2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 585 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40381Likes

post #17521 of 19188 Old 09-26-2018, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Netflix and Youtube belong to the same apps type ... Apps (Video), and therefore use the same picture settings. Of course you can then override after the app has started. But whatever they were currently set to, they will always start to whatever was previously saved.
Yes, but what I am saying is if you change the settings they will stay the same. So if you change Netflix to standard and adjust picture settings and then adjust YouTube to Cinema Home and change the settings it won't impact Netflix. They start out the same, but once you change them they don't impact one another. So if both start on Standard and you change them both to something else, they will retain their independant settings.

Edit: Actually they don't now which is very weird because they definitely used to...That sucks..

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)

Last edited by joshua goard; 09-26-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17522 of 19188 Old 09-26-2018, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by qirex View Post
This TV has a known issue with CEC turning receivers back on after power off, it happens on my Integra as well. There’s a lot of “folk remedies” but nothing consistent. I was hoping Yamahas were immune since that’s probably my next receiver brand.
Where is this documented? I have zero issues with the CEC functions and my TV is set to NOT allow auto update of the firmware (which keeps the TV in a full standby state at all times).
post #17523 of 19188 Old 09-26-2018, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
Where is this documented? I have zero issues with the CEC functions and my TV is set to NOT allow auto update of the firmware (which keeps the TV in a full standby state at all times).
https://us.community.sony.com/s/ques...language=en_US
There's a lot of people having the same problem in this thread as well. I've tried basically everything and while some things work temporarily like disconnecting and power cycling components, ARC on/off, networking on/off, scanning again, etc. nothing has been consistent. I'd mainly heard the issue is with Onkyo/Integra stuff but as far as I can tell it's definitely something with the TV [I had no issues with an older Sony and the same receiver] and Sony has done nothing to remedy it.

Everything else CEC works perfectly, it just turns my receiver back on and sets it to the ARC input 2-20 seconds after power off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17524 of 19188 Old 09-26-2018, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
https://us.community.sony.com/s/ques...language=en_US
There's a lot of people having the same problem in this thread as well. I've tried basically everything and while some things work temporarily like disconnecting and power cycling components, ARC on/off, networking on/off, scanning again, etc. nothing has been consistent. I'd mainly heard the issue is with Onkyo/Integra stuff but as far as I can tell it's definitely something with the TV [I had no issues with an older Sony and the same receiver] and Sony has done nothing to remedy it.

Everything else CEC works perfectly, it just turns my receiver back on and sets it to the ARC input 2-20 seconds after power off.
That's a discussion on a forum about a specific issue, much like the comments that have been posted here. "Documented" would be an official statement from Sony on the issue.

Why does Sony need to "do" anything to remedy it if it turns out that it isn't an issue at all and could be "fixed" by changing settings (like turning off the auto-update)? What if it isn't actually a Sony problem at all and is related to the fact that HDMI-CEC is generally accepted as a not-well-implemented technology?

The fact that you operated a different TV with that receiver and didn't have this same issue doesn't really prove anything specific, and it could at least imply exactly what I have mentioned already - the TV comes out of standby mode to check for firmware updates and this is enough to trigger the turning on of connected devices. And, it isn't in a non-standby state long enough for the connected device to recognize the power off state change as well.
post #17525 of 19188 Old 09-26-2018, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
This TV has a known issue with CEC turning receivers back on after power off, it happens on my Integra as well. There’s a lot of “folk remedies” but nothing consistent. I was hoping Yamahas were immune since that’s probably my next receiver brand.
My Yamaha receiver has not once failed to turn on, or work over HDMI3. I set it once and have never had to mess with it again. TV powers it on and controls volume like a champ.
post #17526 of 19188 Old 09-26-2018, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic dog View Post
My Yamaha receiver has not once failed to turn on, or work over HDMI3. I set it once and have never had to mess with it again. TV powers it on and controls volume like a champ.
The issue that @qirex is having is that shutting everything down will power all items off, but the receiver will be "on" at some point later when they come back into the room. This is almost certainly because of the TV waking up periodically to check for firmware updates.
post #17527 of 19188 Old 09-26-2018, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
The issue that @qirex is having is that shutting everything down will power all items off, but the receiver will be "on" at some point later when they come back into the room. This is almost certainly because of the TV waking up periodically to check for firmware updates.
I don't have automatic updates on and the receiver powers back on within 10 seconds of power-off, usually within 2 seconds. I've been dealing with this issue for almost a year, for my setup there is no reliable fix.
post #17528 of 19188 Old 09-26-2018, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't have automatic updates on and the receiver powers back on within 10 seconds of power-off, usually within 2 seconds. I've been dealing with this issue for almost a year, for my setup there is no reliable fix.
Have you checked the cable / tried a different one?

What about firmware updates for the AVR?
post #17529 of 19188 Old 09-26-2018, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
Well guys...When i joined this forum I had just purchased a Sony 940e and ultimately sent it back over motion issues. I replaced it with a 900e which I have been very happy with. Some minor blooming and greyish black bars, but motion was very clean and overall I loved the tv. But today I took delivery of a 75 inch Sony z9d...And it's freaking awesome!!!

I know I've ruffled some feathers around here, no apologies lol. The one thing I think most people could use this day and age is a little thicker skin...

I know I've helped some around here with picture settings and want to thank you for taking the time to let me know you enjoyed them. I also appreciate all the guys that helped me sort out some of the audio lip sync issues I was having. Peace y'all...

What? I don't want to lose you.

What makes the z9d better?
post #17530 of 19188 Old 09-26-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Oh yea. It does do that on occasion. I did not realize that was the "issue" as I have become used to it happening on occasion. I am not sure it is limited to Yamaha though, if I recall other brands will have that happen also.
post #17531 of 19188 Old 09-26-2018, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I don’t use the android OS , but I want to keep the Ethernet cable plugged in , is there an option in settings to turn off internet connection to the tv while keeping the Ethernet cable plugged in , I want to keep it in for the rare time I do want to use the apps or update the tv firmware

I want the os to run as fast as possible and keeping the internet off helps
post #17532 of 19188 Old 09-27-2018, 03:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatolays View Post
I don’t use the android OS , but I want to keep the Ethernet cable plugged in , is there an option in settings to turn off internet connection to the tv while keeping the Ethernet cable plugged in , I want to keep it in for the rare time I do want to use the apps or update the tv firmware

I want the os to run as fast as possible and keeping the internet off helps
You can turn WiFi on and off, but there's no way that I know of to disable the hardwired ethernet port. if your use will be as "rare" as you imply, just unplug it.

Also - Allowing the TV to perform auto updates requires that you agree to Sony's policies which include you giving permission for the TV to "phone home" with details about your usage. I learned this early on and have completely disabled the auto update features on ALL of my Bravia TV's and do the updates manually now.
post #17533 of 19188 Old 09-27-2018, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Thanks for confirming. Unfortunately they are not immune
post #17534 of 19188 Old 09-27-2018, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Settings that may change after a firmware update?

Yesterday afternoon I got the pop-up message about the firmware update. I hit yes, expecting it to update immediately. The next message said the update would happen the next time the TV was in stand by.

So, last night, we turned the TV off before heading to bed. The update started, took about 10 to 12 minutes, and then the TV powered itself off.

Turn the TV on this morning, and see a message about the firmware update being successful. With "Some settings may have changed." Uh oh.

The picture settings seem right. I checked that Samba was still off and it was. Anything else I should check and/or turn off?
post #17535 of 19188 Old 09-27-2018, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 311
This is about 4th update for me since I bought the set and I never found my settings changed.If settings changed it would be useless to buy a calibration.
MentatYP likes this.

Matt
post #17536 of 19188 Old 09-27-2018, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaOne View Post
Yesterday afternoon I got the pop-up message about the firmware update. I hit yes, expecting it to update immediately. The next message said the update would happen the next time the TV was in stand by.

So, last night, we turned the TV off before heading to bed. The update started, took about 10 to 12 minutes, and then the TV powered itself off.

Turn the TV on this morning, and see a message about the firmware update being successful. With "Some settings may have changed." Uh oh.

The picture settings seem right. I checked that Samba was still off and it was. Anything else I should check and/or turn off?
That’s the standard message. I’ve had this TV for over a year and only once did an update reset any of my custom settings. But it’s always a possibility.

My TV auto-updated yesterday as well with no issues. But if you’ve made any changes to the developer options, like limit background processes, you’ll definitely want to reset those since any hard reboot will likely reset them.
MentatYP likes this.
post #17537 of 19188 Old 09-27-2018, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
This is about 4th update for me since I bought the set and I never found my settings changed.If settings changed it would be useless to buy a calibration.
No not really, since all of those settings should be written down for you and can be restored at any time.
mattg3 likes this.
post #17538 of 19188 Old 09-27-2018, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
That’s the standard message. I’ve had this TV for over a year and only once did an update reset any of my custom settings. But it’s always a possibility.

My TV auto-updated yesterday as well with no issues. But if you’ve made any changes to the developer options, like limit background processes, you’ll definitely want to reset those since any hard reboot will likely reset them.
I haven't changed any of the developer options. I don't use any of the apps on the TV...I have an Apple TV for that kind of stuff.
post #17539 of 19188 Old 09-27-2018, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 72
what did the update fix?
post #17540 of 19188 Old 09-27-2018, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoryx View Post
what did the update fix?

People moaning to get an update

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DougDingle and chuckf1 like this.

Sony XBR65X900E, Oppo UDP-203 Universal Player
Front L&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds & Rears - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Marantz SR6012
post #17541 of 19188 Old 09-27-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airsculpture View Post
People moaning to get an update
OMG so true lololol.

WHat did it fix? I can tell you that my mediaPC had a strange issue where I would get no sound after turning the TV off for 15+ minutes (media PC always on) -I would have to reset sound settings on the PC in order to get it working again. After this update this issue no longer happens. So something was done in how the TV behaves when off. I wonder if the random receiver turning on will also be resolved but I have not seen it happen yet so maybe it did.

Otherwise I see no real differences. Sounds like this update was mostly small fixes and improvements.

Last edited by atomic dog; 09-27-2018 at 10:54 AM. Reason: clarity
post #17542 of 19188 Old 09-27-2018, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
The only reason I wanted the update was because I thought it would turn my 55 inch into a 65 inch. So in my eyes it failed.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
TonyS and Ricoflashback like this.
post #17543 of 19188 Old 09-27-2018, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoryx View Post
what did the update fix?
The only thing I know for sure is it replaced the Sony-specific version of Vudu with the regular app from Google Play that does 4K and Atmos. In my case since I had already installed the app from Google Play before the update, it just removed the redundant old Sony version.

Sony XBR-55X900E || Sony UBP-X800 | Sony PS4 Pro | Sony PS3 | Roku Premiere 2018
Sony SCD-555ES || Marantz SR6012 | AC Infinity Aircom T8 || Paradigm Studio 80, 20, CC v2 | Polk OWM3 | PSA XS30
post #17544 of 19188 Old 09-27-2018, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I know this is a pretty minor thing but I noticed after the last update that the weather info on the backdrop screensaver is no longer displayed. (I really like the random google photos but I wish it displayed them in 4k and not 1080p, and the built in Chromecast text and url on the bottom left is unnecessary and looks tacky). It still shows the time, but no weather even though location option is turned on. Anyone else not have weather info anymore after updating?

Sony 49X900E
post #17545 of 19188 Old 09-28-2018, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuraman00 View Post
What? I don't want to lose you.

What makes the z9d better?
@joshua goard , if you don't mind, can you post some thoughts on what you like better about the z9d, and why you chose it to replace the 900E?
post #17546 of 19188 Old 09-28-2018, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@joshua goard , if you don't mind, can you post some thoughts on what you like better about the z9d, and why you chose it to replace the 900E?
Hi Nuraman00. I would like to introduce you to a possible future friend. They will be able to answer most of your questions. I would assume you may have even interacted with them in the past at some point. Maybe they were the ones who brought you to this forum.

Nuraman00...Meet Google...www.google.com

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #17547 of 19188 Old 09-28-2018, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Nuraman00. I would like to introduce you to a possible future friend. They will be able to answer most of your questions. I would assume you may have even interacted with them in the past at some point. Maybe they were the ones who brought you to this forum.

Nuraman00...Meet Google...www.google.com
Ok ok ok...mabye that was a bit harsh...lol But still true. A lot of the questions I've answered for you in the past several weeks could have been sorted out with google. But ok.

75 inch 900e...60ish local dimming zones
75 inch z9d...900ish local dimming zones

900e...Peak brightness...800ish nits
z9d...1800ish nits

900e...no 3d
z9d...has 3d

900e...X1 Processor
z9d...X1 Extreme processor (Dolby Vision Support)

In the end, the local dimming is light years better, most scenes directly compete with my Sony A1E OLED without the need for bias lighting. HDR is unbelievably stunning on the z9d. The 900e was and is a great set. I have very few complaints and if I wouldn't have gotten the deal on the z9d that I did I would have not replaced it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	09-25-2018_09-00_0591.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	2461510   Click image for larger version

Name:	09-25-2018_09-00_0590.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2461512  
Ricoflashback likes this.

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #17548 of 19188 Old 09-28-2018, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ok ok ok...mabye that was a bit harsh...lol But still true. A lot of the questions I've answered for you in the past several weeks could have been sorted out with google. But ok.

75 inch 900e...60ish local dimming zones

75 inch z9d...900ish local dimming zones

900e...Peak brightness...800ish nits

z9d...1800ish nits

900e...no 3d

z9d...has 3d

900e...X1 Processor

z9d...X1 Extreme processor (Dolby Vision Support)

In the end, the local dimming is light years better, most scenes directly compete with my Sony A1E OLED without the need for bias lighting. HDR is unbelievably stunning on the z9d. The 900e was and is a great set. I have very few complaints and if I wouldn't have gotten the deal on the z9d that I did I would have not replaced it.

To be fair, he did ask what are “your” thoughts, not some random tech opinions from the internet or spec comparisons.

Think he wanted personal opinions from you.

post #17549 of 19188 Old 09-28-2018, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airsculpture View Post
To be fair, he did ask what are “your” thoughts, not some random tech opinions from the internet or spec comparisons.

Think he wanted personal opinions from you.

I know...I felt like a prick afterwards...Sorry man...

Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
post #17550 of 19188 Old 09-28-2018, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I know...I felt like a prick afterwards...Sorry man...

We’ve all done it at some point

MentatYP likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags