2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 626 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40381Likes

post #18751 of 19190 Old 05-03-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdel002 View Post
Hey guys,

I just was curious if anyone else is as sensitive to 24p content stutter as I am? (I realize it's due to the low framerate and fast response times) I can't help but notice it on my 900e.

The picture on my tv is amazing and very happy with it but I notice since I moved to my 65" from my old 1080p 46" Samsung, everything on the bigger screen
is obviously magnified which is ok, but the 24p stutter definitely bugs me.

I've tried all motion off, True Cinema with Cinemotion low/High and some movies are very hard to watch for me especially 4k content.

I understand director's intent which I also prefer with all motion off etc. but I notice for some content I have to move motion to Custom 1 and Cinemotion Med. Clear does nothing imo.
Not a huge fan of SOE but I notice I almost need to have some of it to get a less stuttery motion for 24p.

This is for Streaming from Apple TV and Blu Rays on my X800.

Anyone else had trouble adjusting to 24p motion and if so what settings have you been using to help?

Thanks for any input guys I appreciate it!!

I know exactly what you mean. Try these settings for smooth 24 fps playback.

Motion- Custom, Smoothness 1, Clearness Min, Cinemotion- High. Minimal SOE, but really smooth. You could also try smoothness on 2, Clearness on Min, and Cinemotion on Low.

I had this tv in a 75 inch before I replaced it with a 75 z9d, but recently got a 55 inch for the other room. Love it. Oreo update seems to make eveything operate faster for me. I know I have been away from this thread for a while but for those experiencing laggy UI. Try a factory reset and make sure you disable Samba TV during the setup process. Turning it off in the app settings isn't the same as not enabling it in the beginning. Also, you can try turning on developer options and limiting background processes to 4, or 3, or 2 or whatever you'd like.
djdel002 likes this.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18752 of 19190 Old 05-03-2019, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Good to hear Javelin! I know the Sony's are known for their great motion handling. I don't think its the tv, I just think it's my sensitivity to it. The 900e is a great set for sure!

Do you use motion settings on your 900e or do you leave all of that off?

Thanks for the reply!
I have motionflow on custom, smoothness 3, clearness 1 and cinemotion on high. looks good to me, some others might disagree
djdel002 likes this.
post #18753 of 19190 Old 05-03-2019, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
I know exactly what you mean. Try these settings for smooth 24 fps playback.

Motion- Custom, Smoothness 1, Clearness Min, Cinemotion- High. Minimal SOE, but really smooth. You could also try smoothness on 2, Clearness on Min, and Cinemotion on Low.

I had this tv in a 75 inch before I replaced it with a 75 z9d, but recently got a 55 inch for the other room. Love it. Oreo update seems to make eveything operate faster for me. I know I have been away from this thread for a while but for those experiencing laggy UI. Try a factory reset and make sure you disable Samba TV during the setup process. Turning it off in the app settings isn't the same as not enabling it in the beginning. Also, you can try turning on developer options and limiting background processes to 4, or 3, or 2 or whatever you'd like.
Thanks Joshua!!

I'm glad someone see's what I mean haha. I was wondering if my eyesight was going.

I am actually using Custom, Smoothness 1, Clearness Min and Cinemotion- Medium and seems to be pretty good so far but tonight I'm gonna try with High setting. Just for 24p 4k/HDR stuff.
That 75 Z9d must be incredible!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
I have motionflow on custom, smoothness 3, clearness 1 and cinemotion on high. looks good to me, some others might disagree
I'm sure it looks great Javelin, glad your enjoying it! Thanks for the reply!

Sony 65" X900E Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-Ray Roku Ultra, Apple TV 4K
Onkyo TX-nr656
Polk S15s, S35 and TL1 satellite rears, TL1 satellite heights Atmos 5.1.2
HSU VTF-2 MK5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18754 of 19190 Old 05-03-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Thanks Joshua!!

I'm glad someone see's what I mean haha. I was wondering if my eyesight was going.

I am actually using Custom, Smoothness 1, Clearness Min and Cinemotion- Medium and seems to be pretty good so far but tonight I'm gonna try with High setting. Just for 24p 4k/HDR stuff.
That 75 Z9d must be incredible!!!

I'm sure it looks great Javelin, glad your enjoying it! Thanks for the reply!
You bet. I found out after messing with the 900e and z9d that the more contrasty the image panning across the screen is, the worse the studder is. For example, street lights on a dark background in a shot that is panning from left to right will have a jumpiness to them. So, I also typically turn off advanced contrast enhancer and keep Xtended Dynamic Range on low for all SDR content and that also helps.

The more frame interpolation you add the smoother the image gets but at a certain point the SOE effect starts to become distracting. I used smoothness at 1 and cinemotion on medium for a long time too and ultimately went back and forth from medium to high and settled on high. The funny thing is, on my z9d, after the recent Oreo update, I actually started using true cinema and cinemotion on high and it honestly looks pretty good for movies. I always hated it in the past but am wondering if something in the most recent update changed the motion processing a bit to smooth it out more...

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
post #18755 of 19190 Old 05-03-2019, 09:52 AM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
You bet. I found out after messing with the 900e and z9d that the more contrasty the image panning across the screen is, the worse the studder is. For example, street lights on a dark background in a shot that is panning from left to right will have a jumpiness to them. So, I also typically turn off advanced contrast enhancer and keep Xtended Dynamic Range on low for all SDR content and that also helps.

The more frame interpolation you add the smoother the image gets but at a certain point the SOE effect starts to become distracting. I used smoothness at 1 and cinemotion on medium for a long time too and ultimately went back and forth from medium to high and settled on high. The funny thing is, on my z9d, after the recent Oreo update, I actually started using true cinema and cinemotion on high and it honestly looks pretty good for movies. I always hated it in the past but am wondering if something in the most recent update changed the motion processing a bit to smooth it out more...
I'm gonna try those things.
Oh yeah I definitely like to have the SOE at a minimum. True Cinema and Cinemotion High always looked too stuttery to me. If it wasn't for that I love the look of True Cinema and High.
I have the Oreo update but not the most recent April 23rd one. I'd love to have True Cinema smoothed out for sure.

Sony 65" X900E Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-Ray Roku Ultra, Apple TV 4K
Onkyo TX-nr656
Polk S15s, S35 and TL1 satellite rears, TL1 satellite heights Atmos 5.1.2
HSU VTF-2 MK5
post #18756 of 19190 Old 05-03-2019, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
I accidentally turned the built-in speakers up to 90 on the volume display bar ... and I'm not completely sure I didn't damage them. The upper midrange sounds a little scratchy since. Anybody have a way to test this for sure? I was thinking maybe some kind of sine wave test on YouTube to see if certain frequencies distort?

I wonder if I could get new speakers from Sony and install them myself should they be damaged?
post #18757 of 19190 Old 05-06-2019, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
***New update pushed out to my Sony 900E today here in Colorado.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #18758 of 19190 Old 05-06-2019, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1753 Post(s)
Liked: 1065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Lucky you, I checked this morning again and nothing.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #18759 of 19190 Old 05-06-2019, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Which update? 6.5850?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #18760 of 19190 Old 05-06-2019, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I upgraded to Oreo last week (forced via USB) and I seem to have some issues with the picture settings now. Everything I watch on the TV comes thru a receiver connected to HDMI 3 and as such I do not use any of the tv apps. Up until the upgrade, picture adjustments was correctly showing HDMI3 as a source and had different sub-settings for each presets and for HDR/non HDR. Since the upgrade, regardless of the source (shield tv, Roku, firestick, gaming system, etc...) Picture adjustment shows "apps", not hdmi3, as a source and even if I change the settings, they always come back to some default. Besides, if for the same preset (let's say cinema pro for the sake of this example), I am not able to change different settings for HDR/non HDR. Whatever change I make applies to both.

Any idea how to fix this?
post #18761 of 19190 Old 05-07-2019, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledvedder View Post
Which update? 6.5850?

***I'm not sure if I'm reading this right ("Settings"- "About") but my Sony 49" 900E says:

Version 8.0.0
Android Security Patch Level: 02/05/2019
Kernel Version: 3.10.79

When I click on the "Check For Software Update," it says I have the current version. Hope this helps.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #18762 of 19190 Old 05-08-2019, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I've had my XBR65x900e for about 1 year and 3 months now. The other day my wife call me telling me that the bottom 1/3 of the screen had a bunch of vertical lines. The vertical lines were along the entire width of the display. They were there on all HDMI inputs. The TV is out of warranty but it turns out that my CC that I used to purchase the TV provided a 1 year extension. I called and opened a claim but then I got to reading and there is a troubleshooting guide on Sony's website for such an occurrence. The steps are simple, pull power from the TV for a couple of minutes and then plug back in and if that fails to fix the problem then it is a bad display. Well, cycling power worked. The lines are gone but now but I have this claim opened with my CC company. What are the chances of this being an actual fix? My gut feeling is that there is a problem with the TV and this is only going to be a temporary fix. Has anyone here experienced this problem before? Did the problem reoccur after cycling power and how long did it take to come back? Should I cancel my claim?
post #18763 of 19190 Old 05-08-2019, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
Hey guys, I've had my XBR65x900e for about 1 year and 3 months now. The other day my wife call me telling me that the bottom 1/3 of the screen had a bunch of vertical lines. The vertical lines were along the entire width of the display. They were there on all HDMI inputs. The TV is out of warranty but it turns out that my CC that I used to purchase the TV provided a 1 year extension. I called and opened a claim but then I got to reading and there is a troubleshooting guide on Sony's website for such an occurrence. The steps are simple, pull power from the TV for a couple of minutes and then plug back in and if that fails to fix the problem then it is a bad display. Well, cycling power worked. The lines are gone but now but I have this claim opened with my CC company. What are the chances of this being an actual fix? My gut feeling is that there is a problem with the TV and this is only going to be a temporary fix. Has anyone here experienced this problem before? Did the problem reoccur after cycling power and how long did it take to come back? Should I cancel my claim?
Sounds like it could have been the Android to TV interface.

The other day, when I had to power everything down to plug in the UPS, all of the HDMI ports failed to work and what was shown on the TV was off center.
Powering down the TV and letting it cycle fixed it.

Maybe keep the warranty item open for some time while you evaluate if its still happening?

Sony x900e, Sony STR-DN1080, Sony Core Series speakers (5.1.2), NVidia Shield TV, Synology 4 bay NAS (12TB total)
post #18764 of 19190 Old 05-08-2019, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Yes. Numerous folks since the beginning of this thread have reported such issues, successfully resolved through similar methods as you describe, including myself. I've even had the flashing red light of death resolved after a hard reset. It probably wouldn't hurt to do a complete factory restore and see if the TV continues operating as expected (I've done 3 since I've owned this set -- two at the direction of Sony). However, if this issue was resolved by a hard reset, then there is most likely not a major problem with the panel, and it's safe to close the claim. It's not like you can't open a new one if the problem returns.
post #18765 of 19190 Old 05-08-2019, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Which update? 6.5850?

Update hit me too in Tennessee
post #18766 of 19190 Old 05-11-2019, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Can we get the Oreo update offline somewhere?
post #18767 of 19190 Old 05-11-2019, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzakusReturns View Post
Can we get the Oreo update offline somewhere?
Anyone have any idea what was in the latest update that was pushed out??
post #18768 of 19190 Old 05-11-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Hey guys, I've had my XBR65x900e for about 1 year and 3 months now. The other day my wife call me telling me that the bottom 1/3 of the screen had a bunch of vertical lines. The vertical lines were along the entire width of the display. They were there on all HDMI inputs. The TV is out of warranty but it turns out that my CC that I used to purchase the TV provided a 1 year extension. I called and opened a claim but then I got to reading and there is a troubleshooting guide on Sony's website for such an occurrence. The steps are simple, pull power from the TV for a couple of minutes and then plug back in and if that fails to fix the problem then it is a bad display. Well, cycling power worked.
I had something very similar happen about a week ago on a 49" version, except in my case it was a band of colored confetti at the bottom of the screen.

Unplugging the power brick from the set for five minutes or so cured it, and it hasn't been back.

My set is 11 months old, and I have some small concern that it may come back (permanently) in a month or two once the warranty has expired, and then I'm SOL. Although it seems that if the Sony site actually has that as a recommended fix, it may be just some random nonsense that happens time to time.

Just annoying.
post #18769 of 19190 Old 05-11-2019, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello people i'm new too the forum.
Im from the Netherlands.
I have the XE9005(X900E) for 1 year and a couple months.

I went tru a couple off calibrations on the internet but that's not the way too do it.

I downloaded the AVS HD 709 DISC and burd it om a dvd(AVCHD)

I calibrate the black level and the contrast of my screen with the following settings and i think i found the sweet spot for cinema pro and game mode(SDR).

Backlight 10
Contrast 96
Gamma 0
Black Level 49
Black ajust off
Adv. Contrast enhancer off
Auto local dimming medium
X-tended Dynamic Range off

Color 50 (53 on game mode)
Hue 0
Colour temperature Expert 1
Adv. Colour temperature (no adjustments)
Live Colour off

Sharpness 50
Reality Creation off (on for older content)
Smooth gradation off (on for older content,(NOT FOR GAMES)

Motionflow True Cinema (OFF IN GAME MODE
Film mode low (GREYED OUT IN GAME MODE)

HDR mode auto
HDMI video range Limited
Colour space auto

My settings may be wrong for your set,but you can give it a try.

I suggest you calibrate black level and the contrast off your screen with the AVS HD 709 Disk and see what you people think about this amazing tv.

I calibrated my display using the ps3
Odd enough rgb and ycbcr had the same settings when calibrating the display.

Color 53 on game mode is a personal preference.

PEACE !!!
post #18770 of 19190 Old 05-11-2019, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NL PANCAKE View Post
Hello people i'm new too the forum.

Im from the Netherlands.

I have the XE9005(X900E) for 1 year and a couple months.

I went tru a couple off calibrations on the internet but that's not the way too do it.

I downloaded the AVS HD 709 DISC and burd it om a dvd(AVCHD)

I calibrate the black level and the contrast of my screen with the following settings and i think i found the sweet spot for cinema pro and game mode(SDR).

Backlight 10

Contrast 96

Gamma 0

Black Level 49

Black ajust off

Adv. Contrast enhancer off

Auto local dimming medium

X-tended Dynamic Range off

Color 50 (53 on game mode)

Hue 0

Colour temperature Expert 1

Adv. Colour temperature (no adjustments)

Live Colour off

Sharpness 50

Reality Creation off (on for older content)

Smooth gradation off (on for older content,(NOT FOR GAMES)

Motionflow True Cinema (OFF IN GAME MODE

Film mode low (GREYED OUT IN GAME MODE)

HDR mode auto

HDMI video range Limited

Colour space auto

My settings may be wrong for your set,but you can give it a try.

I suggest you calibrate black level and the contrast off your screen with the AVS HD 709 Disk and see what you people think about this amazing tv.

I calibrated my display using the ps3

Odd enough rgb and ycbcr had the same settings when calibrating the display.

Color 53 on game mode is a personal preference.

PEACE !!!
Those settings actually sound pretty good. Not over the top like some of the nuts on YouTube have them.

post #18771 of 19190 Old 05-11-2019, 03:50 PM

I played ps3 ps4 xbox one x and pc and they where spot on!!!!(1080p and 2160p)

Also watched blue ray and uhd blue ray and digital tv they where spot on.

Grz NL PANCAKE
post #18772 of 19190 Old 05-11-2019, 03:59 PM

If you watch your tv in daylight just increase the brightness level to 15 for cinema pro mode(20/25 for game mode)

These settings are for night time use.

Grz NL PANCAKE
post #18773 of 19190 Old 05-11-2019, 04:22 PM

Sorry for the bad english.
post #18774 of 19190 Old 05-11-2019, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Which update? 6.5850?

Yeap, looks like 6.5850 was released on 4/23 (replacing 6.5805):

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/00016043

Note that this "Resolves a condition where there's no sound from the TV when output through a home audio system (Sound Bar, A/V Receiver, etc.)" This was noted after the release of 6.5805 as an issue that would be fixed.

I'm still hesitant to update and will wait for some reports on how smooth 6.5850 goes before doing mine...
post #18775 of 19190 Old 05-11-2019, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Need a bit of help guys.. Using a nvidia shield with my 900e. I have 2 movies identical movies and I'm playing 1080p then 4k version. I have the picture mode set on auto. The 4k looks very much darker than the 1080p. Any what's going on here?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #18776 of 19190 Old 05-11-2019, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis9 View Post
Need a bit of help guys.. Using a nvidia shield with my 900e. I have 2 movies identical movies and I'm playing 1080p then 4k version. I have the picture mode set on auto. The 4k looks very much darker than the 1080p. Any what's going on here?

Picture more to auto? I'm confused.

post #18777 of 19190 Old 05-11-2019, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Picture more to auto? I'm confused.

Auto picture mode to audio.. Other options would be hdr, off, etc.

post #18778 of 19190 Old 05-11-2019, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis9 View Post
Auto picture mode to audio.. Other options would be hdr, off, etc.

Oh I see now. I just wasn't following, sorry.

post #18779 of 19190 Old 05-11-2019, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone have constant issues with Google's video apps (YouTube/Movies) and HDR?

I'll get an HDR icon in the TV video menu, but the HDR is clearly not engaged. Other times, I'll get the opposite!

The other night, I bought 4K John Wick 2 through Google and neither app would play it correct with the TV's HDR set to Auto. I eventually switched it to HDR10 and it seemed to engage HDR, but the brightness stayed at 20.

Also, the YouTube app struggles to play 4K/60 video clips with noticeable stuttering. Playback of the same video through my PS4 Pro is perfectly smooth, and the HDR works!

I've become quite tired of issues like this.

Edit - Latest firmware here.
post #18780 of 19190 Old 05-12-2019, 12:24 AM

Try these settings people and let me know you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page