2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 546 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40409Likes

post #16351 of 19370 Old 07-03-2018, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7014 Post(s)
Liked: 7028
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
my tv delivers today...should i just follow ratings as i'm not calibrating it right now...
You can try it, if it does not look better go back to factory settings....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16352 of 19370 Old 07-03-2018, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Well, I replaced the Sony 930d in my bedroom with a 55 in A1E OLED...I fell into a really stupid deal and was able to pick up 2 refurbs for way less than the cost of a new one (sometimes you just need to know the right people...) I never would have bought an OLED for my bedroom tv...but I was able to get rid of my 930d and if I even get a fraction of what the 2nd one is worth I'll make money on the deal so in the end it didn't really cost anything. (Hopefully this isn't violating policy here...I didn't give any specific numbers Mr. Moderators so I believe I am within policy)

I have defended LCD/LED against the guys that just want to say OLED is better regardless of the argument. Likely because they spent so much money on a set ha ha.

My two main concerns with OLED compared to LCD/LED were brightness, and ABL (kinda similar to brightness) and cost vs value

Cost wasn't a factor in this case so a non issue

Brightness- This set gets plenty bright. The picture looks great. It's a sight to see some of my favorite 4k HDR movies with literally 0 blooming. I am seeing details in the highlights I've never seen and it is glorious. I think people look at the peak Nits and see things like 800 for the 900e, 100 for the 900f, 1400 for the 930e and then they see a peak of 750 on an OLED and assume it's going to be dim, but in reality the LED sets only hit that peak brightness on highlights with HDR. So, with an infinite contrast and 0 blooming, the tv doesn't need to get that bright for HDR to look really really good. Although I will say in some scenes the 900e does look more impressive because it can get brighter.

ABL- I have read some of the horror stories in the A1E thread about dimming issues, I let the tv sit on the main menu screen and the help menu screen to see if it would dim, it didn't, and it's on the latest firmware...Awesome for me!

Motion- With an instant pixel response time you do get some stutter in panning shots, much like our 900e gets but since the pixel response is even faster, it's a little more noticeable. I normally use motionflow settings of Custom, Smoothness 1, Clearness Min, Cinemotion Med, but I bumped Smoothness up to 2 and it cleared most of it up and the picture still looks really good. Smooth and no artifacts.

Overall I think the set is gorgeous and so far the concerns I had for OLED vs LCD/LED are really looking like they will be non-issues. Of course, I'll need to watch more content and since it's in the bedroom and I have a 75 inch in the living room, the bedroom doesn't get watched that much.

But now i have a little more motivation to watch a movie in bed with mama every now and then...
Ricoflashback likes this.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
post #16353 of 19370 Old 07-03-2018, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Where would you guys start for SDR and HDR movie/tv settings? Custom or Cinema Pro or Cinema Home?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16354 of 19370 Old 07-03-2018, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1148 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Where would you guys start for SDR and HDR movie/tv settings? Custom or Cinema Pro or Cinema Home?

When I got my 49 inch 900E a week or so ago, I started with Cinema Home after looking at all the options, then tweaked things slightly from there. My set is in the bedroom, in general doesn't get turned on during the day, and I'm about 8-9 feet away from it.

Just remember that in Sony world, 'Brightness' seems to be backlight, and 'Black Level' seems to be brightness. And unless you like it, turn off that thing where it autoadjusts picture to room lighting. It drove me nuts until I found the setting to disable it.
post #16355 of 19370 Old 07-03-2018, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by amalgam View Post
Yikes. I'll update when I get mine, hopefully this is a one-off. Good luck on yours.
Got my 900F replacement today. It was also in the 'Sony Factory New' generic box (the delivery guys said they're all like that). It doesn't have any real runtime on it - works perfectly and appears to be brand new, manufacture date June 2018. I'll update if I have any issues. Android TV runs slower (which is weird given the upgraded processor?) but that's whatever.
post #16356 of 19370 Old 07-03-2018, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Got my 900F replacement today. It was also in the 'Sony Factory New' generic box (the delivery guys said they're all like that). It doesn't have any real runtime on it - works perfectly and appears to be brand new, manufacture date June 2018. I'll update if I have any issues. Android TV runs slower (which is weird given the upgraded processor?) but that's whatever.
I just got the call today to schedule my delivery of my new 900F to replace the one I received with shipping damage. I’m sure this one will be good. Only problem is the first delivery date is Monday. I’m on vacation this week, and got a co-worker out on vacation next week, so I have to wait up until Friday to have it delivered since I work 4x10’s with Friday off. Glad you got a good unit.
amalgam likes this.
post #16357 of 19370 Old 07-03-2018, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsnov73 View Post
I just got the call today to schedule my delivery of my new 900F to replace the one I received with shipping damage. I’m sure this one will be good. Only problem is the first delivery date is Monday. I’m on vacation this week, and got a co-worker out on vacation next week, so I have to wait up until Friday to have it delivered since I work 4x10’s with Friday off. Glad you got a good unit.
At least you got to pick a time lol. I hadn't heard a peep from Sony for 2 1/2 weeks then got a call Monday from a random local number saying 'my delivery' would be there tomorrow 11 - 3 some time. I still haven't heard from Sony after submitting proof, but hey, I've got the TV so I'm not complaining lol
post #16358 of 19370 Old 07-03-2018, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
At least you got to pick a time lol. I hadn't heard a peep from Sony for 2 1/2 weeks then got a call Monday from a random local number saying 'my delivery' would be there tomorrow 11 - 3 some time. I still haven't heard from Sony after submitting proof, but hey, I've got the TV so I'm not complaining lol
Yes, I got my choice of days for my 12 hour delivery window, 8am-8pm!
post #16359 of 19370 Old 07-04-2018, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7014 Post(s)
Liked: 7028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hewett-long View Post
Anyone else been noticing an increasing number of app updates across the board recently? I feel like Google app and the Chrome speed improvements thing has been updated half a dozen times the past 6 weeks.
These updates on electronics overall are happening all the time. It is crazy.....
RUBEN PORTILLO likes this.
post #16360 of 19370 Old 07-04-2018, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddysnake View Post
https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/0...ony-smart-tvs/

sounds like Google HDR is coming to Sony TVs (you still have to cast to it), except I can't find a list of compatible TVs...
That’s good news, but you have already been able to cast from YouTube in HDR for anything in your Google Play library. It’s all google. I guess now you have a choice.
post #16361 of 19370 Old 07-04-2018, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So I can’t get HDR to work from an Apple TV 4k. If I force HDR from the Apple TV then the tv switches to HDR settings but it won’t match dynamic range on its own auto setting and automatically switch. Any ideas what I’m missing here? And yes I’m playing 4K hdr content from the vudu app that works fine on my LG.
post #16362 of 19370 Old 07-05-2018, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So I can’t get HDR to work from an Apple TV 4k. If I force HDR from the Apple TV then the tv switches to HDR settings but it won’t match dynamic range on its own auto setting and automatically switch. Any ideas what I’m missing here? And yes I’m playing 4K hdr content from the vudu app that works fine on my LG.
I’m not sure the Apple 4K TV Vudu app does HDR yet. It only just got 4K. Or are you saying when you place the same Apple TV 4K on your LG, without adjusting your settings, the Vudu app produces proper 4K HDR signals?

You should not have to force HDR. I keep mine set on SDR, and turn auto match on for everything (if only it would auto match resolution).

Check HDR on iTunes movies, Amazon Prime movies, Netflix movies. I’m not sure anything else major supports HDR yet.

You’ve confirmed that your 900E HDMI port settings supports 4K HDR at proper bit depth, with enhanced setting turned on, and HDR set to Auto?

Last edited by Mac128; 07-05-2018 at 07:38 AM.
post #16363 of 19370 Old 07-05-2018, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
I’m not sure the Apple 4K TV Vudu app does HDR yet. It only just got 4K. Or are you saying when you place the same Apple TV 4K on your LG, without adjusting your settings, the Vudu app produces proper 4K HDR signals?

You should not have to force HDR. I keep mine set on SDR, and turn auto match on for everything (if only it would auto match resolution).

Check HDR on iTunes movies, Amazon Prime movies, Netflix movies. I’m not sure anything else major supports HDR yet.

You’ve confirmed that your 900E HDMI port settings supports 4K HDR at proper bit depth, with enhanced setting turned on, and HDR set to Auto?
Yes, when connected to my LG OLED, I get HDR10 and Dolby Vision for my 4k owned movies from the Apple TV app.
https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/06/...s-to-apple-tv/

Yes, HDR (and the 2 other settings in that sub-menu are set to AUTO). I tried the Grand Tour as well and it only sent through 4K SDR.

The Apple TV is set to 4K SDR with match frame ON / match range ON. On my LG OLED these same settings will switch to HDR or DV depending on the content, and leave SDR for everything else.

I'm pretty stumped at this point since it's just a couple of settings. I may try the following:

1) Reset Apple TV and x900e to default
2) If that doesn't work, I'll bring over my Apple TV and HDMI cable that I know works on my LG setup and seem if I can replicate.

Again, it doesn't seem like a cable issue because when I set the Apple TV to only output at 4K HDR with match OFF, the TV reads the HDR signal (verified seeing the HDR tag in the picture settings menu).
post #16364 of 19370 Old 07-05-2018, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
The processor is the same on the 900E and 900F, both use the same mediatek processor which is running the software. The upgraded processor you are referring to is the video processor, which is not running the Android TV software.

https://www.displayspecifications.co...ison/fcdc4b4b8

Unless the information on that site is incorrect.
post #16365 of 19370 Old 07-05-2018, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Yes, when connected to my LG OLED, I get HDR10 and Dolby Vision for my 4k owned movies from the Apple TV app.

Yes, HDR (and the 2 other settings in that sub-menu are set to AUTO). I tried the Grand Tour as well and it only sent through 4K SDR.
You have probably already checked but make sure you are picking the 4K HDR version of Grand Tour. Amazon has multiple versions of each show and you have to explicitly select the 4K version to get 4K, unlike NetFlix which dynamically senses your connection speed and TV capabilities and sends the appropriate stream.
post #16366 of 19370 Old 07-05-2018, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The Apple TV is set to 4K SDR with match frame ON / match range ON. On my LG OLED these same settings will switch to HDR or DV depending on the content, and leave SDR for everything else.

I'm pretty stumped at this point since it's just a couple of settings. I may try the following:

1) Reset Apple TV and x900e to default
2) If that doesn't work, I'll bring over my Apple TV and HDMI cable that I know works on my LG setup and seem if I can replicate.

Again, it doesn't seem like a cable issue because when I set the Apple TV to only output at 4K HDR with match OFF, the TV reads the HDR signal (verified seeing the HDR tag in the picture settings menu).
I would try bringing the cable over and resetting the ATV 4K which is easily restored with your iPhone, before resetting the 900E to factory defaults (depending on how much custom configuration you’ve already done.

Are you able to test any other 4K HDR sources on the 900E to rule it out? If it’s definitely not the 900E, then you might try jumping over to the ATV forum if you haven’t already ...
post #16367 of 19370 Old 07-05-2018, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would try bringing the cable over and resetting the ATV 4K which is easily restored with your iPhone, before resetting the 900E to factory defaults (depending on how much custom configuration you’ve already done.

Are you able to test any other 4K HDR sources on the 900E to rule it out? If it’s definitely not the 900E, then you might try jumping over to the ATV forum if you haven’t already ...
Yeah i'm in the atv thread right now too. HDR on the 900e works 1) if i set the ATV to only output everything in HDR 2) via videos on USB drive...so it's not that the 900e isn't playing any HDR, it does, it's just that it seems the ATV doesn't recognize to switch to send HDR signals or the TV isn't recognizing the HDR from the apple tv when set to match frame rate / match dynamic range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
You have probably already checked but make sure you are picking the 4K HDR version of Grand Tour. Amazon has multiple versions of each show and you have to explicitly select the 4K version to get 4K, unlike NetFlix which dynamically senses your connection speed and TV capabilities and sends the appropriate stream.
yep, i tried 4k versions in amazon and vudu apps, neither switch automatically to HDR unless i just set all output on the apple tv to force HDR.
post #16368 of 19370 Old 07-05-2018, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Yeah i'm in the atv thread right now too. HDR on the 900e works 1) if i set the ATV to only output everything in HDR 2) via videos on USB drive...so it's not that the 900e isn't playing any HDR, it does, it's just that it seems the ATV doesn't recognize to switch to send HDR signals or the TV isn't recognizing the HDR from the apple tv when set to match frame rate / match dynamic range.

yep, i tried 4k versions in amazon and vudu apps, neither switch automatically to HDR unless i just set all output on the apple tv to force HDR.

So what happens when you play iTunes content you own that is verified 4K HDR? Will it switch automatically?
post #16369 of 19370 Old 07-05-2018, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does the XBR 900E have an analog audio and video input for connecting a DVD player?
post #16370 of 19370 Old 07-05-2018, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowe-t View Post
Does the XBR 900E have an analog audio and video input for connecting a DVD player?
It has audio L+R and RGB component.
post #16371 of 19370 Old 07-05-2018, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic dog View Post
It has audio L+R and RGB component.
Is there a composite video input or just the component?
post #16372 of 19370 Old 07-05-2018, 10:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowe-t View Post
Is there a composite video input or just the component?
The video jack doubles as both component and composite

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
post #16373 of 19370 Old 07-05-2018, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
The video jack doubles as both component and composite
The green one I think
post #16374 of 19370 Old 07-06-2018, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 101
heh...the day after i declared i’m sad about not having dolby vision support on the 900e, netflix announces they are stripping HDR from their 4k plan and making a new, more expensive tier for HDR. so it’s gonna be like $10.99 for HD, $13.99 for 4k, $16.99 for 4k+HDR. eff that.

although...since reading the last several pages, i’ve been scrutinizing my tv to find anything wrong i could make a warranty claim on and maybe get a replacement 900f. LMAO.
post #16375 of 19370 Old 07-06-2018, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked: 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post
heh...the day after i declared i’m sad about not having dolby vision support on the 900e, netflix announces they are stripping HDR from their 4k plan and making a new, more expensive tier for HDR. so it’s gonna be like $10.99 for HD, $13.99 for 4k, $16.99 for 4k+HDR. eff that.

although...since reading the last several pages, i’ve been scrutinizing my tv to find anything wrong i could make a warranty claim on and maybe get a replacement 900f. LMAO.
The Netflix deal is so bull****. Sorry for the language but come on. They are squeezing people to death. I just came back to Netflix in January after about 10 years because they did this very thing last time with Blu Ray. It's really annoying.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #16376 of 19370 Old 07-06-2018, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Or, there’s a problem with the HDMI port or ports on the 900E. That’s the only reason you’re still on this thread working it out. Again, the cable could be incompatible despite working fine with your LG — there have been post after post on this thread discussing how finicky this set can be with cables that are supposed to work correctly, but don’t.

Do you have any other HDMI devices capable of HDR that you can test in the ports? Which port is the ATV plugged into?

And you’re certain the 4K content you’re playing from Amazon and Vudu is also HDR? Not all 4K content is HDR. It will specifics whether it’s in DV or HDR on the program specs screen,
post #16377 of 19370 Old 07-06-2018, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
The Netflix deal is so bull****. Sorry for the language but come on. They are squeezing people to death. I just came back to Netflix in January after about 10 years because they did this very thing last time with Blu Ray. It's really annoying.

Netflix is carrying massive debt, obligated for 30 billion more debt over the next 10 years, about to lose major studio catalogues, and facing a dying DVD rental business which is the only thing turning a profit for them and keeping wall street bullish on them.

They have no choice. Netflix is no doubt the AOL of the 2010s ... and will eventually be snapped up by a competitor when this all shakes out ...
post #16378 of 19370 Old 07-06-2018, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked: 1158
Quote:
Netflix is carrying massive debt, obligated for 30 billion more debt over the next 10 years, about to lose major studio catalogues, and facing a dying DVD rental business which is the only thing turning a profit for them and keeping wall street bullish on them.

They have no choice. Netflix is no doubt the AOL of the 2010s ... and will eventually be snapped up by a competitor when this all shakes out ...
Get out of here? I never heard anything like that. Every story is about how strong they are as a company.

post #16379 of 19370 Old 07-06-2018, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

Best news I've heard in a long time. Netflix's HDR is god awful on this set. Glad to see it go, and I won't be bumping up my tier to get it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Get out of here? I never heard anything like that. Every story is about how strong they are as a company.

Learn how to read between the lines on financial statements: https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/nflx/f...come-statement

Sales, General, and Admin is skyrocketing in the expense department and and so is Interest Expense (the interest on their loans and debt). So, while they are currently still showing positive numbers in terms of earnings, that debt is going to catch up with them at some point.
post #16380 of 19370 Old 07-06-2018, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked: 326
I thought they were testing it out in Europe before putting it in place here. Just don't buy it and send them a message.Most of it that I have seen is not worth it on the 900E.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page