2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 584 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40368Likes

post #17491 of 19056 Old 09-24-2018, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedHelp123 View Post
Hi All - I'm having 2 really annoying issues, was curious if anyone else is seeing either or has an idea on a fix...

1. Randomly the 900e is turning on my avr (Yamaha rx-v683) while in standby. I'm not 100% certain that it's the tv (vs my avr), but I think it is very likely as when I turn the avr off, the unit is set to HDMI1 (cable box). But when it gets turned on out of nowhere, the input is HDMI3 (ARC). This has probably happened about a dozen times so far (in the last 6 months or so since I've had the tv).

2. When watching sports, and the camera changes shots, the screen has a single, noticeable stutter then corrects itself. It's difficult to describe exactly what I'm seeing (it almost seems similar to screen tearing from a distraction perspective)...but I've noticed it watching football and hockey. It appears to happen only when the shot being changed to has a lot of moment, or the camera itself is moving.

Any suggestions?
For issue #1 is a little hard to tell because there is not complete information about what is the status of the system when the issue happens. You say the TV turns on the AVR while on standby, which one? the TV? AVR? both? current activity on the TV when the issue happened? did it happen when the V was just turned on? One thing to keep in mind with the 900E, ARC only works with CEC (in this case BraviaSync) enabled for both the TV and AVR, so certain functions and commands on the AVR can be triggered by the TV.
For #2 I think is a matter of the bitrate chosen for the broadcast and the available bandwidth at the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17492 of 19056 Old 09-24-2018, 11:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
Well guys...When i joined this forum I had just purchased a Sony 940e and ultimately sent it back over motion issues. I replaced it with a 900e which I have been very happy with. Some minor blooming and greyish black bars, but motion was very clean and overall I loved the tv. But today I took delivery of a 75 inch Sony z9d...And it's freaking awesome!!!

I know I've ruffled some feathers around here, no apologies lol. The one thing I think most people could use this day and age is a little thicker skin...

I know I've helped some around here with picture settings and want to thank you for taking the time to let me know you enjoyed them. I also appreciate all the guys that helped me sort out some of the audio lip sync issues I was having. Peace y'all...

That tv sucks for gaming. It handles motion the same way as the 940e. Poorly. You will regret it if you are a gamer. 900F 85 inch is the better buy imo along with much superior motion handling when gaming. Other then the poor motion handling on the Z9D its a total beast other wise.

Last edited by KoRn; 09-24-2018 at 11:35 PM.
post #17493 of 19056 Old 09-25-2018, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1256 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post
That tv sucks for gaming. It handles motion the same way as the 940e. Poorly. You will regret it if you are a gamer. 900F 85 inch is the better buy imo along with much superior motion handling when gaming. Other then the poor motion handling on the Z9D its a total beast other wise.
Actually you are wrong. The 65 in has a slow pixel response but the 75 is great...Not that much different from the 900e

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17494 of 19056 Old 09-25-2018, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello - Is there a better place than here to ask Sony Android App questions? I have kept my set offline(except like today to update, since buying a refurb 55" last May) because my other devices have my streaming covered satisfactorily. I do question whether moving Amazon Prime Video, Vudu or YouTube to the TV apps is a better experience for HDR/4K? I will do some comparisons on my own if i think i should stay connected, thought i could get a few pointers along the way. What to avoid, what rawks, curious about usage even if your chain is not similar to mine - 55 900e, ATV4K, Denon 930, Sony UBP-800. I'm a 4 year cord cutter without a current streaming plan(except Netflix, iTunes, Amazon) although have tried all of them, what's working best for you for Android apps. Might add that i've never owned anything Android, or bought or rented or downloaded anything from the Google Store - ever.

Thanks
D

1st time Denon 4/6/18 B stock S930H, Sony 55X900E, Polk RTi8 main, Polk CSi4 center, 2 KEF Q100 surrounds, Polk CS1 center, Bose 501(PX Germany 1983) FH Bose 201, Mirage Omni S10, Emotiva BasX S12, 2 ATV4K, Sony UBP-X800, XboxS, Samsung LN52-A650(circa 2008), 4K/HDR 27" Monoprice monitor, Monoprice premium certified HDMI cables, PS3, Pioneer VSX21 AVR(amp)

Last edited by Duncannutz; 09-25-2018 at 09:27 AM. Reason: add BR player
post #17495 of 19056 Old 09-25-2018, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncannutz View Post
Hello - Is there a better place than here to ask Sony Android App questions? I have kept my set offline(except like today to update, since buying a refurb 55" last May) because my other devices have my streaming covered satisfactorily. I do question whether moving Amazon Prime Video, Vudu or YouTube to the TV apps is a better experience for HDR/4K? I will do some comparisons on my own if i think i should stay connected, thought i could get a few pointers along the way. What to avoid, what rawks, curious about usage even if your chain is not similar to mine - 55 900e, ATV4K, Denon 930, Sony UBP-800. I'm a 4 year cord cutter without a current streaming plan(except Netflix, iTunes, Amazon) although have tried all of them, what's working best for you for Android apps. Might add that i've never owned anything Android, or bought or rented or downloaded anything from the Google Store - ever.

Thanks
D
Built in YouTube app will not do HDR video (not that big of a deal)
Built in Netflix app works great, I use it all the time without issue
Built in Amazon app had some issues with HDR and the letterbox bars being grey instead of black, not like light blooming grey- they are not black
Google movies is fine, Vudu is fine

I like using the built in apps because you can set your picture preferences differently for each app rather than setting one picture preference for the input the HDMI is plugged into from your streaming device. I like YouTube for demo videos and the colors are ramped up a little bit more for "Wow" factor. Netflix is setup for normal viewing. Don't think you could do it like that if using an external streaming device as the picture settings would be the same for all apps.
Duncannutz likes this.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
post #17496 of 19056 Old 09-25-2018, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncannutz View Post

Thanks
D

I have found the AndroidTV apps of uneven quality, Netflix and MLB.TV are very good, Amazon not so much as it has always had an intermittent stutter (many reports of this). Plus for some reasons some vendors choose not to support AndroidTV with an app (I'm looking at you NHL.TV) even though they may have an Android app.

More problematic is how are your AppleTV and UPB-800 currently connected? If directly to your AVR then you will have implement ARC/CEC or optical to get the sound from the AndroidTV app to the AVR, if ARC/CEC works for you great, if not then optical with all the inherent limitations.

I seem to be one of the few that likes AndroidTV but the challenge of getting the audio feed to my AVR can be a PITA.
Duncannutz likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #17497 of 19056 Old 09-25-2018, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Has anyone had any issues with this TV dropping the signal on any of the HDMI ports?

In my case, HDMI3 will drop the connection every few weeks... and the only thing that fixes it is power cycling the TV by pulling out the power cord and plugging it back in. Then it works fine for a few more weeks.

This is with multiple devices and different HDMI 2.0b cables, and the Enhanced HDMI setting enabled, so its likely not a device/cable issue.

Has anyone seen this, or gotten any support/fixes for it? Is the port bad?
post #17498 of 19056 Old 09-25-2018, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindman View Post
Has anyone had any issues with this TV dropping the signal on any of the HDMI ports?

In my case, HDMI3 will drop the connection every few weeks... and the only thing that fixes it is power cycling the TV by pulling out the power cord and plugging it back in. Then it works fine for a few more weeks.

This is with multiple devices and different HDMI 2.0b cables, and the Enhanced HDMI setting enabled, so its likely not a device/cable issue.

Have you tried just disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable? I would suspect an HDCP handshake problem if that works.

Also what device is at the opposite end of the cable?

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #17499 of 19056 Old 09-25-2018, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

Had this happen to me last week; Comcast cable box was the culprit.
post #17500 of 19056 Old 09-25-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Have you tried just disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable? I would suspect an HDCP handshake problem if that works.

Also what device is at the opposite end of the cable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venez68 View Post
Had this happen to me last week; Comcast cable box was the culprit.
PS4 Pro and a PC. Both using different cables and I did try disconnecting and reconnecting them several times.

I suspected HDCP too, so I turned off HDCP on the PS4 Pro a few weeks ago. But last night the issue occured again, and a power cycle fixed it... for now that is.
post #17501 of 19056 Old 09-25-2018, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
PS4 Pro and a PC. Both using different cables and I did try disconnecting and reconnecting them several times.

I suspected HDCP too, so I turned off HDCP on the PS4 Pro a few weeks ago. But last night the issue occured again, and a power cycle fixed it... for now that is.
My PC lost signal a few times and a reboot always fixed it...

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
post #17502 of 19056 Old 09-25-2018, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1699 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
Finally got the update. What I see and you tell me if I'm crazy but motion is much better or improved, and HDR looked slightly better. It's that the general take or is my head playing tricks on me?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #17503 of 19056 Old 09-25-2018, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor08 View Post
Quote:
Hi All - I'm having 2 really annoying issues, was curious if anyone else is seeing either or has an idea on a fix...

1. Randomly the 900e is turning on my avr (Yamaha rx-v683) while in standby. I'm not 100% certain that it's the tv (vs my avr), but I think it is very likely as when I turn the avr off, the unit is set to HDMI1 (cable box). But when it gets turned on out of nowhere, the input is HDMI3 (ARC). This has probably happened about a dozen times so far (in the last 6 months or so since I've had the tv).

2. When watching sports, and the camera changes shots, the screen has a single, noticeable stutter then corrects itself. It's difficult to describe exactly what I'm seeing (it almost seems similar to screen tearing from a distraction perspective)...but I've noticed it watching football and hockey. It appears to happen only when the shot being changed to has a lot of moment, or the camera itself is moving.

Any suggestions?
For issue #1 is a little hard to tell because there is not complete information about what is the status of the system when the issue happens. You say the TV turns on the AVR while on standby, which one? the TV? AVR? both? current activity on the TV when the issue happened? did it happen when the V was just turned on? One thing to keep in mind with the 900E, ARC only works with CEC (in this case BraviaSync) enabled for both the TV and AVR, so certain functions and commands on the AVR can be triggered by the TV.
For #2 I think is a matter of the bitrate chosen for the broadcast and the available bandwidth at the moment.
Thanks very much for the response. The tv and avr are both "off" (in standby mode) when the problem happens. So nothing is being used when it happens. There is no pattern or anything...Randomly I'll go into my living room and the avr is on, with input set to the arc (hdmi3) input
post #17504 of 19056 Old 09-25-2018, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Finally got the update. What I see and you tell me if I'm crazy but motion is much better or improved, and HDR looked slightly better. It's that the general take or is my head playing tricks on me?

Didn't notice anything motion-wise but it does seem HDR is brighter to me, that was one of my complains before that HDR didn't seem as bright as SDR content.
post #17505 of 19056 Old 09-25-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:

Have you tried a different hdmi input? If you have multiple devices connected, what happens if you switch to a different input, using a different device?

I've had a few different issues with handshakes when turning everything on...either getting an hdcp error, or just a no signal message. Usually turning everything off and turning everything back on has fixed it.

I've also had a weird issue while playing my ps4 pro (specifically, Bioshock) there ll where the screen goes black (don't recall if there was sound or not) for a few seconds, then comes back. I chalked that up to either the game itself (it is known to "soft freeze") or my ps4 (I have not played any other games yet), not the tv, since I have not seen this with other devices.
post #17506 of 19056 Old 09-25-2018, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1699 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by solid12345 View Post
Didn't notice anything motion-wise but it does seem HDR is brighter to me, that was one of my complains before that HDR didn't seem as bright as SDR content.
Huh I could have sworn motion was better but who knows. HDR looks fantastic but I already thought it looked fantastic. Just a tad better now.

post #17507 of 19056 Old 09-25-2018, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Just finished my update and only thing I noticed was Android seems even slower than it was before. Might be my imagination since I didn't have much time to check it all out.

Matt
post #17508 of 19056 Old 09-25-2018, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Thanks very much for the response. The tv and avr are both "off" (in standby mode) when the problem happens. So nothing is being used when it happens. There is no pattern or anything...Randomly I'll go into my living room and the avr is on, with input set to the arc (hdmi3) input
If the TV is set to automatically check for firmware updates, try turning that off. With that setting enabled, the TV will periodically "wake up" just enough to check for an update and that's also enough to cause connected devices to auto power on.

Just one more reason I have that completely turned off....
post #17509 of 19056 Old 09-25-2018, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post

Your head is playing tricks on you, the mind game is real.
post #17510 of 19056 Old 09-25-2018, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:

Any suggestions?
Have you tried turning on AV Sync under Sound settings? There is a known problem with frame repeats/drops under the circumstances you describe. For some reason, turning AV Sync on resolves it.

BTW, the latest firmware update does not resolve this issue. So far, the main difference I've noticed is the picture adjustments menu comes up much faster now. It used to take up to 7 seconds to appear.
post #17511 of 19056 Old 09-25-2018, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Built in YouTube app will not do HDR video (not that big of a deal)
Built in Netflix app works great, I use it all the time without issue
Built in Amazon app had some issues with HDR and the letterbox bars being grey instead of black, not like light blooming grey- they are not black
Google movies is fine, Vudu is fine

I like using the built in apps because you can set your picture preferences differently for each app rather than setting one picture preference for the input the HDMI is plugged into from your streaming device. I like YouTube for demo videos and the colors are ramped up a little bit more for "Wow" factor. Netflix is setup for normal viewing. Don't think you could do it like that if using an external streaming device as the picture settings would be the same for all apps.
Picture settings are not for each app. They can be customized based on app type. There’s two main types. Apps (video) and Apps.

Examples:
Amazon, Vudu, YT, Netflix, Google Play are “apps (video)” type
Ultra 4K, PlayStation video, Fandango Now, Plex are “apps” type
post #17512 of 19056 Old 09-25-2018, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

I don't know about that. I have PC, PS4 and xbone connected and never had a single problem. I am more thinking you should try resetting the TV and see if that fixes it. Seeing you eliminated the cables as the problem.
post #17513 of 19056 Old 09-26-2018, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
Quote:
If the TV is set to automatically check for firmware updates, try turning that off. With that setting enabled, the TV will periodically "wake up" just enough to check for an update and that's also enough to cause connected devices to auto power on.

Just one more reason I have that completely turned off....
Tyvm, will search for that setting and disable
post #17514 of 19056 Old 09-26-2018, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1gmouth View Post
Quote:

Any suggestions?
Have you tried turning on AV Sync under Sound settings? There is a known problem with frame repeats/drops under the circumstances you describe. For some reason, turning AV Sync on resolves it.

BTW, the latest firmware update does not resolve this issue. So far, the main difference I've noticed is the picture adjustments menu comes up much faster now. It used to take up to 7 seconds to appear.
Thank you! That is not enabled but I will give that a shot. Regarding firmware...I amam a few updates behind. I have not updated as someone mentioned that update a few months ago made colors look washed out (red specifically, I believe)
post #17515 of 19056 Old 09-26-2018, 04:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 304
I thought in the new firmware update live football mode was gone.Mine is still in picture adjustments menu after installing the update last night.

Matt
post #17516 of 19056 Old 09-26-2018, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
I thought in the new firmware update live football mode was gone.Mine is still in picture adjustments menu after installing the update last night.
It's still there, but only for HDMI inputs and antenna... Not for apps. I've been a bit irritated since getting my 940D almost two years ago that this is a "preset" but can't be easily duplicated manually. I use an antenna, but use the HDHR app to tune in the channels. Since I'm watching live football OTA via an APP, I don't have access to this setting.

If Sony (or anyone, really) would post the details on exactly what settings would duplicate that preset, that would be great.
mattg3 likes this.
post #17517 of 19056 Old 09-26-2018, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Picture settings are not for each app. They can be customized based on app type. There’s two main types. Apps (video) and Apps.

Examples:
Amazon, Vudu, YT, Netflix, Google Play are “apps (video)” type
Ultra 4K, PlayStation video, Fandango Now, Plex are “apps” type
I know for a fact that YouTube and Netflix have different picture settings. I have brightness on YouTube much higher and it's not even using the same picture preset. YouTube is using Standard and Netflix is using Cinema Pro. They may start the same, but I'm pretty sure you can go in and customize per app. At least some of the apps, I don't use them all...

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 55x930d (Retired)
post #17518 of 19056 Old 09-26-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Have you tried a different hdmi input? If you have multiple devices connected, what happens if you switch to a different input, using a different device?

I've had a few different issues with handshakes when turning everything on...either getting an hdcp error, or just a no signal message. Usually turning everything off and turning everything back on has fixed it.

I've also had a weird issue while playing my ps4 pro (specifically, Bioshock) there ll where the screen goes black (don't recall if there was sound or not) for a few seconds, then comes back. I chalked that up to either the game itself (it is known to "soft freeze") or my ps4 (I have not played any other games yet), not the tv, since I have not seen this with other devices.
I'll try switching to a different input/device next time and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic dog View Post
I don't know about that. I have PC, PS4 and xbone connected and never had a single problem. I am more thinking you should try resetting the TV and see if that fixes it. Seeing you eliminated the cables as the problem.
Yeah, resetting it is definitely something I will be doing soon to try and fix it. Thanks.
post #17519 of 19056 Old 09-26-2018, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 107
This TV has a known issue with CEC turning receivers back on after power off, it happens on my Integra as well. There’s a lot of “folk remedies” but nothing consistent. I was hoping Yamahas were immune since that’s probably my next receiver brand.
post #17520 of 19056 Old 09-26-2018, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
I know for a fact that YouTube and Netflix have different picture settings. I have brightness on YouTube much higher and it's not even using the same picture preset. YouTube is using Standard and Netflix is using Cinema Pro. They may start the same, but I'm pretty sure you can go in and customize per app. At least some of the apps, I don't use them all...
Netflix and Youtube belong to the same apps type ... Apps (Video), and therefore use the same picture settings. Of course you can then override after the app has started. But whatever they were currently set to, they will always start to whatever was previously saved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page