2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 621 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40382Likes

post #18601 of 19200 Old 03-26-2019, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly33flyers View Post
So Dish Network is showing some games of the NCAA tournament in 4k. I'm watching through a Hopper 3 on channel 540-03 connected to a 75" x900e and noticed that the picture has always been weird (very cool, grayish, flat, etc) when watching 4k on this channel. I did some tinkering with the settings and noticed that if I changed the "Color Space" setting on the TV from "Auto" to "BT.2020" the color is perfect and showing as it should be as compared to the regular HD version of the channel.

My question is...why would the Auto setting not be picking the correct color space and is anyone else having this issue?

I've had issues in the past where the TV would not switch into HDR mode right away, but that was resolved by switching channels back and forth when they were showing the World Cup in 4k HDR.
The channel has to send the correct metadata to the TV, and probably isn’t. Maybe drop a note to DISH?

My Apple TV DirecTV app doesn’t auto switch between HDR and SDR content, so when set to HDR for the app menus, the app will not switch to SDR when content is streamed, like all my other streaming apps. NBC and Hulu for instance manages this just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18602 of 19200 Old 03-26-2019, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Hi guys, before the update I was able to hold down the home button and I could close some apps that were open in the background. Is there a way to do this now with the new update?

JVC DLA-RS1000, 120″ EluneVision Reference Studio AudioWeave 2.35:1 CinemaScope screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, Anthem MCA 525, Anthem MCA 225, Anthem PVA-4, Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers x4, Paradigm Prestige 95F, Paradigm Prestige 15B x4, Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Signature Sub 1, Panasonic UDP820 UHD player, OPPO 203 UHD player, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner, AC Infinity AIRCOM X4.
post #18603 of 19200 Old 03-26-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
Not sure I'm understanding the question. If the TV is set up to route sound to an AVR, that's the exact scenario when it would use the optical out. Why would it not be active?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko1 View Post
I can tell you that yes optical will be active, however dolby digital will only work on some apps. Not all, ex:worked great with netflix but not HBO. I fought this battle for several months and finally reconnected my set via ARC to my yamaha rxa2040 and viola! DD+. Wished i had done this sooner.
Sorry, I should have been more clear.

This has nothing to do specifically with getting audio from the built-in apps, or a substitute for ARC, or anything like that.

I would like to use the optical out to feed something else downstream, and I wanted to know if it was active at all times, or only under certain circumstances (like when using internal apps).

Same question for Bluetooth (while I'm on the subject). Does it always feed a pair of BT headphones regardless of what the configuration is (using internal apps, feeding an AVR through optical or ARC, etc.)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18604 of 19200 Old 03-26-2019, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Hello all,

Well believe it or not, I just purchased a new X900E, in the 75" variety. I am super stoked and can't wait for it to arrive! After considering new TV options for months, I was ready to wait another year to buy... however a good deal popped up for this set so I pulled the trigger! I am very excited for the larger set as my current TV is a 51" 720p Plasma (still works great though!).

Anyway, the point of this post is to kindly ask you guys for some direction as to where I should look for pointers when setting up, calibrating, etc. this TV. As this thread is now over 620 pages long, there is no way I have the time to go through every post to look for important details! If any of you would be so kind as to "recap" some of the big points I need to know regarding "hacks," updates, settings, etc.. I would be very grateful!!

Thanks in advance!
J

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
post #18605 of 19200 Old 03-26-2019, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
Sorry, I should have been more clear.

This has nothing to do specifically with getting audio from the built-in apps, or a substitute for ARC, or anything like that.

I would like to use the optical out to feed something else downstream, and I wanted to know if it was active at all times, or only under certain circumstances (like when using internal apps).

Same question for Bluetooth (while I'm on the subject). Does it always feed a pair of BT headphones regardless of what the configuration is (using internal apps, feeding an AVR through optical or ARC, etc.)?
If memeory serves me correctly, optical is only active when you select the tv to use external speakers (avr). Otherwise no.

Sony 65xbr900e, Sony UBP-X800, Pioneer DV-563A, Audio-technica AT-LP120USB,
Sony CDP-CX455, Teac AD-800,Yamaha Rx-A2040,
FL/FR Definitive Technology BP30's, center Def Tech Procenter 2000,
SR/SL Def Tech BP2X's, sub JBL PSW1200.
Bedroom pair of JBL L26's that still rock.
post #18606 of 19200 Old 03-26-2019, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyway, the point of this post is to kindly ask you guys for some direction as to where I should look for pointers when setting up, calibrating, etc. this TV.

As a service to 900E owners, Johnbrooke26 built this spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1399335173
p3trol_h3ad likes this.
post #18607 of 19200 Old 03-26-2019, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey peoples, i just noticed a "Sponsored" channel on my android tv interface, its very prominent and the first channel shown so that I cant see my top channels spotlight.

What is this garbage? How do i disable these ads on my expensive tv?
post #18608 of 19200 Old 03-27-2019, 05:51 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3trol_h3ad View Post
Hello all,

Well believe it or not, I just purchased a new X900E, in the 75" variety. I am super stoked and can't wait for it to arrive! After considering new TV options for months, I was ready to wait another year to buy... however a good deal popped up for this set so I pulled the trigger! I am very excited for the larger set as my current TV is a 51" 720p Plasma (still works great though!).

Anyway, the point of this post is to kindly ask you guys for some direction as to where I should look for pointers when setting up, calibrating, etc. this TV. As this thread is now over 620 pages long, there is no way I have the time to go through every post to look for important details! If any of you would be so kind as to "recap" some of the big points I need to know regarding "hacks," updates, settings, etc.. I would be very grateful!!

Thanks in advance!
J

First off, welcome.

A lot has changed since the days of Plasma, both good and bad. Answer these questions and then you'll be able to get the right calibration settings for your new TV:

1. What is the primary source (cable, FiOS, DirecTV, etc.)?

2. What do you watch the most (live sports, sitcoms, movies, etc.)?
post #18609 of 19200 Old 03-27-2019, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks in advance!
J
How much did that cost you ? I currently have a 65” and I’m thinking a 75” would be better
As far as picture settings , people here recommend the Rtings.com settings for this tv model
But I just use the standard default setting with a lower backlight and I have all the extra processing settings(motion) off
post #18610 of 19200 Old 03-27-2019, 06:49 AM

Is anybody here using this tv stand with the 65”

https://www.amazon.com/CorLiving-TBF...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I’m concerned with the top shelf bending in the middle since the tv legs are in the middle like a monitor
post #18611 of 19200 Old 03-27-2019, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatolays View Post
Is anybody here using this tv stand with the 65”

https://www.amazon.com/CorLiving-TBF...ct_top?ie=UTF8

I’m concerned with the top shelf bending in the middle since the tv legs are in the middle like a monitor
It's fiberboard and if you look closely at the different pictures there is a support at the back-middle of the top. It will be fine, particularly since the 65" only weighs 45 or so pounds.
Potatolays likes this.
post #18612 of 19200 Old 03-27-2019, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
First off, welcome.

A lot has changed since the days of Plasma, both good and bad. Answer these questions and then you'll be able to get the right calibration settings for your new TV:

1. What is the primary source (cable, FiOS, DirecTV, etc.)?

2. What do you watch the most (live sports, sitcoms, movies, etc.)?
Thanks! Heh, well of course I'm one of those people that only has one TV and uses it for everything so I guess "general use" would describe me best. I'd say that 90% of the TV's use is with a PS4, and 10% is using an OTA antenna (primarily for live sports). On the PS4 we probably do 50/50 between gaming and streaming (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu). Very little bluray watching to be honest, but it is occasional. I've never even seen HDR content so... this should be interesting lol.

Quote:
How much did that cost you ? I currently have a 65” and I’m thinking a 75” would be better
As far as picture settings , people here recommend the Rtings.com settings for this tv model
But I just use the standard default setting with a lower backlight and I have all the extra processing settings(motion) off
Well I don't believe we are supposed to talk prices in here but I'll just say that it was roughly half the price of a new X900F in the same size. That's why I jumped. When I first started looking I saw virtually no "E's" left in stock so never searched much for them. However, this listing popped up on eBay and I just happened to see it when searching for something else. It arrives any day now and hopefully it will be as listed (new, unopened)!

Sony MASTER Series | harman/kardon AVR | Klipsch Reference Premiere | KEF UniQ | PlayStation | Mohu Leaf | Hue Play | MediaLight | logitech Harmony | CyberPower PFC UPS
post #18613 of 19200 Old 03-27-2019, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapoktan View Post
Hey peoples, i just noticed a "Sponsored" channel on my android tv interface, its very prominent and the first channel shown so that I cant see my top channels spotlight.

What is this garbage? How do i disable these ads on my expensive tv?
YEa, they just pushed it out, No way to disable as of yet. Bloody disgrace.
dapoktan likes this.
post #18614 of 19200 Old 03-28-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Thanks! Heh, well of course I'm one of those people that only has one TV and uses it for everything so I guess "general use" would describe me best. I'd say that 90% of the TV's use is with a PS4, and 10% is using an OTA antenna (primarily for live sports). On the PS4 we probably do 50/50 between gaming and streaming (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu). Very little bluray watching to be honest, but it is occasional. I've never even seen HDR content so... this should be interesting lol.
Okay then, that's pretty easy.

For Live Sports and such, look at the spreadsheet and consider my settings (I'm one of the names across the columns). I got really good advice here and tweaked them slightly and am thrilled with the picture quality. Some are purists who are akin to setting the bass and treble to 0 where I like a little pop and my 900E settings reflect this slight elevation. After mine, play with others, you'll find something great.

For everything else- sounds like you are gaming and streaming- just use the Standard setting provided by Sony in the Picture Adjustments function. I think it looks terrific. It's not like the old days where TV makers used to saturate all the settings just to get attention at the wall at Best Buy. They carefully consider what they publish except for the Live Sports option which is a train wreck.

Let me know how it goes.

Last edited by boltjames; 03-28-2019 at 07:16 AM.
post #18615 of 19200 Old 03-28-2019, 07:58 AM

Liked: 14
I pulled the trigger on a refurbished 75 inch got a super low price. Hoping there are no issues with the device at delivery so I don't need to send it back.
post #18616 of 19200 Old 03-28-2019, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Okay then, that's pretty easy.

For Live Sports and such, look at the spreadsheet and consider my settings (I'm one of the names across the columns). I got really good advice here and tweaked them slightly and am thrilled with the picture quality. Some are purists who are akin to setting the bass and treble to 0 where I like a little pop and my 900E settings reflect this slight elevation. After mine, play with others, you'll find something great.

For everything else- sounds like you are gaming and streaming- just use the Standard setting provided by Sony in the Picture Adjustments function. I think it looks terrific. It's not like the old days where TV makers used to saturate all the settings just to get attention at the wall at Best Buy. They carefully consider what they publish except for the Live Sports option which is a train wreck.

Let me know how it goes.
Awesome, thanks! I'll definitely be hanging around, and I'll letcha know how it all goes.
boltjames likes this.

post #18617 of 19200 Old 03-28-2019, 09:30 AM

I would be nervous buying a used/refurbished tv, specially from eBay
post #18618 of 19200 Old 03-28-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
I watched the Apple Keynote today and it was mentioned that AirPlay support will be coming to Sony TV's.

Any word on whether or not we'll be able to take advantage of this either via an Apple app or a firmware update to the 900E?
I've used AirScreen (Play store app) to screen mirror Apple devices. Works well and it's free.
post #18619 of 19200 Old 03-28-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I would be nervous buying a used/refurbished tv, specially from eBay
It was from secondipity. I've heard they get their refurbs from Sony, and they also have a return policy if I'm not happy with it after a day or 2. For the price I got it was worth the potential hassle.
post #18620 of 19200 Old 03-28-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
I've used AirScreen (Play store app) to screen mirror Apple devices. Works well and it's free.
I’ll give it a try. Thanks!
post #18621 of 19200 Old 03-30-2019, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I searched the thread and couldn't find a definitive answer, so sorry if this has been answered. I bought a Sony STR-DN1080 AVR a few weeks ago and have it connected to my 65" 900E via HDMI3/ARC. I have my Xbox One X connected to the Game Port on the AVR, and have CEC enabled. When I turn on the TV, the AVR turns on. That's what I want. Sometimes though I need to turn off the AVR because people want to sleep. When I turn the AVR off, I see the pop-up that sound is switching to the TV speakers. However, sometimes instead of sound I get static/garbled sound through the TV speakers. The picture is fine. If I then switch back to the AVR, the sound is still garbled. If I quit to the Xbox One X home screen, the sound on the home screen is normal. If I shut down the game, I can re-open it and the sound is fine. But that means quitting the game, and if I haven't saved, I lose progress. Not the end of the world, but an inconvenience.

I THOUGHT I read on this thread that Dolby Atmos won't be passed via ARC on our TVS, at least not loseless, and it requires eARC that is in the newer Sonys. That's why the Xbox is connected directly, as I use it as my UHD Blu-Ray player and want full lossless Dolby Atmos. Otherwise I'd connect Xbox to TV, and then only have to pass an audio signal from TV to AVR for Surround/Atmos.

Can someone confirm my suspicion?

Xbox: Deezul
Sony XBR-65X900E, Sony XBR-49X900E
Go Jackets!
post #18622 of 19200 Old 03-30-2019, 06:30 PM

So I got my tv in yesterday and I initially had some motion issues with native Android TV Netflix. I watched punisher 4k on Netflix and noticed some strange motion issue, then watched some office and it kept doing it. Not sure if it was like a repeated/dripped frame that was happening occasionally or what? This was watching it within 15 minutes of unboxing. I'm not sure if maybe Android was updating something at that point? I switched to roku 4k and the motion issues went away. I switched back later and the motion issues werent noticable.
post #18623 of 19200 Old 03-31-2019, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
I searched the thread and couldn't find a definitive answer, so sorry if this has been answered. I bought a Sony STR-DN1080 AVR a few weeks ago and have it connected to my 65" 900E via HDMI3/ARC. I have my Xbox One X connected to the Game Port on the AVR, and have CEC enabled. When I turn on the TV, the AVR turns on. That's what I want. Sometimes though I need to turn off the AVR because people want to sleep. When I turn the AVR off, I see the pop-up that sound is switching to the TV speakers. However, sometimes instead of sound I get static/garbled sound through the TV speakers. The picture is fine. If I then switch back to the AVR, the sound is still garbled. If I quit to the Xbox One X home screen, the sound on the home screen is normal. If I shut down the game, I can re-open it and the sound is fine. But that means quitting the game, and if I haven't saved, I lose progress. Not the end of the world, but an inconvenience.

I THOUGHT I read on this thread that Dolby Atmos won't be passed via ARC on our TVS, at least not loseless, and it requires eARC that is in the newer Sonys. That's why the Xbox is connected directly, as I use it as my UHD Blu-Ray player and want full lossless Dolby Atmos. Otherwise I'd connect Xbox to TV, and then only have to pass an audio signal from TV to AVR for Surround/Atmos.

Can someone confirm my suspicion?

Instead of turning off the AVR, couldn't you mute the sound?

PSN BradCompany
post #18624 of 19200 Old 03-31-2019, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan456 View Post
Its is the end of march and I still have not received the update either.
Apparently they pulled the update.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
What update and why did they pull it. Also I think my interpolation is broken. I swapped from game mode to custom or other with it on but I didnt notice any difference unless I got use to it or something. Also the input also feels the same.
post #18625 of 19200 Old 03-31-2019, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Watched Into the Spider-Verse on UHD Blu-Ray on my 900E this weekend and man what a beautiful picture. Still loving mine, even years later.
steve1971 and subacabra like this.
post #18626 of 19200 Old 03-31-2019, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey everybody, I recently moved and along the way the screws needed to attach the stand that it came with to my tv was lost. I was hoping somebody here would know what size is used so I can buy replacements.

I have looked online with no answers, so thank you for any help.
Hetfieldjames likes this.
post #18627 of 19200 Old 04-01-2019, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 40

Finally watched my first live sporting even in 4k on my 900 e. The phillies vs the braves, what an amazing experience!! The picture was crystal clear, felt like I was there. How I wish more MLB games were broadcasted in 4K! Wish Yankee games were broadcasted in 4K.
post #18628 of 19200 Old 04-01-2019, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks in advance!
J
There was a google docs spread sheet created by people who have purchased the 900 e with all different types of calibrations. Here is the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1399335173

Enjoy your TV it really is a solid display.
post #18629 of 19200 Old 04-01-2019, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abriebo94 View Post
Hey everybody, I recently moved and along the way the screws needed to attach the stand that it came with to my tv was lost. I was hoping somebody here would know what size is used so I can buy replacements.

I have looked online with no answers, so thank you for any help.

I looked at the setup instructions for my 900E and works for 55" - 75" models. The screw is an M5L12 for the stand into the TV. The screws that hold the stand together are M4L6.

I found this link https://sony.encompass.com/item/1065.../4-581-408-01/ but I'm sure you can get them cheaper.
DougDingle likes this.

Last edited by iraweiss; 04-01-2019 at 07:22 AM.
post #18630 of 19200 Old 04-01-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan456 View Post
Finally watched my first live sporting even in 4k on my 900 e. The phillies vs the braves, what an amazing experience!! The picture was crystal clear, felt like I was there. How I wish more MLB games were broadcasted in 4K! Wish Yankee games were broadcasted in 4K.
What was your source (DISH, DirecTV, etc.)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page