2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 511 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40381Likes

post #15301 of 19190 Old 05-10-2018, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Just picked up a 65X900E and loving it.

Questions:

Can someone explain why I can't connect a 128GB usb pen drive formatted with exFAT? The light on the drive blinks for a second and turns off. Menu says no devices connected.

Can someone explain why Google Home says no devices found? Both on the same 5GHz network. Doesn't find the device on Macbook either.

Bonus points: how do I know what revision my HDMI cable is? I get the sense it's not one of the more recent because I can't seem to get 4K 60Hz 4:4:4 HDR working. Is there any way to test it? God forbid they print the revision on the side of the cable...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15302 of 19190 Old 05-10-2018, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat32boy View Post

Questions:

Can someone explain why I can't connect a 128GB usb pen drive formatted with exFAT? The light on the drive blinks for a second and turns off. Menu says no devices connected.

Can someone explain why Google Home says no devices found? Both on the same 5GHz network. Doesn't find the device on Macbook either.

Bonus points: how do I know what revision my HDMI cable is? I get the sense it's not one of the more recent because I can't seem to get 4K 60Hz 4:4:4 HDR working. Is there any way to test it? God forbid they print the revision on the side of the cable...
Nothing can support 4k 60 4:4:4 HDR at this point. Best you can do is 4:2:2. HDR bits are too much otherwise and would require a bandwidth more than 18Gbps. And no HDMI can currently support that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #15303 of 19190 Old 05-10-2018, 04:15 PM

Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Williams View Post
Nothing can support 4k 60 4:4:4 HDR at this point. Best you can do is 4:2:2. HDR bits are too much otherwise and would require a bandwidth more than 18Gbps. And no HDMI can currently support that.
Surely rev 2.1 can? I'm sure I don't have that. But forget 4:4:4, shouldn't 2.0b handle 4k 60hz hdr10?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15304 of 19190 Old 05-10-2018, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Surely rev 2.1 can? I'm sure I don't have that. But forget 4:4:4, shouldn't 2.0b handle 4k 60hz hdr10?
Yes but not at full chroma

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #15305 of 19190 Old 05-10-2018, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 8
1st POST! Just ordered a 75" and cannot wait till it comes WED or THURS!

Over 500 pages is daunting, hopefully the search works well?

Is there a good unboxing/starting up tips posted anywhere?

HELLOOOO ALL, I'll be around! Coming from one of the last Samsung 60" Plasma, it's going in the game room.
rlindo likes this.
post #15306 of 19190 Old 05-10-2018, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Questions:

1.I have a 128gb thumb drive that works fine. I've only used it in the high speed (blue) port. Do you have any files on it? Instead of going into settings, try using discover and go to the video app and see if there are any files.

2. I can't even see my 5ghz network from the tv and I had to use 2.4
post #15307 of 19190 Old 05-10-2018, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryk1234 View Post
What remotes are people using with this set? The Sony remote sucks. The buttons are very low and just don't feel right. And it's fairly fussy about where you point it.
Harmony Home Ultimate with hub and Alexa
post #15308 of 19190 Old 05-10-2018, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
Yes the remote has to be aimed directly at the IR window at the bottom of the TV. Even a slight off-angle trajectory will ignore the signal. It's pretty annoying in that regard.
Why Sony never adopted the Bluetooth PS3 style remote is beyond me. That remote worked great.
post #15309 of 19190 Old 05-11-2018, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Sorry if this has been brought up before, I tried searching for HLG in the thread and there were no results (too short of a word) and didn't find much about people using the setting via google.

Can anyone tell me if there is a huge difference between the two when watching Bosch via the Amazon Prime Video app? I was trying to play with some settings before I decide to keep the TV or not, and switching from HDR10 to HLG in the settings was a huge difference (HDR10 looked pretty good but had pretty bad blooming; HLG looked phenomenal and had very minimal blooming). Everything seemed blown out in HDR10 vs HLG. Too bad I can't use this mode in SDR as I find the letter-boxing borders just a bit too distracting in every other setting.

One last thing, when watching Bosch in HDR (HLG, did not notice it in HDR10 mode) I was getting really bad audio/video freezing (~0.5s pause; think CD skipping, but with streaming) when changing settings (almost like the TV could not handle the streaming). Is this the result of having too many background processes running? TV is connected via ethernet and speeds seemed good other devices on the network (~90+ Mb/s down).

Thank you!

Last edited by JediMindTrick; 05-11-2018 at 08:08 AM.
post #15310 of 19190 Old 05-11-2018, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
Sorry if this has been brought up before, I tried searching for HLG in the thread and there were no results (too short of a word) and didn't find much about people using the setting via google.

Can anyone tell me if there is a huge difference between the two when watching Bosch via the Amazon Prime Video app? I was trying to play with some settings before I decide to keep the TV or not, and switching from HDR10 to HLG in the settings was a huge difference (HDR10 looked pretty good but had pretty bad blooming; HLG looked phenomenal and had very minimal blooming). Everything seemed blown out in HDR10 vs HLG. Too bad I can't use this mode in SDR as I find the letter-boxing borders just a bit too distracting in every other setting.

One last thing, when watching Bosch in HDR (HLG, did not notice it in HDR10 mode) I was getting really bad audio/video freezing (~0.5s pause; think CD skipping, but with streaming) when changing settings (almost like the TV could not handle the streaming). Is this the result of having too many background processes running? TV is connected via ethernet and speeds seemed good other devices on the network (~90+ Mb/s down).

Thank you!
I don't even see an option to choose HLG, all I see is it is available in 4K HDR.

The stutter has to be a bandwidth issue. If you are connecting by wireless that certainly can be the cause. I suggest hard wiring the TV to the router if at all possible as wireless on this TV is sketchy. I suggest you download Analiti from the play store through the TV. Run a quick test, then a detailed test. This will tell you if your internal network is fast enough to stream various formats, and if your internet connection can handle the same. It also will tell you how clean your channel is and much more.

How do I know the TV is sketchy with wifi? Because I can run the test and only get 15Mb/s down, and the next time get 65. I fired up Bosch 4K HDR and it slightly jittered, the next time it was solid as a rock.

This is why I hard wire my TV. WiFi is just a crap chute. My router is 1 foot from the TV so my wireless test is pretty telling. Consider downloading Analiti, its free and provides much info.
post #15311 of 19190 Old 05-11-2018, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic dog View Post
Why Sony never adopted the Bluetooth PS3 style remote is beyond me. That remote worked great.
I'm glad they didn't or if they do, I hope they don't remove the IR receiver from the unit like the Nvidia Shield TV (2107) did, so the option to use IR still exists.
Also, if the TV supports bluetooth, can I pair bluetooth remotes to it for that option?
post #15312 of 19190 Old 05-11-2018, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6677 Post(s)
Liked: 6672
Quote:
Originally Posted by squad22345 View Post
I have a question guys and really do need the help. I have a 720p screen and looking to do a small jump over the 4k side. I'm more into the gaming side of things and I have a hard choose of choosing the 900e vs 930e. Which models would be better for gaming and movies after. I'm also waiting on the new Vizio P 2018 models to come out already so I could read reviews on those as well. Any help would be great.
For this price point I do not think you can go wrong with either set. I bet you would be happy with both. 930E will do better pretty much in every aspect, however I am not sure about gaming....
post #15313 of 19190 Old 05-11-2018, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
For this price point I do not think you can go wrong with either set. I bet you would be happy with both. 930E will do better pretty much in every aspect, however I am not sure about gaming....

My goal was to get an 55 inch or 65 inch OLED but I game a lot and afraid of the damn burn-in issue. I haven't looked into TV's in a LONG TIME and I thought this problem would be corrected already. Company's like to add all this extra junk but not fix the current problems that's been around since the stone age.
post #15314 of 19190 Old 05-11-2018, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic dog View Post
OTA broadcasts are indeed compressed -using similar compression algorithms as any other digital stream (MPEG-4/AVC). There are less channels in the space so they are generally less compressed, but they certainly compressed and compression artifacts can certainly be seen.

Just wanted to clear that up.
And most stations now run multiple sub-channels, which also rob bandwidth from the main signal. My local ABC affiliate has 6 subs, and network broadcasts look like ass OTA.
I WANT MORE likes this.
post #15315 of 19190 Old 05-11-2018, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer View Post
So does game mode do anything other than disable certain motion settings? My game mode settings are the same as my Cinema Pro settings so if I dont have to scroll from top to bottom and back when I watch a bluray on my Xbox that’d be swell.
Input lag in Game (and Graphics) mode is 30-35ms, it's over a hundred in any other picture mode. It's up to you if that's important or not.
post #15316 of 19190 Old 05-11-2018, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by squad22345 View Post
I have a question guys and really do need the help. I have a 720p screen and looking to do a small jump over the 4k side. I'm more into the gaming side of things and I have a hard choose of choosing the 900e vs 930e. Which models would be better for gaming and movies after. I'm also waiting on the new Vizio P 2018 models to come out already so I could read reviews on those as well. Any help would be great.
Can't speak of the 930e yet I did spend a month with a 75" 900e and did some gaming on it. Was very nice and I'd imagine you would be pleased with it. It's quite a solid mid range TV.
post #15317 of 19190 Old 05-11-2018, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post

Thank you!
Here's my two cents on viewing Bosch via Amazon Prime - I found the plain old 1080p version to be much clearer with sharper focus and better colors than the 4K version. That's after upscaling to 4K. (Especially the night scenes overlooking Los Angeles from Harry's pad.) Go figure. There is a lot of "fake" 4K/HDR that isn't 4K from start to finish - from camera work to post processing. I suspect that is the case with Bosch.

I'm not sure I'd mess with HDR10 to HLG. I'm not sure what that gets you. Lastly - unless we know your settings, it's hard to match experiences and provide any comments on your picture quality. You certainly have a fast enough Internet connection. Wi-Fi or ethernet connected? If you have a strong signal - it shouldn't matter. Amazon Prime does stumble and bumble at times. Even on my hard line connection. Bezos is frying bigger fish than to worry about Amazon Prime streaming. ARC can be real finicky with Amazon Prime streaming, as well.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #15318 of 19190 Old 05-11-2018, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman View Post
Input lag in Game (and Graphics) mode is 30-35ms, it's over a hundred in any other picture mode. It's up to you if that's important or not.
Yeah I know about the input lag, I meant is game mode ok for watching movies. Like the picture quality isnt worse. I dont use any of the picture processing features or motion stuff and all the other settings I have the same in game as I do in cinema.
post #15319 of 19190 Old 05-11-2018, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah I know about the input lag, I meant is game mode ok for watching movies. Like the picture quality isnt worse. I dont use any of the picture processing features or motion stuff and all the other settings I have the same in game as I do in cinema.
Gotcha, yeah Game is actually really good for general content, if you're using your console for movies, streaming, just leave it on Game.
I run it like you, virtually the same setup as C-Pro, if forced to choose one mode for everything, then I'd run Game.
Mauer likes this.
post #15320 of 19190 Old 05-12-2018, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman View Post
The colors in game mode seem just a little bit more dull than other modes imo. Just a tad darker...and settings between my custom and game modes are set exactly the same except for motion
post #15321 of 19190 Old 05-12-2018, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedHelp123 View Post
The colors in game mode seem just a little bit more dull than other modes imo. Just a tad darker...and settings between my custom and game modes are set exactly the same except for motion
There are differences between modes with brightness, Custom is dimmer than C-Pro, C-Home is brighter than both, etc.
This is explained well here; https://referencehometheater.com/rev...00e-tv-review/
You can try to calibrate around that, use different inputs for different sources, or use auto picture mode.
post #15322 of 19190 Old 05-12-2018, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quick question: So my 75X900E will be showing up on Tuesday, I want to make sure the first thing I watch on it with my family 'pops' and looks fantastic. I've been considering buying the Xbox One S and upgrading my receiver or buying the Sony X700 stand-alone player for some UHD discs. Is there going to be a big quality difference between streaming content and the physical media?

Also, does anyone in here use Bias lighting with this TV? Any suggestions on one that works well if you do?
post #15323 of 19190 Old 05-12-2018, 10:41 AM

Liked: 12
Hello all,
Been a member a long time. Pop in and out when i can. Finally retired myPN50B650 for an XBR65X900E about a month ago. TV is a MONSTER. Learning the ins and outs of Android tv now. Been playing with android phones for years now so its a familiar environment at least.

I use mine mostly for streaming and at least %50 of the time im using a pc on it in game mode. Hell i don't even have a cable box in the same room with it.

Looked at a lot of tvs before i found this one saw a great deal on slickdeals and bit the bullet. Glad i did as this thing is beautiful for the $ i paid.

Anyway looks like have a lot of reading to catch up on. 500 pages wow. If i ask a repetitive question i apologize in advanced.
Hetfieldjames likes this.
post #15324 of 19190 Old 05-12-2018, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I tried the SDR to HDR option (setting HDR manually) for 4K and 1080p movies, I must say some 4K videos could handle HDR10 pretty well while 1080p videos HLG, though many of them had the highlights and red color blown out, any tricks to use the SDR to HDR feature more successfully?
post #15325 of 19190 Old 05-12-2018, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 1065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveindajeep View Post
Hello all,
Been a member a long time. Pop in and out when i can. Finally retired myPN50B650 for an XBR65X900E about a month ago. TV is a MONSTER. Learning the ins and outs of Android tv now. Been playing with android phones for years now so its a familiar environment at least.

I use mine mostly for streaming and at least %50 of the time im using a pc on it in game mode. Hell i don't even have a cable box in the same room with it.

Looked at a lot of tvs before i found this one saw a great deal on slickdeals and bit the bullet. Glad i did as this thing is beautiful for the $ i paid.

Anyway looks like have a lot of reading to catch up on. 500 pages wow. If i ask a repetitive question i apologize in advanced.
Congrats, it's a great display. The only thing I kick myself about is not getting the 65 inch. I'm about 9 feet away and the 55 inch looks great but 65 would have been a whole lot better.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #15326 of 19190 Old 05-12-2018, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
Whee...Stanley Cup hockey action via OTA and NBC. Incredible colors and sharpness on my Sony 75" 900E. I can see the teeny yellow squares on the announcers tie. Looks like Bluray quality to me.

The Vegas Golden Knights are a great story but I'm rooting for the Winnipeg Jets. No Canadian team has won the Cup since 1993. I'd like to see the Caps versus the Jets in the finals.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #15327 of 19190 Old 05-12-2018, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
New owner of a Sony 55” 900e, woot! Well, except it looks blurry no matter where the content comes from (usb, streaming). I reset the picture settings to factory, what could it be? 4K looks 720p
post #15328 of 19190 Old 05-12-2018, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked: 249
I just picked up an open box 65X900E at Best Buy for an insane price. I know I'm taking a risk by purchasing a floor model but I got the Geek Squad 2yr warranty so I'm covered if something goes really wrong.

Now I have 2 comparable 65" TVs. I'm going to be laid up for an extended period of time after back surgery and I'm wondering which one I should wall mount in my bedroom - the Sony or the Vizio P65-E1 I purchased in Dec?

The wall opposite my (adjustable) bed is ~10ft away, so it will be a good distance. I also just purchased a Yamaha ATS-1070 soundbar to go under it.

The Sony doesn't have the stand so if I decide to put it in the living room I'm going to have to buy one first (or just mount both TVs).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have tons of space in my living room, I'm kind of sorry now I didn't get a bigger TV to begin with but when I bought the Vizio I didn't have as much space. I could easily do 75-80 in my current living room and still have space left over.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #15329 of 19190 Old 05-12-2018, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
I just picked up an open box 65X900E at Best Buy for an insane price. I know I'm taking a risk by purchasing a floor model but I got the Geek Squad 2yr warranty so I'm covered if something goes really wrong.

Now I have 2 comparable 65" TVs. I'm going to be laid up for an extended period of time after back surgery and I'm wondering which one I should wall mount in my bedroom - the Sony or the Vizio P65-E1 I purchased in Dec?

The wall opposite my (adjustable) bed is ~10ft away, so it will be a good distance. I also just purchased a Yamaha ATS-1070 soundbar to go under it.

The Sony doesn't have the stand so if I decide to put it in the living room I'm going to have to buy one first (or just mount both TVs).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have tons of space in my living room, I'm kind of sorry now I didn't get a bigger TV to begin with but when I bought the Vizio I didn't have as much space. I could easily do 75-80 in my current living room and still have space left over.

Personally I prefer the Vizio for my main tv meaning movies, sports & shows. It is not as bright as My X900E which is the only thing i wish my Vizio had. But the Sony is in my bedroom that i mostly use for gaming and once in a while sports/movies/shows.

Vizio P65-E1 // Sony XBR49X900E
Sony Ht-ST5000 // RCA RTS7015B
Chromcast Ultra // Apple TV 4K
PS4 PRO
post #15330 of 19190 Old 05-12-2018, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by leojj25 View Post
Personally I prefer the Vizio for my main tv meaning movies, sports & shows. It is not as bright as My X900E which is the only thing i wish my Vizio had. But the Sony is in my bedroom that i mostly use for gaming and once in a while sports/movies/shows.
You also have both? I just thought of something- the Sony has the Android TV interface and I already have a Shield in the living room for the Vizio- and there's not much point in using the Shield on the X900E, it would be a bit redundant.

I'll probably just keep the Vizio in the living room.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page