2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 646 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40424Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #19351 of 19471 Old 01-01-2020, 08:55 AM
Newbie
 
cruffino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
RE: Choppy sound with Bluetooth headphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
You have a couple of non-destructive options, purchase an older Sony remote that doesn't support bluetooth such as this one on Amazon for $10, it will work without issue for your 900E, my backup remote is from my old 810c and works perfectly.
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Rem...a-839658105750


or buy an inexpensive third-party remote that also does not support bluetooth.
So I ended up buying a cheap 3rd-party remote as you suggested, though I'm not a huge fan of the button feel compared to the original Sony remote. That solves the problem.

However, while I was waiting for the replacement to ship I did some research on the circuitry inside the Sony RMF-TX200U remote. This remote actually has two microcontrollers, one from ST Micro and the other from Nordic Semiconductor. From what I can intuit, the ST device performs the IR portions of remote functionality and the Nordic part does the Bluetooth (i.e., microphone) stuff, as that's the device with the radio.

The Nordic device is their nRF51822, and a quick search online led me to a host of documents at the manufacturer's site. It seems that all one would have to do is to remove one or two critical passive components in the antenna interface to cripple that function and block the remote from connecting. This a reasonable way to go if you have the tools, and leaves a way to reverse things if you ever want it to work again. Alternatively, for those with steady hands and an X-acto knife you could cut a few traces.

I've attached a schematic from the Nordic documentation and a picture of the Bluetooth subsystem on the board.

Removing C9 is likely to be sufficient. And if you don't happen to have a pair of soldering iron tweezers, cutting one or both of the traces between U1 and L2 should do the trick.

Of course, a standard warning applies: Proceed at your own risk! I have not tested either of my suggestions, but I do have high confidence in them (I'm an electrical engineer). And I will be testing one or both if my new $9 replacement remote breaks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bluetooth Subsystem.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	592.2 KB
ID:	2662240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reference schematic.png
Views:	29
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	2662242  
DougDingle likes this.
cruffino is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19352 of 19471 Old 01-01-2020, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
iraweiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruffino View Post
So I ended up buying a cheap 3rd-party remote as you suggested, though I'm not a huge fan of the button feel compared to the original Sony remote. That solves the problem.

However, while I was waiting for the replacement to ship I did some research on the circuitry inside the Sony RMF-TX200U remote. This remote actually has two microcontrollers, one from ST Micro and the other from Nordic Semiconductor. From what I can intuit, the ST device performs the IR portions of remote functionality and the Nordic part does the Bluetooth (i.e., microphone) stuff, as that's the device with the radio.

The Nordic device is their nRF51822, and a quick search online led me to a host of documents at the manufacturer's site. It seems that all one would have to do is to remove one or two critical passive components in the antenna interface to cripple that function and block the remote from connecting. This a reasonable way to go if you have the tools, and leaves a way to reverse things if you ever want it to work again. Alternatively, for those with steady hands and an X-acto knife you could cut a few traces.

I've attached a schematic from the Nordic documentation and a picture of the Bluetooth subsystem on the board.

Removing C9 is likely to be sufficient. And if you don't happen to have a pair of soldering iron tweezers, cutting one or both of the traces between U1 and L2 should do the trick.

Of course, a standard warning applies: Proceed at your own risk! I have not tested either of my suggestions, but I do have high confidence in them (I'm an electrical engineer). And I will be testing one or both if my new $9 replacement remote breaks
Easy solution: Turn off bluetooth on the TV in the setup menu.
iraweiss is online now  
post #19353 of 19471 Old 01-02-2020, 07:18 AM
Newbie
 
cruffino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraweiss View Post
Easy solution: Turn off bluetooth on the TV in the setup menu.
That's not a solution if you want to use Bluetooth headphones, which I do. That's the problem I'm trying to fix.
cruffino is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19354 of 19471 Old 01-05-2020, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dandaroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,034
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Tv automatically reseting

I am having a problem with my 65” Sony 900e that started happening after the last firmware update. I have a powered HD antenna hooked up to my RF coax input. When I switch to that input, it shows a blank screen says no signal at the bottom right for a few seconds and then automatically resets itself. When it powers back on, I have it come back to HDMI 2 which is my cable box. Then if I switch to antenna input, it shows the channel and pic and everything is fine. I do not use the antenna much, but every time I access it, this auto restart of the TV happens.

Has this happened to anyone or does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Last edited by dandaroy; 01-06-2020 at 07:04 PM.
dandaroy is offline  
post #19355 of 19471 Old 01-06-2020, 07:58 AM
Member
 
RolandM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaroy View Post
I am having a problem with my 65” Sony 900e that started happening after the last firmware update. I have a HD antenna hooked up to HDMI 1 input. When I switch to that input, it shows a blank screen says no signal at the bottom right for a few seconds and then automatically resets itself. When it powers back on, I have it come back to HDMI 2 which is my cable box. Then if I switch to HDMI1, it shows the channel and pic and everything is fine. I do not use the antenna much, but every time I access it, this auto restart of the TV happens.

Has this happened to anyone or does anyone have any idea what is going on?
I too have been experiencing this restart; I've noticed that it occurs if I have not turned on the television for a certain period of time, approximately 12 hours. I also found that the reset was more likely to occur if I used the remote's POWER button. For that reason, I've tended to use the remote's TV button.
One other thing I've observed is that the reset changes my SOUND setting from AUDIO SYSTEM to TV SPEAKERS.
All of this seems to have started after applying the last update.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by RolandM; 01-06-2020 at 01:40 PM.
RolandM is offline  
post #19356 of 19471 Old 01-06-2020, 11:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 360
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaroy View Post
I am having a problem with my 65” Sony 900e that started happening after the last firmware update. I have a HD antenna hooked up to HDMI 1 input. When I switch to that input, it shows a blank screen says no signal at the bottom right for a few seconds and then automatically resets itself. When it powers back on, I have it come back to HDMI 2 which is my cable box. Then if I switch to HDMI1, it shows the channel and pic and everything is fine. I do not use the antenna much, but every time I access it, this auto restart of the TV happens.

Has this happened to anyone or does anyone have any idea what is going on?

How do you hook an antenna to an HDMI input?
My antenna is hooked up to the RF coax input.
Tfid is offline  
post #19357 of 19471 Old 01-06-2020, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dandaroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,034
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfid View Post
How do you hook an antenna to an HDMI input?
My antenna is hooked up to the RF coax input.
My bad. The powered antenna is connected to the RF coax. I have revised the original post to reflect that. So do you have a Sony 900E also? If so, you do not have the same issue? What firmware version are you using?
dandaroy is offline  
post #19358 of 19471 Old 01-07-2020, 03:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 360
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaroy View Post
My bad. The powered antenna is connected to the RF coax. I have revised the original post to reflect that. So do you have a Sony 900E also? If so, you do not have the same issue? What firmware version are you using?

Yes, I have a 2017 65" Sony x900E. I use a passive antenna on the roof. I don't use an amplifier, because they don't lower the noise floor. You might try the antenna without the amp to see if that changes anything.
When I turn on the TV and select the tuner input, it doesn't reset, but it does detect my Nvidia Shield on HDMI 4 and automatically switches inputs to that and I have to switch back to the tuner input. There might be a setting in the HDMI CEC settings where you can turn off the auto input detect.


I'm running the latest Oreo update. I can tell you the version when I get home.
Tfid is offline  
post #19359 of 19471 Old 01-08-2020, 12:34 PM
Senior Member
 
SMO5007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboo View Post
I’m also having the no DD 5.1 issue with HBO Go and Disney +. Amazon and Netflix works fine however, with 5.1 out via optical.
im having the same issue! quite annoying to say the least.
XBR75900E
SMO5007 is offline  
post #19360 of 19471 Old 01-08-2020, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
iraweiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO5007 View Post
im having the same issue! quite annoying to say the least.
XBR75900E
I've had the same problem with those two streaming sources and Sony TV's. I have no trouble streaming 5.1 from Amazon or getting Dolby Digital from the TV OTA tuner.
iraweiss is online now  
post #19361 of 19471 Old 01-11-2020, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
RKSKYDANCER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Well come January it will be 2 years of ownership with my x900e and and I have never regretted paying what I did for it. From watching Blu rays to 4K Blu rays and watching regular cable content my wife and I have enjoyed the hell out of this tv. PQ is still as beautiful as they day I first turned it on. I have had numerous opportunities to buy a new set, including OLED, and I have passed every time. Why? Not because of money, which is no issue, but because I feel there is no need to. Not with as excellent as the x900e still is today. If a mother board fails I will fix it before I get rid of it. If the HDMI ports fail I will not get rid of it, I will get it fixed. The only way I get rid of my x900e is if it burns itself out which I hope dont happen for a long time. So while my fellow HT enthusiasts upgrade every year or so for the newest thing on the market I will stay put. DV? No thanks, 8K? No thanks. QLED? No thanks. OLED? One day maybe but not anytime soon. My x900e stays put.
Yes i agree, i have owned my 65" X900e for the last 2 years. Love the TV and picture. Been looking at OLED especially since the prices have come way down. For me, not having eARC is the only downfall for the 900e. The lastest 950G is a nice TV as well! I just hate to get rid of my 900e.

(Living Room) Sony XBR65X950G 4K TV, Harman Kardon Enchant 1300 & HK Enchant subwoofer, Sony UHP-H1 SACD & Panasonic DP-UB420 4K BD players.

(Garage) Sherwood RX-4105 Receiver, Samsung DVD/CD player, Klipsch 2.5 med oak speakers
RKSKYDANCER is offline  
post #19362 of 19471 Old 01-11-2020, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
RKSKYDANCER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
Watching Disney+ on my 900e on the built-in app enabled HDR when the source material had it. Specifically, on The Mandelorian.
How do you check this? When viewing from a app you can not hit the info button to see video and audio information? At least i didn't think i could.

(Living Room) Sony XBR65X950G 4K TV, Harman Kardon Enchant 1300 & HK Enchant subwoofer, Sony UHP-H1 SACD & Panasonic DP-UB420 4K BD players.

(Garage) Sherwood RX-4105 Receiver, Samsung DVD/CD player, Klipsch 2.5 med oak speakers
RKSKYDANCER is offline  
post #19363 of 19471 Old 01-11-2020, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
RKSKYDANCER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusaleen1 View Post
I just picked up Panasonic UB420 4k blu ray for my 900e. During setup it asks if my HDR type is middle or high luminance or is it considered super luminance? Thanks
I set it to high luminance on mine. I don't think the 900e is considered a super luminance TV but i could be wrong.

(Living Room) Sony XBR65X950G 4K TV, Harman Kardon Enchant 1300 & HK Enchant subwoofer, Sony UHP-H1 SACD & Panasonic DP-UB420 4K BD players.

(Garage) Sherwood RX-4105 Receiver, Samsung DVD/CD player, Klipsch 2.5 med oak speakers
RKSKYDANCER is offline  
post #19364 of 19471 Old 01-11-2020, 08:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 245
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKSKYDANCER View Post
How do you check this? When viewing from a app you can not hit the info button to see video and audio information? At least i didn't think i could.
Go into picture settings their will be an HDR at the top right of it if it's enabled.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
RKSKYDANCER likes this.
Billy Williams is online now  
post #19365 of 19471 Old 01-12-2020, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
RKSKYDANCER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Williams View Post
Go into picture settings their will be an HDR at the top right of it if it's enabled.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Ok, i see it now. Only shows the words HDR. thanks

(Living Room) Sony XBR65X950G 4K TV, Harman Kardon Enchant 1300 & HK Enchant subwoofer, Sony UHP-H1 SACD & Panasonic DP-UB420 4K BD players.

(Garage) Sherwood RX-4105 Receiver, Samsung DVD/CD player, Klipsch 2.5 med oak speakers
RKSKYDANCER is offline  
post #19366 of 19471 Old 01-13-2020, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mattg3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,876
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 337
I finally cut the cable cord and using an antenna for my over the air cable channels but now my colorspace option in no longer auto. I have a choice between SRGB/BT709 or BT2020. Have no idea which to choose since they both seem to be same. Could someone using an antenna on the 900E chime in on which is best setting? Thanks

Matt
mattg3 is offline  
post #19367 of 19471 Old 01-13-2020, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
groove93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 2,212
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Set Colorspace to "Auto". No need to manually adjust this setting. HDR and RGB settings should be set to "Auto" as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
groove93 is online now  
post #19368 of 19471 Old 01-13-2020, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mattg3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,876
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
Set Colorspace to "Auto". No need to manually adjust this setting. HDR and RGB settings should be set to "Auto" as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
When you use an antenna no auto is allowed, Just the two settings I mentioned( SRGB/BT709 and BT2020). Auto only is present for HDMI connections.

Matt
mattg3 is offline  
post #19369 of 19471 Old 01-13-2020, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
groove93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 2,212
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
When you use an antenna no auto is allowed, Just the two setting I mentioned. Auto only is present for HDMI connections.
Well since you're only viewing 1080i and 720p content via OTA, I'm sure rec709 would be the preferred Colorspace.
mattg3 and shoman94 like this.

Sony XBR55X900E
Marantz SR7010/Marantz MM7025
Oppo UDP-203 - Nvidia Shield
XBox One X
Klipsch RP-260f - RP-440C - RP140sa- RP-160m - RB10 - Sony SA-WM500
groove93 is online now  
post #19370 of 19471 Old 01-13-2020, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DougDingle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,895
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
I finally cut the cable cord and using an antenna for my over the air cable channels but now my colorspace option in no longer auto. I have a choice between SRGB/BT709 or BT2020. Have no idea which to choose since they both seem to be same. Could someone using an antenna on the 900E chime in on which is best setting? Thanks

Images sent over the air conform to 709 only. 2020 is available on UHD content, and occasionally on 1080 (but it's pretty rare). For off-air, select 709, although selecting 2020 won't hurt anything - you'll still see 709.
mattg3 and I WANT MORE like this.
DougDingle is offline  
post #19371 of 19471 Old 01-18-2020, 12:55 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Anybody out there have a 900E and Oppo BDP95? I noticed something the other day which I do not recall seeing before. I have the BDP95 (output HDMI #1 ) connected directly to the 900E on HDMI #2 . I went to watch a DVD and the distorted image below is what I saw. The BDP95 works ok with another TV. It works ok on HDMI 1 and 4; the problem is only on 2 and 3. I also output the BDP95 (HDMI #2 ) to a Monoprice splitter then to an Arcam AVR400 which then goes to the 900E HDMI #1 . This connection works ok.

I tried the following with no improvement: different HDMI cable, reset colors on tv, unplugged tv for a few minutes, different on/off power up sequence. I ran tv diagnostics = no problem. TIVO images are ok on all HDMI inputs. OTA images are ok. Onscreen display is ok. 900E software is up to date. I also tried various combinations of different cables and HDMI inputs.

I have a UDP205, which is my primary source, connected directly to HDMI #3 with no issues.

I finally tried another DVD player, Arcam DV137 which worked ok across all connections.

The problem is only with the BDP95 connected to HDMI #2 or 3.

So, I tried the following on the 900E: Under Home - Settings - External Inputs - HDMI signal format: The TV was set to "Enhanced format". I selected "Standard format" and the problem was resolved; success.

Has anyone experienced this or has an explanation?

Here is the distorted image HDMI 2 (from Burn Notice):
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...671904&thumb=1

Here is what the image should look like HDMI 1:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...671906&thumb=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony 900E image bad M.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	2671904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony 900E image good M.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	2671906  
rviscuso is offline  
post #19372 of 19471 Old 01-18-2020, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 782
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by rviscuso View Post
Anybody out there have a 900E and Oppo BDP95? I noticed something the other day which I do not recall seeing before. I have the BDP95 (output HDMI #1 ) connected directly to the 900E on HDMI #2 . I went to watch a DVD and the distorted image below is what I saw. The BDP95 works ok with another TV. It works ok on HDMI 1 and 4; the problem is only on 2 and 3. I also output the BDP95 (HDMI #2 ) to a Monoprice splitter then to an Arcam AVR400 which then goes to the 900E HDMI #1 . This connection works ok.

I tried the following with no improvement: different HDMI cable, reset colors on tv, unplugged tv for a few minutes, different on/off power up sequence. I ran tv diagnostics = no problem. TIVO images are ok on all HDMI inputs. OTA images are ok. Onscreen display is ok. 900E software is up to date. I also tried various combinations of different cables and HDMI inputs.

I have a UDP205, which is my primary source, connected directly to HDMI #3 with no issues.

I finally tried another DVD player, Arcam DV137 which worked ok across all connections.

The problem is only with the BDP95 connected to HDMI #2 or 3.

So, I tried the following on the 900E: Under Home - Settings - External Inputs - HDMI signal format: The TV was set to "Enhanced format". I selected "Standard format" and the problem was resolved; success.

Has anyone experienced this or has an explanation?

Here is the distorted image HDMI 2 (from Burn Notice):
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...671904&thumb=1

Here is what the image should look like HDMI 1:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...671906&thumb=1

I suspect that you have HDMI ports 2&3 configured as enhanced, there are some devices that do not play well with enhanced mode. Try to disable enhanced mode on port 2 and see what you get.
dowop likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #19373 of 19471 Old 01-19-2020, 10:58 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheddarhead View Post
I suspect that you have HDMI ports 2&3 configured as enhanced, there are some devices that do not play well with enhanced mode. Try to disable enhanced mode on port 2 and see what you get.
Your suspicion was correct. That did solve the problem. Unfortunately making that change affects both HDMI 2 & 3. I do not see how to change one without the other. How did you know that enhanced was the cause?

In the meantime I found an alternative solution: switch HDMI ports; move the BDP95 cable to HDMI #1 , and move the AVR400 cable to HDMI #2 . This way I can leave HDR on enhanced mode.

I still do not understand why these problems exist. One would think that the software/electrical engineer can resolve these types of problems.

Last edited by rviscuso; 01-19-2020 at 11:24 AM. Reason: clarify wording
rviscuso is offline  
post #19374 of 19471 Old 01-19-2020, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 680
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by rviscuso View Post
Your suspicion was correct. That did solve the problem. Unfortunately making that change affects both HDMI 2 & 3. I do not see how to change one without the other. How did you know that enhanced was the cause?



In the meantime I found an alternative solution: switch HDMI ports; move the BDP95 cable to HDMI #1 , and move the AVR400 cable to HDMI #2 . This way I can leave HDR on enhanced mode.



I still do not understand why these problems exist. One would think that the software/electrical engineer can resolve these types of problems.


This isn’t really an issue with the TV itself but with the devices being connected. Some don’t play nice with the enhanced bandwidth enabled for whatever reason. I haven’t ran into this yet on my 900F though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheddarhead likes this.
acphydro is offline  
post #19375 of 19471 Old 01-19-2020, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 782
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by rviscuso View Post
Your suspicion was correct. That did solve the problem. Unfortunately making that change affects both HDMI 2 & 3. I do not see how to change one without the other. How did you know that enhanced was the cause?

In the meantime I found an alternative solution: switch HDMI ports; move the BDP95 cable to HDMI #1 , and move the AVR400 cable to HDMI #2 . This way I can leave HDR on enhanced mode.

I still do not understand why these problems exist. One would think that the software/electrical engineer can resolve these types of problems.
Having devices that didn't work with enhanced mode was more common when the 900e was released with lots of questions as to why enhanced mode was even a thing, so it is just left over knowledge from the initial release of my 900e. Lot's of people complained that this was even a setting because "most" devices didn't have a problem.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
Cheddarhead is offline  
post #19376 of 19471 Old 01-19-2020, 09:30 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thanks guys. I stumbled onto this in the 900E help guide, page 57. Cut and paste does not come out very well but you get the idea.

Settings for viewing pictures in 4K resolution with higher quality
When you display the High-Quality 4K format with the HDMI input, set [HDMI signal format] in [External inputs]. HDMI signal format

To change the HDMI signal format setting, press the HOME button, then select [Settings] — [External inputs] — [HDMI signal format].

Standard format
Standard HDMI format for normal use.

Enhanced format
High-Quality HDMI format . Set only when using capable devices.
HDR included (HDR models only). HDR models have [HDR mode] in [Settings] — [Picture & Display] — [Picture adjustments] — [Advanced settings] — [Video options].
4K 60p 4:2:0 10bit, 4:4:4:, 4:2:2 etc.

Note
When using [Enhanced format], picture and sound may not be output correctly. In this case,
connect the device to an HDMI IN that is in [Standard format], or change the HDMI signal format
of HDMI IN to [Standard format].

Set to [Enhanced format] only when using compatible devices.

When you watch 4K picture with High-Quality, use a Premium High Speed HDMI Cable(s) that
supports speeds of 18 Gbps. For details on a Premium High Speed HDMI Cable(s) that supports
18 Gbps, refer to the cable specifications.

In some models, the HDMI signal format of HDMI IN 2 and 3 changes at the same time.
rviscuso is offline  
post #19377 of 19471 Old 01-19-2020, 10:38 PM
Senior Member
 
mingus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Park City
Posts: 499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 11
fwiw, the best thing ever for my set was a factory reset. night and day.

I still had to get a roku since audio/arc was always iffy with Denon receiver. I could get it to work by rebooting a few things, just too hard for guests.
mingus is offline  
post #19378 of 19471 Old 01-19-2020, 10:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DougDingle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,895
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingus View Post
fwiw, the best thing ever for my set was a factory reset. night and day.

I still had to get a roku since audio/arc was always iffy with Denon receiver. I could get it to work by rebooting a few things, just too hard for guests.

FWIW, once set up, my 900E has been pretty much flawless with my Marantz 1608 in terms of ARC/CEC in daily use for more than a year now. Turning the set on/off does the same for the AVR, and switching to an internal app makes the AVR use TV Audio on the Marantz.



To this day, I am surprised every time it works, and it works every time.
DougDingle is offline  
post #19379 of 19471 Old 01-20-2020, 11:04 PM
Senior Member
 
mingus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Park City
Posts: 499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougDingle View Post
FWIW, once set up, my 900E has been pretty much flawless with my Marantz 1608 in terms of ARC/CEC in daily use for more than a year now. Turning the set on/off does the same for the AVR, and switching to an internal app makes the AVR use TV Audio on the Marantz.



To this day, I am surprised every time it works, and it works every time.
Marantz and Denon shouldn't be that different. I never could get the audio to work 100% of the time with the Denon without messing with it. most of the time, unplugging it from the wall would do it. the Roku gets the job done.
mingus is offline  
post #19380 of 19471 Old 01-22-2020, 09:40 PM
Member
 
VooBass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hello, I'm looking for help regarding what recommended display settings people find best. When I first bought my 75" 900e in Dec/17 I set it up using the recommended calibration settings from Rtings.com. Initially those worked fairly well. But over time I started tweaking the settings based on what I was watching (disc/program/Netflix/Amazon). Now I've made so many changes to Standard, Custom, Cinema Home and Cinema Pro that things are sort of a mess. I suppose I should first do a factory reset. Afterwards, are there calibration settings that work better for a now 2 year old screen? I greatly appreciate suggestions!

SPEAKERS: 7.1 Def Tech Mythos ST L/R | Mythos 10 C | Mythos Gem XL S/R
SUB: SVS PB4000

RECEIVER: Cambridge Audio 751R
DISPLAY: Sony 75" XBR900E SOURCES: Sony UBP-X800 4K disc player, PS3, PS4
MISC: Harmony Elite remote
VooBass is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off