2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 610 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40368Likes

post #18271 of 19051 Old 01-17-2019, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
Netflix has Dolby Digital Plus which cannot be decoded by an Optical Cable. It must be HDMI. So eliminating the optical cable and having audio and video via arc would be the solution.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
would that effect what is listed on lets say a tv/ movie on Netflix? for instance it will say 4k, hd, hdr, 5.1 next to the program. mine doesnt say 5.1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18272 of 19051 Old 01-17-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr6 View Post
would that effect what is listed on lets say a tv/ movie on Netflix? for instance it will say 4k, hd, hdr, 5.1 next to the program. mine doesnt say 5.1
I've never experienced missing "5.1" but I have experienced a title missing UltraHD and HDR when accessing Netflix on my Nvidia Shield. This was due to Display Resolution and Colorspace settings not configured properly. In your case, the app may detect that you have an optical cable as an option for audio. Have you tried to eliminate the Optical Cable, then strictly use HDMI for audio and video?

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #18273 of 19051 Old 01-17-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I've never experienced missing "5.1" but I have experienced a title missing UltraHD and HDR when accessing Netflix on my Nvidia Shield. This was due to Display Resolution and Colorspace settings not configured properly. In your case, the app may detect that you have an optical cable as an option for audio. Have you tried to eliminate the Optical Cable, then strictly use HDMI for audio and video?
no but i will check it out tonight.
appreciate it.
groove93 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18274 of 19051 Old 01-17-2019, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 23
When I stream Netflix with an optical cable to my Sony receiver, it shows it’s “Dolby Digital [5.1 (3/2.1]”. I don’t use ARC. I may by misunderstanding something above, just an FYI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #18275 of 19051 Old 01-18-2019, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi02sl View Post
When I stream Netflix with an optical cable to my Sony receiver, it shows it’s “Dolby Digital [5.1 (3/2.1]”. I don’t use ARC. I may by misunderstanding something above, just an FYI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Optical will output Dolby Digital, but not Dolby Digital Plus. "Plus" can only be achieved via HDMI.

It's been a while since I used the native Netflix App directly from the TV. On my Marantz Receiver, I have "ARC" enabled, and then I choose "TV Audio" which allows for Multi-Channel audio streams to work.

So there's a combination of TV and AVR/Sound Bar audio adjustments that are needed to achieve Dolby Digital and DD Plus.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #18276 of 19051 Old 01-19-2019, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Optical will output Dolby Digital, but not Dolby Digital Plus. "Plus" can only be achieved via HDMI.

It's been a while since I used the native Netflix App directly from the TV. On my Marantz Receiver, I have "ARC" enabled, and then I choose "TV Audio" which allows for Multi-Channel audio streams to work.

So there's a combination of TV and AVR/Sound Bar audio adjustments that are needed to achieve Dolby Digital and DD Plus.
DD was working on the native Netflix app on my TV until a few months ago, now I only get 2.1 sound. I assumed an update to the Netflix app caused it to stop working. It was fun while it lasted. 5.1 DD works on my TV because Amazon does DD just fine, and other apps. Not sure what happened to Netflix, but the app certainly does not work as it should.

Last edited by atomic dog; 01-19-2019 at 06:44 AM.
post #18277 of 19051 Old 01-19-2019, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Does anyone know how to prevent the remote from pairing via Bluetooth? I want to continue using the infrared but disable the microphone because it interferes with Bluetooth headphones connected to the TV.

I've tried disconnecting and unpairing but it always repairs and reconnects after a short time.
post #18278 of 19051 Old 01-19-2019, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic dog View Post

DD was working on the native Netflix app on my TV until a few months ago, now I only get 2.1 sound. I assumed an update to the Netflix app caused it to stop working. It was fun while it lasted. 5.1 DD works on my TV because Amazon does DD just fine, and other apps. Not sure what happened to Netflix, but the app certainly does not work as it should.
Did you recently update to Oreo? Have you tried doing a full reset and re setting the tv to external speakers and stuff?

I’m ignoring the Oreo update and going tv to Avr via hdmi. I get DD+ on Netflix.

Sony x900e, Sony STR-DN1080, Sony Core Series speakers (5.1.2), NVidia Shield TV, Synology 4 bay NAS (12TB total)
post #18279 of 19051 Old 01-19-2019, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I just noticed that the auto picture mode isn't switching to cinema home for 24 hz content like it did before the Oreo update. Anyone else notice this?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #18280 of 19051 Old 01-21-2019, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
My impression is using chromecast just means the TV is told to start the NBA app and open X show/game and start playing it. So I don't think there would be any difference. Maybe I am wrong
This is not how casting works.

What you are describing is sort of like a "remote control" for a specific app within the TV. Casting has nothing to do with controlling anything actively running on the TV - it's merely a different way to bring content to the panel to display. Instead of using an HDMI cable to bring the content to the panel, you are sending content over a WiFi network to the "receiver" on the TV. You don't even need to have a specific app installed on the TV in order to cast content from that app from a different device.
post #18281 of 19051 Old 01-21-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I'm wondering if the update took away 5.1 from the NetFlix APP. Not sure what the benefit of that was if that was the case.
post #18282 of 19051 Old 01-22-2019, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Looking for some help to figure out what this issue is. I turned the TV on last night, Monday, and these lines were across the bottom. My wife had the TV on earlier in the day and said it was there then too. On Sunday, the day before the lines were not there. I am giving reference to days to help with troubleshooting timeline.

I initially thought oh crap lucky this happened now because I still have a month left on the 1 year warranty.

The input the TV is on in the attached picture is HDMI 3 which is an Amazon Fire TV. I switched over to HDMI 2 which is a TIVO Roamio OTA and the lines are there as well. Which made me think even more the TV is bad.

But....when I switched to "Home" on the Sony remote the lines went away. I watched a YouTube video from the TV's "Home" screen to test it and the lines are not there. So I switched back to the input with Amazon Fire and the lines were there. I pulled the HDMI cable from the back of the Amazon Fire and the lines go away(just a blank black screen showing the input tag in the top left corner). This was right before bed last night so I didn't mess with it any further. LOL.

I have to assume if I were to unplug the HDMI cable from the TIVO that the lines would go away as well.

The only two things that I can think that could have possibly affected it is we had a power outage for a few seconds on Saturday(I'm pretty sure the TV was NOT on at that time) and also earlier Saturday I had hooked up a wireless adapter to our home security base station and that resides in the cabinet right next to the TIVO and Fire TV. But that was Saturday and the TV did not have the lines on Sunday when we had it on.

So....has anyone seen anything similar? Is this a cable issue or a TV issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9869.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2514526  
post #18283 of 19051 Old 01-22-2019, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Since the lines disappeared when using the internal Home page it is probably not a panel issue but an HDMI port issue.

Try using one of the internal apps to see if the issue is there, maybe YouTube or Netflix.

HDMI/HDCP negotiation issue caused by the power outage might be the problem, did you plug the FireTV back in and were the lines still there when you did.

Did you try an Android reboot using the power button on the remote?

You might need new board to replace the HDMI ports but that would be the last resort.

Good Luck

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #18284 of 19051 Old 01-22-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr6 View Post
I'm wondering if the update took away 5.1 from the NetFlix APP. Not sure what the benefit of that was if that was the case.
Dolby Digital Plus is still available with the current Oreo Update.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #18285 of 19051 Old 01-22-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Since the lines disappeared when using the internal Home page it is probably not a panel issue but an HDMI port issue.

Try using one of the internal apps to see if the issue is there, maybe YouTube or Netflix.

HDMI/HDCP negotiation issue caused by the power outage might be the problem, did you plug the FireTV back in and were the lines still there when you did.

Did you try an Android reboot using the power button on the remote?

You might need new board to replace the HDMI ports but that would be the last resort.

Good Luck
The lines came back when I plugged the FireTV back in.

I did use the internal YouTube app and the lines were not there.

I did not try a reboot...I was actually trying to figure that out....I assume just hold the power button down for a few seconds? Like I said it was right as I was going to bed that I decided to mess with it so I didn't RTFM to find out how to reboot haha.
post #18286 of 19051 Old 01-22-2019, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by double_b View Post
The lines came back when I plugged the FireTV back in.

I did use the internal YouTube app and the lines were not there.

I did not try a reboot...I was actually trying to figure that out....I assume just hold the power button down for a few seconds? Like I said it was right as I was going to bed that I decided to mess with it so I didn't RTFM to find out how to reboot haha.
I haven't seen that before, but it seems unlikely to me that a problem with the cable or with the ports themselves would affect just the bottom of the picture like that, with the rest of the picture completely normal. If I had to guess, I'd suspect a block of memory used for storing the image from the HDMI ports got zapped.
post #18287 of 19051 Old 01-22-2019, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Sony is replacing my 75in tv because of a line that appeared. They said it could be a reconditioned model or a newer model. What have other got when they have had there display replaced?

Thanks
Scott
post #18288 of 19051 Old 01-22-2019, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 888
Quote:
Looking for some help to figure out what this issue is. I turned the TV on last night, Monday, and these lines were across the bottom. My wife had the TV on earlier in the day and said it was there then too. On Sunday, the day before the lines were not there. I am giving reference to days to help with troubleshooting timeline.

I initially thought oh crap lucky this happened now because I still have a month left on the 1 year warranty.

The input the TV is on in the attached picture is HDMI 3 which is an Amazon Fire TV. I switched over to HDMI 2 which is a TIVO Roamio OTA and the lines are there as well. Which made me think even more the TV is bad.

But....when I switched to "Home" on the Sony remote the lines went away. I watched a YouTube video from the TV's "Home" screen to test it and the lines are not there. So I switched back to the input with Amazon Fire and the lines were there. I pulled the HDMI cable from the back of the Amazon Fire and the lines go away(just a blank black screen showing the input tag in the top left corner). This was right before bed last night so I didn't mess with it any further. LOL.

I have to assume if I were to unplug the HDMI cable from the TIVO that the lines would go away as well.

The only two things that I can think that could have possibly affected it is we had a power outage for a few seconds on Saturday(I'm pretty sure the TV was NOT on at that time) and also earlier Saturday I had hooked up a wireless adapter to our home security base station and that resides in the cabinet right next to the TIVO and Fire TV. But that was Saturday and the TV did not have the lines on Sunday when we had it on.

Virtually positive that that lower screen issue is because of a component inside the TV failing (Panel, HDMI board, Video Board, etc).

I would take more pictures showing the problem and contact Sony for repair or replacement and start the process.

I wouldn't volunteer any of the other information you've posted - just tell them the screen has that issue along the bottom
on your HDMI sources.

Randy
Sony XBR-55X900E, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Darbee DVP-5000S, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - https://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #18289 of 19051 Old 01-23-2019, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Lines after update

Quote:

I experienced this after the last update a month or two ago & then again this morning (another update). The solution for me was to unplug the power cord. After rebooting, back to normal.
double_b likes this.
post #18290 of 19051 Old 01-23-2019, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenk64 View Post
I experienced this after the last update a month or two ago & then again this morning (another update). The solution for me was to unplug the power cord. After rebooting, back to normal.
Did a reboot last night and the lines went away. Hopefully this is just a software issue and rebooting "fixes" it. My one year warranty is actually in two days. I am tempted to at least call Sony and report the issue just so it's documented before the warranty is up.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
post #18291 of 19051 Old 01-23-2019, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Exclamation New Update

Just saw that a new update (v6.5830) was posted on the Sony website yesterday:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/00015771

Benefits and Improvements from the latest update:

• Improves general performance of the TV
  • Prevents an issue where the TV picture becomes dim after the software update

I may have to update now that the "dim picture" issue appears to be resolved...

Last edited by TonyS; 01-23-2019 at 08:09 AM.
post #18292 of 19051 Old 01-23-2019, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
Just saw that a new update (v6.5830) was posted on the Sony website yesterday:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/00015771

Benefits and Improvements from the latest update:

• Improves general performance of the TV
  • Prevents an issue where the TV picture becomes dim after the software update

I may have to update now that the "dim picture" issue appears to be resolved...
Excellent. Exactly what I was waiting for. I wonder if it will replace the original update for those who have not upgraded to Oreo, or if we’ll have to wait until this one is rolled out over the next couple of months as well (or else manually update).
post #18293 of 19051 Old 01-23-2019, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
This is not how casting works.

What you are describing is sort of like a "remote control" for a specific app within the TV. Casting has nothing to do with controlling anything actively running on the TV - it's merely a different way to bring content to the panel to display. Instead of using an HDMI cable to bring the content to the panel, you are sending content over a WiFi network to the "receiver" on the TV. You don't even need to have a specific app installed on the TV in order to cast content from that app from a different device.
Actually what I said is how it works. So I reached out to the chromecast team, (I reached out because I started a video then turned off my phone, which indicates the TV is shouldering all the load. As it turns out the TV has a chromecast app built in which has all the chromecast supported apps available), anyway and this is how it works:

John C9:22 AM
OK let me verify this with you. A person opens a Youtube video on their phone. They click the cast icon and sent it to their TV. What really happens from there is...

John C9:23 AM
The phone reaches out to the TV on some port no doubt, then says "this is a YT video, this is the address of the file, start playing at this timestamp...

John C9:24 AM
The TV gets that info, then using its own internet connection (obviously) reaches out for the address the phone told it to play, and opens the chromecast YT app, and starts playing the video.

John C9:24 AM
Is this correct?

Yana9:24 AM
Correct!
Yana9:25 AM
You just elaborated what I have said earlier in your own words. ☺️

So basically my suspicion was correct that casting is just a hand off of a link to the TV to play. It appears that the chromecast app will hand off the work to a few built in apps (like netflix), but generally it uses the watered down chromecast player for most everything on the TV. But the TV is doing all the work.
post #18294 of 19051 Old 01-24-2019, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone have any tips for getting a stable arc setup with the new update? As I wrote several pages ago, my receiver died soon after I got the update so I have been using the optical connection with a different receiver. Since I've gotten my receiver back I've been having the problem with arc. I basically have to turn it off and on again whenever I turn on my tv. I tried doing a factory reset and that did not help.
post #18295 of 19051 Old 01-25-2019, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoesToEleven View Post
Does anyone have any tips for getting a stable arc setup with the new update? As I wrote several pages ago, my receiver died soon after I got the update so I have been using the optical connection with a different receiver. Since I've gotten my receiver back I've been having the problem with arc. I basically have to turn it off and on again whenever I turn on my tv. I tried doing a factory reset and that did not help.
More people with your same issue:
https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comm...r_oreo_update/

Have you tried a factory reset of the TV?

About Optical Out (Toslink)
Quote:
The types of digital audio signals that can be transferred by a digital optical connection include two-channel stereo PCM, Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital EX, DTS Digital Surround, and DTS ES

Digital audio signals, such as 5.1/7.1 multi-channel PCM, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS:X, and Auro 3D Audio cannot be transferred via Digital Optical connections. To transfer these types of audio signal formats you need to use HDMI connections.
Regular ARC cannot pass anything above DD+. Our TVs dont support eARC. I think you really are not missing much by using the Optical out vs HDMI ARC.
Netflix is the only app that uses DD+ in my case. I use Kodi to play movie rips and they come out as DD, as ARC cannot pass the DTS-MA audio. My bluray player and PC connected to the AVR does pass through anything, and I can get all formats from there.

Due to Sony's constant update/firmware screwups and all the current bugs, I might get an NVidia Shield. That way I get a better interface, better support, full sound through AVR, etc.

Sony x900e, Sony STR-DN1080, Sony Core Series speakers (5.1.2), NVidia Shield TV, Synology 4 bay NAS (12TB total)

Last edited by vapore0n; 01-25-2019 at 05:21 AM.
post #18296 of 19051 Old 01-25-2019, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I installed the latest update on my 55x900e last night. Update went without a hitch.

It appears that since the Oreo update from a few months ago, there's an issue on my display where 24p content does not automatically change the "Cinema Home". I did not have this issue in the past. This occurs on my Nvidia Shield and Oppo 203. On the Shield, I can get the display to switch to Cinema Home with Plex more often than using Kodi or MrMC. The usual swapping of cables and resetting applications and devices did not fix the issue. I'm going to Contact Sony to see if this is a known issue or find any tips to resolve this issue.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #18297 of 19051 Old 01-25-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I installed the latest update on my 55x900e last night. Update went without a hitch.

It appears that since the Oreo update from a few months ago, there's an issue on my display where 24p content does not automatically change the "Cinema Home". I did not have this issue in the past. This occurs on my Nvidia Shield and Oppo 203. On the Shield, I can get the display to switch to Cinema Home with Plex more often than using Kodi or MrMC. The usual swapping of cables and resetting applications and devices did not fix the issue. I'm going to Contact Sony to see if this is a known issue or find any tips to resolve this issue.
I posted back a few about the same issue with 24p not triggering the auto switch to cinema home. Bummer with that and my harmony remote shortcut to picture mode still doesn't work with this update.

post #18298 of 19051 Old 01-25-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Williams View Post
I posted back a few about the same issue with 24p not triggering the auto switch to cinema home. Bummer with that and my harmony remote shortcut to picture mode still doesn't work with this update.

I emailed Sony Tech support a few minutes ago describing the issue occurring on my display, devices and applications used, and steps taken to troubleshoot the issue. I'll wait and see what type of response I get back.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #18299 of 19051 Old 01-25-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Williams View Post

I'm using a Harmony Ultimate and I created custom buttons to access the display's "Action Menu" while using an Nvidia Shield, Xbox One X, and Oppo 203.
I tried to create custom actions to gain access to the "Picture Mode" but I found that the "Action Menu" set up was much easier for some reason.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #18300 of 19051 Old 01-25-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I'm using a Harmony Ultimate and I created custom buttons to access the display's "Action Menu" while using an Nvidia Shield, Xbox One X, and Oppo 203.

I tried to create custom actions to gain access to the "Picture Mode" but I found that the "Action Menu" set up was much easier for some reason.
I can get to action menu but then it's several clicks down and then settings just to see pictures mode stuff. Annoying

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page