2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 620 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40396Likes

post #18571 of 19274 Old 03-14-2019, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by luceri84 View Post
Yes, they started by telling me to get rid of the surge protector, didn't resolve the issue. Then I reset to factory defaults, by holding down the power and volume button when plugging the tv into the wall with the green light turning on— didn't fix the problem. I am a regular user of ARC with a Marantz receiver that has always been a headache with this Sony, might be related; however, I reset the tv and never plugged a device into any HDMI ports and the freezing behavior began having only ever used the built in apps.

This has been frustrating, I just cannot find anything causing it on my end. There are others on the Bravia subreddit also reporting this problem.
And you’ve done a factory reset since the firmware update?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18572 of 19274 Old 03-14-2019, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
That IR shortcut and being removed since the Oreo update.
Yes I used to have that Picture Mode command set up on my Harmony before the UI update change. It worked like a dream.

I was SO bummed when the functionality disappeared because I used it constantly.

Oh well...
Billy Williams likes this.

TV: Sony XBR65X900E
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V479
Speakers: Fronts: Sony SS-F6000, Center: Sony SS-CN5000 , Rears: Sony SS-B1000, Sub: Sony SA-W3000
-pete-
post #18573 of 19274 Old 03-18-2019, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm having issues with Google Home volume control recently (a few months after the Oreo update) and I was wondering if anyone else had this issue. Before that update I could control the volume of the TV using voice commands with my Google Home. I could also turn the TV on/off (a more recent addition), and also tell it to launch and app and play/pause with voice commands via Google Home. This worked for many months without a problem. A few weeks ago, volume control stopped working all of a sudden. I had updated nothing on the TV, at least nothing that I interacted with. Oddly enough, if I used the Google Home app on my phone, I can manually adjust the volume using the circle dial inside the device info.
Voice control of volume doesn't work. Google Home will pause for 3 to 4 seconds after I ask it to turn the volume on the TV to XX, and then it says "Something went wrong, please try again later.". I tried resetting the GH to factory and that did not work. I tried rebooting the TV, unplugging the TV, wiping the TV and none of this restored the volume control. Everything else worked like power on/off and launching apps etc. Finally after talking to Google Home support, they said the issue has to be on the TV side, because the Google Home simply sends the connected TV the same Volume command it always does and if the TV doesn't respond it says try again later. The support guy who also has a Sony TV said I should do a force wipe which is unplug, hold the power/volume up on the TV, and plug in. This wipes every single setting on the TV unlike the regular wipe. This worked! Volume control via GH was restored, however, this only lasted about a week. Yesterday out the blue, the volume control no longer worked via Google Home commands once again. Nothing seemed to have changed. I haven't done anything yet. I'm going to start out this time by unplugging instead of wiping Google Home which I did first last time.

Anyway, it is a real bummer that this doesn't work. I'd rather have the volume working than on/off. Anyone else have this issue or have any ideas here? It would be nice if there was a single built in app that I could simply delete the data for to fix this or better yet something that permanently fixes it from coming back. I'm not force wiping again!

Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3100
DaLite 106" Cinemavision Permwall
Sony XBR65X900E
Samsung UN65HU8550
Toshiba Cinema Series 52LX177
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18574 of 19274 Old 03-19-2019, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 69
So, as I continue to contemplate upgrading the firmware, I randomly check the Sony support site to see if there have been any new updates. Today, I saw this regarding v6.5830 (note the reference to the "next update"):

About this download

SPECIAL ALERT: If you are using a Home Theater system (Sound Bar, A/V Receiver, etc.) to output the sound from your TV, we strongly recommend that you not install this update yet. With this software version and some Home Theater systems, an issue may occur where you will not hear sound through your Home Theater system if the TV remains on standby for too long. While workarounds are available, we recommend you wait until the next update, which will resolve this issue.

NOTE: If the update is already installed on your TV and this problem occurs, follow the steps in this article to fix it.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/00015771
HuskerHarley and sheshechic like this.
post #18575 of 19274 Old 03-19-2019, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
So, as I continue to contemplate upgrading the firmware, I randomly check the Sony support site to see if there have been any new updates. Today, I saw this regarding v6.5830 (note the reference to the "next update"):

About this download

SPECIAL ALERT: If you are using a Home Theater system (Sound Bar, A/V Receiver, etc.) to output the sound from your TV, we strongly recommend that you not install this update yet. With this software version and some Home Theater systems, an issue may occur where you will not hear sound through your Home Theater system if the TV remains on standby for too long. While workarounds are available, we recommend you wait until the next update, which will resolve this issue.

NOTE: If the update is already installed on your TV and this problem occurs, follow the steps in this article to fix it.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/00015771
Not everyone has the problem. I have the 49" 900E and the Marantz 1608, and it continued to work properly (they spoke to each other for both control and audio input/output switching) after the Android 8 update whether I was using an external source like my TiVo, or an internal app.
post #18576 of 19274 Old 03-19-2019, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
Not everyone has the problem. I have the 49" 900E and the Marantz 1608, and it continued to work properly (they spoke to each other for both control and audio input/output switching) after the Android 8 update whether I was using an external source like my TiVo, or an internal app.
Yeah, I didn't think it affected everyone given Sony says "an issue may occur..." I just saw it and figured I'd post it. Since I run all my audio straight to my receiver (not from the TV itself), I assume I would not be affected. I am more intrigued by the "next update" and what it may contain/fix/enhance. Some on here have reported that their 900e has been routinely freezing during the bouncing Android dots when turned on after the recent update and the only fix is to unplug it from the wall to reboot. Hopefully the next update addresses that as well.
post #18577 of 19274 Old 03-20-2019, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey all, I feel like maybe this talk of update and all might be my problem? I think my tv did an update a few weeks back, but I haven’t agreed to anything recently...that I know of. However, I have a Yamaha receiver setup using the ARC hdmi input. It seems every other time I turn it on using a harmony hub activity, the tv reverts to “tv speakers.” This makes the Netflix app unusable due to the lack of sound now(no signal to receiver) and inability to control volume on directv with my remote. After I power it off and right back on again, it all works perfectly. Power off then on again equals no Netflix sound and remote problem again. It’s literally every other time. Thoughts to help keep me sane??
post #18578 of 19274 Old 03-20-2019, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I figured I would post this in case it helps anyone. I bought the 65 inch version from Best Buy or year and a half ago and since the protection plan was relatively cheap at a little over $100, I decided to get it (Usually pass on extended warranties). A few months ago after the tv’s 1 year warranty expired, The TV would suddenly get this weird computer code on the screen and stop showing whatever program was being watched.

Called the Magnolia unit within Best Buy and they immediately shipped me a new mother board and scheduled a Geek Squad tech to come to my house that week. Board was replaced and the TV works flawlessly again.
iraweiss and KONICA TECH like this.
post #18579 of 19274 Old 03-22-2019, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpete987 View Post
Yes I used to have that Picture Mode command set up on my Harmony before the UI update change. It worked like a dream.

I was SO bummed when the functionality disappeared because I used it constantly.

Oh well...
do you remember what the command was?
I havent updated and would like to change between game and cinema modes using my harmony.

Thanks

Sony x900e, Sony STR-DN1080, Sony Core Series speakers (5.1.2), NVidia Shield TV, Synology 4 bay NAS (12TB total)
post #18580 of 19274 Old 03-22-2019, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by isuguy1234 View Post
Hey all, I feel like maybe this talk of update and all might be my problem? I think my tv did an update a few weeks back, but I haven’t agreed to anything recently...that I know of. However, I have a Yamaha receiver setup using the ARC hdmi input. It seems every other time I turn it on using a harmony hub activity, the tv reverts to “tv speakers.” This makes the Netflix app unusable due to the lack of sound now(no signal to receiver) and inability to control volume on directv with my remote. After I power it off and right back on again, it all works perfectly. Power off then on again equals no Netflix sound and remote problem again. It’s literally every other time. Thoughts to help keep me sane??
i have the exact same setup and mine does the same thing. Playing movies off of my external hard drive causes the TV to randomly crash and I have to reboot via unplugging the TV. This update is total BS and makes me want to throw the remote through the screen at times. Sony needs to hurry up and release an update or let us roll back the firmware for those of us who were screwed over by the auto update.

Sony XBR-65X900E
Yamaha TSR-7810
post #18581 of 19274 Old 03-22-2019, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I couldn't tell you because my 900E was forgotten I guess. Still no update for me.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Its is the end of march and I still have not received the update either.
post #18582 of 19274 Old 03-22-2019, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1816 Post(s)
Liked: 1104
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan456 View Post
Its is the end of march and I still have not received the update either.
Apparently they pulled the update.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #18583 of 19274 Old 03-22-2019, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So Dish Network is showing some games of the NCAA tournament in 4k. I'm watching through a Hopper 3 on channel 540-03 connected to a 75" x900e and noticed that the picture has always been weird (very cool, grayish, flat, etc) when watching 4k on this channel. I did some tinkering with the settings and noticed that if I changed the "Color Space" setting on the TV from "Auto" to "BT.2020" the color is perfect and showing as it should be as compared to the regular HD version of the channel.

My question is...why would the Auto setting not be picking the correct color space and is anyone else having this issue?

I've had issues in the past where the TV would not switch into HDR mode right away, but that was resolved by switching channels back and forth when they were showing the World Cup in 4k HDR.
post #18584 of 19274 Old 03-25-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Just found a new problem, which *could* be related to the recent Oreo update:

My Google Home Mini now has problems working with the TV. Previously I could tell it to play music, and it would turn the TV on and play the content. Now it "tries" to but then says "something went wrong."

If I go to the Home App on my phone, I can see the Sony TV, but communication is incomplete. For example, there's the screen where you can control the volume, and the TV responds appropriately. But if I try to change the name, for example, it says "could not communicate with your Android TV."

If I try to play music, and select the TV, which shows as being available, it says "unable to play music on this device at the moment."

I can still cast the screen from my phone, cast YouTube onto the TV as well, so as I said, it partially works and partially doesn't.

I've done the usual trouble-shooting:

Updated the Chromecast Built-in App on the TV, after also clearing the cache and data.
Completely rebooted the TV using the long press of the On/Off button.
Completely rebooted the Home Mini by removing its power supply.
Cleared the cache and data on my Phone's Home app.
Removed the TV and re-added it in, using the Home App on my phone.

Basically, there now seems to be some problem in communication between Google Home and the TV. The Oreo update is one suspect, but it could also be an App update to the Home App driving the Mini.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Any other suggestions on fixing this?

In searching for solutions, the usual "factory reset" of the TV is suggested, but I haven't found one instance where this worked. I'm not going through that hassle unless there is a clear indication that it will work.

JVC NX7, DCR Lens, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #18585 of 19274 Old 03-25-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
In searching for solutions, the usual "factory reset" of the TV is suggested, but I haven't found one instance where this worked. I'm not going through that hassle unless there is a clear indication that it will work.

I have noticed that as consumer gear has become more CPU-centric, "Have you tried a factory reset?" is the current version of tech support's "Have you tried re-installing Windows?" from the early and mid nineties.

I can't say if it will help you or not, but seriously, is that the solution to everything now? Blow away your settings and start over? What about people who have paid hundreds of dollars to get their set calibrated? Should they have to spend half a day writing down and restoring all their settings because the manufacturer did not do sufficient testing before rolling out their latest magical update?

It seems to be the single most often piece of advice given out all over AVSFORUM for any sort of mysterious problem, and while I understand the concept, it should not be the only available solution for problems created by updates, and should certainly not be a quick way for tech support to get you off the phone.

Last edited by DougDingle; 03-25-2019 at 12:46 PM.
post #18586 of 19274 Old 03-25-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have noticed that as consumer gear has become more CPU-centric, "Have you tried a factory reset?" is the current version of tech support's "Have you tried re-installing Windows?" from the early and mid nineties.

I can't say if it will help you or not, but seriously, is that the solution to everything now? Blow away your settings and start over? What about people who have paid hundreds of dollars to get their set calibrated? Should they have to spend half a day writing down and restoring all their settings because the manufacturer did not do sufficient testing before rolling out their latest magical update?

It seems to be the single most often piece of advice given out all over AVSFORUM for any sort of mysterious problem, and while I understand the concept, it should not be solution for problems created by updates, and should certainly not be a quick way for tech support to get you off the phone.
Well said, and I agree 100%. And let's not forget the dreaded Format C:!!

post #18587 of 19274 Old 03-25-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does anyone know if the optical output of the 49" x900E is active with the selected input's audio feed even when it's set up for an external AVR (ie. the internal speakers are turned off)?

I can't reach mine the way it's mounted, and before I take it off the wall to try it, I'd like to know if it's worth the effort.

Thanks.
post #18588 of 19274 Old 03-25-2019, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:

It seems to be the single most often piece of advice given out all over AVSFORUM for any sort of mysterious problem, and while I understand the concept, it should not be the only available solution for problems created by updates, and should certainly not be a quick way for tech support to get you off the phone.
I'm not sure what you're referring to as being "CPU-centric", but here's the situation that we're all in as consumers...

All we want is everything. Quality display. HDR. Streaming apps. Precision video control (brightness, contrast, etc.). Audio flexibility. Multiple inputs. WiFi. HDMI-CEC. Auto brightness. 4K upscaling. Wide zoom configurability. Echo and Google Home integration. Casting support. Auto firmware updates. The list goes on.

Every single one of these things is a piece of software. The OS isn't written by Sony and neither are most of the apps. Video and audio content is "supposed" to conform to standards, but it isn't always correct and needs to be fixed on the fly by the TV (or the app). The more pieces of software you put together, each with their own variables, the more complex the overall environment becomes. Every manufacturer today is able to support exactly what they shipped. And you get back to that point with a factory reset. Sadly, gone are the days when there is only one or two things that a consumer could do to a set to cause it to not operate as expected. Sony (as is the same with every other manufacturer) will fix issues that are THEIRS. But, the only way to determine if it's an issue with what Sony shipped or not is to purge everything that you did as a user because they simply can't write a manual to take you through all of the various troubleshooting steps that would be required.

As consumers, we have brought this situation on ourselves by demanding that all of this CRAP be included in our televisions in order for us to spend our money on it. We are the ones that have put the manufacturers in the position of not being able to support anything beyond the basic system they shipped in the first place.
post #18589 of 19274 Old 03-25-2019, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
I'm not sure what you're referring to as being "CPU-centric", but here's the situation that we're all in as consumers...

All we want is everything. Quality display. HDR. Streaming apps. Precision video control (brightness, contrast, etc.). Audio flexibility. Multiple inputs. WiFi. HDMI-CEC. Auto brightness. 4K upscaling. Wide zoom configurability. Echo and Google Home integration. Casting support. Auto firmware updates. The list goes on.

Every single one of these things is a piece of software. The OS isn't written by Sony and neither are most of the apps. Video and audio content is "supposed" to conform to standards, but it isn't always correct and needs to be fixed on the fly by the TV (or the app). The more pieces of software you put together, each with their own variables, the more complex the overall environment becomes. Every manufacturer today is able to support exactly what they shipped. And you get back to that point with a factory reset. Sadly, gone are the days when there is only one or two things that a consumer could do to a set to cause it to not operate as expected. Sony (as is the same with every other manufacturer) will fix issues that are THEIRS. But, the only way to determine if it's an issue with what Sony shipped or not is to purge everything that you did as a user because they simply can't write a manual to take you through all of the various troubleshooting steps that would be required.

As consumers, we have brought this situation on ourselves by demanding that all of this CRAP be included in our televisions in order for us to spend our money on it. We are the ones that have put the manufacturers in the position of not being able to support anything beyond the basic system they shipped in the first place.
You are correct in everything you say but it sure would be nice if Sony would provide a utility to save the major settings to an external device before doing the factory reset, especially if the first troubleshooting step will be do a factory reset. Alternatively if a factory reset is going to be a trouble shooting set provide the ability to do a temporary reset that can be used for trouble shooting only not as a permanent change after all trouble shooting should be exactly that.
DLCPhoto likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #18590 of 19274 Old 03-25-2019, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
You are correct in everything you say but it sure would be nice if Sony would provide a utility to save the major settings to an external device before doing the factory reset, especially if the first troubleshooting step will be do a factory reset. Alternatively if a factory reset is going to be a trouble shooting set provide the ability to do a temporary reset that can be used for trouble shooting only not as a permanent change after all trouble shooting should be exactly that.
I agree whole-heartedly. But, I'll take it a step further and say "It sure would be nice if GOOGLE would provide a utility to save the major settings." This is an issue with Android in general as there is NO provided backup mechanism. Period. The whole "back up settings to my account" is garbage and has never worked for me on any Android device. If you want to be able to back up your Android-based product, you have to either root it or buy a backup solution. And, I don't know if any of the ones available for phones would work with a TV.
post #18591 of 19274 Old 03-25-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're referring to as being "CPU-centric"
Any piece of gear that needs an operating system (such as Android, or Windows, or OSX, or IOS) to come alive is CPU-centric. The nine year old Toshiba I replaced with the Sony was not CPU-centric. When plugged in from a cold start, it displayed a logo, then immediately displayed the picture from the source. It did not need to 'boot up'. It had no apps. It just worked (and is still working for my stepson).

Quote:
The OS isn't written by Sony
While that is true, it is definitely customized by Sony to fit their particular hardware. The Android that's on my Samsung phone may be the same version number, but it is wildly different than what's been sent to my Sony TV because either Sony customized it, or they subcontracted that job to someone like Google. It is not off-the-shelf Android, just as what's on my phone isn't, either.

Quote:
The more pieces of software you put together, each with their own variables, the more complex the overall environment becomes. Every manufacturer today is able to support exactly what they shipped. And you get back to that point with a factory reset.
This is all true. But many current devices do weird things after an update even if the user didn't install a single additional app on it. Reloading the original feature set two years in is pretty much useless when the built-in apps will just update themselves with newer versions if it's one of the apps causing the problem in conflict with the update. And besides, the issues with the current update for some (not me so far) where it just refuses to use ARC with an external AVR is totally, completely, 100% Sony's fault since it has the same problem with every app. Since ARC is a very basic part of the feature set, the inescapable conclusion is that Sony did not do enough testing before releasing Android 8 to the TV.

While regressing to the way the system was two years ago may temporarily 'fix' issue(s), it is not by any means a long term solution.

And yes, by demanding endless apps and features, consumers are as much to blame as manufacturers for the complexity of the currently shipping consumer gear. But manufacturers are not blameless - they specify the absolutely lowest possible cost and powerful processing that will just work, and they don't allocate nearly enough resources to thorough testing before releasing original product or updates.
post #18592 of 19274 Old 03-25-2019, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I agree whole-heartedly. But, I'll take it a step further and say "It sure would be nice if GOOGLE would provide a utility to save the major settings. This is an issue with Android in general as there is NO provided backup mechanism. Period. The whole "back up settings to my account" is garbage and has never worked for me on any Android device. If you want to be able to back up your Android-based product, you have to either root it or buy a backup solution. And, I don't know if any of the ones available for phones would work with a TV.
Are TV settings part of the Android subsystem or do they exist separate from it? Meaning can Sony provide a tool just to save the picture settings.

But yes I agree Google needs to fix the ability to preserve Andriod settings before performing a factory reset AKA wipe.

Current system:
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #18593 of 19274 Old 03-25-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Any piece of gear that needs an operating system (such as Android, or Windows, or OSX, or IOS) to come alive is CPU-centric. The nine year old Toshiba I replaced with the Sony was not CPU-centric. When plugged in from a cold start, it displayed a logo, then immediately displayed the picture from the source. It did not need to 'boot up'. It had no apps. It just worked (and is still working for my stepson).
Your Toshiba not only has a CPU, but it does "boot up." The difference between a set from ten years ago and today is that the older sets had manufacturer-written firmware that was specific to the set. It was custom-developed for that specific configuration of hardware and was likely small enough that it could have been built directly into a custom chip as an ASIC (although this is cost-prohibitive). The fact that it is so small allows it to load super fast and appear like there's no software involved at all. If the TV had any kind of interface where you can change inputs, adjust color, or even adjust the volume.. software is involved.

Today's TV's do not use firmware - they use a full-fledged OS (Android, in this case) that can be customized by a manufacturer by removing pieces that have no bearing or hard-coding specific functions to work certain ways. Specific API's can be enabled or disabled based on what the manufacturer wants to provide.

Quote:
While that is true, it is definitely customized by Sony to fit their particular hardware. The Android that's on my Samsung phone may be the same version number, but it is wildly different than what's been sent to my Sony TV because either Sony customized it, or they subcontracted that job to someone like Google. It is not off-the-shelf Android, just as what's on my phone isn't, either.
Yup, absolutely right. When a manufacturer customizes Android, they know exactly what is enabled and disabled and how it should operate as a base. Adding apps to the environment, just like installing an application into Windows, can (and sometimes DOES) make changes to base files. These changes can interfere with the operation of the set and the only way to rule them out is to put the set back to factory settings and start again.

Quote:
This is all true. But many current devices do weird things after an update even if the user didn't install a single additional app on it. Reloading the original feature set two years in is pretty much useless when the built-in apps will just update themselves with newer versions if it's one of the apps causing the problem in conflict with the update. And besides, the issues with the current update for some (not me so far) where it just refuses to use ARC with an external AVR is totally, completely, 100% Sony's fault since it has the same problem with every app. Since ARC is a very basic part of the feature set, the inescapable conclusion is that Sony did not do enough testing before releasing Android 8 to the TV.
Again, completely true. If you were to NEVER customize anything on your set, install no apps, and never even configure a WiFi network, the chances of this situation occurring are almost zero. Why? Again, because any changes can change things that Sony isn't aware of. And, just like an unexpected change can interfere with operations of the set, the same can be said for various variables and such that need to be initialized or set to particular values as part of an update. Then again, combinations of variables set to opposing values or something can cause issues.

Quote:
While regressing to the way the system was two years ago may temporarily 'fix' issue(s), it is not by any means a long term solution.
Quite true. But it seems that no one is actually able to make this complaint with any sort of weight behind it. We can't tell Sony "create a backup solution or we're going to by Samsung's TV's" because Samsung doesn't have a solution either. We can't make the case to Google because, quite plainly, they don't care. And consumers simply do not "care" in bulk numbers about something like that in general (yes, many of us here do care about that - but we are the minority of users).

Quote:
And yes, by demanding endless apps and features, consumers are as much to blame as manufacturers for the complexity of the currently shipping consumer gear. But manufacturers are not blameless - they specify the absolutely lowest possible cost and powerful processing that will just work, and they don't allocate nearly enough resources to thorough testing before releasing original product or updates.
You need to make a choice here... Do you want a TV on a shelf that you can buy while it's relevant at a cost you will tolerate? If so, you have to deal with the "just enough" sort of build that hits the stores today. Otherwise, you'll never see a new set on a shelf at a price anyone would pay.
post #18594 of 19274 Old 03-25-2019, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are TV settings part of the Android subsystem or do they exist separate from it? Meaning can Sony provide a tool just to save the picture settings.

But yes I agree Google needs to fix the ability to preserve Andriod settings before performing a factory reset AKA wipe.
I'm not sure how to answer this very directly, so I'll say it this way...

Android is not aware of every possible device it could be installed on. So, it isn't like every possible variable exists in the OS and the manufacturers decide which ones to use. But, all of the settings are stored as part of the installed OS 'somewhere' so that the aspects that Sony has customized are able to access them and use them.
post #18595 of 19274 Old 03-25-2019, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm not sure how to answer this very directly, so I'll say it this way...

Android is not aware of every possible device it could be installed on. So, it isn't like every possible variable exists in the OS and the manufacturers decide which ones to use. But, all of the settings are stored as part of the installed OS 'somewhere' so that the aspects that Sony has customized are able to access them and use them.
I was kind of referring to how the X1 chip controls the display and customized using the display settings. It should be possible to save these setting separate from the OS settings. I would be surprised if these display settings were the cause of many/most of the power issues that people have. There should be a way to reset Android TV without also resetting all your display settings.

Just me spitballing.

Current system:
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #18596 of 19274 Old 03-25-2019, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was kind of referring to how the X1 chip controls the display and customized using the display settings. It should be possible to save these setting separate from the OS settings. I would be surprised if these display settings were the cause of many/most of the power issues that people have. There should be a way to reset Android TV without also resetting all your display settings.

Just me spitballing.
The problem is that everyone has the opportunity to decide what they want to call their variables and where to store them. There's no guarantee that Sony won't overwrite someone else and vice-versa. The only way to be sure you're back to "all Sony" is with a reset.

And, while backing up the settings would seem to be a reasonable step, you're still not guaranteed that you're not backing up something that another vendor stepped on with their app.
post #18597 of 19274 Old 03-25-2019, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
Just found a new problem, which *could* be related to the recent Oreo update:

My Google Home Mini now has problems working with the TV. Previously I could tell it to play music, and it would turn the TV on and play the content. Now it "tries" to but then says "something went wrong."

If I go to the Home App on my phone, I can see the Sony TV, but communication is incomplete. For example, there's the screen where you can control the volume, and the TV responds appropriately. But if I try to change the name, for example, it says "could not communicate with your Android TV."

If I try to play music, and select the TV, which shows as being available, it says "unable to play music on this device at the moment."

I can still cast the screen from my phone, cast YouTube onto the TV as well, so as I said, it partially works and partially doesn't.

I've done the usual trouble-shooting:

Updated the Chromecast Built-in App on the TV, after also clearing the cache and data.
Completely rebooted the TV using the long press of the On/Off button.
Completely rebooted the Home Mini by removing its power supply.
Cleared the cache and data on my Phone's Home app.
Removed the TV and re-added it in, using the Home App on my phone.

Basically, there now seems to be some problem in communication between Google Home and the TV. The Oreo update is one suspect, but it could also be an App update to the Home App driving the Mini.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Any other suggestions on fixing this?

Just reposting my original questions, lest it be lost in the side discussion about factory resets, OS backups, etc.

post #18598 of 19274 Old 03-25-2019, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I watched the Apple Keynote today and it was mentioned that AirPlay support will be coming to Sony TV's.

Any word on whether or not we'll be able to take advantage of this either via an Apple app or a firmware update to the 900E?
post #18599 of 19274 Old 03-26-2019, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Does anyone know if the optical output of the 49" x900E is active with the selected input's audio feed even when it's set up for an external AVR (ie. the internal speakers are turned off)?

I can't reach mine the way it's mounted, and before I take it off the wall to try it, I'd like to know if it's worth the effort.

Thanks.
Not sure I'm understanding the question. If the TV is set up to route sound to an AVR, that's the exact scenario when it would use the optical out. Why would it not be active?
post #18600 of 19274 Old 03-26-2019, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

Thanks.
I can tell you that yes optical will be active, however dolby digital will only work on some apps. Not all, ex:worked great with netflix but not HBO. I fought this battle for several months and finally reconnected my set via ARC to my yamaha rxa2040 and viola! DD+. Wished i had done this sooner.

Sony 65xbr900e, Sony UBP-X800, Pioneer DV-563A, Audio-technica AT-LP120USB,
Sony CDP-CX455, Teac AD-800,Yamaha Rx-A2040,
FL/FR Definitive Technology BP30's, center Def Tech Procenter 2000,
SR/SL Def Tech BP2X's, sub JBL PSW1200.
Bedroom pair of JBL L26's that still rock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page