2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 605 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40380Likes

post #18121 of 19186 Old 12-16-2018, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
So what is the latest thought on the new update which I haven't done yet. Does it mess up the brightness settings and HDR or not?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I made a post in the Nvidia Shield thread regarding updates, discoveries, and improvements to my display.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...postcount=8894

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
mattg3 likes this.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500

Last edited by groove93; 12-16-2018 at 07:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18122 of 19186 Old 12-16-2018, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
I don't have an answer for you, as it hasn't come up as an option yet on my set.

Frankly, I'm surprised there's not more discussion about this, as it is a major upgrade, and if in fact it does speed up the OS, would address one of the major shortcomings I and others find in the set. There were a few initial reports of the dimness problem you refer to, but really very little else.

I don't know if it's because not many have received it, it has gone somewhat unnoticed because it doesn't really improve, or detract, in any significant way from the set's performance, or what.

So I also have the same question:

How many have received the update, and for those who have, what is the impact, positive or negative?
My experience has been mostly negative because it broke a key feature for me, namely being able to watch 4k/ UHD movies from my external drive. Playback has been hit or miss (mainly miss) with tons of audio issues. I can't get a movie to play that has DTS audio, and if the others do play, they just randomly stop. This is with the built in video player. Kodi can't open the external drive anymore either. There are quite a few of us having this issue on Reddit but I need people to complain to Sony so a fix is implemented. I think the Mi boxes had a similar issue when they were updated to Oreo too, but they were quickly issued a fix.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
hunter_s likes this.
post #18123 of 19186 Old 12-16-2018, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Has anyone figured out how to program the Yellow, Blue, Red, Green buttons on the remote control, or make use of them in any way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18124 of 19186 Old 12-16-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchFlorida View Post
Has anyone figured out how to program the Yellow, Blue, Red, Green buttons on the remote control, or make use of them in any way?
The app Button Mapper used to work before the Oreo update, but apparently it doesn't anymore. I think others have said there are issues with the accessibility permissions.
post #18125 of 19186 Old 12-16-2018, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Good evening community,

Im a new member with a Sony xbr900e, with the recent oreo update. Ive been messing with this update for a couple weekes now, got most of the functionality that im looking for except a couple major issues for me. Im curious if others have experienced these issues and if there are resolutions to them.

1. The built in Video app previously worked flawlessly with playing UHD content from external devices, as well as sometimes over my wired network. This is not the case now, every movie ive played thru this app randomly freezes and have to do a full reboot to do anything with the tv.

2. DD5.1, DTS, and PCM used to work flawlessly thru the ARC to my Pre/Pro,. Since the update i cant get PCM thru ARC no matter what. DD5.1 and DTS work, but no PCM, from any source, external or apps thru ARC...

Has anybody else experienced this and is there a resolution?

Your thoughts are much appreciated.
post #18126 of 19186 Old 12-16-2018, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
So what is the latest thought on the new update which I haven't done yet. Does it mess up the brightness settings and HDR or not?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'll update as soon as it is pushed to my set. I haven't seen enough bad reports to spook me, and I don't play files or anything from external storage.
steve1971 likes this.

PSN BradCompany
post #18127 of 19186 Old 12-17-2018, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by munnarg View Post
My experience has been mostly negative because it broke a key feature for me, namely being able to watch 4k/ UHD movies from my external drive. Playback has been hit or miss (mainly miss) with tons of audio issues. I can't get a movie to play that has DTS audio, and if the others do play, they just randomly stop. This is with the built in video player. Kodi can't open the external drive anymore either. There are quite a few of us having this issue on Reddit but I need people to complain to Sony so a fix is implemented. I think the Mi boxes had a similar issue when they were updated to Oreo too, but they were quickly issued a fix.

This is why I always wait to update. Looks like I will sit on the sidelines for a while until this gets resolved.

Please post up if/when they fix this issue.
B1gmouth likes this.
post #18128 of 19186 Old 12-17-2018, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by munnarg View Post

I have moved on to Archos Video Player (plus the additional DTS app) and have decent luck with it.
Like you mention none of the other app work, MX player, VLC, TV app. Most of my UHD work now with Archos (used to not able to play DTS until the additional App is installed) . There is still occasional Grey bar for certain movie and I really miss Kodi. For now it will have to do it I guess.

KEF Q750, Q650c, Kube 12B, Denon AVR-X3400H, Sony XBR75x900e, PS4 Pro
post #18129 of 19186 Old 12-17-2018, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
I made a post in the Nvidia Shield thread regarding updates, discoveries, and improvements to my display.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...postcount=8894

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thanks, I need to fire up my Shield and double check the settings.
Right now it is the only way to play stream Dolby Atmos from rips for me.
post #18130 of 19186 Old 12-17-2018, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Problems with 900E and Logitech Harmony Hub

Is anyone else using this combination successfully? I have an XBR-49X900E that I'm trying to control using a Logitech Harmony Companion and Harmony Hub. This combo has given me no end of troubles. Sometimes the TV comes on very late, sometimes it comes on right away. Operational consistency is under 50%. Ugh. For reference, this is my second LHC... the other is paired with a Samsung KS800D and it is working fine.

Are there some tricks here anyone can share? It seems like this should work, but wow it's been one headache after another.

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
post #18131 of 19186 Old 12-17-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesscc View Post
I have moved on to Archos Video Player (plus the additional DTS app) and have decent luck with it.
Like you mention none of the other app work, MX player, VLC, TV app. Most of my UHD work now with Archos (used to not able to play DTS until the additional App is installed) . There is still occasional Grey bar for certain movie and I really miss Kodi. For now it will have to do it I guess.
What app is this?
post #18132 of 19186 Old 12-17-2018, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
Is anyone else using this combination successfully? I have an XBR-49X900E that I'm trying to control using a Logitech Harmony Companion and Harmony Hub. This combo has given me no end of troubles. Sometimes the TV comes on very late, sometimes it comes on right away. Operational consistency is under 50%. Ugh. For reference, this is my second LHC... the other is paired with a Samsung KS800D and it is working fine.

Are there some tricks here anyone can share? It seems like this should work, but wow it's been one headache after another.

My Harmony Hub works well with my 75x900e. Did you enable IP control? IP control is known to be a bit wonky, for example the long press FF and REW actions don't work with IP control. It also can cause unreliable behavior with turning on your TV.

You disable IP control by removing the 900e from your list of devices and then re-adding it. Unfortunately you will need to rebuild the activities that had the 900e in them.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #18133 of 19186 Old 12-18-2018, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 512
I talked with Sony yesterday about why my x900e hasnt received the new Oreo update yet and they said it's a slow roll out. The rep said I could update my set by down loading the update onto a thumb drive but I said I will wait until I get it through my tv. Alot of the reports about the new Oreo update is positive so when I comes I'll down load it even though I rarely ever use my tv's built in app's. But so far every update I have done on my x900e has caused no issues so no worries from me.
Deezul likes this.
post #18134 of 19186 Old 12-18-2018, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
I talked with Sony yesterday about why my x900e hasnt received the new Oreo update yet and they said it's a slow roll out. The rep said I could update my set by down loading the update onto a thumb drive but I said I will wait until I get it through my tv. Alot of the reports about the new Oreo update is positive so when I comes I'll down load it even though I rarely ever use my tv's built in app's. But so far every update I have done on my x900e has caused no issues so no worries from me.

With issues reported I’m waiting, as with you I do not use the in TV apps and don’t want to have to do a factory reset and lose my settings from the pro calibration and have to re-enter them across inputs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65X900E, Oppo UDP-203 Universal Player
Front L&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds & Rears - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Marantz SR6012
post #18135 of 19186 Old 12-18-2018, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 127
A Harmony remote question here . . .

Do the Harmony remotes have a function/button that replaces (or activates) the 'Home' button settings on recent Sony soundbar [e.g. HTNT5] remotes, as well as the 'Home' & 'Action Menu' buttons on Sony TV [X930E & X900E] remotes?

Considering . . .

Harmony 650/665 *[IR] [$40. @ BB & amaz]
Harmony 700 *[IR] [$50. @ BB]...(re-chargeable batteries; discontinued model).
Harmony Companion w/Hub *[IR] [$95. @ BB]
Harmony 950 *[IR] [$180. @ BB & amaz]
*IR will work fine for our component situations, as tv furniture console has clear glass doors, and no ob-stac-els elsewhere.

. .and wondering which might be best/good enough for components in sig below. Thanks very much for any & all opinions/advise!
post #18136 of 19186 Old 12-18-2018, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
My Harmony Hub works well with my 75x900e. Did you enable IP control? IP control is known to be a bit wonky, for example the long press FF and REW actions don't work with IP control. It also can cause unreliable behavior with turning on your TV.

You disable IP control by removing the 900e from your list of devices and then re-adding it. Unfortunately you will need to rebuild the activities that had the 900e in them.
It's good to hear that your 900e is working with the hub and I'm not pioneering anything. Or said differently, it's always helpful to know it should work.

I didn't enable IP control of anything. Took a peek at the settings and everything IP related appears to be "off" but I'll go back for a more thorough review.

My configuration includes:
- Sony XBR-49X900E TV
- Logitech Harmony Companion + Hub
- Anthem MRX 520 AVR
- Roku 3
- Sony BDP-S350 blu ray player

Did you take all of the default actions provided by Harmony? i.e. did you have to change any delay times or alter configs in some other way?

post #18137 of 19186 Old 12-18-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinMod21 View Post
A Harmony remote question here . . .

Do the Harmony remotes have a function/button that replaces (or activates) the 'Home' button settings on recent Sony soundbar [e.g. HTNT5] remotes, as well as the 'Home' & 'Action Menu' buttons on Sony TV [X930E & X900E] remotes?

Considering . . .

Harmony 950 *[IR] [$180. @ BB & amaz]
*IR will work fine for our component situations, as tv furniture console has clear glass doors, and no ob-stac-els elsewhere.

. .and wondering which might be best/good enough for components in sig below. Thanks very much for any & all opinions/advise!
The Harmony 650 has Action and Home buttons for 900e device setting. I don't own the Sony soundbar but I would imagine it can control that too.
WinMod21 likes this.
post #18138 of 19186 Old 12-18-2018, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's good to hear that your 900e is working with the hub and I'm not pioneering anything. Or said differently, it's always helpful to know it should work.

I didn't enable IP control of anything. Took a peek at the settings and everything IP related appears to be "off" but I'll go back for a more thorough review.

My configuration includes:
- Sony XBR-49X900E TV
- Logitech Harmony Companion + Hub
- Anthem MRX 520 AVR
- Roku 3
- Sony BDP-S350 blu ray player

Did you take all of the default actions provided by Harmony? i.e. did you have to change any delay times or alter configs in some other way?
I took all the defaults on delay times, you might need to mess with them to get the AVR working properly. When I initially added my Sony TV a Pop-up came up asking about enabling IP control, I activated it without even realizing it so it might still be an issue.

Logitech/Harmony recommends disabling CEC control when using the Hub but since that also disables ARC I chose to leave CEC/ARC activated, that causes me some minor issues with sequencing as CEC will turn on/off a device independent from the Hub.

I have configured it so my HTNT-5 controls volume instead of the TV, HDMI connected.

My Roku Premier+ and Sony S800 UHD Bluray work perfectly with the Harmony Remote and Hub.

I also have a separate Hub/Remote for the bedroom system that works well. Sony 52NX800/Roku3/Sony CT790 Soundbar/Sony BDP-6700 Bluray. Only issue is the bedroom is the NX800 doesn't always change to using the soundbar.

My biggest problem is that damn black remote can disappear too easily and I HATE using my phone as a remote.

Current system:
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4

Last edited by Cheddarhead; 12-18-2018 at 09:49 AM.
post #18139 of 19186 Old 12-18-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
The Harmony 650 has Action and Home buttons for 900e device setting. I don't own the Sony soundbar but I would imagine it can control that too.
Thanks for that, MitchFlorida ! Now to just decide on a model; there's several, and we weren't planning on getting a universal (i.e. don't want to go $250. for the Elite); also w/hub or w/o hub?; we have clear IR aim paths, and don't plan on Alexa etc.

Last edited by WinMod21; 12-18-2018 at 10:51 AM.
post #18140 of 19186 Old 12-18-2018, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I took all the defaults on delay times, you might need to mess with them to get the AVR working properly. When I initially added my Sony TV a Pop-up came up asking about enabling IP control, I activated it without even realizing it so it might still be an issue.

Logitech/Harmony recommends disabling CEC control when using the Hub but since that also disables ARC I chose to leave CEC/ARC activated, that causes me some minor issues with sequencing as CEC will turn on/off a device independent from the Hub.

I have configured it so my HTNT-5 controls volume instead of the TV, HDMI connected.

My Roku Premier+ and Sony S800 UHD Bluray work perfectly with the Harmony Remote and Hub.

I also have a separate Hub/Remote for the bedroom system that works well. Sony 52NX800/Roku3/Sony CT790 Soundbar/Sony BDP-6700 Bluray. Only issue is the bedroom is the NX800 doesn't always change to using the soundbar.

My biggest problem is that damn black remote can disappear too easily and I HATE using my phone as a remote.
Thanks for the tips and for sharing your experience. I'm going to delete my remote config and start from scratch again. While I don't think I missed that IP popup, it's hard to be certain. This time I'll watch for it. Thanks!

post #18141 of 19186 Old 12-18-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Cheddarhead, in hopes you don't mind glancing at our components listed in my signature and sharing your opinion, which Harmony would you think might be good enough for our situation? We probably don't/won't need hub, as we don't plan on using Alexa etc, and we have clear aim paths for IR. But thinking of purchasing today or tomorrow — due to sales & stock.

Considering . . .

Harmony 950 w/hub compatibility *[IR] [$180. @ BB & amaz]

Last edited by WinMod21; 12-18-2018 at 11:34 AM.
post #18142 of 19186 Old 12-18-2018, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Anyone having wifi issues after the Oreo update?
post #18143 of 19186 Old 12-18-2018, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvilla View Post
Anyone having wifi issues after the Oreo update?

Did the update about a week ago. Wi-fi has been rock solid.
post #18144 of 19186 Old 12-18-2018, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Cheddarhead, in hopes you don't mind glancing at our components listed in my signature and sharing your opinion, which Harmony would you think might be good enough for our situation? We probably don't/won't need hub, as we don't plan on using Alexa etc, and we have clear aim paths for IR. But thinking of purchasing today or tomorrow — due to sales & stock.

Considering . . .

Harmony 950 w/hub compatibility *[IR] [$180. @ BB & amaz]
XBR-55X930E w/Edifier S2000Pro | XBR-49X900E w/Sony HT-NT5 & SRS-ZR5's | Sony UBP-X800 | DTV HR54-500 | Wall Mount @ X900: Echogear EGLF2 Full Motion
While the 650 will probably work for your setup, I would go with the Companion w/Hub. The Hub is much more flexible and very programmable. The Hub is one of the few third party remotes that will directly control a Roku if you should get one. An additional advantage of the Hub is all Harmony remotes sometimes get "confused", with they Hub just hit the power button to power everything off and you should be good to go. Prior to my Hub, I had a 650 that the buttons wore out on, not from poor quality but from use/abuse, glad I chose the Hub to replace it.

My main Hub is used to control a setup similiar to your 900e, 75X900e/HT-NT-5 with ZR-5s and an X800, I also add in a Dish Hopper3 and Roku Premier+ all managed by my Companion w/Hub.

Several very good Logitech Harmony Threads on the AVS Remote area:https://www.avsforum.com/forum/93-remote-control-area/

FYI I also have an S2000 but mine is a Honda roadster. ;-) Zoom Zoom.
WinMod21 likes this.

Current system:
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4

Last edited by Cheddarhead; 12-18-2018 at 02:00 PM.
post #18145 of 19186 Old 12-18-2018, 03:58 PM

I plugged my USB drive with an MP4 video on it into my 900e TV. Nothing, not even recognized when I go to the Video App after pressing Home. I had to plug it into my Blue Ray player and display it on the 900e through the HDMI cable. It works fine that way.

Any theory why I can't play the movie directly from the 900E USB input, but have to use my Blue Ray Player instead? USB formatted FAT 32.

Last edited by MitchFlorida; 12-18-2018 at 04:04 PM.
post #18146 of 19186 Old 12-18-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I plugged my USB drive with an MP4 video on it into my 900e TV. Nothing, not even recognized when I go to the Video App after pressing Home. I had to plug it into my Blue Ray player and display it on the 900e through the HDMI cable. It works fine that way.

Any theory why I can't play the movie directly from the 900E USB input, but have to use my Blue Ray Player instead? USB formatted FAT 32.
It has been mentioned repeatedly. The Oreo update broke this feature somehow.

hunter_s likes this.
post #18147 of 19186 Old 12-18-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
While the 650 will probably work for your setup, I would go with the Companion w/Hub. The Hub is much more flexible and very programmable. The Hub is one of the few third party remotes that will directly control a Roku if you should get one. An additional advantage of the Hub is all Harmony remotes sometimes get "confused", with they Hub just hit the power button to power everything off and you should be good to go. Prior to my Hub, I had a 650 that the buttons wore out on, not from poor quality but from use/abuse, glad I chose the Hub to replace it.
My main Hub is used to control a setup similiar to your 900e, 75X900e/HT-NT-5 with ZR-5s and an X800, I also add in a Dish Hopper3 and Roku Premier+ all managed by my Companion w/Hub.
Several very good Logitech Harmony Threads on the AVS Remote area:https://www.avsforum.com/forum/93-remote-control-area/
FYI I also have an S2000 but mine is a Honda roadster. ;-) Zoom Zoom.
Thanks very much, Cheddarhead! That info and advise is of great help and greatly appreciated. Several options to think about. We were just gonna do the 650/665/700, but did notice the Companion w/hub while at BestBuy and asked about it, but I think the sales guy said something like it was primarily for use with a smartphone. However Madmax shared that he has a Companion w/hub as well and really likes it; also that he doesn't care to have a touchscreen. He didn't mention using his phone instead of the remote either, so the touchscreen-less remote must do most everything needed then? Thanks again for all your kind help & info!

Roadsters!... Those were the days!
post #18148 of 19186 Old 12-18-2018, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks very much, Cheddarhead! That info and advise is of great help and greatly appreciated. Several options to think about. We were just gonna do the 650/665/700, but did notice the Companion w/hub while at BestBuy and asked about it, but I think the sales guy said something like it was primarily for use with a smartphone. However Madmax shared that he has a Companion w/hub as well and really likes it; also that he doesn't care to have a touchscreen. He didn't mention using his phone instead of the remote either, so the touchscreen-less remote must do most everything needed then? Thanks again for all your kind help & info!

Roadsters!... Those were the days!

The Companion with Hub comes with a nice remote and also enables the use of your smartphone. I only use my phone when the remote goes missing or I need to control a device directly. The Harmony-way is programmed activities and it can be nearly impossible to control a device directly with the remote. If you haven't used a Harmony remote device it can cause a bit of confusion but you will get used to it. The phone app enables you to control a device directly.

Roadsters!...Today is the golden age of roadsters. Miata, BMW Z, Honda S2000, Porsche Boxster, Pontiac Solstice, Saturn Skye, Audi TT, Fiat 124 Spyder and of course the incomparable Jaguar F-type (rivals the E-type in my book).....

Current system:
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #18149 of 19186 Old 12-19-2018, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the tips and for sharing your experience. I'm going to delete my remote config and start from scratch again. While I don't think I missed that IP popup, it's hard to be certain. This time I'll watch for it. Thanks!
I deleted my Logitech Harmony Companion configuration and rebuilt it from scratch taking all of the defaults and watching for that IP popup, which never appeared. While it's a little early to declare victory and it requires more testing, things seem pretty good operationally. Activities for "watch TV", "watch blu ray", "watch Roku" all seem to work consistently, and that's covers most of how this system is used.

One activity remains a bit quirky: "Listen to FM". It uses the tuner in the AVR and displays info on the TV. Going from watching TV to FM works, but going back to watching TV fails to re-establish audio over ARC. Turning everything off and then triggering the "watch TV" activity fixes the issue so there's a work around. But why audio over ARC doesn't work when switching from FM to TV remains a mystery.

Any thoughts on how to tweak this?

post #18150 of 19186 Old 12-19-2018, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm getting frequent freezing when starting up the tv after updating to Oreo. I did reset to defaults, didn't help. The white light at the bottom will light up, but it will often freeze before the screen turns on. Sometimes it freezes with the Android color boot screen with the objects bouncing. ARC has not improved in turning my receiver on when the tv is shut off (Marantz sr7005), might coincide with the problem. The tv is always fine and boots first time every time when I unplug it from the wall after freezing. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page