2017 Sony XBR 900E owners thread (No Price Talk) - Page 651 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40444Likes

post #19501 of 19521 Old 03-22-2020, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by staninsac View Post
I read thru what folks have said about how their tv sometimes goes thru the full Android start up when powering on, which has been a problem for me too. The answer that worked for some seems to be unplug the tv from the power strip/surge protector and put it directly in the wall. I was hesitant to do that, not wanting to forego the protection, but I thought I'd give it a go. It doesn't work here. A couple things happened. The full Android start up still happens at times. Pushing on the power button still doesn't usually turn on the tv at all; it just flashes the 'on lite on the bottom of the front panel like it was going to start, then the light goes off. Repeat 5-10x and eventually it starts up, sometime via full Android and sometimes not. With the change from the power strip/surge protector to the wall, a couple times I've even gotten a partial start up or something where the panel is semi-on, but nothing showing and the power on/off on the remote does nothing. So for that 'stuck situation', I have had to unplug the thing from the wall a couple times to really reboot. And when it did come back on, once it did it in 'safe mode', which was a new twist. I suppose I just have a bummer set I should have returned when it was still in warranty but it came in the mail from B&H across the country and return would have been a big pricey bother.

So that's the update. I'm shopping for a Samsung Q series or a Vizio PX now. The sony will be back up probably. ( I like the LG OLEDs too, but the last and only LG I had developed a picture glitch, so they're off the list now)
I too have had this problem after the last firmware update; never had it before. I believe it occurs when I haven't turned on the television for more than 10 or 12 hours. None of the other devices connected to my power strip seem to have a problem. But then again, I'll defer to those in the group with more advanced electrical knowledge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19502 of 19521 Old 03-23-2020, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatolays View Post
can you recommend one that's not too expensive and has 4/5 power outlets, from amazon
Be sure to get one that has user replaceable batteries.

I use APC

UPS is about $100-150.

Battery every 5 years or so about $40-50 (one of my UPS uses 2)
I have 3 UPS (2005, 2011, 2019) and all still running great. Ive only had to change the batteries over the years.
Be sure to pick one with extra capacity. I have all my TV/AVR stuff connected to a 1500VA and load is fairly low.

Sony x900e, Sony STR-DN1080, Sony Core Series speakers (5.1.2), NVidia Shield TV, Synology 4 bay NAS (12TB total)
post #19503 of 19521 Old 03-25-2020, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
New Firmware Update 3/24/2020

Firmware update to v6.6555 is available.

Fixes an issue where the TV will not respond to the remote
Fixes an issue where the TV freezes after performing an OS update

I have not tried it yet. Hope it does not cause more problems like some of the others did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19504 of 19521 Old 03-25-2020, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey All,

I have the 65in XBR 900e. I recently received an Xbox One X as a gift which will be next to my PS4 Pro and Sony HT-CT550w sound bar system. Knowing that HDMI 2 & 3 are enhanced and currently being occupied by the PS4 and Sony CT550, how can I get make sure I get the Enhanced feature from the Xbox One X without constantly changing the HDMI with my PS4?
post #19505 of 19521 Old 03-26-2020, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLion View Post
Hey All,

I have the 65in XBR 900e. I recently received an Xbox One X as a gift which will be next to my PS4 Pro and Sony HT-CT550w sound bar system. Knowing that HDMI 2 & 3 are enhanced and currently being occupied by the PS4 and Sony CT550, how can I get make sure I get the Enhanced feature from the Xbox One X without constantly changing the HDMI with my PS4?
If the soundbar has multiple inputs, connect soundbar to enhanced HDMI port, then connect whatever you want to the soundbar. If the soundbar isn't capable of 4k then you'll need a 4k HDMI switch.
KingLion likes this.

Last edited by hpottr; 03-26-2020 at 03:15 PM. Reason: update
post #19506 of 19521 Old 03-26-2020, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Was hoping for some help. I have been trying to get my Toshiba HD DVD player to work with the Sony 900e. I have found that I have to connect to HDMI1 for this or it won't display correctly. This is fine, but when I do so the TV seems to use the lowest common denominator on other hdmi inputs. I have dual outputs out of my Denon for hdmi and my XBOX One (HDMI2) doesn't detect HDR when I have thing setup this way.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance!
post #19507 of 19521 Old 03-26-2020, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLion View Post
Hey All,

You can plug your PS4 Pro into port 1 or 4 and it will work well. Ports 1/4 do support HDR, what they won't support is [email protected]@4:4:4 chroma sampling.

Test it and see.
KingLion likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #19508 of 19521 Old 03-27-2020, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello so my wife and I just moved and we packed our TV extremely carefully with a TV Box bubble wrap, always kept up right no damage at all. Today while unboxing it I turned it on, and noticed one pixilated spot that cause multi color damage spot.

If anyone can help me I would be so grateful. I can send pictures and what not.
post #19509 of 19521 Old 03-28-2020, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Been playing some Doom Eternal on my 900E and man is it gorgeous. Several years later and I still continue to be pleased, if not downright impressed at times, by this TV.
post #19510 of 19521 Old 03-28-2020, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
Been playing some Doom Eternal on my 900E and man is it gorgeous. Several years later and I still continue to be pleased, if not downright impressed at times, by this TV.
Same here...really love this TV ! Only issue i have is i wish it was bigger
KSpan likes this.
post #19511 of 19521 Old 03-28-2020, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandM View Post
I too have had this problem after the last firmware update; never had it before. I believe it occurs when I haven't turned on the television for more than 10 or 12 hours. None of the other devices connected to my power strip seem to have a problem. But then again, I'll defer to those in the group with more advanced electrical knowledge.
Wow I did a double take when looking at your username--you have the same first name and last initial as me haha! (I mean if that's your real name, anyway.) That's actually the username I've used on other places so I was like, "wait, what?" lol.

Anyway this TV seems to use the same firmware as the Z9D so this was also a problem on that set with the 6520 (I think it was) firmware revision. However the 6535 update was supposed to resolve this issue...only we never got that update in Can/US! But now they just released the 6555 for us which should include the improvements from 6535, so hopefully your issue will be resolved once you update to the latest one
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post58770196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtex67 View Post
Firmware update to v6.6555 is available.

Fixes an issue where the TV will not respond to the remote
Fixes an issue where the TV freezes after performing an OS update

I have not tried it yet. Hope it does not cause more problems like some of the others did.
It should also include the updates from the previous versions, including the 6535 and 6545 which were released in other regions but not here. If the cold bootup and reboots was one of your issues after 6520, the 6535 (and thus by extension the new 6555) should resolve that or at least make it better.

Last edited by ES_Revenge; 03-28-2020 at 01:16 PM.
post #19512 of 19521 Old 03-28-2020, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
My 65900E is wall mounted in the bedroom and since I’ve been recovering from back surgery the last couple of months so I’m watching it a lot. Currently I’m watching The Expanse which looks amazing. Also playing Shadow of Mordor streamed from my PC to my Shield.

If I have one complaint about the TV is that there is no way to change picture modes with a single button. I don’t even bother turning on Game Mode when I play a game anymore.

I’d stream Doom Eternal but I cant play an FPS with a controller.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #19513 of 19521 Old 03-28-2020, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post
If I have one complaint about the TV is that there is no way to change picture modes with a single button.
This is indeed a pain on Android TVs. There is a Sony discrete IR code to change the "Picture Mode" and the Android TVs actually accept the command (you can tell by the LED blinking on TVs that have that feature) but they simply ignore the command and do nothing with it. Not even an error message pops on the screen!

On earlier non-Android sets that code was a trick to change the "SCENE" on TVs that did not have the button on the remote. You still couldn't change the picture mode within the SCENE mode but if you had the right mode previously set/used in that SCENE it would work well. However on Android sets seems like no dice--they've done away with the "scene" modes but have not brought back direct access to Picture Mode. As said the TV accepts the command and does nothing with it. I'm quite surprised no one at Sony thought this was a useful enough feature to carry forward into the Android era
post #19514 of 19521 Old 03-28-2020, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 149
It worked on my 900e using a Harmony remote, but the last big Android update killed it.
ES_Revenge likes this.

PSN BradCompany
post #19515 of 19521 Old 03-28-2020, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1285 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post
As said the TV accepts the command and does nothing with it. I'm quite surprised no one at Sony thought this was a useful enough feature to carry forward into the Android era

My guess is it has a lot more to do with Google than it does Sony. Google, like Apple, likes to imagine it knows a lot more about what you need than you do, and just rams it down your throat.
ES_Revenge likes this.
post #19516 of 19521 Old 03-28-2020, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman View Post
It worked on my 900e using a Harmony remote, but the last big Android update killed it.
You know what I think that's what must have done it! I could swear when got my Z9D that command did work but I got my Z9D only last year so I updated it within a short time to Oreo. Now it doesn't work so maybe I just think it never worked on this TV when it once did! No wonder the TV recognises the command, lol! They must have messed something up in Oreo that removed any function of it though
post #19517 of 19521 Old 03-28-2020, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman View Post
I have a Harmony Hub. I’d set up a macro to bring up the picture mode menu but there is no easy way to do it.

I can’t believe Sony hasn’t addressed this issue. I just leave it on a single picture mode now and never change it.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #19518 of 19521 Old 03-29-2020, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Man I love this TV but I can't seem to find a happy medium with motion. If I turn on custom and smoothness to 2 and cinemotion to medium or high. Clearness is min It looks pretty darn smooth with little to no judder. But everyone looks slightly unnatural and sped up. The SOE. I am not a fan. But I feel like if I go any lower the judder is really bad on any panning. Like seems like no middle ground. What's everyone's favorite motion settings? I assume this is only an issue on 24hz stuff.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
coolguy949, djdel002 and jpiszcz like this.
post #19519 of 19521 Old 03-31-2020, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Williams View Post
Man I love this TV but I can't seem to find a happy medium with motion. If I turn on custom and smoothness to 2 and cinemotion to medium or high. Clearness is min It looks pretty darn smooth with little to no judder. But everyone looks slightly unnatural and sped up. The SOE. I am not a fan. But I feel like if I go any lower the judder is really bad on any panning. Like seems like no middle ground. What's everyone's favorite motion settings? I assume this is only an issue on 24hz stuff.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
I know what you mean Billy, I am sensitive to motion unfortunately so 24p gives me a hard time on some content. The stutter really gets to me and I hate SOE also. I find that True Cinema/High works best for me for the majority of content but I do notice that some
stuff is so stuttery that I have no choice but to use Custom 1/ Cinemotion Medium. I do change motion settings depending on content. I know it's not noticeable for a lot of people but for those of
us that are sensitive to judder/stutter it can be very irritating.

As i'm sure you already know, 24p will have this stutter because it's such a low frame rate but because our tvs and OLEDs have fast/low response times it is much more noticeable.

I'm also always curious what other people use for motion settings and I realize most will just turn it off as I have always done in the past.
jpiszcz and Billy Williams like this.

Sony 65" X900E Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-Ray Roku Ultra, Apple TV 4K
Onkyo TX-nr656
Polk S15s, S35 and TL1 satellite rears, TL1 satellite heights Atmos 5.1.2
HSU VTF-2 MK5
post #19520 of 19521 Old 03-31-2020, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I do True Cinema/High for movies/shows, and for sports I do a custom with Smoothness on 2 and Cinemotion on Low
djdel002 likes this.
post #19521 of 19521 Old 04-01-2020, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Does anybody know whats a good HDR setting for Doom Eternal? (In game settings) Having a hard time with it. Playing on the Xbox One X. It's a very gorgeous game by the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
issues , motion , motionflow , problems , Sony , sound delay , x900e

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page