2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 617 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40325Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #18481 of 18906 Old 02-17-2019, 06:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic dog View Post
Wow so much talk about Dolby Vision support and yet not one shred of solid proof. And "my friend's cousin's uncle's best friend's coworker said" is not proof.

Lets not go off all pissed off at Sony until we have some real proof.


That and the current state of DV isn't that great. I usually just turn it off or bypass it.
KONICA TECH likes this.
Majcric is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #18482 of 18906 Old 02-17-2019, 09:24 AM
Member
 
atomic dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majcric View Post
That and the current state of DV isn't that great. I usually just turn it off or bypass it.
Hey I'm with ya. This whole DV thing is just marketing hype, but you just can't convince people. Reminds me of the whole "on the cloud" marketing crap 5 years ago(yea on the cloud means storing your info on/through the internet which is inherently unsafe), and the whole AI garbage now (hint: there is no real working AI, just computer programs scrubbing through data and using Bayesian decision models).

Buy hey, I'm sure DV is going to be amazing and revolutionary until the next thing.
atomic dog is offline  
post #18483 of 18906 Old 02-18-2019, 05:31 PM
Newbie
 
tvav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venez68 View Post
I hit the home button on my Sony remote and it says system software update available.
Click on it and it show all the changes for the update and then prompts me to hit the help button on remote to download.
Hit the help button to download and tells me i'm up to date, what gives?
I do have auto download enabled but always check manually as well.
Your issue sounds exactly like mine. I own a XBR-55X900E model that I purchased in November 2017. I cannot get it to update to the new version released no matter what I try. It is currently showing PKG0.0000.0082NAA and Android version 7.0. I have tried to update through the Internet using the System Software update of the TV, but I keep getting a message that says "Your software is up-to-date".

I then downloaded the 6.5805 version and tried to install manually through USB per the directions:
Once the USB is inserted, the TV realizes that there is a new version and begins the installation process. It goes for about 5 minutes with the installation progress bar moving along. Then it reboots and it comes back with a message that says the "Update was installed successfully. Please remove the USB drive". However, the update did not take and it still shows PKG0.0000.0082NAA as its current software version.
I have tried different USB drives, formatted in FAT32, NTFS, exFAT and plug it in the different USB ports of the TV. It's always the same process and the same result! I have reset the data on the TV with same result. I have done a factory reset with the same result. By trade, I am an IT professional (software engineer) and I have done countless installations of all of my electronic systems, so I know what I am doing.
I recently downloaded the the 01/22/2019 release with same results. Still not able to upgrade.
Furthermore, I went through Sony support to troubleshoot the issue. I went through 3 levels of support reaching the highest level that can be done remotely. Finally their most honest tech said that it is a problem with the motherboard of the TV and they recommended a site visit by a technician at $125 just to come out plus the cost of board plus other labor charges since it is not in warranty anymore. That's total BS in my opinion. At this point, and since it works, it is not worth all of this trouble and will keep as is.
However, Sony has lost a loyal customer. I have always bought Sony TVs over the years, this was my 6th Sony TV and will be my last. I will also be returning the Sony STR-DN1080 receiver and SS-CS8 center speaker I bought last month.
Anyway, this is a long rant, my apologies, but I am very disappointed with the Sony brand.

Finally, this is happening with many other users and there is a thread open with Sony Customer Support.
If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated!
tvav is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #18484 of 18906 Old 02-18-2019, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DLCPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 2,322
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvav View Post
Finally their most honest tech said that it is a problem with the motherboard of the TV and they recommended a site visit by a technician at $125 just to come out plus the cost of board plus other labor charges since it is not in warranty anymore. That's total BS in my opinion.
I have no technical suggestions, as you've already done everything I could think to do (the main one being a full factory reset before another attempt). One thing I just thought of, which you've probably already tried, is to do the factory reset, then unplug the TV for a long time, pressing the on button on the remote, to make sure any remaining 'charge' in the TV is extinguished, and then try again.

The only other thought I had would be the possibility that whatever credit card you used to purchase the TV might have a benefit of extending the warranty an additional year. Not all cards do this, but perhaps yours does?

Sorry you're having a problem, which as you indicate, really shouldn't exist.

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLCPhoto is offline  
post #18485 of 18906 Old 02-19-2019, 04:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Posts: 2,814
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvav View Post
Your issue sounds exactly like mine. I own a XBR-55X900E model that I purchased in November 2017. I cannot get it to update to the new version released no matter what I try. It is currently showing PKG0.0000.0082NAA and Android version 7.0. I have tried to update through the Internet using the System Software update of the TV, but I keep getting a message that says "Your software is up-to-date".

I then downloaded the 6.5805 version and tried to install manually through USB per the directions:
Once the USB is inserted, the TV realizes that there is a new version and begins the installation process. It goes for about 5 minutes with the installation progress bar moving along. Then it reboots and it comes back with a message that says the "Update was installed successfully. Please remove the USB drive". However, the update did not take and it still shows PKG0.0000.0082NAA as its current software version.
I have tried different USB drives, formatted in FAT32, NTFS, exFAT and plug it in the different USB ports of the TV. It's always the same process and the same result! I have reset the data on the TV with same result. I have done a factory reset with the same result. By trade, I am an IT professional (software engineer) and I have done countless installations of all of my electronic systems, so I know what I am doing.
I recently downloaded the the 01/22/2019 release with same results. Still not able to upgrade.
Furthermore, I went through Sony support to troubleshoot the issue. I went through 3 levels of support reaching the highest level that can be done remotely. Finally their most honest tech said that it is a problem with the motherboard of the TV and they recommended a site visit by a technician at $125 just to come out plus the cost of board plus other labor charges since it is not in warranty anymore. That's total BS in my opinion. At this point, and since it works, it is not worth all of this trouble and will keep as is.
However, Sony has lost a loyal customer. I have always bought Sony TVs over the years, this was my 6th Sony TV and will be my last. I will also be returning the Sony STR-DN1080 receiver and SS-CS8 center speaker I bought last month.
Anyway, this is a long rant, my apologies, but I am very disappointed with the Sony brand.

Finally, this is happening with many other users and there is a thread open with Sony Customer Support.
If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated!

I uploaded my update over the internet about a week ago with no issue's. It stinks you have to go through all that just for the update and for Sony to say its the motherboard and all that is just crap. They shouldnt charge you a thing but that is how the manufacturers are these days. I went through the same damn thing with Samsung and will never buy another product of theirs ever again. But question for you? Why are you returning your DN1080 avr and Center channel speaker? I have the DN1080 and love the hell out of it.
steve1971 is offline  
post #18486 of 18906 Old 02-19-2019, 07:38 AM
Newbie
 
tvav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
I uploaded my update over the internet about a week ago with no issue's. It stinks you have to go through all that just for the update and for Sony to say its the motherboard and all that is just crap. They shouldnt charge you a thing but that is how the manufacturers are these days. I went through the same damn thing with Samsung and will never buy another product of theirs ever again. But question for you? Why are you returning your DN1080 avr and Center channel speaker? I have the DN1080 and love the hell out of it.
Two main reasons for returning the DN1080 although I agree, it is a very good receiver:
1. It's a Sony and I'm done with the brand
2. And more importantly, I don't like how the Bravia system works over ARC when it comes to sound. It basically forces the receiver to MULTI CH no matter what the source is. The best you can do is set it to Dolby Surround (cinema mode) for each input but still that's not right! For example, I own a number of HDR - Atmos movies that I play and here's what happens: 4K HDR playert -> DN1080 receiver : works fine, AFD is engaged for best sound. DN1080 -> XBR55X TV through ARC: the TV changes the sound field on the receiver to Dolby Surround because of the Bravia synch. This forces me to manually override the sound field on the receiver every time. I know I can connect to HDMI 2 of the TV and not use ARC, but that defeats the purpose of the ARC functionality. This happens with streaming content as well. If I use an app on the TV (Vudu, Netflix) with Dolby Digital+ or Atmos sound output, the TV always changes the sound field of the receiver to Dolby Surround forcing me again to manually change it.
I have researched this issue quite a bit, but there's no fix at least on my TV and Android 7. Sony should have a user selectable option to disable the Bravia sound synch.
I hope this makes sense
tvav is offline  
post #18487 of 18906 Old 02-19-2019, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
green666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Croatia
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 126
The new firmware really messed the audio (external speakers - AV Reciever) for me ...it often either loose sound completely (has to be rewinded manually to start of video to get the sound back) or make a noise every few mins. Playback on TV speakers work fine. I manually downl the fw from the site (local for my region) and installed 11.02 from a stick with no problems, then on 14.02 they released (still there) "newer version" which shows i am already up to date and wont install, hoped they fixed the audio issue.


PS: Naming my TV "FBI Warning" really did the trick, the neighbour didn`t connect to my tv after that.
meburdick and Ricoflashback like this.

1st 55js8002: Bad DSE - returned for replace
2nd 55js8002: Exactly the same thing - refund
55js9002: Panel R.I.P. (edge bleed after 1 year of use) - refund
55x900E: Great TV - hope it will last
green666 is offline  
post #18488 of 18906 Old 02-19-2019, 05:16 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Since the update I took a week ago, my TV is turning itself fully off after about 20hrs of standby. I've turned off the power saving feature that was set for 24hrs (forget what it was called), no change.

Anyone else finding the next day their %V is all the way off and boots the Android screen? If I turn it on in the morning for a few minutes it's fine that night, but not if I go the whole time.

I did open a Sony support ticket tonight as well.

Thanks!
Coronadoisdead is offline  
post #18489 of 18906 Old 02-21-2019, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
Airsculpture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: English but in Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 912
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 611
I’m currently on version 5629.

No issues or gripes with the TV, is it recommended to update to latest firmware ? I’m very wary as I don’t have any issues, don’t use any internal apps and tempted not to ‘fix something which isn’t broken’.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65X900E, Oppo UDP-203 Universal Player
Front L&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds & Rears - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Marantz SR6012
Airsculpture is offline  
post #18490 of 18906 Old 02-21-2019, 03:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I would not update. While 5805 hasn't really caused issues, on my set the gain wasn't worthwhile. And really take this into consideration if you're happy with the TV. I feel OREO needs more time to mature.
Airsculpture likes this.
Majcric is offline  
post #18491 of 18906 Old 02-21-2019, 04:31 PM
Member
 
DWBoston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Grafton, MA
Posts: 165
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Latest firmware has been fine on my TV. The UI is faster and I've had no picture or sound issues.
KONICA TECH likes this.

DWBoston is offline  
post #18492 of 18906 Old 02-21-2019, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DougDingle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,561
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBoston View Post
Latest firmware has been fine on my TV. The UI is faster and I've had no picture or sound issues.
Same here. I haven't seen the issue reported by some that internal apps won't feed an external AVR (only use Netflix app).
KONICA TECH likes this.
DougDingle is offline  
post #18493 of 18906 Old 02-22-2019, 04:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Deezul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 1,106
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
Same here. I haven't seen the issue reported by some that internal apps won't feed an external AVR (only use Netflix app).
For the second or third time, I've had to do a reboot of the TV due to the Netflix app. I get the Netflix logo and a spinning circle, but it hangs there. Amazon Prime works fine, and other devices with Netflix service work fine. After a reboot it's fine. Is it possible to force stop the Netflix app without a reboot? I'd try that next time.

Xbox: Deezul
Sony XBR-65X900E, Sony XBR-49X900E
Go Jackets!
Deezul is offline  
post #18494 of 18906 Old 02-22-2019, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
meburdick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,272
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
For the second or third time, I've had to do a reboot of the TV due to the Netflix app. I get the Netflix logo and a spinning circle, but it hangs there. Amazon Prime works fine, and other devices with Netflix service work fine. After a reboot it's fine. Is it possible to force stop the Netflix app without a reboot? I'd try that next time.
Does it to me, too, and it's super annoying when it happens. Full reboot is not required, just kill the app and re-launch it. I haven't done the firmware update, so I hold the HOME button until the list of running apps appears and then I can select Netflix, arrow down to select the "X" in the circle, then select to close.
Deezul likes this.
meburdick is offline  
post #18495 of 18906 Old 02-22-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ricoflashback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 3,294
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1762 Post(s)
Liked: 1244
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic dog View Post
Hey I'm with ya. This whole DV thing is just marketing hype, but you just can't convince people. Reminds me of the whole "on the cloud" marketing crap 5 years ago(yea on the cloud means storing your info on/through the internet which is inherently unsafe), and the whole AI garbage now (hint: there is no real working AI, just computer programs scrubbing through data and using Bayesian decision models).

Buy hey, I'm sure DV is going to be amazing and revolutionary until the next thing.
***Lots of DV hype? Yes. Even HDR hype. I have both the Sony 900F and Sony 900E. The biggest benefit to the 900F and Dolby Vision is the availability of Dolby Atmos (via DD+) audio. But quite frankly, DV and HDR's picture quality doesn't match up to a solid 1080i or 1080p signal, IMHO. In fact, when streaming Amazon Prime HDR or even Netflix DV or HDR - - many times, I'll just go with the 1080p streaming version. I tried 4K/HDR (fake 4K/HDR) Blu-ray Discs but I quickly gave up on that and sold my Samsung 4K Player.

Maybe one day they'll get DV & HDR right but I'm not holding my breath. And this is why upscaling and Sony's processing is the number one benefit of Sony TV's. And it's why anyone who is considering a TV purchase should look at Sony's FALD offerings.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Ricoflashback is online now  
post #18496 of 18906 Old 02-22-2019, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
meburdick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,272
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***Lots of DV hype? Yes. Even HDR hype. I have both the Sony 900F and Sony 900E. The biggest benefit to the 900F and Dolby Vision is the availability of Dolby Atmos (via DD+) audio. But quite frankly, DV and HDR's picture quality doesn't match up to a solid 1080i or 1080p signal, IMHO. In fact, when streaming Amazon Prime HDR or even Netflix DV or HDR - - many times, I'll just go with the 1080p streaming version. I tried 4K/HDR (fake 4K/HDR) Blu-ray Discs but I quickly gave up on that and sold my Samsung 4K Player.

Maybe one day they'll get DV & HDR right but I'm not holding my breath. And this is why upscaling and Sony's processing is the number one benefit of Sony TV's. And it's why anyone who is considering a TV purchase should look at Sony's FALD offerings.
The HDR content from Netflix is awful. I have to disable HDR any time I watch anything from them because it's so dark. In response to Netflix upping their prices, I just dropped my subscription to HD only. I have been saying for a very long time that source QUALITY is king and you can't live by the numbers alone. I have content from DVD's that looks excellent and content from BluRay's that looks so-so. Why? Because the original source material that was mastered to DVD was excellent and the original source material that was mastered to BluRay was so-so. A quality 1080 / 2K / HD signal will look excellent. Period. Crappy quality at any resolution will look crappy.
mattg3 and Danny-Italy like this.
meburdick is offline  
post #18497 of 18906 Old 02-23-2019, 01:11 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
The HDR version of Stranger Things (second season) looks terrible.


Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Danny-Italy is offline  
post #18498 of 18906 Old 02-23-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DLCPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 2,322
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 687
I don't know the reason, but 4k/HDR Netflix shows on my 75" 900E look awesome: Grace and Frankie, Russian Dolls, Umbrella Academy, all of which I've watched in the last couple of weeks in particular.

This actually has been the case even before the update, but continues just as good afterwards.

And in general, I would have to say that operation of the TV is quicker, smoother, etc., following the update than before.

Again, I don't know the reason, but just want to let others reading this thread that these problems reported by some are not universal.
KONICA TECH and green666 like this.

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLCPhoto is offline  
post #18499 of 18906 Old 02-23-2019, 04:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 3
So I recently just sent back my Sony X800 player thinking it was the cause of my recent home theatre problems. There was no handshake connection (to a Nakamichi 7.2 audio system) being made. And the player would freeze up causing me to have to unplug. It seems the TV update might be the cause after reading this thread.

We'll see what happens when I get a new player. But if it still is not working, is there a way to go back to the factory software on the TV until this new update is fixed?
rush0024 is offline  
post #18500 of 18906 Old 02-23-2019, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DougDingle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,561
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 646
49" 900E occasionally shows green screen at turn-on since recent update

Twice now since the latest update, after turning the set on, I am met with a full field green screen.

My system is a TiVo Mini going through a Marantz 1608 AVR, to a 49" 900E. All 18Gb certified cables.

I can fix the problem by selecting another input on the 900E, then re-selecting the Marantz's output.

I've had the setup for about 6-8 months, and these two occurrences are the only ones since the system was installed.

Anyone else seeing this?
DougDingle is offline  
post #18501 of 18906 Old 02-24-2019, 01:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***Lots of DV hype? Yes. Even HDR hype. I have both the Sony 900F and Sony 900E. The biggest benefit to the 900F and Dolby Vision is the availability of Dolby Atmos (via DD+) audio. But quite frankly, DV and HDR's picture quality doesn't match up to a solid 1080i or 1080p signal, IMHO. In fact, when streaming Amazon Prime HDR or even Netflix DV or HDR - - many times, I'll just go with the 1080p streaming version. I tried 4K/HDR (fake 4K/HDR) Blu-ray Discs but I quickly gave up on that and sold my Samsung 4K Player.

Maybe one day they'll get DV & HDR right but I'm not holding my breath. And this is why upscaling and Sony's processing is the number one benefit of Sony TV's. And it's why anyone who is considering a TV purchase should look at Sony's FALD offerings.
DV really depends on the device, show and associated application. I have a 930e and certain DV Netflix TV shows from the inbuilt app look really amazing. HDR10 from the Xbox One S (UHD blu ray) looks ok and from its Netflix app it’s awful. Xbox One Netflix says DV all the time and it isn’t. Thanks MS (sarcasm).

The other thing is people’s perception of DV. If the content isn’t designed around it it’s just going to be the same as HDR10. Grainy Netflix Marvel shows aren’t the best indicators. Watch Lost in Space or Altered Carbon or Sabrina. If those episodes don’t appeal than HDR isn’t your thing.

My impression of DV is more around realistic color. Brighter light sources. Nothing else.
KONICA TECH likes this.
geoffo11 is offline  
post #18502 of 18906 Old 02-24-2019, 04:56 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
For the second or third time, I've had to do a reboot of the TV due to the Netflix app. I get the Netflix logo and a spinning circle, but it hangs there. Amazon Prime works fine, and other devices with Netflix service work fine. After a reboot it's fine. Is it possible to force stop the Netflix app without a reboot? I'd try that next time.
Just had the same experience last night. I've already done the update and so I tried to reboot the TV which only made it worse. Holding down the power button **** everything down, but when I turned it back on it seemed to hang on the 4 circles, I only got three and it froze that way.

Eventually I pulled the plug and waited to reset, and it started normally. Netflix still acted up so I went to the app settings and cleared the cache and force stopped the app. This finally got it back to normal.

First time I've really had any sort of issues with this tv. My update wasn't released until February so I've only had it for a week or two.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Pghbuckeye is offline  
post #18503 of 18906 Old 02-24-2019, 08:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Javelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
I don't know the reason, but 4k/HDR Netflix shows on my 75" 900E look awesome: Grace and Frankie, Russian Dolls, Umbrella Academy, all of which I've watched in the last couple of weeks in particular.

This actually has been the case even before the update, but continues just as good afterwards.

And in general, I would have to say that operation of the TV is quicker, smoother, etc., following the update than before.

Again, I don't know the reason, but just want to let others reading this thread that these problems reported by some are not universal.
I have the same experience as you! My TV has performed solidly before and after the update. i really like the new interface.
KONICA TECH likes this.
Javelin is offline  
post #18504 of 18906 Old 02-24-2019, 08:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I've had this issue with Netflix since the update. Everything else is flawless but majority of the time I have to force stop Netflix and open it again to make it work. Pretty anooying and even the app update didn't fix it. I've tried clearing data, uninstallinh updates and taking them again, etc. No joy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
bsantucci is offline  
post #18505 of 18906 Old 02-24-2019, 01:17 PM
Newbie
 
tvav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsantucci View Post
I've had this issue with Netflix since the update. Everything else is flawless but majority of the time I have to force stop Netflix and open it again to make it work. Pretty anooying and even the app update didn't fix it. I've tried clearing data, uninstallinh updates and taking them again, etc. No joy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Had the same issues with Netflix myself since the update.
The work around as you mention is to go to Settings - Apps - Netflix and Force stop.
Today, I did the following and we'll see how this works:
1. Settings -Apps - Netflix -> Uninstall
2. Confirm the "Return to Factory default app" prompt
3. Home - Google Play Store - Settings - Auto-update apps -> Don't auto-update apps

The problem version (released Jan 29th) has a version of 6.1.3 build 2486.
The factory default Netflix version that shows up in my TV, is 4.2.0 build 1802. This works well with my TV and does 4K streaming as well.
I will stay on this version until all issues are fixed, at which point I can do a manual update
tvav is offline  
post #18506 of 18906 Old 02-24-2019, 01:43 PM
Newbie
 
tvav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
I have no technical suggestions, as you've already done everything I could think to do (the main one being a full factory reset before another attempt). One thing I just thought of, which you've probably already tried, is to do the factory reset, then unplug the TV for a long time, pressing the on button on the remote, to make sure any remaining 'charge' in the TV is extinguished, and then try again.

The only other thought I had would be the possibility that whatever credit card you used to purchase the TV might have a benefit of extending the warranty an additional year. Not all cards do this, but perhaps yours does?

Sorry you're having a problem, which as you indicate, really shouldn't exist.
Thanks for the suggestion. I did try the factory reset and long wait as you suggested with the same results.
tvav is offline  
post #18507 of 18906 Old 02-24-2019, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DLCPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 2,322
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvav View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I did try the factory reset and long wait as you suggested with the same results.
Bummer!

Any possibility of the additional year of warranty with whatever credit card you used?

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLCPhoto is offline  
post #18508 of 18906 Old 02-24-2019, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2,868
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1636 Post(s)
Liked: 964
Still no update for me but I'm in no rush anyway.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #18509 of 18906 Old 02-24-2019, 02:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvav View Post
Had the same issues with Netflix myself since the update.

The work around as you mention is to go to Settings - Apps - Netflix and Force stop.

Today, I did the following and we'll see how this works:

1. Settings -Apps - Netflix -> Uninstall

2. Confirm the "Return to Factory default app" prompt

3. Home - Google Play Store - Settings - Auto-update apps -> Don't auto-update apps



The problem version (released Jan 29th) has a version of 6.1.3 build 2486.

The factory default Netflix version that shows up in my TV, is 4.2.0 build 1802. This works well with my TV and does 4K streaming as well.

I will stay on this version until all issues are fixed, at which point I can do a manual update
Yep the prior version works perfect.

If you long press home also it goes right to the settings area to get app info and force stop. Bit quicker than going through the menus. Hope they fix it soon for all of us affected.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
bsantucci is offline  
post #18510 of 18906 Old 02-24-2019, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
meburdick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,272
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsantucci View Post
I've had this issue with Netflix since the update. Everything else is flawless but majority of the time I have to force stop Netflix and open it again to make it work. Pretty anooying and even the app update didn't fix it. I've tried clearing data, uninstallinh updates and taking them again, etc. No joy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvav View Post
Had the same issues with Netflix myself since the update.
The work around as you mention is to go to Settings - Apps - Netflix and Force stop.
Today, I did the following and we'll see how this works:
1. Settings -Apps - Netflix -> Uninstall
2. Confirm the "Return to Factory default app" prompt
3. Home - Google Play Store - Settings - Auto-update apps -> Don't auto-update apps

The problem version (released Jan 29th) has a version of 6.1.3 build 2486.
The factory default Netflix version that shows up in my TV, is 4.2.0 build 1802. This works well with my TV and does 4K streaming as well.
I will stay on this version until all issues are fixed, at which point I can do a manual update
Just as an FYI... This problem is NOT related to the OS update on the TV. I have NOT updated to the current firmware and have had this issue with Netflix for months.
bsantucci likes this.
meburdick is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off