub via wifi, and then the hub talks to the equipment via IR. It's such a pretty TV, I'd hate to have to tape stuff to it.
post #15295 of 19141 Old 05-10-2018, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
It sounds pretty good. No problem with programming, I'm a retired software engineer. I *love* programmable stuff.

Did you have to tape an IR blaster to the front of your TV? Reviews and questions on Amazon hint that the remote talks to the hub via wifi, and then the hub talks to the equipment via IR. It's such a pretty TV, I'd hate to have to tape stuff to it.
No IR blaster required for the TV, the Hub is powerful enough to bounce the IR off of wall or ceiling to control your TV. I have my hub positioned across the room and it works well. In addition your TV can be controlled via IP which the Harmony Hub also supports, just be aware IP control is fairly new, disables IR control via the Harmony and not completely "baked". There is a forum on AVS specifically for the Harmony products.

Any devices inside a cabinet "might" need an IR blaster, mine came with a couple in the box with the Harmony Hub.

Initial configuration of the Harmony Hub/Remote is via a smart phone or connecting the Hub to your PC and using an application downloaded from Logitech.

Have fun.
post #15296 of 19141 Old 05-10-2018, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes the remote has to be aimed directly at the IR window at the bottom of the TV. Even a slight off-angle trajectory will ignore the signal. It's pretty annoying in that regard. I don't hate it otherwise. I do wish it had a picture mode button as older Sony remotes did. I even taped my Apple TV remote to the back of it, so all I have to do is flip the Sony remote over to use the touch pad, and dedicated controls -- although the Sony remote does a good job emulating most of them otherwise. I actually prefer the arrow keys in some situations to the touch pad.
post #15297 of 19141 Old 05-10-2018, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 50
That's a good idea tape your stream box remote to it. Most of the time as soon as i sit down i have to get back up and hunt it down.
post #15298 of 19141 Old 05-10-2018, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1791 Post(s)
Liked: 1267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextar View Post
So my TH-50PZ80U plasma is finally dying so I decided to take the plunge on one of these. I was going to pick up the 65" X900F but for just $300 more I was able to pick up the 75" of the X900E. I can't wait for it to be delivered! Sadly, I won't be doing much 4K content until I recover my bank account to upgrade my PS4 to a PS4 PRO or pick up the XBONE X.

We looked at the Samsung NU8000/MU8000 both in 75 and I kept going back to the Sony for some reason. It looks good. I just hope once I get it home it'll be better than my plasma!
Congrats! Do you have a decent Internet connection and access to Netflix? Lots of 4K & 4K/HDR to enjoy there. Same with Amazon Prime.

There will be an adjustment moving from your Plasma to the Sony 4K 900E according to many Plasma owners. Motion handling is probably better on your older Plasma but once you get dialed into settings that work for you - - you'll really appreciate the extra real estate & screen size for letterboxed movies and of course, sports.

If you have a Bluray player, the Sony 900E does a fabulous job of "upscaling" to 4K with Bluray discs. Enjoy!

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #15299 of 19141 Old 05-10-2018, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Yes, the remote is a cheap thing, isn't it? The buttons are so flat, I can't tell what the button is without looking at it. I use my remote from a Sony TV from 2009 (xbr9). The buttons are rubber except the direction ring is a smooth hard plastic. It's backlit too. Only the favorites and the scene/ cinema buttons don't work, but all the others do. The 'input' button is around the main ring, instead of at the top. The only thing the original remote has that I miss is the bluetooth microphone button at the top.
post #15300 of 19141 Old 05-10-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfid View Post
I use my remote from a Sony TV from 2009 (xbr9). .

Rats! I had a perfectly good remote for the old TV ( 2007 XBR2 ). It might

have worked. I shipped it to the landfill along with the TV .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page