*OFFICIAL* 2017 Sony XBR-X940E - Owner's ONLY Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 124 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8699Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3691 of 9431 Old 10-29-2017, 12:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJI1a View Post
Could someone check this for me.

Thank you in advance
There is a slight backward tilt (just like my last Sony). I shimmed the back of the stand about 1/2 inch to straighten the display. I don’t know why Sony does this. I think it looks much better straight up.
JJI1a likes this.

Last edited by Carl940; 10-29-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Carl940 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3692 of 9431 Old 10-29-2017, 05:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Been following this thread since the beginning and want to steer it back towards gaming. Had my heart set on the 940E based on my size requirement (currently own a 70" 2012 Sharp Aquos).Then I was heartbroken when all the bad reviews started showing up with regards to motion blur issues and lag when gaming. My viewing habits are 70% movies/tv and 30% gaming. I watch a lot of live sports but that's not a concern for me because of all the positive feedback with respect to watching live sports on this tv. I do game a lot. Not a big first person shooter type. Mostly online sports games i.e. NBA2K and Madden on the PS4. Will upgrading to a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X resolve the motion and lag issues on this set due to better response times with a 4K game source (24.0 ms [email protected] htz)? Or will it make no difference since these consoles mostly up convert to 4K resolutions so the motion issues will still persist? I have been considering the 75 inch 900E because of all the great reviews, especially for gaming and loving the savings but the lack of Dolby Vision has me hesitant. I know how Dolby Vision and HDR in general (consumer tv's not fully capable to support DV till 12 bit panels with much higher peak brightness become available for consumers and the industry standards as a whole on HDR not being on the same page) is still in its infancy but as foolish as it sounds, no DV support in the 900E and being so close to finding out what 2018 will bring is what's holding me back right now. I think I'm at the point where I'm obsessed and over researching everything and it's messing up my decision making (lol, if that's a thing). I already have everything I need to enjoy a new tv. Things like DV content sources, Dolby Atmos setup with an HDR10 and DV capable receiver. Don't need a UHD player because I stream everything from a server to my Nvidia Shield (all my HDR and DV movies and tv shows are whole UHD rips) although I will have to find a different solution if Nvidia doesn't push an update for DV support. Please, any advice is welcome because I am stuck and don't know what to do.
Bangerbox likes this.
Mre_man is offline  
post #3693 of 9431 Old 10-29-2017, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PSBMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto,Canada
Posts: 1,123
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 184
*OFFICIAL* 2017 Sony XBR-X940E - Owner's Thread (No Price Talk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mre_man View Post
Been following this thread since the beginning and want to steer it back towards gaming. Had my heart set on the 940E based on my size requirement (currently own a 70" 2012 Sharp Aquos).Then I was heartbroken when all the bad reviews started showing up with regards to motion blur issues and lag when gaming. My viewing habits are 70% movies/tv and 30% gaming. I watch a lot of live sports but that's not a concern for me because of all the positive feedback with respect to watching live sports on this tv. I do game a lot. Not a big first person shooter type. Mostly online sports games i.e. NBA2K and Madden on the PS4. Will upgrading to a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X resolve the motion and lag issues on this set due to better response times with a 4K game source (24.0 ms [email protected] htz)? Or will it make no difference since these consoles mostly up convert to 4K resolutions so the motion issues will still persist? I have been considering the 75 inch 900E because of all the great reviews, especially for gaming and loving the savings but the lack of Dolby Vision has me hesitant. I know how Dolby Vision and HDR in general (consumer tv's not fully capable to support DV till 12 bit panels with much higher peak brightness become available for consumers and the industry standards as a whole on HDR not being on the same page) is still in its infancy but as foolish as it sounds, no DV support in the 900E and being so close to finding out what 2018 will bring is what's holding me back right now. I think I'm at the point where I'm obsessed and over researching everything and it's messing up my decision making (lol, if that's a thing). I already have everything I need to enjoy a new tv. Things like DV content sources, Dolby Atmos setup with an HDR10 and DV capable receiver. Don't need a UHD player because I stream everything from a server to my Nvidia Shield (all my HDR and DV movies and tv shows are whole UHD rips) although I will have to find a different solution if Nvidia doesn't push an update for DV support. Please, any advice is welcome because I am stuck and don't know what to do.


Well, the 900E won't be getting DV. Does that make the Decision easier ?

There are available settings on the 940E that make the gaming experience better.......


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
audiofan1 likes this.

Sony 75XBR940E
ATV4K
Sony UBP-X700
Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar
PSBMAN is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3694 of 9431 Old 10-29-2017, 07:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSBMAN View Post
Well, the 900E won't be getting DV. Does that make the Decision easier ?

There are available settings on the 940E that make the gaming experience better.......


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is that coming from experience and if so what type of games are you talking about. I really need some feedback from some Madden and NBA2K players to get a good feel for what my gaming experience will be.
Mre_man is offline  
post #3695 of 9431 Old 10-29-2017, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PSBMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto,Canada
Posts: 1,123
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mre_man View Post
Is that coming from experience and if so what type of games are you talking about. I really need some feedback from some Madden and NBA2K players to get a good feel for what my gaming experience will be.


I'm no gamer. However, after seeing my TV last week, my Neighbour bought one Friday evening and we played some mortal Kombat PS4 to see what it looked like. It was fun and the TV never missed a beat.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony 75XBR940E
ATV4K
Sony UBP-X700
Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar
PSBMAN is online now  
post #3696 of 9431 Old 10-29-2017, 07:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Picasso Moon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 34
  1. Quote:
    Originally Posted by ROMIL View Post
    Wait, your primary source is satellite/cable approaching 2018!? Get with the times and cut the cord!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMIL View Post

J/K
Seriously though, I cut the cord about four years ago and haven't regretted it for one second. Save a ton of money every month too, even with subscriptions to four streaming services.


Thanks guys. I wish there was some way to view various sources at retailers but they all seem determined to show only their 4k loops and nothing else. Maybe a 65" would be a better choice. It certainly would be more cost effective.

As far as cutting the cord, I enjoy watching live sports and haven't figured out how to do that without cable/sat. Additionally, the new new house is outside of town and served only by DSL. I'm guessing I will be lucky to get 20mb down at best and much, much lower during peak times so I'm not sure how high quality streaming is going to work out until I move in. Even getting an HD stream is probably going to be hit or miss and forget 4k HDR.

Last edited by Picasso Moon; 10-30-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Picasso Moon is offline  
post #3697 of 9431 Old 10-29-2017, 07:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks for your help. Any technical guys in here. Really want to know if I'm living a pipe dream to think that I'll be ok with motion and lag if I keep the games limited to [email protected] being the specs show a respectable 24ms.
Mre_man is offline  
post #3698 of 9431 Old 10-29-2017, 07:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso Moon View Post


Thanks guys. I wish there was some way to view various sources at retailers but they all seem determined to show only their 4k loops and nothing else. Maybe a 65" would be a better choice. It certainly would be more cost effective.

As far as cutting the cord, I enjoy watching live sports and haven't figured out how to do that without cable/sat. Additionally, the new new house is outside of town and served only by DSL. I'm guessing I will be lucky to get 20mb down at best and much, much lower during peak times so I'm not sure how high quality streaming is going to work out until I move in. Even getting an HD stream is probably going to be hit or miss and forget 4k HDR.
There are many ways to cut and not miss a beat on anything, including live sports and tv. I haven't had DirecTV since April but you make an excellent point. 20 mb down is pretty low, not to mention peak hours but I think you can still manage. If your interested pm me and I'll give you the scoop.
Mre_man is offline  
post #3699 of 9431 Old 10-29-2017, 08:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Picasso Moon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mre_man View Post
There are many ways to cut and not miss a beat on anything, including live sports and tv. I haven't had DirecTV since April but you make an excellent point. 20 mb down is pretty low, not to mention peak hours but I think you can still manage. If your interested pm me and I'll give you the scoop.
Thanks. Let me get moved and settled in so I will know exactly what I'm working with. After I'm there a few months I'll have an idea of what kind of service that is available.


Last edited by Picasso Moon; 10-30-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Picasso Moon is offline  
post #3700 of 9431 Old 10-29-2017, 09:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso Moon View Post


Thanks. Let me get moved and settled in so I will know exactly what I'm working with. After I'm there a few months I'll have an idea of what kind of service that is available.

Sounds like a plan
Mre_man is offline  
post #3701 of 9431 Old 10-30-2017, 05:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mre_man View Post
Been following this thread since the beginning and want to steer it back towards gaming. Had my heart set on the 940E based on my size requirement (currently own a 70" 2012 Sharp Aquos).Then I was heartbroken when all the bad reviews started showing up with regards to motion blur issues and lag when gaming. My viewing habits are 70% movies/tv and 30% gaming. I watch a lot of live sports but that's not a concern for me because of all the positive feedback with respect to watching live sports on this tv. I do game a lot. Not a big first person shooter type. Mostly online sports games i.e. NBA2K and Madden on the PS4. Will upgrading to a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X resolve the motion and lag issues on this set due to better response times with a 4K game source (24.0 ms [email protected] htz)? Or will it make no difference since these consoles mostly up convert to 4K resolutions so the motion issues will still persist? I have been considering the 75 inch 900E because of all the great reviews, especially for gaming and loving the savings but the lack of Dolby Vision has me hesitant. I know how Dolby Vision and HDR in general (consumer tv's not fully capable to support DV till 12 bit panels with much higher peak brightness become available for consumers and the industry standards as a whole on HDR not being on the same page) is still in its infancy but as foolish as it sounds, no DV support in the 900E and being so close to finding out what 2018 will bring is what's holding me back right now. I think I'm at the point where I'm obsessed and over researching everything and it's messing up my decision making (lol, if that's a thing). I already have everything I need to enjoy a new tv. Things like DV content sources, Dolby Atmos setup with an HDR10 and DV capable receiver. Don't need a UHD player because I stream everything from a server to my Nvidia Shield (all my HDR and DV movies and tv shows are whole UHD rips) although I will have to find a different solution if Nvidia doesn't push an update for DV support. Please, any advice is welcome because I am stuck and don't know what to do.
The struggle is real,im a huge gamer and collector...my struggle began around this time last year with the 930d but the whole "bendgate" issue drove me away,...was looking at the 930e,...but was worried about edge light bleed,....finally my choices were between the 75 z9d or 940e,....paying 7000.00 + for a tv was bothering me and i have a bust a$$ job,....finally last week pulled the trigger on the 940 when it was on sale at bb,my whole concern was all the slow pixel response time for gaming which would break my heart,....well,.....the tv gods have poured their blessing upon me because gaming on this beast has been nothing but pure bliss,....i did the research like im sure you did,...seen the many videos from owners stating that the motion blur made gaming on this tv impossible,....but i have seen NOTHING,...dont know if i just got lucky,the recent update fixed it,but for the life of me dont know what those people were seeing,..and iv only seen motion judder once during a movie and it was because i was looking for it,....the only complaint i have is minor screen uniformity that only shows up on certain menus but not in real content,..... unfortunately i dont have (yet) the ps4 pro and all my testing has been on the original ps4 and xbox one,but if im having not trouble with game lag with 1080p which according to reviews way higher than 4k i dont see that being a problem as well as motion blur with 4k games,only other issue im having is that sometimes when i go to the home screen or the input where i have my computer the picture is dim,not vibrant bright like when i first turn the tv on ,going to do some research on that but otherwise this tv is a keeper and coming from a 52inch 75 is epic,....hope everything turns out good for you,...the struggle is real,be strong.
Bangerbox likes this.
TATITO is offline  
post #3702 of 9431 Old 10-30-2017, 05:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrouleyarl View Post
Holy Crap! I just saw the 5 year warranty on the 940e from Best Buy is $1k. If you purchased from best buy, did you buy a warranty and if so, which one?
the 2 year at 430.00,...and after that is up the sales rep told me i could renew it for another 2,....insurance price on these tv are ridiculous,...lol,...the z9d had only 5 year plan as an option for the price of a 65 900e....the struggle is real,....be strong and the tv gods will bless you with the 940e.
TATITO is offline  
post #3703 of 9431 Old 10-30-2017, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,247
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6063
Is there any reason we have to use quadruple times font in our posts?
robdman and audiofan1 like this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Uverse / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is online now  
post #3704 of 9431 Old 10-30-2017, 08:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 92
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATITO View Post
The struggle is real,im a huge gamer and collector...my struggle began around this time last year with the 930d but the whole "bendgate" issue drove me away,...was looking at the 930e,...but was worried about edge light bleed,....finally my choices were between the 75 z9d or 940e,....paying 7000.00 + for a tv was bothering me and i have a bust a$$ job,....finally last week pulled the trigger on the 940 when it was on sale at bb,my whole concern was all the slow pixel response time for gaming which would break my heart,....well,.....the tv gods have poured their blessing upon me because gaming on this beast has been nothing but pure bliss,....i did the research like im sure you did,...seen the many videos from owners stating that the motion blur made gaming on this tv impossible,....but i have seen NOTHING,...dont know if i just got lucky,the recent update fixed it,but for the life of me dont know what those people were seeing,..and iv only seen motion judder once during a movie and it was because i was looking for it,....the only complaint i have is minor screen uniformity that only shows up on certain menus but not in real content,..... unfortunately i dont have (yet) the ps4 pro and all my testing has been on the original ps4 and xbox one,but if im having not trouble with game lag with 1080p which according to reviews way higher than 4k i dont see that being a problem as well as motion blur with 4k games,only other issue im having is that sometimes when i go to the home screen or the input where i have my computer the picture is dim,not vibrant bright like when i first turn the tv on ,going to do some research on that but otherwise this tv is a keeper and coming from a 52inch 75 is epic,....hope everything turns out good for you,...the struggle is real,be strong.
That's what I wanted to hear. So having a PS4 Pro should definitely help because the 2 games I'll be playing are extremely popular so they run native [email protected] htz. I can't thank you enough for your feedback because gaming is huge for me and I really wanted the Dolby Vision support. At the very least I can return it if it does not perform the way I hope it will.
Mre_man is offline  
post #3705 of 9431 Old 10-30-2017, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,783
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6788 Post(s)
Liked: 6790
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATITO View Post
the 2 year at 430.00,...and after that is up the sales rep told me i could renew it for another 2,....insurance price on these tv are ridiculous,...lol,...the z9d had only 5 year plan as an option for the price of a 65 900e....the struggle is real,....be strong and the tv gods will bless you with the 940e.
You can add a insurance policy to any TV. Plenty of provider's on the internet for far less cost......
robdman and tysonmax like this.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #3706 of 9431 Old 10-30-2017, 10:07 AM
Member
 
neod192's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg.Ca View Post
New Firmware was installed last night on my 75" 940E. It was late at night and I didn't have time to research. I have no idea what the new software did. Can someone enlighten me as to what the new software did. Dolby Vision?? --Greg--
What's the version of the latest update? I got my TV this weekend and did the Software update, but I'm on Version 7.0 w/ July Security patch. Rtings lists is as PKG6.2669.0070NAA, but I don't see that on my about page. Am I current or missing an update (see attachment)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	About.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	895.3 KB
ID:	2307458  
neod192 is offline  
post #3707 of 9431 Old 10-30-2017, 10:25 AM
 
alexanderg823's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,449
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3128 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
My buddy got a 940e last week, I helped him set it up, looked great on day one. Then after some use over the weekend exactly half the screen began to look washed out. Factory reset 3 times, no difference. Is this just straight up defective?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171030-122333_1509380716727.png
Views:	198
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	2307466  
alexanderg823 is offline  
post #3708 of 9431 Old 10-30-2017, 10:29 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by neod192 View Post
What's the version of the latest update? I got my TV this weekend and did the Software update, but I'm on Version 7.0 w/ July Security patch. Rtings lists is as PKG6.2669.0070NAA, but I don't see that on my about page. Am I current or missing an update (see attachment)?
I got my X940E this weekend also. I installed the latest firmware dated 10-3-2017. It is not the Dolby Vision update. I spoke to SONY support this morning. They confirmed the X940E will get the Dolby Vision update, but would not estimate when. This is what the SONY website says about the October 3, 2017 firmware up date.




Benefitsprovided by previous updates and included in version PKG6.2669.0070NAA.


The sectionbelow provides a list of benefits provided by previous updates and included inthe latest System Software Update.

  • Adds support for the Amazon® Alexa™ app that runs onAmazon Echo™ devices
  • Resolves an issue where optical digital sound sometimesstops
  • Resolves an issue where the TV speakers and the soundfrom the PS4 controller are out of sync
  • Resolves an issue where frame drops occur and the AV isout of sync when playing 4K HDR 60fps content
  • Adds support for the A2DP Bluetooth® profile
  • Adds support for PIP (Picture-in-Picture) while using anapp (watch TV in a small window while using an Android TV™ app)
  • Adds support for Hybrid Log-Gamma HDR content via HDMI®and USB/Home network
  • Improves the Settings screen to support changing settingswhile viewing TV (some exceptions may apply)
  • Adds support for task-switching (switch between previouslyused apps and the current app by holding down the HOME button on your remoteuntil the task-switching menu appears)
Carl940 is offline  
post #3709 of 9431 Old 10-30-2017, 10:31 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATITO View Post
The struggle is real,im a huge gamer and collector...my struggle began around this time last year with the 930d but the whole "bendgate" issue drove me away,...was looking at the 930e,...but was worried about edge light bleed,....finally my choices were between the 75 z9d or 940e,....paying 7000.00 + for a tv was bothering me and i have a bust a$$ job,....finally last week pulled the trigger on the 940 when it was on sale at bb,my whole concern was all the slow pixel response time for gaming which would break my heart,....well,.....the tv gods have poured their blessing upon me because gaming on this beast has been nothing but pure bliss,....i did the research like im sure you did,...seen the many videos from owners stating that the motion blur made gaming on this tv impossible,....but i have seen NOTHING,...dont know if i just got lucky,the recent update fixed it,but for the life of me dont know what those people were seeing,..and iv only seen motion judder once during a movie and it was because i was looking for it,....the only complaint i have is minor screen uniformity that only shows up on certain menus but not in real content,..... unfortunately i dont have (yet) the ps4 pro and all my testing has been on the original ps4 and xbox one,but if im having not trouble with game lag with 1080p which according to reviews way higher than 4k i dont see that being a problem as well as motion blur with 4k games,only other issue im having is that sometimes when i go to the home screen or the input where i have my computer the picture is dim,not vibrant bright like when i first turn the tv on ,going to do some research on that but otherwise this tv is a keeper and coming from a 52inch 75 is epic,....hope everything turns out good for you,...the struggle is real,be strong.
This is the feedback I asked for a month ago in this thread and didn't get. Glad I kept lurking. Thanks a mil!
Bangerbox is offline  
post #3710 of 9431 Old 10-30-2017, 10:39 AM
Member
 
neod192's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl940 View Post
I got my X940E this weekend also. I installed the latest firmware dated 10-3-2017. It is not the Dolby Vision update. I spoke to SONY support this morning. They confirmed the X940E will get the Dolby Vision update, but would not estimate when. This is what the SONY website says about the October 3, 2017 firmware up date.
Thanks, it looks like that's the version I have installed. I can use PIP, holding down home brings up recent apps and the settings menu is on the right side, over the content.
neod192 is offline  
post #3711 of 9431 Old 10-30-2017, 10:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Leander, TX
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderg823 View Post
My buddy got a 940e last week, I helped him set it up, looked great on day one. Then after some use over the weekend exactly half the screen began to look washed out. Factory reset 3 times, no difference. Is this just straight up defective?
To me, that doesn't look right at all. I'd be on the phone with the retailer to replace it asap.

Receiver: Denon AVR-X4300H
Bluray: Oppo UDP-203 & Oppo BDP-103
TV: Sony 75X940E [Calibrated by Doug @ LionAV]
Speakers: (3)NHT L5 On-Wall L/C/R, (3)NHT SuperOne Xu (Rears)
Subs: HSU VTF3-MK5 HP & Paradigm PS-1200
Max_Headroom is offline  
post #3712 of 9431 Old 10-30-2017, 10:56 AM
Member
 
Prophizee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderg823 View Post
My buddy got a 940e last week, I helped him set it up, looked great on day one. Then after some use over the weekend exactly half the screen began to look washed out. Factory reset 3 times, no difference. Is this just straight up defective?
Had the same exact problrm gotta it replaced asap

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Prophizee is offline  
post #3713 of 9431 Old 10-30-2017, 10:59 AM
Member
 
neod192's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Google Assistant

Let's talk about the Google Assistant compatibility with this TV. I have Google Home and I use Google Assistant for everything else in the house. I know Google Assistant will come to the TV in the future, I'm interested in Google Home's ability to control / cast content to the TV.

Here's what I know so far:
- I can cast things to the TV - Google Photos works, but Netflix doesn't
- Netflix requires Cast version 1.21 or later - what version do we have (I'm not home to check)? Google's current version for Android TV is 1.27.96538​​.
- I can't control the TV from Google Home (power on, Volume, Change channels, Etc)

So, from what I can tell, it works like a Chromecast device, but missing the Netflix integration. Am I missing something here? I thought Assistant compatibility was going to be better.

Also, what's up with the lack of a VUDU app for Android TV? I have to use my phone to cast movies to it and it doesn't do it in 4k ...

How do I use the remove for voice search in the Netflix app? When I go to search is just brings up the hard-to-use on-screen keyboard.

Does anyone find the screen mirroring function useless? I tried it from my Surface Pro 3 and it failed to connect on the first 2 attempts. It connected on the 3rd try, but the lag made it unusable. It was about 15 seconds! And after a few seconds of using it, it make the TV disconnect from Wi-Fi. Casting through Chrome was a much better experience.

Thanks!

Last edited by neod192; 10-30-2017 at 06:02 PM.
neod192 is offline  
post #3714 of 9431 Old 10-30-2017, 11:33 AM
 
alexanderg823's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3,449
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3128 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophizee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderg823 View Post
My buddy got a 940e last week, I helped him set it up, looked great on day one. Then after some use over the weekend exactly half the screen began to look washed out. Factory reset 3 times, no difference. Is this just straight up defective?
Had the same exact problrm gotta it replaced asap

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Geez. Way too common it seems. So did you get it replaced? And no probs since?
alexanderg823 is offline  
post #3715 of 9431 Old 10-30-2017, 11:45 AM
Member
 
ccrouleyarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looks like You Tube TV will be coming. It looks like a pretty solid app.

Android Police: YouTube TV coming to Android TV, Xbox One, Apple TV, and smart TVs. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw4-LRvjY
ccrouleyarl is offline  
post #3716 of 9431 Old 10-30-2017, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PSBMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto,Canada
Posts: 1,123
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 184
I would be tickled pink if Sony could find away to have the TV use the 200 mbps internet speed I have, instead of the 34.58 it currently draws.

Sony 75XBR940E
ATV4K
Sony UBP-X700
Sony HT-ST5000 sound bar
PSBMAN is online now  
post #3717 of 9431 Old 10-30-2017, 01:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Leander, TX
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by neod192 View Post
Also, what's up with the lack of a VUDU app for Android TV? I have to use my phone to cast movies to it and it doesn't do it in 4k ...
My 800D has the VUDU app and I assume my 940E does too. Its just not near the left side, but its in there. I may have added it through their app store, but it should be available. I hate that you can't reorganize the apps in Android TV. Makes using the Roku for everything a much better UX.

Receiver: Denon AVR-X4300H
Bluray: Oppo UDP-203 & Oppo BDP-103
TV: Sony 75X940E [Calibrated by Doug @ LionAV]
Speakers: (3)NHT L5 On-Wall L/C/R, (3)NHT SuperOne Xu (Rears)
Subs: HSU VTF3-MK5 HP & Paradigm PS-1200
Max_Headroom is offline  
post #3718 of 9431 Old 10-30-2017, 01:31 PM
Member
 
neod192's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Headroom View Post
My 800D has the VUDU app and I assume my 940E does too. Its just not near the left side, but its in there. I may have added it through their app store, but it should be available. I hate that you can't reorganize the apps in Android TV. Makes using the Roku for everything a much better UX.
Thx! I looked for the Vudu app in the list of installed apps and Play Store with no luck. To organize apps, press and hold the OK button. It'll then let you move the icons around.
Max_Headroom likes this.
neod192 is offline  
post #3719 of 9431 Old 10-30-2017, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
ROMIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 687
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSBMAN View Post
I would be tickled pink if Sony could find away to have the TV use the 200 mbps internet speed I have, instead of the 34.58 it currently draws.


Good luck with that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daimler2015 likes this.
ROMIL is offline  
post #3720 of 9431 Old 10-30-2017, 05:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Picasso Moon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Is there any reason we have to use quadruple times font in our posts?
Sorry about the font size. My normal laptop died Friday night so I was using an ancient backup laptop with an ancient browser because the OS is no longer supported. For whatever reason the font in reply window on that machine was so tiny I couldn't read it so I kicked up the font size to be able to see it. I didn't realize it posted that way to the board. I've fixed my original posts but can't do anything about the quoted posts that have the ginormous fonts in them. Sorry again.
audiofan1 and gadgtfreek like this.
Picasso Moon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
signal loss

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off