Black uniformity of edge lit versus FALD - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By BFJ 96
  • 1 Post By 8mile13

Old 03-17-2017, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1502 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Black uniformity of edge lit versus FALD

Most people indicate that the Vizio P65 and now the X900E Sony have much better blacks than edge lit dimming TVs like the KS8000. It seems that dark scenes with a few bright object causes the most problem, which is the test pattern Rtings uses to test black uniformity (solid black screen with a white cross in middle.) So the black uniformity test should be the most difficult for edge lit dimming versus a FALD set, yet if you take that rtings black uniformity test for the Vizio P65, the new Sony X900E and the KS8000, blow them up to a full page, the KS8000 clearly has the better black uniformity. See for yourself, put each of these images into three different browser tab, and click on them back and forth to see the differences, and you will see many more bluish/purplish, light bleeding splotches across the screens of the P65 and the Sony X900E than on the Samsung KS8000 screen:

Vizio P series: http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/p...mity-large.jpg

Sony X900E: http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/x...mity-large.jpg

KS8000: http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/k...mity-large.jpg

FALD should produce much better black uniformity, so what explains what these three tests show?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2017, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I own a p65 and the black uniformity is perfect just as rtings has indicated. I have owned several high-end samsungs. They are great for daytime viewing and scaling low res material. Terrible when the lights go out . P65 is the opposite. Great at night and the best gaming tv ever...but I wouldn't have bought it if my main purpose was watching cable. I cannot comment on the Sony 900.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Forgot to mention have all black wallpaper on my desktop hooked up to the vizio. This is how I know about its black uniformity and lack thier of for the sammy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2017, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlys View Post
I own a p65 and the black uniformity is perfect just as rtings has indicated. I have owned several high-end samsungs. They are great for daytime viewing and scaling low res material. Terrible when the lights go out . P65 is the opposite. Great at night and the best gaming tv ever...but I wouldn't have bought it if my main purpose was watching cable. I cannot comment on the Sony 900.
I am not trying to argue the edge lit is better, what I am wondering is why those test pictures show that the Sony X900E has a lot of blue-purple blotches across the screen, and the P65 has less than the Sony but still quit a few, and the KS8000 has almost none. Blow up those pictures in three separate tabs and click on them back and forth and you will see what I mean. Perhaps rtings got abnormal TVs, but it is odd that the two FALD shows those light bleed issues and the edge lit does not.

It really could be pictures labeled wrong for the TV I guess. Some people have pointed the same thing with other TVs Rtings reviewed, where ratings would rank uniformity high then when you looked at the pictures you would see light bleed issues or good pictures and low scores. They might mix them up. I had noticed it between the Rtings review of the P65 and the KS8000 before but never asked about it but now that another FALD, the Sony X900E, shows even more, I am wondering.

Last edited by checker9; 03-17-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 106
The reason why you see clouding on the 900E is because rtings does the black uniformity test with LD Off on sets.

All sets that offer a dimming feature will show clouding when they feature IS Off.

Now turning it on is a different story, especially when local dimming is on, you get excellent blacks and excellent screen uniformity

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Madmax67 and checker9 like this.

Last edited by BFJ 96; 03-18-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2348 Post(s)
Liked: 1350
Sony HX950 FALD Local Dimming off-low-mid-high option (the higher it gets the more agressive ''zone dimming'' is).

BFJ 96 likes this.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 254 Post(s)
Quoted: 12490 Post(s)
Liked: 11670
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
Most people indicate that the Vizio P65 and now the X900E Sony have much better blacks than edge lit dimming TVs like the KS8000. It seems that dark scenes with a few bright object causes the most problem, which is the test pattern Rtings uses to test black uniformity (solid black screen with a white cross in middle.) So the black uniformity test should be the most difficult for edge lit dimming versus a FALD set, yet if you take that rtings black uniformity test for the Vizio P65, the new Sony X900E and the KS8000, blow them up to a full page, the KS8000 clearly has the better black uniformity. See for yourself, put each of these images into three different browser tab, and click on them back and forth to see the differences, and you will see many more bluish/purplish, light bleeding splotches across the screens of the P65 and the Sony X900E than on the Samsung KS8000 screen:

Vizio P series: http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/p...mity-large.jpg

Sony X900E: http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/x...mity-large.jpg

KS8000: http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/k...mity-large.jpg

FALD should produce much better black uniformity, so what explains what these three tests show?

Its a horrible and misleading test by rtings since dimming is turned off and does not represent any type of real world application. They can grab 5 panels of the same model and the uniformity will all be different with the dimming off on those panels.

The dimming score though I much more meaningful by 1000x, to which the ks8000 has a very low score.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2132 Post(s)
Liked: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
Sony HX950 FALD Local Dimming off-low-mid-high option (the higher it gets the more agressive ''zone dimming'' is).

(snip)

[/IMG]
Nice dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement