2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 627 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40382Likes

post #18781 of 19200 Old 05-12-2019, 12:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by NL PANCAKE View Post
Hello people i'm new too the forum.
Im from the Netherlands.
I have the XE9005(X900E) for 1 year and a couple months.

I went tru a couple off calibrations on the internet but that's not the way too do it.

I downloaded the AVS HD 709 DISC and burd it om a dvd(AVCHD)

I calibrate the black level and the contrast of my screen with the following settings and i think i found the sweet spot for cinema pro and game mode(SDR).

Backlight 10
Contrast 96
Gamma 0
Black Level 49
Black ajust off
Adv. Contrast enhancer off
Auto local dimming medium
X-tended Dynamic Range off

Color 50 (53 on game mode)
Hue 0
Colour temperature Expert 1
Adv. Colour temperature (no adjustments)
Live Colour off

Sharpness 50
Reality Creation off (on for older content)
Smooth gradation off (on for older content,(NOT FOR GAMES)

Motionflow True Cinema (OFF IN GAME MODE
Film mode low (GREYED OUT IN GAME MODE)

HDR mode auto
HDMI video range Limited
Colour space auto

My settings may be wrong for your set,but you can give it a try.

I suggest you calibrate black level and the contrast off your screen with the AVS HD 709 Disk and see what you people think about this amazing tv.

I calibrated my display using the ps3
Odd enough rgb and ycbcr had the same settings when calibrating the display.

Color 53 on game mode is a personal preference.

PEACE !!!
These settings look almost the same as the ones I have used for my sister's 65X900E.

I only bumped up the backlight to 20 I think because they watch a fair amount of time with daylight coming in the room. Black level at 50, contrast 95 from the top of my head. Everything else exactly the same as yours. Don't think you could deviate too much from this in order to get a "correct" picture (with the exception of having the white balance properly calibrated which is not the case here).

Btw what settings do you use for HDR content? I still need to dial those in regarding contrast and black level using basic test patterns. I think everything else is the same as SDR. I remember bumping up the gamma to +1 in order to get just a little more pop to the HDR picture (I'm a Z9D owner myself ).

I deliberately left the TV on the old firmware (auto update is diabled) as I'm very concerned about all of the issues with last couple of firmware updates (did the same thing for my own Sony TVs)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18782 of 19200 Old 05-12-2019, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
For HDR i use the same settings,it looks great.
post #18783 of 19200 Old 05-12-2019, 01:05 AM

I need too fine tune it,but i like the picture balance with these settings(SDR AND HDR)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18784 of 19200 Old 05-12-2019, 02:49 AM

Later this day i will post my settings again and a little step by step guide.(SDR and HDR).

Last edited by NL PANCAKE; 05-12-2019 at 10:51 AM.
post #18785 of 19200 Old 05-12-2019, 07:32 AM

Hello Friends.
I'm new here at avs forum.(as a member)
I searched here allot in the past.(10 years)
You can find tons of information here.
It helpt me allot.(thanks everybody)
I have the XE9005/X900E for about a year and a couple of months and its a amazing tv.

Here are my settings that i use and a little guide for SDR and HDR(black level and contrast are calibrated with the PS3 and the AVS HD 709 disc)
These settings are for Cinema pro and Game mode

Lets begin.

The first two settings were gonna change are hdmi video range and hdmi signal format.

hdmi video range:LIMITED for ALL hdmi inputs(1,2,3,4).
Set the hdmi video range for PS3,PS4/PRO,XBOX ONE X,PC,BLUE RAY Player ect ect also to LIMITED to match with the tv.

hdmi signal format:Enhanced format(only for hdmi 2 and 3).
This option will open hdmi inputs 2 and 3 for playing content such as 4k60 and 4k60 HDR(use a compatible hdmi cable).

The Screen format options in the home settings menu are greyed out when the resolution is 2160p but when the resolution is 1080p set Wide mode to full and Diplay area to Full pixel.

Picture settings.

Picture mode:Cinema pro or Game.
Auto picture mode: off
Brightness:10 (20/25 during day time for Game mode,Cinema pro during the day 15 and max for HDR)
Colour:50 (53 in Game mode)
Light sensor: off

Advanced settings.

Contrast:96
Gamma:0
Black level:49
Black adjust: off
Adv.contrast enhancer: off
Auto local dimming:medium
X-tended dynamic range: off (you can turn it on for HDR content to get the highest peaks the tv offers but most off the time it seems to work like an contrast enhancer and adds lots of blooming to the picture)

Hue:0
Colour temperature:Expert 1
Adv. colour temperature:No adjustments
Live color: off

Sharpness:50
Reality Creation: off (on for older content)
Smooth gradation: off (on for older content,NOT FOR GAMES)

Motionflow:True cinema (off in Game mode)
Film mode:Low (greyed out in Game mode)

HDR mode:Auto
Hdmi video range:Limited
Colour space:Auto

I used the PS3 to calibrate the black level and contrast with the AVS HD 709 calibration disc in rgb LIMITED and ycbcr mode and i suggest you do the same.
Odd enough the calibration was the same in rgb LIMITED and ycbcr mode.(the other two sony tv's i have had different settings between the two modes but they where minor)
With these settings the picture on my set is spot on for all my content with or without HDR.(PS3,PS4/PRO,XBOX ONE X,PC,MOVIES ect ect)
Give these settings a try and let me know what you guys think about it.

PEACE!
hsinnott likes this.

Last edited by NL PANCAKE; 05-13-2019 at 04:34 AM.
post #18786 of 19200 Old 05-13-2019, 04:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis9 View Post
Need a bit of help guys.. Using a nvidia shield with my 900e. I have 2 movies identical movies and I'm playing 1080p then 4k version. I have the picture mode set on auto. The 4k looks very much darker than the 1080p. Any what's going on here?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Is the 4K version in HDR? Because HDR is much darker than regular.

Also, it could be the movie itself.
The Matrix in 1080p was mastered differently than 4k. The 1080p version looks like junk. The 4k version was a re-scan of the original film, and the post processing was fixed to remove all the junk they added to the 1080p version.

Sony x900e, Sony STR-DN1080, Sony Core Series speakers (5.1.2), NVidia Shield TV, Synology 4 bay NAS (12TB total)
post #18787 of 19200 Old 05-13-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Hello Friends.
I'm new here at avs forum.(as a member)
I searched here allot in the past.(10 years)
You can find tons of information here.
It helpt me allot.(thanks everybody)
I have the XE9005/X900E for about a year and a couple of months and its a amazing tv.

Here are my settings that i use and a little guide for SDR and HDR(black level and contrast are calibrated with the PS3 and the AVS HD 709 disc)
These settings are for Cinema pro and Game mode

Lets begin.

The first two settings were gonna change are hdmi video range and hdmi signal format.

hdmi video range:LIMITED for ALL hdmi inputs(1,2,3,4).
Set the hdmi video range for PS3,PS4/PRO,XBOX ONE X,PC,BLUE RAY Player ect ect also to LIMITED to match with the tv.

hdmi signal format:Enhanced format(only for hdmi 2 and 3).
This option will open hdmi inputs 2 and 3 for playing content such as 4k60 and 4k60 HDR(use a compatible hdmi cable).

The Screen format options in the home settings menu are greyed out when the resolution is 2160p but when the resolution is 1080p set Wide mode to full and Diplay area to Full pixel.

Picture settings.

Picture mode:Cinema pro or Game.
Auto picture mode: off
Brightness:10 (20/25 during day time for Game mode,Cinema pro during the day 15 and max for HDR)
Colour:50 (53 in Game mode)
Light sensor: off

Advanced settings.

Contrast:96
Gamma:0
Black level:49
Black adjust: off
Adv.contrast enhancer: off
Auto local dimming:medium
X-tended dynamic range: off (you can turn it on for HDR content to get the highest peaks the tv offers but most off the time it seems to work like an contrast enhancer and adds lots of blooming to the picture)

Hue:0
Colour temperature:Expert 1
Adv. colour temperature:No adjustments
Live color: off

Sharpness:50
Reality Creation: off (on for older content)
Smooth gradation: off (on for older content,NOT FOR GAMES)

Motionflow:True cinema (off in Game mode)
Film mode:Low (greyed out in Game mode)

HDR mode:Auto
Hdmi video range:Limited
Colour space:Auto

I used the PS3 to calibrate the black level and contrast with the AVS HD 709 calibration disc in rgb LIMITED and ycbcr mode and i suggest you do the same.
Odd enough the calibration was the same in rgb LIMITED and ycbcr mode.(the other two sony tv's i have had different settings between the two modes but they where minor)
With these settings the picture on my set is spot on for all my content with or without HDR.(PS3,PS4/PRO,XBOX ONE X,PC,MOVIES ect ect)
Give these settings a try and let me know what you guys think about it.

PEACE!
As i sayd earlier,these settings are spot on for all my content with or without HDR.(games,movies ect ect)
I just want to make sure i do it the right way.

Last edited by NL PANCAKE; 05-13-2019 at 10:50 AM.
post #18788 of 19200 Old 05-13-2019, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShOcKwAvE85 View Post
Anyone have constant issues with Google's video apps (YouTube/Movies) and HDR?

I'll get an HDR icon in the TV video menu, but the HDR is clearly not engaged. Other times, I'll get the opposite!

The other night, I bought 4K John Wick 2 through Google and neither app would play it correct with the TV's HDR set to Auto. I eventually switched it to HDR10 and it seemed to engage HDR, but the brightness stayed at 20.

Also, the YouTube app struggles to play 4K/60 video clips with noticeable stuttering. Playback of the same video through my PS4 Pro is perfectly smooth, and the HDR works!

I've become quite tired of issues like this.

Edit - Latest firmware here.
Unfortunately how the YouTube App responds is directly related to what Google supports. I don't use the internal apps, so I may be a bit out of date on this, but my understanding is that Google does not support HDR on the internal YouTube App. They do on some devices, but not the Sony Android TV OS. What's worse is that many people who post "HDR" content are doing so in such a way that the content triggers the HDR flag, but does not actually decode into HDR. So while it looks like HDR is supported, the App doesn't actually support it.

As for stuttering, again, that could be how badly the YouTube app is implemented on this platform. Now, that's not to diminish the Sony's processor issues with the stuttering. I'm sure that's a significant factor, and one of the reasons I do not use the internal apps -- the processor just isn't up to supporting such bloated software.

In general my experience is that YouTube is just a mess across all platforms.
post #18789 of 19200 Old 05-13-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
These settings look almost the same as the ones I have used for my sister's 65X900E.

I only bumped up the backlight to 20 I think because they watch a fair amount of time with daylight coming in the room. Black level at 50, contrast 95 from the top of my head. Everything else exactly the same as yours. Don't think you could deviate too much from this in order to get a "correct" picture (with the exception of having the white balance properly calibrated which is not the case here).

Btw what settings do you use for HDR content? I still need to dial those in regarding contrast and black level using basic test patterns. I think everything else is the same as SDR. I remember bumping up the gamma to +1 in order to get just a little more pop to the HDR picture (I'm a Z9D owner myself ).

I deliberately left the TV on the old firmware (auto update is diabled) as I'm very concerned about all of the issues with last couple of firmware updates (did the same thing for my own Sony TVs)...
For HDR i use the same settings.

Contrast 96
Black level 49
Local dimming medium
X-tended dynamic range off (you can turn it on so that your set dilivers the highest peaks but most of the time it seems to work like an contrast enhancer and it adds lots of blooming to the picture or on if you like this setting).

HDR mode auto
Hdmi video range Limited
Colorspace auto

The other settings,same as SDR
I never had any issue with this tv,stock firmware or android 7.0
Android 8.0 is on its way to europe this month or the next.

Sorry for the bad english
hsinnott likes this.

Last edited by NL PANCAKE; 05-13-2019 at 11:09 AM.
post #18790 of 19200 Old 05-13-2019, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
For HDR i use the same settings.

Contrast 96
Black level 49
Local dimming medium
X-tended dynamic range off (you can turn it on so that your set dilivers the highest peaks but most of the time it seems to work like an contrast enhancer and it adds lots of blooming to the picture or on if you like this setting).

HDR mode auto
Hdmi video range Limited
Colorspace auto

The other settings,same as SDR
I never had any issue with this tv,stock firmware or android 7.0
Android 8.0 is on its way to europe this month or the next.

Sorry for the bad english
In order for HDR to be displayed properly, XDR should be engaged at the highest setting at all times for HDR content though.
post #18791 of 19200 Old 05-14-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked: 249
I'm splitting the audio signal from my Shield TV to my TV and sound bar using the AVRKey because I need to send a lossless signal to a HDMI 1.4 amp from the Shield. Problem is I keep getting the annoying "Audio Format Not Supported" message on the TV every few minutes when I'm watching a lossless source (DTS-HD/TrueHD). Is there any way to get rid of the message permanently?

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #18792 of 19200 Old 05-14-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
In order for HDR to be displayed properly, XDR should be engaged at the highest setting at all times for HDR content though.
Thanks for the info,i changed it to high.
post #18793 of 19200 Old 05-15-2019, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

I thought that the brightness and XDR both went to max automatically when an HDR source was detected.
Hetfieldjames likes this.
post #18794 of 19200 Old 05-15-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1758 Post(s)
Liked: 1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfid View Post
I thought that the brightness and XDR both went to max automatically when an HDR source was detected.
It does on my 900E but you can go in and manually change it. I leave it alone, looks so good. Some other clown in an OLED forum told me the 900E is sub par with HDR to which I said they don't know what they are talking about.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #18795 of 19200 Old 05-15-2019, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
It does on my 900E but you can go in and manually change it. I leave it alone, looks so good. Some other clown in an OLED forum told me the 900E is sub par with HDR to which I said they don't know what they are talking about.

IMO the 900E is a damn fine TV and does an excellent job at displaying HDR content.
hsinnott likes this.
post #18796 of 19200 Old 05-15-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
IMO the 900E is a damn fine TV and does an excellent job at displaying HDR content.
Yeah I believe the guy was an OLED snob. Just my opinion but that's how he came off. OLED is incredible but some of their owners are just flat out snobs.

post #18797 of 19200 Old 05-15-2019, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Yeah I believe the guy was an OLED snob. Just my opinion but that's how he came off. OLED is incredible but some of their owners are just flat out snobs.

OLED is not a perfect technology by any means. Always tradeoffs and the 900E is still a great TV. I definitely love mine, especially with HDR content.
post #18798 of 19200 Old 05-16-2019, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
SOLVED: XBR 900e Channel Change Displays Incorrect Channel Number (next channel err)

I purchased a Sony XBR 900e over a year ago and have been fighting only 1 problem: When I change to a channel manually the TV will change to that channel but very-very often display a random channel number in the display. When attempting an up/down/next channel the TV will then change to the next TV channel that was randomly displayed in it's memory/buffer. This has been irritating as I have to manually input channel numbers 75% of the time. After study here, I attempted numerous factory resets (up to 3 in a row) and other procedures to limit running processes, etc to no avail.

The latest SW update was installed and viola, I can now use +/- channel button reliably. It has not barfed and displayed an incorrect channel number once in the last 2 days.

When updating previous SW the frequency and channel ranges where this problem occurred seemed to change e.g.: lately, it was more often happening when switching HD channels although it did occur sporadically when switching SD channels.

Anyway, I again really like this TV and have no problems with any of the internet-based aps. Some have stated Kodi was disabled but I've been using it to play all sorts of content without issue.
post #18799 of 19200 Old 05-18-2019, 12:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked: 249
I think my 900E puts out a better picture in some cases than my P65-E1. If it wasn't for the lack of Dolby Vision it would be perfect, but it's good enough for bedroom viewing.

That said I wish I could figure out how to get the annoying "audio format not supported" messages off the screen. I know there are other people using 900Es with AVRKeys, I have to figure out how they did it with lossless audio.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #18800 of 19200 Old 05-18-2019, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Arc

Good day all, I just did the new update and I still can't get the ARC to work is any process to enable it? It looks like I have it configured correctly so I'm stumped. Thanks in advance....
post #18801 of 19200 Old 05-18-2019, 01:48 PM

Coming from a 40W4000 and a HX853 i decided to buy the X900E and its a amazing tv.(By default)
But when i begin to fine tune the picture i think it gets even better.
I used the AVS HD 709 disc to fine tune only the contrast and brightness.(color is great on this unit)
I tested allot of material such as PS3,PS4/PRO,XBOX ONE X,PC GAMES and MOVIES.
For fine tuning i used a PS3 and used rgb limited and ycbcr mode for calibration.
The first thing i did was setting the dynamic range too limited for all HDMI inputs.
Then i turned off all the settings for calibrating the contrast and brightness and made sure that overscan was off.

After that i turned on local dimming too medium and found out that in the second chapter of the AVS HD 709 disc the contrast needs a little more fine tuning.
Thats all i did.
All i wanna now is,did i do the right thing here with this tv?(because the other two tv's are 1080p non HDR)
And can i use this setting with HDR content?
Also can i use this setting for all my HDMI inputs?

Last edited by NL PANCAKE; 05-18-2019 at 02:20 PM.
post #18802 of 19200 Old 05-19-2019, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Priviledge 4K APP

I downloaded the Priviledge 4K app from Google Play store. When you sign up, you get some 5min. examples of Imax Enhanced Videos with DTS sound. The Picture and sound is better than anything I have ever seen or heard on my 75x900E with a Sony Z9F sound bar. They play in HDR10. Hope to be able to rent videos in this format soon. I hear that Fandango now is going to have some soon.

I just use standard default picture settings, and have not experienced any problems with SDR, 4k, or HDR10 with OTA, Apple 4k TV, or Fire Cube. The DTS sound seems to have more overhead sound and surround than the Atmos movies I have watched.

You do not need a voucher code to sign up with Priviledge 4k. It is from Sony. You can get a code online after you sign up, but it is only for signing on to the app, instead of using your email and password. The Voucher code is only given to new TV Purchasers for a free movie, it is not the same as the other code. Sounds a little confusing, I know. Just wanted to let everyone know about this Imax Enhanced Experience. Hoping that they will add some longer videos, or a show to the app.
post #18803 of 19200 Old 05-20-2019, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still no update here (TN) - any idea how long the slow-roll is going to go?
post #18804 of 19200 Old 05-20-2019, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Williams View Post
Still no update here (TN) - any idea how long the slow-roll is going to go?
Patience Padawan. Alone, you are not.
John Williams likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #18805 of 19200 Old 05-20-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked: 665
My update appeared yesterday here in Southern California. Installed, no issues so far.
post #18806 of 19200 Old 05-23-2019, 03:49 AM
Advanced Member

With the most recent update, did anyone try and tested playing content using the internal video app? I seem to remember playback was a bit shaky after the previous update, with certain files not playing with sound or not playing at all.
post #18807 of 19200 Old 05-23-2019, 03:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone find it odd I still haven't gotten the update to my 900E? I mean it's been out a long time now.

post #18808 of 19200 Old 05-23-2019, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Received update yesterday (TX). OS is generally much improved and looks more like my 950G OS now.
post #18809 of 19200 Old 05-23-2019, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
With the most recent update, did anyone try and tested playing content using the internal video app? I seem to remember playback was a bit shaky after the previous update, with certain files not playing with sound or not playing at all.
PSVue still stutters after the latest update.
post #18810 of 19200 Old 05-23-2019, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Anyone find it odd I still haven't gotten the update to my 900E? I mean it's been out a long time now.

Your better off NOT upgrading.
mattg3, Hetfieldjames and Tfid like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page