2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 596 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40332Likes

post #17851 of 18952 Old 11-23-2018, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Continue to be impressed with my 65 900e.
Mission Impossible Fallout looked absolutely fantastic. Especially the Imax shots. The motion, clarity, colors, hdr etc, all wow.
Doesn't hurt that the master calibrator D-Nice worked his magic but honestly I have no desire to upgrade anytime soon.
Besides, I'm saving my pennies for the new Benq 4k ht3550
Agreed - love my 900E. Just finished the new season of Daredevil and was very pleased with the HDR performance.
steve1971 and subacabra like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17852 of 18952 Old 11-24-2018, 12:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Continue to be impressed with my 65 900e.
Mission Impossible Fallout looked absolutely fantastic. Especially the Imax shots. The motion, clarity, colors, hdr etc, all wow.
Doesn't hurt that the master calibrator D-Nice worked his magic but honestly I have no desire to upgrade anytime soon.
Besides, I'm saving my pennies for the new Benq 4k ht3550
I just wanted to thank you for posting your settings earlier in the thread. When I switched to yours from the RTINGS and CNET settings I was using previously, the picture on the 900e looked *much* better. Now, well over a half-year later, I am still using them. D-Nice must do great work indeed.

As far as a good visual demo movie to show off the set and your settings, I highly recommend the recently released “Alpha.” While unfortunately only available on regular Blu-ray, a 4K/HDR streaming version is available via the VUDU. Not only is the movie great and tremendously underrated IMO, but on the 4K version, the detail and colors look absolutely incredible using your settings.
mattg3 and subacabra like this.

---Dave

My HT/Music System can be found here:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...iew&1301304581
post #17853 of 18952 Old 11-25-2018, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure if anyone here uses the X900E's stock "Video" app w/ Windows Media Sharing, but I noticed some strange behavior in the last week.

For a year, I've been using the Built-in Video app as a DLNA client for videos served from a Windows 10 machine (using the plain-old Windows Media Service built into windows). It has always worked well.

Suddenly, in the past few days, the Video app gives me a "please try again later" error when trying to view lists of files from the Windows server. It specifically occurs when a folder has more than 20 items in it.

A few things I've tried\noticed:
* If I organize my files into folders of less than 20 items, it seems to work fine. Again:
* It does not seem to be caused by any specific file or file name

* Other DLNA Clients, like my Sony Xperia phone, which has a very similar stock Videos app, continue to list files fine.
* Using the stock Video app with other media servers, like Plex, seems to generally work ok -- although other media servers have their own shortcomings.

I know that I can use other Media Servers and Android TV apps to accomplish nearly the same thing, but I had been enjoying the simple paring of the Sony stock Video app and the Windows stock Media Server, since they both required zero setup\management. Also, every other client\server pairing doesn't seem to work for 100% of the content that I have.

Anyone have a similar setup and run across this lately?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17854 of 18952 Old 11-25-2018, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_s View Post
I'm not sure if anyone here uses the X900E's stock "Video" app w/ Windows Media Sharing, but I noticed some strange behavior in the last week.

For a year, I've been using the Built-in Video app as a DLNA client for videos served from a Windows 10 machine (using the plain-old Windows Media Service built into windows). It has always worked well.

Suddenly, in the past few days, the Video app gives me a "please try again later" error when trying to view lists of files from the Windows server. It specifically occurs when a folder has more than 20 items in it.

A few things I've tried\noticed:
* If I organize my files into folders of less than 20 items, it seems to work fine. Again:
* It does not seem to be caused by any specific file or file name

* Other DLNA Clients, like my Sony Xperia phone, which has a very similar stock Videos app, continue to list files fine.
* Using the stock Video app with other media servers, like Plex, seems to generally work ok -- although other media servers have their own shortcomings.

I know that I can use other Media Servers and Android TV apps to accomplish nearly the same thing, but I had been enjoying the simple paring of the Sony stock Video app and the Windows stock Media Server, since they both required zero setup\management. Also, every other client\server pairing doesn't seem to work for 100% of the content that I have.

Anyone have a similar setup and run across this lately?
I am surprised it has worked as long as it has. Well it's not that bad, but a while ago I had a similar problem.. actually 2 problems crop up. One is not your issue but I will mention it anyway -the windows media sharing service would crash/stop every few days. This was solved by opening up services and restarting the service.

The issue that it could be is a corrupt windows media database. This can be fixed, and I did have to do this a year or so ago. These are the instructions:

- Type or copy/paste this path into the text box: %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player and hit the [Enter key].

- Delete all the files in this folder -- excluding folders.
**To rebuild the database, simply restart Windows Media Player. All the relevant database files will now be created again.

Windows 10 DLNA usually works well, but when it gets wonky it can get messy. You can also try turning of DLNA sharing, and restarting the service (it's under advanced sharing in the network and sharing center). There is a relationship between Windows Media Player and DLNA, which is why rebuilding the library might fix things. I remember it took me a while to get things working again.
post #17855 of 18952 Old 11-26-2018, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drseid View Post
I just wanted to thank you for posting your settings earlier in the thread. When I switched to yours from the RTINGS and CNET settings I was using previously, the picture on the 900e looked *much* better. Now, well over a half-year later, I am still using them. D-Nice must do great work indeed.

As far as a good visual demo movie to show off the set and your settings, I highly recommend the recently released “Alpha.” While unfortunately only available on regular Blu-ray, a 4K/HDR streaming version is available via the VUDU. Not only is the movie great and tremendously underrated IMO, but on the 4K version, the detail and colors look absolutely incredible using your settings.
I'm tempted now to try something other than the rtings settings. Can you link me to the settings mentioned? Thanks.
post #17856 of 18952 Old 11-26-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif9t9 View Post
I'm tempted now to try something other than the rtings settings. Can you link me to the settings mentioned? Thanks.
. Here you go...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post54597722

---Dave

post #17857 of 18952 Old 11-26-2018, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drseid View Post
Awesome, thanks. I see there's a Cinema Pro, Custom and Cinema Pro HDR. What is Cinema Pro HDR (not near my tv now, but I don't think that's a preset). And which picture mode are you using for 4k movies? Which for Netflix HDR? I unfortunately have a Shield for both Plex and Netflix, which means it's hard to switch Picture settings for the one device. Thanks.
post #17858 of 18952 Old 11-26-2018, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
Agreed - love my 900E. Just finished the new season of Daredevil and was very pleased with the HDR performance.

I agree. My x900e only got better after the latest update. Color's and overall PQ is just oustanding. I know I am not upgrading anytime soon and when I do it will be a projection system.
post #17859 of 18952 Old 11-26-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asif9t9 View Post
Awesome, thanks. I see there's a Cinema Pro, Custom and Cinema Pro HDR. What is Cinema Pro HDR (not near my tv now, but I don't think that's a preset). And which picture mode are you using for 4k movies? Which for Netflix HDR? I unfortunately have a Shield for both Plex and Netflix, which means it's hard to switch Picture settings for the one device. Thanks.
I believe that just refers to using the adjusted Cinema Pro setting as the video setting choice for HDR as well (though I believe it has one slight tweak that is different than the non HDR setting using Cinema Pro).

I personally use the same adjusted Cinema Pro settings for HDR and non HDR material (aside from the system automatically changing some options when it detects HDR automatically). Without the settings or my TV set in front of me, I forget the subtle difference, but as I recall, it is the difference between manually changing one of the tweaked settings to 49 from 50, or vice-versa. For me, the difference is barely noticeable between the two, so I just use the non-HDR setting for both instead of manually changing it back and forth every time HDR is used..

---Dave

post #17860 of 18952 Old 11-26-2018, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic dog View Post
I am surprised it has worked as long as it has. Well it's not that bad, but a while ago I had a similar problem.. actually 2 problems crop up. One is not your issue but I will mention it anyway -the windows media sharing service would crash/stop every few days. This was solved by opening up services and restarting the service.

The issue that it could be is a corrupt windows media database. This can be fixed, and I did have to do this a year or so ago. These are the instructions:

- Type or copy/paste this path into the text box: %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player and hit the [Enter key].

- Delete all the files in this folder -- excluding folders.
**To rebuild the database, simply restart Windows Media Player. All the relevant database files will now be created again.

Windows 10 DLNA usually works well, but when it gets wonky it can get messy. You can also try turning of DLNA sharing, and restarting the service (it's under advanced sharing in the network and sharing center). There is a relationship between Windows Media Player and DLNA, which is why rebuilding the library might fix things. I remember it took me a while to get things working again.

I appreciate your response. I tried what you suggested, and it didn't seem to resolve my particular issue, although I do remember needing to do this in past to solve other problems. In the meantime, I'm using Plex as a server, and both the Sony's Video app and Kodi to play different types of files on the X900E. Maybe I'll give WMP another chance after the next round of Windows Updates.
post #17861 of 18952 Old 11-27-2018, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_s View Post
I appreciate your response. I tried what you suggested, and it didn't seem to resolve my particular issue, although I do remember needing to do this in past to solve other problems. In the meantime, I'm using Plex as a server, and both the Sony's Video app and Kodi to play different types of files on the X900E. Maybe I'll give WMP another chance after the next round of Windows Updates.
DLNA never really made the "splash" that it was supposed to, and I suspect that it's because it was trying to make inroads at a time when Plex, Emby, XBMC, Kodi, etc. were doing things DLNA could only dream of. DLNA is intended to be 'easy', but not feature rich. So, anything more than a few media files on your average home network and you're going to start seeing some issues.

Different DLNA servers have different "tolerances" as do the different clients. If you're running a Plex server, just use the Plex app (better yet, use Plex for Kodi as the Plex app has become pretty crappy). Why waste your time with DLNA if you have a client/server setup that can support rich content in the media, remembering where you are in your viewing, playlists, etc.?
post #17862 of 18952 Old 11-27-2018, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Ok, here are my professional calibration settings. Now of course all sets are unique and there are most likely some variations in panels but enjoy.
*color, sharpness, hue all default 50,50,0*

Cinema Pro

Brightness Menu

Brightness: 16

Contrast: 90

Gamma: -2

Black Level: 49

Black ADJ: Off

ACE: Off

Auto Local Dimming: Medium or High

XDR: Off

Color Menu

Color Temp: Expert 1

ADV Color Temp

R-Gain: -5

G-Gain: Max

B-Gain: -6

R-Bias: 0

G-Bias: 0

B-Bias: 0

Multi Point ADJ

Point 1

Point 2

Point 3

Point 4

Point 5

Point 6

Point 7

Point 8

Point 9

Point 10

Clariy Menu

Reality Creation: Off

Smooth Gradaion: Low

Motion Menu

Motionflow: True Cinema

CineMotion: Low

Custom

Brightness Menu

Brightness: 40

Gamma: -2

Black Level: 50

Auto Local Dimming: Medium or High

XDR: Off

Color Menu

Color Temp: Expert 2

ADV Color Temp

Multi Point ADJ

Point 1

Point 2

Point 3

Point 4

Point 5

Point 6

Point 7

Point 8

Point 9

Point 10

Clariy Menu

Motion Menu

Cinema Pro HDR

Brightness Menu

Brightness: Max

Gamma: 0

Black Level: 50

Auto Local Dimming: High

XDR: High

Color Menu

Color Temp: Expert 1

ADV Color Temp

Multi Point ADJ

Point 1

Point 2

Point 3

Point 4

Point 5

Point 6

Point 7

Point 8

Point 9

Point 10

Clariy Menu

Motion Menu

If I use all of yer settings (Cinema Pro) would any of them be applied to my current settings on Regular Mode and or the rest of the Modes?
post #17863 of 18952 Old 11-27-2018, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked: 4590
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post
If I use all of yer settings (Cinema Pro) would any of them be applied to my current settings on Regular Mode and or the rest of the Modes?
These are just for cinema pro and custom, so all your others(standard, game, vivid etc) would stay as they are.
HuskerHarley likes this.
post #17864 of 18952 Old 11-27-2018, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
These are just for cinema pro and custom, so all your others(standard, game, vivid etc) would stay as they are.
Hey for some reason I have the exact same settings.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
HuskerHarley, mattg3 and subacabra like this.
post #17865 of 18952 Old 11-27-2018, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Cool, I never messed with the Point Settings, I thought they would be applied across the board. I'll give yer settings a try...Thanks, Fer Posting.
subacabra likes this.
post #17866 of 18952 Old 11-27-2018, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Not sure if this was discussed already:

It appears that our 900e displays will be getting Android Oreo afterall.

I just purchased an Xbox One X and while setting up the inputs, I noticed an update TV Software Update Icon within the Featured Apps. In its description there are screen shots of the Oreo Interface. Let's hope overall performance is improved.

In the description it appears that VP9 profile 2 support will be added which means possible YouTube and Google Play Movies in HDR.
HuskerHarley likes this.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500

Last edited by groove93; 11-27-2018 at 10:56 AM.
post #17867 of 18952 Old 11-27-2018, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I saw the message too. Looks like Oreo before December! Nice holiday present from Sony

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
dlbsyst likes this.
post #17868 of 18952 Old 11-27-2018, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Any idea if the update is available yet? The TV software update app implies that you have to do a manual update to install it, but I haven't tried yet.
post #17869 of 18952 Old 11-27-2018, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdeethardt View Post
Any idea if the update is available yet? The TV software update app implies that you have to do a manual update to install it, but I haven't tried yet.
The message indicates that there will be rollout of the update at the end of the month. Your TV should indicate that you have a new update to install once the rollout reaches it.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #17870 of 18952 Old 11-27-2018, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just noticed that message today...

What had me concerned was YouTube and Netflix listed under the “features no longer supported” section... says, they will be removed from the content bar... please tell me I’m reading this wrong...
post #17871 of 18952 Old 11-27-2018, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
The 900e does support DD+ through ARC, DD+ will get you the compressed version of ATMOS that most streaming sites use.

I'm glad it does. I have a sound bar that doesn't decode lossless formats, but does support DD+ over HDMI. I'm forced to use the TV's ARC port for audio output because the sound bar doesn't do 4k passthrough and only has one HDMI input. I'm able to stream sources that have ATMOS through the TV, out the ARC port to the ARC input of the sound bar. The sound bar decodes it as compressed DD. I can also stream DTS-HD MA to be decoded as compressed DTS, but that only works because of the magic of the Nvidia Shield and Kodi.
post #17872 of 18952 Old 11-27-2018, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkifyoudontexist View Post

What had me concerned was YouTube and Netflix listed under the “features no longer supported” section... says, they will be removed from the content bar... please tell me I’m reading this wrong...
Read that bit too. They also talk about an Apps button maybe it will be hidden under that not sure. Good question though.
post #17873 of 18952 Old 11-27-2018, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knownasgyates11 View Post
Read that bit too. They also talk about an Apps button maybe it will be hidden under that not sure. Good question though.
Hope someone more in the know then I will chime in with solid info... and I hope you’re right and they are just being moved to a different section...
post #17874 of 18952 Old 11-27-2018, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Quote:

I'll have to look for that when I get home. What are the removed 'features'?
post #17875 of 18952 Old 11-27-2018, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:

I believe that means the application will no longer be a default item on the Sony Shelf app but it will still be available for you to download and install. My guess is some marketing deal expired so Sony is removing it as a default application.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony HT-NT5 sound bar with SR-5 rear speakers
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/'Sony PS-4
post #17876 of 18952 Old 11-27-2018, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:

The "Content bar" is launched using the "DISCOVER" button on the remote control.
post #17877 of 18952 Old 11-27-2018, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400MHz MAN View Post
The "Content bar" is launched using the "DISCOVER" button on the remote control.
Right. You have different content 'types' that you can enable. In the past, you have been able to directly access your Netflix setup and "continue watching" or "switch profiles" or similar. Similar with YouTube and Crackle. None of those appears to be available even with the build that I have, and I'm running the software released in September of this year.

The Videos option is available and does show that it will show you both USB and network-based content. After the update, you will have to directly launch the full Videos application to see network-based content. Similar with Netflix, YouTube, and Crackle in that you will have to launch the full app.

I'm all in favor of getting rid of the "Live Football Mode" from where it has been and making it a more general picture control. Up to this point, this has ONLY been available from HDMI-based inputs (and possibly from the built-in tuner). It has never been available to built-in apps of any kind, including those loaded from the Play store. And, for people like me, that leaves a gap for sports content that I watch using the HDHomeRun app accessing my OTA antenna-based content.

I -AM- concerned about applying this update right away because it states that A) you will NOT be able to roll back to a previous firmware version, B) you may need to update your loaded apps in order for them to work properly, and C) loaded apps may not have versions compatible with the new firmware. I will not be rolling this firmware version out when it's first available as a result.

Additionally, I would suggest that ANYONE applying this update make extensive notes about their setups, reset the TV to factory defaults, install the update, reset to defaults again, and then set the TV up all over again. The notes clearly state that they are moving settings around, and my experience with this sort of thing is that it will NOT be cleanly done. As a result, you very well may find yourself in a situation where things simply do not work as expected any more. Take the proactive step and reset, flash, and reset again before setting it back up the way you want it.

If you DO take that route, I would also suggest that you do NOT enable automatic software update. This is the portion of the setup that enables Sony to collect an absolutely stupid amount of data about your usage patterns and habits.
post #17878 of 18952 Old 11-27-2018, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Android TV menu is a complete overhall compared to what is currently installed on the TV. The rows, trays, whatever you want to call them are completely gone.

It will take some time for some users to get used to the new interfsce. I have an Nvidia Shield with the new interface and it took me about a week to get used to it.

I don't believe Netflix and the like will be removed from this TV. That's a major app and most certified Android TV devices have this app installed by default. Atmos support through Netflix would be a big one as well.

Considering that VP9 Profile 2 is coming, which means HDR for YouTube and Google Play Movies without the need to cast from a mobile device to the display, this gives me high hopes that a software implementation of the Spec would applied to the Shield, for the Shield is not capable of native HDR support for those two apps mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
I believe that means the application will no longer be a default item on the Sony Shelf app but it will still be available for you to download and install. My guess is some marketing deal expired so Sony is removing it as a default application.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #17879 of 18952 Old 11-27-2018, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 190
So the consensus is that the new update will not remove the app from Netflix, Youtube, Crackle, etc. It will just no longer allow you to access your videos in Netflix etc, from the content bar like you can do now. Even though Netflix is buggy, removing it would remove a big reason I use my Sony 900E. We use Netflix more than cable.

My main home theater has a JVC RS500U and an HTPC along with an Nvidia Shield that works extremely well with it. I get better colors using Madvr from the HTPC than I do from the Plex app that stubbornly won't support Madvr. I tried Kodi in the past and it seemed to take a huge amount of left turns to set it up correctly, and it wasn't intuitive to me at all. Plex layout is much simpler but has issues of it's own. Is Emby available on the Sony? I get such a better pic from madvr that I hate not taking advantage of it on the only TV that can display HDR in the way it's meant to be seen. I love my projector, but HDR is nothing but compromises on a projector costing under $20,000.

JVC RS500, Denon 7200WA, 7.2.4 Atmos/DTSX dedicated Theater. 133" Dalite 1.3 screen. M&K S150 + K7 ear level, 4 Tannoy DC overheads.
post #17880 of 18952 Old 11-28-2018, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs View Post
So the consensus is that the new update will not remove the app from Netflix, Youtube, Crackle, etc. It will just no longer allow you to access your videos in Netflix etc, from the content bar like you can do now. Even though Netflix is buggy, removing it would remove a big reason I use my Sony 900E. We use Netflix more than cable.

My main home theater has a JVC RS500U and an HTPC along with an Nvidia Shield that works extremely well with it. I get better colors using Madvr from the HTPC than I do from the Plex app that stubbornly won't support Madvr. I tried Kodi in the past and it seemed to take a huge amount of left turns to set it up correctly, and it wasn't intuitive to me at all. Plex layout is much simpler but has issues of it's own. Is Emby available on the Sony? I get such a better pic from madvr that I hate not taking advantage of it on the only TV that can display HDR in the way it's meant to be seen. I love my projector, but HDR is nothing but compromises on a projector costing under $20,000.
I wouldn't call it a consensus, I'd call it fact. The statement from Sony states: "These categories are removed from the Content Bar:"

It says NOTHING about removing the apps, and it clearly states that the focused area for removal of their functionality is the Content Bar. Assuming they are saying they are removing the apps is reading WAY too much into this.

Additionally, Sony doesn't control the Netflix app - it's available from the Play store as this is an Android TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page