2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 644 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40400Likes

post #19291 of 19304 Old 11-28-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by santal View Post
65XE9005 Died after two years of service (out of warranty). Nothing on screen, no led lights. No reaction (green or any led light) on forced reset. Power brick output shows 24V not loaded. TV drains ~10W when connected to its power brick. Did not open TV yet.
I am looking for any advice what to check next.
Call Sony. Be polite, ask if they can help in any way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19292 of 19304 Old 11-29-2019, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have been having a frustrating experience with Sony support for the following issue and have two related questions:

Anybody having luck using an external audio system and getting sound streamed in 5.1 for HBO Now and Disney+ (5.1 works fine for Netflix and Prime Video)?

Also, with the most recent HBO Now update, which downloaded when I did the factory reset requested by Sony, the app no longer responds to any inputs — anybody experienced or fixed this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #19293 of 19304 Old 11-29-2019, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by gi02sl View Post
I have been having a frustrating experience with Sony support for the following issue and have two related questions:

Anybody having luck using an external audio system and getting sound streamed in 5.1 for HBO Now and Disney+ (5.1 works fine for Netflix and Prime Video)?

I haven't checked in a few days, but last time I did, Disney+ was sending 5.1 to my external audio system . I can't remember right now whether it was through ARC or optical.

EDIT: Checked today, still sending 5.1 out on Disney+. It's via optical.

Last edited by DougDingle; 11-30-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19294 of 19304 Old 11-30-2019, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I just picked up Panasonic UB420 4k blu ray for my 900e. During setup it asks if my HDR type is middle or high luminance or is it considered super luminance? Thanks
post #19295 of 19304 Old 12-02-2019, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Awhile back I posted on here about the HDMI ARC connector ceasing to work suddenly to my soundbar from my 55X900E. Just wanted to state that as suddenly as it quit, over the weekend it began working again. Still have no idea what caused it.

I am still really happy with this purchase as it has a wondeful picture and and FALD really enhances contrast.

For Sale: Sony Ultra HD Bluray Player X800 NVidia Shield 2017 16GB

JVC RS500, Denon 7200WA, 7.2.4 Atmos/DTSX dedicated Theater. 133" Dalite 1.3 screen. M&K S150 + K7 ear level, 4 Tannoy DC overheads.
post #19296 of 19304 Old 12-05-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
I haven't checked in a few days, but last time I did, Disney+ was sending 5.1 to my external audio system . I can't remember right now whether it was through ARC or optical.

Thanks for checking and responding. After two Sony Support calls and about four hours including calls and doing the things suggested (including them remotely accessing my TV and changing settings), there was no fix. Their response is that the TV is fine and it must be the third party apps and to contact them (which I had already done). I decided to buy a Roku Ultra and run everything through there, which has worked perfectly.

post #19297 of 19304 Old 12-05-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1690 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:

Interesting. I installed Disney+ on my 900E yesterday, and was surprised that my AVR was only seeing 'Stereo' from the TV. I also use optical to the AVR, and everything else shows Dolby when present (Cable TV, Netflix, Amazon, etc.). I'll have to see if there are any settings within the Disney+ app that might impact this.

JVC NX7, DCR Lens, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
post #19298 of 19304 Old 12-05-2019, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
Interesting. I installed Disney+ on my 900E yesterday, and was surprised that my AVR was only seeing 'Stereo' from the TV. I also use optical to the AVR, and everything else shows Dolby when present (Cable TV, Netflix, Amazon, etc.). I'll have to see if there are any settings within the Disney+ app that might impact this.
I was a bit surprised myself.

The Disney+ app on my 2016 LG OLED is only sending stereo. The LG feeds a Denon 4300 through optical. Looking at the Denon's Info overlay, it's coming in with just two channels active.

The 900e feeds a Marantz 1608, also through optical, and the Marantz front panel say DolbyDig + Dolby Surr (my Dolby Surround upmixer so all speakers are fed). The Info overlay shows DD 5.1 coming in.

I don't understand why mine would work and other people are only getting stereo. I don't remember doing anything special or specific in the audio setup, but I'll have a look this evening when I get home.

As an aside, I rarely use the built-in apps on either set; the room with the 900e has a 2nd Gen Amazon Fire box, and the room with the LG has a new Amazon 4K Fire stick, and I usually stream using those.

Although I did notice that the 'stereo only' app on the LG seems to have a greater bit depth than the Fire Stick - when the blue grad Disney opening screen loads on the Fire Stick app, I'm seeing the transitions on the grad, which normally indicates 8 bit, whereas the LG's internal app is smooth, which usually indicates 10 bit (or better). I haven't paid a lot of attention to the 900e's app loading.
post #19299 of 19304 Old 12-05-2019, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The Disney+ app on my 2016 LG OLED is only sending stereo. The LG feeds a Denon 4300 through optical. Looking at the Denon's Info overlay, it's coming in with just two channels active.

The 900e feeds a Marantz 1608, also through optical, and the Marantz front panel say DolbyDig + Dolby Surr (my Dolby Surround upmixer so all speakers are fed). The Info overlay shows DD 5.1 coming in.

I don't understand why mine would work and other people are only getting stereo. I don't remember doing anything special or specific in the audio setup, but I'll have a look this evening when I get home.

As an aside, I rarely use the built-in apps on either set; the room with the 900e has a 2nd Gen Amazon Fire box, and the room with the LG has a new Amazon 4K Fire stick, and I usually stream using those.

Although I did notice that the 'stereo only' app on the LG seems to have a greater bit depth than the Fire Stick - when the blue grad Disney opening screen loads on the Fire Stick app, I'm seeing the transitions on the grad, which normally indicates 8 bit, whereas the LG's internal app is smooth, which usually indicates 10 bit (or better). I haven't paid a lot of attention to the 900e's app loading.
Well, this is quite curious:

I just opened the Disney+ App on my 900E, tried The Mandalorian again, and noticed that when it first started playing, my AVR showed Dolby, but within a couple of seconds, it reverted to stereo. I went in and out of playing the episode several times, and the same thing happened each time. It would show Dolby for a few second, but then went to stereo.

I next tried Thor Ragnarok, and found the same exact thing: a few seconds of Dolby, followed by switch to Stereo.

I don't see any settings whatsoever within the Disney+ App that would impact sound (or video for that matter).

I went to the 900E's settings, and toggled between Dolby and Dolby Plus output, but the same thing happened.

I'd be curious if others are seeing this same thing.

post #19300 of 19304 Old 12-05-2019, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:

Remember Dolby Digital Plus can only be achieved through HDMI, not an Optical connection.

You may have some additional processing going in your AVR.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #19301 of 19304 Old 12-05-2019, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
Remember Dolby Digital Plus can only be achieved through HDMI, not an Optical connection.

You may have some additional processing going in your AVR.

The "+" on the front panel indicates that it's DolbyDig plus Dolby Surround, not that it's DolbyDig+.

When it's DD+, the "+" appears immediately after, with no space, like this: DolbyDig+ Dolby Surround.

Otherwise, it's DolbyDig + Dolby Surround.

Not always easy to see which is which from across the room - I usually have to put my glasses on.
post #19302 of 19304 Old 12-05-2019, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Since you have a Denon and Marantz AVR, always check the web interface to see what's actually streaming.

I made the mistake of assuming I was Streaming Dolby Atmos on Disney Plus via my Xbox One X, when it was actually not. It was just Dolby Digital.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
post #19303 of 19304 Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
Well, this is quite curious:

I just opened the Disney+ App on my 900E, tried The Mandalorian again, and noticed that when it first started playing, my AVR showed Dolby, but within a couple of seconds, it reverted to stereo. I went in and out of playing the episode several times, and the same thing happened each time. It would show Dolby for a few second, but then went to stereo.

I next tried Thor Ragnarok, and found the same exact thing: a few seconds of Dolby, followed by switch to Stereo.
This is exactly what was happening with mine (optical connection). However, it worked fine on an older, much cheaper tv/receiver combo I have in another room with a Roku. This leads me to believe it’s either the tv or the app created for Android (vs Roku), but I don’t know how to tell which is at fault.

post #19304 of 19304 Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi02sl View Post
This is exactly what was happening with mine (optical connection). However, it worked fine on an older, much cheaper tv/receiver combo I have in another room with a Roku. This leads me to believe it’s either the tv or the app created for Android (vs Roku), but I don’t know how to tell which is at fault.
Thanks for the post and confirmation that I'm not the only seeing this.

Since I have no problems getting Dolby with the same TV, the same AVR, the same connection, and other Apps on the same TV, then it pretty much has to be something odd going on with the App itself, at least as it gets installed on the 900E.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page