2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 522 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40452Likes

post #15631 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
Quote:
This is a problem with your internet connection. I watch HDR stuff on Amazon without issue.
Sorry, but "it works for me" isn't a valid test to determine that my Internet connection is to blame without taking into account the TV, app, Amazon account, specific content, router, environment, and about a dozen other variables are or aren't to blame. Additionally, my two decades as a computer network engineer says that it isn't the connection as I've been testing a variety of things already.

At the end of the day, the source of my problem is irrelevant - I want the option to turn off HDR and watch in 4K only when there's some sort of hiccup..
Well 4k content works fine for me also and the problem you describe screams network/internet slowdowns. Search the TVs google play store for "Analiti" and install. Run the network tests. It will tell you if your connection is good for 4k content internally and via the internet. Run the tests a few times to get a good feel for the stability of your connection. This will help eliminate one possible issue. Best I can offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15632 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Would bumping up the gamma during HDR ruin anything picture wise? I was watching It on 4K disc and some parts are so dark. I’ve watched the regular bluray and there’s definitely things I can see that I can’t on the 4K disc.

A good example is the beginning with Pennywise in the storm drain. On the bluray I can see most of his face and part of a wall next to him, on the 4K its pitch black and you can only make out his mouth and eyes.

Last edited by Mauer; 05-22-2018 at 09:10 AM.
post #15633 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer View Post
Would bumping up the gamma during HDR ruin anything picture wise? I was watching It on 4K disc and some parts are so dark. I’ve watched the regular bluray and there’s definitely things I can see that I can’t on the 4K disc.

A good example is the beginning with Pennywise in the storm drain. On the bluray I can see most of his face and part of a wall next to him, on the 4K its pitch black and you can only make out his mouth and eyes.
That is not normal, are you sure you are running HDR or tweaked some settings? I have that 4K Blu ray and it was fine. Enhanced HDMI must be enabled for it to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15634 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
Is there any way to get DTS to passthrough with Kodi/SPMC? No matter what I do I can't get my 65X900E to passthrough to my YAS-107 connected to ARC.

It seems to work with the built in video player but not Kodi.

Should I just give in a buy a cheap dedicated android box/4k Fire TV just for Kodi?
Me too. Isn't that a pain? I hate the native video player's interface, but it functions well, including DTS passthrough. Kodi DTS bitstream is not on the audio options along with AC3, but I don't know why.
I have a Nvidia Shield and a Dish AirTV player that I feed directly into a 65x900E over HDMI, and Kodi does DTS passthrough over HDMI ARC to a Visio sound bar. The amber 'DTS' decode LED lights on the sound bar like it should. So yes, this along with other reasons force me to use a separate Android TV device.

The other main reason is the Sling app on the TV, when set to unlimited quality, blanks out the screen for a second at frequent random intervals. If I set the quality to a limit of 2.8 Mbps, the picture is pixelated badly. I don't have a very fast DSL connection ( 8Mbps), but the blank screens don't occur on any other device on the same network when set to unlimited quality, and there's no pixelation.

Sony Android TV interface = Fail.

Last edited by Tfid; 05-22-2018 at 09:54 AM.
post #15635 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic dog View Post
Well 4k content works fine for me also and the problem you describe screams network/internet slowdowns. Search the TVs google play store for "Analiti" and install. Run the network tests. It will tell you if your connection is good for 4k content internally and via the internet. Run the tests a few times to get a good feel for the stability of your connection. This will help eliminate one possible issue. Best I can offer.
I've ran that 'Analiti' app and it's speed calculations are correct, but the conclusions are a bit subjective. It says my DSL at 8Mbps can only handle 1080P streams, but I can stream UHD, HDR titles from the Vudu app just fine. Youtube and maybe Google Play Movies at 4K are a no-go however. I don't have an Amazon or Netflix account, or any 4K rips on my server, so Vudu, YouTube and GPM are the only 4K streaming sources for me to test. I also don't know if I can turn off HDR for app sources with OTA set up.
post #15636 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recall View Post
That is not normal, are you sure you are running HDR or tweaked some settings? I have that 4K Blu ray and it was fine. Enhanced HDMI must be enabled for it to work.
Its running HDR, I’m pretty sure I never changed the HDR settings. This is what I got

Cinema Pro

Brightness max
Contrast 90
Gamma 0
Black Level 50
Black adjust Off
Adv. Contrast Off
Auto local dimming. Medium
Xtended Range High

Color 50
Hue 0
Color temp Expert 1
Live color Off

Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Off
Random Noise Off
Digital Noise Off
Smooth Gradation Low

Motionflow Off
Cinemotion Off

All video options on Auto.
post #15637 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:

This has been my experience as well and my settings are very similar to yours (Think I'm running Cinema Home rather than Pro). I watched Black Panther Sunday night and bumped the gamma up to +2 since things were just wayyyy too dark, and after the increase it was gorgeous. I've noticed some other HDR things (Batman V Superman, Justice League, Altered Carbon on Netflix) were very dark as well and I find myself fiddling with settings to try to get them brighter. Looks fantastic once dialed in but I've never had to do this with any other kind of content.
johnbrooke26 and Mauer like this.
post #15638 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1928 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
I agree with this. HDR on the 900E should be absolutely stunning. HDR on my 900E is absolutely stunning. Something is off or not right.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #15639 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
It's odd, I'm only seeing this with the Picture Settings menu, no others, but not when accessed through the Home menu, ONLY the Action Menu. And repeated attempts don't seem to produce faster recall.

I can't imagine what might have changed for us in the last week or so that would cause this.
Hi guys, the solution is to I uninstall the latest Google search update. Then turn off automatics updates until it is fixed. You can install 3.2 from apk mirror.
Thanks Recall!

It works! nice find.
Only thing is can't find where to turn off auto updates.

Where do I find that?
Thanks

Sony 65" X900E Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-Ray Roku Ultra, Apple TV 4K
Onkyo TX-nr656
Polk S15s, S35 and TL1 satellite rears, TL1 satellite heights Atmos 5.1.2
HSU VTF-2 MK5
post #15640 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Ok. So I just put it on again to take pics and it looks fine. I didnt change anything so I dont know, I use my xbox one x as my player so maybe it didnt engage HDR right last time or something. Anyway, Thanks.
post #15641 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfid View Post
Quote:
Is there any way to get DTS to passthrough with Kodi/SPMC? No matter what I do I can't get my 65X900E to passthrough to my YAS-107 connected to ARC.

It seems to work with the built in video player but not Kodi.

Should I just give in a buy a cheap dedicated android box/4k Fire TV just for Kodi?
Me too. Isn't that a pain? I hate the native video player's interface, but it functions well, including DTS passthrough. Kodi DTS bitstream is not on the audio options along with AC3, but I don't know why.
I have a Nvidia Shield and a Dish AirTV player that I feed directly into a 65x900E over HDMI, and Kodi does DTS passthrough over HDMI ARC to a Visio sound bar. The amber 'DTS' decode LED lights on the sound bar like it should. So yes, this along with other reasons force me to use a separate Android TV device.

The other main reason is the Sling app on the TV, when set to unlimited quality, blanks out the screen for a second at frequent random intervals. If I set the quality to a limit of 2.8 Mbps, the picture is pixelated badly. I don't have a very fast DSL connection ( 8Mbps), but the blank screens don't occur on any other device on the same network when set to unlimited quality, and there's no pixelation.

Sony Android TV interface = Fail.
SPMC has the option to bitstream DTS but it doesn't work. You can set it to transpose to DD.

I might just buy a cheap Android box exclusively for Kodi but it needs to have solid 5Ghz. There are so many of them I have no idea what to buy.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #15642 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
SPMC has the option to bitstream DTS but it doesn't work. You can set it to transpose to DD.

I might just buy a cheap Android box exclusively for Kodi but it needs to have solid 5Ghz. There are so many of them I have no idea what to buy.
If you're in the USA. Nvidia Shield ( fastest), Channel Master Stream+ ( Dual OTA tuners), Dish AirTV player ( Boots to Sling app w/ OTA integration ), Chromecast Ultra ( no interface/ remote).
Those would be my choices for Android TV.
For regular Android, I would only consider one: Minix U9-H w/ A3 remote.
post #15643 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1468 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Ok. So I just put it on again to take pics and it looks fine. I didnt change anything so I dont know, I use my xbox one x as my player so maybe it didnt engage HDR right last time or something. Anyway, Thanks.
Xbox One is known for not being the best for hdr blu ray. I got a stand alone Sony 4k player because an update borked HDR on my xbox one s. That was months ago but i've heard they still haven't gotten it right...

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820
Sony 65xZ9D (Living room)
Sony 65xA9F (Bedroom)
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
post #15644 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone else have an issue with their X900E unit not allowing them to access auto local dimming and x-tended dynamic range? Every time I go to the advance settings and then select brightness. Those options aren’t there.
post #15645 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
If you're in the USA. Nvidia Shield ( fastest), Channel Master Stream+ ( Dual OTA tuners), Dish AirTV player ( Boots to Sling app w/ OTA integration ), Chromecast Ultra ( no interface/ remote).
Those would be my choices for Android TV.
For regular Android, I would only consider one: Minix U9-H w/ A3 remote.
I need one that can handle HDR and bitstream lossless audio. The Ultra is locked at 60Hz isn't it? I already have a Shield, I'm not going to shell out for another just for Kodi. Can the other ones you mentioned handle HDR?

Last edited by DaveFi; 05-22-2018 at 03:34 PM.
post #15646 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 04:44 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7475 Post(s)
Liked: 7514
post #15647 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I might end up being the last person who gets one. Hopefully the one I get works, because I don’t want a refurbished unit as a replacement.

I ordered mine about 3 weeks ago, but it’s not being delivered until June 2nd because I’m moving on the 1st.

I bought the 75”, and it’s replacing a Samsung PN59D8000 plasma that is still going strong but wanted something bigger for the new space.

Hopefully this one won’t make me pine for my Plasma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xbr75x900E and JVC RS420 with Elite 120" screen
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3060/RX-A3000, WXA-50 MusicCast Amp for Zone 2
L/C/R - B&W CM9/CMC2, Side - DS3, Rear - CM5, F/R Atmos - CCM663
Subs - SVS PB12+ and PB13 Ultra
Harmony Elite, ATV 4K, Nvidia Shield Pro, HDHomeRun Extend
post #15648 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Well I can tell you that the 900E are just about gone nationwide..... Great model, hate to see her go.....
We are SO glad I snagged one of the last 75"ers. I was hesitant to order online, but it came unscathed and works perfect! They had 17 left when I ordered, by the time it came last Thursday they were SOLD OUT!

I'm coming from a "Dumb" plasma, so I'm used to being able to just hit the INPUT button to jump from my TV signal, to my Roku, to my Chromecast with one button. I'm missing that easy surfing, isn't Smart TV supposed to be easier to use?

If I switch to the INPUT that my Roku is plugged into, how do I get back to the signal I having playing on the built-in Chromecast?! Or does that stop automatically when I switch away from it?
post #15649 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 06:30 PM

Damnit. I didn't want to spend any more money. I just bought a cheapie S912 box- I'll stick Librelec on there and be done with it.

post #15650 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1928 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
It will be very sad or it is very sad to see the 900E go.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #15651 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Since this is a bug Sony has no intention of fixing, the good news is, you actually have to seek out HDR content in Amazon. The default search and offerings tends to pull up only HD programs, and Amazon doesn't do 1080p HDR.

So you shouldn't ever need to shut off the HDR feature for any Amazon program you watch -- it simply won't be encoded in the first place.

@wesside has a more difficult challenge in that Netflix HDR can't be sidestepped if a program is encoded with it, without turning it off on the device.
So, how do I find and watch Jean-Claude Van Johnson in 4K -without- the HDR encoding? I want the UHD resolution, but I want to specifically avoid HDR-encoded content because it skips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic dog View Post
Thanks for the thoughts, and I agree that it does seem to imply a networking issue. However, 4K HDR content on Amazon is the ONLY condition under which this shows up. And I can't state with certainty that it's even ALL 4K HDR Amazon content...

I have zero issue with any 4K content from any provider. It's the addition of the HDR piece that throws it out of whack.

Quote:
I've ran that 'Analiti' app and it's speed calculations are correct, but the conclusions are a bit subjective. It says my DSL at 8Mbps can only handle 1080P streams, but I can stream UHD, HDR titles from the Vudu app just fine. Youtube and maybe Google Play Movies at 4K are a no-go however. I don't have an Amazon or Netflix account, or any 4K rips on my server, so Vudu, YouTube and GPM are the only 4K streaming sources for me to test. I also don't know if I can turn off HDR for app sources with OTA set up.
While I think it's great that there's a speed test tool, I can never give them "final say" in whether it's a networking issue or not. Evaluating your speeds against a specific set of systems on the Internet, using transfer mechanisms that don't align exactly with streaming content, means that you aren't testing the actual scenario. You are testing whether or not your first hop to the Internet has the potential to be large enough to support something specific, but the particular service itself is the final measure.

Netflix and Vudu have very different "requirements" for bandwidth in order to stream 4K content. So, one test wouldn't be able to validate both of them all of the time anyhow.
post #15652 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Has anyone tried to play any surround sound videos from the native Youtube app? Best I can tell I am only get a 2-channel feed to my A/V receiver via ARC. What am I over-looking? Thanks!
post #15653 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solid12345 View Post
So even if I output through a non-ARC HDMI port, it still won't carry the full audio signal out through the analog/headphone port?

Your player needs to feed an A/V receiver directly via HDMI to get the benefits of full resolution SACD. The second output of the x800 allows you to do that very easily. Again, even assuming the TV supports SACD playback, there will be doctoring of the signal lowering the resolution regardless of the output method from the TV (this will probably happen from the player since it will auto-sense HDMI capabilities of the connected display).

Last edited by bigsnyder; 05-22-2018 at 07:54 PM.
post #15654 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
So, how do I find and watch Jean-Claude Van Johnson in 4K -without- the HDR encoding? I want the UHD resolution, but I want to specifically avoid HDR-encoded content because it skips.

I haven't tried the Amazon app but with Netflix i can watch UHD content without HDR by turning off the HDR setting under Apps.

After doing that Netflix never engages HDR mode. But like i said, that setting is only available pre-ota programming.

Try factory reset, skip ota program, open up Amazon app, press Action Menu go to picture adjustment, and under Video Options, turn HDR mode to OFF.

Last edited by wesside; 05-22-2018 at 08:13 PM.
post #15655 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
You search for the show as usual. Amazon seems to by default pull up the HD version. You have to specifically go to the 4K UHD section to find the HDR version.

But I see what you're doing. And you're right, you can't eliminate HDR from 4K if the 4K offering is encoded in HDR.

That said, respectfully, I think it's a waste to watch anything in 4K without HDR, much less stream it. If you're not going to watch it in HDR, then you might as well save the bandwidth, and watch the HD version, which looks every bit as good as the 4K, assuming you're sitting a normal distance from the TV. If you're watching it from 4-feet then all bets are off. I fully expect you will vehemently disagree with me. To each his own.

However, if your problem is not being able to watch 4K Amazon Prime on the built-in app because it's encoded in HDR and otherwise stutters, then watching the HD version in 1080p without HDR seems to be the best option, considering your only other option is not to watch it. The reality is, most 4K content is likely only really little better than 1080p anyway, or maybe 2K. There's not a lot of legitimate 4K content. Add to that the compression issues in streaming, and it really is a waste of bandwidth, again unless you're sitting 4 feet away. But HDR is the real star of the 4K UHD TV. So it's kind of a waste if you're not using it. The upside is that 1080p loads and buffers faster allowing you to navigate around your app more quickly, which is true on both the internal apps and external boxes.

It's clear that you have issues with the 900E, and while it's not the solution you want, you should probably consider adding an external streamer box -- or learn to put up with the stuttering, live without HDR altogether per the suggestion from @wesside below, or watch the HD formats of Amazon's offerings.

Anyway, good luck.

Last edited by Mac128; 05-22-2018 at 10:09 PM.
post #15656 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnyder View Post
Has anyone tried to play any surround sound videos from the native Youtube app? Best I can tell I am only get a 2-channel feed to my A/V receiver via ARC. What am I over-looking? Thanks!
Youtube supports surround sound?

post #15657 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
I haven't tried the Amazon app but with Netflix i can watch UHD content without HDR by turning off the HDR setting under Apps.

After doing that Netflix never engages HDR mode. But like i said, that setting is only available pre-ota programming.

Try factory reset, skip ota program, open up Amazon app, press Action Menu go to picture adjustment, and under Video Options, turn HDR mode to OFF.
It will work with Amazon, as the TV considers the Amazon app a "Video" app, just like Netflix, and will affect ALL Video apps.

However, while I appreciate your tenacity, unless you never want to use HDR on the built-in apps, why would anyone go to all of that trouble each time they want to turn HDR off an on?

You would be well advised to buy an external streaming box, like a Roku, or Apple TV, Firestick, et al. if that's your goal. i know that's not the answer you're looking for, but that's reality at the moment, and likely for the foreseeable future.
post #15658 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Youtube supports surround sound?

It must because there are some dolby surround test tracks uploaded there.
post #15659 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnyder View Post
It must because there are some dolby surround test tracks uploaded there.
There's also 4K HDR tracks uploaded there, but few if any YouTube apps out there support it, including the app built-into this TV.
post #15660 of 19590 Old 05-22-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
There's also 4K HDR tracks uploaded there, but few if any YouTube apps out there support it, including the app built-into this TV.
What do you know. I tried playing the first episode of Cobra Kai with the Nvidia Shield's YT app and it kicked into PCM 5.1, so I guess it does work. Has anyone tried sideloading the Shield's YT app on their X900E to see what happens?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page