*OFFICIAL* 2017 Sony XBR-X940E - Owner's ONLY Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 227 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8758Likes

post #6781 of 9574 Old 04-16-2018, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked: 3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtiracer View Post
Thanks that worked. What exactly does cinemotion do and do you ever use it?

It’s for interlaced movie content not important for sports .

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6782 of 9574 Old 04-16-2018, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by neod192 View Post
I feel you .. I'm using a similar setup, but with a RX-A1040 - same generation, same HDCP 2.2 compatibility issue, just no Dolby Atmos support. The 3040 has some settings to adjust the audio delay. If it happens on all content sources (Fire TV and build-in apps), you can adjust it there. If it's only from the Fire TV, I'm not sure if the audio delay can be changed based on a preset on Yamaha so you can switch things back and forth ...

Keep in mind that while you can send a DD+ Atmos signal over ARC (what most apps from the Fire TV most likely use), it's not the lossless Atmos from TrueHD (that you would get from a UHD disc). If you add an UHD player to your setup, you'll want to send the audio directly to the receiver using an HDMI cable. I'm using a UBP-X700 4k player hooked up to the TV and audio directly to the 1040.
Keep in mind that "audio delay" settings exist to artificially delay the audio as a result of the video being delayed which is usually the issue (the additional video processing that usually occurs, be it scaling, interlacing, de-interlacing, re-processing, etc can create video delays and this is why the audio delay capabilities exist). What you two are describing, however, is not video delay. The "audio delay" setting on your amp can't magically make the audio come faster (but you do need to make sure it's at zero if for some reason you might have actually added a delay in the past)

Theater: Sony 75x940E | Yamaha 3060 | DirecTv HR54 | ATV4K | MP 4K HDBaseT Extender | SVS PC2000 sub | 5.1 surround
Networking: ASUS RT-AC68U (wireless disabled) | Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Wireless with wired back-hauls
Automation & Lighting: Control4 & Lutron Homeworks Interactive
post #6783 of 9574 Old 04-16-2018, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendSetterX View Post
Keep in mind that "audio delay" settings exist to artificially delay the audio as a result of the video being delayed which is usually the issue (the additional video processing that usually occurs, be it scaling, interlacing, de-interlacing, re-processing, etc can create video delays and this is why the audio delay capabilities exist). What you two are describing, however, is not video delay. The "audio delay" setting on your amp can't magically make the audio come faster (but you do need to make sure it's at zero if for some reason you might have actually added a delay in the past)
You're right! Ugh. The audio is behind the video, not ahead... I'm not sure what could help then.

I looked up my manual and the audio delay option is called Lypsync. It can be enabled / disabled for each input of the Yamaha and even integrated in scenes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6784 of 9574 Old 04-16-2018, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7141 Post(s)
Liked: 7181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophizee View Post
For me it's only on uhd disks. Maybe it is an oppo problem going to try the Xbox 1 x player tonight if I have the chance
I would like to know what the go to player is since the Oppo is no longer being made. Would be nice if Denon or Marantz picked up the technology
audiofan1 likes this.
post #6785 of 9574 Old 04-16-2018, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyone having issues with hdr content not working on when set to auto? Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I bought higher end hdmi cables thinking that was the problem, but nope. This is a biggier issue i have though...when I tried watching Dolby vision on the apps (amazon and netflix) direct from the tv and dv looks washed out and not as bright as regular hdr. What am i doing wrong? Thanks
post #6786 of 9574 Old 04-17-2018, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by legnaz View Post
Anyone having issues with hdr content not working on when set to auto? Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I bought higher end hdmi cables thinking that was the problem, but nope. This is a biggier issue i have though...when I tried watching Dolby vision on the apps (amazon and netflix) direct from the tv and dv looks washed out and not as bright as regular hdr. What am i doing wrong? Thanks
Try setting vivid color in High, color temperature neutral.
post #6787 of 9574 Old 04-17-2018, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Don't forget that DV has its own settings, different from HDR and SDR. So each input, including the built-in apps "input", has a number of different settings, one each for SDR, HDR and DV. Did you copy your HDR settings to the DV ones? You'll have to change the settings while watching actual DV content, of course.
post #6788 of 9574 Old 04-17-2018, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddawson View Post
Quote:
Don't forget that DV has its own settings, different from HDR and SDR. So each input, including the built-in apps "input", has a number of different settings, one each for SDR, HDR and DV. Did you copy your HDR settings to the DV ones? You'll have to change the settings while watching actual DV content, of course.
Thanks. I will try the suggestions mentioned. Any have dv setting they would like to share? When I am watching dv content, most of the settings are greyed out. I can't even select picture modes.
post #6789 of 9574 Old 04-17-2018, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
940e Static Overlay or cloud?

Hello All, I just found this 940e thread and I like to ask for help. Magnolia at best buy keep brushing me off with telling me this is normal. I dont know all the terms. but I understand there are some clouds to be visible from all brands. and I guess what they call grain or pixel issues that makes it look fogy or cloudy. but on my tv it seems that there is a layer of static all over the panel. I tried the TV apps (netflex, youtube, the 4k movie app), 4K players, ps4 pro, apple 4k tv and even a short 4K movie through the flash drive.

Its hard to capture the issue. I attached some files. but the best way I can explain it is as if you took a magnet and rub it all over your tv.

I tried searching the forum. I dont know where to start! so im sorry if its been covered before.

the bee.jpeg i believe is what they call grain or whatever im not sure, even though its 2160p file i dont know why it looks like that.

the static.jpg pictures are the once i call static. which you see all over the TV anytime and every time. even on the TV home screen. or even when I hard reset the TV you see it on the animated 4 icons.

Thanks,
Sam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bee.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	2392146   Click image for larger version

Name:	static.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	2392148   Click image for larger version

Name:	static1.PNG
Views:	145
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	2392150  
post #6790 of 9574 Old 04-18-2018, 03:08 AM

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Thanks. I will try the suggestions mentioned. Any have dv setting they would like to share? When I am watching dv content, most of the settings are greyed out. I can't even select picture modes.
"ht guy" posted a document of a few people's settings at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...l#post55158406. I think you'd be fine using the HDR settings for the DV preset.
post #6791 of 9574 Old 04-18-2018, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by teahouser View Post
Oh ok, I thought the tv was totally f'd, if you could use it for a couple weeks that makes sense. Good luck with the return I hope you get everything sorted.

Well, I looked at the paper my wife signed, and She signed the box that says “Shipper or agent” and not the box that says “Received in good condition by”. She didn’t have Her glasses on, but not sure if this makes a difference - but we never acknowledged that it was in “Good condition”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6792 of 9574 Old 04-18-2018, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Talking Success

[quote=bmack500;56011288][quote=robnix;56011030]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzalert View Post

So the TV was a warranty replacement for a 940d, so Sony arranged Shipping and everything. However, I just contacted the shipping company; it probably helps that I have cameras around my house and video of the delivery, but they may do something. They just requested pictures of the screen which I sent, and She had called back promptly. So either they are thinking of a reason why it's not their fault, or maybe they are going to file an insurance claim? I'm hoping...

In regards to testing it before they left, no they arrived early and were supposed to wait for me, but would not. My wife was completely unprepared and did not realize that She should have plugged it in first and then signed the paper. By the time I got there he was already moving the old tv out (in the packaging of the new one).
They are going to replace it. They don't want the old one back, so I have to do a "Field Scrap" of the old TV and snail mail documents to them. Interesting.
post #6793 of 9574 Old 04-19-2018, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I must have the worst luck. It seems my TV has developed a vertical band that goes straight down the centre of the TV. but the problem is its not just a vertical band, it almost seems like light leakage. Its much brighter than the rest of the screen. So best way to describe is it always appears the middle of the screen zone is lit up. So when playing a game and the character head or crosshair whatever it is there is a glowing halo around it all. And if you hit a light source than you see the band going all the way through. So angry. Have already organised a replacement from Sony. Coming monday. This will be TV #4 . Fingers crossed.
post #6794 of 9574 Old 04-19-2018, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What a frustrating TV. Never been as frustrated with the many Samsungs I own. Stupid black flashes still occuring only on Cable/Sat viewing. Oppo 203 and PS4 no issues. I have Verizon Fios client DVR box. Everything is running through Marantz SR7010 with Securomax high speed HDMI cables with an Aurum HDMI cable running from TV to receiver. This can’t be a hardware problem I’ve reset and reseated everything and it only seemed to pop up after the DV update as with everyone else (at least from what I can remember). At first I thought it was fixed because I hadn’t seen it since I received the latest update, however last night it kept flashing so badly we couldnt even finish watching Law and Order. This time around I notice the black flashes last a little longer than before in duration. Any help? Others have complained about this same issue but with Direct TV and Apple TV. @Cleveland Plasma you’ve been praising this set any inside from Sony about what’s going on and if this will be resolved soon? Should not be happening and ignored on a $4,000 TV!
post #6795 of 9574 Old 04-19-2018, 04:43 PM

Any thoughts

On the pictures I posted about my issue?

Thanks,
Sam
post #6796 of 9574 Old 04-19-2018, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I am going to pick up my X940E tomorrow. After reading the last couple of pages, I'm thinking I may have made a huge mistake. Are they really that bad?
post #6797 of 9574 Old 04-19-2018, 11:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwp View Post
I am going to pick up my X940E tomorrow. After reading the last couple of pages, I'm thinking I may have made a huge mistake. Are they really that bad?
Mine's been fine. People only only tend to post when there's a problem.
mnc likes this.

Looky here!
post #6798 of 9574 Old 04-20-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
Mine had problems the day I bought it. While the colors are amazing. I don’t want a layer of static on top of my TV in exchange. Not to mention clouds, fog, grain and whatever else people call them. My friend has a cheap sharp 4k and his Netflix 4k looks amazing comparing to mine. My Netflix 1080p looks better than 4k. I tried every Netflix player you can think of. Spent 20k at Best Buy. Never ever buying anything from Magnolia again. The worse customer service I have ever experienced. This is for the Roseville, California Store. I also bought 900e 65” from them. No problems great TV. Yet 940e 75” is garbage. My cousin has LG Oled TV. Yes you will see the clouds and all that junk and black camouflage it well. But no layer of what I call Static!
post #6799 of 9574 Old 04-20-2018, 12:50 AM

I tried very hard convincing myself it’s a great TV. And it is when it comes to colors and brightness. But comparing same movies, from the same players on other TV’s. Problems that appear on 940e do not appear on others. And that’s the bottom line for me.
post #6800 of 9574 Old 04-20-2018, 02:26 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamManso View Post
I tried very hard convincing myself it’s a great TV. And it is when it comes to colors and brightness. But comparing same movies, from the same players on other TV’s. Problems that appear on 940e do not appear on others. And that’s the bottom line for me.
Look lets be fair here. You got a dud. I will be on my 4th set come monday. But realistically this set is great i just think the QC is not.

The set i have atm is perfect except for the light bleed band up the centre. The annoying thing is i know for a fact it was not there when i got the TV and has developed. It also seems to be getting worse. However other than that the set is perfect.

I know its an issue but to say they look bad compared to other TVs? I looked at plenty and deliberated and came back to this set because it was so good. If you can get a good one its one of the best sets out there. I have spent the ahole day playing God Of War and even with the blemish it has absolutely blown me away.
post #6801 of 9574 Old 04-20-2018, 03:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2394 Post(s)
Liked: 3040
Still a great set for me! The PQ across the board for TV, Bluray ,Streaming and of course 4K HD is a pleasure to watch
post #6802 of 9574 Old 04-20-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Look lets be fair here. You got a dud. I will be on my 4th set come monday. But realistically this set is great i just think the QC is not.

The set i have atm is perfect except for the light bleed band up the centre. The annoying thing is i know for a fact it was not there when i got the TV and has developed. It also seems to be getting worse. However other than that the set is perfect.

I know its an issue but to say they look bad compared to other TVs? I looked at plenty and deliberated and came back to this set because it was so good. If you can get a good one its one of the best sets out there. I have spent the ahole day playing God Of War and even with the blemish it has absolutely blown me away.
Ya I think I have a bad one. When I say garbage I’m talking about mine. I already agree the colors are amazon. But believe me something is not right with this TV. I think Android OS is for sure one of those things, and it doesn’t set everything automatically like it’s claimed. even when it’s on Auto, anything I watch looks better when the picture settings are reset right there and then. 400 download speed. And still things just don’t look right. Magnolia BS me for months told me to try tons of things and I did. Sony, Samsung 4k players, PlayStation pro, Apple 4k.

The TV does look better when you compare it with other TVs. Even to OLED. BUT I’m tired of Noise. Too much noise on the screen. A complete overlay over the panel. And that makes me angry. I miss it when I used to watch TV and not focus on the junk over the panel. Which is why I like 900e.

This TV is confusing! I calle Sony they agree all 940e have biobolar issues. So if Sony agree why argue it.
post #6803 of 9574 Old 04-20-2018, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 360
What exactly do you mean by "the Sony 940E has biobolar issues" ?

Could you please define "biobolar" ?

On a side note, my Sony 940E purchased in September 2017 has never displayed any DSE, horizontal/vertical banding, screen corner "flashlights", blooming/haloing, widescreen image "washout", dead pixels, FALD poor performance, etc, etc, etc.

I don't know if it was a matter of luck or not but my set has a beautiful & mesmerizing picture, especially on those difficult scenes consisting mostly of near-black, low-level detail images.
I have been seeing details on such scenes on my 940E that i never noticed with my previous set, a Runco LED projector.

On the other hand, if my set wasn't up to my expectations and displayed any problems i would have immediately called Geek Squad to demand delivery of another set thus giving Sony one more chance, but i definitely would have given up on the idea of owning the 940E if the second set also turned out to be poorly performing.

Personally, i am not willing to play "panel lottery" more than twice.
ggw2000 likes this.

Sony XBR-940E, Integra DHC-80.2, Oppo 103, Sound Lab A-1 electrostatic speakers,SVS PC12-NSD subs, InnerSound Electrostatic Amp,, Hafler 220 amp, Harman Kardon PA5800 amp, Pioneer LD-W1, Darbee Darblet, DVDO iScan Mini, Nvidia Shield, Yamaha CR-7, Koss ESP/950, Stax SR-40, Audeze Isine 10, etc, etc.
post #6804 of 9574 Old 04-20-2018, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Well, I got a little spooked & paid and extra $250 for a 4 year in home warranty & a wall mount.
post #6805 of 9574 Old 04-20-2018, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwp View Post
Are they really that bad?
The 940e overall is a great panel and I guarantee you are going to dig it. It's not perfect. No panel is.

-Many of us experience dimming in the corners. I got used to this quickly but there IS a noticeable vignette effect.
-It still doesn't support Dolby vision off of disks, 15 months after I bought mine. Yes you can get DV off of Apple TV. That's not why I bought this TV. I have a dozen DV disks I can't play in that format today. I can on my LG OLED. I am dubious that we will see any decks supporting Sony's half assed implementation any time soon.
-The price is still very high for what you get. Yes, OLEDs are generally more expensive at every size, but the premium for going to 75" is bigger than going OLED when looking at comparable 65"ers.

If you can live with those 3 then you are golden. At least buyers these days are going in with more info than us early adopters had. That's the risk of being an early buyer.

Let the downvoting commence. =)

Buncha savages in this town.... - Clerks

Sam Posten
post #6806 of 9574 Old 04-20-2018, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post
The 940e overall is a great panel and I guarantee you are going to dig it. It's not perfect. No panel is.

-Many of us experience dimming in the corners. I got used to this quickly but there IS a noticeable vignette effect.
The vignetted effect is definitely there. Also, advertisers often add this effect to their video to force the viewers eyes towards whatever they're selling. That brings me to a question - has anyone noticed any diminishing of the dim corners effect? I have a 940D and over the nearly 2 years that I've owned it the dark corner issue is almost gone on my set. When I first got it I was disappointed to see this problem and cooked up several single color images, white, black, red, etc. to better see how bad it really was. Turned out it was less evident on my set than in the pictures I saw posted by owners with this problem. After a couple of months I stopped noticing it. Then recently I read a couple of posts mentioning this issue I realized that it was nearly gone on my set. Not sure how it could have happened the set has not been serviced. I looked at those colored screens again to confirm my impression. Maybe I'm nuts, I dunno but I'm convinced my set has cleaned up its act somehow.
Kadath likes this.
post #6807 of 9574 Old 04-20-2018, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Mine's been fine.
I'd echo that. Other than the Dolby Vision issue and no 4K from VUDU (both Android and tvOS apps), I haven't had any problems with my 940E. I get 4K from my DIRECTV, Oppo 203, TV 4K, and the 940E's Amazon and Netflix apps.

Sony XBR-75X940E
Onkyo TX-NR797
DIRECTV HS17 + C61K
Oppo UDP-203
TV 4K

Last edited by R8ders2K; 04-20-2018 at 03:40 PM.
post #6808 of 9574 Old 04-20-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post
What exactly do you mean by "the Sony 940E has biobolar issues" ?

Could you please define "biobolar" ?

On a side note, my Sony 940E purchased in September 2017 has never displayed any DSE, horizontal/vertical banding, screen corner "flashlights", blooming/haloing, widescreen image "washout", dead pixels, FALD poor performance, etc, etc, etc.

I don't know if it was a matter of luck or not but my set has a beautiful & mesmerizing picture, especially on those difficult scenes consisting mostly of near-black, low-level detail images.
I have been seeing details on such scenes on my 940E that i never noticed with my previous set, a Runco LED projector.

On the other hand, if my set wasn't up to my expectations and displayed any problems i would have immediately called Geek Squad to demand delivery of another set thus giving Sony one more chance, but i definitely would have given up on the idea of owning the 940E if the second set also turned out to be poorly performing.

Personally, i am not willing to play "panel lottery" more than twice.
What I mean is it’s not consistent. It froze on me before, lost all TV settings and few times it has completely turned off and never turned back on. That was scary. Went to work and came back and it was fine. Some of these issues went away after I deleted Alexa app and some video apps downloaded from the App Store.

Your right. I should have exchanged it right away. I had 45 days as Best Buy elite member. But they kept convincing me it’s cloud issue and it’s normal. And even after 45 days they’ll still help me for sure. Sounded good to me. And that I should try all these other devices like Apple 4k TV. Which I did try bunch of combo of devices and did so many different test cases and correlation. All that takes weeks. I have life beside my TV. I realized later that the cloud thing and that overlay on top of my TV panel are two different issues. You can even see it on Best Buy demo models if you look closely because it’s so bright in there. Just not as noticeable as mine.

In the graphics chipset world we would call it an overlay of junk/noise or corruption. Because of the drivers. I don’t know what you would call it in the TV world.

Magnolia guaranteed me they’ll do something about it and time was not an issue. BUT the main manager has left with my issue in the air. New managers completely say otherwise. The sales person is a lair and they all support each other and bs their way around it. Called Best Buy corporate never got back to me but forwarded my issue to Magnolia main office. They called and basically said it will be up to the store. Magnolia main headquarters sounds like a shady car mechanic. Not that car mechanics are bad people I'm just saying.

Sony said your black should be black and white should be white and you shouldn’t see anything in-front of it.

As I am a PC computer guy and Apple gadget guy. If I wish anyone would make TV’s it would be Apple 75” TV that looks like their computer screens.

Last edited by SamManso; 04-20-2018 at 05:08 PM.
post #6809 of 9574 Old 04-20-2018, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Somehow my 940e has managed to not be able to use the antenna. I can scan and find 24 channels, but before I can do anything, it switch to 5 channels that are blank and not static (channels 2,3,4,5,6). If I try to manually enter 4.1 - nothing happens. The self diagnosis finds nothing.

I'm not sure how to get the tv to access the digital channels.

<edit to add> Did the obvious and seemed to work. Detached the antenna cable and re-attached and that seemed to reset the TV's ability to recognize digital channels on the re-scan.

Last edited by groundblizzard; 04-20-2018 at 09:35 PM.
post #6810 of 9574 Old 04-21-2018, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

-It still doesn't support Dolby vision off of disks, 15 months after I bought mine. Yes you can get DV off of Apple TV. That's not why I bought this TV. I have a dozen DV disks I can't play in that format today. I can on my LG OLED. I am dubious that we will see any decks supporting Sony's half assed implementation any time soon.
-The price is still very high for what you get. Yes, OLEDs are generally more expensive at every size, but the premium for going to 75" is bigger than going OLED when looking at comparable 65"ers.

If you can live with those 3 then you are golden. At least buyers these days are going in with more info than us early adopters had. That's the risk of being an early buyer.

Let the downvoting commence. =)
The Sony X700 should have DV support in a few months...
mnc and audiofan1 like this.

Sony XBR 77A9G - Sony STR-DH790 ATMOS - Sony UBP-X700 UHD BD Player - 2019 Shield TV Pro - 2019 Roku Ultra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
signal loss

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page