2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 593 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40343Likes

post #17761 of 18997 Old 11-03-2018, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I don't know how to describe the problem I'm having. So I took pictures of my actual TV itself so that you can see it with your own eyes what I'm talking about (screenshots won't show it)

So, this first picture is the TV under normal 1080p 60hz conditions

https://i.imgur.com/xh0AtUH.jpg

And this next picture is what happens when I do 1080p at 120hz which, mind you, the TV is supposed to support (and many others have claimed to do so successfully)

https://i.imgur.com/1iNijPm.jpg

Look closely at the letter "A" in both.

Why is this happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17762 of 18997 Old 11-03-2018, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Has anybody ever seen anything like this before? ^^
post #17763 of 18997 Old 11-03-2018, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airsculpture View Post
Is there a way of backing up settings ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah.

Go through every single screen and write everything down or take pictures of everything with your phone. New setups and factory resets are a gigantic PITA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17764 of 18997 Old 11-03-2018, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Lately, motion is not smooth on this set like it was. I haven't changed any settings, and it seems to be on any HDMI input and every built-in app. Things just aren't smooth like they used to be and it reminds me of what I used to notice with a 60Hz set a dozen years ago.

Does anyone have any tips to troubleshoot this? Specific settings to look at? The settings are pretty much what they've been for six months and it has gone through two firmware updates in that time (which I downloaded from Sony as I do not allow my set to have direct Internet access).
post #17765 of 18997 Old 11-03-2018, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
Yeah.

Go through every single screen and write everything down or take pictures of everything with your phone. New setups and factory resets are a gigantic PITA.

Did that after the Pro calibration but just wondered as my Marantz backs up to thumb drive

Sony XBR65X900E, Oppo UDP-203 Universal Player
Front L&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds & Rears - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Marantz SR6012
post #17766 of 18997 Old 11-03-2018, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Lately, motion is not smooth on this set like it was. I haven't changed any settings, and it seems to be on any HDMI input and every built-in app. Things just aren't smooth like they used to be and it reminds me of what I used to notice with a 60Hz set a dozen years ago.

Does anyone have any tips to troubleshoot this? Specific settings to look at? The settings are pretty much what they've been for six months and it has gone through two firmware updates in that time (which I downloaded from Sony as I do not allow my set to have direct Internet access).
I’ve had every firmware download by automatic update and my motion is smooth as butter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airsculpture View Post
Did that after the Pro calibration but just wondered as my Marantz backs up to thumb drive

No the 900E definitely does not. It would be nice if that capability came with a future software update.
post #17767 of 18997 Old 11-03-2018, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
I’ve had every firmware download by automatic update and my motion is smooth as butter.
In hindsight, I realize that including that tidbit was not relevant as it doesn't matter HOW the update is performed, only THAT it is performed. However, knowing you've gone through at least a couple of updates and the motion has held clean for you makes me wonder if I might be facing a factory reset scenario.
post #17768 of 18997 Old 11-03-2018, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Weinberg View Post
I don't know how to describe the problem I'm having. So I took pictures of my actual TV itself so that you can see it with your own eyes what I'm talking about (screenshots won't show it)

So, this first picture is the TV under normal 1080p 60hz conditions

https://i.imgur.com/xh0AtUH.jpg

And this next picture is what happens when I do 1080p at 120hz which, mind you, the TV is supposed to support (and many others have claimed to do so successfully)

https://i.imgur.com/1iNijPm.jpg

Look closely at the letter "A" in both.

Why is this happening?
Have you replicated the settings I posted? Have you hit the display button to see if the TV is actually reporting it is getting a 1080P signal? Create a new custom resolution and replicate the exact settings I posted. To me it does not look like it's actually 1080.
post #17769 of 18997 Old 11-04-2018, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I was lucky enough to score a 65” 900e back when they were on clearance. The 900e that I have was a customer return to BB that was still in the box. Has anyone had an issue with the tv turning off randomly by itself? It does not happen every day. Sometimes it’s 15-20 minutes after I turn it on and other times it could be a few hours before it turns off. Thought I would check and see if anyone else has had the same issue?
post #17770 of 18997 Old 11-04-2018, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:

Here the same. But the problem is only with the app (like Netflix or Prime Video), from hdmi I get a perfect motion (from my Apple TV 4K for exemple). I will try to give a total reset at my tv.
post #17771 of 18997 Old 11-04-2018, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Auto HDR not working with Xbox?

Hi all,
I just picked up a beautiful one-year-old 75" 900E and so far LOVE the set.

I have one minor issue with it so far: It's not automatically recognizing HDR content, at least not with my particular source and setup. I have an Xbox One feeding into a Denon X3300W and from there into HDMI port 3 on the 900E. (I'm familiar with the Rtings.com/CNET settings).

The only way to get HDR to work seems to be to go into the HDR mode and expressly set it to HDR10. Then it works GREAT! I'm playing 4K/HDR Blu-rays off the Xbox. But of course, when I switch to any other content (for instance standard Netflix from the Xbox or from my PS4), I have to manually change that setting back and forth -- not good.

I have the relevant settings applied: Enhanced mode enabled, plus HDR mode, HDMI video range, and Color space all set to Auto. (I started with resetting to factory defaults on all the picture mode settings). I've tried playing with a few of these options, such as setting HDMI video range to Full, but nothing seems to work to automatically detect the HDR source.

My apologies if another post has addressed this but, while I haven't read through this entire thread, I've spent a lot of time on Google and haven't come up with an answer.

THANKS!!
Rick
post #17772 of 18997 Old 11-04-2018, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny-Italy View Post
Here the same. But the problem is only with the app (like Netflix or Prime Video), from hdmi I get a perfect motion (from my Apple TV 4K for exemple). I will try to give a total reset at my tv.
Problem is everywhere for me, although it certainly is not as BAD from the HDMI source. The built-in apps definitely show the stuttering, including the HDHR app to access my antenna.
post #17773 of 18997 Old 11-05-2018, 03:43 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyD23 View Post
I was lucky enough to score a 65” 900e back when they were on clearance. The 900e that I have was a customer return to BB that was still in the box. Has anyone had an issue with the tv turning off randomly by itself? It does not happen every day. Sometimes it’s 15-20 minutes after I turn it on and other times it could be a few hours before it turns off. Thought I would check and see if anyone else has had the same issue?
My 900E was doing that too. A "Forced Factory Reset" fixed it. Note that there are two resets: Factory Data Reset and Forced Factory Reset. You want to do the Forced Factory Reset. Good luck.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...icles/00159487
post #17774 of 18997 Old 11-05-2018, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtww View Post
Hi all,
I just picked up a beautiful one-year-old 75" 900E and so far LOVE the set.

I have one minor issue with it so far: It's not automatically recognizing HDR content, at least not with my particular source and setup. I have an Xbox One [playing Blu Ray discs] feeding into a Denon X3300W and from there into HDMI port 3 on the 900E. (I'm familiar with the Rtings.com/CNET settings).

Update -- the problem has fixed itself. I didn't change any settings, and I had already power cycled all equipment in my attempts to get auto HDR to work. But I shut down everything AGAIN and left it for a while, and when I restarted everything -- auto HDR is working. Maybe there's a magic startup sequence! In any event, all solved and I'm a happy camper. Just picked up the first season of Game of Thrones in 4K/HDR on Amazon to check out some more HDR content!!
post #17775 of 18997 Old 11-05-2018, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 43
worth updating software?

hi all,

been absent for a while (which to me is a good thing -- been happy with the TV overall and no need to check for answers )

yesterday, i got a message on my screen requesting to update the software. i declined and turned off auto-update and decided to search here for what this update would be about. i *seems* this must be Sony finally try to encourage me to do the September 2018 update? (my last update was in April/May)

i did a little looking (admittedly only 5-10 minutes of searching and skimming) and i am left wondering:

- is there any compelling reason for me upgrade if i'm content with how the TV is performing? i have moved away form using any of the native apps (we have an AppleTV 4k), i've turned of Samba, and everything functions nicely.

anyway, sorry if this is rehashing things i should have read more thoroughly, but i was hoping to get a quicker answer than rereading all the messages since the last update came in September (?)

thanks!
post #17776 of 18997 Old 11-06-2018, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
hi all,

been absent for a while (which to me is a good thing -- been happy with the TV overall and no need to check for answers )

yesterday, i got a message on my screen requesting to update the software. i declined and turned off auto-update and decided to search here for what this update would be about. i *seems* this must be Sony finally try to encourage me to do the September 2018 update? (my last update was in April/May)

i did a little looking (admittedly only 5-10 minutes of searching and skimming) and i am left wondering:

- is there any compelling reason for me upgrade if i'm content with how the TV is performing? i have moved away form using any of the native apps (we have an AppleTV 4k), i've turned of Samba, and everything functions nicely.

anyway, sorry if this is rehashing things i should have read more thoroughly, but i was hoping to get a quicker answer than rereading all the messages since the last update came in September (?)

thanks!
What is it they say? If it ain’t broke don’t fix it?

Seems like if your TV is doing everything you want/need, and you have no complaints, then you should probably skip it, until you discover something that’s bugging you or causing issues for you. Then maybe an update will fix it at that time.
post #17777 of 18997 Old 11-06-2018, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 997 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:

Seems like if your TV is doing everything you want/need, and you have no complaints, then you should probably skip it, until you discover something that’s bugging you or causing issues for you. Then maybe an update will fix it at that time.
What would be useful is if they actually SAID what it was that was fixed with an update, but it seems to be some kind of national secret.

Denon/Marantz are exactly the same. LG is very slightly more forthcoming, but still has a bullet point for "general and stability fixes".
post #17778 of 18997 Old 11-06-2018, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 69
So, I've been away for a while, happily enjoying my 65X900E, but a recent issue has come up so here I am. While I am 99% certain it is a Comcast issue, I wanted to post here to see if anyone else is experiencing anything like this. Here goes...

I have an X1 TV box (non-4K) that I have set up to power down when not in use (power saving setting). Up until a few weeks ago or so (I don't recall exactly when it started), everything was working just fine. Now, almost every time I turn my system on (using a Harmony One), I get no picture on the Cable TV input. It appears there is a signal reaching the TV as it is a black screen (no audio though) and not the gray "No Signal" screen one normally gets. When I unplug the HDMI cable from the back of the X1 box and plug it back in, the picture appears and all is fine. To troubleshoot, I have swapped HDMI cables (no change), tried a different HDMI port on the TV (no change), plugged my Blu-ray and 4K players into the HDMI port that the X1 box was on (they both work fine), and have done the restart and refresh of the X1 box.

So, like I said, I think I have ruled out the TV and the issue is with the X1 box. Before I call them though (and go through that headache), I was just curious if anyone has experienced/is experiencing this with their Comcast box and, if so, what the solution was (if any) to fix it.

Thanks!

PS - still loving this TV almost a year after purchase!
post #17779 of 18997 Old 11-06-2018, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
What would be useful is if they actually SAID what it was that was fixed with an update, but it seems to be some kind of national secret.

Denon/Marantz are exactly the same. LG is very slightly more forthcoming, but still has a bullet point for "general and stability fixes".
thanks guys. glad my gut reaction to disable autoupdate when it threatened to update in 15 minutes was a sound choice.

yeah, i'm very happy with the TV as is, so it doesn't seem worth messing with.
post #17780 of 18997 Old 11-06-2018, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
So, I've been away for a while, happily enjoying my 65X900E, but a recent issue has come up so here I am. While I am 99% certain it is a Comcast issue, I wanted to post here to see if anyone else is experiencing anything like this. Here goes...

I have an X1 TV box (non-4K) that I have set up to power down when not in use (power saving setting). Up until a few weeks ago or so (I don't recall exactly when it started), everything was working just fine. Now, almost every time I turn my system on (using a Harmony One), I get no picture on the Cable TV input. It appears there is a signal reaching the TV as it is a black screen (no audio though) and not the gray "No Signal" screen one normally gets. When I unplug the HDMI cable from the back of the X1 box and plug it back in, the picture appears and all is fine. To troubleshoot, I have swapped HDMI cables (no change), tried a different HDMI port on the TV (no change), plugged my Blu-ray and 4K players into the HDMI port that the X1 box was on (they both work fine), and have done the restart and refresh of the X1 box.

So, like I said, I think I have ruled out the TV and the issue is with the X1 box. Before I call them though (and go through that headache), I was just curious if anyone has experienced/is experiencing this with their Comcast box and, if so, what the solution was (if any) to fix it.

Thanks!

Sounds like your Comcrap box got a firmware update and changed its power savings behavior to where it doesn't actually shut down the signaling on the HDMI connection. When you power on the TV, you're getting a black screen that's basically the result of a handshake problem.

I would go back through the settings on the Comcrap box and verify that it's set how you would like it to be, ensuring that it does a full power off of the connections when it enters the shutdown state and not just a "sleep" mode. If you can't attain that, just leave the box on. Has anyone actually tracked these boxes to see if they REALLY draw more power when "on" versus "off"? They're a purpose-built computer that's always on, and have a spinning drive. I don't know that the power consumption would be much different between on and off as a result.
post #17781 of 18997 Old 11-06-2018, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:

Thanks!

The fact that replugging the HDMI cable fixes the issue is a dead giveaway that this is an HDCP handshake failure as you force a renegotiation when you unplug the cable. It sounds like the X1 box isn't initiating a new HDCP session when it powers/wakes up. Might want to see if you can get a replacement.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony HT-NT5 sound bar with SR-5 rear speakers
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/'Sony PS-4

Last edited by Cheddarhead; 11-06-2018 at 07:47 PM.
post #17782 of 18997 Old 11-06-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
The fact that replugging the HDMI cable fixes the issue is a dead giveaway that this is an HDCP handshake failure as your force a renegotiation when you unplug the cable. It sounds like the X1 box isn't initiating a new HDCP session when it powers/wakes up. Might want to see if you can get a replacement.
I agree. It's a handshake issue.
post #17783 of 18997 Old 11-07-2018, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

Thanks!

I had a similar issue a while back and panicked because i thought there was something wrong with my inputs, turns out it was a bad Comcast box. If you have a Comcast store nearby just bring in the box and swap it out for a new one; no need to call. I've done this too many times in the past than i would've liked. Since then i've switched to Fios and so far it's way more reliable than Comcast.
post #17784 of 18997 Old 11-07-2018, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I got a 65" 900E. Now that its been out a while is there any links that will show me good baseline settings for this unit? Some that I have tried made it look dull.

Thanks in advance
post #17785 of 18997 Old 11-07-2018, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1679 Post(s)
Liked: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by himm View Post
I got a 65" 900E. Now that its been out a while is there any links that will show me good baseline settings for this unit? Some that I have tried made it look dull.

Thanks in advance
Rtings and CNET have them out there. Rtings is a bit darker than I like and kinda hard to follow. I would try CNET. There are some on YouTube but not Quantum Opothesis nut, he is a compete maniac. Please don't use his, your panel will be dead before prematurely with his settings.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #17786 of 18997 Old 11-07-2018, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Can you guys help me with this error message? It shows up randomly when I’m watching any kind of tv or roku and the error message is always related to showtime but I don’t have showtime installed. https://imgur.com/a/r46nyfi
post #17787 of 18997 Old 11-07-2018, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Thanks everyone!

@meburdick and @Cheddarhead - I agree that it sounds like a handshake issue. I could not determine if the Comcast box is doing a complete shutdown or not. I did notice that in the power saving preferences it only lets me pick "on" or "off" - I swear it used to let me choose how long before it shut down but I could be imagining that. I shut the power saving off and today it booted up just fine.

@Cheddarhead and @Venez68 - I thought about getting in touch with Comcast and having the box swapped but it is my DVR box and, if my understanding is correct, I would lose all my recordings. We are way behind on a few things so I can't really do that yet. Wish this stupid thing had cloud backup!
post #17788 of 18997 Old 11-07-2018, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone!

@meburdick and @Cheddarhead - I agree that it sounds like a handshake issue. I could not determine if the Comcast box is doing a complete shutdown or not. I did notice that in the power saving preferences it only lets me pick "on" or "off" - I swear it used to let me choose how long before it shut down but I could be imagining that. I shut the power saving off and today it booted up just fine.

@Cheddarhead and @Venez68 - I thought about getting in touch with Comcast and having the box swapped but it is my DVR box and, if my understanding is correct, I would lose all my recordings. We are way behind on a few things so I can't really do that yet. Wish this stupid thing had cloud backup!
See if you have any good options for HD Antenna based viewing. If you do, dump Comcrap for programming, move your home phone over to Google Voice, build a Plex/Emby/Kodi server and set up your own personal DVR with something like a HD Home Run or two (I have two devices and can tune 6 channels at any given time). Leverage ComSkip and you'll only ever watch programming content and you can access it from anywhere in the world. There's an up-front investment in a quality/power PC with a big hard drive, the antenna, the HDHR devices, and maybe buying the media software (Plex and Emby are one month's cable bill for a lifetime license). A year's worth of programming costs will cover your complete server setup and then you're saving money every year after that. If you're missing certain programming, it's cheap to get streaming services to fill in where the antenna can't provide.
post #17789 of 18997 Old 11-07-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jank77 View Post
Can you guys help me with this error message? It shows up randomly when I’m watching any kind of tv or roku and the error message is always related to showtime but I don’t have showtime installed. https://imgur.com/a/r46nyfi
OK that is the weirdest thing I have seen. So whether using the TV (apps or antenna) or a roku box this message pops up randomly? Umm, I would reset the TV to be honest. If it happens across inputs then it's something goofed with a background app on the TV.

I strongly suspect this is a goofed ad that you would normally see on your home screen. Also by default showtime app is installed on the TV. Deleting it may have caused something to mess up. This is just something I am tossing out as a possibility as to why.

I would bet good money resetting the TV will clear it.
post #17790 of 18997 Old 11-08-2018, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
thanks guys. glad my gut reaction to disable autoupdate when it threatened to update in 15 minutes was a sound choice.

yeah, i'm very happy with the TV as is, so it doesn't seem worth messing with.
I usually do the updates on all my devices when prompted and have been lucky so far.
My thoughts are if Sony pushes it out to me i do it. I think a lot of issue's come when people go searching and download the updates from other sources!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page