2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 638 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40390Likes

post #19111 of 19213 Old 09-07-2019, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Not worth it for anyone still on 7.0. For those that have already upgraded to Oreo it's worth it to have the latest ver, IMO, it seems the most stable.
Airsculpture likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19112 of 19213 Old 09-09-2019, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinkeh View Post
I've had my 900E for just about 2 years and never really had any issues with it. All content looked fantastic including Blu-ray and 4k Blu-ray content. I use it daily for netflix, hulu, and regular tv but hadn't watched a blu-ray for several months on it. I rented "crimes of Grindlewald" and didn't really notice anything until a scene with fog. I first noticed the issue when looking at their faces. It was almost like their features lagged behind their motion by a millisecond or something. The frame rate seemed a bit laggy and I noticed the screen shaking as the camera would pan left or right. The picture just didn't look as sharp as it should have. 4k content on discs still looks great, as does HD streamed content. This issue only seems to be present on 1080p Blu Ray discs, and wasn't there before. I watched Avengers: Endgame last night on Blu-Ray and was just straight up annoyed as facial features seemed to have an almost soft-focus on them and that weird lag was still there as was the bad shaking when the camera panned.

I'd seen something about an update screwing 24p content for this series of TV's but I'm not sure what to to fix it. Now that I've seen this issue occurring I can't stop seeing it when watching a movie.
I've seen EXACTLY what you are describing for several months now. Like you said, never noticed it before; it just seemed to have suddenly "happened." Mostly blu-rays during dimly lit, low contrast scenes. Even noticed on some DVDs. Very annoying, and I can't seem to fix it with various combinations of Motionflow and Cinemotion settings. NEVER occurs on cable TV channels or streaming stuff. Weird.
post #19113 of 19213 Old 09-10-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 315
I have seen none of this on my display Ive had for almost two years. Is it possible that its your blu ray player?

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19114 of 19213 Old 09-10-2019, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Is the BluRay player HD or UHD? Is it upscaling before sending to the TV or outputting native? If it's UHD, is the port set to Enhanced? That setting could possibly introduce some oddness if you're upscaling at the player before sending to the TV and it could be introducing some "noise", maybe?
post #19115 of 19213 Old 09-10-2019, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
Is the BluRay player HD or UHD? Is it upscaling before sending to the TV or outputting native? If it's UHD, is the port set to Enhanced? That setting could possibly introduce some oddness if you're upscaling at the player before sending to the TV and it could be introducing some "noise", maybe?
Player is Sony UBP-X800, set to output 1080/24p for everything, output not set to "enhanced." Always used to be a perfect blu-ray picture every time. The "ghosting-trailing" stuff seems to mainly be on brand new discs like Game of Thrones, Mary Queen of Scots, etc; again, in scenes with fog, scenes dimly lit by candlelight, etc. What's strange is it never happens on older blu-rays like Beach Blanket Bingo (OK, I know...), Viva Las Vegas, Vincent Price Collection, etc etc.
post #19116 of 19213 Old 09-10-2019, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayg View Post
Player is Sony UBP-X800, set to output 1080/24p for everything, output not set to "enhanced." Always used to be a perfect blu-ray picture every time. The "ghosting-trailing" stuff seems to mainly be on brand new discs like Game of Thrones, Mary Queen of Scots, etc; again, in scenes with fog, scenes dimly lit by candlelight, etc. What's strange is it never happens on older blu-rays like Beach Blanket Bingo (OK, I know...), Viva Las Vegas, Vincent Price Collection, etc etc.
Interesting. I have that player connected to mine. Haven't watched much that's new that isn't animated (HTTYD 3 was the most recent, but that was in 4K) that I don't just rip first. In fact, I actually only use the player for 4K as everything else goes directly on my media server for in-house streaming.
post #19117 of 19213 Old 09-13-2019, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
what display settings should i use for my firestick plugged into my 900E?
i have the option to change colour depth to 8, 10, or 12
colour format RGB or YCbCr ?
match original frame rate ON or OFF?

thanks
post #19118 of 19213 Old 09-15-2019, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by saku View Post
what display settings should i use for my firestick plugged into my 900E?
i have the option to change colour depth to 8, 10, or 12
colour format RGB or YCbCr ?
match original frame rate ON or OFF?

thanks
With my Nvidia Geforce 2080 TI video card, i can go only up to 8 bit color depth when i want to see HDR content, or else it will fail to load HDR. Image looks better to me when i'm on 12 bit RGB.
post #19119 of 19213 Old 09-15-2019, 02:43 AM

Thought to ask here maybe someone has found a solution for this annoying picture mode changes when connected to an AVR

The thing is that i always stay on the same TV HDMI3 channel, which is the ARC + HDR support, connected to my AVR (Denon x8500h). Due to a single HDMI channel, the setup of the picture mode is always the same when playing source are changing.
For example, PC Gaming machine is connected to the AVR, and i need picture mode = Gaming. Cable channels connected to the AVR and i need picture mode = Cinema pro (to enhance their bad quality picture). In order to do that, i need few remote clicks (and waits) and each time i change the AVR channel i actually need to do these picture mode changes.
Why they did not create this as a shortcut ?? is there a way to workaround it? (since i have the Logitech Harmony if there is a shortcut i can use).
post #19120 of 19213 Old 09-15-2019, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by vourt View Post
Thought to ask here maybe someone has found a solution for this annoying picture mode changes when connected to an AVR

The thing is that i always stay on the same TV HDMI3 channel, which is the ARC + HDR support, connected to my AVR (Denon x8500h). Due to a single HDMI channel, the setup of the picture mode is always the same when playing source are changing.
For example, PC Gaming machine is connected to the AVR, and i need picture mode = Gaming. Cable channels connected to the AVR and i need picture mode = Cinema pro (to enhance their bad quality picture). In order to do that, i need few remote clicks (and waits) and each time i change the AVR channel i actually need to do these picture mode changes.
Why they did not create this as a shortcut ?? is there a way to workaround it? (since i have the Logitech Harmony if there is a shortcut i can use).
The new ALLM feature is what you're talking about and it just didn't exist on older TVs. I don't really understand the complaints since it takes like 5-10 seconds to change and ALLM seems like if could have problems similar to ARC in that all these different devices from who knows how many different manufacturers will be required to talk to each other. But hey, if the feature exists and folks can benefit from it then you'll need a newer TV to benefit but might as well use it.
post #19121 of 19213 Old 09-15-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
The new ALLM feature is what you're talking about and it just didn't exist on older TVs. I don't really understand the complaints since it takes like 5-10 seconds to change and ALLM seems like if could have problems similar to ARC in that all these different devices from who knows how many different manufacturers will be required to talk to each other. But hey, if the feature exists and folks can benefit from it then you'll need a newer TV to benefit but might as well use it.
Thanks!, good to know thy thought about it but not sure i'm going to replace this TV for this single feature :-). It's a complain since if i was the only one who used the TV then OK but there are children and wife in the house who don't really know / want to get into settings (but i do want them to watch the optimal picture).
post #19122 of 19213 Old 09-15-2019, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
Interesting. I have that player connected to mine. Haven't watched much that's new that isn't animated (HTTYD 3 was the most recent, but that was in 4K) that I don't just rip first. In fact, I actually only use the player for 4K as everything else goes directly on my media server for in-house streaming.
Mine is also the Sony UBPX800. I'll have to check and see if the older blu-rays have this issue but i first noticed it on "Crimes of Grindlewald and Avengers End game" I've no idea what the settings are on my players currently but I know I've not changed any recently and this problem surfaced. I'm going to try changing out the HDMI cable as sometimes I'd have to reseat the cable. This whole issue is terribly frustrating as the local redbox only has blu-ray discs and nothing in 4k. I can't just buy a 30$ 4k movie everytime a new release comes out hehe.

Paradigm Monitor 11, Center 3, Atoms Rears
Klipsch RW-12D Subwoofer
Anthem MRX-510
Sony XBR65X900E / Sony UBPX800
Onkyo DX-C390 / PS4 Pro
post #19123 of 19213 Old 09-16-2019, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 25
This has probably been answered in this thread, but given it's 550+ pages long and my searches haven't found anything, I'll take a risk and repost.

I have an Nvidia Shield connected to HDMI 3 and PS4 Pro on HDMI 4.

Through the Nvidia shield, I use plex and Netflix so have a mix of SDR and HDR content. How in the world do you have different picture settings on the same input depending if it's HDR or SDR content? I didn't see a way to do this in the settings, and when I applied some settings I found in this thread for HDR, my SDR stuff in plex looks incredibly bad.
post #19124 of 19213 Old 09-16-2019, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vourt View Post
Thought to ask here maybe someone has found a solution for this annoying picture mode changes when connected to an AVR [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]

This has been a problem with Sony TVs since the beginning. Older models (15 years ago) had a dedicated “scene” button on the remote, so at least we could press it a few times to change. The current models’ remote does not, so it takes many delayed button presses to get to what we need.

I gave up and just leave it on “game” for everything. If you have a Harmony, then the “scene” function may still exist. You won’t be able to program a specific scene to a button, but you can at least program “scene” to a button, so you can manually cycle through.
post #19125 of 19213 Old 09-16-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorban View Post
This has been a problem with Sony TVs since the beginning. Older models (15 years ago) had a dedicated “scene” button on the remote, so at least we could press it a few times to change. The current models’ remote does not, so it takes many delayed button presses to get to what we need.

I gave up and just leave it on “game” for everything. If you have a Harmony, then the “scene” function may still exist. You won’t be able to program a specific scene to a button, but you can at least program “scene” to a button, so you can manually cycle through.
Thanks, i did that with my Harmony but it is still not the 'easiest' as it should be. Apparently its not only Sony, i had this problem with my Philips and Samsung TV's as well..
post #19126 of 19213 Old 09-16-2019, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_t1 View Post
This has probably been answered in this thread, but given it's 550+ pages long and my searches haven't found anything, I'll take a risk and repost.

Through the Nvidia shield, I use plex and Netflix so have a mix of SDR and HDR content. How in the world do you have different picture settings on the same input depending if it's HDR or SDR content? I didn't see a way to do this in the settings, and when I applied some settings I found in this thread for HDR, my SDR stuff in plex looks incredibly bad.

While displaying SDR content configure your settings to show the best SDR picture, then display HDR content and while the HDR badge is showing configure your HDR settings. The TV should then use SDR and HDR settings correctly. This will only work if you configure each separately and do the HDR settings while you are displaying HDR content.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #19127 of 19213 Old 09-16-2019, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:

I also have a Shield and had the same dilemma. My AVR, a Marantz SR7010 was the solution.

My Shield and Oppo 203 are connected to my AVR. For these devices I use HDMI Output 2 of the AVR to input to my 900E's HDMI 2 Input.

I also have an Xbox One X, which connects to the AVR, which then outputs using the HDMI 1 connection into the 900E's HDMI3/Arc input. (I'll have to double-check this connection because there is a Check list in Xbox's settings in which the TV and Xbox have to be connected in a certain way to allow for HDR and Atmos to work properly.)

With CEC turned off on all devices, I'm able to switch between devices with ease using my Harmony Ultimate Remote. This also allows for me to have custom display settings between two of the devices.

The Xbox One is set to "Game Mode", while the Oppo and Shield use "Custom".

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #19128 of 19213 Old 09-16-2019, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
I also have a Shield and had the same dilemma. My AVR, a Marantz SR7010 was the solution.

My Shield and Oppo 203 are connected to my AVR. For these devices I use HDMI Output 2 of the AVR to input to my 900E's HDMI 2 Input.

I also have an Xbox One X, which connects to the AVR, which then outputs using the HDMI 1 connection into the 900E's HDMI3/Arc input. (I'll have to double-check this connection because there is a Check list in Xbox's settings in which the TV and Xbox have to be connected in a certain way to allow for HDR and Atmos to work properly.)

With CEC turned off on all devices, I'm able to switch between devices with ease using my Harmony Ultimate Remote. This also allows for me to have custom display settings between two of the devices.

The Xbox One is set to "Game Mode", while the Oppo and Shield use "Custom".
So if I'm understanding this correctly, the solution was to group devices with similar profiles onto the same HDMI input? And your setup works because you only do HDR through the Xbox One X? If so, that won't work for me since Plex app (on the Shield) and Netflix app is my source of both HDR and SDR content.

I could get another box to plug into the other HDMI input and switch over to it when I want to watch HDR, but that seems silly to need to do since I don't know when Netflix content will be HDR and when it won't be
post #19129 of 19213 Old 09-16-2019, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
So if I'm understanding this correctly, the solution was to group devices with similar profiles onto the same HDMI input? And your setup works because you only do HDR through the Xbox One X? If so, that won't work for me since Plex app (on the Shield) and Netflix app is my source of both HDR and SDR content.

I could get another box to plug into the other HDMI input and switch over to it when I want to watch HDR, but that seems silly to need to do since I don't know when Netflix content will be HDR and when it won't be
You are over thinking this, refer to my previous post.

Lauch an SDR video and configure settings.

Launch an HDR video and while the HDR video is running configure your HDR settings.

You cannot configure HDR setting if you are not running an HDR video with the HDR logo displayed. Once configured the TV will use the appropriate profile.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4

Last edited by Cheddarhead; 09-16-2019 at 12:39 PM.
post #19130 of 19213 Old 09-16-2019, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm able to get HDR to work on all of my connected devices. With the Xbox One X, there's a specific set up in order for HDR to work which requires a different wiring set up for HDMI and Audio Return from the TV. With the Shield and Oppo 203, all audio is routed to my AVR first.

The issue I was having is being able to set my Display to a specific video mode. I wanted my Xbox One to be set to "Game Mode", while my Shield/Oppo 203 set to "Custom". Using just one HDMI Output on my AVR directly to the TV would not accomplish this unless I created some time-consuming configurations with my Harmony Remote for each device.

By using the separate HDMI Outputs on my AVR, I can connect one cable to HDMI 2 for my Shield and Oppo, and one connection to HDMI 3/Arc on the display for the Xbox. This will allow for separate Video modes on the TV.

Also, in my case, with CEC enabled, whenever I would turn on the Shield or Oppo 203, the display would automatically change from HDMI 2 to HDMI 3/Arc, and I would have to manually set the TV back to HDMI 2. Also, with the connection moving to HDMI 3/ARC, the video settings for my Shield and Oppo 203 were not correct and over-saturated.

With CEC disabled, the display connects to the correct HDMI Connection, and thus the proper video settings for each device are now displayed.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #19131 of 19213 Old 09-16-2019, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post

Launch an HDR video and while the HDR video is running configure your HDR settings.

You cannot configure HDR setting if you are not running an HDR video with the HDR logo displayed. Once configured the TV will use the appropriate profile.
I've tried this and something isn't right for me. I've chosen "Standard" profile, and have SDR content and make adjustments. I then run HDR content (confirmed by the "HDR" badge in the sony settings menu) and change the settings.

I then go back and play SDR content and bring up Sony picture menus. "HDR" badge IS NOT shown, but the HDR settings are still shown as being active, not the previous SDR settings.
post #19132 of 19213 Old 09-16-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post

This is a good point. HDR should be set to Automatic on the Display. HDR will only engage when the actual content has the HDR Metadata to do so.

I think my configuration would address the various Video modes of the TV, rather than HDR/SDR transitions.

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #19133 of 19213 Old 09-16-2019, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've tried this and something isn't right for me. I've chosen "Standard" profile, and have SDR content and make adjustments. I then run HDR content (confirmed by the "HDR" badge in the sony settings menu) and change the settings.

I then go back and play SDR content and bring up Sony picture menus. "HDR" badge IS NOT shown, but the HDR settings are still shown as being active, not the previous SDR settings.
It sounds as if the HDR settings are not "released" when transitioning back to SDR? Is this what you are trying to explain?

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #19134 of 19213 Old 09-16-2019, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It sounds as if the HDR settings are not "released" when transitioning back to SDR? Is this what you are trying to explain?
Yes, either HDR settings weren't released (in other words, it didn't switch to SDR settings), OR, the settings weren't unique to HDR to begin with.
post #19135 of 19213 Old 09-16-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Because your Shield is connected to HDMI 3/Arc, this port should be set to "Enhanced Mode".

Speaking of Plex, along with HDR content, if Refresh Rate switching enabled, be sure that Auto Picture Mode is set to "Auto (24p sync). This will ensure that any content that is 24 Frames Per Second, will change the TV's display mode to "Cinema Home".

Under the Picture Adjustments Menu, within Advanced Settings, then Video Options, a HDR Mode, HDMI Video Range, and Color Space should all be set to "Auto".

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #19136 of 19213 Old 09-17-2019, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
This is the same thing that is happening to me. I have a 4K Roku stick plugged into a Yamaha RX-A670 which runs into Port 3 of the Sony that is set to Enhanced. I will watch a HDR show and when I'll finish and go back to the main menu of the Roku all the HDR settings are still active. Somewhat irritating looking at a screen that bright. I will have to turn the TV off and back on before it reverts back to SDR.
post #19137 of 19213 Old 09-17-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Other than testing HDMI cables, the last resort will be to perform an OS reinstall on the TV.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sony XBR55X900E
XBox One X
post #19138 of 19213 Old 09-18-2019, 02:40 AM

Hi,
Lately i started using the internal TV Android OS for Netflix + my cable TV android app.

Netflix is working very slow but once a show has started, it looks great with HDR and audio.
The cable TV app It is working just just ok with many picture 'lags' and audio issues.
(Audio is passed trough the TV optical output to my AVR)

- Does anybody know if this can be improved? if not i will just buy an android or apple streamer to get this content..
- Is there a way to set a single button, like the Netflix is having on the TV remote control, for another android app? so i can launch my cable TV app without getting first into the slow annoying main menus
post #19139 of 19213 Old 09-18-2019, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So my XBR-55X900E has a solid thin horizontal line across the entire width of the screen. Tried to troubleshoot by unplugging then replugging after about a 30-minute wait. Still there when I plugged it back in so swapped out the set-top box and still there. Next step was to swap cables but still there. So did a hard reset but still there. The unit was bought in October 2017 but I had purchased the Costco extended warranty. Called the warranty folks this morning and they quickly acted and had a service rep evaluate my unit this afternoon. Can't be fixed. Service rep took some pics and said he would send off to warranty company and they would be in touch in the next few days to "buy out the unit". If that is the case will use to purchase a 900F. Will advise once I hear back from the warranty folks.
post #19140 of 19213 Old 09-19-2019, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
So my XBR-55X900E has a solid thin horizontal line across the entire width of the screen. Tried to troubleshoot by unplugging then replugging after about a 30-minute wait. Still there when I plugged it back in so swapped out the set-top box and still there. Next step was to swap cables but still there. So did a hard reset but still there. The unit was bought in October 2017 but I had purchased the Costco extended warranty. Called the warranty folks this morning and they quickly acted and had a service rep evaluate my unit this afternoon. Can't be fixed. Service rep took some pics and said he would send off to warranty company and they would be in touch in the next few days to "buy out the unit". If that is the case will use to purchase a 900F. Will advise once I hear back from the warranty folks.
Hmmm.. No such animal.

I'm guessing what you actually did was buy the TV and then purchased the Squaretrade warranty for it from Costco?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page