2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 542 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40414Likes

post #16231 of 19388 Old 06-28-2018, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1864 Post(s)
Liked: 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Personally, I turn all motion off. As far as I’m concerned, using these “enhancements” just cause other problems.

I did watch a little bit of soccer this past weekend and I didn’t see any frame jumping. As a sport, soccer to me is like watching paint dry. How bout that nil-nil game! I know there are a lot of soccer fans out there (especially with the World Cup) and it’s suppose to be the “World’s Sport,” but it’s just not my cup of tea.

Now - back to your regular programming...
I do not, I just don't get soccer at all. I don't know what the rest of the world sees. Anyway I'll be on the lookout for frame jumping. I don't know that I've ever seen it so probably not an issue.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16232 of 19388 Old 06-28-2018, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I'm honestly amazed that a lot of you having issues with the 900e panel are getting replaced with the 900f for something that I would've thought would be brushed off as a non issue - what countries/ warranty do you guys have? I've noticed something similar intermittently however if that is cause for a replacement to the 2018 model then I would absolutely jump on that.
post #16233 of 19388 Old 06-28-2018, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Could someone please tell me what settings I need to turn on to make ARC work?. Im in the ARC HDMI 3 input on tv and connected to Yamaha receiver that Arc is enabled on.I want to use arc when watching Netflix app on the tv. Cant figure out where to go in settings on tv and what I need to turn on to make it work. I do have an optical cable connected that I have been getting sound from for Netflix in my receiver but I want to try ARC. Do I have to disconnect the optical cable from tv for ARC to work? Thanks

Matt

Last edited by mattg3; 06-28-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16234 of 19388 Old 06-28-2018, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I haven't seen it on my 55 inch. GF says she sees something all the time and when I showed her a youtube clip of frame repeat error, she said that was it. However, the 2 times she said to me "look, look there it is", what I saw was a weird slowing down of the picture for like 2 seconds when people seemed to move in slow motion. Both times were on sitcoms. Unlike some here, I love the world cup and I haven't seen any issues at all. So my set apparently has a problem but I have no idea what it is....and if I don't see it, is it really a problem?

I use CNET settings but do turn to live football mode occasionally during the world cup matches.
post #16235 of 19388 Old 06-28-2018, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by james138 View Post
My cable box only has HDMI out. So I didn’t know if it was possible to send the HDMI from my cable box into the HDMI port number two on the set and then send audio via coaxial digital audio cable from the TV go to my receiver (pre/pro) and have that work.
I have the same cable box and my amp has no HDMI in. I've looked at some of the audio splitters to send HDMI to the TV and then run the optical cable to my receiver. I'm not making a big push to do it, since I don't watch much on the TV that requires the optical. I use either the built in apps or my Xbox. I'm more likely to upgrade the receiver and get one with HDMI connections.

Xbox: Deezul
Sony XBR-65X900E, Sony XBR-49X900E
Go Jackets!
post #16236 of 19388 Old 06-28-2018, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
I believe the biggest differences between the E Series and the F Series is the X1Extreme versus the X1 processor and the availability of Dolby Vision with the 900F. I’m not sure how much Dolby Vision content is out there, but It will be interesting to see the difference between Dolby Vision and HDR10.
This is my one remaining regret about getting the 900E. Most content available in Dolby Vision is also available in HDR10. But some content appears to be specifically mastered using Dolbyvision such that it only shows in SDR if you don't have it. For example, I was watching the Handmaid's Tale, which was produced as part of some partnership with Dolby, and it does not appear to be in HDR for me.

Then again, I'm also hearing some complaints over how Dolbyvision content looks on Netflix -- about very visible film grain or something. So who really knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I keep hearing about this "frame jumping" on the 900E. It's it only on the big 75 inch? Is it only on sports and what does it look like? You can't miss it, can't mistake it? I have the 55 900E.
You can see it on any content shot in 60Hz, so most live sports, news, etc. It occurs when the picture cuts quickly from one camera to another with lots of motion onscreen. It doesn't happen every time, but when it does, you'll see moving figures stutter slightly for a split second after the shot change. In some cases, it looks like the picture jumps back a frame. It's most noticeable when watching sports with a moving ticker at the bottom of the screen. You'll see the ticker freeze or jump back for a spit second on some shot changes.

Quote:
Case in point - when watching the Stanley Cup Finals via OTA, it really wasn’t noticeable! I’ll leave the explanation to folks better able than me to explain the technical issues but if you have a good panel and don’t notice it that much - then you should be fine.
Interesting ... I'm not a hockey fan but have noticed the NHL uses the same strobe flashes the NBA does. Those made the NBA Finals borderline unwatchable for me. Every few flashes, moving figures would jump and stutter onscreen. I don't believe it has anything to do with the quality of your panel or the cable signal as turning A/V sync to "on" apparently eliminates the problem.

That said, if it's not a problem for you, no reason to fix what ain't broken, right?

Quote:
I do not, I just don't get soccer at all. I don't know what the rest of the world sees. Anyway I'll be on the lookout for frame jumping. I don't know that I've ever seen it so probably not an issue.
I actually would discourage you from looking for it. It's one of those things that not everyone notices but is impossible to ignore once you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hewett-long View Post
I'm honestly amazed that a lot of you having issues with the 900e panel are getting replaced with the 900f for something that I would've thought would be brushed off as a non issue - what countries/ warranty do you guys have? I've noticed something similar intermittently however if that is cause for a replacement to the 2018 model then I would absolutely jump on that.
Now that a simple solution has been found, I suspect Sony will not be replacing anymore TVs. They'll just tell people to turn A/V sync on. Hopefully there will be a firmware update to fix this at some point.
post #16237 of 19388 Old 06-28-2018, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1gmouth View Post
This is my one remaining regret about getting the 900E. Most content available in Dolby Vision is also available in HDR10. But some content appears to be specifically mastered using Dolbyvision such that it only shows in SDR if you don't have it. For example, I was watching the Handmaid's Tale, which was produced as part of some partnership with Dolby, and it does not appear to be in HDR for me.

Then again, I'm also hearing some complaints over how Dolbyvision content looks on Netflix -- about very visible film grain or something. So who really knows?

You can see it on any content shot in 60Hz, so most live sports, news, etc. It occurs when the picture cuts quickly from one camera to another with lots of motion onscreen. It doesn't happen every time, but when it does, you'll see moving figures stutter slightly for a split second after the shot change. In some cases, it looks like the picture jumps back a frame. It's most noticeable when watching sports with a moving ticker at the bottom of the screen. You'll see the ticker freeze or jump back for a spit second on some shot changes.

Interesting ... I'm not a hockey fan but have noticed the NHL uses the same strobe flashes the NBA does. Those made the NBA Finals borderline unwatchable for me. Every few flashes, moving figures would jump and stutter onscreen. I don't believe it has anything to do with the quality of your panel or the cable signal as turning A/V sync to "on" apparently eliminates the problem.

That said, if it's not a problem for you, no reason to fix what ain't broken, right?

I actually would discourage you from looking for it. It's one of those things that not everyone notices but is impossible to ignore once you do.

Now that a simple solution has been found, I suspect Sony will not be replacing anymore TVs. They'll just tell people to turn A/V sync on. Hopefully there will be a firmware update to fix this at some point.
I honestly can say I never saw that. Not a bit, I am not real critical but something like that I would notice and it would annoy me. Definitely never experienced this. At least not yet. Thanks for the explanation.

post #16238 of 19388 Old 06-28-2018, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Mines a bad issue but I'm holding off on calling Sony right now to try to get a better chance at a 900F but it seems like most people are getting them right now. Should I try my luck yet?!
post #16239 of 19388 Old 06-28-2018, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1861 Post(s)
Liked: 1319
Quote:
So, in answer to your question, I originally didn't now there was the option to replace the 900E with a 900F set UNTIL the wonderful post by sneals2000. Now - two things, here. It really depends on how much the frame jumping is affecting your viewing (I think it's more noticeable on larger sets like my 75" 900E versus my 49" 900E) and who you bought your TV from and the process of getting this documented and replaced. If you have a great panel, now, that is a consideration, as well. (Hence my having my Sony Dealer plug the replacement 900F in and view it prior to having it installed to replace my current set.

I purchased my Sony 75" 900E back in July, 2017, from an authorized Sony Dealer here in Colorado. Since it is a large set, I wanted delivery and setup plus installation on my wall in my man cave. I used my Chase Freedom Credit Card to "match" online pricing (hence a $500 credit) and to obtain the best of both worlds by having the expertise of a local Sony Authorized Dealer and a great price.

I had noticed the frame jumping primarily on live sports. College football, especially, and from many Colorado Buffalo games. It didn't happen that often and it seemed like when it did, it would carry on for awhile. My best friend's daughter also noticed it when we watched last year's CU/CSU game. For regular viewing of cable channels like CNN or even major broadcast channels and series like the "Blacklist," - I honestly didn't see much frame jumping at all. And never on streaming from Amazon Prime or Netflix or Google Play Movies.

So - if it's an option for you AND the process isn't too difficult AND you can verify that you're getting a good panel - - I'd say go for it.

Differences between the Sony 900F and Sony 900E -

2018 Model (F) versus 2017 Model (E)
X1 Extreme Chip (Dolby Vision capable) versus Extreme Chip (No Dolby Vision)
6X Contrast (F) versus 5X Contrast (E)
Black Area Blinking (F) versus Black Frame Insertion (E)

The last difference is interesting in that out of all the Sony Models (Z9D, X940E, X900F & X900E) - the "F" model is the only one to have this technology where the screen does not lose brightness from black frame changes/transition (I probably am not describing this exactly but that's the best way I can explain. ) And, I think this also affects the "frame jumping" issue. I'm not sure if this is a "software fix" or hardware enhancement or a combination of the two.

At any rate - - within a couple of weeks, I'll have the 900F 75" replacement and it will be interesting to see if the frame jumping is gone and what Dolby Vision looks like. I'm keeping my Sony 900E 49" set as I really don't notice many problems with it. And - - I purchased this set from "Best Buy," and I'm more than a year out on the Sony Manufacturer's Warranty for the 49" set.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)

Last edited by Ricoflashback; 06-28-2018 at 10:28 AM.
post #16240 of 19388 Old 06-28-2018, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So, in answer to your question, I originally didn't now there was the option to replace the 900E with a 900F set UNTIL the wonderful post by sneals2000. Now - two things, here. It really depends on how much the frame jumping is affecting your viewing (I think it's more noticeable on larger sets like my 75" 900E versus my 49" 900E) and who you bought your TV from and the process of getting this documented and replaced. If you have a great panel, now, that is a consideration. (Hence my having my Sony Dealer plug the replacement 900F in and view it prior to having it installed to replace my current set.

I purchased my Sony 75" 900E back in July, 2017, from an authorized Sony Dealer here in Colorado. Since it is a large set, I wanted delivery and setup plus installation on my wall in my man cave. I used my Chase Freedom Credit Card to "match" online pricing (hence a $500 credit) and to obtain the best of both worlds by having the expertise of a local Sony Authorized Dealer and a great price.

I had noticed the frame jumping primarily on live sports. College football, especially, and from many Colorado Buffalo games. It didn't happen that often and it seemed like when it did, it would carry on for awhile. My best friend's daughter also noticed it when we watched last year's CU/CSU game. For regular viewing of cable channels like CNN or even major broadcast channels and series like the "Blacklist," - I honestly didn't see much frame jumping at all. And never on streaming from Amazon Prime or Netflix or Google Play Movies.

So - if it's an option for you AND the process isn't too difficult AND you can verify that you're getting a good panel - - I'd say go for it.

Differences between the Sony 900F and Sony 900E -

2018 Model (F) versus 2017 Model (E)
X1 Extreme Chip (Dolby Vision capable) versus Extreme Chip (No Dolby Vision)
6X Contrast (F) versus 5X Contrast (E)
Black Area Blinking (F) versus Black Frame Insertion (E)

The last difference is interesting in that out of all the Sony Models (Z9D, X940E, X900F & X900E) - the "F" model is the only one to have this technology where the screen does not lose brightness from black frame changes/transition (I probably am not describing this exactly but that's the best way I can explain. ) And, I think this also affects the "frame jumping" issue. I'm not sure if this is a "software fix" or hardware enhancement or a combination of the two.

At any rate - - within a couple of weeks, I'll have the 900F 75" replacement and it will be interesting to see if the frame jumping is gone and what Dolby Vision looks like. I'm keeping my Sony 900E 49" set as I really don't notice many problems with it. And - - I purchased this set from "Best Buy," and I'm more than a year out on the Sony Manufacturer's Warranty for the 49" set.
Really wish I saw it because I want a 65 900F but I don't. I have the 55 900E. If they agree to replace would they allow you to pay the difference and go up in size? Always a curious question I've had.

post #16241 of 19388 Old 06-28-2018, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

RE: I do not, I just don't get soccer at all. I don't know what the rest of the world sees. Anyway I'll be on the lookout for frame jumping. I don't know that I've ever seen it so probably not an issue.

***Truer words were never spoken. If you don't see it now, don't look for it. Like the time the guy couldn't see "Rainbows" on his DLP Projector until his friend showed him how to spot them. Then, he couldn't watch his DLP Projector anymore.

The older I get, the more I believe that "Ignorance is Bliss" - - at least when it comes to our Home Theater obsessions.
green666 and B1gmouth like this.

Home Theater Setup
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
post #16242 of 19388 Old 06-28-2018, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 7035 Post(s)
Liked: 7068
Quote:
Sony rarely replaces screens, they normally replace the entire set. So if your only option is the new model you may be kinda stuck unless they refund your cash.....
post #16243 of 19388 Old 06-28-2018, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by phat0m View Post
Mines a bad issue but I'm holding off on calling Sony right now to try to get a better chance at a 900F but it seems like most people are getting them right now. Should I try my luck yet?!
I didn't, they told me to get bent...Said the tv is normal...

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
post #16244 of 19388 Old 06-28-2018, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
I didn't, they told me to get bent...Said the tv is normal...
What was your issue? I have a vertical line of dead pixels.
post #16245 of 19388 Old 06-28-2018, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Now that a simple solution has been found, I suspect Sony will not be replacing anymore TVs. They'll just tell people to turn A/V sync on. Hopefully there will be a firmware update to fix this at some point.[/QUOTE]

The only issue with this solution is that I had to turn A/V Sync off, to correct lip sync issues. It was horrible with it on, so if the trade off is audio and video being out of sync, that would be a worse problem...

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #16246 of 19388 Old 06-28-2018, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat0m View Post
What was your issue? I have a vertical line of dead pixels.
Yeah, I don't have that issue. My issue is the frame skippin on the 60hz content.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #16247 of 19388 Old 06-28-2018, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Could someone please tell me where to go on the set to enable ARC.

Matt
post #16248 of 19388 Old 06-28-2018, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1209 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeercy View Post
I'm extremely sensitive to motion issues, which is why I still have a Panasonic plasma. How is the motion handling on this set? I tried the Vizio P65 F1 and motion was not to my liking. I've read that Sony motion processing is excellent.
I honestly thought my Vizio P65-E1 handled motion more consistently than my Sony, but if you tweak it you can get the motion acceptable on most content, I just find it sacrifices sharpness to keep the motion smooth.

LG 77 C9 (Also LG 65 C7 and Sony XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
post #16249 of 19388 Old 06-28-2018, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
I honestly thought my Vizio P65-E1 handled motion more consistently than my Sony, but if you tweak it you can get the motion acceptable on most content, I just find it sacrifices sharpness to keep the motion smooth.
I don't find this to be the case at all. I find (with the exception of the frame skipping, which really isn't that bad, I think more people made a big deal out of it once they thought they might be able to get a 900f on an exchange) that the motion is exceptional. I also am very sensitive to motion to the point that i retuned a Sony 940e over motion issues.

I find with a motion flow setting to Custom, with Smoothness at 1, Clearness at Min, and Cinemotion at Med, you get a very, very clean smooth motion without any SOE and the picture retains every bit of sharpness. I never use standard, or smooth, or clear. If you needed some extra smoothness you could bump Smoothness to 2 and I don't think anyone (unless they just loved SOE) would ever need anything smoother than that...
Hetfieldjames likes this.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #16250 of 19388 Old 06-29-2018, 02:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
I don't find this to be the case at all. I find (with the exception of the frame skipping, which really isn't that bad, I think more people made a big deal out of it once they thought they might be able to get a 900f on an exchange) that the motion is exceptional. I also am very sensitive to motion to the point that i retuned a Sony 940e over motion issues.

I find with a motion flow setting to Custom, with Smoothness at 1, Clearness at Min, and Cinemotion at Med, you get a very, very clean smooth motion without any SOE and the picture retains every bit of sharpness. I never use standard, or smooth, or clear. If you needed some extra smoothness you could bump Smoothness to 2 and I don't think anyone (unless they just loved SOE) would ever need anything smoother than that...
I'm gonna try your motion settings tomorrow, good tip. I use smooth on low right now. Does a pretty good job but I'll try these custom settings.

post #16251 of 19388 Old 06-29-2018, 04:10 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Could someone please tell me what settings I need to turn on to make ARC work?. Im in the ARC HDMI 3 input on tv and connected to Yamaha receiver that Arc is enabled on.I want to use arc when watching Netflix app on the tv. Cant figure out where to go in settings on tv and what I need to turn on to make it work. I do have an optical cable connected that I have been getting sound from for Netflix in my receiver but I want to try ARC. Do I have to disconnect the optical cable from tv for ARC to work? Thanks

I cant remember if have to turn on somewhere or not. I looked and could not find it. I do know sometimes I have to do a reset to get sound working from apps. I am constantly having to go to sound menu and switch to external speakers. I have just started using Roku now for most apps.
mattg3 likes this.
post #16252 of 19388 Old 06-29-2018, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1gmouth View Post

I see the same awful garbage with Netflix (via built-in app) on the 65x900e. It wasn't there two months ago, now their HDR content looks like crap. It was SO dark at one point, I had to turn the HDR from Auto to Off.
post #16253 of 19388 Old 06-29-2018, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
I see the same awful garbage with Netflix (via built-in app) on the 65x900e. It wasn't there two months ago, now their HDR content looks like crap. It was SO dark at one point, I had to turn the HDR from Auto to Off.
Well I don't have Dolby Vision obviously because I have a 900E but HDR 10 on Netflix is serious grain. It's a Netflix issue not the HDR format. I was stunned when watching Daredevil at just how much grain they added. I was questioning my 900E and HDR in general until I found out they add heavy grain. I'm a grain hater, 100% hate for grain. I have the T2 4k Blu Ray and people complain they eliminated the grain and it's too clean. Not me, I love it.

post #16254 of 19388 Old 06-29-2018, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_tr View Post
I cant remember if have to turn on somewhere or not. I looked and could not find it. I do know sometimes I have to do a reset to get sound working from apps. I am constantly having to go to sound menu and switch to external speakers. I have just started using Roku now for most apps.
Yes I could not find what the manual states which is a setting called HDMI control.Im going to try turning off my optical setup in tv to see if that works. Many have told me what a pain ARC is but if Netflix starts to offer Dolby atmos in the screen app the ARC is only way we will be able to get it into a surround system since optical will not deliver it.Hopefully Netflix will also offer dolby atmos on the Roku so we can forget about tv apps.

Matt

Last edited by mattg3; 06-29-2018 at 06:28 AM.
post #16255 of 19388 Old 06-29-2018, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well I don't have Dolby Vision obviously because I have a 900E but HDR 10 on Netflix is serious grain. It's a Netflix issue not the HDR format. I was stunned when watching Daredevil at just how much grain they added. I was questioning my 900E and HDR in general until I found out they add heavy grain. I'm a grain hater, 100% hate for grain. I have the T2 4k Blu Ray and people complain they eliminated the grain and it's too clean. Not me, I love it.

That's basically what I just said in the post you quoted, but I figured folks would understand that I don't have Dolby Vision because I'm using the 900E.
post #16256 of 19388 Old 06-29-2018, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
That's basically what I just said in the post you quoted, but I figured folks would understand that I don't have Dolby Vision because I'm using the 900E.
Why these dummies add grain I just don't get it. I mean you but a beautiful, big, expensive 4k HDR display and then they add grain and people that don't know go, well all that money it looks like crap. I wish they'd stop.

Ricoflashback likes this.
post #16257 of 19388 Old 06-29-2018, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Why these dummies add grain I just don't get it. I mean you but a beautiful, big, expensive 4k HDR display and then they add grain and people that don't know go, well all that money it looks like crap. I wish they'd stop.

Ah, Hetfieldjames - - that's how the "Director" wants you to see their content. Heaven forbid that there is any criticism of Directors for grain on movies or shows or bad mixes with Dolby Atmos. Even if the sound of a flying plane is NOT in the top speakers - - that's how they intended it and they know best!

So what if your newer 4K/HDR set looks like crap with their content?

How DARE you question the Director's use of grain and their artistic interpretation!

Home Theater Setup
post #16258 of 19388 Old 06-29-2018, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ah, Hetfieldjames - - that's how the "Director" wants you to see their content. Heaven forbid that there is any criticism of Directors for grain on movies or shows or bad mixes with Dolby Atmos. Even if the sound of a flying plane is NOT in the top speakers - - that's how they intended it and they know best!

So what if your newer 4K/HDR set looks like crap with their content?

How DARE you question the Director's use of grain and their artistic interpretation?
Your right, I apologise. You should have seen the fit of people on the forums when I suggested the movie studios choose an aspect ratio and stick to it. I got hate usually only perserved for terrorists. Again you get your brand new expensive,large, beautiful 4k HDR 16:9 TV home and pop in a movie and 40% of the screen isn't being used turning your 65 inch into a 45 inch. Alright, good times.

post #16259 of 19388 Old 06-29-2018, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Your right, I apologise. You should have seen the fit of people on the forums when I suggested the movie studios choose an aspect ratio and stick to it. I got hate usually only perserved for terrorists. Again you get your brand new expensive,large, beautiful 4k HDR 16:9 TV home and pop in a movie and 40% of the screen isn't being used turning your 65 inch into a 45 inch. Alright, good times.

You're looking at it far too pragmatically. The movie industry is all about protecting their industry. In the early days, the movie screen ratio used to be 1.375:1 while television was 1.33:1. The movie industry decided that it threatened their industry for the formats to be so close (content could be delivered on the TV screen in the same manner as the big screen), so they changed it. And, while it has had some minor changes, it has largely been either 1.85:1 ot 2.35:1 with formats in Europe being something like 1.66:1 for lots of their screens. A 16x9 screen is 1.77:1, and the movie industry is "ok" with that (for now) as they see it as different enough that people will still want to go to the theaters to see content.

The fact that people get all up in arms when content is shown on their TV with letterboxing drives this point home. They don't understand that the bars are necessary in order to ensure that the content they see is IDENTICAL to what would be on the big screen, and they're even less understanding that about two minutes of viewing in a darkened room makes those bars completely invisible to what you're watching.

TL;DR - The movie industry HAS chosen its formats and stuck with them. TV manufacturers don't use the same format on purpose since 16x9 actually works better for them overall and poses no "threat" to the motion picture industry.
post #16260 of 19388 Old 06-29-2018, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
..... As a sport, soccer to me is like watching paint dry. How bout that nil-nil game! I know there are a lot of soccer fans out there (especially with the World Cup) and it’s suppose to be the “World’s Sport,” but it’s just not my cup of tea.

To me, the only "World's Sport" is Auto Racing. Everything else is just a child's game played by grown-ups . . .

Formula One looks awesome on my 900E

_________
Ricoflashback likes this.

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page