2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 588 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40413Likes

post #17611 of 19379 Old 10-04-2018, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This is weird

Before the latest firmware update my hdr was bright ,after i did the update hdr was looking dark and I almost stopped using hdr
So today reading old pages from this thread someone mentions to check the enhanced hdmi 4k setting after an update
(I had it on before the update) I check it today and is on but I toggled the setting to off and back to on
And now hdr is bright like it was before

I don’t know if this is all in my head and it looks the same as before

Side note
After watching nothing but 4k movies for the past month since I got this tv , now 720p looks like **** to me
And that sucks cause all my movies on plex are 720p

Last edited by Potatolays; 10-04-2018 at 11:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17612 of 19379 Old 10-05-2018, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentatYP View Post
Let me clarify my comments about "Ultra HD 4K" on Netflix. AFAIK the term "Ultra HD" implies HDR, but Netflix isn't using it that way. They're just using it to mean 4K resolution. They tag HDR content with "HDR", which in their terminology I believe means both 4K and HDR. It's a mess.
Apologies for being pedantic, but I did a little research and think that's still incorrect. "Ultra HD" is the official name for a resolution standard and has nothing to do with HDR.

Full HD or FHD = 1920x1080

Ultra HD or UHD = 3840x2180

4K = 4096x2180

You'll notice that UHD is actually slightly lower resolution than 4K. It's double the resolution of FHD vertically, but not horizontally. The reason why you sometimes see "Ultra HD 4K" is to clarify you're getting the UHD version, not true 4K.
post #17613 of 19379 Old 10-05-2018, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
What pic settings are used to fix a (don't really no how to explain) almost grainy picture at times?
Mostly noticeable after i switched from Comcast to Verizon Fios, i've also had the latest update so i don't know if that has anything to do with it.
I'm currently using the rtings custom settings tweaked just a little bit.
Shows on Netflix are not displaying this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17614 of 19379 Old 10-05-2018, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Audio issues

Need some help. I have the XBR-65X900E connected to a sonos play bar for all sound. I have my tv internal speakers disabled.

The problem occurs periodically when I use the built in apps. Every few days or less when I launch an app like Netflix or YouTube the digital audio out volume under advanced settings, sound adjustments gets lowered to 0. I can change it back and get sound but in a few days it happens again. No clear pattern what triggers it. Any advice?
post #17615 of 19379 Old 10-05-2018, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentatYP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeytv99 View Post
Yep, I have the 4k subscription and all the settings correct. Again, I see the VISION badges on my Netflix app through Apple TV 4k. If I access Netflix through the TV app, I see the HDR badges.
"DV" badge on Apple TV and "HDR" badge on TV's app sounds reasonable to me. What's important is when you play content and access Picture Settings on your TV you see "HDR" toward the top of the settings screen. That indicates that you're showing HDR10 content regardless of what it says in the Netflix app.

I don't have an Apple TV to try out stuff, sorry.
Yes, that is exactly how this works. The 900E only supports HDR. Most of the major streaming services support DV, but fall back to HDR where the equipment does not support DV. Netflix and Apple even support DV & HDR over 1080p as well.

So, even though Netflix reports DV through the ATV, only HDR metadata is sent to the 900E, which confirms the HDR content via the Picture Adjustments menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatolays View Post
This is weird

Before the latest firmware update my hdr was bright ,after i did the update hdr was looking dark and I almost stopped using hdr
So today reading old pages from this thread someone mentions to check the enhanced hdmi 4k setting after an update
(I had it on before the update) I check it today and is on but I toggled the setting to off and back to on
And now hdr is bright like it was before

I don’t know if this is all in my head and it looks the same as before

Side note
After watching nothing but 4k movies for the past month since I got this tv , now 720p looks like **** to me
And that sucks cause all my movies on plex are 720p
720p looks absolutely amazing to me still. In contrast, I see very little difference between 4K and 1080p or 720p unless I'm within 5 feet or so of my 65" 900E. I find HDR makes a much bigger difference to the picture quality than HD/UHD -- especially since much of the available 4K content is actually 2K (or less) upscaled, and only consuming bandwidth.
post #17616 of 19379 Old 10-05-2018, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
720p looks absolutely amazing to me still. In contrast, I see very little difference between 4K and 1080p or 720p unless I'm within 5 feet or so of my 65" 900E. I find HDR makes a much bigger difference to the picture quality than HD/UHD -- especially since much of the available 4K content is actually 2K (or less) upscaled, and only consuming bandwidth.
Yea 720 can look pretty good if the source is good quality. But I suspect his library is is full of 720p 700mb video files which will show plenty or artifacts.

And yes I 100% agree a 1080p HDR video (such as Bright on Netflix) looks amazing. Most 1080 HDR stuff looks pretty damn good to the point where I don't care it isn't 4k.
post #17617 of 19379 Old 10-05-2018, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 619
2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic dog View Post
Yea 720 can look pretty good if the source is good quality. But I suspect his library is is full of 720p 700mb video files which will show plenty or artifacts.

And yes I 100% agree a 1080p HDR video (such as Bright on Netflix) looks amazing. Most 1080 HDR stuff looks pretty damn good to the point where I don't care it isn't 4k.

Agreed. All my 700 plus movies in my iTunes library are at 720p but range in size between 2GB and 5GB with a AC3 stereo or 5.1 audio track and look pretty dam good on the TV after upscaling.

Although not sure about setting HDR for non 4K material ? Never done that, always thought HDR was a 4K “enhancement”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65X900E, Oppo UDP-203 Universal Player
Front L&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds & Rears - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Marantz SR6012
post #17618 of 19379 Old 10-06-2018, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidoug View Post
Thanks, Everyone. Roku seems to rule but I see so many negative comments when I go online esp, Consumer Reports and CNET. Now I know this is elemental but I am planning to get, a device, prob Roku, plug it in get it working to see if I like this.
I've owned several of the HD Rokus, and they all seemed to work fine with the exception of the HD stick, which literally got too hot to touch due to a short and pretty much melted. I still have one that's several years old that works in my shop.

I have had terrible luck with their 4K units. The first one I owned just died with no output after a year or so of light use, and the second one got stuck in a firmware update loop a month after I got it.

For 4K, I use the original Amazon Fire box in two rooms. They seem to hold up well, although they are (of course) remarkably Amazon-centric.

I've been thinking about the Apple device, but I really have a problem with their attitude of "Gosh, you're technically incompetent. We get that. So we're going to make everything automatic and set things up the way we want and give you limited options so you don't have to worry your little brain about it." Things do seem to improve slightly with each firmware update they send, so I'm keeping an eye on it.

Why not buy what you want to try from a place with a decent return policy (like Costco or maybe Best Buy), and if you don't like it, return it?
post #17619 of 19379 Old 10-06-2018, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
I've owned several of the HD Rokus, and they all seemed to work fine with the exception of the HD stick, which literally got too hot to touch due to a short and pretty much melted. I still have one that's several years old that works in my shop.

I have had terrible luck with their 4K units. The first one I owned just died with no output after a year or so of light use, and the second one got stuck in a firmware update loop a month after I got it.

For 4K, I use the original Amazon Fire box in two rooms. They seem to hold up well, although they are (of course) remarkably Amazon-centric.

I've been thinking about the Apple device, but I really have a problem with their attitude of "Gosh, you're technically incompetent. We get that. So we're going to make everything automatic and set things up the way we want and give you limited options so you don't have to worry your little brain about it." Things do seem to improve slightly with each firmware update they send, so I'm keeping an eye on it.

Why not buy what you want to try from a place with a decent return policy (like Costco or maybe Best Buy), and if you don't like it, return it?
Thanks for that. Costco only option for me. Will look into that. Just since posting original my Samsung 8500 quit working , forcing me to use the Sony platform which seems clunky and worse video, ugh. Contacted Crutchfield's, purchased from, bless their hearts. They have been a lifesaver for me. They shipped my 55" 900e when no one else would.

Reference something I said from previous about Roku. In the comments at CNWT and Consumer reports there is always a bad comment like burning up. As in this quote.
post #17620 of 19379 Old 10-07-2018, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 666
So my original X900E is going strong, but the model I purchased from Bestbuy which was Geeksquad refurb has been experience consistent black screen, but with audio still functioning.
I had recently updated the firmware, so thought that may be the culprit. I have tried multiple HDMI cable, factory reset and switching devices on each input.
Nothing seems to help. It happens every 20-30 minutes of use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #17621 of 19379 Old 10-07-2018, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
So my original X900E is going strong, but the model I purchased from Bestbuy which was Geeksquad refurb has been experience consistent black screen, but with audio still functioning.
I had recently updated the firmware, so thought that may be the culprit. I have tried multiple HDMI cable, factory reset and switching devices on each input.
Nothing seems to help. It happens every 20-30 minutes of use.
If there's a warranty, I would invoke it right away. That does not sound like a self-healing problem.
post #17622 of 19379 Old 10-07-2018, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
If there's a warranty, I would invoke it right away. That does not sound like a self-healing problem.

I have time left on the return period. It was a geek squad verified open box, so I’ll wrap it back up and haul it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #17623 of 19379 Old 10-07-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post
I have time left on the return period. It was a geek squad verified open box, so I’ll wrap it back up and haul it back.
Yea take it back ASAP. I never buy refurbished/returned items because I have been burned so many times in the past. Just not worth it. Anyway I hear the 900F is quite nice and I imagine there are deals to be had now.
post #17624 of 19379 Old 10-08-2018, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I am noticing a lot of horizontal banding that wasn't there before. I think it is only coming from Comcast cable but I need to do a little more diagnosis to be sure.
Does anybody have a recommendation what it might be or where to start?

65" Sony X900E, Denon X2300, SVS Prime LCR, Polk TSI100 surround, 2X 18" RSS460HO sealed 3.5ft3, Inuke 6KDSP, minidsp 2x4 revA
post #17625 of 19379 Old 10-08-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGERIC View Post
I am noticing a lot of horizontal banding that wasn't there before. I think it is only coming from Comcast cable but I need to do a little more diagnosis to be sure.
Does anybody have a recommendation what it might be or where to start?
An easy test to see if it is the TV would be to switch to a HDMI input with no input going in, the screen will become gray after a few seconds. Then go through picture settings from vivid down and see if you can discern any horizontal lines. This would cement that it is the cable itself or cable box.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #17626 of 19379 Old 10-09-2018, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi AVS friends. I have a new 65X900E that I purchased in June 2018. Last night when I turned off the TV while running netflix everything was fine. This morning when I turned it on, half the screen was black (left side) and half the screen was sort of a data'ish looking, multi-color static/snow. Power off / on did not fix the problem, however when I switched to TV mode (Antenna) it immediately tuned in perfectly to one of the digital OTA station just like it should. When I hit the home button, the menu came up just fine and all was well. The only things I have plugged in are a Yamaha receiver in the ARC which was off and the coax from the antenna. I use the built in PS Vue for TV.

Realizing this hopefully was just a one off occurrence and switching inputs fixed the problem, I'm concerned it could be the sign of bad things to come. Hopefully just a software glitch. Has anyone else had this type of odd split screen issue? Previously the only other issue I've had was a total menu lockup the first day I had the TV which was fixed by powering off/on. That has not happened again since. Thanks everyone!

Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3100
DaLite 106" Cinemavision Permwall
Sony XBR65X900E
Samsung UN65HU8550
Toshiba Cinema Series 52LX177
post #17627 of 19379 Old 10-09-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweezilz View Post
Hi AVS friends. I have a new 65X900E that I purchased in June 2018. Last night when I turned off the TV while running netflix everything was fine. This morning when I turned it on, half the screen was black (left side) and half the screen was sort of a data'ish looking, multi-color static/snow. Power off / on did not fix the problem, however when I switched to TV mode (Antenna) it immediately tuned in perfectly to one of the digital OTA station just like it should. When I hit the home button, the menu came up just fine and all was well. The only things I have plugged in are a Yamaha receiver in the ARC which was off and the coax from the antenna. I use the built in PS Vue for TV.

Realizing this hopefully was just a one off occurrence and switching inputs fixed the problem, I'm concerned it could be the sign of bad things to come. Hopefully just a software glitch. Has anyone else had this type of odd split screen issue? Previously the only other issue I've had was a total menu lockup the first day I had the TV which was fixed by powering off/on. That has not happened again since. Thanks everyone!
Sounds like an HDMI handshake issue. I have had this happen once in a while with my mediaPC. I usually just unplug the HDMI cable and replug it in and it fixes the issue. If it happens often try replacing the cable just in case, but this is a normal random occurrence that always happens to me when turning on the TV. When I say random I mean like every 6 weeks.
post #17628 of 19379 Old 10-09-2018, 07:24 PM

Liked: 42
Quote:
An easy test to see if it is the TV would be to switch to a HDMI input with no input going in, the screen will become gray after a few seconds. Then go through picture settings from vivid down and see if you can discern any horizontal lines. This would cement that it is the cable itself or cable box.
Thanks I will try this tomorrow.

65" Sony X900E, Denon X2300, SVS Prime LCR, Polk TSI100 surround, 2X 18" RSS460HO sealed 3.5ft3, Inuke 6KDSP, minidsp 2x4 revA
post #17629 of 19379 Old 10-10-2018, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I switched some HDMI input devices around, and now my ARC (port 3) isn't sending sound to my Visio sound bar. I tried a factory reset on both the TV and sound bar with no luck. What is going on here?
I have to find my optical cable to see if that works, but I'm at a loss for what to try next.

Update: I found out it was the new C64 mini that I just got. The HDMI output from the c64 mini to the TV (x900E) was somehow blocking the HDMI CEC functions and thus ARC from other devices to the sound bar.
I've never had an HDMI device do that before.

Last edited by Tfid; 10-11-2018 at 12:36 PM.
post #17630 of 19379 Old 10-11-2018, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
"I love this TV!" I say it out loud to my wife randomly throughout the week whenever we're watching something. Purchased it in April 2017 and it has been absolute bliss! The colors, the black levels. It is still absolutely outstanding and has easily been the best TV I've ever owned. Just wanted to come in here and say it! Love you guys!

Sony XBR75X900E 75-Inch 4K UHD TV w/ Sony UBP-X800 UHD Player
Onkyo TX-NR777 THX Receiver
5.1 Polk Audio Speakers: CSI A6 Centers / 2x RTI A7 Fronts / 2x FXI A6 Surrounds
SVS MODEL 20-39PCI Cylinder Standing Sub
PS4 and Samsung J5900RF Region Free Blu-Ray Player
post #17631 of 19379 Old 10-11-2018, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1859 Post(s)
Liked: 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkblueme View Post
"I love this TV!" I say it out loud to my wife randomly throughout the week whenever we're watching something. Purchased it in April 2017 and it has been absolute bliss! The colors, the black levels. It is still absolutely outstanding and has easily been the best TV I've ever owned. Just wanted to come in here and say it! Love you guys!
Right there with ya my friend. I am impressed and amazed by this TV every single day. Was just Sully 4k and the HDR is just Stunning. The scene when he is running in Times Square is just incredible. I can't say enough about this TV.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
mattg3 and darkblueme like this.
post #17632 of 19379 Old 10-12-2018, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkblueme View Post
After a year and a half of ownership i feel the same way, i love this TV!

Only complaint is i wish i went bigger....
post #17633 of 19379 Old 10-12-2018, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Yea take it back ASAP. I never buy refurbished/returned items because I have been burned so many times in the past. Just not worth it. Anyway I hear the 900F is quite nice and I imagine there are deals to be had now.
Sorry for your bad luck. I've bought open box TVs and other major appliances. Often I'll talk the folks at Best Buy to come down in price even more, and then add on the Geek Squad warranty. Usually I'm still under the price of a new TV, and now I can just call BB or bring it in for replacement. Cross my fingers, haven't been burned yet. Almost want to have issues with my 49" 900E so I can swap it for a 65" 900F, then sell my current 65" 900E and look at another open box 49" 900F!
leojj25 likes this.

Xbox: Deezul
Sony XBR-65X900E, Sony XBR-49X900E
Go Jackets!
post #17634 of 19379 Old 10-13-2018, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Heads up for all owners or the TV - YouTube app received update and is finally supportive of the HDR via the Android TV app!

Added pics for proof.

Works very well for me - no hitching or stuttering and it's only taken 2 years to get this sorted (2016 was when YouTube was announced to be HDR supported on Sony ATV if I remember correctly?)

Either way good sign that support for apps is on the up - now for Android Oreo...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15394343970346488155376880188720_1539434464670.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	427.5 KB
ID:	2467914   Click image for larger version

Name:	15394344750003444346196855450060_1539434527963.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	870.4 KB
ID:	2467916  
MentatYP and leojj25 like this.
post #17635 of 19379 Old 10-13-2018, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Anyone know if new android Oreo is actually coming in a firmware update for this set?

Matt
post #17636 of 19379 Old 10-13-2018, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Having trouble lately with my TV not turning on or showing a black screen. I frequently have to hold the power button on the the remote to give the TV a hard reset to turn it back on. There's no problems when I have it on.
post #17637 of 19379 Old 10-13-2018, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Can you cast HDR movies through Google play on this TV?
post #17638 of 19379 Old 10-13-2018, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddysnake View Post
Can you cast HDR movies through Google play on this TV?
HDR casting will work via Youtube and Google Play Movies, but it may depend on the mobile device.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #17639 of 19379 Old 10-13-2018, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
HDR casting will work via Youtube and Google Play Movies, but it may depend on the mobile device.

Interesting, have you had success on your pixel 2? That's what I have.
post #17640 of 19379 Old 10-13-2018, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddysnake View Post
Interesting, have you had success on your pixel 2? That's what I have.
Yes. You can pull up a YouTube video from The HDR Channel, for example, and cast it in HDR onto the TV.

I have a few purchased HDR movies via Google Play Movies that work as well. I usually cast these movies to my Chromecast Ultra because of the HDR, but now I can use the TV.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version