2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 622 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40392Likes

post #18631 of 19243 Old 04-01-2019, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan456 View Post
Finally watched my first live sporting even in 4k on my 900 e. The phillies vs the braves, what an amazing experience!! The picture was crystal clear, felt like I was there. How I wish more MLB games were broadcasted in 4K! Wish Yankee games were broadcasted in 4K.
What was your source (DISH, DirecTV, etc.)?
Fubo TV through my roku 4k box. There are other devices that are compatible with fubo TV, they are listed on their website. I signed up for a one week free trial. They have a 4k mlb baseball game on every Saturday for the month of April starting at 4pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18632 of 19243 Old 04-01-2019, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan456 View Post
Fubo TV through my roku 4k box. There are other devices that are compatible with fubo TV, they are listed on their website. I signed up for a one week free trial. They have a 4k mlb baseball game on every Saturday for the month of April starting at 4pm.
This is when 4K is likely going to really take off. When 4K sports broadcasts become the norm, it will be a game changer. Movies look great in 4K, but it's really HDR that makes a difference. 1080p films in HDR look just as good to me from the same viewing distance. But sports with all the fast motion, zooms, close-ups, instant replays, etc. will shine compared with the 1080i or 720p feeds the majority receive.
post #18633 of 19243 Old 04-01-2019, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS View Post
Yeah, I didn't think it affected everyone given Sony says "an issue may occur..." I just saw it and figured I'd post it. Since I run all my audio straight to my receiver (not from the TV itself), I assume I would not be affected. I am more intrigued by the "next update" and what it may contain/fix/enhance. Some on here have reported that their 900e has been routinely freezing during the bouncing Android dots when turned on after the recent update and the only fix is to unplug it from the wall to reboot. Hopefully the next update addresses that as well.
My 900 e 75" only froze once after the update and has not had the issue again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18634 of 19243 Old 04-01-2019, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman View Post
Instead of turning off the AVR, couldn't you mute the sound?
Not if I'm using CEC. I can turn CEC off, but then I'm either using two remotes or setting up two Harmony Activities, one when I mute AVR and control TV volume, and another when I mute TV and control AVR volume. And that means having 2 activities for every device I have connected - Xbox One, TV apps, and Comcast box. I did that before with my old receiver, and part of the allure of CEC was NOT having to have separate tasks. Instead I just have to turn the receiver off if I don't want AVR sound.

Xbox: Deezul
Sony XBR-65X900E, Sony XBR-49X900E
Go Jackets!
post #18635 of 19243 Old 04-02-2019, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
This is when 4K is likely going to really take off. When 4K sports broadcasts become the norm, it will be a game changer. Movies look great in 4K, but it's really HDR that makes a difference. 1080p films in HDR look just as good to me from the same viewing distance. But sports with all the fast motion, zooms, close-ups, instant replays, etc. will shine compared with the 1080i or 720p feeds the majority receive.

4K (streaming) will never take off even with sports due to the high price and low universal availability of high speed internet. I'd say it will become very popular when sports is broadcast OTA in 4K. I'm over 50, and I don't think I'll see much 4K OTA in the time I have left. (Maybe in big cities, but not over farm land.) Shoot, I don't know of any streaming service that even does sports in 5.1 sound, but 4K HDR live sports, no way.

I'm just fine with 1080i, 5.1 DD sound OTA for NFL and College BB games, but you can dream on.
post #18636 of 19243 Old 04-02-2019, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfid View Post
4K (streaming) will never take off even with sports due to the high price and low universal availability of high speed internet. I'd say it will become very popular when sports is broadcast OTA in 4K. I'm over 50, and I don't think I'll see much 4K OTA in the time I have left. (Maybe in big cities, but not over farm land.) Shoot, I don't know of any streaming service that even does sports in 5.1 sound, but 4K HDR live sports, no way.

I'm just fine with 1080i, 5.1 DD sound OTA for NFL and College BB games, but you can dream on.
My Internet from Charter Cable at 100/10 easily supports several 4K with HDR and DD+ sound streams.

Looking at the data rates consumed by my Amazon Fire 2nd Generation box, for example, streaming a 4K show with HDR and DD+ on Netflix or Amazon Prime, the data rate for very good looking images with no buffering at all runs around 12-18 MB/sec. Aside from initial program loading, I never, ever see any buffering with 4K content. That H.265 codec is just magic.

I do live in a major metropolitan area, so I do get that not everyone gets those speeds for now, but there's a reason lots of people (including me) pay Netflix the extra few dollars a month for 4K content.

It's not logical to say "4K (streaming) will never take off." That ship has already sailed.
Ricoflashback and Isalechips like this.
post #18637 of 19243 Old 04-02-2019, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
how is is a Soundbar HDMI Arc with this tv , does it work 100% or better to use optical ?
post #18638 of 19243 Old 04-02-2019, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
My Internet from Charter Cable at 100/10 easily supports several 4K with HDR and DD+ sound streams.

Looking at the data rates consumed by my Amazon Fire 2nd Generation box, for example, streaming a 4K show with HDR and DD+ on Netflix or Amazon Prime, the data rate for very good looking images with no buffering at all runs around 12-18 MB/sec. Aside from initial program loading, I never, ever see any buffering with 4K content. That H.265 codec is just magic.

I do live in a major metropolitan area, so I do get that not everyone gets those speeds for now, but there's a reason lots of people (including me) pay Netflix the extra few dollars a month for 4K content.

It's not logical to say "4K (streaming) will never take off." That ship has already sailed.
4K streaming of movies and the like is here today, 4K streaming of sports is entirely another thing.

- Problem 1:the production chain at the games needs to be upgraded to handle 4K data, from the cameras to the production truck.
- Problem 2: the real-time processing of the data stream. I can stream a 4K movie on my DSL with no issues but even streaming a 1080P hockey game challenges my bandwidth with frequent buffering. It seems that the live sports stream is not as optimized as the movie or TV stream. Until they solve this 4K streaming of

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #18639 of 19243 Old 04-02-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1823 Post(s)
Liked: 1282
Quote:

***Touche. While there is not much 4K-HDR streaming (see below), there is a a lot of 4K streaming via Netflix and Amazon Prime. And to me, the picture is outstanding. I can understand the OP's point about the lack of high internet data speeds outside of major metropolitan areas. And, the fact that it will take time for 4K-HDR broadcasts of major sporting events (five to ten years?) via ATSC 3.0 to reach out to households. But even if you're in your late fifties - - I believe in ten years that you will see many sporting events delivered via streaming or OTA or streaming via 5G.

Personally, I'd be happy with live sports like I get currently via OTA in 1080i. Both my Sony 900E and Sony 900F do an incredible job of upscaling this signal into an incredibly pristine and clear picture.

2019 Masters Golf Tournament in 4K-HDR from Directv:

https://tvanswerman.com/2019/04/02/d...ers-in-4k-hdr/

Interesting article on HDMI Data Rates for 4K HDR:

http://community.cedia.net/blogs/dav...tes-for-4k-hdr

And...the future of broadcast TV - ATSC 3.0:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...k-dolby-atmos/

https://www.displaydaily.com/article...than-you-think

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #18640 of 19243 Old 04-02-2019, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
4K streaming of movies and the like is here today, 4K streaming of sports is entirely another thing.

- Problem 1:the production chain at the games needs to be upgraded to handle 4K data, from the cameras to the production truck.
- Problem 2: the real-time processing of the data stream. I can stream a 4K movie on my DSL with no issues but even streaming a 1080P hockey game challenges my bandwidth with frequent buffering. It seems that the live sports stream is not as optimized as the movie or TV stream. Until they solve this 4K streaming of
The production chain for network games (not the small trucks doing backhaul pickups to the visiting city) is already more or less 4K capable. No big time truck doing network feeds uses anything but 4K-ready fiber feeds from cameras and the booth to the truck. From there it goes to the satellites, where the first round of compression (of many) is added. It's a matter of investing the money to upgrade everything to 4K. Almost all TV episodics (hour long series) shoot and edit in 4K or higher, have for several years now.

I agree that right now, the will isn't there because there's no point in shooting in 4K when the feed ends up mostly OTA or on cable, where the requirements are 1080 or 720 for now. But the same was said of HD in 2000 when the first HD camcorder shipped from Sony (the F900), and while the ramp-up was relatively slow, once it got moving the HD transition was breathtakingly fast right across the entertainment spectrum. I was spending big money on HD gear in 2003, at least two years before I thought I would have to do so. 4K will be similar, although I don't see the OTA stations rushing into it - they're still making payments on their HD upgrades.

Most 4K sporting events are currently trial runs for later analysis by both the people supplying the trucks and the networks.

The data stream processing is improving by leaps and bounds. Games like hockey and basketball, where the action is fast and furious, need a lot more processing and bigger bandwidth, but I would be surprised if the relatively low data rates of DSL will ever be able to accommodate those sports in 4K without a ton of compression being applied.

And in case people missed it, Frys is selling 8K Samsung sets right now. I'm so glad I've mostly retired and don't have to concern myself with that insanity (from the production end) any longer.

Last edited by DougDingle; 04-02-2019 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Added "or higher" about shooting episodics in 4K
post #18641 of 19243 Old 04-02-2019, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

RE: DougDingle - "And in case people missed it, Frys is selling 8K Samsung sets right now. I'm so glad I've mostly retired and don't have to concern myself with that insanity (from the production end) any longer."

But wait....if you order now, we'll put your on the priority list for the new 16K Samsung set to be announced soon.....
steve1971 and clayky like this.

Home Theater Setup
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
post #18642 of 19243 Old 04-02-2019, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
RE: DougDingle - "And in case people missed it, Frys is selling 8K Samsung sets right now. I'm so glad I've mostly retired and don't have to concern myself with that insanity (from the production end) any longer."

But wait....if you order now, we'll put your on the priority list for the new 16K Samsung set to be announced soon.....
You know there's already one running in some form in the Samsung and LG labs in Korea, just as Sony no doubt has a 16K prototype running in Japan...

What I wish they were spending more time and money on is real proper 4K/8K projectors for cinema (not home) use. A 60 foot screen is ideal for 4K/8K/16K images. Most cinema projectors are currently 2K or 2.8K.

I've seen one feature (Furious 7) presented to an invited industry audience by Dolby at the Hollywood Chinese Theater projected in quasi-8K with Dolby Vision, and it was breathtaking. I say quasi-8K because it was two custom (Christie? I don't remember) 4K projectors aligned so that they were offset by half a pixel for an effective 8K projection resolution. There was also about 30 channels of audio. Talk about immersive...
mattg3 and BJHebert like this.
post #18643 of 19243 Old 04-02-2019, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatolays View Post
how is is a Soundbar HDMI Arc with this tv , does it work 100% or better to use optical ?
I got the vizio 5.1 soundbar and every time I try to use ARC it works fine sometimes but occasionally I get lip sync issues. I switched back to optical.
Potatolays likes this.
post #18644 of 19243 Old 04-03-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You know there's already one running in some form in the Samsung and LG labs in Korea, just as Sony no doubt has a 16K prototype running in Japan...

What I wish they were spending more time and money on is real proper 4K/8K projectors for cinema (not home) use. A 60 foot screen is ideal for 4K/8K/16K images. Most cinema projectors are currently 2K or 2.8K.

I've seen one feature (Furious 7) presented to an invited industry audience by Dolby at the Hollywood Chinese Theater projected in quasi-8K with Dolby Vision, and it was breathtaking. I say quasi-8K because it was two custom (Christie? I don't remember) 4K projectors aligned so that they were offset by half a pixel for an effective 8K projection resolution. There was also about 30 channels of audio. Talk about immersive...
***Last summer while I was semi-retired, I had the chance to visit multiple theaters in the greater Denver area to watch movies. I was surprised at the lack of clarity and picture quality. Yes, the sound was nice but not as good as my home theater - - especially for dialogue & vocals. Since our master plan is to move to the Caribbean in 2 1/2 to 3 years - - I'm rooting for UST 4K Laser Projector improvements. I won't have the same sound system (space issues) but soundbars and even smaller Atmos systems are getting better all the time. Plus - - we'll be out and about with all the good weather and proximity to the beach.

Home Theater Setup
post #18645 of 19243 Old 04-03-2019, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello to you all. I just bought 65XF9005 to replace my 55W905 from 2013. I thought that had a great picture, but wow. This XF is just brilliant. I had my eyes on this one for a while and when a local dealer dropped the price I had to get it.
I had a fair amount of problems setting this one up. Denon 1713 reciever and ARC returns sound and picture, but if watching Netflix, the sound is weird, like it’s 5 times sped up. I know thos Denon is not 4k ready, so maybe that’s it. Then my laptopis connect ed via HDMI to denon and from there to TV. Duplicate display is impossible to get - tv goes black in this mode, only extended display works.
So I use optical cable from tv to reciever, that works (yeah I know, i lose some quality) and laptop to TV with HDMI and it works. Might need to update my Denon soon, but for now it will do.

Last edited by Alex70; 04-04-2019 at 04:50 AM.
post #18646 of 19243 Old 04-04-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
65" X900E purchase opportunity... should I?

Hello. I wanted to get feedback from the owner community. I've got a local used panel purchase opportunity for this model in the 65" size. Almost 1 and 1/4 year old, but with a transferable extended warranty for an additional 2 & 3/4 years (might actually be 3 & 3/4 years).

Supposedly in "perfect" condition, no issues, etc. Seller looking to upgrade to a larger size panel or so they say.

Would you jump on it for say, $900 to $1000?

This would go to an elderly family member who watches non-4K Direct TV content, including dramas, daily news & educational shows & "reality" survival/law enforcement type shows, plus lots of sports and a fair amount of older 90's to 2000's mysteries from one of the PBS stations.

Also, a once a week Netflix dvd or blu-ray film (very few blockbusters, mostly foreign and serious films).

They'd be coming from a decade old 50" Samsung plasma now and aren't too discerning about image quality. Looking at this Sony over options from TCL, Samsung, etc., mainly for the supposedly better Sony processing since he does watch enough lesser quality content to warrant it.

Thoughts?
post #18647 of 19243 Old 04-04-2019, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
Hello. I wanted to get feedback from the owner community. I've got a local used panel purchase opportunity for this model in the 65" size. Almost 1 and 1/4 year old, but with a transferable extended warranty for an additional 2 & 3/4 years (might actually be 3 & 3/4 years).

Supposedly in "perfect" condition, no issues, etc. Seller looking to upgrade to a larger size panel or so they say.

This would go to an elderly family member who watches non-4K Direct TV content, including dramas, daily news & educational shows & "reality" survival/law enforcement type shows, plus lots of sports and a fair amount of older 90's to 2000's mysteries from one of the PBS stations.

Also, a once a week Netflix dvd or blu-ray film (very few blockbusters, mostly foreign and serious films).

They'd be coming from a decade old 50" Samsung plasma now and aren't too discerning about image quality. Looking at this Sony over options from TCL, Samsung, etc., mainly for the supposedly better Sony processing since he does watch enough lesser quality content to warrant it.

Thoughts?
I personally wouldn't touch it at that price point. Do your research and see what you can buy a brand new one for - you might be surprised as they are still out there (Amazon currently has them as but one example). Square Trade four year warranty for it is under $100 at Costco.

Unfortunately, tech doesn't hold its value for long because of the rapid pace of replacement and advancement. This model is two years old at this point, and I'd be looking for that set to be half of what you suggested or even less.
CruelInventions likes this.
post #18648 of 19243 Old 04-04-2019, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

Thoughts?
i too agree with the previous post. if the viewer isn't super discerning, i'd value warranty over having a potentially better panel. if one buys at Costco with the Citicard, that automatically amounts to a 3 year warranty (1 for TV + 2 from the card)... there should be several 4k TVs at $1000 or less
post #18649 of 19243 Old 04-04-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
I personally wouldn't touch it at that price point. Do your research and see what you can buy a brand new one for - you might be surprised as they are still out there (Amazon currently has them as but one example). Square Trade four year warranty for it is under $100 at Costco.

Unfortunately, tech doesn't hold its value for long because of the rapid pace of replacement and advancement. This model is two years old at this point, and I'd be looking for that set to be half of what you suggested or even less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
i too agree with the previous post. if the viewer isn't super discerning, i'd value warranty over having a potentially better panel. if one buys at Costco with the Citicard, that automatically amounts to a 3 year warranty (1 for TV + 2 from the card)... there should be several 4k TVs at $1000 or less
Thanks for the feedback.

While he isn't too discerning, I'm concerned about the known lesser processing capability of the other brand options given how much non-4K content he watches. This I could potentially see making a real if not necessarily huge difference for his daily viewing.

As far as value, same model new w/ extended warranty vs used w/ extended residual warranty, if I'm able to get the used for $900 with another 3 years of extended warranty, that's by my calculation a 40% savings over the current available new option for the same panel w/ a ST added warranty. Seems like a good value play. If there were no transferable warranty, then for sure I would pass at that $900 price.
post #18650 of 19243 Old 04-04-2019, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

While he isn't too discerning, I'm concerned about the known lesser processing capability of the other brand options given how much non-4K content he watches. This I could potentially see making a real if not necessarily huge difference for his daily viewing.

As far as value, same model new w/ extended warranty vs used w/ extended residual warranty, if I'm able to get the used for $900 with another 3 years of extended warranty, that's by my calculation a 40% savings over the current available new option for the same panel w/ a ST added warranty. Seems like a good value play. If there were no transferable warranty, then for sure I would pass at that $900 price.
the 900e certainly has an amazing upscaler so i see your point of view. as you suggest, if you can manage to get a warranty on the unit that is valid and extendable to 3 years, then it might be a great value.
post #18651 of 19243 Old 04-04-2019, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just want to chime in that if I could get someone to buy my 65" 900E for $800-$900, I'd gladly unload it and look at a 65" 900F, and find an open box model that wouldn't be but a few hundred extra dollars. I'm happy with the onboard apps, and would love to be able to use the built in apps that decode Atmos versus going through my Xbox. Plus getting Dolby Vision would be nice.

I don't mind the extra steps for Atmos, but my girlfriend does.

Go Jackets!
post #18652 of 19243 Old 04-04-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

Warranty and Extended Warranty are not the same thing. Warranty will essentially get you a refurbished 900e or better direct from Sony for all but the simplest of repairs. That isn't an option on this set.

Extended Warranty seems to mostly get you back your purchase price (or a portion of it) as many don't really attempt any repairs. Additionally, the criteria for deeming a set unrepairable may be quite a bit more stringent than the original warranty. Additionally, there's a reasonable chance you'll be shipping the set out for review, so having the original box would be extremely useful.

I absolutely NEVER take into consideration anything but the item itself when valuing it for sale or purchase. And, while the TV may "look" perfect, you genuinely don't know if the panel were ever stressed or if the set were jarred or similar. When you value an item, it should typically be priced within about 10% of any competitors. And, having a warranty would increase its VALUE, not its price.

Go buy the 850F from Costco if you want this sort of set but brand new and with better coverage. The 850F isn't the same set internally, but it would be a great panel for someone that "isn't too discerning" while having an awesome upscaling engine.
post #18653 of 19243 Old 04-04-2019, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post

Extended Warranty seems to mostly get you back your purchase price (or a portion of it) as many don't really attempt any repairs. Additionally, the criteria for deeming a set unrepairable may be quite a bit more stringent than the original warranty. Additionally, there's a reasonable chance you'll be shipping the set out for review, so having the original box would be extremely useful.
Thanks,you raised some interesting points.

Specific to extended warranty policies, not sure how the ABT warranty stacks up against the likes of Square Trade and Best Buy. In Illinois, where I am, this is the gist of it:

Quote:
Abt Extended Protection Plan
Extended Protection Plan (Chicagoland)

No Deductible
Repairs done by Abt's expert technicians
Parts & labor 100% covered to the full purchase price
Coverage begins at time of original pick-up or delivery date
Completely transferable
Power surge protection
One number to call for service - 847.544.2000
More Details Here
post #18654 of 19243 Old 04-04-2019, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, need some help.

I've owned my x900e for almost 2 years. Never had any audio issues. Just recently my center channel of my 5.1 setup is going in and out. The dialogue is pretty much inaudible and the surround sound is muffled. Sounds like I'm under water.

I'm connected to a 5.1 Yamaha receiver via ARC. It only is affected in the TV apps like YouTube and Netflix. If I run things through my Xbox as an input, everything works fine.

I appreciate any help with that. Thanks!
post #18655 of 19243 Old 04-04-2019, 09:36 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
ARC just completely died today thanks to Oreo 8.0. It had been working fine for the past few weeks, but I guess something in the 8.0 update caught up w/ me. #RIPARC
post #18656 of 19243 Old 04-05-2019, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex70 View Post
Hello to you all. I just bought 65XF9005 to replace my 55W905 from 2013. I thought that had a great picture, but wow. This XF is just brilliant. I had my eyes on this one for a while and when a local dealer dropped the price I had to get it.
I had a fair amount of problems setting this one up. Denon 1713 reciever and ARC returns sound and picture, but if watching Netflix, the sound is weird, like it’s 5 times sped up. I know thos Denon is not 4k ready, so maybe that’s it. Then my laptopis connect ed via HDMI to denon and from there to TV. Duplicate display is impossible to get - tv goes black in this mode, only extended display works.
So I use optical cable from tv to reciever, that works (yeah I know, i lose some quality) and laptop to TV with HDMI and it works. Might need to update my Denon soon, but for now it will do.
After 3 days of trying different things and searching internet for a hint, I started trying all the different settings on tv.
And Voila, settings-sound-digital sound output. Auto1 was checked, tried Auto2 and same problem with ARC and Netflix, but then tried PCM and that did the trick. All sound are go.
Just in case someone is having similar problems.
post #18657 of 19243 Old 04-07-2019, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I just got a new soundbar Samsung ms650

In the tv sound setting there’s one called “digital audio out” with the option hdmi1, hdmi2 and pcm

Which option should I use ? I’m using optical cable and won’t be using the surround sound option on the soundbar
post #18658 of 19243 Old 04-07-2019, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
Just want to chime in that if I could get someone to buy my 65" 900E for $800-$900, I'd gladly unload it and look at a 65" 900F, and find an open box model that wouldn't be but a few hundred extra dollars. I'm happy with the onboard apps, and would love to be able to use the built in apps that decode Atmos versus going through my Xbox. Plus getting Dolby Vision would be nice.

I don't mind the extra steps for Atmos, but my girlfriend does.
I personally wouldn’t want to play the panel lottery for such a small upgrade. DV at its current state is lackluster, imo.
post #18659 of 19243 Old 04-08-2019, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majcric View Post
I personally wouldn’t want to play the panel lottery for such a small upgrade. DV at its current state is lackluster, imo.
I'm more interested in the Dolby Atmos processing through the on board apps, since I then don't have to use my Xbox for Netflix and Amazon. I couldn't get Atmos passthrough to work in my 30 minutes of testing this weekend, and lost sound completely when switching between AVR and TV speakers.

Go Jackets!
post #18660 of 19243 Old 04-08-2019, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I never updated my sony 55xbr 900e, lost out?

Hi, I never updated my sony 55xbr 900e tv. I have lurked many times and saw people who did some never had problems and some had serious complaints about the updates. Recently I have seen that there was the oreo update for the android tv which has been put on hold cause of problems with the update.

So I have not done it cause people have said if you are not have problems do not do update. Again have I lost out on any of these updates. O sure have I had problems streaming wireless and drops sure. Do I do amazon, netflix no. I basically watch mlb and youtube video and one or two other apps. I have used roku on it too.

Once the oreo update or whatever they send out if fixed. Should I do the updates. I am not a TV expert.
appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page