2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 514 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40381Likes

post #15391 of 19187 Old 05-14-2018, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfid View Post
I'll look to see if I can hide that input when I get home tonight. I didn't know DirectTV was an 'input' to the TV. Where is the DirectTV connector on the back? What is 'RVU'?
On the Nvidia Shield, I can 'disable' system apps in the settings, and the icon won't show up on the home screen. Can I do that on this TV?
RVU (R-View) is a network-based protocol that allows a remote device to send content to your panel over your home network. It works with a number of different devices, not just DirecTV. Because it's network-based and is a protocol, the spec calls for areas in the communication for the sending device to identify itself. That's how the TV knows it's the DTV box, specifically.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15392 of 19187 Old 05-14-2018, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
Hi there. Congrats on the new set. I would go with the stand alone Sony 4k player over the Xbox One S. I have a One S and a Sony x800 4k player and the 4k player is easily a better picture on both normal blu ray and 4k blu ray (4k HDR looks way better on the Sony player)

4k discs will look better than streaming for sure. A few good 4k discs to have would be Pacific Rim, Passengers, John Wick 2, and X-Men Apocalypse (X-Men looks freaking AMAZING)

I have gotten a lot of good feedback on my picture settings. Some don't like them and others love them. I like a picture with a little more contrast and pop than a "Pro Calibrated" picture. I like colors that are a bit more vibrant than realistic. I think my settings provide a little extra punch without being too overblown. Check out these videos I posted on YouTube to get started and hopefully you'll have a good enough idea of what each setting does to adjust on your own if you don't like mine as a baseline to start with.

By the way, I also use bias lighting and think it's a must. There is a little bit of blooming into the black bars but (which can be greatly reduced by lowering black levels just a tad and making sure you aren't watching the tv with too much of a tilt forward in it- more on that in my YouTube videos) but bias lighting makes it almost invisible...

4k HDR settings- https://youtu.be/MLlFPUSswkU

Standard settings-https://youtu.be/JUeu25SX178

Example of bias lighting effectiveness-https://youtu.be/qrw4eCk9SUo (This is a 55 inch 930d, not my 75 inch 900e)

Some recent pics

Passengers 4k
War for Planet of the Apes - Standard Blu Ray
Thor Ragnarok 4k

Oh and a word on motion settings. In movies (24 frames per second content) panning shots have a little bit of jerkiness to them because the pixel response time on this tv is so good. You can alleviate that by using the following motion settings. It smooths things out very well with a tiny bit of soap opera effect but it still looks very natural and doesn't wash out the colors or ad any artifacting
Motionflow Custom
Smoothness 1
Clearness Min
Cinemotion Medium.
Thank you!

Any suggestion on players? I was looking at the x700 but also an XBOX One S (my kids would play games on it). The perk of a standalone player is the dual audio so I wouldn't have to update my receiver just yet. I can't wait, it's supposed to be here between 1-3pm tomorrow.. I'm so freaking excited!
djaymich likes this.
post #15393 of 19187 Old 05-14-2018, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 108
WHO CAN HELP WITH MY PROBLEM?

So I have the optical out from my TV (75" 900E) to my stereo that easily switches over to DD / DTS when the signal is there.

When I use the built in Google system to watch things like Netflix etc. it will switch over to DD or DTS depending on the movie or show.

BUT ... I have an external hard drive hooked up to the TV with .MKV movies on them that look InSaNe BUT when I start a movie that is DD or DTS it will not switch to any of those audio formats and I just get Stereo or I have to pick some weird sounding simulated option.

If I use any type of external Google box like ShieldTV etc. it will switch over to to the proper format but from the TV to the stereo it Will Not when coming from the external HD ... But will work when using an app like Netflix, etc. and Then is will switch to say DD.

Something wrong here? Do I need a certain setting to make this work?

Also I am using Kodi to play movies

HELP!!!!!!!

Thanks to anyone who can help a guy out there cause I Gotta have my DD/DTS when watching a movie.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15394 of 19187 Old 05-14-2018, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where is the manual power button on the 75" 900e. I've looked all over the internet and asked best buy and they did not know. I come home and my tv won't turn on. I've replaced the batteries in my remote.

Thanks
post #15395 of 19187 Old 05-14-2018, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post

So I have the optical out from my TV (75" 900E) to my stereo that easily switches over to DD / DTS when the signal is there.

When I use the built in Google system to watch things like Netflix etc. it will switch over to DD or DTS depending on the movie or show.

BUT ... I have an external hard drive hooked up to the TV with .MKV movies on them that look InSaNe BUT when I start a movie that is DD or DTS it will not switch to any of those audio formats and I just get Stereo or I have to pick some weird sounding simulated option.

If I use any type of external Google box like ShieldTV etc. it will switch over to to the proper format but from the TV to the stereo it Will Not when coming from the external HD ... But will work when using an app like Netflix, etc. and Then is will switch to say DD.

HELP!!!!!!!

Thanks to anyone who can help a guy out there cause I Gotta have my DD/DTS when watching a movie.

Thanks
Sounds like whatever app you're using to play the content back either doesn't support anything but stereo or it's choosing the stereo audio track instead of something "better". Check the settings and see if there's is something you need to adjust, or try a different program (app) to play them back that you know supports the audio format you're hoping for (and know is encoded in the MKV files).
post #15396 of 19187 Old 05-14-2018, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 69
So its not a Dead pixel but looks broken???? You have to zoom in to see but it actually still has Color but looks smashed. Can anyone help me figure this out?

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk
post #15397 of 19187 Old 05-14-2018, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by trophybuck135 View Post
Where is the manual power button on the 75" 900e. I've looked all over the internet and asked best buy and they did not know. I come home and my tv won't turn on. I've replaced the batteries in my remote.

Thanks
Bottom back left corner

Last edited by JKidd10; 05-14-2018 at 08:49 PM.
post #15398 of 19187 Old 05-14-2018, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
Sounds like whatever app you're using to play the content back either doesn't support anything but stereo or it's choosing the stereo audio track instead of something "better". Check the settings and see if there's is something you need to adjust, or try a different program (app) to play them back that you know supports the audio format you're hoping for (and know is encoded in the MKV files).
I have since tried other apps like MX Player, VLC, etc. and Still nothing for some reason.

I know it outputs DD and DTS from the TV to my receiver cause others apps like I said Netflix and others will switch it over to DD .... But nothing from my HD with movies on it.

And I even moved it over to another old streaming device (WD TV Live) and just played the movies through there using the same optical cable and my receiver switches over to DD and DTS.

Some damn reason I cannot get it to work out of the TV to receiver when playing from the HD.

Kinda bummed at this as I was told before it would.
post #15399 of 19187 Old 05-14-2018, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks
Bottom left side on the back of TV is the power button (you will see 3 buttons back there and 1 is power)
post #15400 of 19187 Old 05-15-2018, 03:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have since tried other apps like MX Player, VLC, etc. and Still nothing for some reason.

I know it outputs DD and DTS from the TV to my receiver cause others apps like I said Netflix and others will switch it over to DD .... But nothing from my HD with movies on it.

And I even moved it over to another old streaming device (WD TV Live) and just played the movies through there using the same optical cable and my receiver switches over to DD and DTS.

Some damn reason I cannot get it to work out of the TV to receiver when playing from the HD.

Kinda bummed at this as I was told before it would.
Transcode the MKV files into a different container (MP4, maybe?) with the audio set up correctly and see what happens. MKV is a popular container, but it's quirky (IMHO) and not all players handle it nicely.

I have a TON of content in MKV containers on a Plex server and the Plex app decodes it all correctly. I honestly haven't tried it using other apps on the set and playing from a USB stick.
post #15401 of 19187 Old 05-15-2018, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake1990wilson View Post
So its not a Dead pixel but looks broken???? You have to zoom in to see but it actually still has Color but looks smashed. Can anyone help me figure this out?

Dead pixels are normally black. What answer are you hoping for?
post #15402 of 19187 Old 05-15-2018, 06:00 AM

So you think it's a Dead Pixel? I was hoping that it was something fixable lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Scott View Post
Dead pixels are normally black. What answer are you hoping for?
post #15403 of 19187 Old 05-15-2018, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6668 Post(s)
Liked: 6661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake1990wilson View Post
What is there to figure out, it's flawed just like every other TV made. Your screen would have to be replaced to fix it. Is it really worth it when the next one may be worse, I know I would not swap it for that......
post #15404 of 19187 Old 05-15-2018, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

QUESTION ....

Why is it occasionally when I turn my TV on (75" 900E) it defaults to HDMI 1???

I have my main cable on HDMI 2 so now I have to change the input back to two to get my programming back.

It's only occurs every so often (maybe once or twice a week) but when it does it just pisses me off.

Anyone ever had this issue?
post #15405 of 19187 Old 05-15-2018, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
QUESTION ....

I have my main cable on HDMI 2 so now I have to change the input back to two to get my programming back.

It's only occurs every so often (maybe once or twice a week) but when it does it just pisses me off.

I have a similar problem, i initially set my directv receiver on HDMI 3. Since then i changed it to HDMI 2 and am not using 3 however my tv will sometimes come on to 3 and other times 2. I cant figure out how to get it to forget about HDMI 3 maybe i need to run the setup program again?
post #15406 of 19187 Old 05-15-2018, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextar View Post
Thank you!

Any suggestion on players? I was looking at the x700 but also an XBOX One S (my kids would play games on it). The perk of a standalone player is the dual audio so I wouldn't have to update my receiver just yet. I can't wait, it's supposed to be here between 1-3pm tomorrow.. I'm so freaking excited!
I had issues with my Xbox One S playing 4k HDR correctly. I bought the Sony X800 and love it. The only thing I don't like is that when I rip my 4k blu rays to external hard drive (using MakeMKV) the player doesn't recognize 7.1 audio via MKV files...But I don't even have a sound system that plays 7.1 audio anyway so using 5.1 is just fine. I think the X700 will eventually support dolby vision HDR (which the 900e won't) so it's techinically more future proof. But if you plan on keeping the 900e for a while I'd get whichever is cheaper.

But I wouldn't use the Xbox One S for 4k blu rays...

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
post #15407 of 19187 Old 05-15-2018, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
QUESTION ....

If you always want to go to an HDMI input when turning on the TV do the following:
1) Assign the TV button to the input you want to have the TV turn on to: HOME > Settings > External inputs > Customize TV key > select the input
2) When the TV is off press the TV button on the remote and the TV will wake up and go to that input.
mgh26 likes this.
post #15408 of 19187 Old 05-15-2018, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omston View Post
I have a similar problem, i initially set my directv receiver on HDMI 3. Since then i changed it to HDMI 2 and am not using 3 however my tv will sometimes come on to 3 and other times 2. I cant figure out how to get it to forget about HDMI 3 maybe i need to run the setup program again?
Ya I did the same ... initially setup my TiVo on HDMI1 but then found that 2 and 3 were better for 4K HDR so I switched.

But now randomly it just pops back to HDMI sometimes like it thinks it should be on that input or something.

And I've even gone into the settings and turned off HDMI but it still defaults back to that input occasionally for some stupid reason ... get's really damn annoying.

I thought I wouldn't have these odd issues being such a quality TV but it really is not all that great so far with this issue and a couple others it is having.

And I tried running setup over again as well and it still does it.
post #15409 of 19187 Old 05-15-2018, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400MHz MAN View Post
If you always want to go to an HDMI input when turning on the TV do the following:
1) Assign the TV button to the input you want to have the TV turn on to: HOME > Settings > External inputs > Customize TV key > select the input
2) When the TV is off press the TV button on the remote and the TV will wake up and go to that input.
I have done this and assigned the TiVo that I want it to wake up to as HDMI2

But I do not use the Sony Remote to turn on the TV ... so when powering on the TV with my other TiVo remote I of course don't have that option .... and honestly I should just be able to press "Power" and it go back to my last input and not just change on it's own.

But then of course when it does I have to find the sony remote to hit TV so it goes back to HDMI2 where it should have been already.
post #15410 of 19187 Old 05-15-2018, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked: 673
Quote:
Ya I did the same ... initially setup my TiVo on HDMI1 but then found that 2 and 3 were better for 4K HDR so I switched.

But now randomly it just pops back to HDMI sometimes like it thinks it should be on that input or something.

And I've even gone into the settings and turned off HDMI but it still defaults back to that input occasionally for some stupid reason ... get's really damn annoying.

I thought I wouldn't have these odd issues being such a quality TV but it really is not all that great so far with this issue and a couple others it is having.

And I tried running setup over again as well and it still does it.
Literally never had this issue. What do you have plugged into HDMI 1?

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
post #15411 of 19187 Old 05-15-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
What is there to figure out, it's flawed just like every other TV made. Your screen would have to be replaced to fix it. Is it really worth it when the next one may be worse, I know I would not swap it for that......
I understand just sucks Because ive owned it for only a year . I was hoping it be ok until at least 2020 when I move to oled hopefully. It's jus annoying that it's there even though I can't see it unless I'm on top of the tv looking for it.

post #15412 of 19187 Old 05-15-2018, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
Literally never had this issue. What do you have plugged into HDMI 1?
Nothing .... HDMI 1 is empty and turned off in the input settings.

But it still maybe once every few days will wake up to being on HDMI1 when it it is always turned off running HDMI2

So damn annoying
post #15413 of 19187 Old 05-15-2018, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:

Thanks
The power button on the back lower left corner may not turn it on again. This happens to me about once a month. The solution is to unplug the TV for 10-15 minutes and then plug it back in, and it will reboot normally from the remote.

I've never had to use the manual power button, nor has it worked when I've tried in this situation.
post #15414 of 19187 Old 05-15-2018, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Nothing .... HDMI 1 is empty and turned off in the input settings.

But it still maybe once every few days will wake up to being on HDMI1 when it it is always turned off running HDMI2

So damn annoying
You should do a factory reset.
post #15415 of 19187 Old 05-15-2018, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Is there a way to detect OTA signal strength for testing the best orientation for an antenna?
My old Sony TV (xbr9) with the cross-bar menu like the PS3 had a support menu with a signal strength bar and tuner data.

Home>Help>Signal Diagnostics

Also - check out www.antennaweb.org

It's a great resource to determine what channels you can receive as well as orientation on where they are being broadcast from. (A visual map from your location/address showing West, East, North & South.)
I found the Help icon that isn't there on the Nvidia Shield for the signal diagnostics. I thought it would be in the settings menu.

Yes, a map to the towers is needed for the 'ballpark' direction to point a 'directional' antenna, but the fine tuning needs feedback data from the received signal itself. I set up an IP/Wifi camera with my old phone pointed at the TV when the signal diagnostics are displayed. I use another phone to view the camera feed while rotating the antenna on the roof.
post #15416 of 19187 Old 05-15-2018, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
You should do a factory reset.
Are you using any kind of HDMI control like Bravia Sync?

If yes, I'll bet that is the issue. I had the TV switch itself to HDMI 1 when there was no input on HDMI when when switching to Blu-ray when the UBP-X800 was connected to HDMI2. I even set the external inputs to disable HDMI 1 and it still would switch to HDMI 1.

I finally said the hell with it, disabled the HDMI switching hocus-pocus and just switch things by hand with audio out from optical rather than audio return channel. I only lose Dolby Digital on some of the apps like HBOGO. This is a small price to pay for keeping my sanity and my wife's complaints to a minimum.
post #15417 of 19187 Old 05-15-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
RVU (R-View) is a network-based protocol that allows a remote device to send content to your panel over your home network. It works with a number of different devices, not just DirecTV. Because it's network-based and is a protocol, the spec calls for areas in the communication for the sending device to identify itself. That's how the TV knows it's the DTV box, specifically.
Isn't TCP/IP a 'network-based protocol' that sends content to a TV, and commonly called 'streaming'? Don't devices already 'identify' themselves using a MAC address? Do you mean RVU is a 'bridge' between streamed (TCP/IP) content and HDMI inputs, or 'virtual' HDMI inputs? I don't have a DirectTV box on my network or equipment in my house. The DTV 'input' listing is just spam from Sony. I have no use for RVU so I 'hid' them in the 'manage inputs' menu. Now if I could only remove the rest of Sony's home screen spam, I'll be happy.
post #15418 of 19187 Old 05-15-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:

HELP!!!!!!!

Thanks
Maybe it's the USB port on the TV. Did you try the USB3 port? You could also plug the HD into the Shield's USB port, and run Kodi on the Shield with passthrough (bitstreaming) to the TV over HDMI. I'm assuming you're using the TV's speakers and not an AVR. You could also plug the HD into a router's USB port and use a DLNA server like 'ReadyShare' to an app on the TV. Try using the native TV's 'Video' app.
Kodi loaded onto the Sony TV directly will not passthrough DTS from my movie rips (not MKVs), but the native Sony Video app will, and Kodi on the Shield will pass DTS over HDMI from the same movie rips.
post #15419 of 19187 Old 05-15-2018, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Isn't TCP/IP a 'network-based protocol' that sends content to a TV, and commonly called 'streaming'? Don't devices already 'identify' themselves using a MAC address? Do you mean RVU is a 'bridge' between streamed (TCP/IP) content and HDMI inputs, or 'virtual' HDMI inputs? I don't have a DirectTV box on my network or equipment in my house. The DTV 'input' listing is just spam from Sony. I have no use for RVU so I 'hid' them in the 'manage inputs' menu. Now if I could only remove the rest of Sony's home screen spam, I'll be happy.
Not quite...

TCP/IP (Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol) is a network-level communication protocol used to transfer data between two IP endpoints on a connected network. HTTPS, as an example, is an application-level protocol used to transmit data between two specific types of endpoints (web browser and web server) and it -leverages- the network protocol TCP/IP to facilitate this. RVU is a lot like HTTPS or DLNA/UPNP because they are endpoint-specific application-level protocols that use the TCP/IP network-level protocol "under the hood".

Streaming is the simultaneous downloading and displaying of audio/video data from a specific server using an app that's purpose-built. This is not at all a protocol and instead the description of a general type of service. The underlying network protocol used by all streaming services is still TCP/IP, though, as that's what makes the Internet go 'round.

MAC (Media Access Control) addresses are unique hardware-level addresses that are assigned to every single piece of gear that is capable of connecting to a network so that they can uniquely identify themselves. It is used ONLY at layer 2 (TCP/IP works at Layers 2 through 4), and is generally only used to correlate a specific IP with a specific connected piece of hardware that can receive network packets for the particular IP. These addresses are made up of 12 hexadecimal (0-9,A-F) characters with the first six characters being unique to a specific manufacturer. For example, everyone's 900E will have the same first six characters associated with their WiFi radio in their TV as everyone else - the second six characters make it unique. These addresses are used ONLY on the local network and have absolutely nothing to do with transmitting or receiving data across the internet (except that, without a MAC address, the device would be unable to acquire and use an IP Address which DOES facilitate Internet connectivity).

The RVU listing is not "spam from Sony" as it will appear on -ANY- display device that supports RVU while connected to the same network as a RVU-compatible transmitting device (like the DTV box).

What "home screen spam" are you trying to get rid of? Why don't you just add the apps you want to the Discover menu and not use that home screen at all?
bradman likes this.
post #15420 of 19187 Old 05-15-2018, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Maybe it's the USB port on the TV. Did you try the USB3 port? You could also plug the HD into the Shield's USB port, and run Kodi on the Shield with passthrough (bitstreaming) to the TV over HDMI. I'm assuming you're using the TV's speakers and not an AVR. You could also plug the HD into a router's USB port and use a DLNA server like 'ReadyShare' to an app on the TV. Try using the native TV's 'Video' app.
Kodi loaded onto the Sony TV directly will not passthrough DTS from my movie rips (not MKVs), but the native Sony Video app will, and Kodi on the Shield will pass DTS over HDMI from the same movie rips.
The different USB ports are only different in the transfer rate they will support. The speed of data transfer to the TV will not impact the TV's ability to decode DD versus stereo. If it were related to transfer speed rates, the audio would be choppy but it would still be decoding DD correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e