AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   Looking for guidance on new TV and room placement options. (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2786857-looking-guidance-new-tv-room-placement-options.html)

fizzter 03-17-2017 02:54 PM

Looking for guidance on new TV and room placement options.

3 Attachment(s)
Hi all!

This is fairly detailed, so I hope I don't scare off responses, but wanted to provide what I could! Looking for guidance on a new set and layout in room. :)

I'm currently using my 56" Samsung DLP from 2007 :p. It has served me well for ten years! I am now interested in an upgrade for both the TV and the sound setup, and am looking for some guidance.

Our TV is fairly multi-purpose, used for our cable TV, Blu-Ray & DVDs, and Netflix/Amazon streaming. Sports are rare, just a few times a year. I may hook up a PS4 in the future, but do not currently have one.

Looking to move to a 4K set WITH HDR. I consider HDR to be a very important feature and want to be compatible with as many formats as my budget will allow to ensure some future-proofing. Then looking to maybe add 2.1 sound. Something good, but not insane. :p

I'd ideally love to move up to a 70" screen, but it seems the sets available at that size are very limited, and I don't care for the Vizio units. There are more options at either 65" or 75" it seems, unless I go for a cheaper set with fewer features--maybe I am missing something? Maybe that's just the reality.

When we sit in the room, our eyes :eek: are probably a good 13'-14' from the screen.

I cannot mount the TV--it must be on a TV stand. We'll pick up a new wooden stand for it. The wall it goes on is in-between two doors, and is 75" wide (pictures below). So, a 75" TV, being about 68-70" wide, severely limits any sort of speakers I could put beside it. The room is also not over a basement, and I have limited capability to run wires below the floor.

Once I determine the TV, I've actually considered maybe one of the new Sonos "Playbase" units coming out in April, and then adding components to it later as budget allows. This could eliminate the problem with space. But I know wireless takes a quality hit, and they are quite pricey!

So, for budget, I'd like to keep it under $2000 for the TV. I haven't set the sound/4k player budget yet.
At 65", this seems doable with budget leftover. At 75" I'm over budget a bit. And I can't find much in-between. :(

I thought about OLED but then I'm in for over $3k:p, and can't swing that plus new stand/player/sound stuff.
Of course, there's also 2017 units coming, but I can't seem to find much on whether they'll bring anything to this scenario in terms of size availability and/or price.

So, what would you do in this room? I really like the thought of the bigger screen, but maybe that is a bad idea considering sound placement options. Appreciate your guidance!

Picture description: One sitting on couch. One in back corner of room. And one looking in from kitchen.

checker9 03-17-2017 04:20 PM

For a 65 inch, and your requirements, a KS8000 would be a very good choice.

It is a very good TV, and has very good HDR performance. Its legs, for placing on stand, have two sets of positions, giving you flexibility in stand size. Its downside would be critical watching in dark environments like a dedicated theater room (still good but not as good as TVs that control blacks better like OLEDs) but a top choice for living rooms. It does not have Dolby Vision, but your only Dolby Vision choices would be the new Sony X930E which would be over $3K, or LG OLEDs which would be about the same price, or Vizio which you said you do not like, or the LED LGs but they are not very good performing TVs. HDR is likely going to have a lot of changes over next few years, so just planning to use HDR10 for a few years is probably a safer place to be. The KS8000 will be on sell next Thursday per a Costco representative (should be same for all retail outlets that follow Samsung pricing.) You should be able to get a 65 for $1500 then.

fizzter 03-17-2017 09:47 PM

Cool, I'll take a look at that one. Do they have a 2017 model I should be looking at?

Any thoughts on sound?

fizzter 03-18-2017 10:28 AM

Sorry to double post, hope that's OK. Had some to add and follow-ups. :|

I just discovered that Vizio also has a "P" series, which is supposedly higher quality than the M-series that I took off the table. (After reading some concerns and seeing it in person, my eyes simply didn't like the picture as much as others around it.) However, I will take a gander at this P-series just to see since Vizio is, as far as I can tell, the only 70" offering from the major players. I'm guessing, though, that I'll still prefer the other sets and end up at 65".

I did read-up a bit on your KS8000 suggestion and it does, indeed, look like a very nice set! :) I'll go see one in person today. However, my hesitancy around 2017 models is still prevalent. Is 2017 bringing a "new KS8000" with improvements I should consider? I'd be willing to pay a few hundred more for the latest if there was some big improvements. However, if there aren't perhaps I will go with the "on-its-way-out-model" to save some bucks.

And lastly, if I jump on the Costco deal for the KS8000, I'd have to rent a Home Depot truck to get it home. OK to transport flat in the truck bed like that? About 10 miles away.

Thanks!

checker9 03-18-2017 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizzter (Post 51592937)
Cool, I'll take a look at that one. Do they have a 2017 model I should be looking at?

Any thoughts on sound?

The Q7 Samsung is the 2017 version but it will be very expensive at first, and so for the only review is not very favorable for it.

If you can get an audio-video receiver and five speakers that would be the way to go. If not, then a sound bar would be recommended but even a basic AVR and 5 speakers would likely be better, even better than top expensive sound bars.

checker9 03-18-2017 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizzter (Post 51600553)

I did read-up a bit on your KS8000 suggestion and it does, indeed, look like a very nice set! :) I'll go see one in person today. However, my hesitancy around 2017 models is still prevalent. Is 2017 bringing a "new KS8000" with improvements I should consider? I'd be willing to pay a few hundred more for the latest if there was some big improvements.

The P-65 is a very good TV, so if you decide 65, you could compare it and the KS8000 (KS800D at wholesale clubs) at Costco to see which you like better (just note the P65 might look better in dark, and at Costco the room is brightly lit.)

The new Samsung replacing the KS series is the Q series. The Q7 would be the new replacement for the KS8000. The only review so far is: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q7f

It is not very favorable and their results are puzzling (it under performs the KS8000 in almost everything but color gamut.) Samsung claims the TV was defective but Rtings bought another one to test and found the results were the same as the first Q7 Rtings tested. So until more reviews come out to confirm, one must assume the Q7 is step or two back so far.

There is rumor the Q series Samsung TVs will be firmware upgraded to dynamic HDR10. If that is true, that would be a reason, not sure how important, to get it over a KS.

checker9 03-18-2017 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizzter (Post 51600553)

And lastly, if I jump on the Costco deal for the KS8000, I'd have to rent a Home Depot truck to get it home. OK to transport flat in the truck bed like that? About 10 miles away.

I would think it would be okay if you drive carefully and no overly bumpy roads. You would want to secure the TV well so it does not slide or bump along the truck bed.

Assuming you would lay the TV down, make sure the front of TV is facing up not down (it will have arrows on side of box pointing to the front of TV to show you what side is the front.) If you can properly and securing strap it down where it is upright like a TV would be placed, that would be best way to transport it but the TV could more easily fall over, which would ruin it, so that is probably too risky to try.

fizzter 03-18-2017 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by checker9 (Post 51601889)
The P-65 is a very good TV, so if you decide 65, you could compare it and the KS8000 (KS800D at wholesale clubs) at Costco to see which you like better (just note the P65 might look better in dark, and at Costco the room is brightly lit.)

The new Samsung replacing the KS series is the Q series. The Q7 would be the new replacement for the KS8000. The only review so far is: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q7f

It is not very favorable and their results are puzzling (it under performs the KS8000 in almost everything but color gamut.) Samsung claims the TV was defective but Rtings bought another one to test and found the results were the same as the first Q7 Rtings tested. So until more reviews come out to confirm, one must assume the Q7 is step or two back so far.

There is rumor the Q series Samsung TVs will be firmware upgraded to dynamic HDR10. If that is true, that would be a reason, not sure how important, to get it over a KS.

Thanks for the info. :) I stopped by a local store today to take a look in-person at the options, and brought along my wife.
I did like the KS8000, so am really considering now. They did have a P-series Vizio, and my eye simply preferred the Samsung TV.

Of course, looked at the LG OLEDs, too, but my wife agreed that, while the picture is outstanding, not worth literally double the price. Especially since I want to get a sound upgrade and 4K player, too.

Regarding Q-series, even when more reviews come in, it sounds at its best, it won't be light-years ahead of the KS8000. So I think it behooves me to really consider taking a deal on this set and go ahead and begin the journey into 4K and HDR.

Regarding Dynamic HDR10, I guess I'm not sure how important that is to me, as I don't know what it is. :) I thought HDR10 was HDR10. I was already compromising by not getting DolbyVision... didn't realize I was compromising on even more regarding HDR. Is HDR10 already obsolete and irrelevant? I'm very interested in HDR content and don't want to get something I won't be able to use. I understand there's also an "HLG" as well--is that supported on this set?

Thanks!

checker9 03-18-2017 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizzter (Post 51604649)
Thanks for the info.

Regarding Dynamic HDR10, I guess I'm not sure how important that is to me, as I don't know what it is. :) I thought HDR10 was HDR10. I was already compromising by not getting DolbyVision... didn't realize I was compromising on even more regarding HDR. Is HDR10 already obsolete and irrelevant? I'm very interested in HDR content and don't want to get something I won't be able to use. I understand there's also an "HLG" as well--is that supported on this set?

Thanks!

It can change the gama and dark lows and bright peaks scene/frame by frame. Whereas HDR10, which is static in that type of information/film grading, has its dark lows and bright highs set for the whole film. I do not fully understand it, but from what I have read it helps with color mapping. For example, if a screen is primarily dark, with the brightess object only 100 nits, then with dynamic grading, the whole color mapping could be available in that space, whereas with a static grade, if the overall brightness of the whole film hits 1000 nits, then the color mapping has to reserve that space even for that 100 peak nit dark scenes, wasting a large part of the color mapping. Therefore scenes can be better optimized with that dynamic and since most scenes are either mostly dark or mostly bright, there is a larger color pallet for mapping on almost all scenes with Dynamic HDR. Dolby Vision is also dynamic like that.

I am not sure how that results in picture quality. The only Dolby Vision, which is dynamic also, I have seen has been some Netflix programming and it looked horrible - regular 4K Netflix content was much better (for example, Orange is the new black in SDR 4K looks way better than the Daredevil in 4K Dolby Vision) but I think that is just the production of newer Netflix content - all the latest 4K HDR content on Netflix, that I have seen, looks grainy and dull (not sure if that is the look Netflix producers want or if it saves bandwidth - whereas HDR content on Amazon Prime is very impressive - close if not the same to actually 4K HDR disc movies .)

fizzter 03-18-2017 02:42 PM

Cool thanks.

Looks like HLG isn't native to the set, but some are hopeful for a firmware update. I won't hold my breath. :)

checker9 03-18-2017 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizzter (Post 51605833)
Cool thanks.

Looks like HLG isn't native to the set, but some are hopeful for a firmware update. I won't hold my breath. :)

HLG is going to be the standard for over-the-air broadcasted HDR.