2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 637 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40381Likes

post #19081 of 19188 Old 08-27-2019, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
True, you didn't comment about PQ. Bit of an error on my part to have filled that in for you. You were focusing on one very specific function, though - one that I never use. I simply add the apps to my favorites and pull up what I need instantly with the "Discover" button on the remote.

As to the 480 content, I have a number of TV Series that were only ever broadcast in 480 and I have the complete collections ripped from DVD to my media server. Watching using the native Plex app they are quite fine. Watching using a 4K Fire Stick, they are heavily pixelated from the massively inferior upscaling that the Fire Stick does to 4K. Watching using a non-4K Fire Stick is at least "ok" since the stick upscales only to 1080 and does that "well enough."

Set top boxes are a different animal as many of them allow for native resolution to be passed through to the TV and the TV allowed to do all of the upscaling. These kinds of settings were actually discussed in a bit of detail at least on the thread for the 940D because it made SUCH a difference.

Ahh, I don't have access to the 'Discover' button because I think the 900E remote is way worse than my Sony XBR9 remote from 2008, so I use that old remote and HDMI CEC to control a Nvidia Shield and Vizio sound bar along with the TV. I like to have all my external devices connected to the TV first and use ARC back to the sound bar for audio. I only have to switch inputs on the TV and can ignore the sound bar inputs. I have many DVDs ripped in 480. I'll do an experiment with different apps on the TV and Shield to see if I notice any difference. I don't use the Shield for 4K content because I don't have a 4K disk reader on my computer to do 4K rips, and my Internet is only 10Mbps, so I have it set to output at 1080 and let the TV get it to 4K for viewing. I don't use Plex, but I can try other players on the TV. I still can't stand the TV's home screen with a bunch of app icons in different 'channels' like Sony select that I can't move or remove. BTW, I love the channel guide and RF stations from OTA. It removes my desire to get a network tuner and viewer app (HDHomerun).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19082 of 19188 Old 08-27-2019, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfid View Post
Ahh, I don't have access to the 'Discover' button because I think the 900E remote is way worse than my Sony XBR9 remote from 2008, so I use that old remote and HDMI CEC to control a Nvidia Shield and Vizio sound bar along with the TV. I like to have all my external devices connected to the TV first and use ARC back to the sound bar for audio. I only have to switch inputs on the TV and can ignore the sound bar inputs. I have many DVDs ripped in 480. I'll do an experiment with different apps on the TV and Shield to see if I notice any difference. I don't use the Shield for 4K content because I don't have a 4K disk reader on my computer to do 4K rips, and my Internet is only 10Mbps, so I have it set to output at 1080 and let the TV get it to 4K for viewing. I don't use Plex, but I can try other players on the TV. I still can't stand the TV's home screen with a bunch of app icons in different 'channels' like Sony select that I can't move or remove. BTW, I love the channel guide and RF stations from OTA. It removes my desire to get a network tuner and viewer app (HDHomerun).
In a perfect world, the Shield would have an option to output at native resolution - 480, 720, 1080... And the TV could then handle the upscale 100%.

Try using a generic "video player" app to play one of your DVD rips off of a USB stick (or whatever media system you might be able to access via DLNA or similar). Then try the exact same file via the exact same method with the built-in video app on the TV. Also, try setting the Shield's output to 4K when you play the file. It's possible that the Shield will do a decent job of upscaling, but my bet is that you WILL see a difference if you play it native to the TV.

I hate the home screen too... But I never access it unless I'm headed to the "Settings" section.

I have the HDHomeRun tuners (multiple) because it allows me to watch from ANY of the sets I have in the house AND I can record content with Plex (lifetime Plex Pass holder). When I just want to 'watch TV', though, I tend to use the HDHR app because the Plex app has issues with lip sync because of ARC sometimes. HDHR never does. The Plex app on the Fire Sticks ALWAYS has lip sync issues with Arc when watching live TV but never with recorded content. Weird.
post #19083 of 19188 Old 08-30-2019, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone notice DSE get worse over time? I've had some areas that were visible since I bought the tv and have learned to live with it. But lately I'm noticing a vertical band running down the near center and some very faint lines going down the screen in various areas. It really started showing itself while playing the new game "Control", which does feature a decent amount of gray concrete, so maybe that's adding to it. Either way it's becoming distracting when panning the camera.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19084 of 19188 Old 08-31-2019, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Ran the update a few weeks ago and haven't had any issues. I haven't noticed any big improvements but I don't generally use the TV for my smart functions. So far I am quite satisfied with my 900e after more than a year of use. I went with CNET settings for the most part.
bradman likes this.
post #19085 of 19188 Old 09-01-2019, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Weird image lag / blurring on blu-ray?

I've had my 900E for just about 2 years and never really had any issues with it. All content looked fantastic including Blu-ray and 4k Blu-ray content. I use it daily for netflix, hulu, and regular tv but hadn't watched a blu-ray for several months on it. I rented "crimes of Grindlewald" and didn't really notice anything until a scene with fog. I first noticed the issue when looking at their faces. It was almost like their features lagged behind their motion by a millisecond or something. The frame rate seemed a bit laggy and I noticed the screen shaking as the camera would pan left or right. The picture just didn't look as sharp as it should have. 4k content on discs still looks great, as does HD streamed content. This issue only seems to be present on 1080p Blu Ray discs, and wasn't there before. I watched Avengers: Endgame last night on Blu-Ray and was just straight up annoyed as facial features seemed to have an almost soft-focus on them and that weird lag was still there as was the bad shaking when the camera panned.

I'd seen something about an update screwing 24p content for this series of TV's but I'm not sure what to to fix it. Now that I've seen this issue occurring I can't stop seeing it when watching a movie.

(on a side note I thought these tv's were supposed to upscale 1080p to 4k? I've not seen that on any blu-rays I've watched so far)

Hope what I typed made sense. This is thoroughly annoying as almost all of the library is still 1080p blu ray stuff.

Paradigm Monitor 11, Center 3, Atoms Rears
Klipsch RW-12D Subwoofer
Anthem MRX-510
Sony XBR65X900E / Sony UBPX800
Onkyo DX-C390 / PS4 Pro
post #19086 of 19188 Old 09-02-2019, 05:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinkeh View Post
I've had my 900E for just about 2 years and never really had any issues with it. All content looked fantastic including Blu-ray and 4k Blu-ray content. I use it daily for netflix, hulu, and regular tv but hadn't watched a blu-ray for several months on it. I rented "crimes of Grindlewald" and didn't really notice anything until a scene with fog. I first noticed the issue when looking at their faces. It was almost like their features lagged behind their motion by a millisecond or something. The frame rate seemed a bit laggy and I noticed the screen shaking as the camera would pan left or right. The picture just didn't look as sharp as it should have. 4k content on discs still looks great, as does HD streamed content. This issue only seems to be present on 1080p Blu Ray discs, and wasn't there before. I watched Avengers: Endgame last night on Blu-Ray and was just straight up annoyed as facial features seemed to have an almost soft-focus on them and that weird lag was still there as was the bad shaking when the camera panned.

I'd seen something about an update screwing 24p content for this series of TV's but I'm not sure what to to fix it. Now that I've seen this issue occurring I can't stop seeing it when watching a movie.

(on a side note I thought these tv's were supposed to upscale 1080p to 4k? I've not seen that on any blu-rays I've watched so far)

Hope what I typed made sense. This is thoroughly annoying as almost all of the library is still 1080p blu ray stuff.

These TVs upscale everything to 4k.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #19087 of 19188 Old 09-02-2019, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfid View Post
Also, is any 4K (HDR or not) audio in DTSHD-MA, or are they all Dolby TrueHD? I don't care about Atmos (for rich people, not me). I've always liked the sound of DTS better than DD when it's decoded by my 5.1 sound bar.
I am in a similar boat. I have a Denon x2300 which can handle Atmos, but I'm currently using a 7.1 setup with no Atmos speakers.
I LOVE DTS audio and much prefer it. be it straight DTS, DTS-HDMA, or DTS X(I love this one a lot) I find Atmos audio a little thin.
That said, I've also noticed most 4K releases only go with Atmos or TrueHD audio tracks which I find disappointing.

The Jurassic Park movies, Harry Potter, Bourne Movies, Mummy, and Fast & Furious moves to name a few have DTS HDMA or DTS X audio in 4K and they're pretty great.
I'm pretty disappointed the MCU movies for the 4K releases seem to favor the Atmos/TrueHD combo vs DTS, so far I've found most to be lacking and would have preferred a DTS track.
*just my 2 cents
post #19088 of 19188 Old 09-03-2019, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
DTS and Dolby are like the Coke and Pepsi of the Audio Video world. Studios pick one format for mastering and use it.

I have seen cases where the BR movie has DTS and the 4k version has Dolby. Wonder if there are incentives behind this, or the software to master all of this only supports a certain audio format only.

Sony x900e, Sony STR-DN1080, Sony Core Series speakers (5.1.2), NVidia Shield TV, Synology 4 bay NAS (12TB total)
post #19089 of 19188 Old 09-03-2019, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs View Post
I am having the HDMI Arc not working going into my Yamaha YSP 1600 Soundbar. This happened before I got the Oreo update. We had a power outage and after it came back on, no more HDMI Arc. I can display the Yamaha menu through the HDMI cord hooked up to the ARC but I'm not getting sound coming down the other way.

If I can't get the ARC to work is there any special setting to get TOSLINK up and running? I'm not getting sound out of it yet either, though I just tried it. Yamaha powers up and players internal levels.

Not sure how to proceed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrobnjak View Post
I am in the same boat as you. The update broke my ARC HDMI control to my Yamaha receiver and I cannot get sound through my external speakers. I have been messing with it for hours now, contacted Sony help, tried just about everything, no resolution. They gave me some number to call after level 1 couldn't help me but I thought I'd check the forums first. I have an optical cable but my TV is wall mounted and heavy as crap, I can't find even where the optical port is on the TV to try that. But even if that works I am not happy about another cable dangling from the TV, HDMI ARC should effin' work!
Did you guys ever figure this out? I've been having the same issues since the the May update. The strange thing is, that before that update, many people were having the problem across multiple receivers and my Yamaha was happy as a clam playing ARC audio. The update was supposed to fix that issue for those having problems (according to many it fixed it) however that fix caused the very same problem on my Yamaha that it was supposed to be fixing! I've gone back and forth with Sony support to no avail. They sent me the basic BS boiler-plate process of reboot, soft-reset of the TV, then Hard reset, delete data/temp/cache of the various sony system apps, etc... I'm not sure how or why but one time a month ago I got it to work by deleting the cache, having all cables unpluged, rebooting, then reconnecting the HDMI again. It worked just for that day and the next day it didn't work and nothing I did restored the audio. It's odd because I see that the Yamaha receiver (it's less than a year old) sees the audio config as it shows the right speaker combo when it clicks in but there's no sound. It's like the TV sends a signal that has the config but zero sound data. Very frustrating to not be able to use my receiver and speakers.

Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3100
DaLite 106" Cinemavision Permwall
Sony XBR65X900E
Samsung UN65HU8550
Toshiba Cinema Series 52LX177
post #19090 of 19188 Old 09-03-2019, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinkeh View Post
This television is ONLY capable of displaying content in 4K. Period. Always and forever. No way around it.

If any content is fed to the set at less than 4K, the set MUST upscale the image in order to be able to display it. This is how all sets work.

You are confusing what you see from the "Display" information which is showing you the ORIGINAL content resolution. If it showed you the DISPLAYED resolution, every single thing you ever watched would show 4K. That's not meaningful to show because the final content is always 4K.

Does that help?
Cheddarhead likes this.
post #19091 of 19188 Old 09-03-2019, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweezilz View Post
Did you guys ever figure this out? I've been having the same issues since the the May update. The strange thing is, that before that update, many people were having the problem across multiple receivers and my Yamaha was happy as a clam playing ARC audio. The update was supposed to fix that issue for those having problems (according to many it fixed it) however that fix caused the very same problem on my Yamaha that it was supposed to be fixing! I've gone back and forth with Sony support to no avail. They sent me the basic BS boiler-plate process of reboot, soft-reset of the TV, then Hard reset, delete data/temp/cache of the various sony system apps, etc... I'm not sure how or why but one time a month ago I got it to work by deleting the cache, having all cables unpluged, rebooting, then reconnecting the HDMI again. It worked just for that day and the next day it didn't work and nothing I did restored the audio. It's odd because I see that the Yamaha receiver (it's less than a year old) sees the audio config as it shows the right speaker combo when it clicks in but there's no sound. It's like the TV sends a signal that has the config but zero sound data. Very frustrating to not be able to use my receiver and speakers.
Umm, I finally gave up and am using a Toslink cable out of the TV to the Yamaha soundbar. I'm losing DD+ this way, but I don't know of anything left to do.

JVC RS500, Denon 7200WA, 7.2.4 Atmos/DTSX dedicated Theater. 133" Dalite 1.3 screen. M&K S150 + K7 ear level, 4 Tannoy DC overheads.
post #19092 of 19188 Old 09-03-2019, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweezilz View Post
Negative. After spending almost an entire Saturday on this bull$&1t (10 AM to 3 PM), I caved and connected an optical cable. It now works, but I have an extra cable dangling from my wall mounted TV, when it *should* work perfectly fine with just the HDMI...
post #19093 of 19188 Old 09-03-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Negative. After spending almost an entire Saturday on this bull$&1t (10 AM to 3 PM), I caved and connected an optical cable. It now works, but I have an extra cable dangling from my wall mounted TV, when it *should* work perfectly fine with just the HDMI...
Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs View Post
Umm, I finally gave up and am using a Toslink cable out of the TV to the Yamaha soundbar. I'm losing DD+ this way, but I don't know of anything left to do.

That sucks. I'm going to mess with it one more time since I did get it to work once. Probably won't work the next day anyway. I wonder if it works in another HDMI input? I probably have an old optical cable somewhere I can hook up. Mine is all contained behind the TV with fairly easy access so I guess that isn't too bad, but still a pain to have to switch to the input every time I want to use it. Maybe it will be mysteriously fixed next update and everyone else's will break again.

Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3100
DaLite 106" Cinemavision Permwall
Sony XBR65X900E
Samsung UN65HU8550
Toshiba Cinema Series 52LX177
post #19094 of 19188 Old 09-03-2019, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
While the concept is great, there is one major flaw to this method...

Streaming devices pretty much universally do not afford you the opportunity to pass content through to the TV in native format. Everything upscales the content to the max quality that is supported between the device and the TV - in some cases, 1080 and in others 4K. Most of the streaming devices out there have inferior upscaling technology compared to what the TV can do natively and the overall picture quality is WORSE via a streaming device than it is when using built-in apps in the TV itself.

Cases in point:

Amazon Fire Stick 4K: Streaming of 480 content via the Plex app off of my local server is significantly poorer and borderline unwatchable compared to using the in-built app. Streaming of 720 content is noticeably poorer, but still generally watchable. The step from 1080 to 4K is "small" and you have to look close to see the deficiency. For 720 and 1080, this holds true for streaming content from online providers as well.

Amazon Fire Stick (non-4K): All of the same issues as the 4K stick, but surprisingly not as bad. I suspect that the upscaling to 4K is the real problem for this device and upscaling to 1080 is something it's generally better at overall. Since the TV still does an excellent job from 1080 to 4K, the end result isn't "as bad."

I've gotten similar quality issues when watching shows OTA using the HDHomeRun app native to the TV versus through the Fire Stick. If the show is 1080, hard to notice a difference. As the broadcast signal quality drops, the delta between the streaming device upscaling the content and the TV doing it natively gets wider (TV wins every time).

Any streaming device that supports passing content through in its native format doesn't have this issue (like BD player). As much as I would love to be able to use the TV as only a monitor, the loss in PQ from using a streaming device negates the option of doing it. Until I find a streaming device that allows me to pass all content through in native form, I'm using the built-in apps for Netflix, HDHomeRun, and Plex. I don't watch content from other sources but rarely (there is exactly ONE show on Amazon that I watch when it moves over for the current season to be streamed), so these do everything I need.

You're kind of splitting hairs here...The OTA guide is either present or not, based on the provider/tower. Decoding the content (like this set can do) to overlay it on the screen really has absolutely nothing to do with PQ which is what the real intent of the statement is about.
Funny you say that.

This past week I had to switch from using the Netflix app on my NVIDIA Shield to the Netflix app within the Sony Android TV. (Netflix on my Shield has become almost useless since the latest Shield update, many shows just refuse to play. And the CAT5 port died. ARGH!)

Surprise! The image quality of shows on the Sony Netflix app is WAY BETTER.

Albeit it could be some settings I have miss configured on Shield but I haven't been able to check yet (can't compare in Shield Netflix app currently anyways). I'm fairly certain I have enhanced HDMI configured and I'm using the HDMI2 port, will need to double-check.
post #19095 of 19188 Old 09-03-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseyGoosey View Post
Funny you say that.

This past week I had to switch from using the Netflix app on my NVIDIA Shield to the Netflix app within the Sony Android TV. (Netflix on my Shield has become almost useless since the latest Shield update, many shows just refuse to play. And the CAT5 port died. ARGH!)

Surprise! The image quality of shows on the Sony Netflix app is WAY BETTER.

Albeit it could be some settings I have miss configured on Shield but I haven't been able to check yet (can't compare in Shield Netflix app currently anyways). I'm fairly certain I have enhanced HDMI configured and I'm using the HDMI2 port, will need to double-check.

One thing to consider regarding Netflix between the Shield and the native app on this TV is that the Native App I believe sets the display to Cinema Home as a result of 24p content playing. That's not the case with the Shield, however, if you're streaming Local Content using apps such as Plex or Kodi on the Shield, setting your display to switch its refresh rate to 24p when the required content is playing could require further display adjustments, which may or may not improve image quality to your liking.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #19096 of 19188 Old 09-03-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
One thing to consider regarding Netflix between the Shield and the native app on this TV is that the Native App I believe sets the display to Cinema Home as a result of 24p content playing. That's not the case with the Shield, however, if you're streaming Local Content using apps such as Plex or Kodi on the Shield, setting your display to switch its refresh rate to 24p when the required content is playing could require further display adjustments, which may or may not improve image quality to your liking.
95% of my media consumption is streaming of Netflix, Playstation Vue, Youtube, and MLB.TV. 5% is Plex local content over LAN.

Is it common to interpret 24p as "better looking"?
post #19097 of 19188 Old 09-03-2019, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
95% of my media consumption is streaming of Netflix, Playstation Vue, Youtube, and MLB.TV. 5% is Plex local content over LAN.

Is it common to interpret 24p as "better looking"?
I wouldn't say that it is "better looking" but some people are more sensitive to viewing content not in right refresh rate than others.
From my personal experience, I recall setting "Auto Picture Mode" to "Auto(24p)" and discovered that I needed to make additional adjustments to the brightness and contrast when the appropriate content was played.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #19098 of 19188 Old 09-03-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think you're correct as a default, but I check all of my apps when I first launch them to ensure that they are all set to Custom and they stay that way going forward.
post #19099 of 19188 Old 09-03-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I wouldn't say that it is "better looking" but some people are more sensitive to viewing content not in right refresh rate than others.
From my personal experience, I recall setting "Auto Picture Mode" to "Auto(24p)" and discovered that I needed to make additional adjustments to the brightness and contrast when the appropriate content was played.
It is a much improved image quality and isn't related to refresh. What you're talking about is more about the sensitivity to motion and picking up judder with the naked eye. This is about the "graininess" of the image overall. Native apps upscale the content ONCE, in the TV. External streaming devices are very often upscaling the content to 4K very poorly (like the Fire Stick 4K) or only to 1080 (like the Fire Stick) and then it's done again by the TV. Either way, there is no comparison between streaming content on a Fire Stick and using a built in app if the native image is below 1080. 1080 is sometimes a wash or can still show a slight advantage with the native app.
post #19100 of 19188 Old 09-03-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
It is a much improved image quality and isn't related to refresh. What you're talking about is more about the sensitivity to motion and picking up judder with the naked eye. This is about the "graininess" of the image overall. Native apps upscale the content ONCE, in the TV. External streaming devices are very often upscaling the content to 4K very poorly (like the Fire Stick 4K) or only to 1080 (like the Fire Stick) and then it's done again by the TV. Either way, there is no comparison between streaming content on a Fire Stick and using a built in app if the native image is below 1080. 1080 is sometimes a wash or can still show a slight advantage with the native app.
For my wife and I, it seemed the clarity and "sharpness" (in the photography sense) was much improved.

Although the PQ did suddenly have more of the "soap opera effect" then I ever noticed before with the Shield so maybe that's a smoking gun for it being a switch to 24p.
post #19101 of 19188 Old 09-03-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For my wife and I, it seemed the clarity and "sharpness" (in the photography sense) was much improved.

Although the PQ did suddenly have more of the "soap opera effect" then I ever noticed before with the Shield so maybe that's a smoking gun for it being a switch to 24p.
Try changing the picture settings to whatever you use on the input for the Shield and see if the SOE goes away.
post #19102 of 19188 Old 09-04-2019, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just set up a Google Nest Hub and found that I can control some XBR 900E functions with my voice. I can turn it on/off, cast videos to it and control the volume. Is there a way to link the Nest Hub to my Spectrum cable box or some sort of app which would let me change cable TV channels?
post #19103 of 19188 Old 09-04-2019, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Question, with the newest firmware - have any of you experienced any issues with wi-fi performance? I was using the built-in Netflix app (more out of convenience than anything) and noticed that even though I have the premium Ultra HD plan I wasn't getting anything better than 4mpbs/1080 streaming, regardless of how long it took to buffer. In fact, even a search for 4K shows on Netflix revealed they were all "broadcast" with the HD moniker as opposed to the Ultra HD or 4K box that used to be on the title page.

I then immediately switched ports over to my Roku Streaming Stick+ and immediately streamed several shows in HDR or Ultra HD without a hitch. I didn't have time to do a reset but has anyone had similar problems?
post #19104 of 19188 Old 09-05-2019, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
For those having this issue. Did the Speakers setting on the TV change on you? It it now set to Internal Speakers?
Sometimes when powering up my devices, the TV will set itself to Internal Speakers and Ill have to change it manually, thus making it look like ARC (sound return channel) is not working.

I disabled CEC control on the AVR to prevent the TV from changing this setting. Now the TV doesnt change this on me. I do use a Harmony remote so CEC is actually not needed and recommended disabled.

Sony x900e, Sony STR-DN1080, Sony Core Series speakers (5.1.2), NVidia Shield TV, Synology 4 bay NAS (12TB total)
post #19105 of 19188 Old 09-05-2019, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n View Post
For those having this issue. Did the Speakers setting on the TV change on you? It it now set to Internal Speakers?
Sometimes when powering up my devices, the TV will set itself to Internal Speakers and Ill have to change it manually, thus making it look like ARC (sound return channel) is not working.

I disabled CEC control on the AVR to prevent the TV from changing this setting. Now the TV doesnt change this on me. I do use a Harmony remote so CEC is actually not needed and recommended disabled.
After the update, my 900E would randomly switch the speaker setting to internal.
post #19106 of 19188 Old 09-05-2019, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewahl View Post
Question, with the newest firmware - have any of you experienced any issues with wi-fi performance? I was using the built-in Netflix app (more out of convenience than anything) and noticed that even though I have the premium Ultra HD plan I wasn't getting anything better than 4mpbs/1080 streaming, regardless of how long it took to buffer. In fact, even a search for 4K shows on Netflix revealed they were all "broadcast" with the HD moniker as opposed to the Ultra HD or 4K box that used to be on the title page.

I then immediately switched ports over to my Roku Streaming Stick+ and immediately streamed several shows in HDR or Ultra HD without a hitch. I didn't have time to do a reset but has anyone had similar problems?
I have noticed WIFI issues as well. You can try to run a Speed Test directly from the Netflix app, I think its in the Help section and compare that to a test from the Roku´s Netflix app
vapore0n likes this.
post #19107 of 19188 Old 09-05-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodotdot View Post
I just set up a Google Nest Hub and found that I can control some XBR 900E functions with my voice. I can turn it on/off, cast videos to it and control the volume. Is there a way to link the Nest Hub to my Spectrum cable box or some sort of app which would let me change cable TV channels?

The only way I can think of to do that is to get a harmony hub and link it to the Google hub for voice control. Then you can tell the harmony hub to send commands to the cable box to change the channels via IR.
The 900E can be controlled because it has Wifi, chromcast built in, and is an Android device.
post #19108 of 19188 Old 09-05-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandM View Post
After the update, my 900E would randomly switch the speaker setting to internal.

I have CEC enabled on my TV and use ARC connection to a sound bar. When I turn on the TV, the sound bar hasn't booted yet so the TV switches to internal speakers, but after the sound bar boots up, the TV automatically switches to external speaker system. I think there might be a setting on the TV that controls that behavior.
post #19109 of 19188 Old 09-05-2019, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandM View Post
Avoid the latest update; has caused me many headaches: automatic restarts, breaking HDMI connection with AppleTV4K; losing sound settings; ugh...
I also have this issue. I have a z9d. I just started a thread, if you guys want to post on there.
post #19110 of 19188 Old 09-07-2019, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by bKid23 View Post
Still on pre OREO firmware on my X900E. Any picture quality improvements that make the latest firmware (6.6520) worthwhile?

I’m still on pre OREO firmware and have resisted the temptation to update. I don’t use internal apps and have had the TV calibrated.

I didn’t want issues, be forced to re enter settings etc. Not even sure what version I’m on system software I presume - on the About screen it says
Android version 7
Kernel version 3.10.79
Build BRAVIA-ATV2-UC user 7.0 NRD91N.S139 1.6.0.56.29.1.00 release keys ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65X900E, Oppo UDP-203 Universal Player
Front L&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds & Rears - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Marantz SR6012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version