2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 623 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40324Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #18661 of 18900 Old 04-08-2019, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
steve1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota.
Posts: 2,814
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by manoflr View Post
Hi, I never updated my sony 55xbr 900e tv. I have lurked many times and saw people who did some never had problems and some had serious complaints about the updates. Recently I have seen that there was the oreo update for the android tv which has been put on hold cause of problems with the update.

So I have not done it cause people have said if you are not have problems do not do update. Again have I lost out on any of these updates. O sure have I had problems streaming wireless and drops sure. Do I do amazon, netflix no. I basically watch mlb and youtube video and one or two other apps. I have used roku on it too.

Once the oreo update or whatever they send out if fixed. Should I do the updates. I am not a TV expert.
appreciated

Update your 900e only if you feel you need to. I update mine every time an update roll's out and knock on wood I have yet to experience any issue's. My 900e has run perfectly since I bought it in January of last year and again I have done every update that has rolled out. The new Oreo update is nice and I like the new layout but I never use my tv's internal app's so as soon as I update I turn off my Tv's wifi. I do all my streaming through my Sony x800 4K Blu ray player or my Comcast 4K cable box. But update if you want. Its up to you.
KONICA TECH likes this.
steve1971 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #18662 of 18900 Old 04-09-2019, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
Gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post
Hi guys, before the update I was able to hold down the home button and I could close some apps that were open in the background. Is there a way to do this now with the new update?
Nobody?

JVC DLA-RS1000, Elunevision 120" 2:35 Cinemascope AT screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, OPPO UDP-203, Anthem MCA 525, Anthem MCA 225, Anthem PVA-4, 4x Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers, Paradigm Prestige 95F, Paradigm Prestige 15B x4, Paradigm Prestige 55c, Paradigm Signature Sub 1, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner.
Gates is offline  
post #18663 of 18900 Old 04-09-2019, 10:07 AM
Senior Member
 
400MHz MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 430
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post
Nobody?
Try installing an app called "Background Apps and Process List"

Found this in the play store:

Google Play Store > Home > Tools and Utilities (category that is all the way at the bottom)
400MHz MAN is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #18664 of 18900 Old 04-09-2019, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
vapore0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post
Nobody?
press the home button twice, or something like that.


Thats what I do on the Shield, which also has Oreo installed

Samsung LN46A650, Core 2 Duo E6400, HD4850, MSI 945P NEO3-F, 4GB PC2-6400, Harmony 659
vapore0n is offline  
post #18665 of 18900 Old 04-10-2019, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mac128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 930
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majcric View Post
I personally wouldn’t want to play the panel lottery for such a small upgrade. DV at its current state is lackluster, imo.
I agree with this sentiment. I don't see DV being with the investment at this stage. And the 2019 Sony models are going to have Apple AirPlay capability, which may require better processors due to Apple's requirements. Better to wait for at least the next generation models at this point.
Mac128 is offline  
post #18666 of 18900 Old 04-10-2019, 02:55 PM
Senior Member
 
TommyDeVito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
I agree with this sentiment. I don't see DV being with the investment at this stage. And the 2019 Sony models are going to have Apple AirPlay capability, which may require better processors due to Apple's requirements. Better to wait for at least the next generation models at this point.

I don't get why Airplay on a TV is such a big deal at all. A 4k ATV is $179. You can then Airplay to your hearts desire with a phone, Ipad, macbook, whatever. It's silly to me, to have the panel manus put all this software, apps, and bs into the tv, when most people are going to just going to buy some kind of streaming box anyhow. To me or imo, Sony, Samsung, LG, etc, should focus on PQ and make the TV's dumb. It would would immediately drop the price on the panels whether LCD, QLED, OLED, etc much more than what an ATV, ROKU or whatever else cost. Then maybe the tv companies could put more money and effort into making solid panels with pq, black levels, etc. If the TV's were dumb then software updates would be much less of a concern. I run 4 tv's in the household. I have to at least be aware of the software rev on the TV, the UHD player, the soundbar or AVR, the ATV for each setup. I look at my router for connected devices and it's just silly. Reminds me of OEM navigation in a vehicle. Having to update that every year and pay the manu their fee for doing so. All this streaming/app bs is just completely out of hand. What are there now, well over 20 or more main streaming services? Netflix, Amazon, Playstation Vue, DirecTV now, VUDU, Hulu, HBO Now, Showtime app, I mean it's probably 3 dozen now or something. Who has time to keep up with all that? I watch X series on netflix, I watch Y series on Amazon Prime, I watch this other series on Hulu, then I have HBO, SHO, Starz apps. I mean that sounds like a headache and why I'm still running satellite service and using Netflix Blu Ray/mail service. I tried a few streaming services and immediately wished my Tv's were completely dumb. If I chose to stream everything and cancel what I use now, I'd definitely use the ATV for everything.
mattg3 likes this.
TommyDeVito is offline  
post #18667 of 18900 Old 04-10-2019, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
DJR662's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 822
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyDeVito View Post
To me or imo, Sony, Samsung, LG, etc, should focus on PQ and make the TV's dumb. It would would immediately drop the price on the panels whether LCD, QLED, OLED, etc much more than what an ATV, ROKU or whatever else cost. Then maybe the tv companies could put more money and effort into making solid panels with pq, black levels, etc. If the TV's were dumb then software updates would be much less of a concern.
Exactly my thoughts, +1!

My Sony TVs aren't even connected to the internet, as I only deal with physical media anyway.
KONICA TECH likes this.
DJR662 is online now  
post #18668 of 18900 Old 04-11-2019, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Deezul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 1,106
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyDeVito View Post
I don't get why Airplay on a TV is such a big deal at all. A 4k ATV is $179. You can then Airplay to your hearts desire with a phone, Ipad, macbook, whatever. It's silly to me, to have the panel manus put all this software, apps, and bs into the tv, when most people are going to just going to buy some kind of streaming box anyhow. To me or imo, Sony, Samsung, LG, etc, should focus on PQ and make the TV's dumb. It would would immediately drop the price on the panels whether LCD, QLED, OLED, etc much more than what an ATV, ROKU or whatever else cost. Then maybe the tv companies could put more money and effort into making solid panels with pq, black levels, etc. If the TV's were dumb then software updates would be much less of a concern. I run 4 tv's in the household. I have to at least be aware of the software rev on the TV, the UHD player, the soundbar or AVR, the ATV for each setup. I look at my router for connected devices and it's just silly. Reminds me of OEM navigation in a vehicle. Having to update that every year and pay the manu their fee for doing so. All this streaming/app bs is just completely out of hand. What are there now, well over 20 or more main streaming services? Netflix, Amazon, Playstation Vue, DirecTV now, VUDU, Hulu, HBO Now, Showtime app, I mean it's probably 3 dozen now or something. Who has time to keep up with all that? I watch X series on netflix, I watch Y series on Amazon Prime, I watch this other series on Hulu, then I have HBO, SHO, Starz apps. I mean that sounds like a headache and why I'm still running satellite service and using Netflix Blu Ray/mail service. I tried a few streaming services and immediately wished my Tv's were completely dumb. If I chose to stream everything and cancel what I use now, I'd definitely use the ATV for everything.
And by "most people" you mean everyone on here? Most people have a TV, a cable box, and a DVD/Blu-Ray player. They don't have a seperate AV system, a game conosle or two, a Chrome cast, Mibox, or Apple Device. They want ONE device, not a bevy of cables running to multiple systems, that then have to coordinate. I got my mother an Xbox to do video calls with her grandchildren. I wrote out detailed instructions for how to start a call. She never used it, and six months later I took the Xbox back. Want to watch cable? Need the TV and cable box on. A DVD? Change imputs, switch to the DVD player. Stream Netflix? Back to the TV. Play a video game? Guess I'm switching to ANOTHER device. Oh, I want to watch that movie I bought from Apple. Now on to another device. If Xfinity managed to get 4K streaming in their X1 boxes, and add Amazon Prime to it as well, I'd probably stay on that box all the time, since they have incorporated Netflix in their search for programing. I don't mind switching around, and I disagree that "most people" want to do all the coordination. Most people want to find their content in ONE place. I wish I waited for the 2018 model with built in Atmos decoding, so I could just use the TV and AVR for Netflix streaming, versus having to use my Xbox. Doesn't bother me, but explaining it to my girlfriend isn't worth the time and effort to tell her she's going to get better sound when using the Xbox.

And how often do you think people pay to update the Nav on their cars? If it's not a free upgrade, "most people" won't bother unless they live somewhere that's recently been built and doesn't show on the maps in their car. I only upgraded from 2016 to 2019 on my car nav because someone on eBay was selling the SD cards for $40, versus the >$100 that the dealership wanted. Even then, because my factory car stero doesn't have AirPlay/Android Auto did I bother.

Xbox: Deezul
Sony XBR-65X900E, Sony XBR-49X900E
Go Jackets!
Deezul is offline  
post #18669 of 18900 Old 04-11-2019, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
meburdick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,272
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyDeVito View Post
I don't get why Airplay on a TV is such a big deal at all. A 4k ATV is $179. You can then Airplay to your hearts desire with a phone, Ipad, macbook, whatever. It's silly to me, to have the panel manus put all this software, apps, and bs into the tv, when most people are going to just going to buy some kind of streaming box anyhow. To me or imo, Sony, Samsung, LG, etc, should focus on PQ and make the TV's dumb. It would would immediately drop the price on the panels whether LCD, QLED, OLED, etc much more than what an ATV, ROKU or whatever else cost. Then maybe the tv companies could put more money and effort into making solid panels with pq, black levels, etc. If the TV's were dumb then software updates would be much less of a concern. I run 4 tv's in the household. I have to at least be aware of the software rev on the TV, the UHD player, the soundbar or AVR, the ATV for each setup. I look at my router for connected devices and it's just silly. Reminds me of OEM navigation in a vehicle. Having to update that every year and pay the manu their fee for doing so. All this streaming/app bs is just completely out of hand. What are there now, well over 20 or more main streaming services? Netflix, Amazon, Playstation Vue, DirecTV now, VUDU, Hulu, HBO Now, Showtime app, I mean it's probably 3 dozen now or something. Who has time to keep up with all that? I watch X series on netflix, I watch Y series on Amazon Prime, I watch this other series on Hulu, then I have HBO, SHO, Starz apps. I mean that sounds like a headache and why I'm still running satellite service and using Netflix Blu Ray/mail service. I tried a few streaming services and immediately wished my Tv's were completely dumb. If I chose to stream everything and cancel what I use now, I'd definitely use the ATV for everything.
Why do you want WiFi? Just add an adapter / streaming stick.
Why do you want Ethernet? Just add an adapter / streaming stick.

Why do you want streaming apps? Just add a streaming stick.
Why do you want Chromecast support? Just add a streaming stick.

Why do you want ARC or Digital Out? Just run your media sources to a AVR and surround system directly.
Why do you want bluetooth? Just run your media sources to a AVR and connect your headphones there.

Why do you want the ability to install a custom screen saver app? Just use what's built in (if anything).


The point here is that consumers [stupidly] 'demand' all of this garbage be built into the sets directly and you can't arbitrarily draw a line somewhere that says one item is useless while another isn't.
mattg3 likes this.
meburdick is offline  
post #18670 of 18900 Old 04-11-2019, 07:07 AM
Senior Member
 
TommyDeVito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
And by "most people" you mean everyone on here? Most people have a TV, a cable box, and a DVD/Blu-Ray player. They don't have a seperate AV system, a game conosle or two, a Chrome cast, Mibox, or Apple Device. They want ONE device, not a bevy of cables running to multiple systems, that then have to coordinate. I got my mother an Xbox to do video calls with her grandchildren. I wrote out detailed instructions for how to start a call. She never used it, and six months later I took the Xbox back. Want to watch cable? Need the TV and cable box on. A DVD? Change imputs, switch to the DVD player. Stream Netflix? Back to the TV. Play a video game? Guess I'm switching to ANOTHER device. Oh, I want to watch that movie I bought from Apple. Now on to another device. If Xfinity managed to get 4K streaming in their X1 boxes, and add Amazon Prime to it as well, I'd probably stay on that box all the time, since they have incorporated Netflix in their search for programing. I don't mind switching around, and I disagree that "most people" want to do all the coordination. Most people want to find their content in ONE place. I wish I waited for the 2018 model with built in Atmos decoding, so I could just use the TV and AVR for Netflix streaming, versus having to use my Xbox. Doesn't bother me, but explaining it to my girlfriend isn't worth the time and effort to tell her she's going to get better sound when using the Xbox.

And how often do you think people pay to update the Nav on their cars? If it's not a free upgrade, "most people" won't bother unless they live somewhere that's recently been built and doesn't show on the maps in their car. I only upgraded from 2016 to 2019 on my car nav because someone on eBay was selling the SD cards for $40, versus the >$100 that the dealership wanted. Even then, because my factory car stero doesn't have AirPlay/Android Auto did I bother.
Changing inputs on a television set isn't any harder than turning to channel 3 on your tv to operate a VCR or Atari in the 1980's. Asking the TV to do all those stupid apps and be a one shop stop is as dumb as expecting your car to be a track car for HPDE when you want, be a 4X4 for you when you want to go rock climbing, a minivan when you want to haul kids. It's just asking for the moon. Instead of focusing on being a solid tv with excellent PQ/blacks, now it has to be able to do 20 apps, mirroring, etc. It's ridiculous and heavily increases the cost. I'm all for sets for people who want a one stop shop. Make those the lower tiered sets. I just think the cinema sets with the nice blacks, the PQ for film watching should have options to just skip all that bs. And you know what I mean the multi thousand larger sets mostly bought by AV people who know what they are doing and will hook up some device or box for streaming applications anyways, if the set they have has them onboard or not. Just make "dumb" versions and that will help curtail cost, or models that are heavily PQ focused. My panels have all the apps, and it's cumbersome, and not worth the trouble to me using this app for x, another app for y, yet another for z. Going back and forth between the apps isn't fast, or svelte by any means.

Regarding the car/navigation analogy. You know what most people do that I know do? They trade in a perfectly good low mileage vehicle to get the latest "apps" in the car. They lose thousands and thousands in depreciation, interest fees, registration fees, the gamut, to get apps/tech, etc. So foolish when that upgrade cost them 5, 10 or 15k when they could have rolled their existing vehicle into the local car stereo shop and got a new headunit for $500 installed that would do Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, etc. $500 vs $10,000. It's just the state of society today.
TommyDeVito is offline  
post #18671 of 18900 Old 04-11-2019, 07:23 AM
Senior Member
 
TommyDeVito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
Why do you want WiFi? Just add an adapter / streaming stick.
Why do you want Ethernet? Just add an adapter / streaming stick.

Why do you want streaming apps? Just add a streaming stick.
Why do you want Chromecast support? Just add a streaming stick.

Why do you want ARC or Digital Out? Just run your media sources to a AVR and surround system directly.
Why do you want bluetooth? Just run your media sources to a AVR and connect your headphones there.

Why do you want the ability to install a custom screen saver app? Just use what's built in (if anything).


The point here is that consumers [stupidly] 'demand' all of this garbage be built into the sets directly and you can't arbitrarily draw a line somewhere that says one item is useless while another isn't.
Agree but they could make dumb sets that are cinema models or whatever marketing name they want to come up with. I bought (2) 49" X900e's for my common viewing areas (not my HT) early last year. I also bought X700 Sony UHD disc players for them. I laughed when I saw the same apps on both. Paying for redundancy when I didn't want to but had no choice. And literally everyone I talked to about this stuff uses a stick, or box for streaming. And they are not HT people who are into it. From my research locally they'll get a new TV, like say one example is a guy in the office I just helped. Music buff but doesn't know HT at all. He bought a SR7012 on closeout on Amazon for $999. he was real pleased with himself on the bargain he got. I told him nice choice, great AVR. He then asks about sets and he was set on a 850 and explained to him why the 900F was worth the extra dough and he bought it after some convincing. He also got a UHD disc player because he wanted the ability to watch 4k films, and is using some stick/box for streaming. He said the same thing I do when he got everything hooked up. The same damn apps are on the tv, blu ray player and stick/box.

Myself I use ATV's on each set because of the sport I'm very very into (MotoGP) and to control the thing with my phone like say pandora or a music streaming app. To watch practice and qualifying, the race, the interviews, press conferences, etc, iphone/ipad to the ATV using Airplay works seamlessly. What I found out many years ago when I started doing this (and prior I was having to watch my sport on a computer monitor every week) is the ATV has most everything the smart tv's do and the ATV isn't expensive. 1080P days I was getting them for like $99 or something, and 2 of them I got for free with points off one of my credit cards. The guys I know who have nice theaters say the same thing I do, make the panel with the best PQ and make it dumb. You're just gonna hook up a stick/box to it anyways so it's completely irrelevant to have all that bs on the panel. The manu is then stuck with software updates on the reg to update all these silly apps. I read the threads on here. New software update to the tv, and some key app they use doesn't work. now the app company is on the hook to update their crap on each one of these devices from Sony, Samsung, LG, etc, and all the various sticks and boxes. All this leads to cost and more cost. It's just silly. Make the panel dumb, to curtail costs and keep the focus of the tv manu on pq. Then go out and buy your $39 stick or whatever for all the apps you want to use. This deal here is like vhs vs betamax on crack cocaine and roids at the same time. It's just utterly ridiculous. It's real fun to login to my router at home and see that each setup has 4 mac addresses and 192 IP addresses. The TV, soundbar/avr, blu ray player, and ATV. That's 4 in each room that need software updates and support and one software update at some point will take the whole setup down because one deal isn't jiving with the other deal. Thank God I don't have to update my vehicles like this or I'd commit seppuku.

Last edited by TommyDeVito; 04-11-2019 at 07:27 AM.
TommyDeVito is offline  
post #18672 of 18900 Old 04-11-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
meburdick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,272
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyDeVito View Post
Agree but they could make dumb sets that are cinema models or whatever marketing name they want to come up with. I bought (2) 49" X900e's for my common viewing areas (not my HT) early last year. I also bought X700 Sony UHD disc players for them. I laughed when I saw the same apps on both. Paying for redundancy when I didn't want to but had no choice. And literally everyone I talked to about this stuff uses a stick, or box for streaming. And they are not HT people who are into it. From my research locally they'll get a new TV, like say one example is a guy in the office I just helped. Music buff but doesn't know HT at all. He bought a SR7012 on closeout on Amazon for $999. he was real pleased with himself on the bargain he got. I told him nice choice, great AVR. He then asks about sets and he was set on a 850 and explained to him why the 900F was worth the extra dough and he bought it after some convincing. He also got a UHD disc player because he wanted the ability to watch 4k films, and is using some stick/box for streaming. He said the same thing I do when he got everything hooked up. The same damn apps are on the tv, blu ray player and stick/box.

Myself I use ATV's on each set because of the sport I'm very very into (MotoGP) and to control the thing with my phone like say pandora or a music streaming app. To watch practice and qualifying, the race, the interviews, press conferences, etc, iphone/ipad to the ATV using Airplay works seamlessly. What I found out many years ago when I started doing this (and prior I was having to watch my sport on a computer monitor every week) is the ATV has most everything the smart tv's do and the ATV isn't expensive. 1080P days I was getting them for like $99 or something, and 2 of them I got for free with points off one of my credit cards. The guys I know who have nice theaters say the same thing I do, make the panel with the best PQ and make it dumb. You're just gonna hook up a stick/box to it anyways so it's completely irrelevant to have all that bs on the panel. The manu is then stuck with software updates on the reg to update all these silly apps. I read the threads on here. New software update to the tv, and some key app they use doesn't work. now the app company is on the hook to update their crap on each one of these devices from Sony, Samsung, LG, etc, and all the various sticks and boxes. All this leads to cost and more cost. It's just silly. Make the panel dumb, to curtail costs and keep the focus of the tv manu on pq. Then go out and buy your $39 stick or whatever for all the apps you want to use. This deal here is like vhs vs betamax on crack cocaine and roids at the same time. It's just utterly ridiculous. It's real fun to login to my router at home and see that each setup has 4 mac addresses and 192 IP addresses. The TV, soundbar/avr, blu ray player, and ATV. That's 4 in each room that need software updates and support and one software update at some point will take the whole setup down because one deal isn't jiving with the other deal. Thank God I don't have to update my vehicles like this or I'd commit seppuku.
There is a large population here on AVSForum that feel the same way. We are insignificant in the greater population of consumers, however. So, the manufacturers keep adding more and more crap, making the sets more and more unstable overall. For the person that ONLY wants Netflix, or AirPlay, or one other single app... The sets will work well for them. If you use multiple apps ("cord cutter"), you're going to be MUCH better off getting an external streaming device. Period.

Manufacturers have to appeal to as many people as possible at once. So, they bundle everything under the sun that they can pack in there. On paper, it looks great. In the real world, however, it's abysmal.
dowop likes this.
meburdick is offline  
post #18673 of 18900 Old 04-11-2019, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
Gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400MHz MAN View Post
Try installing an app called "Background Apps and Process List"

Found this in the play store:

Google Play Store > Home > Tools and Utilities (category that is all the way at the bottom)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n View Post
press the home button twice, or something like that.


Thats what I do on the Shield, which also has Oreo installed
Thanks guys, I will give these 2 things a shot.
400MHz MAN likes this.

JVC DLA-RS1000, Elunevision 120" 2:35 Cinemascope AT screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, OPPO UDP-203, Anthem MCA 525, Anthem MCA 225, Anthem PVA-4, 4x Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers, Paradigm Prestige 95F, Paradigm Prestige 15B x4, Paradigm Prestige 55c, Paradigm Signature Sub 1, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner.
Gates is offline  
post #18674 of 18900 Old 04-11-2019, 05:45 PM
Senior Member
 
nydennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 299
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Anyone experience and issue when watching Netflix. The TV will turn itself off in the bidding of an episode of a show. This only happens once and a starting the TV again puts me into the netflix app and all I need to do his hit play. It will not happen again until my TV is off for a while and then I start netflix again.

Sony 65" A1E, Sony 49X900E, Epson 6030UB,
Klipsch Chorus II Fronts and Center channel, Definitive Technology BPVX/P X4
Oppo 203
112" Dalite Projector screen
nydennis is offline  
post #18675 of 18900 Old 04-11-2019, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,796
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates View Post
Thanks guys, I will give these 2 things a shot.
In order to close apps with Oreo you must go to the main apps menu.

The quick way to do this is Hold down home button until apps menu pops up.

Move the selection to the app you believe to be running. Oreo no longer provides a list of running apps.

Hold down select button to bring context menu. Select “info”

Select force stop.
Gates likes this.
apw2607 is offline  
post #18676 of 18900 Old 04-12-2019, 01:12 PM
Member
 
ImpliedConsent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: McDonough, GA
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Does anyone here use the "CBS All Access" app on the 900E? Ever since I installed it and using it: sound sync problems; hangs the TV; unable to switch inputs. The only way to clear it up is to remote-reboot and not use it. I've got the latest TV updates.

No Bling
ImpliedConsent is offline  
post #18677 of 18900 Old 04-14-2019, 02:03 PM
Member
 
Jeff Merheb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Beirut, Lebanon
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I have the Middle East/ Europe version of 55X9000E and can't find the Oreo update, only the US model has it, can I flash it or it's incompatible?


Edit: Found the French 55X9005E FW, will it work on 9000E?
jonatanbk040184 likes this.

Last edited by Jeff Merheb; 04-14-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Jeff Merheb is offline  
post #18678 of 18900 Old 04-16-2019, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
Gates's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
In order to close apps with Oreo you must go to the main apps menu.

The quick way to do this is Hold down home button until apps menu pops up.

Move the selection to the app you believe to be running. Oreo no longer provides a list of running apps.

Hold down select button to bring context menu. Select “info”

Select force stop.
Thank you!

JVC DLA-RS1000, Elunevision 120" 2:35 Cinemascope AT screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, OPPO UDP-203, Anthem MCA 525, Anthem MCA 225, Anthem PVA-4, 4x Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers, Paradigm Prestige 95F, Paradigm Prestige 15B x4, Paradigm Prestige 55c, Paradigm Signature Sub 1, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner.
Gates is offline  
post #18679 of 18900 Old 04-16-2019, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
hsinnott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 776
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Merheb View Post
I have the Middle East/ Europe version of 55X9000E and can't find the Oreo update, only the US model has it, can I flash it or it's incompatible?


Edit: Found the French 55X9005E FW, will it work on 9000E?
Update is not available either on the UK/Ireland version but there is a little ad for it on the homepage...perhaps they are trying to fix any bugs on it prior to releasing it? I'd just wait for an official release for your country to be on the safe side.

SONY Bravia KD-65XE9005BU 4K UHD tv PANASONIC TX-40CX400B 4K UHD tv SONY UBP-X800 4K HDR Ultra HD player SONY BDP-S3700 Blu-ray player (U.S.)-*new 04/04/2019 SONY BDP-S760 Blu-ray player ES certified- Elevated Standard (UK) SAMSUNG BD-C6900 3D Blu-ray player (UK) SAMSUNG HW-MS650 Sound+ Soundbar
hsinnott is offline  
post #18680 of 18900 Old 04-18-2019, 07:32 AM
Member
 
atomic dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Does anybody have an AirTV player (white box) and does it work on input 1 or 4 for you? All I get is a black screen. Only seems to work on HDMI2 which is strange. If I plug it into 1 All I get is a black screen for a few seconds then the typical no signal gray screen.

Any ideas? I searched the site but found nothing. Really would like to get it on input 1 and 4. Maybe there is a TV setting I am unaware of???
atomic dog is offline  
post #18681 of 18900 Old 04-18-2019, 09:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic dog View Post
Does anybody have an AirTV player (white box) and does it work on input 1 or 4 for you? All I get is a black screen. Only seems to work on HDMI2 which is strange. If I plug it into 1 All I get is a black screen for a few seconds then the typical no signal gray screen.

Any ideas? I searched the site but found nothing. Really would like to get it on input 1 and 4. Maybe there is a TV setting I am unaware of???

I have one. I use it on an old TV, but I can try it on my 900E tonight and let you know. Isn't HDMI 2 the ARC port? I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
Tfid is offline  
post #18682 of 18900 Old 04-18-2019, 10:05 PM
Member
 
atomic dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfid View Post
I have one. I use it on an old TV, but I can try it on my 900E tonight and let you know. Isn't HDMI 2 the ARC port? I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
HDMI3 is the ARC port but I think you are right about 2 and 3 being special. But all the ports can do 4k so I am really perplexed. 3 for me is occupied by my receiver, and 2 for my media/gaming pc.

Anyway I would love to hear your results. Or any thoughts you and others might have.
atomic dog is offline  
post #18683 of 18900 Old 04-19-2019, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
vapore0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic dog View Post
Does anybody have an AirTV player (white box) and does it work on input 1 or 4 for you? All I get is a black screen. Only seems to work on HDMI2 which is strange. If I plug it into 1 All I get is a black screen for a few seconds then the typical no signal gray screen.

Any ideas? I searched the site but found nothing. Really would like to get it on input 1 and 4. Maybe there is a TV setting I am unaware of???
I think the manual states that input 1 is not 4k, or full hdmi 2.1.






What setting is everyone using on the motion compensation area.
Im getting some minor judder on action scenes, and it really bothers me
I use True Cinema for Motion , and High for the other option. I have my Shield TV set to 4k 60hz and to 1080p 24p, and both act the same way.
I do not believe my Blueray player has this issue. Ill have to try it out.

Samsung LN46A650, Core 2 Duo E6400, HD4850, MSI 945P NEO3-F, 4GB PC2-6400, Harmony 659
vapore0n is offline  
post #18684 of 18900 Old 04-19-2019, 07:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n View Post
I think the manual states that input 1 is not 4k, or full hdmi 2.1.
Ports 1/4 are full 4k but max out at 10.8gbps meaning 4Kx60fps with 4:4:4 color depth is not supported but all 4Kx30fps should work fine.

Ports 2/3 have the ability to support 18gbps if you turn on "enhanced mode".

None of the ports are HDMI 2.1
DougDingle, MentatYP and Deezul like this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony HT-NT5 sound bar with SR-5 rear speakers
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/'Sony PS-4
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #18685 of 18900 Old 04-23-2019, 07:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Sony just released the new update for Oreo, supposedly fixes the ARC problem.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/00016043

Who wants to go first?
timosilakka likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony HT-NT5 sound bar with SR-5 rear speakers
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/'Sony PS-4
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #18686 of 18900 Old 04-23-2019, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2,854
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1621 Post(s)
Liked: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
Sony just released the new update for Oreo, supposedly fixes the ARC problem.



https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/00016043



Who wants to go first?
I'll try it, why not.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Hetfieldjames is online now  
post #18687 of 18900 Old 04-23-2019, 07:50 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
4.23.2019 New Sony Update

Just updated to the new firmware. All seems well and the sounce issue when using external audio seems to be fixed.
dubzino1229 is offline  
post #18688 of 18900 Old 04-23-2019, 11:21 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Hey guys, late to the party here.

Got some new living room furniture and had to rearrange my HT setup. Tried to load up my old Atoms/DTS-HD test videos and it doesn't seem like the x900e will read the lossless audio from my MKV files anymore. Was something changed in a recent update? The MP4 tracks still play fine.

Edit: This is via a USB dongle plugged directly into the TV. Previously the TV would read the video/audio just fine and the losless audio would pass perfectly to my receiver, but that isn't happening anymore apparently.

Last edited by iiK0NiiK; 04-23-2019 at 11:29 AM.
iiK0NiiK is offline  
post #18689 of 18900 Old 04-23-2019, 03:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is it worth updating to Oreo if I don’t use the smart apps or even have WiFi turned on ?
Potatolays is offline  
post #18690 of 18900 Old 04-23-2019, 05:48 PM
Newbie
 
steelstring41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubzino1229 View Post
Just updated to the new firmware. All seems well and the sounce issue when using external audio seems to be fixed.

When I checked, it said I was up to date even though I don't have Oreo installed. Perhaps they are doing a slow roll out? I have the 49x900e with version PKG6.5629.
steelstring41 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off