2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 604 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40380Likes

post #18091 of 19186 Old 12-13-2018, 05:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
My TV is in a relatively small room. My TV makes expansion noises all the time as the room/TV heats up and cools down. This has been going on for almost 2 years. The reality is, there's not much you can do about it, and it doesn't seem to harm the TV.

You've always been able to pair BT headphones?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ never worked for me in the past

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18092 of 19186 Old 12-13-2018, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyNTaX View Post

Weird. I’ve paired numerous BT devices since I’ve owned it over the last two years, including various pairs of earphones, speakers, and even BT receivers used for wired headphones.
post #18093 of 19186 Old 12-13-2018, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
My TV is in a relatively small room. My TV makes expansion noises all the time as the room/TV heats up and cools down. This has been going on for almost 2 years. The reality is, there's not much you can do about it, and it doesn't seem to harm the TV.

ah thank you that made me feel better!
Those sound were kinda annoying at start but I am some what used to it, just want to see if anyone else having the same issue/concern

KEF Q750, Q650c, Kube 12B, Denon AVR-X3400H, Sony XBR75x900e, PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18094 of 19186 Old 12-13-2018, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjanice View Post
Is anyone else having problems with Plex available from the Play Store and the newest update to Oreo on their 900E?? Is it possible that the problem that Endlesscc experienced was unique to his setup or is the Oreo update simply incompatible with Plex?

Plex is GARBAGE on the client side. Over the course of the last 9-12 months, ALL clients have continuously gotten worse and worse with removed features, crippled functionality, and complete instability (especially in the case of the Android TV client). What's worse is that the Plex team doesn't give a rat's a** about hearing your problem or doing anything about it. If you're totally committed to Plex, load Kodi, then load Plex for Kodi into Kodi, then configure Kodi to autostart Plex for Kodi. It's a kludgy workaround, but client stability is about 1000x better.

Your alternative is to move to Emby (which is my likely move) or to Kodi for a complete solution with TVHeadend for DVR. It's all zero cost, but you have more work to do as the admin to set it all up and you'll likely end up needing to donate to the ComSkip project so that you have an easy way to strip commercials from your DVR recordings.

Quote:
Bluetooth headphones are able to be paired now
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Weird. I’ve paired numerous BT devices since I’ve owned it over the last two years, including various pairs of earphones, speakers, and even BT receivers used for wired headphones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesscc View Post
ah thank you that made me feel better!
Those sound were kinda annoying at start but I am some what used to it, just want to see if anyone else having the same issue/concern
I have a pair of Sony WX-1000 BT headphones that I was not able to pair with the TV back in the April-ish timeframe of this year. Some time later in the year (late summer?), I -was- able to pair them. While they should have been able to be paired all along, I do believe that different updates have enabled or fixed certain specific things with the BT profiles and protocol versions so that some devices that might not have worked at one point do work after that particular update.

Keep in mind that when you pair BT devices, they both have to support the same protocol version(s) and have common profile items supported that are to be used via that protocol. AND, Sony has to have written the software properly and not broken something with a bug.
post #18095 of 19186 Old 12-13-2018, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

I've paired a BT keyboard because I use a harmony remote and I can type faster than talking to the remote could figure out what I say. Haven't tried a mouse yet.

Xbox: Deezul
Sony XBR-65X900E, Sony XBR-49X900E
Go Jackets!
post #18096 of 19186 Old 12-13-2018, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by munnarg View Post
Do you mean Archos Player? I just tried it but I'm having the same issue where DTS audio makes it act up (no audio and plays twice as fast), but also there are grey bars instead of black on the widescreen videos. This is extremely frustrating.
Does it work with the default video player app? I'm still holding back on upgrading to Oreo to see if there are any issues and this definitely qualifies as one :P

I never manged to get audio to work properly using Kodi so I'm using X-plore file manager to access video files on my computer using SMB and then stream using the default video app. If that app cant handle DTS in Oreo I will definitely hold back on the update. Even though I really like the new interface.
post #18097 of 19186 Old 12-13-2018, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 117
2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk)

Just got home and pressed watch tv on the harmony remote. Everything turned on except my 900e. I have everything running thru my marantz 7010. Sound from the cable is coming thru the avr and speakers. Any idea why the tv won’t power on?

Edit: Never mind. Cleaning people knocked power cord out of the brick.

mattg3 and WinMod21 like this.

Last edited by tidwelr1; 12-13-2018 at 06:15 PM.
post #18098 of 19186 Old 12-14-2018, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 309
I recently bought a Sony A8F and have not been able to make optical connection work to play the Netflix app.I went back to my 900E where my optical connection always worked to check on how I had it setup and found it doesn't work on my 900E anymore. All I can think of is that perhaps my last firmware update(not the Oreo android app that I have not received yet) may have done something to optical out from tv to receiver. If anyone has optical out engaged could you see if it is working. Anyone have any idea what is going on here? Yes both of my sets are setup to have external speakers used.

Matt
post #18099 of 19186 Old 12-14-2018, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
I recently bought a Sony A8F and have not been able to make optical connection work to play the Netflix app.I went back to my 900E where my optical connection always worked to check on how I had it setup and found it doesn't work on my 900E anymore. All I can think of is that perhaps my last firmware update(not the Oreo android app that I have not received yet) may have done something to optical out from tv to receiver. If anyone has optical out engaged could you see if it is working. Anyone have any idea what is going on here? Yes both of my sets are setup to have external speakers used.
We're running Optical Digital Audio Out on both our tv's and haven't ever had any interruptions or malfunctions or issues of any kind on our 930E, but have occasionally had no sound at our 900E after switching from apps (either Prime Video or YouTube, don't recall which), back to TV.
It rarely happens but when it does, turning the tv off and back on has always remedied it. It's kinda spooky, and maddening all at the same time!
Sounds to me like it could be your Netflix app, and less likely the cable, but you should try another cable just in case. I don't know why .....accessing the apps can occasionally cause that, but would like to know why.
mattg3 likes this.
post #18100 of 19186 Old 12-14-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwelr1 View Post
Just got home and pressed watch tv on the harmony remote. Everything turned on except my 900e. I have everything running thru my marantz 7010. Sound from the cable is coming thru the avr and speakers. Any idea why the tv won’t power on?

Edit: Never mind. Cleaning people knocked power cord out of the brick.
Perhaps a little bit of that highly precious thing called "the handyman's secret weapon, Duct Tape"... is in order?

Remember, "If it ain't broke, you're not trying."
post #18101 of 19186 Old 12-14-2018, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinMod21 View Post
We're running Optical Digital Audio Out on both our tv's and haven't ever had any interruptions or malfunctions or issues of any kind on our 930E, but have occasionally had no sound at our 900E after switching from apps (either Prime Video or YouTube, don't recall which), back to TV.
It rarely happens but when it does, turning the tv off and back on has always remedied it. It's kinda spooky, and maddening all at the same time!
Sounds to me like it could be your Netflix app, and less likely the cable, but you should try another cable just in case. I don't know why .....accessing the apps can occasionally cause that, but would like to know why.
Thanks,yes its driving me crazy since Im dealing with two optical cables on two sony tvs and two Yamaha receivers and optical out doesn't work on either set.I unplugged the 900E to restart it and still nothing. My A8F its never worked on since its only a few weeks old.Perhaps its the Netflix apps on both tvs but I don't see anywhere I can adjust audio settings on Netflix

Matt
post #18102 of 19186 Old 12-14-2018, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Thanks,yes its driving me crazy since Im dealing with two optical cables on two sony tvs and two Yamaha receivers and optical out doesn't work on either set.I unplugged the 900E to restart it and still nothing. My A8F its never worked on since its only a few weeks old.Perhaps its the Netflix apps on both tvs but I don't see anywhere I can adjust audio settings on Netflix
There is a setting on the TV to set DD+ output to be DD+ or Dolby Digital. Often the AVR wont take DD+ on the optical. Check that setting and see if it helps.
post #18103 of 19186 Old 12-14-2018, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm817 View Post
There is a setting on the TV to set DD+ output to be DD+ or Dolby Digital. Often the AVR wont take DD+ on the optical. Check that setting and see if it helps.
Is this the A8F or the sony 900E and could you tell me where I could find it on the tv. Thanks

Matt
post #18104 of 19186 Old 12-14-2018, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is this the A8F or the sony 900E and could you tell me where I could find it on the tv. Thanks
I dont have either. I have a Z9D but I think they all have it. Its in the advanced sound input related setting. Hopefully not lying to you!
mattg3 likes this.

Last edited by sjm817; 12-14-2018 at 07:06 PM.
post #18105 of 19186 Old 12-14-2018, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I dont have either. I have a Z9D but I think they all have it. Its the input related setting. Hopefully not lying to you!
Thought for sure this was it since it even says to change to dolby digital for optical out but it didn't work.. thanks again--Somehow I will figure this out

Matt
post #18106 of 19186 Old 12-14-2018, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thought for sure this was it since it even says to change to dolby digital for optical out but it didn't work.. thanks again--Somehow I will figure this out
Bummer. Maybe obvious but you have tried replacing optical cable and such? Maybe there is a problem with the AVR??
post #18107 of 19186 Old 12-15-2018, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi
I have tried to find out what the difference of the audio setting Digital audio output Auto1 and Auto2 is when having tv connected to receiver through hdmi?

But have not find more than what is stated in the menu.

Thanks in advance

Skickat från min SM-G960F via Tapatalk
mattg3 likes this.
post #18108 of 19186 Old 12-15-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Our Optical Audio Out works with either of those two settings under: Advanced settings > Input related > Dolby Digital Plus output > [Dolby Digital Plus] or [Dolby Digital]. And in truth I've never actually heard or detected any audio difference between the two settings; maybe I wasn't comparing or listening under the right conditions or source material or whatever, I don't know.
But I've been supposing those two settings only affect the DD audio quality, and not whether or not audio works or doesn't work —whilst running Optical Digital Out cables— when set to either setting.
mattg3 likes this.
post #18109 of 19186 Old 12-15-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krille3001 View Post
Hi I have tried to find out what the difference of the audio setting Digital audio output Auto1 and Auto2 is when having tv connected to receiver through hdmi? But have not find more than what is stated in the menu. Thanks in advance
Hi, are those outputs on the rear of your receiver, or two settings showing on your AVR display, or both? If so, someone here should be able to advise you, though from what I've read on these forums...it's easier for others to help you if you describe your connection condition(s) in more detail, e.g. what type of receiver; what are the source and destination connections — what is the Optical Digital Audio cable connected to and from?...etc.
mattg3 likes this.
post #18110 of 19186 Old 12-15-2018, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 373
HD Home Run App -AFTER- Oreo Update?

Does anyone use the HDHR app from Silicon Dust? Have you upgraded to Oreo? Do you NOT use WiFi?

Silicon Dust claims there is a bug in Sony's network code that prevents their app from working if you're using a wired connection with the WiFi radio turned off. Their "fix" is to turn on the WiFi radio and have no networks configured for it to connect to. While I can attest that this allows the HDHR app to operate properly, it breaks other applications (most notably Plex, which is its own piece of garbage as an application).

I'm wondering if anyone that has the Oreo Update and uses only a wired connection has the HDHR app and can comment on whether Sony has fixed their networking issue so that you don't need to have WiFi turned on.
post #18111 of 19186 Old 12-15-2018, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Our Optical Audio Out works with either of those two settings under: Advanced settings > Input related > Dolby Digital Plus output > [Dolby Digital Plus] or [Dolby Digital]. And in truth I've never actually heard or detected any audio difference between the two settings; maybe I wasn't comparing or listening under the right conditions or source material or whatever, I don't know.
But I've been supposing those two settings only affect the DD audio quality, and not whether or not audio works or doesn't work —whilst running Optical Digital Out cables— when set to either setting.
Its for compatibility. If your AVR supports both, you wont notice a difference. If the AVR doesnt support DD+, you may just get 2 ch or no audio at all.
mattg3 and WinMod21 like this.
post #18112 of 19186 Old 12-15-2018, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Im going to try the ARC connection. Im connected using input 3(ARC) but I cant figure out where to go to turn on the ARC option on the 900E. Im ready with my Yamaha receiver to use ARC but I cant find anything labelled ARC in the settings of the 900E to turn on.

Matt
post #18113 of 19186 Old 12-15-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Im going to try the ARC connection. Im connected using input 3(ARC) but I cant figure out where to go to turn on the ARC option on the 900E. Im ready with my Yamaha receiver to use ARC but I cant find anything labelled ARC in the settings of the 900E to turn on.
HDMI inputs 2 & 3 are the enhanced capable 4K HDMI signal format ports. To turn them on (to 'Enhanced format') go to Home button > Settings > External Inputs > HDMI signal format.
mattg3 likes this.
post #18114 of 19186 Old 12-15-2018, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi, are those outputs on the rear of your receiver, or two settings showing on your AVR display, or both? If so, someone here should be able to advise you, though from what I've read on these forums...it's easier for others to help you if you describe your connection condition(s) in more detail, e.g. what type of receiver; what are the source and destination connections — what is the Optical Digital Audio cable connected to and from?...etc.
Hi thanks for your answer. I refer to setting in TV sound setting. So basically the settings which you access through home button.

I can add that I have tv connected through hdmi to avr.

Skickat från min SM-G960F via Tapatalk
post #18115 of 19186 Old 12-15-2018, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
So what is the latest thought on the new update which I haven't done yet. Does it mess up the brightness settings and HDR or not?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #18116 of 19186 Old 12-15-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Hi I have tried to find out what the difference of the audio setting Digital audio output Auto1 and Auto2 is when having tv connected to receiver through hdmi? But have not find more than what is stated in the menu. Thanks in advance
Quote:
Hi thanks for your answer. I refer to setting in TV sound setting. So basically the settings which you access through home button. I can add that I have tv connected through hdmi to avr.
mattg3 & krille3001 — Did you guys ever figure it out? Saturday afternoon —while I was off-loading our utility trailer at the yard waste dump— I remembered that when I was emailing with the company we bought our speakers from, and informing them that we were planning on connecting via Optical to the new speakers, the tech/cust service guy I was emailing with said to be sure to set our tv settings to 'PCM', if we're connecting via Optical Digital Audio Out.
I found the 'PCM' setting at: Home button > Settings > Sound > Digital audio out [Optical out for audio signals from the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT]. . .where you then have three choices; 'Auto 1' or 'Auto 2' or 'PCM'. I set ours to 'PCM' and our external speakers worked perfect right away.
But if we then back out and scroll back up the 'Sound' settings to 'Audio to both TV speakers & other device', and toggle that on, both our tv speakers & external speakers work together at the same time. Although, here's where it gets kinda strange . . if we leave 'Audio to both TV speakers & other device' toggled off, but scroll up to 'Speakers' and choose 'TV speakers' (instead of 'Audio system'). . we still get audio from both our tv speakers & external speakers — together at the same time.

However doing so then grays-out the 'Digital audio out' setting (where you can select between 'Auto 1' or 'Auto 2' or 'PCM'). Although again, both the tv and external speakers keep working; maybe that's because 'PCM' has already been chosen? Not sure.

Hope some of that ^ might help with Optical Digital audio out, and the rest wasn't too confusing.

krille3001 — As for 'Auto 1' and 'Auto 2', you can see those settings are referring to 'compressed' audio, with 'Auto 2' referring to 'multi-channel' 'compressed' audio. Sorry, but I don't really understand why or under what circumstances one should choose either/or one of those settings. Wish I did. Maybe someone here could explain it to us both.

Last edited by WinMod21; 12-15-2018 at 08:01 PM.
post #18117 of 19186 Old 12-15-2018, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what to connect to the 4K 60fsp, port 4k Player or PS4 pro ?

Hi,
I want to connect my AV receiver through the ARC port of my Sony X900E. However that port is one of the only two ports supporting 4K 60fsp on that TV. (other port support max 30 fsp in 4k). So I'm wondering if I should connect my 4k reader or my PS4 pro to the only remaining port that would support 4k 60fsp.
Please advise.
Thanks
post #18118 of 19186 Old 12-16-2018, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtww View Post
Hi all,
The built-in Netflix app for our TVs does not support Dolby Atmos. (However, it IS supported for 2018 and newer Bravia models). For anyone else who is frustrated by the lack of Atmos support, maybe it would help to register feedback with Netflix. I just did, by calling their toll-free number, and the Netflix rep actually volunteered to register my feedback. I also asked why they don't support it and if there are any plans to support it, and got a shrug on both. Don't know if it will help, but can't hurt!

More information about supported devices and contact info here: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/64066
The way I see this, it is up to Sony to support Atmos in Netflix app.
MitchFlorida likes this.
post #18119 of 19186 Old 12-16-2018, 02:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
mattg3 & krille3001 — Did you guys ever figure it out? Saturday afternoon —while I was off-loading our utility trailer at the yard waste dump— I remembered that when I was emailing with the company we bought our speakers from, and informing them that we were planning on connecting via Optical to the new speakers, the tech/cust service guy I was emailing with said to be sure to set our tv settings to 'PCM', if we're connecting via Optical Digital Audio Out.
I found the 'PCM' setting at: Home button > Settings > Sound > Digital audio out [Optical out for audio signals from the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT]. . .where you then have three choices; 'Auto 1' or 'Auto 2' or 'PCM'. I set ours to 'PCM' and our external speakers worked perfect right away.
But if we then back out and scroll back up the 'Sound' settings to 'Audio to both TV speakers & other device', and toggle that on, both our tv speakers & external speakers work together at the same time. Although, here's where it gets kinda strange . . if we leave 'Audio to both TV speakers & other device' toggled off, but scroll up to 'Speakers' and choose 'TV speakers' (instead of 'Audio system'). . we still get audio from both our tv speakers & external speakers — together at the same time.

However doing so then grays-out the 'Digital audio out' setting (where you can select between 'Auto 1' or 'Auto 2' or 'PCM'). Although again, both the tv and external speakers keep working; maybe that's because 'PCM' has already been chosen? Not sure.

Hope some of that ^ might help with Optical Digital audio out, and the rest wasn't too confusing.

krille3001 — As for 'Auto 1' and 'Auto 2', you can see those settings are referring to 'compressed' audio, with 'Auto 2' referring to 'multi-channel' 'compressed' audio. Sorry, but I don't really understand why or under what circumstances one should choose either/or one of those settings. Wish I did. Maybe someone here could explain it to us both.
Thanks for your help. mine was user error with my two Receivers.One Yamaha labelled the digital audio as AUDIO 1 and the other receiver had it labelled AV1 so thinking one was the same as the other caused me to label them in the input wrong thus no Optical till I got it right. Everything works great now. Never thought getting old and this hobby would lead to so much confusion. By the way my digital audio out is now set to Auto 1 with no issues.
WinMod21 likes this.

Matt
post #18120 of 19186 Old 12-16-2018, 04:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1592 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
So what is the latest thought on the new update which I haven't done yet. Does it mess up the brightness settings and HDR or not?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I don't have an answer for you, as it hasn't come up as an option yet on my set.

Frankly, I'm surprised there's not more discussion about this, as it is a major upgrade, and if in fact it does speed up the OS, would address one of the major shortcomings I and others find in the set. There were a few initial reports of the dimness problem you refer to, but really very little else.

I don't know if it's because not many have received it, it has gone somewhat unnoticed because it doesn't really improve, or detract, in any significant way from the set's performance, or what.

So I also have the same question:

How many have received the update, and for those who have, what is the impact, positive or negative?

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page