2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 625 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40380Likes

post #18721 of 19184 Old 04-27-2019, 03:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by drseid View Post
I have Fios TV One and just checked. On my 900E the HDR only kicks in when watching Netflix HDR material. I have actually found the TV One a big improvement in FIOS box speed and picture quality on my set.

On the flip side, I have noticed lip sync issues I never had pre-TV One. I should also mention I have the HDMI going directly to the TV from the TV One box.
Hello,
Do you have the DVR or the mini box going into the 900E. The problem only happens on the mini box. Also it is possible they didn’t send there latest firmware update yet. My mini box was working fine until they pushed a new firmware. This problem is currently being discussed on several other forums.

Regards
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18722 of 19184 Old 04-27-2019, 03:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post
Hello,
Do you have the DVR or the mini box going into the 900E. The problem only happens on the mini box. Also it is possible they didn’t send there latest firmware update yet. My mini box was working fine until they pushed a new firmware. This problem is currently being discussed on several other forums.

Regards
Jeff
Interesting... First, the answer to your question is I checked the Sony that is attached to the Fios TV One Main DVR Box.

Now that you mentioned checking the mini-box, I did just that (as I have another 900E in the bedroom attached to the mini-box), and indeed it does force HDR on all channels for *that* box. So you are right, it is the mini-box only that has the HDR problem.

---Dave

My HT/Music System can be found here:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...iew&1301304581
post #18723 of 19184 Old 04-27-2019, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Hello all,
I am looking for any 900e owners who have FIOS ONE service. It is Verizon’s attempts new 4k streaming built into there cable boxes with voice activated commands. The problem is that there new mini box, (not DVR), has a HDR problem...

Regards,
Jeff
My x900e is hooked up to my FiOS TV One DVR rather than the satellite box. I’ll try to switch the boxes and check this for you this weekend once I return from travel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18724 of 19184 Old 04-27-2019, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubzino1229 View Post
Just updated to the new firmware. All seems well and the sounce issue when using external audio seems to be fixed.
After using it a with this new update. I have come to the conclusion that I shouldnt have updated. Everything is slow now and stuttering with the built in apps. How can sony sell a tv for this much money and still be ironing issues two years later. This is not right. Can I put the old firmware on a usb and flash it back to the previous version. Or will I be asking for trouble doing this.
post #18725 of 19184 Old 04-27-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstring41 View Post
When I checked, it said I was up to date even though I don't have Oreo installed. Perhaps they are doing a slow roll out? I have the 49x900e with version PKG6.5629.
I actually updated via USB. I think I will not be doing that again.
steelstring41 likes this.
post #18726 of 19184 Old 04-27-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting... First, the answer to your question is I checked the Sony that is attached to the Fios TV One Main DVR Box.

Now that you mentioned checking the mini-box, I did just that (as I have another 900E in the bedroom attached to the mini-box), and indeed it does force HDR on all channels for *that* box. So you are right, it is the mini-box only that has the HDR problem.
Hello,
Please open a ticket with Verizon. Currently they are claiming they know nothing about it and it is the TVs problem! Currently the FIOS user forum and the DSL reports forum are discussing this problem. It does not only happen on Sony TVs this happens on all brands. And Sorry to get off topic of this thread. I only started the conversation because I wanted to see if it was just a Sony problem.

Regards
Jeff
post #18727 of 19184 Old 04-27-2019, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Hello,
Please open a ticket with Verizon. Currently they are claiming they know nothing about it and it is the TVs problem! Currently the FIOS user forum and the DSL reports forum are discussing this problem. It does not only happen on Sony TVs this happens on all brands. And Sorry to get off topic of this thread. I only started the conversation because I wanted to see if it was just a Sony problem.

Regards
Jeff
Just did. I have no idea if the rep actually did what I asked though... as they didn’t know what HDR is (sigh).... That was painful.

---Dave

My HT/Music System can be found here:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...iew&1301304581
post #18728 of 19184 Old 04-27-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just did. I have no idea if the rep actually did what I asked though... as they didn’t know what HDR is (sigh).... That was painful.
Sorry to put you through that!! There tech support is off shore, it really is a painful experience calling them.
But the only way they will get the message is to bring it to the light!
post #18729 of 19184 Old 04-28-2019, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubzino1229 View Post
After using it a with this new update. I have come to the conclusion that I shouldnt have updated. Everything is slow now and stuttering with the built in apps. How can sony sell a tv for this much money and still be ironing issues two years later. This is not right. Can I put the old firmware on a usb and flash it back to the previous version. Or will I be asking for trouble doing this.
You can put the old firmware on a usb and stick it in the tv, but nothing will happen. You’re basically screwed like the rest of us.
dowop likes this.
post #18730 of 19184 Old 04-29-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
You can put the old firmware on a usb and stick it in the tv, but nothing will happen. You’re basically screwed like the rest of us.
This is such garbage. Sony Slowly sabotages their own tv's to make us go out and buy new ones. Apple started it and now seems like everyone is following suit lol
post #18731 of 19184 Old 04-29-2019, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone had a good experience with this update? I’m sick of having to restart my system to get sound out of my external speakers, but the benefit of that isn’t worth permanently degraded system wide performance. Has this update been worth it for anybody?
post #18732 of 19184 Old 04-29-2019, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1592 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryewhiskey View Post
Has anyone had a good experience with this update? I’m sick of having to restart my system to get sound out of my external speakers, but the benefit of that isn’t worth permanently degraded system wide performance. Has this update been worth it for anybody?
I updated a few months ago (the one that was pulled because of ARC problems, and replaced by the one that is now available), and everything works fine. I'd say the OS is more responsive than it was before. I don't use ARC, so that wasn't an issue before or after.

I don't know why others report problems, slowness, etc. Perhaps a factory reset might help them, or there are other devices that aren't fully compatible for whatever reason.

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #18733 of 19184 Old 04-30-2019, 04:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
I updated my 900e and z9d with the latest update and have not had any issues whatsoever.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #18734 of 19184 Old 04-30-2019, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
I've been running oreo for a few month's now with very few issues. I don't use arc either so i can't comment on that but the os is really responsive compared to before.
I did a restart two weeks ago as it was starting to slow a little but that would happen before the update also, just a limitation of android!
post #18735 of 19184 Old 04-30-2019, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Zero issues here and been running it for a while now. Seems to be a bit quicker but I had no real complaints about the prior system, and in fact I miss being able to pull up the list of running apps via holding the home button.
post #18736 of 19184 Old 04-30-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 58
The update in December worked better for me than the one from last week. NOW I have ARC issues. If the TV speakers were last on, sometimes when I turn the TV on, there's a handshake issue where both the TV speakers and external AVR speakers are one. If I turn off the AVR, I get the TV speakers pop up and hear them fine. Then turn the AVR back on and it switches correctly to external speakers. Audio sync is worse than before when using external speakers when watching through my xFinity box. What's even worse is my AVR is newer Sony one. Guess I should check to see if there's an update for the AVR as well.

Xbox: Deezul
Sony XBR-65X900E, Sony XBR-49X900E
Go Jackets!
post #18737 of 19184 Old 04-30-2019, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I updated last week via usb and have no issues so far.
post #18738 of 19184 Old 04-30-2019, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just noticed the other night that down the very left edge of my screen, it appears a bit brighter than the rest of the screen. The right may have it too but I haven’t seen it. Is this normal?
post #18739 of 19184 Old 04-30-2019, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmace001 View Post
I just noticed the other night that down the very left edge of my screen, it appears a bit brighter than the rest of the screen. The right may have it too but I haven’t seen it. Is this normal?
Yup, very common imperfection in this model. Don't sweat it.
post #18740 of 19184 Old 04-30-2019, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmace001 View Post
Yup, very common imperfection in this model. Don't sweat it.

Thanks! Your answer both comforts and upsets me, lol. I feel like it wasn’t there before and I’ve owned it a year. Now I keep fixating on the left side at this brighter section running down it. I’ll do my best to put my OCD to rest.
post #18741 of 19184 Old 05-01-2019, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Updated about an hour ago. Went through all my apps, no issues EXCEPT CBS All Access still sucks. It's about as slow as it was in 2017, so, meh.

No Bling
post #18742 of 19184 Old 05-01-2019, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I too did the latest update using a USB stick and now I am having issues when using ALL my native (built-in) apps. I have ARC using a 4K certified cable running from Port 3 (enhanced) to my Yamaha RX-A670 receiver and every single one of the native apps is now playing in PCM mode only. I DID NOT have this issue with the prior firmware (although I did have to restart the telly to properly decode the built in apps). I then updated to the April 2019 firmware and NOW have problems. I checked my sound settings on the X900 and have updated all firmware for the AVR and still have PCM only playing through ARC. Last night I even did a factory reset and still have the same issue - any advice?
post #18743 of 19184 Old 05-01-2019, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiK0NiiK View Post
The Oreo update broke DTS over ARC and optical. Either the file would play with no audio, or it wouldn't play at all.
Damn, I suspected this is why none of my DTS audio would play. It was annoying as hell. After a few weeks, I broke down and just bought an Apple TV to use instead of the TV apps. So, Sony and Google shot themselves in the foot there, since they no longer get my sweet, sweet user analytics. I reformatted the TV and disabled networking.
post #18744 of 19184 Old 05-01-2019, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any way to turn off the Sponsored Apps row?
post #18745 of 19184 Old 05-02-2019, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorban View Post
Damn, I suspected this is why none of my DTS audio would play. It was annoying as hell. After a few weeks, I broke down and just bought an Apple TV to use instead of the TV apps. So, Sony and Google shot themselves in the foot there, since they no longer get my sweet, sweet user analytics. I reformatted the TV and disabled networking.
You'll get better audio. On my Sony's, the tv apps put out so low volume I have to turn the AVR way up and it still sucks. Not a fan. Wish my set was dumb sans software updates for PQ/DV, etc. It may be ARC causing the low volume but I don't like it. I have a 3 1080p ATV's and just bought my first 4k ATV but haven't played with it yet. I don't want to buy any more 4k versions yet as macrumors thinks Apple will release a new one at some point this year to correspond with their new streaming service. I'm hopeful Apple will offer live channels at some point so I can cut the satellite cord for the first time in 20+ years.
post #18746 of 19184 Old 05-02-2019, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent View Post
Updated about an hour ago. Went through all my apps, no issues EXCEPT CBS All Access still sucks. It's about as slow as it was in 2017, so, meh.
Ha! You're giving me the confidence to go ahead and upgrade my set.

CBSAA is terrible. I cancelled my subscription through the app, and purchased it through Amazon Prime Video app for the same price. Amazon's app and servers are much higher quality and more reliable than CBSAA. So if you're a Prime member, then you should give that a try. Heck, I'm not even sure you have to be a Prime member to use the app, or subscribe to a third party service.
pdicamillo likes this.
post #18747 of 19184 Old 05-02-2019, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac128 View Post
So if you're a Prime member, then you should give that a try. Heck, I'm not even sure you have to be a Prime member to use the app, or subscribe to a third party service.
Yeah, I am and I missed that it was available. I'd already paid my $60bucks for the year, so I just put it on a PC and cast it. I'll cancel and start up with Prime next time. Thx.

No Bling
post #18748 of 19184 Old 05-03-2019, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Question 24p stutter question for people sensitive to it.

Hey guys,

I just was curious if anyone else is as sensitive to 24p content stutter as I am? (I realize it's due to the low framerate and fast response times) I can't help but notice it on my 900e.

The picture on my tv is amazing and very happy with it but I notice since I moved to my 65" from my old 1080p 46" Samsung, everything on the bigger screen
is obviously magnified which is ok, but the 24p stutter definitely bugs me.

I've tried all motion off, True Cinema with Cinemotion low/High and some movies are very hard to watch for me especially 4k content.

I understand director's intent which I also prefer with all motion off etc. but I notice for some content I have to move motion to Custom 1 and Cinemotion Med. Clear does nothing imo.
Not a huge fan of SOE but I notice I almost need to have some of it to get a less stuttery motion for 24p.

This is for Streaming from Apple TV and Blu Rays on my X800.

Anyone else had trouble adjusting to 24p motion and if so what settings have you been using to help?

Thanks for any input guys I appreciate it!!

Sony 65" X900E Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-Ray Roku Ultra, Apple TV 4K
Onkyo TX-nr656
Polk S15s, S35 and TL1 satellite rears, TL1 satellite heights Atmos 5.1.2
HSU VTF-2 MK5
post #18749 of 19184 Old 05-03-2019, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdel002 View Post
Hey guys,

I just was curious if anyone else is as sensitive to 24p content stutter as I am? (I realize it's due to the low framerate and fast response times) I can't help but notice it on my 900e.

The picture on my tv is amazing and very happy with it but I notice since I moved to my 65" from my old 1080p 46" Samsung, everything on the bigger screen
is obviously magnified which is ok, but the 24p stutter definitely bugs me.

I've tried all motion off, True Cinema with Cinemotion low/High and some movies are very hard to watch for me especially 4k content.

I understand director's intent which I also prefer with all motion off etc. but I notice for some content I have to move motion to Custom 1 and Cinemotion Med. Clear does nothing imo.
Not a huge fan of SOE but I notice I almost need to have some of it to get a less stuttery motion for 24p.

This is for Streaming from Apple TV and Blu Rays on my X800.

Anyone else had trouble adjusting to 24p motion and if so what settings have you been using to help?

Thanks for any input guys I appreciate it!!
I had the opposite experience from you. I bought and returned a Samsung before this because of the stutter & motion issues. Don't notice any motion issues with this Sony!
post #18750 of 19184 Old 05-03-2019, 07:56 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
I had the opposite experience from you. I bought and returned a Samsung before this because of the stutter & motion issues. Don't notice any motion issues with this Sony!
Good to hear Javelin! I know the Sony's are known for their great motion handling. I don't think its the tv, I just think it's my sensitivity to it. The 900e is a great set for sure!

Do you use motion settings on your 900e or do you leave all of that off?

Thanks for the reply!

Sony 65" X900E Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-Ray Roku Ultra, Apple TV 4K
Onkyo TX-nr656
Polk S15s, S35 and TL1 satellite rears, TL1 satellite heights Atmos 5.1.2
HSU VTF-2 MK5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page