2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 602 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40398Likes

post #18031 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked: 1110
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchFlorida View Post
What's the big deal about refurbushed? I just bought one from secondipity. Works like new. Don't sweat the small stuff. Since when does a warranty guarantee a new replacement if the tv malfunctions?
My 900E was scratch and dent. If fact most stuff I buy is scratch and dent. Great way to save money and get a full warranty.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18032 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Do people care that the 900E doesn't support Dolby Vision, but this year's 900F does? Is Dolby Vision that important? I bought last year's model to save money, but some people said I should have paid more for the 900F.

Last edited by MitchFlorida; 12-07-2018 at 07:19 AM.
post #18033 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do people care that the 900E doesn't support Dolby Vision, but this year's 900F does? Is Dolby Vision that important? I bought last year's model to save money, but some people said I should have paid more for the 900F.
I could not possibly care less . HDR 10 is amazing so I'm good. If this was the 12 bit panels, 5,000 nit brightness era I would be worried about it.

TonyS, bradman and groove93 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18034 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruffino View Post
Thanks for the response, that helps to confirm Google Play Movies content supports DD+. Can you also confirm that you can stream Google Play Movies content using the app on your 900E and experience DD+ audio using the HDMI ARC connection? If so, what kind of receiver are you using?
Yes, the internal app. Through ARC back to a now very old by todays standards ... Denon AVR-4311
post #18035 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Do people mind that the 900E doesn't support Dolby Vision, but this year's 900F does? Is Dolby Vision that important? I bought last year's model to save money, but some people said I should have paid more for the 900F.
I too got a Secondipity 75x900e on Black Friday. The thought has occurred to me as well, but I am not sure we would notice a significant difference-- I am uncertain of the brightness being high enough to matter whether or not it has DV. Personally, I am not going to let it bother me. This is one of those things that is a psychology game in our heads, and how much we let it bother us is purely based on how we frame it internally. It's not like we don't have HDR 10.
post #18036 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Not at all. My Nvidia Shield doesn't support the format either.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #18037 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Why ask what we care about? What matters is what you care about. Only you can answer that question for yourself.
post #18038 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
Why ask what we care about? What matters is what you care about. Only you can answer that question for yourself.
I don't know what to think, that is why I am asking the experts like you. I guess you aren't an expert, so please just ignore the question.
post #18039 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know what to think, that is why I am asking the experts like you. I guess you aren't an expert, so please just ignore the question.
My point was that only YOU can decide what features are important to you. If you are concerned about whether or not your set has DV, do the research on it. Find out what potential value is has FOR YOU. Then, you can decide whether you'll regret not having it.
post #18040 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
My point was that only YOU can decide what features are important to you. If you are concerned about whether or not your set has DV, do the research on it. Find out what potential value is has FOR YOU. Then, you can decide whether you'll regret not having it.
Please read my previous reply.
post #18041 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Truce. Dolby Vision isn't really a big loss right now. In the future it may, but not right now. Even in the future I'm sure HDR 10 will adapt to higher brightness and 12 bit panels.

post #18042 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Truce. Dolby Vision isn't really a big loss right now. In the future it may, but not right now. Even in the future I'm sure HDR 10 will adapt to higher brightness and 12 bit panels.

Those reasons alone are why I'm waiting another 3 to 4 years to purchase a new TV. The new HDMI Specs, HDR Specs, HDCP Specs, these will not only affect the Display Technology, but AVRs and Media Players as well. Until there is some normalcy in the CE Realm regarding these ever-changing Hardware and Software Specs, it would be best for me to sit and wait until there's some idle time where I can make a confident purchase.

Back in 2015 I purchased an Nvidia Shield, my first 4K device. A year later, I purchased my Marantz Receiver, and in the summer of 2017 I purchased the 900e. In between those upgrades, I updated all of my HDMI Cables and Network Infrastructure. Updating to those three components mention was pretty seemless and I did not have to re-order or run out to get this part or that part.

Through the Years, the Nvidia Shield has been updated and gained features like HDR, Atmos, Lossless Audio, Plex Media Server Capabilities, and a bunch more under the hood.
The 900e just got the ability to stream HDR content via Youtube and Google Play Movies. Atmos via Vudu and Amazon Prime (ARC Lossy)
As of this fall, 2015 Marantz AVR owners now have the ability to passthrough Dolby Vision

So I will take the same approach in the up and coming years.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X

Last edited by groove93; 12-07-2018 at 09:45 AM.
post #18043 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
Those reasons alone are why I'm waiting another 3 to 4 years to purchase a new TV. The new HDMI Specs, HDR Specs, HDCP Specs, these will not only affect the Display Technology, but AVRs and Media Players as well. Until there is some normalcy in the CE Realm regarding these ever-changing Hardware and Software Specs, it would be best for me to sit and wait until there's some idle time where I can make a confident purchase.

Back in 2015 I purchased an Nvidia Shield, my first 4K device. A year later, I purchased my Marantz Receiver, and in the summer of 2017 I purchased the 900e. In between those upgrades, I updated all of my HDMI Cables and Network Infrastructure. Updating to those three components mention was pretty seemless and I did not have to re-order or run out to get this part or that part.

Yup I agree with all of that. Now I will say I might upgrade the TV portion before but only because I bought too small and want a bigger screen. 55 inch and I really need a 65-75 inch. That is the only reason though.

post #18044 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yup I agree with all of that. Now I will say I might upgrade the TV portion before but only because I bought too small and want a bigger screen. 55 inch and I really need a 65-75 inch. That is the only reason though.

Screen size for me as well. I plan to bump up from a 55 to at least a minimum of 65inch the next time.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #18045 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

I have a 65" 900E I'll sell. It doesn't have DV so I'm moving on to the 900F that does.

Xbox: Deezul
Sony XBR-65X900E, Sony XBR-49X900E
Go Jackets!
post #18046 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
I have a 65" 900E I'll sell. It doesn't have DV so I'm moving on to the 900F that does.
I guess you could sell it on Craigs List, it is too expensive to pack and ship, even assuming it arrives in good condition. I doubt if you will be happy with the resale price either. If you ask $1500, you might get $1000 from the CL crowd.
post #18047 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

While I completely agree with you, I feel that this is an example of what I was talking about. You and I both appear to have done what I had proposed - looked into / researched the technology, made some reasonable estimates as to how much (and when) this technology might be interesting to us, and decided that it was far enough out and of low enough concern to not be worth missing in this particular set.

Regardless of how well versed anyone in this thread or on this forum is about this technology, everyone has to make their own decision on the importance it carries.
post #18048 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post

Through the Years, the Nvidia Shield has been updated and gained features like HDR, Atmos, Lossless Audio, Plex Media Server Capabilities, and a bunch more under the hood.
The 900e just got the ability to stream HDR content via Youtube and Google Play Movies. Atmos via Vudu and Amazon Prime (ARC Lossy)
As of this fall, 2015 Marantz AVR owners now have the ability to passthrough Dolby Vision

My immediate reaction to this is sort of a "good luck with that" one. I'd love to see what you're describing, but it seems that the two are always going to be at adds. Technology is ever-changing by nature. And, in the consumer realm, nothing new equals no sales. With that in mind, I think the best you might be able to hope for is that your requirements hit a plateau and the tech eventually all exceeds it. That way, your minimum requirements can be met everywhere. IF that eventually happens, then your described "hope" would be met and that would be great for you.

On the other hand, if you're like mostly everyone, you'll never fully stop appreciating at least one or two things that are new and that cycle might never reach a settled point like you describe for you. In some ways, it can work out better to actually lower your requirements just a little bit, but something much cheaper, and then upgrade every 3-5 years. You're never on the cutting edge, but what you do have is cost-effective and works well.

I agree that it's a vicious cycle that you have to decide whether you want to be "all in" on the cutting edge and be willing to pay for it, or lag a bit behind and "pay" by not having the cutting edge.
post #18049 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My immediate reaction to this is sort of a "good luck with that" one. I'd love to see what you're describing, but it seems that the two are always going to be at adds. Technology is ever-changing by nature. And, in the consumer realm, nothing new equals no sales. With that in mind, I think the best you might be able to hope for is that your requirements hit a plateau and the tech eventually all exceeds it. That way, your minimum requirements can be met everywhere. IF that eventually happens, then your described "hope" would be met and that would be great for you.

On the other hand, if you're like mostly everyone, you'll never fully stop appreciating at least one or two things that are new and that cycle might never reach a settled point like you describe for you. In some ways, it can work out better to actually lower your requirements just a little bit, but something much cheaper, and then upgrade every 3-5 years. You're never on the cutting edge, but what you do have is cost-effective and works well.

I agree that it's a vicious cycle that you have to decide whether you want to be "all in" on the cutting edge and be willing to pay for it, or lag a bit behind and "pay" by not having the cutting edge.
No doubt that the technology is very progressive, but at the same time, with the hardware that I currently own, I've yet had the need to upgrade any of it. As described in my initial post, my Shield, Marantz AVR, and TV have been updated with new features. So the need to get the latest and greatest is not a priority.

I recently just added an Xbox One X to my system, and while the hardware is powerful, the software side (from a media streamer perspective) is lacking, especially when you compare it to the Nvidia Shield. Again, from a Media Streamer perspective, the Shield runs laps around the XB1X in its current state. I'm not sure if Microsoft will allow for Lossless Audio through Local Media Streaming, such as the case with the Apple TV 4K, but I could not believe how the Xbox struggled to play my local content. My Shield and Oppo 203 play my 1:1 rips with ease, and no transcoding whatsoever.

With that said, I see a lot of Potential with the Xbox One in the coming years. I truly hope that the device gets the support the Shield does.

A three year old device with 20 updates and more to come, that's what I get with the Nvidia Shield (from 2015).
A TV with now HDR Support for Youtube and Google Play Movies, and Atmos support via Vudu and Amazon Prime, that's what I get with the 900e (from 2017).
Dolby Vision and HLG passthrough support, that's what I get with the Marantz SR7010 AVR (from 2015).

These are not brand spanking new products. They have some years on them, yet they all are still being supported in some form or fashion.

Now that I know that media companies can simply "flip a switch", as the case with Amazon Prime which enabled Dolby Atmos for their Jack Ryan series, later pull this ability, then flip the switch back on, or a software update such as VP9 Profile 2, which enables Youtube HDR, where many of us thought it was a hardware limitation, Dolby Vision support for a 2015 AVR line, and what appears to be "software limitations" on the Xbox One X, probably due to licensing, or other factors, I know now that some sought out features can be accomplished without the need to update the hardware.

However, when it comes to the newer HDMI, and HDCP specs, I know this has to be hardware specific, and therefore, the need to upgrade will be inevitable for some of us to maintain a solid "chain".

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #18050 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
I do wish it had Dolby Vision, and if I were buying now, I'd probably get a 900F, which is only $100-$200 more than I paid for the 900E. However, the difference is mostly academic since I use a Roku Ultra, which only supports HDR10 at the moment.

PS: How big of a savings are we talking about? For the right price, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on the 900E again.

Last edited by B1gmouth; 12-07-2018 at 10:56 AM.
post #18051 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Do I care about DV? Nope, not at all. 90% of my viewing is sports, mainly streaming. DV doesn't enter into the picture at all.

Plus my 4K player is the x800, no DV there and HDR10 works well.

I'm happy with the 75x900e that I bought when they were transitioning to the 900f last spring. The military exchange gave me a real nice price with no tax or delivery charges.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #18052 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1gmouth View Post
I do wish it had Dolby Vision, and if I were buying now, I'd probably get a 900F, which is only $100-$200 more than I paid for the 900E. However, the difference is mostly academic since I use a Roku Ultra, which only supports HDR10 at the moment.

PS: How big of a savings are we talking about? For the right price, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on the 900E again.
I decided I needed a new TV after 15 years with a Sharp Aquous. Had settled on the 900F but then the local BestBuy had a 900E on clearence $400 less than the 900F. This is such a glorious upgrade, I’m too dazed to appreciate any improvement DV would give me. But 15 years from now........
groove93 likes this.

Sony 900E, Marantz SR5011, Oppo 105 universal, Sony 800m2, Statement Monitors, Zaph ZA5 Center, Comody Speedsters surrounds.
post #18053 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Yes, the internal app. Through ARC back to a now very old by todays standards ... Denon AVR-4311
Thank you for the follow up. It's very much appreciated!
post #18054 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollypoint View Post
I decided I needed a new TV after 15 years with a Sharp Aquous. Had settled on the 900F but then the local BestBuy had a 900E on clearence $400 less than the 900F. This is such a glorious upgrade, I’m too dazed to appreciate any improvement DV would give me. But 15 years from now........
I upgraded from a 10 year old Sony. For me, the obvious upgrade in picture quality and tech made the DV feature not a major requirement.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #18055 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 12:30 PM

Five years from now, I will insist on Dolby Vision. Until then, the 900E will be fine for me.

Assuming Dolby Vision is around in five years and isn't the next 3D "must-have" feature.

Last edited by MitchFlorida; 12-07-2018 at 03:04 PM.
post #18056 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 44
for me, in February, it was a no brainer: $1499 for the 900f vs $800 for the 900e. DV would have been nice, but my 900e was a great deal and i really don't miss the DV. (i've done side by side comparisons and see the differences if looking for them, but after calibrating my set initially, i've adopted a "forget about it" and enjoy it strategy. so far it's working. i'll spend that extra $700 a few years down the road when i look for another TV.
post #18057 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
I have the 930e and DV is better but it’s not trade your TV better. The advantages are subtle and really depends on the content.

My 4K player is Xbox One S so my 4K HDR movies play back as HDR10. They still look very good. Do I want DV player? No, unless they can make it 100 times better than the X.700 for not much more in price.

Couple of years from now maybe DV will be the main stream. Worry about that in the future.
MitchFlorida likes this.
post #18058 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Here’s a new issue with Oreo on the 900E and internal youtubeTv app. Frame dropping. It’s horrible. App can’t keep a steady 1080p60 or 720p60 stream without dropping frames. Pretty ironic given it’s a google app.
post #18059 of 19275 Old 12-07-2018, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Glad I came here to read a bit. I haven’t been keeping up. Since I don’t use any of the tv apps I guess I’ll take a pass on this upgrade since it doesn’t seem to bring anything to the table that I’d use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
mattg3 and Hetfieldjames like this.

Lloyd
post #18060 of 19275 Old 12-08-2018, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollypoint View Post
It would be a close call for me at that price difference, but I'd probably opt for the 900E too.

Quote:
Assuming Dolby Vision is around in five years and isn't the next 3D "must-have" feature.
I feel you but I think Dolby Vision is here to stay. All of Netflix and Amazon's HDR content is Dolby Vision compatible. Most new TVs support it. Plus the difference, while not profound, is noticeable. That's why filmmakers are so gung ho about the tech. It makes the HDR content we see on our TVs closer to what the creators intended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page