2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 601 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40382Likes

post #18001 of 19197 Old 12-05-2018, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesscc View Post
No one else try to use Kodi (external HD) after the 8.00 update and have issue?
I am lucky my dim work but i can't even play any 4K HDR Remux at this point :s
Same issue here trying to play UHD videos from my external. I haven't tried playing them in Kodi yet, but so far VLC, MX Player Pro and the built-in video player all crap out. There's also no DD or DTS audio pass-through either. The streaming apps work fine though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18002 of 19197 Old 12-05-2018, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by munnarg View Post
Same issue here trying to play UHD videos from my external. I haven't tried playing them in Kodi yet, but so far VLC, MX Player Pro and the built-in video player all crap out. There's also no DD or DTS audio pass-through either. The streaming apps work fine though.

Do you mind to share which streaming apps you use?
You are right the build in video app with Sony TV will play some of the 4k HDR but no sound, VLC will play 1/10 with sound -.-
This is not good.

KEF Q750, Q650c, Kube 12B, Denon AVR-X3400H, Sony XBR75x900e, PS4 Pro
post #18003 of 19197 Old 12-05-2018, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Try Infuse. Plays 4K well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18004 of 19197 Old 12-05-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essoesspee View Post
Thank You.
Will give it a try tonight

post #18005 of 19197 Old 12-05-2018, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone who has already performed the recent update also use the "Plex" app available for Android TV?? If yes, any problems with Plex after you performed the update?? Thanks . . .
post #18006 of 19197 Old 12-05-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjanice View Post
Does anyone who has already performed the recent update also use the "Plex" app available for Android TV?? If yes, any problems with Plex after you performed the update?? Thanks . . .
I installed PLEX last night it won't even connect to the server ugh

post #18007 of 19197 Old 12-05-2018, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjanice View Post
Since Plex is terrible prior to an update, it's probably wise to look for "additional broken or degraded" areas. I have NOT upgraded, and I have frequent app crashes and restarts, in ability to communicate with the server, and general issues with streaming much of my transcoded content (and I honestly have no idea why) which is leading me to re-rip every single BluRay I own because Plex's client is so brain dead.
post #18008 of 19197 Old 12-05-2018, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So who is right here? Groove says it works and goes full bright and munnarg is saying it doesn't. I guess I'll just reset anyway to be certain.
Quote:
A reset won't fix it. It seems to be how they implemented it, because I have the same issue after resetting for a separate issue.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #18009 of 19197 Old 12-05-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Do you mind to share which streaming apps you use?
You are right the build in video app with Sony TV will play some of the 4k HDR but no sound, VLC will play 1/10 with sound -.-
This is not good.
Netflix and Prime Video work fine as far as playing UHD streams with multichannel audio. Playing files from an external is the issue I'm having. The first one or two play okay but then nothing but blank screens and the audio craps out. I have to do a forced reboot to get my audio back each time.

post #18010 of 19197 Old 12-05-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
The main issue is that even if the videos play, there only stereo audio and not DD, DD+ or DTS. I'll give this Infuse a try tonight and see what's up.

Edit... Is Infuse even available on Android?

Last edited by munnarg; 12-05-2018 at 12:10 PM.
post #18011 of 19197 Old 12-05-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
The main issue is that even if the videos play, there only stereo audio and not DD, DD+ or DTS. I'll give this Infuse a try tonight and see what's up.

Man I missed the old version where my Kodi works great for external HD direct connect to TV. It was the only app that play without judder.
Hopefully the Kodi 18.x will fix the issue

post #18012 of 19197 Old 12-05-2018, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

Quote:
I installed PLEX last night it won't even connect to the server ugh
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsantucci View Post
So who is right here? Groove says it works and goes full bright and munnarg is saying it doesn't. I guess I'll just reset anyway to be certain.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Quote:
Netflix and Prime Video work fine as far as playing UHD streams with multichannel audio. Playing files from an external is the issue I'm having. The first one or two play okay but then nothing but blank screens and the audio craps out. I have to do a forced reboot to get my audio back each time.

Quote:

Quote:
Man I missed the old version where my Kodi works great for external HD direct connect to TV. It was the only app that play without judder.
Hopefully the Kodi 18.x will fix the issue
Wow and ! So . . . it's looking like it'd be best not to update then? Is that the gist of the update consensus with the X900E ?
post #18013 of 19197 Old 12-05-2018, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Posted this yesterday but I think it got deleted.

Anyone have experience with the TV turning itself off and the only way to turn it back in is by plugging it out/replugging it from the ac adapter or wall (not the actual TV panel)? Happened once a week ago, twice yesterday, and now 5+ times today. Seems to be happening more when changing TV settings or using my One X in 4k/HDR, but I really can't identify a pattern.

I updated to the new software, did a Factory Data Reset, and also did a Forced Factory Reset - with no luck. Really out of ideas at this point.
post #18014 of 19197 Old 12-05-2018, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry, I realized a while ago that it is only available for the Apple TV, and not android.I use it so it slipped my mind when I recommended that, my apologies!
post #18015 of 19197 Old 12-05-2018, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinMod21 View Post
Wow and ! So . . . it's looking like it'd be best not to update then? Is that the gist of the update consensus with the X900E ?
I'm not. I'll wait until at least the first update to see if all the bugs are worked out. Nothing this update is bringing seems worth the effort to start a whole new round of troubleshooting.
TonyS, mattg3 and WinMod21 like this.
post #18016 of 19197 Old 12-05-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
I'm not. I'll wait until at least the first update to see if all the bugs are worked out. Nothing this update is bringing seems worth the effort to start a whole new round of troubleshooting.
Yes best to stay away from the update. Many people have the dim stuck problem, mine is ok the dim is fine but none of my video app now play 4K rip .. there you go my weekend movie marathon -.-

post #18017 of 19197 Old 12-06-2018, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does Netflix app support Atmos after the latest update?
post #18018 of 19197 Old 12-06-2018, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Guess Sony is taking their time with the update roll out. Both my TVs still haven't pulled it down automatically, and I did a check yesterday with both saying they are up to date. No hurry to mess with a USB update, but maybe they stopped it to look at the dimming issue?

Xbox: Deezul
Sony XBR-65X900E, Sony XBR-49X900E
Go Jackets!
post #18019 of 19197 Old 12-06-2018, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I think I’m in the same situation as above. My TV is set for auto-updates and says it is up to date, but none of the changes described in the update are present on my TV.

Question is, should I disable auto-updates because this one hasn’t happened yet and seems to be causing a lot of issues for people? What’s the improvement? Their menu changes are not enhancements to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #18020 of 19197 Old 12-06-2018, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
Guess Sony is taking their time with the update roll out. Both my TVs still haven't pulled it down automatically, and I did a check yesterday with both saying they are up to date. No hurry to mess with a USB update, but maybe they stopped it to look at the dimming issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gi02sl View Post
I think I’m in the same situation as above. My TV is set for auto-updates and says it is up to date, but none of the changes described in the update are present on my TV.

Question is, should I disable auto-updates because this one hasn’t happened yet and seems to be causing a lot of issues for people? What’s the improvement? Their menu changes are not enhancements to me.

It’s normal for the downloads to take a long time to automatically update with all the TVs. Mine is almost a month after I first see updates reported on this forum, and that’s consistent over an almost 2 year span.

The answer as to whether to update or not is simple. It depends on whether you want to deal with any of the problems you’ve been reading about. I do not. I’ll wait until the first update to Oreo.

You can manually install from Sony’s Support site at any time.
post #18021 of 19197 Old 12-06-2018, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 23
What is Oreo? I searched and see many references to it but couldn’t find out what it is.

post #18022 of 19197 Old 12-06-2018, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Can anyone confirm DD+ over ARC using Google Play Movies?

First off, my apologies in advance if this question has already been answered. I attempted find one within this thread but didn't (you'd think with 18,000+ posts, it would be in here, right?!?)

My query is as follows (TL;DR? See the title):

I've owned a 900E for about a year now, and it's a great unit. However, I'm disappointed that I can't use all of the streaming apps to watch movies with 5.1 sound. Of course, Netflix and Amazon offer DD 5.1 without a problem, whereas Youtube, Google Play Movies, and Hulu don't. As I've discovered in my research, part of the issue with these three is that the provider/app is the problem. Hulu is threatening to roll out 5.1 support, though I'm not holding my breath on that. Youtube (which concerns me less) only offers stereo. The biggest concern to me is Google Play Movies, which we use fairly often.

Again, my research has indicated that the content offered up via Google Play Movies provides a 5.1 experience via DD+. Unfortunately for me, my rig includes an older Sony preamp (TA-E9000ES) that only offers DD decoding, and I've got it connected via an optical link. So that's a double whammy: Optical links don't support anything beyond DD and dts 5.1, and the preamp can't handle anything beyond that anyway. What I was hoping for was that the 900E would re-encode (so to speak) the 5.1 DD+ down to 5.1 DD and then pump that out over the optical link, but that's not happening; I only get 2-channel audio for Google Play Movies.

The discussions I've seen on Google Play Movies and the DD+ content is that it's available via an HDMI ARC connection, though those discussions have not been specific to the 900E. That's a perfectly reasonable option for me to entertain (i.e., upgrade my preamp), but before I go and drop a significant chunk of change of a new unit, I'd like to know if anyone out there has their 900E connected to a receiver via HDMI ARC and can confirm proper operation with DD+?

If you can answer that question for me, that would be hugely appreciated! And if you wouldn't mind, in your answer please indicate what receiver you're using (I assume that any ARC-enabled receiver capable of decoding DD+ should work, but you never know).

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!
post #18023 of 19197 Old 12-06-2018, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Shlemon View Post
Posted this yesterday but I think it got deleted.

Anyone have experience with the TV turning itself off and the only way to turn it back in is by plugging it out/replugging it from the ac adapter or wall (not the actual TV panel)? Happened once a week ago, twice yesterday, and now 5+ times today. Seems to be happening more when changing TV settings or using my One X in 4k/HDR, but I really can't identify a pattern.

I updated to the new software, did a Factory Data Reset, and also did a Forced Factory Reset - with no luck. Really out of ideas at this point.
This was a fairly common problem when I first updated a couple of years ago. But it has not shut itself off in many months. However, I still have persistent intermittent problem where I have to unplug it to get it to turn on again. I'd say 2-3 times a year it still requires this.

5x a day suggests a bigger problem. You might want to do a factory reset. I don't believe that was normal for anyone, and it suggests a software problem.
post #18024 of 19197 Old 12-06-2018, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi02sl View Post
What is Oreo? I searched and see many references to it but couldn’t find out what it is.

Oreo is Android 8 OS. Sony runs Android TV OS v.8.0 now, or Oreo
gi02sl likes this.
post #18025 of 19197 Old 12-06-2018, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hopefully this is my last update. I received another call from Chad at Sony last night and was told that upper management approved my request for a new TV. I will be receiving an XBR75X900F. I won't be happy until it's unpacked in my house and operating fine, but I am pleased this is heading in the right direction. I hope no one else on here has to deal with the BS that is the recertified replacement lottery.
mattg3 likes this.
post #18026 of 19197 Old 12-06-2018, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
This was a fairly common problem when I first updated a couple of years ago. But it has not shut itself off in many months. However, I still have persistent intermittent problem where I have to unplug it to get it to turn on again. I'd say 2-3 times a year it still requires this.

5x a day suggests a bigger problem. You might want to do a factory reset. I don't believe that was normal for anyone, and it suggests a software problem.
Appreciate the response. No luck with the Factory Reset. Tried replacing the cable from the ac adapter to the wall (since it had to be replugged from the wall, maybe that's the issue?) and got a solid hour of PUBG on the One X until it shut off. After that, couldn't even get past the boot up screen without it shutting off. Guess it's time for Sony support, I am sure this will be a horrible process.
post #18027 of 19197 Old 12-06-2018, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruffino View Post
First off, my apologies in advance if this question has already been answered. I attempted find one within this thread but didn't (you'd think with 18,000+ posts, it would be in here, right?!?)

My query is as follows (TL;DR? See the title):

I've owned a 900E for about a year now, and it's a great unit. However, I'm disappointed that I can't use all of the streaming apps to watch movies with 5.1 sound. Of course, Netflix and Amazon offer DD 5.1 without a problem, whereas Youtube, Google Play Movies, and Hulu don't. As I've discovered in my research, part of the issue with these three is that the provider/app is the problem. Hulu is threatening to roll out 5.1 support, though I'm not holding my breath on that. Youtube (which concerns me less) only offers stereo. The biggest concern to me is Google Play Movies, which we use fairly often.

Again, my research has indicated that the content offered up via Google Play Movies provides a 5.1 experience via DD+. Unfortunately for me, my rig includes an older Sony preamp (TA-E9000ES) that only offers DD decoding, and I've got it connected via an optical link. So that's a double whammy: Optical links don't support anything beyond DD and dts 5.1, and the preamp can't handle anything beyond that anyway. What I was hoping for was that the 900E would re-encode (so to speak) the 5.1 DD+ down to 5.1 DD and then pump that out over the optical link, but that's not happening; I only get 2-channel audio for Google Play Movies.

The discussions I've seen on Google Play Movies and the DD+ content is that it's available via an HDMI ARC connection, though those discussions have not been specific to the 900E. That's a perfectly reasonable option for me to entertain (i.e., upgrade my preamp), but before I go and drop a significant chunk of change of a new unit, I'd like to know if anyone out there has their 900E connected to a receiver via HDMI ARC and can confirm proper operation with DD+?

If you can answer that question for me, that would be hugely appreciated! And if you wouldn't mind, in your answer please indicate what receiver you're using (I assume that any ARC-enabled receiver capable of decoding DD+ should work, but you never know).

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!
Hulu and YT are stereo only. Google play is DD+ on most movies. Not really used it for tv shows. No change after Oreo.
post #18028 of 19197 Old 12-06-2018, 10:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1gmouth View Post
One thing you'll lose is the ability to control the soundbar (on/off, volume, etc.) via the TV. I can actually access all of the various submenus on my ancient Sony soundbar right on the TV screen, which is much easier than doing it from the tiny LCD screen on the subwoofer.

I haven't done the update. In my experience, however, Google's HDR offerings (YouTube, Play Movies) do not automatically pump up the brightness like Netflix and Prime Video. You see a brief white flash before the video plays, and the HDR badge appears, but the picture settings do not change. However, if you go into video settings and manually toggle HDR to "off," you will see the colors do not display correctly. They appear dull and washed out.
It’s now works fine in Oreo. (Not max brightness but colors seem correct and not washed out)

Last edited by apw2607; 12-06-2018 at 10:18 PM.
post #18029 of 19197 Old 12-07-2018, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Hulu and YT are stereo only. Google play is DD+ on most movies. Not really used it for tv shows. No change after Oreo.
Thanks for the response, that helps to confirm Google Play Movies content supports DD+. Can you also confirm that you can stream Google Play Movies content using the app on your 900E and experience DD+ audio using the HDMI ARC connection? If so, what kind of receiver are you using?
post #18030 of 19197 Old 12-07-2018, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva8095 View Post
Just to add to my saga in case anyone is following, I received a call from "Chad" from Sony customer relations today after I uploaded photos of the replacement 75X900E that went t**ts up. What a surprise, they are trying to push another recertified unit on me. Even better, the reason they cited for why they have to offer me another refurbished unit vice a brand new TV is because they've determined from my photos that the problem is a result of...wait for it...SHIPPING DAMAGE!

Why their interpretation of the cause of damage has any bearing on the type of replacement they can offer an increasingly unhappy customer is beyond me. But you mean to tell me that despite the TV being packed in >3" of foam all around, arriving in an absolutely pristine shipping carton upon delivery, and exhibiting no signs of damage to the frame or bezels directly beneath the anomalous areas of the screen, it somehow sustained damage in two precise locations (in symmetry mind you) internal to the screen during shipping without any other collateral damage? Utter BS! The fact that they try and pass this off as a reasonable answer is insulting. I guarantee, this thing was a piece of crap before it left the factory and got shipped out with the hope that some dolt wouldn't notice the issue and would become the newest victim of the Sony recertified roulette.

I refused their offer and once again asked for my issue to be escalated. I will not stop until I'm offered either a brand new replacement or a full refund at this point. And the longer this goes on, the more Sony and their reputation have to lose.

The sad reality of this is the TV was purchased last year as a Christmas gift for my loving wife. It is now a year and $3,000 later, and here we are with nothing but a piece of junk to enjoy.
What's the big deal about refurbushed? I just bought one from secondipity. Works like new. Don't sweat the small stuff. Since when does a warranty guarantee a new replacement if the tv malfunctions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page