2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 639 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40382Likes

post #19141 of 19200 Old 09-19-2019, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is anyone aware of a way to see the frame rate for input sources? I.e. 24fps vs 60fps? I know how to get the resolution.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19142 of 19200 Old 09-23-2019, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anyone have any info on if the new Disney+ service will have an app on our Sony's?
I've seen news blasts talking about the app on Android, and Roku, PS4, but uncertain how specifically this would apply to us.
My big assumption (hope) is that it shows up on the main screen as an app to install, but have't seen anything yet.
post #19143 of 19200 Old 09-23-2019, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temujin69 View Post
Anyone have any info on if the new Disney+ service will have an app on our Sony's?
I've seen news blasts talking about the app on Android, and Roku, PS4, but uncertain how specifically this would apply to us.
My big assumption (hope) is that it shows up on the main screen as an app to install, but have't seen anything yet.

We should be seeing it as Sony's run Android TV. You might have to get it from the Google Play store though. I doubt it will show up on the home screen, but you never know.
Temujin69 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19144 of 19200 Old 09-26-2019, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Any ideas why when watching HDR content the picture looks super dark. When I turn HDR off, the picture looks much brighter with more vivid colors. Same issue when watching DTV 4K or Netflix. I see all these pictures touting HDR vs SDR but I’m just not seeing the so called advantage of watching HDR. Seems like I’m wasting my tv
post #19145 of 19200 Old 09-27-2019, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Does anyone know how to change the Picture Settings for the Home screen? Specifically the Color Temperature.

I have my HDMI input set to "Neutral". I have my Apps input set to "Neutral". But the Home screen is definitely "Warm", it's got a yellow hue to it. I want to change it to Neutral so it matches the rest of the viewing experience.

Since I bounce between HDMI and Apps all day long it is disrupting to see the screen go yellow just to show the Home screen for a brief moment and then go back to Neutral again when I launch Netflix, Prime, etc.

Is there any way to change the color temperature of the Home screen so that it matches the "Neutral" setting of the HDMI and Apps inputs?
post #19146 of 19200 Old 09-28-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Any owners have that "Sony Select" suddenly pop up again on the home page?
post #19147 of 19200 Old 09-30-2019, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
Any owners have that "Sony Select" suddenly pop up again on the home page?
yes, Sony ads are large and impossible to get rid of.

my 900e will not sync by ARC unless I unplug my Denon and plug it back in.

also freezes sometimes since last update.

Maybe wait for new Shield or Roku and forget Sony.
post #19148 of 19200 Old 10-01-2019, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Really a NEWB to all this but here goes.

I could really use some help and a step by step guide.

Fall 2017 I purchased a Sony XBR55900E for a smoking deal at $900.00; everyone on here says to calibrate and I have no idea what they mean? I called my local DTX (Digital Home Theater high end place here). They told me that I would need a 4K Blu Ray Player and the would make a disc for me, they said they won't come out since I have a very low scale unit and it isn't worth their time. Can anyone assist?
post #19149 of 19200 Old 10-01-2019, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmueller9834 View Post

Fall 2017 I purchased a Sony XBR55900E for a smoking deal at $900.00; everyone on here says to calibrate and I have no idea what they mean? I called my local DTX (Digital Home Theater high end place here). They told me that I would need a 4K Blu Ray Player and the would make a disc for me, they said they won't come out since I have a very low scale unit and it isn't worth their time. Can anyone assist?
Calibration means going into the Picture Settings mode and tweaking things like Contrast, White Balance, Noise Reduction, etc. etc.

Don't spend any money on this- don't buy a DVD and don't hire some professional calibrator. Search this thread for "calibration settings" and you'll see a few of them that most of us use and are very happy with.

Enjoy your 900E.
post #19150 of 19200 Old 10-01-2019, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:

You have now spammed multiple forums with the same copy and paste question. ISF calibration is expensive, BB charges $250 for a basic calibration that many on this forum scoff at. Proper calibration takes expensive equipment.

Take the suggestion of others and search for settings recommendations in the 900e forum, lots of them there, or look at rtings.com for 900e settings, or easiest of all use Cinema Pro adjust the brightness and be happy with your TV. Calibration isn't really necessary for you to enjoy your Sony, the color is actually pretty good out of the box. You aren't missing anything.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #19151 of 19200 Old 10-01-2019, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
TV Resets almost every day - Anybody resolve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
My update went through the process, and then two days later, it rebooted and offered the update and went through the process again. Are you sure the update 'took'? Perhaps go to 'check for updates', see if it offers the same one again.

So two months later the tv still goes through the full reboot almost every morning. I have checked all the setting and did the check for updates but says it is all up to date.

Has anybody else gone through this and figured out the problem? It is quite annoying.
post #19152 of 19200 Old 10-01-2019, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakflyer View Post
So two months later the tv still goes through the full reboot almost every morning. I have checked all the setting and did the check for updates but says it is all up to date.

Has anybody else gone through this and figured out the problem? It is quite annoying.
I have a Sony z9d on Oreo 6.6520(newest updated) and I also have these problems. Haven't found a solution.
post #19153 of 19200 Old 10-01-2019, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 2235
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
Calibration means going into the Picture Settings mode and tweaking things like Contrast, White Balance, Noise Reduction, etc. etc.

Don't spend any money on this- don't buy a DVD and don't hire some professional calibrator. Search this thread for "calibration settings" and you'll see a few of them that most of us use and are very happy with.

Enjoy your 900E.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
You have now spammed multiple forums with the same copy and paste question. ISF calibration is expensive, BB charges $250 for a basic calibration that many on this forum scoff at. Proper calibration takes expensive equipment.

Take the suggestion of others and search for settings recommendations in the 900e forum, lots of them there, or look at rtings.com for 900e settings, or easiest of all use Cinema Pro adjust the brightness and be happy with your TV. Calibration isn't really necessary for you to enjoy your Sony, the color is actually pretty good out of the box. You aren't missing anything.
Let's take the discussion and anyone who would like to provide guidance to the member's existing thread on the topic:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...calibrate.html
post #19154 of 19200 Old 10-02-2019, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 157
I'm on the latest firmware and get microstutters at times when playing something from the cable box. I reboot the TV and then it's fine, but it's annoying to always be doing that.

JVC DLA-RS1000, 120″ EluneVision Reference Studio AudioWeave 2.35:1 CinemaScope screen, Marantz AV8802a Pre/Pro, Anthem MCA 525, Anthem MCA 225, Anthem PVA-4, Paradigm CI Elite E80-R ceiling speakers x4, Paradigm Prestige 95F, Paradigm Prestige 15B x4, Paradigm Prestige 55C, Paradigm Signature Sub 1, Panasonic UDP820 UHD player, OPPO 203 UHD player, Richard Gray 1200c Custom power conditioner, AC Infinity AIRCOM X4.
post #19155 of 19200 Old 10-02-2019, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRIBB43 View Post
Any ideas why when watching HDR content the picture looks super dark. When I turn HDR off, the picture looks much brighter with more vivid colors. Same issue when watching DTV 4K or Netflix. I see all these pictures touting HDR vs SDR but I’m just not seeing the so called advantage of watching HDR. Seems like I’m wasting my tv

I feel the same way. Some movies like 'Solo' are so dark they are unwatchable with HDR active. The TV puts 'brightness' and 'dynamic contrast' to 100% when HDR is detected, but it doesn't help much. Different sources of video might help, but I can only use disks like UHD blue ray, or Xbox one X enhanced games, because my DSL speeds are only about 10Mbps. The best example of HDR I found was with YouTube using the TV's built in apps.
If I select a YouTube video with HDR, I can play it at 1080P, and still see the HDR badge in the video settings. If you turn on and off HDR, you can see a difference. Ok, so it's kinda cool, but not cool enough for all the talk it gets on sites like this. Maybe Dolby vision is better, but this will most likely be the last TV I buy because I'm old. I still think this TV is the best LCD I've ever owned.
post #19156 of 19200 Old 10-02-2019, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi friends. I.m new in the forum. I have this problem:
Maybe it has an easy solution? Thanks
post #19157 of 19200 Old 10-02-2019, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Calibration...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post

>Calibration isn't really necessary for you to enjoy your Sony, the color is actually pretty good out of the box.
Have you ever had your TV calibrated? I calibrate my own and find out of the box the colors are off by a good deal. I suppose it depends on what you are used to but for me it's mostly about proper skin tones. For those of you who don't mind sunburned skin tones and think those are normal you are not missing anything. If you compare those to what skin tones look like in real life you will see a big difference. Obviously this doesn't account for different broadcast standards so some channels are worse than others or movies where the director is making some sort of artistic statement.

>Proper calibration takes expensive equipment.
Depends what you mean by expensive. You can do your own calibration and do a darn fine job with free SW and under $260.00 for the required meter. You would also need a laptop. That's it. I've seen the spreadsheet with wildly varying sets of calibrations but one size fits all doesn't always work.

If you are satisfied with your picture there is no need to calibrate. I can guarantee that those who don't will never see all their TV has to offer.

My .02.
pdicamillo likes this.
post #19158 of 19200 Old 10-03-2019, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I put off the latest firmware update until just now and have discovered that the Picture Mode remote code doesn't work anymore. I have a Harmony remote that has some functions programmed to buttons next to the remote screen that aren't on the X900E remote such as Picture Mode. This button was working great until the firmware update.

I switch picture presets based on whether the room lights are on or off, so basically anytime I watch a movie in the dark I switch presets then switch back when the lights come on. Now every time I do this I have to go to the Action Menu, arrow down to Picture Adjustments, and go from there. It's annoying to lose direct access to the Picture Adjustments panel.

Anybody have a fix for this?

Sony XBR-55X900E || Sony UBP-X800 | Sony PS4 Pro | Sony PS3 | Roku Premiere 2018
Sony SCD-555ES || Marantz SR6012 | AC Infinity Aircom T8 || Paradigm Studio 80, 20, CC v2 | Polk OWM3 | PSA XS30
post #19159 of 19200 Old 10-03-2019, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Streaming HDHomeRun in full resolution

Has anyone tried to stream the output of an HDHomeRun tuner to their 900E in full resolution? I have Verizon Fios, and as I write this they have Thursday Night Football on one of their two 4K channels. My Fios cable box is HD but not 4K. However, I have an HDHomeRun Prime which has no problem getting the 4K stream. I tried the HDHomeRun Android app, but it doesn't seem to work on the 900E. It's unresponsive and just displays a small square box at the top left with a green symbol in it. Is there an alternative way I can stream that to the 900E keeping the full resolution, and hopefully minimal if any video processing? The 4K streams from the HDHomeRun work if I put them on a USB stick that I connect to the TV, and use VLC as the player. But I'd like a way to watch the stream in real time.

Last edited by pdicamillo; 10-03-2019 at 07:36 PM.
post #19160 of 19200 Old 10-03-2019, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm_fan View Post
Hi friends. I.m new in the forum. I have this problem: https://youtu.be/F1BFwoeocbA

Maybe it has an easy solution? Thanks

No idea what could that be... One thing i know for sure is the x900E is totally crap! Bought one on January 2018 a year and 8months tv crapped out! Lucky for me i had bought a warranty on it from bestbuy... Got the new 950G and hope it lasts more than 2 years

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #19161 of 19200 Old 10-04-2019, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
HDHomeRun Android App & 900E

Did not know about HDHomeRun App. It loaded onto my 900e, detected my /old HD Dual tuner & displayed menu options. It complained about "Your HDHomeRun DVR was not found" which is true since I did not subscribe to it. When clicking the "Live" button the screen just goes blank (similar to Discover -> Now -> Watch Now). Hitting the back button loads the menus again.

I loaded the HD app on my W10 laptop and it was able to play Live TV w/o issue. It did have to install the MS Visual C++ 2007 library. Not sure if there are any Android library dependencies on the 900E that are not being installed?

Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdicamillo View Post
Has anyone tried to stream the output of an HDHomeRun tuner to their 900E in full resolution? I have Verizon Fios, and as I write this they have Thursday Night Football on one of their two 4K channels. My Fios cable box is HD but not 4K. However, I have an HDHomeRun Prime which has no problem getting the 4K stream. I tried the HDHomeRun Android app, but it doesn't seem to work on the 900E. It's unresponsive and just displays a small square box at the top left with a green symbol in it. Is there an alternative way I can stream that to the 900E keeping the full resolution, and hopefully minimal if any video processing? The 4K streams from the HDHomeRun work if I put them on a USB stick that I connect to the TV, and use VLC as the player. But I'd like a way to watch the stream in real time.

Last edited by EricLEdberg; 10-04-2019 at 06:55 AM.
post #19162 of 19200 Old 10-04-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricLEdberg View Post
Did not know about HDHomeRun App. It loaded onto my 900e, detected my /old HD Dual tuner & displayed menu options. It complained about "Your HDHomeRun DVR was not found" which is true since I did not subscribe to it. When clicking the "Live" button the screen just goes blank (similar to Discover -> Now -> Watch Now). Hitting the back button loads the menus again.

I loaded the HD app on my W10 laptop and it was able to play Live TV w/o issue. It did have to install the MS Visual C++ 2007 library. Not sure if there are any Android library dependencies on the 900E that are not being installed?

Eric
I have HDHomeRun on our 900e and it runs just fine. I suggest submitting a ticket to SiliconDust. They'll walk you through fixing your issues. Good luck.
post #19163 of 19200 Old 10-04-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubaman-z View Post
Is anyone aware of a way to see the frame rate for input sources? I.e. 24fps vs 60fps? I know how to get the resolution.

Thanks.

How do you get the resolution?

I use an old remote from a Sony 2009 XBR9 TV. It has a 'display' button at the top. I use the remote on my 900E and while some of the buttons specific for the old xbr9 don't work, the 'display' button does. It shows the video resolution and audio decoding format. It only works for external HDMI inputs and not from the native apps. I use a Nvidia Shield and Kodi to play FHD (blue ray) rips from a hard drive over USB. When I have Kodi set to adjust the display to the frame rate of the source and play FHD/24P rips in .m2ts format, the TV blanks for a millisecond and comes back. After that the 'display' button shows 3840x2160 / 24p and DTS audio. The video is as smooth as playing the disk. It's not exactly what you want, but it's the only indication of 'frame rate' that I know how to get out of this TV.
post #19164 of 19200 Old 10-04-2019, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
So my XBR-55X900E has a solid thin horizontal line across the entire width of the screen. Tried to troubleshoot by unplugging then replugging after about a 30-minute wait. Still there when I plugged it back in so swapped out the set-top box and still there. Next step was to swap cables but still there. So did a hard reset but still there. The unit was bought in October 2017 but I had purchased the Costco extended warranty. Called the warranty folks this morning and they quickly acted and had a service rep evaluate my unit this afternoon. Can't be fixed. Service rep took some pics and said he would send off to warranty company and they would be in touch in the next few days to "buy out the unit". If that is the case will use to purchase a 900F. Will advise once I hear back from the warranty folks.
Update: They are replacing my 900E with a 900G! Pleased with how it turned out.

Last edited by Freddypop; 10-04-2019 at 07:10 PM.
post #19165 of 19200 Old 10-05-2019, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkesha View Post
Im Very sensitive to lost frames im getting while casting nba league pass games from ipad to tv, its unbereable to watch. I noticed issues with built in chromecast only so far. Anybody else tried to cast something fast moving?

I wouldn't mind trying to load old fw and check if that helps.
Anyone knows if this ever got fixed or confirmed with Sony?

I want to return this TV through credit card’s warranty as a defective product since it got broken (as far as im concened). Tv in this shape can not do the primary need i got it for.
post #19166 of 19200 Old 10-06-2019, 06:16 AM

SOLVED: 900e & Newly installed HDHomeRun App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post
I have HDHomeRun on our 900e and it runs just fine. I suggest submitting a ticket to SiliconDust. They'll walk you through fixing your issues. Good luck.

I tstarted the HDHR app multiple times after installation and it only showed a black screen for the Live option.

I then POWER CYCLED the TV and tried again and it displayed channels and guide correctly.

The app provides a channel guide which I like since I don't have a wow cable box.
post #19167 of 19200 Old 10-06-2019, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Simply use the Built-in TV app.

Click on Settings
Choose "Channels"
Choose Channel Setup
Choose "HD HomeRun Input"

You may need to scan for Channels.
Once you're finished, back out and go to the home screen and choose the TV app.

The TV app will now use your network tuner as the source for Live Channels.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #19168 of 19200 Old 10-07-2019, 05:58 AM

Q: Is there a way to quickly choose (switch between using) the TV's built built in tuner OR the HDHomeRun tuner to watch live shows? I assume that once you choose the HDHR tuner you must do a channel scan which may invalidate the built-in tuners channel list. Also, WMC often records 2 shows using both tuners which would require watching live TV using the TV's tuner. In the end, there is no quality difference to me between the TV or HDHR tuner and I'll continue using the TV tuner to view WOWs unencrypted QUAM.

Inquiring minds want to know if multiple linve TV inputs are supported however before trying your clear suggestion...

Eric Edberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post

Click on Settings
Choose "Channels"
Choose Channel Setup

Last edited by EricLEdberg; 10-07-2019 at 06:02 AM.
post #19169 of 19200 Old 10-07-2019, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricLEdberg View Post
Q: Is there a way to quickly choose (switch between using) the TV's built built in tuner OR the HDHomeRun tuner to watch live shows? I assume that once you choose the HDHR tuner you must do a channel scan which may invalidate the built-in tuners channel list. Also, WMC often records 2 shows using both tuners which would require watching live TV using the TV's tuner. In the end, there is no quality difference to me between the TV or HDHR tuner and I'll continue using the TV tuner to view WOWs unencrypted QUAM.

Inquiring minds want to know if multiple line TV inputs are supported however before trying your clear suggestion...

Eric Edberg
No, it's an "either-or" Choice from within the Channels Menu. Not on the Fly.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500

Last edited by groove93; 10-07-2019 at 09:17 AM.
post #19170 of 19200 Old 10-07-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post

Click on Settings
Choose "Channels"
Choose Channel Setup

That's cool to know. I had no idea you could do that. A good reason to do that is if your TV can't be hardwired to a OTA coax to use it's own tuner. I have no problem using the TV's coax input and tuner, but HDhomeRuns are cool if you need your tuner to be 'networked'. The HDHomeRun would be a lot better if it didn't require an Ethernet cable to the router.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page